Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 11/29/2010

Texans-Titans fight gets Redskins' attention

By Barry Svrluga

One hot topic in locker rooms around the NFL on Monday was the full-on fight between Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson and Tennessee cornerback Cortland Finnegan during the Texans' 20-0 victory.

"That was a good fight," Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said. "It was reminiscent of some of me and Steve Smith's finest work."

Hall's battles with Smith, the Carolina Panthers wideout, came when Hall played in Atlanta, and he believes it's not unusual for receivers and cornerbacks to have long-standing contentious relationships. Redskins cornerback Phillip Buchanon said he had such battles with "a couple guys" over the course of his career.

"But it never led to a fight, and actually I'm really good friends with them now," Buchanon said. "It's kind of crazy."

Buchanon was a teammate of Johnson's in college, and said he exchanged text messages with the Houston all-pro Sunday night.

"He's still upset," Buchanon said. "But him and Finnegan, they've been going for at least two or three years. That's been an ongoing thing. Sometimes things happen. But Andre, he's a real quiet guy. I was kind of shocked."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 29, 2010; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Washington Redskins, questions at right guard
Next: Mistake let Favre seal the deal Sunday

Comments

Whatever.

Kick his ass, Seabass!

Posted by: RedDMV | November 29, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"If you don't like the team, or you don't want to support us, through the good or the bad, why come out to the games?" -Carlos Rogers
Amen Carlos. Amen. I have been saying this for years. The idiot fans who boo their own teams are the absolute worst. Their either too shallow or too stupid to realize they are hurting their own team.
If you are one of the idiots who booed yesterday, please do not go to any more games.
Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 1:54 PM

Having been around Eagles fans for so long and having been to more than my fair share of Eagles/Redskins games up here in Philly, I would have agreed with you up until this year. I thought booing was childish and completely unsupportive. I understand that they are banged up, have new schemes etc, but there have been individual plays and several play calls that deserved to be boo’d all year and especially yesterday. I wouldn’t have boo’d Moss after his first drop, but when he did it again (and was there even a 3rd drop?) I would have expected the fans to boo, the quarterback to give him a piece of his mind, and the coaches to rip the guy a new one. Riley with a 2nd clip which got a TD called back? Come on……And the playcalling was for nearly 3 qtrs completely absent of any downfield reads. The coaches were scared of the dline and Minny knew it. To my surprise even the announcers noticed that they weren’t throwing ANYTHING over 3 yds. If your playcalling is to sit in a shell and hope for only needing 20 yards to get 3 points all day, you deserve to be boo’d. Period. But I’ll come out cheering as hard as I am capable come next week, as I should.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 29, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

RIPO Leslie Nielsen. He'll Shirley be missed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

No matter what Sweeny and 4-12 tell you.....

The Redskins deserved to be booed that faithful day @ FedEx in Septembe last year against the Rams....That foretold the future of the season: Ineptness. We won that game by default.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I read somwhere on the internet machine that one NFL player said if they pass a collection jar to help Andre Johnson pay his impending fine, he'll have enough left over to buy himself a new sports car.
Apparently fans aren't the only ones who realize Finnegan's a chump.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

How the f can Frank Drebin die?

Damn that Nordberg!

Posted by: RedDMV | November 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

MeAngelo being me, me...

Posted by: hessone | November 29, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Nick Mangold (Jets) was a first round center and started as a rookie (and has been a stud). Markice Pouncey (Steelers) was a first round center and has since become the starting (rookie) center. I figure that the difference between a center and a guard isn't huge, but PersonalFowl will oblige us with a correction of me on that.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 2:08 PM |

I don't have to - you just proved my (and most everyone here) points for me.

You just compared the Skins needs to Pittsburgh's and NE's? Seriously? Are you going to stick with that comparison?

I am going to hazard a guess that the Washington Redskins have only a few more personnel issues than the Steelers and Patriots that require more attention in the first round than some stud C or G.

The only linemen that should even be considered over the next 10 years with the 'Skins are going to be left tackles, pass-rushing DE's or DT's.

That's it, that's the list.

Maybe if we have a team full of players like the Steelers or the 'Pats we can fill gaps on our O-Line with a top-tier C or G. That said, get back to me on that in 2015 Norman Einstein.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Nordberg, I think we can save your husband's arm. Where would you like it sent?

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

4-12

Pass the hat this way!

I've written a check out for 17 cents to show my support for Mr. Johnson.

I deducted 83 cents to pay myself for the pain and suffering I endured watching Andre Johnson catch a deep ball over Reed Doughty in Week 2.

I've give more, but mrsmoe has limited my allowance....

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

We won that game by default.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 2:19 PM

Factually, we won that game by field goals.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

2009 Browns first rounder was Alex Mack their current starting center. They also spent their a first on Joe Thomas.

I say we follow this model. They seem to be running the ball very well...

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

is that circus music I hear ? the big top is back in town

Posted by: hessone | November 29, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Personal_Fowl, you might be suprised to see many glaring problems fix themselves if the middle of the offensive line wasn't being hurled at the QB on a regular basis.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

P-Fowl, Mangold is on the Jets, not New England. The year they drafted him, they blew (Mangini's last year). They also picked up D'B Ferguson. Jets didn't use a high pick on a QB till they had a line to protect him. Steeler's line has been on the decline for a while. Its been a near complete rebuild recently (needing to replace Marvel Smith, Kendall Simmons and Alan Faneca).

Going 4-12 behind Samuels (done), Dockery (Bugel thought he didn't put in the effort), Rabach (enough said), Big Mike Williams, and Heyer, maybe OL would have been a thought ... esp. after losing Randy Thomas and Jansen the year before.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 29, 2010 2:36 PM |

You know the old axiom, "The best skill players in the league cannot help you if you cannot block long enough to get them the ball."

That includes RB's by the way.

Funny thing about that, the opposite is also true. So by your rationale, our QB will have all day to hit someone in the feet? There might be a hole big enough to drive a truck through but the RB will mysteriously trip over the blue LOS graphic? There will be a 'parting of the seas' effect enabling an accurate deep throw which is dropped by our best WR or TE who would be backups on top-tier teams?

Dude, I don't know much if you listen to the dooshes in here but I do know this. You build a team from the inside out, not the other way around. If you do the latter, your skill players will be about to go sign somewhere else by the time you shore up the OL. Also, the only measurable benefit you get from a 1st round C that you don't get from a 2nd or 3rd round C is an exponentially higher contract number to swallow.

I'm struggling to understand how you disagree with that.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

you got it D.bag never again just remember
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
it takes a player to shoot a shot.. but it takes a team to win a game
You the one whow said once We didn’t lose.....we just ran out of time, but trust me "There's nothing wrong with being a loser, it just depends on how good you are at it." and last Constipated People Don't give a crap.

Posted by: suliman215 | November 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Knowledgeable fans agree with Carlos, but they don't have tickets to gameday. The fans performance has degraded with every non Jack Kent Cooke year that has passed.

The blowhards on this blog are the serious crybabies, but I can agree that some of the play calling and some of the player gaffes deserve occasional booing.

What is pathetic is know that if the Steelers come to town again, the Pittsburgh fans will outnumber the Washington fans. Now that is an embarrassment.

My last observation for the blog-generation is that your obsession with fantasy sports has killed the games and diluted fan loyalty. I would post that you all suck at coaching and being a GM if I was a blogger.

Posted by: jjredskins | November 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

c. finnegan should be knocked out just for having that gayass hairdo.

Posted by: bhoang888 | November 29, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who condones or encourages fighting in a sport where the intention is not to fight, but to score points is shameful. We got Mike Wise and John Feinstein talking about how Mike Shanahan is a racist, but this is not important to them? What a joke. That fight demonstrates to susceptible it is OK to use violence to deal with ones problems. I guess it is a microcosm of what is really wrong with this country, with being in two "timeless" wars and what not. All of you fools need to stop talking trash and supporting this nonsense because it is a disgrace. Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan should be suspended by the league for the rest of the season. Fining obviously does not work. Andre Johnson should be ashamed of himself, and these refs need to get their head out of their rear and actually watch the game so they can make calls on dirty players for this not to happen in the first place. So disappointing is this whole fight, and the fact that Deangelo Hall always has a quote on this blog is annoying, dude was trucked by Jake Delhomme like a cheap christmas toy made in China. And that, is my two cents, losers.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 29, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

^*susceptible youth

Posted by: BMACattack | November 29, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

BAMA, maybe you should start watching something a little less violent like badmitton. It's football Brah, fights happen get over it. Some people find it entertaining, like basket weaving for you.

The only one that is susceptible is YOU being all bothered and bent out of shape by some stupid skirmish on a football field.

^*Old fart bleeding heart liberal, quit your crying!

Posted by: bhoang888 | November 30, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse