Orakpo is Redskins' lone Pro Bowl rep (updated)

Washington Redskins linebacker-defensive end Brian Orakpo, a dynamic rookie who is perhaps the most obvious core piece of the franchise's future, was named Tuesday night to the Pro Bowl, providing a small bit of solace for a team that has suffered through a disappointing season.

The news, though, means two of the Redskins' best candidates - middle linebacker London Fletcher and defensive end Andre Carter - were not named to their first Pro Bowls.

"I mean, I felt great when I got it," Orakpo said in a conference call with reporters. "I still feel great about it. But when you look back at it, Fletcher, he's done so much for me, I'd trade spots with him anytime because of what he's done for me. ... I'd trade my spot with him any day."

Orakpo, 23, was named to the NFC squad as a reserve outside linebacker behind veterans DeMarcus Ware of Dallas and Lance Briggs of Chicago, who were named the starters in voting by fans, coaches and players. Orakpo leads all rookies with 11 sacks, and with one game remaining, he has an outside chance of matching Jevon Kearse's rookie record of 14, set in 1999 with Tennessee.

"At the end of the day, I'm not an individual guy," Orakpo said. "I'm always a team-oriented type of guy. Team's first before any kind of accolades. ... I was so disappointed about our season, but when you look back at it, the coaches and the fans and everyone really knew what I brought to the table every time I played. It really humbles me."

Orakpo is the only rookie on the NFC team; the AFC team features two rookies: Houston linebacker Brian Cushing and Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd (who is on the injured-reserve list).

Orakpo was the Redskins' first-round draft choice out of the University in Texas in April, the last first-round choice of former executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, who was replaced by Bruce Allen earlier this month. When Allen was introduced at a press conference, he joked about what he liked about the Redskins' core going forward.

"I think it's now a good time to take credit for the Brian Orakpo pick," Allen said. "I think I've done a good job with that."

Orakpo's signature game came Dec. 13 at Oakland, when he recorded four sacks and forced a fumble in the Redskins' most recent win. He is the second Redskins rookie chosen for the team; Tony Green was picked as a kick returner after the 1978 season.

Fletcher, 34, is finishing up the 12th season of an NFL career some people thought would never happened. He occasionally grows tired when writers and analysts emphasize what he doesn't have - at 5-foot-10 and 245 pounds, he lacks the typical size of a middle linebacker - and instead focuses on his results. He leads the Redskins in tackles and has started all 15 games - meaning he hasn't miss any of the 191 games in his carer.

Redskins players will be available at practice Wednesday and will talk about the voting, but Fletcher tweeted his reaction Tuesday night: "Thanks 2 the fans, players, & coaches that voted 4 me. The guys who made it were very deserving. Congrats Rak, greatness is ahead of him."

Carter, 30, also has 11 sacks, his highest total in his four seasons with the Redskins and most since he had a career-best 12.5 in 2002, his second year in the league. Carter has never been named to the Pro Bowl, but he and Orakpo staged a friendly competition throughout the season as their sack totals remained close to each other.

Last year, the Redskins had four Pro Bowlers, all on the offensive side of the ball - offensive tackle Chris Samuels, who made it for the sixth time; tight end Chris Cooley and running back Clinton Portis, both named for the second time; and fullback Mike Sellers, a first-timer. But none of that group had a true chance this time around. Samuels, Cooley and Portis are all on season-ending injured reserve, and Sellers has spent more time as a de facto tight end - helping take Cooley's place as a blocker on the line - than he has coming out of the backfield.

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 29, 2009; 7:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who should be in the Pro Bowl from Redskins?
Next: 'Burgundy & Gold Daily' looks ahead

Comments

Wow, got to feel bad for Fletch. The Susan Lucci of the NFL, but even she eventually got hers. Good for Orakpo though.
How come no one from the offense made it?!

Posted by: ga8085 | December 29, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Ironic that if Orakpo hadn't played LB, much to the chagrin of many Redskin fans, he probably would not have made the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: Jason10 | December 29, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Orakpo. He'll have many more, God willing. I thought that Andre Carter had a shot. Maybe next year for Fletcher.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

No Redskins o-lineman picked, big surprise huh

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least someone from our sorry team made the bowl

Posted by: ocskins | December 29, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher's problem is that he is a great tackling machine on a bad team. He is obviously a great MLB, but its hard to argue against the guys ahead of him - who not only tackle, but make key plays such as INT's and Sacks. Fletch does what this D allows him to - which sucks for him.

Posted by: MadeRED | December 29, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Dang Stephon - maybe next year. SMH

Posted by: MadeRED | December 29, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Awesome to make the Pro Bowl as a rookie on a 4-12 team! And sucks big green ones that London Fletcher was left out again.

Posted by: League-Source | December 29, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED

Fletch is the best we have, but he's exposed routinely in pass coverage.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 29, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

It's an exhibition game and a popularity contest.

I see no valid argument that Orakpo should get the nod and Carter and Fletch not.

Good for Po, I just don’t see him as a pro bowl quality LB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

From the Bog:

My sources tell me London Fletcher has made the 2010 Pro Bowl. Hip Hip for London. Way, way overdue.

My only hope (though it's not going to happen) is that London holds a press conference tomorrow and declares he will never play in this sham joke of all star game, which is based almost entirely on popularity and name recognition and not actual merit.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 29, 2009 5:31 PM |

I don't believe in the power of jinx, but is this guy ever right about anything?

Posted by: mack1 | December 29, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Vinny or Danny Boy can take all the credit in the world for Orakpo.....but that big sucking sound is the pick of D Thomas over D Jackson. The latter being the first player to be selected a starter at two positions.

Pathetic!

Posted by: TheDirtySanchez | December 29, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

how long before Orakpo PB jerseys are available from Redskins.com?

Posted by: zyvo23 | December 29, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic!

Posted by: TheDirtySanchez | December 29, 2009 7:31 PM

DT and FD over Jackson.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember Blache said he was going to heavily lobby for Fletch ?? Just shows the clout that fossil has around the league. They likely took Fletch off the ballot after listening to Blache for about 16 seconds.

Posted by: scoot21 | December 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

This team is just about history. Why piss and moan?

Posted by: periculum | December 29, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo said..."If I could trade it, man, I'd give my spot to him any day," Orakpo said of Fletcher shortly after the announcement.

Kid is special but he may want to give it to Carter instead. He was a bigger snub than Fletch.

Carter lead all DEs in tackles, tackles for loss, had 11 sacks, and 3 FF.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press

It seems highly unlikely that the Vikings would be willing to pay the anticipated $10 million signing bonus to retain unfettered free-agent running back Chester Taylor after the season. The Washington Redskins, considering a season without a salary cap, remain a decent bet for Taylor.

I was thinking this very thought last night watching the game.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

It's an exhibition game and a popularity contest.

Good for Po, I just don’t see him as a pro bowl quality LB.

Posted by: Diesel44

Spot on. Whenever fans and/or media vote, it's meaningless.

Posted by: TheCork | December 29, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

this is absurd and the writers and anyone else who votes on this joke should be tarred and feathered.

if LF59 is not in the Pro Bowl, it is not a "Pro Bowl," it is a total joke.

you may as well call it the Toilet Bowl.

what a terrible injustice and undeserved slap against one of the best LBs in the freeking game. morons.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 29, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher's b**chfest last year is what cost him.

That and the crazy rants of Grandpa Blache yelling from the front porch in his pajamas.

Posted by: peauxsucent | December 29, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

It is an absolute disgrace that Fletcher has never been picked.He was the leading tackler for St.Louis every year including Super Bowl years,he was the leading tackler every year with the Bills and has been our leading tackler since he became a Skin. Correct me if I am wrong but he has never not been the leading tackler since he has been in the NFL.How in the world can he not be picked for one Pro Bowl. AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

Posted by: Modelchip | December 29, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan:
Fletcher's problem is that he is a great tackling machine on a bad team

______________________________
So what was his problem the other 12+ years??

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 29, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

If the voters for the Pro Bowl wanted an exciting game, they could've selected Laron Landry. That would've guaranteed several long pass completions as he bites on yet another double move....

Posted by: randysbailin | December 29, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher had some tough competition with Patrick Willis leading the way...They only take a couple MLB's...

Posted by: BigE44 | December 29, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Next year will be better! The 'Skins will be at or near the top of the NFC and these three will lead a large 'Skins contingent to the Pro Bowl! Next year is the Year of the Redskins in the Chinese Calendar, so we'll be poppin', baby! Haynesworth, Hall, Fletcher, Orakpo, and Carter will be there from the defense! From the offense, look for Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, Chris Cooley, an O Lineman that we get in free agency, and Jason Campbell!

Posted by: OptimisticOne | December 29, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I really like Brian Orakpo, and I think that he is going to be a very good player for a very long time, but his performance this year (particularly as a linebacker) did not merit Pro Bowl selection. London Fletcher has for many years merited selection and this year I think he would actually have been picked if the Redskins had been a playoff team, or even a team in the playoff hunt. But not many players on a 4-11 team will ever be picked at a position where there are a lot of good players on good teams.

Posted by: nrjlh | December 29, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

It's a popularity contest. But if I had to be objective and quantify this alleged outrage…this is why Fletch didn't make it.

1. Skins are 4-11.
2. Willis is easily the best MLB in the game. (1 spot gone)
3. Beason is having a better season (bigger snub than Fletch)
4. Vilma is on a team that is 13-2 and having a better season.
5. Rudd, Lofton, & Laurninaitis, are having similar seasons.

So there you have it. Fletch is on a team that is 4-11 and has been the 4th-8th best MLB in the NFC this season. Only 2 MLBs make it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OptimisticOne | December 29, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you 100-1 odds that not half of this rubbish comes true.

Posted by: gdennie | December 29, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't read Boswell's latest masterpiece. Do it now. This is my favorite paragraph from the accurate and well written column.

“Pick your poison: the Redskins are physically, mentally or psychologically slack in every area from unfocused players who execute poorly to a New Age head coach who tolerates atrocious performances against bad teams without a ruffled feather to a front office that, in the Vinny Cerrato-Dan Snyder days, showed all the impulse control and even-keeled temper of kindergarteners.”

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I think you need to take Opti-One for what he is...a breath of fresh smoke where the SJK. It would be impressive for one team to send two TEs to the Pro Bowl though. I bet that has never happened.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you 100-1 odds that not half of this rubbish comes true.

Posted by: gdennie | December 29, 2009 8:43 PM

If you want to live your life immersed in your own negativity, that's your prerogative! But if you'd try to think more positively it would bring added happiness to you and your loved ones! HTTR!

Posted by: OptimisticOne | December 29, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

For those who think that the Skins did comply w/the Rooney rule:

Posted by: Skins930 | December 29, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

But they'd have to expand the Pro Bowl rosters to essentially, well, everyone, before any team sends JC17.

JC would start over...

Stafford
Dieter Brock (or whoever the Rams have now)
Hasselbeck (I honestly believe it has come to that)
Josh Freeman, Matt Moore, and Alex Smith (call it a dead heat but these guys all show promise).

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher has a Super Bowl ring...he don't need no stinking Pro Bowl!!!

I think Quinton Ganther was snubbed!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 29, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OptimisticOne | December 29, 2009 9:22 PM

So you go from never posting to 15-20 in one day.

I hope you continue your reign of positivity, your posts have become a must read for me.

I know who you are though, I called you on it a couple of hours ago. I like your new character and I hope you never return to your old act.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

London Fletcher's reaction, via Twitter:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Fletch couldn't be on a less deserving team, it would seem.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 29, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

OptimisticOne-

I am also immersed in positivity. Daniel Snyder hired a real General Manager and fired Vinny Cerrato, something that many thought he wouldn't do. I will be as patient with the Skins as possible as we rebuild.

This season was the culmination of 10 years of mismanagement. It's nowhere but up from here.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 29, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

He is a smelly pirate hooker. Hey! Why don't you go back to your home on wh*re island! (okay, a little late to the RB party, but can't resist, so many good lines...)

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 29, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 29, 2009 9:48 PM

It's so damn hot...Milk was a bad choice.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The Miami Hurricanes smell like a diaper full of Indian food.

This line actually diminished my taste for Indian food. That's a good line.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I took the liberty of bleeding over into Anchorman. Sorry, it's all the concussions.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scoot21 | December 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The moment Blache broke his media silence to do a tap-dance routine for his very good close friend "Mr. Snyder", he lost all credibility.

I think that seriously factored in to the Pro Bowl voting.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The Miami Hurricanes smell like a diaper full of Indian food.

This line actually diminished my taste for Indian food. That's a good line.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

ya, they're like a turd covered in burnt hair. Worse than the time a racoon got stuck in the copier...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 29, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

TELL ORAKPO TO RECRUIT NICK COLLINS!!!

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 29, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Obviously records don't mean that much, because the Bengals didn't have anyone selected.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 29, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

TELL ORAKPO TO RECRUIT NICK COLLINS!!!

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 29, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2009 10:02 PM

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Rak, skins season starts in 5 days...nite all.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 29, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

The NFL doesn't make any sense- Orakpo got his sacks notoriety lining up as defensive end, as did Demarcus...Fletcher completely ignored his entire career, now that sh*t makes me want to fill a water pistol with india ink and trash some NFL jerseys at the mall,,,,,,,,f***'em..

Posted by: frak | December 29, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of "not fair" JASON. How about no justice in the world. So FLETCH doesn't get the votes, I don't watch, and are you reading this NFL, I boycott all PRO-BOWL advertisers for the rest of 2010.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

TELL ORAKPO TO RECRUIT NICK COLLINS!!!

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 29, 2009 10:06 PM

Unfortunately, from what I can tell Collins is a RFA in an uncapped year and most likely will be tendered. From what I can see the FS free agents are going to be sh!ty in an uncapped year, so the Skins will have to get their FS in the draft most likely.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

We don't need a new FS.

We need to trade the poser that they've been starting for us at FS and let any other number of guys on our roster play FS.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'um ATLredskin. Did you like my FA picks for 2010? BRUCE.........Oh, BRUCE,

NICK COLLINS
DUNTA ROBINSON
KARLOS DANSBY
BARRY COFIELD
DONALD PENN

BTW ATL, I blog with O'BRIEN on the BRAVES year around.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

p1funk I think the only true FS onthe team is Moore. Moore should improve with more playing time. The others are SS.

PFT is report Clausen selected Gary Wichard as his agent. That's the same agent who got the deal for Jason Taylor with the Skins.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:43 PM

I mean this in the best possible way. Bro, you are a freaking piece of work.

I’d bet you say F’ ing A and dang several times a day. If I was collecting a good ole boys of RI, you would make the cut.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 10:47 PM

Good news is that he will be off the board when we make our pick at 5th or 6th.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

TWISI:

COLLINS is scheduled to become a UFA in March unless an unsigned cap agreement throws a monkey-wrench into things. With his contract dispute in GREEN BAY as history, throwing money his way ala DAN SNYDER-style should land him in D.C.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:43 PM

I mean this in the best possible way. Bro, you are a freaking piece of work.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

DIESEL44:

What up dude? A piece of work? How so, and you got me on the RI ole boys......?????

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

glawrence007 the uncapped year would put a kabosh on your FA list. Collins, Robinson, Cofield, Penn would all be RFA.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Moore should get more PT at FS. Doughty can step in some at FS. Lendy Holmes looks like he can develop at FS. Maybe Smoot can complete the shift toward FS.

There's alot of potential options in play for the FS position.

We really don't need to look outside the team at that position.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

So everybody becomes a RFA in that event?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

p1funk I forgot about Holmes. I agree that Moore needs more playtime. He wasn't getting it with Blache. The only issue I have with Smoot is that he's a really bad tackler. I get flashbacks of Stanley Richards.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

DIESEL$$:

Everytime I see your handle, I'm thinking of my truck. Yee haw. F***A.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Is Smoot any worse a tackler than the guy they have back there now??

At least Smoot can cover better...

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

After the last few shellackings and a loss to Detroit earlier in the season...not one single veteran will make the Pro Bowl. You have to muster up enough uumph to whoop Detroit. Otherwise you are all out. Only a rookie gets a pass on a Detroit loss.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | December 29, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

So everybody becomes a RFA in that event?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 11:00 PM

They won't have6 years of experience in the NFL.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Is Smoot any worse a tackler than the guy they have back there now??

At least Smoot can cover better...

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2009 11:04 PM

That's a really good point. I can't argue against it.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 10:55 PM

I said I meant it in the best possible way. Good Ole boy, not old.

Your perseverance in looking forward and not at the debacle of 2009 is refreshing. You continually repeat your vision of the future and always do your due diligence in your FA and draft selections before posting.

Everybody has a picture of the RI bloggers and mine of you is a good ole boy. Meaning you're someone I could drink a beer with.

I like beer and good conversation.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

DIESEL$$:

Everytime I see your handle, I'm thinking of my truck. Yee haw. F***A.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 11:02 PM

Just gotta get you to take down the gun rack and confederate flag license plate holder. *sarcasm*

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

It seems like Fletcher could get 300 tackles on a 16-0 team and still not make it, much less 150 tackles on a 4-11 team. And even with as much of a pain in the a** as he's been lately, does anyone think Orakpo and Carter would have half their sacks without Haynesworth? Fat Albert should be in there (hey hey hey!).

Posted by: VAbeachbum | December 29, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller AND a new Offensive Line!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 29, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and Orakpo were huge additions to this defense, VAbb, no doubt about that... too bad our area of primary need was on the other side of the ball.

Still depressed that a 14-0 deficit at halftime, playing at home, felt like an insurmountable lead. What a terrible, terrible offense. There is perhaps nothing more frustrating for a football fan than watching a team that simply cannot score.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the redskins could score if they were performing in a porno flick.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 30, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Heh... well said, Kaneohe.

I'm watching "Bad Day at Black Rock" and only fifteen minutes in it already kicks ass... John Sturges directing Spencer Tracy, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin, Colt Brennan's great-grampa Walter... awesome.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 30, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Sounds good Nate, enjoy.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 30, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

It is a disgrace. I can't believe Campbell was not selected to the first team on the pro-bowl. Is there a better QB? No way.

Posted by: hock1 | December 30, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how LL did not make the Pro Bowl. He was an all pro for every team the Skins played this year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 30, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Florio still pimping Bradford to skins

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 30, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

WHAT ABOUT MARCUS MCNEIL OF THE CHARGERS. I HEARD HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR ???

- I type in caps, because I hate writing posts where there are alot of people posting so I need to scream when I want to be noticed, I will also repeat myself...

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 30, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 30, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey, ATL -- are you really Cerrato still trying to have a voice? Get an O-line, then we can think about D. LL will do fine at FS when he stops trying to make the big hit every single play instead of covering receivers and wrapping up on tackles.

Posted by: VAbeachbum | December 30, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to 'Rak for making the Pro-Bowl...hopefully the first of many to come. It sure would be nice to see London Fletcher get just one trip there; hopefully he'll have a year where he gets a couple picks and a few sacks to make it happen.

I just want 2009 to be over. I REALLY need 2010 to be better...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 5:26 AM | Report abuse

I guess Fletcher needs to kill someone to get to the pro-bowl.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse

I guess Fletcher needs to kill someone to get to the pro-bowl.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 6:09 AM

That would actually have an opposite effect, but I like your enthusiasm.

To have a legit shot at the Pro-Bowl, London needs to have a year when he gets a few "impact" plays, the kind of year where he gets like 3 INTs and 6 sacks on top of his typical high tackle totals. The book on Fletch is that he's a tackle machine who doesn't make enough big plays. Unfortunately, while that fits what we do, that doesn't generate enough headlines to get you to the Pro-Bowl.

Besides, with guys like Jon Beason and Patrick Willis in the NFC, London would need one or both of those guys to get hurt for him to get in. Sad but true.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

I guess Fletcher needs to kill someone to get to the pro-bowl.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 6:09 AM

That would actually have an opposite effect, but I like your enthusiasm.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 6:27 AM

He nearly did kill someone Sunday night with that blow to the head that they showed a couple of times and commented "Fletcher should have drawn a flag on that one. That guy's lucky he can still walk. Blah, blah, blah."

The broadcasters couldn't figure out which way to go with it. Traditionally, they praise a guy for taking someone's head off, but lately they have been concerned with long-term brain damage, etc. Puts 'em in an awkward position. I predict that, within a few years, players will be ejected and fined after a hit like Fletcher's.

Posted by: League-Source | December 30, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Sometime in the future there won't be any tackling at all. Oh wait, D Hall & LL are already there.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 6:40 AM

Now, now...it's not that those guys don't tackle; it's that DHall waits until the ballcarrier already has the 1st down and LL waits until the guy is out of bounds.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 6:40 AM

Good one, '65. Landry didn't even try his missed-big-hit move on Whitten -- just ran along behind him yelling at him: "Slow down. I'm gonna gitcha. Come back and take your medicine. You gonna pay. ..." All the way to the two yard line. Whitten was running for his life he was so scared.

Posted by: League-Source | December 30, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

I guess Fletcher needs to kill someone to get to the pro-bowl.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 6:09 AM

That would actually have an opposite effect, but I like your enthusiasm.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 6:27 AM

Actually, he may have to kill multiple people in order to make it. Seems to have worked out for our neighbors in Baltimore just fine.

Posted by: CecIVC | December 30, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

carter should have made it.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | December 30, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I guess Fletcher needs to kill someone to get to the pro-bowl.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 6:09 AM

Yea it didnt stop ray lewis...

F&*^ BLOWMORE

Posted by: SkinsEmAll | December 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Maybe London should have celebrated more after knocking out both Byron Westbrook and DeSean Jackson out with concussions.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 30, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse