Under Shanahan, offensive linemen get into the zone

We've written previously about the successful zone blocking scheme Coach Mike Shanahan would bring from Denver to the Redskins. With two minicamps and one organized team activity completed, we were curious about how the offensive line has taken to Shanhan's concepts.

Apparently, they're all in.

"It's been great," right guard Mike Williams said after practice Wednesday. "We've been moving out there, really running and getting to where we're supposed to be. You can just see how fast we're going. The way Coach Shanahan does it, you've got to move fast. Look at me. I need some rest."

Every NFL team has zone elements in run blocking, and the Redskins under former coach Jim Zorn ran zone stuff about 80 percent of the time last season, former assistant coaches say, but the difference in Shanahan's zone scheme "is just the speed we're doing everything," Williams said. "Guys don't have to wait for stuff to develop and think to themselves [about the defense], 'Is this guy going to be here? Do I have to wait to see what's going to happen over there? Now, we just come off the ball and get to our 'landmarks.' The defense says it to us all the time, 'Man, you guys are moving.'"

The Redskins' running back will benefit from Shanahan's zone approach, Williams said. "I know I'd be happy if I was one" of Washington's backs, Williams said. "Real good."

By Jason Reid  |  May 21, 2010; 1:02 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Could Moss situation cause Redskins to re-consider Terrell Owens?
Next: Donovan McNabb makes heroic return to Chicago in ESPN episode

Comments

Posted by: jgr007 | May 21, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd move Albert Haynesworth by trading him to the Super Bowl aiming San Diego Chargers for Vincent Jackson straight up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 12:36 PM |

I and many others have long since tired of the blah, blah, blah over Haynie not showing up at OTAs. But I do get a chuckle or two when I see the trade suggestions where we get a top flight player for an overweight, out-of-shape one with a bad attitude. Today it is Vince Jackson. Wasn't it Andre Johnson yesterday? Wonder who it will be tomorrow.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | May 21, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes, and let's take that Sharon Tate thingy out of the equation when considering Charles Manson for the Supreme Court.

Posted by: TheCork | May 21, 2010 11:27 AM |

Dude - it might be time to think about using more up-to-date analogies. Like ones the current generation would have a decent chance of knowing a thingy or two about.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | May 21, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

This is good to hear

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sharon Tate and A la Charles Manson is taking it back

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 21, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Look at me. I need some rest." I say this almost every day after work.

As long as we don't become known across the league as dirty cut-blockers/chop-blockers, like the Broncos' O line once was, I'm all for it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FourthAndOne

Brandon Marshall and Reggie Wayne in a three team deal.

Make it happen.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

I'm sure they will be known for that. Same guy. Same philosophy.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

As long as the Skins are winning I could care less if they chop block or not.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Can we go by the fact that that offensive juggernaut, the Buffalo Bills, cut him for reasons that apparently had nothing to do with locker-room or off-the-field troubles? You guys who are lobbying for the 'Skins to sign TO need to just quit it. THE GUY CAN'T PLAY ANYMORE.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 21, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 21, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Just came back from the Taste of 12 @ the Verizon Center.....There was a range of food from Fantastic(Aramark), Great (Finn & Porter), Good (Nando's), Aaight (La Tasca), AND Ugly (Morton's Steakhouse, Tony Cheng's, ESPN Zone (Salad..WTF???), and Clyde's).

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, that last post should have read:

Yes the guy is slowing down as everyone is, but please don't just go by the numbers man. That is the worse thing you can do.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 21, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Same guy. Same philosophy.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 1:39 PM

Actually...it was Alex Gibbs...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"....But I do get a chuckle or two when I see the trade suggestions where we get a top flight player for an overweight, out-of-shape one with a bad attitude."

Other than last season, Albert Haynesworth has no history of being an out of shape player.

And given the comments of Edwin Williams and Mike Williams, it seems that being in shape last year was a team-wide redskin problem.

And yes, Jackson is a top flight player, but he has yet to garner MVP type rec like Haynesworth has.

A motivated Haynesworth would greatly improve anyone's defense, and the chargers are staring at the Super Bowl but see the Colts in their view.

We could use a solid receiver, and the chargers--with two PED past issue players on their roster (Merriman/Castillo)--could use a solid defender up the middle.

Pull dat trigga and make that trade.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Pull dat trigga and make that trade.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Dam 4th, that sounds fun...I just choked down a horrible sandwhich from our "Museum Cafe"...So F 4TH!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thx Cl!

Andray Blatche was up there as well...But I wasn't pressed for a pic from him...I was mad the Cheerleaders weren't there...

The Screamin Eagle MAscot was there and I was thinking about you cL....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

As long as the Skins are winning I could care less if they chop block or not.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 1:43 PM
...................

uh...jolt of unease goes through body...checks the text...yes...he DID "could care less" but probably means "could not care less". do i mention it? maybe he did it on purpose to bait me? nahhh...just let it go. what's the big deal? but...it means the opposite of what he thinks...he'd probably appreciate the "heads up" on that, right? maybe not...might get offended.... on the other hand, maybe he REALLY means there is a level of care that's less than his current level.....oh, nevermind, i won't say anything...at least he didn't say "irregardless"....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I like the thinking Mista -- just don't think SD breaks up Rivers to Jackson. That's a combo that could be in place for another 6-8 years. It might not be quite Peyton to Harrison, but its a darn good combo.

The only fly in the ointment might be VJax's contract ... no idea if there are issues around it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

There is a level of care that's less than my current level of care about what you have to say.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 2:15 PM
........................

hey, thanks.

btw, i am thrilled the o-line seems psyched about the new schemes. starting to appreciate how dysfunctional they were last year.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 21, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the Counter Trey. Gotta move fast to make it happen.

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 21, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

hey, thanks.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 21, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse
No, thank you for pointing out my blatant disregard for the English language. As a journalism major I should be more cautious of word choice. I am truly grateful that men like you exist. You could be a wonderful editor.

BTW I am also stoked about the performance of the offensive line.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Same guy. Same philosophy.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 1:39 PM

Actually...it was Alex Gibbs...

Posted by: 4thFloor

Good lawd, 4th dude, you know what I mean.

If you order from Pizza Hut, who did you order it from, Pizza Hut, or the dude who brought you the pizza?

Never figured you the semantic type.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 12:36 PM |

I would love to possibly trade Haynsworth for either Vincent or Merriman. However, the Chargers run a 3-4 defense also. So thats out of the question. Why hasn't anyone talked about possibly, doing similar to when we traded for CP26, when he wanted more money...how bout this....

TRADE HAYNSWORTH AND SOME PICKS OR SOMETHING ELSE FOR CHRIS JOHNSON!!!!

Both sides would be happy, like CP26, CJ2k will become the highest paid Back in the league signing with the Skins. How bout it?

Posted by: roccoskins | May 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

how about an update on Rhino, or Jarmon??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 21, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

how about an update on Rhino, or Jarmon??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 21, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Rhino:Fat, drunk and stupid.

Jarmon:IDK

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 1:56 PM |

True. And I did neglect to mention that his loud smelly farts keep the locker room in stitches.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | May 21, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

lol...sloooow friday afternoon....had to get anal rententive on way to keep me up....

No Homo

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Who here thinks they can outrun Mike Williams?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

how about an update on Rhino, or Jarmon??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 21, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Rhino:Fat, drunk and stupid.

Jarmon:IDK

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 2:45 PM |

How about

Rhino: quickest to learn the new schemes

Jarmon: should be fully healed and ready to go when training camp starts

Posted by: FourthAndOne | May 21, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Best blog ever....

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 21, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I hear that. It's too damn nice outside to be stuck at work..

No humidity, at least not off the meters anyway. That's rare around here.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Work sucks today. I should be getting drunk, throwing horseshoes and making mildly offensive phone calls.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

has anyone heard anything on the #4 overall pick and how he's doing?

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 21, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Just to change the subject a little, it looks like Rand Paul is a lock to win the next Thurgood Marshall award, doesn't it.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | May 21, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"TRADE HAYNSWORTH AND SOME PICKS OR SOMETHING ELSE..."

Some time ago, this line would've generated a caustic retort from this blogga.

But times have changed.

The team added a very good quarterback, but might lose his best target in S Moss for a spell.

The team didn't have defensive linemen depth at the start of the AH saga, but now has a host of professional types eager to make themselves important.

Time now dictates you insure yourself against possible disappointment and failure from MK and DT by adding a solid young receiver who's proven himself.

You trade Haynesworth for that guy and move on.

If not Vincent Jackson, you have to ask, "Who?"

Otherwise, fixing the line so the quarterback you burned picks to get suddenly looks like a bad outcome well before the season has started.

The time to make the decision to correct what might happen is now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

has anyone heard anything on the #4 overall pick and how he's doing?

Posted by: retroskins14

Last I heard he's still at the line of scrimmage listening to the snap count.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Rhino: quickest to learn the new schemes

Jarmon: should be fully healed and ready to go when training camp starts

Posted by: FourthAndOne | May 21, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah if the huddle sounds something like this:

"Okay at the snap, Big Mike you take out the manager locking the door. Derrick I want you push the cashier out of the way. Trent, you're the rookie so be the lookout. Casey, you put your face under the beer tap; and Chad you grab the pizzas. Let's make this quick, we don't want the cops coming. Smash and grab on 3!"

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

iH8dallas, there was coach in my little school district growing up who allegedly had a cup of coffee in the NFL way back when, but at this time he was massively overweight, easily in the mid 300s. And he would sit in his office and smoke cigarettes while we were playing dodgeball or whatever.

One day in PE class he challenged the fastest kid in our class to a race, length of the football field. This kid was fast. We all thought it was going to be a joke. And the coach, this gigantic mass of blubber, absolutely smoked him. It may not sound like much, but it was one of the coolest athletic feats I've ever witnessed in person.

So... based on that empirical evidence, I'm not betting on anybody up here beating Mike Williams in a footrace.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Lavar and Dukes are on the radio openly hinting that Portis is the other name to come out of this investigation. If this is true, the media circus is gonna get very ugly around here.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

That's awesome! Love it

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 3:13 PM

This is what I was afraid of.....

F Dukes and LaVar

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

great

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 21, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

nate, cosign....

freshman year in college I played a pickup game against a scrub on the TB Bucs....guy was the biggest human being I've ever seen...also the fastest, and most athletic by FAR.....wasn't even close...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 21, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Keep Haynesworth - sign Plexico when he gets out of jail.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 21, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 3:13 PM

Of course they are...

I wouldn't be surprised if Lavar invited B-Mitch on the show to say an on-air prayer that CP is the other name.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 21, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 3:13 PM

I think that's probably total BS, however I remember Portis having that knee injury in 2007. He kept playing through it every week.

I just really hope that's not true.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Great, now Lavar in his latest attempt to get the "one up" on Portis will scream on the radio that if took steroids he wouldn't have had as many freak injuries he did.

Then in an effort to belittle Portis he'll talk about how he just couldn't do it because when he was in the huddle he saw Darrell Green and Deion Sanders and claim he has too much respect for the game of football to do that.

Book it.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 21, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, I played Basketball against Trent Green and Ray Brown back in the Norv Turner days.

Trent Green: Nice guy. Not a special athlete. Regular dude.

Ray Brown: Got angry at one point. Kinda tried to start a fight, of course, no takers. Dude was like 6'5" and STOCKY. Imagine an overgrown Emmitt Smith or something. Ridiculous how big he was.

WHO in their right mind would fight him? Not me. I actually followed him out to tell him thank you for all his years on the Skins (right before he left for San Fran). He totally changed in an instant. Smiled real nice, "OK, Man, thanks - you're welcome"

So, even though he got ejected, I don't think it bothered him much.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"....the coach, this gigantic mass of blubber, absolutely smoked him. It may not sound like much, but it was one of the coolest athletic feats I've ever witnessed in person."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 3:11 PM
................

very cool. an athlete...compared to us regulars...

so, who's the weakest link in the starting o-linemen? guess we haven't seen any of trent yet...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 21, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I once played a basketball game against Prince. He was surprisingly good and made me pancakes afterwards.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

red, the sad part about that is that you're probably right...its so apparent the agenda that LA brings....the part about LA having respect is the funny part....someone should ask him if knowing the plays/playbook respects the game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 21, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, brought in a bunch of receivers and running backs, makes me wonder......

Posted by: wireman65 | May 21, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

LIE, iH8dallas,

That was Charlie Murphy's bit! Unless, maybe, possibly, this is something Prince did on the regular...

What year abouts, did this occur?

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

In other CP news....He's dating Mya the singer....Too skinny for my taste...but a PG County representer...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 21, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

LIE, iH8dallas,

What year abouts, did this occur?

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

OHHH YOU GOT ME!

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Thinker- I better get up pretty early to slip one by you.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Lavar didn't know the playbook...

The world is flat, too.

What is so hard to understand about BS coming out of Redskins Park back in the Vinnie/Grilliams era? Lavar seemed to pick up on NY's D pretty quickly.

It reminds me of my Dad... Still points to the Iranian release of hostages on inauguration day 1980 as an indication of the FEAR Reagan struck into the hearts of the Islamist Leadership...

Even though, NOW, we all know that he actually had a deal worked out for them - weapons, money, etc... Part of the deal was to wait until inauguration day.

But Ol' Dad. Even though he knows the truth, just cant let go of the original lie.

Lavar is a freelancer. Doesn't study the playbook.

Yeah. OK. I wonder if you go ask Ggrilliams about that now, what would happen?

Hey, there's an idea! Instead of the next Haynesworth bit, how about a piece on Grilliams, how he feels about Greg "Here's a knife for your back" Blatche, Lavar, Gibbs, etc.

Like... Um... real journalism maybe? Could be good.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

And anyway, I don't like your name.

Somebody could read it as "I Heart Dallas."

And we wouldn't want that, would we?

I might go for it...

I

Sweet.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Man, for some reason, my post got butchered.

I I

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Man, for some reason, my post got butchered.

I I

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse
HAHA

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

And who in the world would interpret my name as " iHEARTdallas" ?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 21, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse
__________

If Big Mike can run anywhere approaching a 5.2-5.4 40, I would be willing to bet that he'd beat the bulk of the people on RI.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 21, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Funk,
Here's the pdf of the CBA. Enjoy.

static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/cba/nfl-cba-2006-2012.pdf

If Red pays you a retainer I want a hefty finder's fee.

Posted by: mack1 | May 21, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Just checking in.. slow day on here.

Anywho.. did you guys/gals hear about the new oil spill off the coast of Miami? Really bad news for the gulf coasters...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

And who in the world would interpret my name as " iHEARTdallas" ?

Posted by: iH8dallas

An illiterate Texan. Which means ... lots of people.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Z I got a chance to eat at the Salt Lick in Austin last week. Turns out It wasn't the place I thought I'd eaten at a few years ago. So thanks for the recommendation. It was great.

Posted by: mack1 | May 21, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1

I still retains a few useful bits of information ... the Salt Lick is one of the better ones

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, zeke, you know the only Bay Area venue moodly hits when he's in town is the Cow Palace.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

the original home of MY San Jose Sharks

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FourthAndOne

Ooops, sorry forgot where I as. I'll dumb it down next time, you know maybe go with Lindsay Lohan, or whoever's in People.

God knows I want to pander to those who've never heard of Charles Manson

Posted by: TheCork | May 21, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"They're not booing these expansion Sharks here at the Cow Palace, they're saying "moooooo!"!

(Though it occurs to me they could also have been cheering for Pat Falloooooooon.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

And who in the world would interpret my name as " iHEARTdallas" ?

Posted by: iH8dallas

An illiterate Texan. Which means ... lots of people.

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

One of whom, I believe, is building his Presidential Library down there,

Posted by: TheCork | May 21, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

One of whom, I believe, is building his Presidential Library down there,

Posted by: TheCork | May 21, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse
_______

He was much better than the communist who's currently residing in 1600 Pennsylvania

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 21, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for so perfectly encapsulating the absurdity of politickal discussions up here in those brief back-to-back comments, Corky and sf713.

Ugh... happy Friday and all that.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan713 is obviously a Yale Man. Hence the playful jab at our current Harvard-educated President.

Posted by: mack1 | May 21, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713

Thats funny, I thought a communist would cause the markets to go down, the economy to fail, and institute a program of spying on citizens.

Oh wait, which president were you referring to?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I like the current commercial for Coors. It ends with the guy putting out the candle his GF laid out with his Coors glass and saying 'fire hazard'. Cracks me up every time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713

Oh wait, which president were you referring to?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 6:38 PM
------------------------------------------
I think he meant to say "Socialist" as in the guy who wants to tax you more so he can give medical care and social security to the illegal immigrants.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 21, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Communist, Socialist, Terrorist... Whatever.

We've got bigger problems on here.

There's some dude going around posing as a Skins fan, but he's NOT. Obviously!

His handle is code for "I Heart Dallas"

So, as long as we no longer have a Cowboy fan in the White House, I'm happy.

There should be a Constitutional Amendment against that!

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

And, I know he's pushing the "I Hate Dallas" angle, but, I ask you, If you HATE Dallas so much, why didn't you just say THAT?

What's with the duplicitous innuendo that could be taken either way? Like by the ex Commander in Chief?

Namesake of the George Bush Intergalactic Airport in Houston, Texas?

So, next time, try a REAL handle like "IReallyHateTheDallasCowboysFootballTeam"

Not this "IHaveMixedEmotionsAboutDallas" junk!

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

And on another topic...

George Bush = Albert Haynesworth

Barack Obama = Mike Shanahan

or maybe Kyle Shanahan is a better metaphor. Either way, one is a selfish, lazy, ignorant bum and the other is smart and disciplined.

And one had 9-11 happen "on my watch" while he was golfing and setting vacation records.

Which is where he was when Katrina happened, coincidentally.

And He LOVED him some spying!

And, actually, I doubt he knew what was going on. I think Cheney was pulling the strings and giving orders. But, it's all over now... except for the clean up. Which will take decades.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

hey guys, checking in quickly w/ a boring and unclever set of responses...

the moo-in-law is still here, staying in our little guest house out back, which unfortunately doubles as my home office.

zeke, I'd love to attend the B&W ball (MOL) but probably won't make it down to SF this year. we're planning Oregeon coast, Chicago, and trip back to DC for this summer.

on the other hand, the Salt Lick is pretty decent, but haven't visited Austin for a few years.

nate, never been to the Cow Palace... kinda prefer smaller venues like the old 9:30 in DC, Maxwell's in Hoboken, the Middle East in Cambridge, and the Crocodile in Seattle.

haven't really had a chance to keep up with the posts here, but great to see aggressive football talk with friendly non-sequiturs.

let's hope the whole Moss thing is resolved soon.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 21, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

---------

depressing TV

F BP

F Obama

F Napalotino

F Salazar

F Halliburton

F Dick Cheney

F my F 350

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

thinker,
imagine how different the world would be if gore had been president on 9-11. there would never have been an "iraq war" - that was totally a bush/cheney creation. we'd have stayed focused, and kept going after bin laden.... ugh... and remember how close that 2000 election was.... the mosr incredible disappointing thing was that after all that iraq idiocy we REELECTED bush! unbelievable...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 21, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Bubba Shrimp is out of business.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

F Home Depot

F Mansanto

F my F 350

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Jesus Christ is pissed.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Moo, if you want to have some real fun while in Oregon, spend a day or two (or more) with these folks.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 7:44 PM

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 7:58 PM

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 7:58 PM

by my count of the recent WaPo front page, you also forgot:

F terrorists
F stars at Cannes
F Stephen Strasburg
F big business
F immigration policy
F separate M/F worship at mosques
F Olympic mascots
F beach traffic to the MD/DE shore
F Rand Paul
F Susan B. Anthony
F players of the week
F state dinners
F Orioles and Nats
F lions at the National Zoo
F Fairfax school budget
F deputy attorney general
F North Korea
F Thai protests
F financial overhaul
F Israel and Iran
F Bagram

not appearing on the front page:

F Dallas

it isn't everything, but how about picking just one and running with it...

might not be able to hang around to hear your reply, but what happened to your F350?

might consider trading it in for a Prius, or maybe one of these:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 21, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

hey zeke... I'm afraid the Salmon River has Oregon smoked when it comes to whitewater rafting. plus we can get there and back in a day for easy trips.

the downside of Idaho is that we're strictly inland. grew up near the ocean, so pretty stoked to reconnect with the whole marine aquatic vibe... in the past we've always done OBX, so this will be a little different.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 21, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Which is where he was when Katrina happened, coincidentally.

And He LOVED him some spying!

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 21, 2010 7:34 PM
-----------------------------------------
Speaking of cleanup, one of the biggest environmental disasters in the history of mankind is happening right now under your nose and yet you make no mention that it happened during Obama's watch, or that he failed to blow the well as soon as the leak was discovered. When the American people figure out the Navy could have stopped the leak in its first days, Obama will have a disaster more devastating than Katrina to explain.

Nor do you mention that while the idiot in Iran rants we can thank the current administration for abandoning Israel. But don't worry, I am sure the United Nations can sanction Iran until the have their own nuclear weapon to lob at Israel.

Or perhaps you can mention how the US has submitted to black mail from North Korea in order to get US reporters back who illegally crossed NK's borders. Oh, those reporters happened to work for Al Gore - do you think that had anything to do with it? BTW, it has now come to the attention of the world that North Korea sank a South Korean vessel last month, so our policies over there really seem to be working.

And you seem to think Bush was a moron but you fail to mention how our current Prez could give $50 billion dollars for development of more nuclear power plants when during the first days of his administration he shut down the nuclear waste facility that the power companies are directed to use by the government. That, to me, seems like a pretty fair act of genius in its own right.

Yes, the previous Prez may not have been the sharpest tack, but the current one is no Norman Einstein, either.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 21, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"Lavar seemed to pick up on NY's D pretty quickly."

He did? How could you tell? He only played in six games, started five, had a total of 14 tackles, 1 sack, 3 passes defensed...I believe he did recover the ball for a safety. No INTs, no forced fumbles.

He missed the rest of the season with an injury, then in Feb '07, the Giants gave up and let him go. In June, he crashed his motorcycle. And basically, that was it.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Chris Samuels out there helping to coach. I don't know what sort of teacher he is, but he knows everything there is to know about left tackle.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how a defensemen could recover a ball for a safety? Wouldn't it either be a TD or a touchback, depending on which endzone it was in?

Posted by: frediefritz | May 21, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Jesus Christ is pissed.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 21, 2010 8:01 PM |

Jesus isn't the kind to get pissed. He was a kind, gentle soul that loved the earth and everyone on it, the Romans and the Jews included. Now pops was a different matter. Dude could get his Irish up.

Posted by: CrimeScene | May 21, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

God knows I want to pander to those who've never heard of Charles Manson

Posted by: TheCork | May 21, 2010 5:20 PM |

TheCork = crusty old fart

Posted by: CrimeScene | May 21, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

the original home of MY San Jose Sharks

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 4:58 PM |

I have issues with a hockey team calling itself the Sharks. Hockey is a winter sport and sharks are nasties that nibble on your extremities when you are trying to enjoy a summer day at the beach in July or August.

Posted by: CrimeScene | May 21, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

if the amounts used are small and injected directly into the injured area, there will be no spike in the blood levels of HGH. Therefore, there is no ambiguity over an increased HGH concentration in someone's blood. In addition, clinical trials could also determine if there is any statistically significant rise in blood HGH levels among those receiving these shots. This practice hasn't been approved by the FDA, or even studied to determine its efficiency, and therefore only the amazingly rich can get this "treatment." If it really did improve healing in athletes and normal people, as proven by clinical trials, then the sports leagues would need to consider whether it would be better for sports if the athletes were allowed to receive injections of small amounts of HGH into the injured areas to speed recovery and return to action.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 21, 2010 12:37 PM

I appreciate your contributions to the blog but since you're setting your sights on a medical career. Please use the word efficacy instead of efficiency and HGH is injected subcutaneously (abdomen, upper arm, buttock , front of the thigh). HGH would never be injected intravenous or intra muscularly or directly into the injured area.

As far as a direct price it can be had for around 125 per month (10cc’s per week). The indirect cost of discretion is obviously priceless.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Pffftt.. What ever works at your tea party. Continue wearing those teabags around your heads boys. Its a revolution that ain't going nowhere.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 21, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

The indirect cost of discretion is obviously priceless.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 9:02 PM

in performance enhancement and in life...amen.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 21, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 1:56 PM

Moe- The Chargers run a 3-4 so even if that trade wasn't one sided in our favor, haynie would be none to pleased.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I noticed on its lead screen Google has a shout-out to Pacman on his 30th birthday. Nice of them to do that what with all the turmoil he has had in his life recently.

Posted by: CrimeScene | May 21, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

The indirect cost of discretion is obviously priceless.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 9:02 PM |

Ditto the direct cost of indiscretion.

Posted by: CrimeScene | May 21, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

diesel44

"The Chargers run a 3-4 so even if that trade wasn't one sided in our favor, haynie would be none to pleased."

He'd play in that defense either way, wouldn't he trade or not?

The point is that the redskin wide receiver position is as thin as a heroin chic runway model.

Maybe now is the time for some kind of 'straight up' trade move get rid of AH to add a proven receiver.

Boldin, Holmes, Marshall--very desirable players, mind you--have all been moved.

So you either use the chip in AH you have to solve and obvious problem or bemoan his being on a roster with a fine defense that can't throw the ball well.

Me?: I'd find a way to quickly solve an obvious problem.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 21, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Moe- make it happen. I'd make that trade, I just don't think the chargers would.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, I see some things never change. Still see Hayney tradey posts, people are still b!tchin' about politics (and I wasn't even around) and people are still F'in everything in sight. Gotta love some RI. I'm in a hotel in Albuquerque and will be in my new home tomorrow night. Love me some west coast.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 21, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo

OK, but I've been on the Salmon in Idaho and the Salmon in N. Cal. Very different rivers, but a heckuva a ride on either one.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, you're normally right about where HGH is injected, but the doctor involved with the Moss case used HGH in low quantities by injecting it directly into the injured area to speed healing, which is what I was referring to. I'm sorry I used efficiency, vs. efficacy, Mr. grammar police. Geesh.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 21, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Sure its possible for MY San Jose Sharks to dig themselves out of a 3-0 hole against a goalie that's saving everything in sight, even using the nub on top of his stick and his forehead to make saves.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 21, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 9:02 PM

Diesel, I believe that Dr. Galea's treatment of athletes actually involves the injection of actovegin and small amounts of HGH directly into the injured tissue. You're apparently referring to how HGH is more commonly injected for the purpose of building muscle or performance ehancement.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 21, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Karen, Dr. Galea is truly a "different" kind of doc. The essence of RI makes one argumentative and perhaps I came across like a know it all.

My apologies.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I see JFK came to her own defense. Nevermind.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 21, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 21, 2010 11:43 PM

I agree. I think the actovegin (calves blood) was the reason for the frequent visits and injections. Dr. Galea could teach Moss how to inject HGH in a few minutes.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

scamp- safe travels, be sure to grab the continental b-fast in the morn.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 21, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

moo, when you swing through Oregon give us a holler... we in the Portland contingent are a friendly lot, and we love an excuse to get together for a beer and BS'ing about the Skins. And I reckon a fellow like you could add plenty of BS :)

nateinthepdx at gmail if you want to give me a moo off the blog.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 22, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Right, a defensive player can't recover a ball for a safety. Arrington must have caused the safety, or something along those lines. From Wiki:

"In American football, it is the only means by which a team not in possession of the football can score points. A safety may occur in a variety of ways, most commonly when an opponent in possession of the football is tackled in his own end zone..."

Posted by: Samson151 | May 22, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sorry I used efficiency, vs. efficacy, Mr Grammar Police..." posted by jesusfreakaren"

Nah, that ain't bad grammar. The two words have different meanings.

Now, bad grammar, that's this here.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 22, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 21, 2010 10:55 PM

Would have liked to buy you a beer and cheered the Skins w/you if I'd had known you were in town. Cheers nonetheless as you pass through my town!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 22, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Pull dat trigga and make that trade.

Posted by: MistaMoe

MistaMoe. No team that is in contention for a Super Bowl is going to trade their #1 receiver for AH. Especially not a guy that is considered one of the best young receivers. For starters the Redskins have little leverage as most teams realize that the Redskins almost have to trade him. The best that can be hoped for would be draft picks and a role player. Maybe Foyd and a draft pick. The other challenge is that AH is known across the league as having an attitude and being lazy. He has done nothing to change that this off season.

Posted by: srobert1117 | May 22, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

srobert1117

"No team that is in contention for a Super Bowl is going to trade their #1 receiver for AH."

The general theme, again, is that perhaps some kind of 'straight up' trade of AH for a solid, proven NFL receiver should be contemplated in light of the redskins moves to improve the offense.

The skins moved to add McNabb, drafted Williams, brought in Hicks to start at rt, then suddenly realize that behind S Moss is a rookie (Austin), a 17 year vet, and two dudes (MK-DT) who've done nothing but tease.

And Moss himself might miss who knows what amount of time behind using HGH.

Think of starting the season with Galloway, Kelly, and Thomas as our starting receivers, and you'll see what I mean.

The skins remain a team with a fine defense supporting an offense that doesn't pass the ball that well in the most likely scenario.

It's deja vu--Zorn all over again.

We posted during the Marko Mitchell Saga that perhaps the episode of his release signalled some deeper issue with the redskins' receivers, and folks howled in laughter....

....until Joey Galloway and Bobby Wade crossed our doorstep.

Somebody shouted, "There's Plaxico..." but that's a T.O. media circus without the tent for a player who'll need to time to regain his game.

No matter what the move is, some solid vet type--like TJ Housemanshaneh or Chris Chambers or L Coles--might be a nice fill in for the skins' passing game until things are clear about Moss.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 22, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I just saw on CNN where those idiots in Texas are changing their history books. The one that got me was they changed Jesse Owens winning 4 gold medals in the Berlin Games to "Roger Staubach won 4 gold medals in Berlin and then after closing ceremonies singlehandedly scalped 6 of Hitler's SS men."

Posted by: elderdave1 | May 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if I'm buying that Mike Williams is gonna be effective as a mobile offensive lineman.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 22, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I think that the o-line, will be better and that the system will benefit the backs...and it will atleast open some space for the receivers..

Posted by: impervious99 | May 22, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse