It's More than a Game for Bugel

Okay, you've heard Greg Blache describe the defense in Jason Reid's previous post and you have no doubt how deeply the guy is into his job. On the other side of the ball, feelings are just as intense for the coach who runs the show on the offensive line. Joe Bugel told Dan Steinberg he loves the hitting, the tackling, the blocking. Boy, does he love it.

"That first hit, I feel great," he said, after full-contact tackling had finally returned. "That's the big explosion right there, you know what I mean? That puts you on a high. Pro football's always been the sport for me. After 32 years, I love to watch the competitiveness, the explosion, the blocking, the tackles. That's my turn-on, that's my entertainment: violence."

Steinberg adds:

As for Bugel, Baltimore is next, which means even more violence, with many more people watching this time. He'll be nervous before the game, just like he was before Saturday's scrimmage. The same thing happens with Greg Blache, Bugel said, even when it's just intrasquad. You want your players to do well, and you want your schemes to work, and you don't want anyone to get hurt, so your stomach starts churning.
"I still get butterflies," Bugel told me. "I get a little nauseated, so I know I'm on the right track."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 11, 2009; 8:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High Hopes for Defense
Next: Position Battles Set to Officially Begin

Comments

1st. and Last?

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Percolating Nads?

"After 32 years, I love to watch the competitiveness, the explosion, the blocking, the tackles. That's my turn-on, that's my entertainment: violence."

I wish I found football more stimulating than sex. It's in the top 50 though, no doubt.... football, that is.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"I still get butterflies," Bugel told me. "I get a little nauseated..."

He must be watching practice videotape of offensive line play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

5 years ago, I spent a 4-day weekend with my girl(at the time) while her parents traveled to Paris. When I left her house, for 5(might have been 6) minutes I wanted nothing to do with sex; I somewhat have an idea of what Buges is talking about! lol

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

1st. and Last?

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:10 PM

50%. That would be an F in most classrooms. On RI, anyone who is right half the time is either a genius or is cheating. In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

This is just first-rate reporting and coverage by Mr. Reid.

Just terrific. Thanks.

Give him a raise. Kornheiser's gone (isn't he?); there must be a few thousand laying around.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 11, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

"I still get butterflies," Bugel told me. "I get a little nauseated..."

He must be watching practice videotape of offensive line play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna jump on that quote in a similar fashion; But if I had done it, what would Moe have done?

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

t_e,

I keep trying that 'Last' thing but I haven't been successful yet. One of these days..

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

This is just first-rate reporting and coverage by Mr. Reid

And by Ms. Boren. Et al.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 11, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

t_e,

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:38 PM

This is so simple, even I can do it. Go back to a post about a week ago, scroll down to the bottom, type "last." Just don't tell me which one, because I'm the sort of guy that might try to one-up you. Or, in this case, outlast you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Who is et al?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Buges. I love you buddy, but "turn on"? I don't need an image of Buges watching o-line film in the dark with a giant Jergens bottle nearby.
Me, I do that only while watching footage of us sacking opposing teams' QBs. Anything else is just plain weird. Right, guys? ... guys?

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

This article talks about a guy who never ceases to entertain me! and he's religious, I think.

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't need that image either..wait..NOOOOOO..Damn you pgugino!

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Who is et al?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse
____________________

That would be the new fourth receiver behind A. El.

Posted by: Xlnt | August 11, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

vicc

"...But if I had done it, what would Moe have done?"

Grabbed the mic, free-styled a comment, then, once I'd rock the house with unfunny nonsense, end it with this, "That first hit, I feel great," Bugel said. "That puts you on a high."

(INSERT image of 'Pineapple Express' redskin moment with an afroed mayorreid nodding to Bugel's sermon about violence, football, blocking, and dirty bong water.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Jason Reid, for doing an excellent job with the blog. I could go on & on about the things that I like about your posts and writing, but instead, I'll say Thank You

Greg Blache is great. That man knows what's up.

Hope everyone is having a good summer!

Posted by: matthewvickers | August 11, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

what would Moe have done?

Posted by: Vicc

I'm thinking that is the next massive phenomenon. WWMHD bracelets, tatoos, bumper stickers, pendants, etc. Heck, Six Flags can create an attraction -- WWMHD. Half thrill ride, half something else.

its gonna be huge!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 11, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Who is et al?

You don't know Et and Al?

Sheesh..some Redskins fan you are...

Posted by: SteveMG | August 11, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"dirty bong water"

Whoa dude, that was the name of our garage band back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Then we discovered the true meaning of getting your car washed and later changed our name to "dirty blonde washer"

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

From Peter King of SI talking about HOF class for 2010

**********

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 11, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Offensive Lineman can make the HoF? They aren't even a fantasy league afterthought.

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

What can O-lineman do? beside take blame for ineffective Qb's?

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

2010...the year Grimm goes into the HOF AND becomes HC of the Skins...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Et Al was her maiden name... before she married Peter Cetera.

Posted by: daggar | August 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Can someone on RI please answer this question...

Why are the Skins getting criticized for taking an undrafted free agent in Stephon Heyer and trying to develop him into a starter? Doesn't the FO get ripped for bringing in overpriced free agents year after year, but it looks like we are trying to develop our own talent, even with Bridges and Reinhart.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 11, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Yo check this ricky, I'm glad you showed up.

I've read some of your posts here and there, old and recent. I think you and I are in agreement in stance on our O-line and how it affects--or lack there of--JC17.

Posted by: Vicc | August 11, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | August 11, 2009 10:20 PM
=======================================

Hi Ricky.

I'm also offended when people who think our offensive line is over the hill and injury prone complain about apple pie and the Statue of Liberty.

What's wrong with those haters, anyway?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 11, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

The same criticism would be made if the Redskins were relying on Chris Wilson to be their starting DE, Lorenzo Alexander to be their starting DT, or Matteral Richardson to be a starting CB. Only the Redskins aren't doing that with those guys. They invested in serious talent at those positions. And their negligence with that in regards to the offensive line is what sparks criticism -- especially considering the offensive line is largely considered one of the three most important positional groups on the team (along with QB and d-line).

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

From a couple threads ago.

Denver does have quite a stable of backs, but didn't the Skins alraedy scoop up Aldridge from their leavings? I think the Redskins already have more backs than they can keep, and I'm not sure any of Denver's backs you mentioned constitute an upgrade or a change of pace to the guys already in camp. As far as a goalline back, I'll take my chances with CP every time, because he's so good at knifing through even the smallest creases, and I think the train wreck known as the TJ Duckett Experience taught us that goalline specialty-type backs like Hillis are no good behind our weak line. Too slow and too big to find a hole. Just my opinion.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 11, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

True the guys I mentioned aren't change of pace guys but neither Portis or Betts has been able to stay healthy for a full season lately (admittedly that's been Torrain's problem as well over one season anyway). Some reports say Denver loves Hillis others say McDaniel's offense doesn't feature a fullback too much so he may be without a position. He'd be an eventual replacement for Sellers. I think he's already a better runner/receiver then Sellers don't know about the blocking yet. He played tailback for a few games last year before getting hurt and looked like Riggins part deaux.

Posted by: skinswest | August 11, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

'True the guys I mentioned aren't change of pace guys but neither Portis or Betts has been able to stay healthy for a full season lately'

I won't call you out, whoever said this knows who they are, and now knows that Portis has started every game the last two years and has only missed a total of 9(8 in one season)games since he's been with the 'Skins.

Granted nobody is truely ever healthy throughout the whole year, but some play with pain and others don't. I like how I can count on Clinton to play!

Posted by: Vicc | August 12, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Q: "Why are the Skins getting criticized for taking an undrafted free agent in Stephon Heyer and trying to develop him into a starter?"

A: They're getting criticized for banking on Heyer to become the starter. 'Trying' to develop him into one isn't a problem...relying on an undrafted FA to become one is.

Posted by: psps23

Well said.

The OL is, in part, a numbers game. Bring in lots of guys, including high level talent, and expect some will overachieve. On the OL, the Skins have brought in god young talent only rarely. Dock and Rinehart are the only OL draft picks above rd 6 in the last 9 drafts (both 3rd round)!!

Good for Heyer to overachieve, which he has. But you also want some talent in your talent pool.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Do we have any faith that if this season is less than stellar i.e. 9-7ish range with no playoffs or out in first round that the Snyder will focus on getting the o-line in shape and not burn down the whole barn all over again?

I realize we've had this discussion ad nauseum but for some reason I've been chewing on it for a few days.

Let's say the Soups performs well enough to keep what would that have to look like?

Does it make any sense to tear it all up and bring in a new person with a new offensive scheme AGAIN and then expect miracles and flying pigs?

Utterly baseless (and useless) predictions: Shanahan in Dallas (if they implode please god)or Oakland for revenge, Cowher in Carolina or Tampa and Holmgren in SF (if it is a disasterous season and they can nab a QB).

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

sf - If Zorn goes, so will Campbell. Campbell is a free agent next year and there's no way he'd resign here to play for another new coach. And, if the season goes bad enough for Zorn to get the ax, I doubt the FO would want Campbell back anyway.

You're coaching predictions are pretty much spot on, although I can't see Shanahan going to work for the Raiders. He was there once before and sucked and there's no way Al Davis lets anyone run the show but Al Davis. I'm also rooting for Singletary to succeed in SF.

If this season is a washout, my money's on Gruden being our next head coach.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 12, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Joke Of The Day

Actual away message on a friend of a friend's email:

"Today, I had a horrible breakup with my girlfriend of two years. In my depressive state, I changed my Facebook status to the Blue October lyrics "Hate me today, Hate me tomorrow, Hate me for all the things I didn't do for you." My ex commented, "Give me an orgasm?" Five of my friends including my mom "Liked" this. FML"

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2009 1:09 AM

Are you aware of how Shanahan's tenure in Oakland ended? He wouldn't come within 100 miles of Oakland unless he was on the visitors sideline. Cowher is right now waiting out the Carolina gig, I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere else. And mark my words: if he gets even a decent QB, Mike Singletary will be great in SF. They have some nice young pieces there and I'll be stunned if they don't at least contend for the NFC West title.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

"Give me an orgasm?"

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 7:04 AM

Talk about high-maintenance! Some women expect you to do everything for them. Why can't she do this herself? Probably she wanted him to park her car and pick up her laundry, too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 12, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 12, 2009 7:30 AM

That chick is one of those typical morons that will love it when she's getting it and all of a sudden act like it was bad once the relationship goes south just to try and hurt the guy. If she was gettin' it for 2 years, dude couldn't have been THAT bad!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

beeps.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 12, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

If she was gettin' it for 2 years, dude couldn't have been THAT bad!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 7:39 AM

How 'bout this brownwood? She liked him at one position -- hands-in-the-dirt missionary on every down. It's when he experimented with a new position on first down -- back door church steeple -- that things went bad.

Just proves what you've been saying: once you've found the position you're best at, stick with it. These experiments never work out.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 12, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I get sooooooo frustrated with our fans sometimes going off on tangents about things that they know nothing about. First, I would like to say that I am excited by what the Skins are trying to do. I believe that M. Williams and J. Bridges will provide some adequate depth at the very least if not eventually supplant one of our vets as a starter. Also, if you look at every team who is said to have a premiere O- line and actually go to their web sites and look at when their O-linemen were drafted or how they were acquired the geniuses that wrote " you are not supposed to turn unheralded free agents and undrafted rookies to starters" would not have done so. Mr Snyder has been criticized for many years for blowing the financial wad during off- seasons, now that he is doing it the right way people are critical of that. The team can not fix the mistakes of years past in one season, you must pick and choose your moments and do it one year at a time. That is how champions are made, THAT is what us Redskins fans have been begging for. LET IT HAPPEN! Albert was worth the money you will see that, there was no o-lineman out there worth acquiring this off season for the money they were asking.( maybe pick one up from roster cuts, just a thought) In the next 2 years we have to add 1-2 o lineman, a middle line backer, maybe a QB if JC does not resign with us or vice versa. If he would have made a splash on one of the over rated linemen available this year. JC would have got the boot, L Fletch would have had to take a pay cut or get the boot, and we would have gone into whole sale changes( basically back to re building mode) for a b - level player at best. Be patient, shut up about stuff that you dont have enough knowledge about, and watch this team become a perrenial winner again. Dan gets it finally, now let him correct his mistakes........THE RIGHT WAY

Posted by: mrshepherd | August 12, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse