Game On: Who Will Win Redskins-Ravens?

On July 27, I declared the fubball season open on twitter, but now I really mean it. I don't have to tell you that there's a game tonight, featuring a reunion of the Landry brothers, and that this is the place to be if 1) you can't be at M&T Bank Stadium or 2) in a public ale house of some ilk.

We'll be BOGO and TOGO starting in the early afternoon. Paul "Aquaman" Tenorio will be tweeting the game (@hyperskins). This will be an intense feed, much like @hyperfix does with White House pressers. I'll be tweeting @RedskinsInsider and will retweet @JReidPost, @RickMaese and @mikewiseguy. Wilbon -- he don't tweet. Yet. Tweet your pics and we'll retweet 'em. Dan Steinberg will be at the game, roaming the lots and doing whatever it is he does. If you seem him at a tailgate or elsewhere, say hi, but you should know that he scares easily.

There will also be mobile alerts and you can get the scoop on those here.

If you're going to Baltimore, you'll need weather and traffic reports, so here you go. Weather? It'll be hot. Traffic? There'll be plenty. Should you need more info, Dan Stillman of the Capital Weather Gang has the first Skinscast of the season. And you can sign up for mobile traffic alerts to help you get there.

If you're new up here, welcome. A buncha people have been populating this place for over three years now. You'll find them to be a very warm, nurturing group of people when they aren't devouring their young who love football, the Redskins and the jibba jabba. There's a whole riki of insider terms ... I think Nate in the PDX can hook you up if you find the lingo (for instance, BOGO) baffling.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 13, 2009; 12:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell: O Line Just Needs Reps
Next: Redskins' Scratches Include Randy Thomas

Comments

Uno

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | August 13, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Wait there is a game tonight?

Posted by: skinball77 | August 13, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Tim Krumrie, who was their DL coach, made that show watchable....he's certifiable...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 12:30 PM

And what team did he play his pro-carreer for??? CL?

The Bengals. Who Dey? Who Dey?

Re: UCLA - That's NCAA Brackets, Not the NFL.

Just make sure you join NAte's FF league...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

who cares?...no injuries and winning 1-1 battles in first quarter.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

For Skins, a win = 0 injuries.

Don't care about the score.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"Who will win the Redskins-Ravens game tonight?"

Where's the box to vote 'I don't give a SJK" as long as nobody gets injured?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

4th, you're funny, I'm still not watching...oh and you're close to me labeling you a Bengals fan, like dealer, who's a lions fan.

Yeah, I'll take a solid showing, no injuries throughout the preseason....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

OK 4th enjoy watching the Bengals.....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

RI Q: "Who will win the Redskins-Ravens game tonight?"

More of interest is "What will the Skins 1st O look like against the Ravens 1st D?" Although it is only the 1st preseason game and there might be a lot of holdouts from both 1sts, hence not much to conclude about.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I've never watched an episode of hard knocks. You incited me with that Cowboys talk.

The HC of my son's Football team is a Coyboys fan and he had his Girls' hat on for a scrimmage yesterday. I have to live with it, though because he is a much better coach than last year and he likes what my son is doing on the OLine @ LT......

BG - I already stated that the Bengals use to be my AFC team during my kiddie days, so I wouldn't feel that bad about it. I am rooting for them as far as the AFC goes....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh c'mon - we all know how this one ends - Redskins get down by 10-13 points in the first 3 quarters, and then, either Colt Brennan or Chase Daniel, in the best tradition of Joe Theisman and Babe Laufenberg brings them back against the scrubs to win the game.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

4th - how do you know he's a better coach then last year - is he staying medium?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Who will win the Redskins-Ravens game tonight?" = power rankings

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I am rooting for them as far as the AFC goes....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:48 PM

Go Browns!

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Incited you with Cowboys talk? 4th what part of "almost" don't you understand. thats a j-o-k-e to say its, read slowly, ALMOST as as bad as cowboys...stop sharpening your pitchfork.

Calling me a cowboys supporter over that is some poor redskins fans brotherhood siht right there.

And I figured you had never watched the show, b/c not knowing about what you speak of is your typical MO. ZING

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

This is obviously the single most important game of the year. I totally forgot there was a team in Baltimore. Actually, I totally forgot Baltimore was a city and not a rest stop on the way to Philly.

Posted by: PDiddy | August 13, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Cl - I believe the Bengals will win their division....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:28 PM

I believe that, due to O-line problems in the Steel (mesh) Curtain, it is theoretically possible they could eke past Pittsburgh.

It is also possible that the complete absence of WRs in Baltimore slows down even the Raven's defense.

But there is absolutely no possible way on God's green Earth that the recently re-loaded Bengals get anywhere near Mangini's perfectly satisfied Cleveland Browns.

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I hate Ravens "fans" worse than the team itself. Ravens fans are only closet Redskins fans. They run to the Ravens when they are good and in the few seasons the Redskins had a playoff run, they jump on the bandwagon.

If you don't believe me...go to any bar in the 95 North corridor. In the year we made our playoff run, the Ravens stunk. they took down all Ravens paraphernalia and replaced it with Redskins stuff.

F'ing SHAMEFUL!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Long time listner, first time caller. Is there any way for folks outside the metro to watch this game? Online?

Posted by: dc-nc | August 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

First time/long time: Check the last thread for some suggestions for dubious websites streaming the game. But the posters are not responsible for the malware and spyware that might cause your machine to implode. Unless you have a Mac....(getting under my siht storm cover now as 4th will defend malware)

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Rickyroge...I disagree...I hate the ravens more for the whole Cleveland thing and the slimebucket way they operated and got to B'more. Their fans are sorta lame though.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Starting 11s on the Terps-Cavs-Hokies-Bison NFL Team (alternate starter in parentheses)

Offense

QB - Matt Schaub (Vick)
RB - Thomas jones (LaMont Jordan)
TE - Heath Miller
TE - Vernon Davis
WR - Eddie Royal
WR - Andre Davis (D.Heyward-Bey)
T - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Eugene Monroe)
T - Jared Gaither (Stephon Heyer)
G - Elton brown
G - Andrew Crummey/Matt Lehr
C- Jake Grove

Defense

DT - Kris Jenkins
DE - Chris Canty
DE - Patrick Kerney (Chris Long)
ILB - EJ Henderson
ILB - D'Qwell Jackson
OLB - Shawne Merriman
OLB - James Farrior
CB - DeAngelo Hall
CB - Josh Wilson (Dominique Foxworth)
SS - Antoine Bethea
FS - Madieu Williams

Frankly this team would mop the floor with the Lions. The big weakness is the interior O-line where Jake Grove is the only true front-line starter. WR could be stronger. Nice selection of OTs, LBs and DBs.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Would anybody up here be upset if Dallas signed Vick

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 13, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

For those saying that the only thing that matters is no injuries, let’s not forget last pre-season. Even though the games are “meaningless”, by the time the Skins lost to the Panthers 47-3 in the all important 2nd-to-last-game, and the 1st string (not to mention backups) offense had not done JACK SQUAT in the points department, it was pretty ugly up here……Most of the regs and occasionals were pretty nasty towards the new coach, new system, new draft picks, OL and especially the QB……then they went 6-2 and all was forgotten….till they missed the playoffs of course, but that’s another story.

I for one want to see some points (and no injuries of course)…….would be especially nice of D Thomas and/or M. Kelley were to get a TD or two this pre-season….HAIL!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Skins lose 20-13. Only TD is in garbage time. JC is 5-7, 50 yards. Starting D is good, starting O is decent.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 13, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Would anybody up here be upset if Dallas signed Vick

Posted by: GreatOne1

No, because most of these Redskin fans think that Vick isn't good enough for the Washington Redskins. Like he's the Antichrist or some other evil dude. They'll rejoice that he's going to Dallas and then at a point in time when they play the Redskins, curse Snyder and Cerrato for not signing him.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

GO BREAK A LEG CAMPBELL!!

Colt in 09

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 13, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

********************

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:54 PM

cL - was half joking too. I thought you knew that 'bro'? lol...lmao..lls...such as...

John - Dude is never medium. He is more of a Tom Caughlin type ranter always angry at someone type coach. Immediatelly after the scrimmage he benched 3/5ths of the OLine (not my son, though) and one of the TEs. Dude is histirocal.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Campbell 2/8 62 yds. 1 INT 0 TD

Brennan 22/28 190 yds. 0 INT 2 TD

Todd Collins 9/14 100 yds. 1 INT 0 TD

Posted by: rickyroge | August 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, lighten up CL....typical cowboys fan.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

ColtBrennanColtBrennanColtBrennan!

Well, at least Ron Mexico would be closer his nom de pleum. (sp?)

I kinda don't care where he goes. I'd take him on Skins as a Punt Returner. That's about it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | August 13, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

um...i was joking as well..I am sure we all keep cool heads while being accussed of being cowboys fans....for making fun of the Bengals.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

d-haze dont make me come over there...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"M. Vick is quite the enigma. His athleticism makes him enticing but how many offenses does he fit in to? He's the kind of guy you have to build your offense around and not just plug him into a system. I don't see him in the NFL until after a stint in the UFL.
Posted by: bangkokben "

Maybe a year ago that would have been true, but now I don't think so. The difference: the success of the Wildcat package. More teams are taking advantage of their running QBs. Take Tennessee -- they've told Vince Young they're going to put in some option plays specifically for his talents.

You know who could be a Wildcat QB for the Skins? Randle El.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Would anybody up here be upset if Dallas signed Vick

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 13, 2009 1:02 PM

Question for RomoLongBalls, are you really Tony Romo?

GreatOne, that guy might care. Personally, I think Vick has better composure and is harder to rattle than Romo. So I wouldn't want that to happen. Keep Romo in Dallas (so he can be thrown to the ground repeatedly).

[On that point, I wonder whether Andre Gurode is going to get twitchy in the stitches having to face Haynesworth TWICE every season for a while.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Thats a trick question!

Also didn't R Barber play at UVA? Or was that just Tiki?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what the line is tonight? I want to throw some $$$ down!

Posted by: mack1 | August 13, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd take him on Skins as a Punt Returner. That's about it.

Posted by: DikShuttle

I had a dust up with you recently, but I agree on with you on this. No one is saying that he has to come back and play exclusively at QB. Put him at punt/kick returner, RB, hell I'd see what he can do catching the ball. The man has talent, and last I checked the 'skins weren't that damn special on offense.

Although I think this is what's holding up him being signed. I think he wants to play QB only -- NFL teams have other ideas.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Now go get your f'n shine box!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

good gosh! I thought they only had youth coaches like that down here in Texas...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

RedD, you're good in my book. I thot we were just funnin' anyway. s'all good.

Yeah, I don't know how you can just write off (one of) the most gifted football players in the world if he's ok'd by the government & the governing body of the league.

I had QB questions about him when he was still in good graces, but he's definitely talented. Ur prolly right about him wantin' startin' QB-ibility.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Mike Vick will sign with a team either today or tomorrow. Probably the Skins. If not, than the Vikes. As shaky as the o-line situation is in DC, the Skins need a guy like Vick. Vinny knows this.

Posted by: cj658 | August 13, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what the line is tonight? I want to throw some $$$ down!

Posted by: mack1 | August 13, 2009 1:32 PM

I very strongly doubt there are lines on preseason games. I very seriously anticipate that there are odds on which team signs Vick and whether it happens by midnight tomorrow.

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Correction: The odds on the "when" of Vick signing would be set at midnight Saturday. Dungy said "this week."

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Tony Dungy's retired, sween, he has no sense of time any more. For him a "week" could be a fortnight, or a month.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"...then, either Colt Brennan or Chase Daniel, in the best tradition of Joe Theisman and Babe Laufenberg brings them back against the scrubs to win the game.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

lest we forget Harry Theophilides!

Posted by: mdrockjock | August 13, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

sign vick, make him play RT....or trade him to the pats for brady.....or to Miami for Jake Long.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I always like to see the Redskins win but preseason is more about seeing some young player rise up and make great plays.

The young players I think will stand out tonight:

-Lorenzo Alexander - I know he is not the youngest of players, but I think he has looked good in camp and I think it will translate to the field.

-Devin Thomas - If he can keep the hammy happy I think he is ready to make some waves.

-Robbie Agnone - Look out Todd Yoder, this guy is going to steal your job.

-Kareem Moore - Especially if he and Landry are on the field at the same time...

-Colt Brennan - He's going to make all of the second string receivers look real good tonight.

Most likely to be injured: Stephon Heyer

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 13, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Damn! I'm trying to recoup my losses from the pro bowl.

Posted by: mack1 | August 13, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 2:05 PM

Miami wouldn't go for that. But maybe we could trade him and a fourth rounder for Jason Taylor.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead
______________________________________

Yep, want to see how lots of key players perform tonight... Bridges, Dock, Rino, Kelly, Davis, Jarmon, Rak, Barnes, etc etc. It'll be very interesting.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead,
let's hope you're right. I'd also like to see Orakpo and Jarmon both get their shots at the QB. Rob Jackson too.

Posted by: pgugino | August 13, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, yes, don't you think Jason Taylor would help our pass rush immensely?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 2:03 PM

Obviously you've never been retired. Month is no problem -- time between social security checks. And a week is the time it takes to spend the social security check. And a fortnight is the time when you ask your kids for money to tide you over 'til the next social security check.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I will tell you what mack, I will give you a 40/1 shot that you can't predict who will have the most sacks. Note : All bets will be paid out in bonus points.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, yes, don't you think Jason Taylor would help our pass rush immensely?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 2:21 PM

Pass rush? Is that his specialty? Wow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

2 things I can't wait to see tonight..

Kelly and D Thomas

Then the Ravens OL getting Orakponed!!!

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 13, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 2:22 PM

Mack--Alex doesn't have any bonus points. Greg, the bonus point burglar, got 'em while he was at a Nats game.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you the score of ANY NFL game before it starts!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Also didn't R Barber play at UVA? Or was that just Tiki?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Ronde went to UVA...is he still in the league?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

TE, looks like you missed my note yesterday…..when we are all discussing how Suisham needs to get better or go, I remembered your defense of him heading into last season…..how do you feel about him now?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead
______________________________________

Posted by: chasgiffen

I'd be fine if none of our top 25 players played ... except for rookies and 2nd year types that need the game experience.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see our "starting" O-line play a series or 2 and look average-decent in pass protection.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under 5 yards on the first drive?

Play 1 - Portis over the left side, 2 yards
Play 2 - Portis wide right, -1 yard
Play 3 - Cooley drop

Book it

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I expect to learn very little from tonight's game. Won't watch because they show other stuff here in San Jose instead of important stuff like the Skins 1st preseason game.

1st preseason game is mostly about seeing who are the guys in spots 60-80 on the roster ... the 'not gonna be here much longer' group.

And hopefully to find some unlikely gems that should be here ... a la Chris Horton

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Why am I seeing flashes of the name "Jason Taylor" on the blog as I scroll through???

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait. Portis isn't playing.

Ok, same scenario with Betts.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 1:51 PM

ROFLMAO! Though, I think youth coaches are generally more harsher in the South, they and the parents can get pretty heated up here as well. This club has a semi-winning tradition, so that's how it is. To be honest, all I want my son to do is learn the sport and asert some aggresiveness so that he can fund my retirement by playing in the NFL/UFL.

And if he can't, I got another son to work with in 3 more years.... (joking, I'm joking...Well, atleast partially joking)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under 5 yards on the first drive?

Play 1 - Portis over the left side, 2 yards
Play 2 - Portis wide right, -1 yard
Play 3 - Cooley drop

Book it

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I have to agree...although I think Play 3 will involve JC dropping back and getting rid of it wide/out-of-bounds b/c of a pass-rush in his mug...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I would replace Josh Wilson with Ronald Bartell.

H.! U.! You knooow!

It's Showtime.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1
_________________________

Not me. These guys need to get battle-ready, can't get there by not playing because of injury fears.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Ronde went to UVA...is he still in the league?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 2:29 PM

He is the real HOFer. Not his Stupid Twin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

yeaaahhhhhhhhhh ya talkin' out da sideya neck!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

He is the real HOFer. Not his Stupid Twin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

The only upside of the Giants winning the Super Bowl was the complete and utter destruction of Tiki's analytical credibility.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 2:43 PM

Agreed! That should be #1 in the NFL top 10 STFU-moments countdown, soon to air on NFLN.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

worse sound, better dancers ;]

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

We should just punt on 1st down

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 2:46 PM

That should be #2.

#1 should be, 'How does it feel to be a Black Qaurterback?'

#3 - Rush Limbaugh

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schein's thoughts ...

7. Jason Campbell needs to grow a pair

Those aren't my words. They were spoken by tight end Chris Cooley on Monday.

And Campbell didn't take offense to the notion.

There seems to be a theme from last year's Redskins season that Campbell was way too conservative, often times checking down for no reason. The theories are endless, ranging from protecting his streak without a pick to a learning curve in Jim Zorn's offense.

Campbell told us that this year, a make-or-break contract season in Washington, he is going to have a "let it rip mentality." And in watching practice, he most certainly did. Zorn says he sees a comfort level in Campbell. And Campbell promises he won't be afraid of the pick this season. Plus, Campbell has asserted himself as a team leader this offseason and in training camp.

In chatting up Campbell, Zorn and Vinny Cerrato, everyone is on the same page on the Jay Cutler flirtation. It was an opportunity to bring in a top-10 quarterback and it was pursued. Campbell says, "Look, I know they looked at him. They didn't make the trade. If I dwelled on it, that would be selfish."

I believe in Campbell. I do think he's a proven winner on the collegiate level. But the pressure is going to be at an all-time high in D.C. this year. While I think Campbell will develop what Cooley wants to see, I don't like the right side of the offensive line or the receivers, and that will hurt the quarterback.

8. The Washington defense will be ranked lower this year, but will be more dominant

Allow me to explain.

Quick quiz: Name the four top-ranked defenses in the NFL last year.

Did you put Washington fourth?

And the reason you didn't is because this defense didn't change games with sacks or picks. It's the reason they brought in star defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth as a big- ticket (literally and figuratively) free agent and wisely spent their first-round pick on Brian Orakpo, who will play linebacker and then end on third down to aid the pass rush.

Haynesworth tells us that he hears the skeptics say that he will lay down now that he got paid and swears that won't be the case. The presence of Haynesworth will help Washington pressure the quarterback. And DeAngelo Hall is a 'Skins cornerback for an entire season. I think Hall can get back to his Pro Bowl form.

The ranking might drop this year, but I firmly believe Greg Blache's defense will make a stronger impact.

9. A not-so-random collection of thoughts from the road ...

# I have no confidence in Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and Fred Davis taking the necessary steps for the 'Skins. I witnessed Davis drop a pass for a touchdown.

# If the Redskins don't make the playoffs, Mike Shanahan will be the first coach Dan Snyder turns to.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

worse sound, better dancers ;]

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 2:48 PM

Dang! I was this close to posting that!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to start the campaign to bring in Coarch Art Shell.

I started one after they got rid of Pettibon, but it never made much headway...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 2:30 PM

He had his worst year ever last year and is lucky they even invited him back to camp this year. Before last year he had good numbers. Now, he's a question mark.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

grew up studying that solo!! This is like the only town where cameo get's their due.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Other then Terry Robiskie have the skins ever had an African American head coach, i am assuming that we never did back in the olden days? Not trying to start anything just wondering. And I wonder what NFL teams have never had a African American Head Coach. These are the things that I space out on when I am all hyped up on ginger ale.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Score is irrelevant. Hoping to see 1st team O sustain a drive and get out w/o injuries.

Want to see the wonder twins make some plays w/o F'ing up assignments, etc.

How's F. Davis looking?

Want to see Rinehart get a lot of reps at RG. Whats he really got?

Want to see how Colt and the "stronger, more fit, more knowledgeable in this WCO" Collins do.

Want to see somebody not named ARE return some punts w/ alacrity.

Want to see Hunter the Punter punt in a clearly professional manner. Every time.

Want to see how Rak does playing in space at Sam backer.

Want to see the D play well, but not so amazingly dominant that somebody grabs the Skin's D in my fantasy leagues before I steal them in the 15th round.

Most of all, want to see everybody walk normally from the locker room to the bus after the game with out wearing an arm sling.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 2:46 PM
That should be #2.
#1 should be, 'How does it feel to be a Black Qaurterback?'
#3 - Rush Limbaugh
Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 2:50 PM

Some more in no particular order:

- Eagles fans in general, but especially when Ronde Barber took a pick 6 to close out the NFC Champ game at the Vet.
- Dallas Cowboys (and fans) after the 82 NFC Champ game, and 2005 Brunell to Moss X2.
- NFL Owners when Namath’s Jets beat the Colts.
- TO – nuff said
- John Madden, after claiming that he couldn’t understand why the Pats weren’t just running out the clock and playing for OT vs the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Marv Marinovich, I mean 4th, it's my understanding that neither that question nor a similar question was asked of DW17.

Legend?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

- John Madden*

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

*Fixed

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

9. A not-so-random collection of thoughts from the road ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:51 PM

How does one dropped pass by Davis put the jinx on Thomas and Kelly? Did they knock it out of his hands?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Would anybody up here be upset if Dallas signed Vick

Posted by: GreatOne1
_______________________

Not really, though Vick does have something Romo doesn't have: a playoff win.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo Bills press conference in minutes. Vick signing????????? We'll see...

Posted by: will_ga | August 13, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

te, no kidding, so based on that 1 incident, we might as well cut those guys....stupid just flat out stupid...lazy journalism as well.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Rich Eisen reports Bills postponing press conference for now. Dang, I want him out of our conference. The sooner the better!

Posted by: will_ga | August 13, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I want a cheese tree.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Would anybody up here be upset if Dallas signed Vick

Posted by: GreatOne1

Just another QB I would not mind seeing a Redskins LB give a ender too.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo Bills press conference in minutes. Vick signing????????? We'll see...

Posted by: will_ga | August 13, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

More likely to be an update on T.O.'s toe, and ESPN is gonna get an exclusive on it, bang it on their headlines every half-hour, then roll-out their talking heads to faux-complain about how T.O. gets too much coverage...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

9. A not-so-random collection of thoughts from the road ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:51 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Ask Schein over at Foxsports -- he wrote it -- and I'm guessing he isn't one of the blog posters up here.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I want a cheese tree.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:11 PM

And you should. I have a Butter Milkwood Tree in my yard.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Lot of marching bands rock
this remake of this Cameo jawnt.

Showtime killed it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

............

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2009 3:02 PM

Leave it to Learned to teach me something new about somebody atleast once a month....

I could never be as hard as the Marv Marinovich...Cuz I have a wife!

Doug Williams said himself on 'America's Game' that he was posed this question. Maybe it was a variation of it as I saw on link......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Wait there is a game tonight?

Posted by: skinball77 | August 13, 2009 12:34 PM

and evidently Pearl Harbor got attacked, but the USA caused it (or let it happen). You learn the most interesting things on this blog.

p1funk,

Maybe we should WV and Marshall to the list. We could pick up Steve Slanton, Pat White, Randy Moss. I sure they have a couple of other players in the NFL too.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The risk/reward for Vick at kewbie is too high. The guy is 29, you gotta figure a year to knock off the rust, and then what? The durability of any mobile QB not named Cunningham or Garcia is iffy at best. McNabb and Culpepper come to immediate mind when thinking about the upper edge of the playing spectrum. Best case scenario, you get 3 or 4 years?

And what do you get in terms of leadership? Vick was never really known to be a natural field general, and incarceration is not exactly covered by 'leadership training' cassettes.

So, if Dallas signed him to hold a clipboard, I'd be happy, because there are so many question marks there. However, if they got him to come in as WR, then I'd be a little peeved we didn't do it.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Leftwitch

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't those cameo guys run a resort down in Jamaica now?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

WV/Marshall would prob go to Pittsburgh....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

4th - if you read the article, it was a misinterpretation of the actual question. Wilbon covered it...

... according to the article, anyway.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Pacman Jones

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

p1funk,

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Steve Slaton is the Terp that got away...

He grew up wanting to play at Maryland. Ralph Friedgen had him under scholarship, then decided to rescind it, b/c he (apparently) already had too many RBs under scholarship and wanted to give Slaton's scholarship to some lineman. Steve Slaton moved on broken-heartedly, went to WV, torched UMD in every matchup they had, and the rest is history...

Going into WV might be pushing it a bit...those are Steeler-folk out there, and we're trying to keep things in the colleges of Skins-nation.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

And there's a cheese tree!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Dik, last I heard, Larry Blackmon was in Atl. A couple of the band members played on Outkast records.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Only thing about including Owens in that STFU list is that other than his constant b!tching, most of the time he's right.

It's not like he makes these claims (McNabb or Romo) and no one vouches for his comments. It must be some kind of true to it...

Vick to the Bills makes alot of sense, they're on the verge of losing their team up there in (laughs) Buffalo, right? And if they do move to Toronto(?) I think it'll put butts in chairs.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Two things: Mr. Wendell and "I'm still thirsty."

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Any Howard Bison out there that knows of NFL guys who went to HU besides Bethea and Bartell???

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

those guys are badass. codpiece or no...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah & T.O. can't ruin Vick's moral - 'cause he's already totally demoralized.

...it does make perfect sense, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, need to drop NFL.com a comment to add college to their player select option beside Name and Position

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

You mean on the search database. I agree also I would love to be able to search by draft class or draft round.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

they have a form on the "Contact Us" page...

I dropped a comment to be able to select by college or college conference

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Alex, those are good too, send a comment!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"Who Will Win Redskins-Ravens?"

Who cares?

All I want is:

a. two efficient scoring drives by the redskins' 1st team offense (touchdown/field goal)

b. a decent punt return

c. two three and outs against the ravens' 1st team offense

d. 1 sack by the redskins' defense

e. no injuries

Beyond that, it's a preseason game.

And wanting to win it is like hoping to lose your virginity by having sex with your sister--it still don't count for nothing but something weird but good at the same time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You should be also be able to select by H.S./Place of Birth.

This area has to be the worst in letting local talent get away.

Maryland Terrapins.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Yeah, I saw Tom Brady throw an INT in the Red Zone once. He utterly sucks.

What sane, rational person wouldn't judge 3 guys off a single play?

Posted by: McMetal | August 13, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Noon,
I did but then I started listing all the things they need to do better.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Nothing good can come from boning your sister.

Nothing.

Just nasty and trife. That is all.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

WOW.....and yikes at the same time...boy did the conversation take a turn for the worst.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Just nasty and trife. That is all.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------------

And now I'm just having flashbacks of Mr(s). Garrison yelling "F*%$* me like a monkey!"

Thanks alot.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Nothing good can come from boning your sister.

Nothing.

Just nasty and trife. That is all.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me that, tell Vinny Cerrato's parents.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Giant Cerrato Forehead

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Andy still doesn't know that Angela's having an affair with Dwight. And it's been seventeen days. I mean, eventually he'll figure it out, when their kids have giant heads and beet-stained teeth.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

its better than nfl.com for most searches

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Redskins win tonight 50-14 and somewhere Steve Spurrier smiles and says something really cheesy as he recalls that magical night against the Niners in Osaka...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Y'know why he can do that? 'Cause he has a CHEESE TREE!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

. Cheese Tree .

. maps .

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Pitt and WV are big time rivals and hate each other.

Adam Schein @ fox sports is a retard. Please refrain from copying and pasting his garbage.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 13, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Where's the option for "Who cares, it's preseason!"?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | August 13, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Has any one seen TV ads for the product used to get rid of "Monkey Butt"?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah 3 hours and counting. Man I am so ready to see some hitting.

Favorit movie quotes: The program

"Kill em all and let the paramedics sort them out"

"Lets put the women and children to bed and go looking for dinner"

Whoooooo I am so ready I might pull at Terry Tate on one of my co-workers.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 13, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report

Plenty of skins fans at WV. A lot of them are anti pittsburg in general.
Also Owen Schmidt wanted to play at Maryland, sent freidgen tapes of himself.
Not to mention LSU wanted Wildpat to play WR for them, opps.
Cowboys took an undrafted guard from WV Greg Isdaner this year, i was pissed the skins didnt look at him.

Posted by: christopherstewart27 | August 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Where's the option for "Who cares, it's preseason!"?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | August 13, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

It's probably on a more casual poll site, but here at RI, opinions are like buttholes: Everybody's got one, just some stink worse than others.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 13, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, a formidable scent. It's quite pungent. It...it stings the nostrils. [...] Brian, to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, last night... oh, I stayed home for awhile, drank about six bottles of white wine, pissed my pants, so I drove down to Mexico, and shot some stray dogs. You know, pretty much standard Tuesday night.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

What the hell Bro?! Did you just throw a burrito out the window?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

yeah, that long drive from boston to brownsville really fills up the time on a quiet Tuesday

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

All I want tonight is NO Skins injuries and the chance to watch the whole game in peace. (Yeah right)

Just no injuries please.

Posted by: McMetal | August 13, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgundy: (lifting weights) 1001, 1002, 1003.
Veronica Corningstone: Uh, Mr. Burgundy? Helen said that you needed to see me.
Ron Burgundy: Oh, Miss Corningstone. I wasn't expecting company. Just doing my workout. Tuesday's arms and back.
Veronica Corningstone: Well, you asked me to come by, sir.
Ron Burgundy: Oh, did I?
Veronica Corningstone: Yes.
Ron Burgundy: Ohh, it's the deep burn! Oh, it's so deep! Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting, I did over a thousand

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgundy: Um, Brick, before I let you go, are you still having your celebrity golf tournament?
Brick Tamland: Um, no, no... too many people died last year, so we're not gonna do it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on Schein's comments -- in part to annoy Stinkston

regarding Campbell and the grow a pair comment, I see it this way. If Campbell gets aggressive with his throws, the Skins will have a worse record, but it will help Campbell develop as a QB. The #1 issue in deciding games is turnovers and Campbell was the best in football at protecting the football last year. Unfortunately, the time to have Campbell throwing 40+ passes a game was in 2006.

As for the right side of the OL, I agree with Schein. On the WRs, we're probably OK as long as Moss is healthy.

On the defense being better but ranked lower, I'm 1/2 in. I think the defense will be highly ranked and yes, it should force more turnovers and create better field position than in 2008. Better and ranked even higher? Good chance.

On Kelly, Davis and Thomas -- none have given us reason to trust them.

As for Shanahan in 2010 -- my sources tell me that its time to get lunch -- and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Danny lands a coach for 2010 with at least one ring ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

What if the defense really under performs, and our offense becomes a scoring machine?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Les Paul.

Most of you blogging up here wouldn't be able to remember his 15 minutes of fame, but the guy was a genius.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I voted for "Redskins by more than 21." Because I really, really want it to come true. Because the preseason opener means so very, very much.

Hail to 'em, at least to that subset of them who will be taking the field tonight.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 5:08 PM

You're watching the wrong channel.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the algebra is on Campbells side thsi year:

More Campbell aggression = more scoring + more picks + more Redskin D 3 and outs and turnovers = more Redskin wins

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 5:23 PM

Wait, is this an election? Majority rules and all that? Or, in this case, plurality? And if we lose, can we get a recount?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I voted for "It could possibly be nil-nil" in hono(u)r of those who like the soccers.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston
______________________________

Those Redskins play in the parallel universe, and you should call your cable/satellite service provider to fix the glitch...

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I know it's the preseason and all, but I'd expect people to be posting a little more than this due to the 'skins playing a real game in eight months.

'Skins fans, stand up! Where ya at? Game time in about an hour and change -- time to get siced, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I know I am late to this but how you guys leave out Morgan State University Band. The Bears will take out Howard any day of the week twice on Sunday

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Make it out of this game with no major injuries

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Les Paul.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I second that. For anybody that loves the sound of an electric guitar, you should pay your respects...

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 13, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Les Paul.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 13, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Has any one seen TV ads for the product used to get rid of "Monkey Butt"?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

No...but I actually have one of the baseball caps...as does one of my sons.

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 13, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Les Paul.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Posted by: amaranthpa
________________________

Certainly Jimmy Page, Jack White, The Edge, and many many others are raising a glass to him today...

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Guts out, everybody, guts out. Let's do this.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Let's win one for the Gibber.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Less than an hour til the Skins start their march to the championship...

"It's inedible Greaseman, we're going to the Superbowl..." ~ Dexter M

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's win one for the Gibber.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 6:20 PM

I think he would prefer that you buy a book by the Gibber.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I think he would prefer that you buy a book by the Gibber.

Posted by: talent_evaluator
______________________________

I refuse to support that wild Christian lifestyle of his...

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Beginning of the end of the Ravens Season tonight!

Posted by: DoubleUO | August 13, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse