Offensive linemen make their case at combine

With two to three potential vacancies on their offensive line, it would seem that the Redskins should have particular interest in studying the linemen who are at the scouting combine in Indianapolis this week, each challenging the durability of the NFL's scales and trying to impress scouts with their fundamentals.

Today the offensive-line prospects were made available to the media. It's a group that you'll hear a lot about in the first round of the draft, and Washington fans in particular might want to familiarize themselves with some of the names.

With the fourth overall pick, most of the speculation has centered on the Redskins chasing a quarterback in the first round. But there are several scenarios in which you could see Washington going with an offensive lineman instead. (The Rams select Sam Bradford...The Redskins trade down...Team management realizes just what dire straits the O-line appears to be in...)

If the Redskins opt for an offensive lineman at the No. 4 slot, the most likely target would be Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, who might not slip past Kansas City at No. 5.

"I don't know. It's not my decision to make," Okung said of his draft-day landing spot. "It's not my place to talk about it. I'm grateful wherever I go, whether I'm in the seventh round or undrafted. It's a huge blessing to even be standing in front of you guys right now."

There could be as many as six offensive linemen who are selected in the first round, which would match last year's first-round haul. Mock drafts agree that there are several good tackles, but they don't necessarily agree on the order in which they'll go.

"Personally, I like to think I'm the best tackle in the draft," said Iowa's Bryan Bulaga. "Obviously this is a very deep class. There's a lot of great players in it. Everybody is going to jumping each other, going under each other all the way until draft day. It's going to be exciting to see. This weekend will tell a lot. It's going to be a moving process this entire thing."

If the Redskins do chase a quarterback in the first round and try to address the offensive line with the No. 36 37 pick, there could still be some quality tackles waiting to hear their names called.

While Okung, Anthony Davis (Rutgers), Trent Williams (Oklahoma), Mike Iupati (Idaho), Bulaga and Maryland's Bruce Campbell all seem likely first-rounders, USC's Charles rown, Massachussetts' Vladimir Ducasse and Indiana's Rodger Saffold could be second-round selections.

There are pluses and minuses to many of the players. Campbell has battled injuries. Bulaga dealt with a nasty thyroid infection. Davis has had weight issues (he's weighed as much as 366 pounds).

For reporters today, the linemen mostly said the same thing: yep, they're all coachable; they'll play anywhere on the line coaches choose to put them; they'd prefer to play left tackle, though; they're just excited for the opportunity; etc.

While Redskins team officials will get a chance to see them all in workouts, they're also conducting in-person meetings with several linemen this week, and they'll follow p with many at their prospective pro day at their schools in the next several weeks.

By Rick Maese  |  February 25, 2010; 4:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In switch to 3-4 defense, Redskins might look within for nose tackle
Next: Colt Brennan faces uncertain future with Redskins

Comments

Yes on scrapple, yes on Eastern NC BBQ, yes on O line.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 25, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I've got no problem with Jason Campbell as a caretaker qb (maybe he'd finally shine!) while we take tackles in rounds 1 and 2. I think next year's QB class will look pretty good.

Also, I think in round 2 or later, Tebow -may- be worth the risk if Shanahan believes in him. Shanny does have ties to Florida and maybe has seen him play more than others.

Regardless, take a tackle first.

Posted by: lordtwang | February 25, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | February 25, 2010; 4:46 PM ET

This is one differnce between OL and WR's. "Coachable? Whatchew talkin bout? Ain't no coach out there can teach me nuffin I don't already know. I'm the complete package already. You don't want the complete package then you shouldn't be callin' my name in the draft."

Posted by: League-Source | February 25, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

tebow?

rofl

Posted by: Neverender84 | February 25, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

yes on chicken and waffles

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Okung - first rnd
Colt McCoy or Fresno RB in 2nd

Posted by: skinswest | February 25, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Recall listening to Madden about the differences, in his coaching days, between the OL guys and the DL guys.

He said the OL guys would be respectful and polite -- well mannered and well dressed.

The DL guys were the big personalities, aggressive and outspoken, with their shirt tails hanging out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 25, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Jon Runyan would throw poop at that statement.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 25, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

tebow?

rofl

Ive been waiting for the Tebow bandwagon to start ever since ESPN reported that he has changed his throwing motion. Im surprised there isnt more support form Colt part two on this board. I think he would be a better option than the other two we have spent the past few days arguing about. Draft Okung

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 25, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Okung - first rnd
Colt McCoy or Fresno RB in 2nd

Posted by: skinswest | February 25, 2010 5:43 PM
I agree, and hopefully we can trade Campbell for draft pick compensation.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Trade him and get some picks.

Posted by: MistaMoe
_______________________

I'm all for this.

And that doesn't mean I think we should pick Brad/Claus at #4 if they're not worth #4. I'm pretty sure Shanny/Allen et al are capable of deciding this - if they think one of them is worth it, I'm cool with that. If not, let's grab King Okung. And in the 2nd round, if there's not a QB worth it, let's get Maurkice Pouncey or similar, whoever the best OL available is.

I expect we'll get 1 or 2 pretty good to very good OL in FA.

And JC's a known, mediocre commodity - no upside as far as I'm concerned. But we can only grab what's available, so I'm fine with taking a swing at getting an "elite" (and by elite, I don't mean HOF, I mean "very good") QB in the next draft. But given JC's mediocrity, let's grab the value for him now while it still exists, and we can find some other mediocre QB to work for us this year (we’ll need one regardless while whatever young buck gets ready for prime time).

If we do draft Brad/Claus, we can still draft an LT in next year's first round. I view this as a 2-year project anyway.

In a nutshell, I'm uber-excited about Shanny and the 2010 Redskins. And I think we may even be quite competitive in year 1 of the project.

Hail yes.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 25, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I've never played Qb at any level, but I think the most important thing is being able to get the ball out quickly. ...

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 4:23 PM

... but not too quickly. The quickest way to get the ball out quickly is fumble.

Posted by: dcsween | February 25, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Is there a way to find out which linemen they conduct interviews with?

Posted by: p1funk | February 25, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Rick - its #37 pick, not #36.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 25, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

On a related note, Devin Thomas has announced a new, expanded Website.

Even more than QB or RB, it is the Prima Donna position, with egos to match.

Posted by: TheCork | February 25, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Hell, if there's going to be talented OT's available in the 2nd round, that's all the more reason to draft one in the 1st and in the 2nd round as well. You totally change the dynamic of the Offensive line at that point and you can still pick up a game changer in the 4th at RB or LB.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 25, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Okung - first rnd
Colt McCoy or Fresno RB in 2nd

Posted by: skinswest | February 25, 2010 5:43 PM
I agree, and hopefully we can trade Campbell for draft pick compensation.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse
____________________________________

OH MAN... now were talkin' McCoy... NO WAY!!!

The way he went out of the Rose Bowl... no way I trust that guy to a 19 game season.

I know I've gone back & forth a few times on QB issue... The thing that I keep coming back to is this. I watched almost every Notre Dame game this year & every time Notre Dame needed to come back & get points... Clausen brought them back, then the defense would blow the game.

I just hope he blows Shanny away during his Notre Dame pro day & interviews. I have him rated higher than Bradford, simply for the way he handles the last 5 minutes of a football game, dude has ice in his veins. Everyone keeps saying to wait until next year on QB... If Shanny decides JC is not his guy then we need to figure out which one of these young guns is. Considering Cutler's personality & Elway's personality from what I have read... This seems like Shanny's type... A BIG COCKY ARROGANT QB!

Yes, O-line is the Redskins biggest need, but you can find these guys. I'm just so tired of watching Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, and Rivers (among others) eat up defenses before the ball is even snapped... Then we watch JC constantly being indecisive & getting sacked because he didn't recognize the coverage before the ball was snapped.

I would rather the Redskins put a ton of $$ into a face of the franchise QB than some O-lineman. I just don't see how Clausen would be a failure, considering he was running pro offense of Charlie Weiss. Clausen is not Brady Quinn, I think he's much better. Dude had a 7 TD - 1 int ratio... That is protecting the football.

Posted by: tony325 | February 25, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Much like your wife General Motors has announced that they will no longer be offering hummers.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I think we should use all our draft picks on quarterbacks. That way we're sure to find a franchise quarterback.

I think Vinny used this strategy with pass catchers a while back.

If one of our QBs gets a boo-boo because of our porous OL, we just send in another one.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 25, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Vinny used this strategy with pass catchers a while back.

Posted by: _Stumped_

Brilliant ... and in 22 years, we'll have stars at every position

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 25, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Much rather lunge at LeFevour or even Tony Pike in the second round, if they feel they HAVE to draft one, I say OL, OL. Trade up in the 3rd and go for Gerhart, Dwyer, or whatever feature back may be available. I like the QB class next year, as well, with Locker, Mallett or even Ponder, who I think will be a nice QB.

Posted by: mjsciann1 | February 25, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Is there a way to find out which linemen they conduct interviews with?

Posted by: p1funk | February 25, 2010 6:33 PM

Wouldn't that be fuel for the blog?

"Hey, they interviewed Okung for 15 minutes but they interviewed Bulaga for 27 minutes. I think that means we're trading back."

"Yeah, but they interviewed Okung first, so he probably gave them the right answers and Bulaga didn't. I say they're taking Okung at 4."

"Jason Campbell sucks. The apologists need to let go."

Posted by: League-Source | February 25, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

If snyder is going to pull the trigger on a trade with buffalo.. he better do it quickly before Bills management reads the postings.. The buffalobills.com site is going nuts about the prospect of Campbell.. Most dont want him.
Seal the Deal Danny before they dig into his stats.....asap!!

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 25, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Right, and every position will be seeing stars. I'm thinking 22 Colt quality QBs.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 25, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Interesting....

POSTED BY: ADAM CAPLAN, SCOUT.COM
AT 02/25/2010 04:36 PM ET

Bengals Tender Jeanty Low
Bengals SLB Rashad Jeanty will receive the low one-year restricted free agent tender of $1.176 million, a league source told Scout.com.

Should another team sign Jeanty to an offer sheet, the Bengals would have an opportunity to match it. If they declined, they would receive no compensation back in return since he was not drafted.
________________________________

From ESPN

Rashad Jeanty Grade: 63

Comment: Jeanty has some natural pass-rushing skills and excellent size for the strongside linebacker spot. He runs very well and gets off the ball with quickness. He makes plays in pursuit and is a sound tackler when he arrives. Jeanty is strong enough at the point of attack to secure the edge and generally has the advantage against tight ends in the run game. He needs to work on his hand usage, but does show the athletic ability to sink his hips and anchor. He is certainly at his best coming forward rather than backpedaling, but he has worked on his ability to cover the flats and make plays in coverage. Most running backs and tight ends will have their way with Jeanty in coverage. His recognition and agility really need more work. Jeanty is works hard and has shown improvement since joining the league. He can also contribute well on special teams. There is upside here without question and he is very capable of developing into a playmaker.

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

If snyder is going to pull the trigger on a trade with buffalo..Seal the Deal Danny before they dig into his stats.....asap!!

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 25, 2010 7:04 PM

SNAGM,

I know you don't want to let go, but Snyder's not pulling the trigger on anything this year. The 'Skins have a GM who will get this done, assuming that the coach is on-board with trading JC.

If it doesn't work, then next year Snyder will be back in the driver's seat. But, for now, he's a passenger. If he weren't, Shanahan would leave.

Posted by: League-Source | February 25, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

okung

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 25, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

It is times like this that I remember the old BK comercials that said Where's the beef? The team with the best beef up front wins... Draft O-LINE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Burrasta1 | February 25, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

If I hear that JC17 is traded away from here, I'll do the stanky leg.

Can u imagine him an T.O. ......priceless, no way that can go bad.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Can u imagine him an T.O. ......priceless, no way that can go bad.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 7:27 PM

Are you breaking news here...Did we sign T.O.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

no Diesel just having daydreams of lollipops, butterflies and someone other than a braindead doofus under center.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The newest Don Banks draft has Bradford going to the Skins and Clausen to the Seahawks at 14. Bradford had one of the greatest seasons ever but essentially missed last year with injuries. Hard to see a team taking a chance on him at 4, medical eval or no. But stranger things have happened.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

4. Russell Okung — T, Oklahoma State, 6-5, 302, 1: A big man who plays best in big games. Shows advanced skills as a pass blocker and should be able to play left tackle in the NFL. In 2008, scouts noted his ability to neutralize Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, the Big 12 defensive player of the year and a Pro Bowler as a rookie for the Washington Redskins in 2009. Okung uses great footwork and athleticism as a pass blocker but seems to lack the level of aggression scouts like to see in a run blocker. He appears too satisfied to merely maintain a position on run blocks rather than trying to obliterate defenders.

I like most of that, wish he were a destroyer on run blocking. I do wonder if he fits the mold of Shanahan? I like McClain the linebacker from Alabama too. We need big fast LB's too

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 25, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Are you breaking news here...Did we sign T.O.

There is a rumor that we made trade JC to the Bills for Donte Whitner and a draft pick. I wouldnt count on this happening. Why would they trade for another bust at safety when we may already have one of our own?

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 25, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

iH8-

T.O. is done in Buffalo and the JC to buffalo for Witner and a pick was a rumor from Buffalo's version of RI.

They apparently have their own version of beantowngreg and erroneous PFT reports.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44
_____________________

Bada boom! He's here all week, folks...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 25, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 25, 2010 7:44 PM

Sarcasm. We disussed this earlier today. Whitner was the 8th pick in 2006 and has 3 career int's. They've already replaced him with Jarius Byrd. No thanks unless he is a throw in with a 2nd rd pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SammyT1 | February 25, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

"Trade the 1st for a mid-round first and third. Use the mid-rounder to draft Clausen if he is still around. If not, take the best OL still on the board and consider Tebow with the early 2nd. If he goes to the Jags or Patriots in the 1st, take the best OL on the board. Use the newly-acquired third round pick on best player available, or go with a young running back such as Dexter Mcluster or Anthony Dixon.Posted by: SammyT1"

I was fine with this until you mentioned Tebow.

Seriously, folks, there's a real problem with scenarios involving trading down. Teams don't want to pay that Top Ten money -- that's why you always hear about losing clubs wanting to trade down. I understand the Lions and Rams were both on the phone trying to deal their picks last season, but nobody bit. To make it work, you need one team that's fallen in love with a QB (like the Jets last year) and another that's willing to take on some risk (Cleveland accepting some Jets players because Manging knew them). If Mangini hadn't been the Cleveland coach, who knows if that trade ever would have happened?

Hard to imagine some team falling in love with Bradford enough to trade to number 4, given his injury history. But it could happen.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Shooting down a Campbell rumor
February, 25, 2010
FEB 25
7:43
PM ET
Comment Email Print Share

By Matt Mosley
INDIANAPOLIS -- When you get hundreds of coaches, scouts, reporters and agents in one place, there are bound to be some rumors floating around. One such rumor involved the Redskins supposedly sending quarterback Jason Campbell to Buffalo in exchange for safety Donte Whitner.

The Redskins have informed Campbell that there's nothing to the rumor, according to a league source. At this point, the club is planning for Campbell, a restricted free agent, to be on the 2010 roster -- and perhaps beyond. Campbell's agent, Joel Segal, is expected to meet with Allen during the combine to discuss the quarterback's future. As I reported last week, Shanahan has told Campbell that he's planning to bring him back next season.

The Skins could pay the highest tender to Campbell ($3.268 million) in 2010 and see how he performs or they could offer him a new two-year contract with some guaranteed money. Unless another team blows the Skins away with a trade offer, I think Campbell will be back in 2010. After that, all bets are off. The Redskins will likely take a long look at quarterbacks Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen and try to determine if either player is a franchise quarterback.

If they don't feel strongly about either player, then it would make sense to select Oklahoma State left tackle Russell Okung at No. 4 and retain Campbell as the starter. Campbell put up very respectable numbers playing behind arguably the worst offensive line in the league in '09. I'm sure some of that's showing up as Shanahan and his staff continue to watch every snap from last season.

And can you imagine having to watch every snap of the Skins' '09 season? It's not a healthy situation. By the way, I actually joined Shanahan on a crowded elevator earlier this evening but it didn't seem like the appropriate time to ask about Campbell's future.

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

This is about championships. JC will never lead the Skins to a title. Pick Bradford or Clausen. Teams must commit to finding the franchise QB before all else. The Skins have had one decent QB since Rypien in Brad Johnson and won the division with him. The search continues. OL is secondary until then.

Posted by: tramellcanady | February 25, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes on scrapple, yes on Eastern NC BBQ, yes on O line.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 25, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Damn nate-dog, I like your style. Yee-Haw good buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 25, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 9:21 PM

Great article. It's impossible to diagree with almost everything Los says..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tramellcanady

Yes, but the Skins dumped him the next year in search of the elusive "championship" quarterback and have been pulling weeds every since. Its always a crapshoot with QB's out of college. Great teams have won championships with average quarterback, the great quarterbacks never won until they had great teams. (And some of them never did).

Posted by: geotherm21 | February 25, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes on scrapple, yes on Eastern NC BBQ, yes on O line.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 25, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Damn nate-dog, I like your style. Yee-Haw good buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 25, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 9:34 PM

I agree. I didn't realize how much blitzing the team did, it seemed they blitzed very little. Hopefully the team will be more effective this year.

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

TWISI--Good find on the 'Los article. I think after that that he will be back next year. I don't think we can pick up anyone in FA as cheap as he will be, plus sounds like he was pretty badly wasted by Zorn, Blatche, and their buddies.

Posted by: League-Source | February 25, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

there are questions about Campbell, there are questions about Bradford and claussen. There is no question about our O line and there is no question about Okung, Davis, & Bulaga.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 25, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Shooting down a Campbell rumor
February, 25, 2010
FEB 25
7:43
PM ET
Comment Email Print Share

By Matt Mosley

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

"JC 2010 and beyond.."
Worst news of the year, if true... A waste of more seasons.. and great Defenses.

TICKETS... I got tickets.. TICKETS, I got tickets.. (season tickets..). damn..

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 25, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

TWISI-

I always thought Blache was over his head. I was also shocked by the amount of blitzing and man coverage Los described.

Blache’s blitz schemes and the lack of a true FS also added to the ineffectiveness of the blitz. I also believe he blitzed the wrong people, coming out of LSU that was one of LL's strengths, and he had him playing 30 yds off the ball.

I think the addition of Haslett improves this Defense immensely.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 25, 2010 9:50 PM

Don't worry you might get what you hope for. This is from 106.7's twitter page.

1067thefandc

Just got a text from #Redskins QB Jason Campbell "I don't know what's going on." He said other things. Suffice to say he is FRUSTRATED!-CR
about 1 hours ago via web

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

So Mike Bell (RB)of the Saints looks likely to be a UFA. He was drafted by Shanahan in Denver, but after two years wasn't with the Bronocs. Any takers?

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 25, 2010 9:50 PM

Don't worry you might get what you hope for. This is from 106.7's twitter page.

1067thefandc

about 1 hours ago via web

Posted by: TWISI | February 25, 2010 9:57 PM
=============================================================================================================================
possibly the Skins are posturing "2010 and beyond" because of the upcoming Contract extension meeting with JCs agent.
Sign then Trade.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 25, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"JC 2010 and beyond.."
Worst news of the year, if true... A waste of more seasons.. and great Defenses

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 25, 2010 9:50 PM

Great Defense???
2009 STATS/RANKINGS
Pts/Game 21 RANK 21
Yds/Game 320 RANK 10
3rd down D 40% RANK 21
TO/SEASON 17 RANK DEAD LAST

You want to call a below average Defense great but a top 15 QB a waste.

This JC hatred by you and all the other “haters” is nonsensical. I don’t care who the QB, he’s the best option for next year and while he’s not the future, he’s not in the top 8 as far as problems for this offseason.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

In case you haven't read this..

Schefter: "There's no way" the Rams won't pick Sam Bradford at No. 1

In a Wednesday spot with ESPN Radio in St. Louis, Adam Schefter offered up a surprisingly firm prediction regarding the identity of the first pick in the 2010 draft.

Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

Said Schefter: "I would like to record something here, on February 24th. Two months from the draft. And tell you who the number one pick is gonna be right now. On the basis of what I've talked to people around the league [about], everything I've heard. And at some point it's gonna shift to this guy, and I don't know whether it'll be now or late March. It'll probably be after his Pro Day, when he goes through his Pro Day and goes through his workout. Then all of a sudden -- it'll be about a month from now -- we'll start hearing, 'Wow. Would and could the Rams take with the number one overall pick Sam Bradford?'

"And I believe ultimately, when all is said and done, that the Rams' number one pick on April 22nd, two months from now, will be Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. I'm willing to take all bets on that one right now."

Schefter later said he hasn't spoken to the Rams about it, but that based on everything else he's heard he believes "there's no way" the Rams won't take Sam Bradford.

Schefter also threw a politely-crafted dagger at ESPN draftniks Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, without accusing them of wearing sausage casing and/or being a Holden Caufield fantasy. "I notice that Sam Bradford is not in their top five," Schefter said of Kiper and McShay. "I can promise you that's wrong. I can promise you that's wrong."

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I really hope that is true about Bradford.

O-kung all ye faithful

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 10:34 PM

Praying that Schefter is right on this one.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 25, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, all this talk about the Skins picking up Clawson at 4 is just the Skins blowing smoke. Remember Patrick Ramsey? No offensive line, no long-term development. That line plus a rookie QB = happy feet.

The o-line, aside from having weak starting talent, lacks depth -- that's been the case for a decade. Unlike the Nats in baseball, the Snyder era Skins have shown zero commitment to player development, and nowhere has that been more evident in how the Skins have built their o-line through free-agency. The Skins could probably use 4 or 5 quality young o-linemen.

I'd like to believe that the very lack of discussion about offensive linemen coming from the Skins is actually a good thing. If the Skins can float rumors about how much they like Clawson, Bradford, and other skill position players, maybe some other teams will take the bait and trade away draft picks to move up. If 6 o-linemen are projected to go in the 1st round, maybe quality offensive tackles won't be available if the Skins decide to wait. Can the Skins afford to pass up on 1st round talent on the o-line given the dire straights they are in in that position?

Posted by: dannykurland1 | February 25, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Man, I was hoping Bradford would fall to us at #4. Dude is worthy of the top pick. With Bradford likely to be gone, maybe Gerald McCoy slips down to the Skins. He'd be a monster in the middle of the new 3-4 defense.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Still hoping Berry falls to 4 and Redskins can trade back. I think Berry may be a player somebody will jump over to get.

Worried we are staring at Clausen, Okung, and Berry on the board and we pick Clausen.

I think we can get excellent quality OL further back while adding a pick.

Loving that Los called out Zorn/Blache and pretty much called Vinny a f'ing dumb azz.

Of course, a lot more clarity will develop after FA period comes and goes.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 26, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

And if Bradford goes 1, SEA may try to convince us to swap picks so they can grab Clausen. That would be sweet. Okung goes off the board to KC at 5, then we get the pic kof the rest of the litter PLUS another pick from SEA. Of course, SEA could stand pat and either grab Clausen at 6 if we go OT, or the next OT after KC if we grab Clausen so they can replace Walter Jones.

This is all predicated on Schefter nailing Bradford 1 to STL.

Does STL throw a wrench in the works and go Suh, move to LA, and then grab Barkley when he comes out in 2012?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 26, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

BUF is another candidate to come up for Clausen at 4 (to jump SEA) if Bradford goes 1 to STL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 26, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Okung - first rnd
Colt McCoy or Fresno RB in 2nd

Posted by: skinswest | February 25, 2010 5:43 PM
I agree, and hopefully we can trade Campbell for draft pick compensation.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 25, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse
____________________________________

OH MAN... now were talkin' McCoy... NO WAY!!!

Posted by: tony325 | February 25, 2010 6:53 PM

Hey just throwing a name out there with regard to McCoy. If they went with Lefever or Pike, etc. that'd be fine. I know Boswell thinks McCoy's the second coming of H. Schuler but I read he's got great leadership ability and is really accurate with the ball. Not the strongest arm but should be strong enough. Before he got hurt he was moving the ball against the 'bama defense for whatever the hell that's worth. I just don't want to see the David Carr syndrome happen, where a promising rookie QB gets ruined because the line can't protect him.

LT first round.

Also John Clayton wrote the same thing about the Rams taking Bradford.

Posted by: skinswest | February 26, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

And the Redskins select in the 1st rouund.....okung...just say YES.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | February 26, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Boy, I hope Adam Schefter is right about the Rams taking Bradford...kinda saves the Redskins from themselves and almost forces 'em into taking a LT at #4. Let's hope that's the scenario.

OT in the 1st and 2nd round, LeFevour in the 4th if he's still on the board. So easy a caveman could do it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 5:55 AM

Well, you seem convinced that the Redskins have Bradford at the top of their board (I'm not) so there's another scenario. The Redskins trade their pick, plus their second rounder, plus their first from next year's draft to get KC's #1 and then take Bradford.

We need to see what happens in FA before we can get much perspective on the draft, IMO. And, I think Shefter's wrong. KC's gonna focus on Suh and hope someone will trade. If they trade down, then they take Bradford.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

LS, I think you mean St. Louis when you say KC...the Chiefs pick immediately after us.

And I get what you're saying about FA...I just don't have faith that there's gonna be top notch, starting quality OTs available this year. Seems the only way to truly upgrade the O-line this year is in the draft.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

"JC 2010 and beyond.."
Worst news of the year, if true... A waste of more seasons.. and great Defenses

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 25, 2010 9:50 PM

Great Defense???
2009 STATS/RANKINGS
Pts/Game 21 RANK 21
Yds/Game 320 RANK 10
3rd down D 40% RANK 21
TO/SEASON 17 RANK DEAD LAST

You want to call a below average Defense great but a top 15 QB a waste.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 25, 2010 10:26 PM
======================================
Not sure why its only JC. But if a poster expresses a negative opinion about Jason Campbell as the Redskins QB (made in full compliance with the Wash Post terms of use) Diesel44 (and a few others) call it "Hatred". Yet, any other player, a Poster has the same negative opinion about..(there are plenty on here..ie Portis, ARE, etc) No emotional response of "Hatred" from Diesel?

"JC 2010 and beyond.."
Worst news of the year, if true... A waste of more seasons.. and great Defenses"

This Statement is an Opinion about the play of Jason Campbell, not an opinion of "Hatred".
I dont think JC is an NFL Starting QB. 4-12 and a 61 QB rating when the game is on the line, doesnt think so either. And the Skins have had a better than average Defense over the last 4 years during Jason's 4-21 W-L record in the NFC East.
The prospects of watching JC in his 6th year with Redskins (5th as Starter) crumble and overthrow and underthrow when the game gets close, is depressing. Especially given what we pay at FEDEX.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Idoits!
Seriously did anybody watch the Redskins games last season?

Offensive linemen nothing else!

No QB you bring in going to solve the problem with protection.

Tell me what QB in the league could do better than Campbell did with the Offensive line last season?

Know QB wants to be in the position he was in last season. I should say seasons!

Today Reskins are a professional joke but a commercial sucess.
So Suckers keep Danny happy!

Posted by: shamken | February 26, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Clifton, it's considered hate because you're taking what is probably the 8th or 9th biggest problem from '09 and harping on it like we were only a QB away from contention. It's kinda like saying you wouldn't marry a woman who has a gambling problem, cheats on you constantly, and is physically and emotionally abusive...yet you cite her looks as the reason why you don't wanna be with her anymore.

So give it a rest dude...you hate JC. We get it. Worst case scenario, you'll have to deal with him for one more year. Suck it up and move on.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 6:28 AM

Probably not. What I'm looking at in FA is QB's. Do the 'Skins trade Campbell? Do the 'Skins pick up someone else? And what do the other QB-needy teams do, starting with St. Louis (thanks for helping me with that)? If the 'Skins trade Campbell and don't pick up a credible starter, or placeholder, then they'll pick Clausen or Bradford @ #4. If they keep Campbell or pick up, say, Rosenfels, then they're likely looking at an LT.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I will give you a scenario. All of you clowns that are talking about JC sucks, whatever. Lets look at some other QBs that were fantastic year before last and everybody wanted them and what they did this past year.

#1. KC - Cassel. Went what 10-6(?) with NE, what did he do with KC.
#2 Chi - Cutler. Was 8-8 with Den and if I am not mistaken, had a worst record with Chicago.

Now. If it was all about the QB, both these guys had better talent than JC and ALL of you haters were going crazy to get them when they were available. Why did they not have a better record or put up the same stats. I tell you why.

It takes a TEAM to win games. And for those of you going crazy about our defense, statistics are misleading. We had the worst and I repeat the worst 3rd down (when it counts) percentage in the League. We never got people off the field.

Now you add in the fact that we have 0 playmakers, Moss/Randle El SUCK. They scare noone. The 2nd rounders finally started playing the last 3 games. No OL and the play calling was awful. If you notice, we actually started doing better at the end of the season when the Old Man took over the play calling.

And for the Record: Bradford is one hit away from IR and also put up stats against mediocre teams. Clausen may not be one hit away from IR, but, he also has not done a damn thing to impress anyone.

And one more thing, JC was drafted to be in a system that utilizes a Drop Back System. It was Snyder who decided to go to the WCO.

Stop saying he sucks and be fair to the man. He has probably been the best Redskins as far as attitude and work ethic, especially considering all the high price underachievers we have had around here.

Posted by: sputnee | February 26, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I just dont understand it if we pick a qb with the 4th pick...what good is a qb if he doesnt have time to throw???

Posted by: kickass10101 | February 26, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Skinz have won big with the following (not very good)QBs - Doug Williams, Mark Rypien. How? Dominant OLine. You can win with an average QB and a great OLine - but you will NEVER win with a lousy OLine - no matter how good your QB is. cant complete a pass when youre on the ground.

Posted by: squidbreath | February 26, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I just think some of you are so funny. Bith and moan about Danny/Vinney and the way they ran the team and not addressing the biggest problem the o line. Yet a lot of you are calling for us to go after a QB and once again ignore the line.

Posted by: jm220 | February 26, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Beep, beep y'all...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

JC is not an elite type QB..HOWEVER..consider how poor his O line has been over the last couple of years! He actually has put up some good numbers in spite of O line issues.
Also, he had no break away threat at running back, so defenses could cheat a bit more.
Tom Brady is an elite QB..but not so much when he is running for his life. JC does not have the consistent accuracy a top QB needs, but for the next couple of years, he is better than any other options. If they can get the right O line in place....then look for a QB. Imagine any rookie behind that O line!!!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 26, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I hope we do OT in 1st round and 2nd round and sign a OG in Free Agency. You can always find a running back to plug in. We need to cut Portis, Betts, Randy Thomas, Chris Samuels, Cornilius Griffin, Randle El, Cartright, Philip Daniels, Smooth, Mike Williams and Todd Collins like this week.

Posted by: BarackObama | February 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Forget quarterback in Round 1.

Neither Bradford or Clausen is a clear choice as a guy you want to give $40M to.

Take a tackle at No. 4 or move down into the teens and take an OL and pick up another pick in Round 2.

Then in Round 2 another OL or RB can be chosen and perhaps a quarterback late to develop.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

If the draft's deep with OL, then that's what you do, take OL. With the #4 pick AND the #37 pick.

FIX THE BIGGEST LEAK FIRST! Then move on to other areas of need.

Posted by: hailrskins | February 28, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse