Orakpo Pulling Double Duty

First-round draft pick Brian Orakpo has double the workload of most of the players at the Redskins' offseason workouts. In running situations, he's a linebacker who must be prepared to drop back into pass coverage. In passing situations, he's a defensive end whose goal is to get to the quarterback.

Does that mean he has to learn twice as much?

"You really do," Orakpo said. "I didn't think it would be as hard, but it is kind of challenging. Say for instance they get a first down, now my mind got to switch over to linebacker and read the pass coverages. It's just, you have to really learn both, be really mentally prepared and also physically as well."

Orakpo, taken with the 13th selection in the April draft out of the University of Texas, said he's further along than he was at the team's mini-camp earlier this spring.

"I'm really feeling a lot more comfortable, a lot more fluid with what I'm doing, getting the plays down, getting the coverages down, and also getting my pass rush on," he said. "I think everything is going in order as the coaches and as I expected."

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 3, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall On Vick, Skins, Punt Returning
Next: Rogers: Secondary Will Be Okay Without Springs

Comments

First!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: thor2 | June 3, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

moe, agreed 1000% with your post, except for the yanks/dodgers

Magic in 7, if not fewer, Serena Williams made me want to watch tennis for the first time WOW, just WOW, and bbq=good.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"GM still won't be able to sell cars as there are too many good used ones around for folks to buy"

Yup, they're called Toyota's.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I am all for going after Free Agents. but I think the Cap issues would be better solved if we went with a draft heavy strategy. The team is slowly getting better about that. I just did the math based off the 85 man roster that is on NFL.com. 52 of the players on our roster are guys either drafted by the skins or signed as rookie free agents, 33 of the players are guys we signed as free agents.
Posted by: alex35332 | June 3, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh and:
First!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: thor2 | June 3, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

THATS WHAT SHEE SAID!

Posted by: alex35332 | June 3, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,
How is your post at all relevant to the post about Orakpo?

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | June 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hold on because the poster on the blogger is a pro
THE TRUTH IS BACK
duh duh duh duh duh duhhh
Submit your chickenloving POSTS UP
THE TRUTH IS BACK
duh duh duh duh duh duhhhhhh

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

rig, its not, I was responding to moe...what seems to be the problem??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse"

Of this post, there's a couple I would change. Obviously you already caught the Hunter Smith signing.

After that, I'd move the "losing Evans" to a separate 'null and void' category, if you couple that with signing Daniels and Wynn. Or you can say losing Evans was bad, while signing Daniels and Wynn was good. In the end, the net loss is essentially zero. We lost a minimal pass-rusher and solid run-stopper, we gained two minimal pass-rushers and 2 solid run-stoppers. No harm done.

I'd also boost Haynesworth to an "A" grade, without a doubt. Regardless of what the mind-boggling $100 million figure projects into your mind, his cap hit is not that significant. In fact, it's right around what Jason Taylor would have cost for this, and last, season. And the FO signed him knowing full well that he doesn't play 16 games, as did every other FO in the league, yet many STILL valued him that high. There's a reason. Haynesworth is not Shawn Springs (who is still very good). When he plays, he changes the game. Significantly.

Hall? A little expensive, yes. His grade is about right, though he has the potential to move up (or down).

Personnel-wise, this was Snyder's best offseason ever, IMO. Youth movement, significant upgrade along the defensive line, multiple options brought in along the offensive line (though no draft picks spent being a major drawback), and plenty of re-structuring that allows the team to save cap space this year AND get rid of aging veterans sooner than they would have been able to before.

The real x-factor was the mind games with Campbell. Many QBs would have (or will) collapsed with that type of uncertainty. Luckily, Campbell seems to be handling it very well, using it as motivation. We'll see how it ends up, so that could either be a really good thing, or a really bad thing.

In the end, I'd pretty much agree with the overall assessment. B/B+

Posted by: psps23 | June 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

On the Campbell front. Yeah, the FO deserves an 'F' for that Cutler/Sanchez garbage. My comments said grade 'C' of worse and that was bad stuff.

Still, Campbell has to be mentally strong enough to not let it eat at him -- so it can't be that big an issue. The bigger issue, where Campbell did get thrown under the bus by the FO, was by not giving him an OL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"....To be a full-time returner, I think we got a pretty good one in Randle El already," DeAngelo Hall said.

DeAngelo Hall claiming Randle El is a good punt returner?

He must be full of Hokie.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

He said what he had to say. What should his response have been?

"Yeah I plan on taking over full-time return duties 'cause everyone knows ARE sucks."

I'm actually glad he gave the "correct" PC answer. It shows that he's grown up some and is more aware of his teammates instead of being selfish MeAngelo.

Posted by: p1funk | June 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope this hybrid mode they are grooming Orakpo for works out.

I applaud the FO and the coaching staff for a) having the vision to see that its possible and b) having the stones to go for it. They are attempting to solve two off season problems with one 1st round draft pick.

If it doesn't work out, I am sure the 20/20 hind sighters will be in full slam mode.

Whats his face on the espn NFC east blog is already taking shots at the plan every time he gets a cahnce. Of course he is a baylor fag and an ex dallas beat guy, so its some what expected that he would think it was dumb.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Both Williams sisters lost.

Magic in six---but if it goes seven then I'd bet on Kobe not losing a game 7 at home.

Boxing-yep
Clippers--yep
GM--yep
BBQ-yum
Yankees--In Atlanta, you don't want to know what I think about the Yankees.

Posted by: will_ga | June 3, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

rig, must be a Laker fan, or a hater of casual convo aka sh*t shootin'.

bean, the problem is that you have the "Magic in 7, if not fewer".

He-he, ha-ha...

Are you serious? Spoken like a true C's fan through and through -- I can't even hate on that prediction considering the source.

Are you spiking your chowder with some sort of mind altering substance?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 3, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

hey RED shut the heck up you stinkin' INGRATE

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 3, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo... Don Bank's has us at 23rd for team of the decade! I thought we'd be lower, say 26 or so.

Posted by: will_ga | June 3, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

On Orakpo, I'm not a big fan of this hybrid thing, but I do think its worth figuring out if he'll be a better player as an LB or a DE. If we figure that out in 2009 and let him develop at his best position, it will have been time well spent.

Just my quick take based on the Orakpo highlight video. He's got enough speed to be an LB and I didn't see anything that said he's strong enough to be a good DE in the NFL. But I don't trust highlight videos all that much ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 3, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I think they got rid of Arch after his first season here,and LLoyd after year two.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 3, 2009 3:02 PM

Arch still hit them for more than $4 mil dead cap.
Oh, and lest we forget lloyd, he's $5.33 mil dead on THIS year's cap (sorry to bring up this year...I know we're not supposed to talk about such old stuff up here). Think they'd have to do the cap song-and-dance they did with Moss-to-cut-Jansen without that nonsense?

But, Woo-Hoo man! Stay excited about their ability to manipulate the cap, and collect those shiny "cap manipulator championship" trophies for the display in Ashburn.

[Cork-esque rant now completed]

Posted by: 4-12 | June 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Blows my mind how we morun the departure of marginal (at best) players.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 3, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The issue isn't mourning the loss of marginal players (though the argument can be made that Evans was our best lineman last year, which does not make him marginal).

The issue is mourning the back-asswards thinking/planning of our FO.

Evans was a team guy, a hard worker, and arguably our best lineman last year. He knew our system, got along with the coaches/players, wasn't high maintenance. We did not have to throw Hayneworth $$ at him; he could have been re-signed for 1-2 million (like what he got in SF).

Like I said, Blache has since explained that the plan is to move Lorenzo Alexander into Evans' role. At this stage I'm willing to give Blache the benefit of the doubt, but at the time that Evans walked without even getting an offer tendered, it made no sense.

Posted by: p1funk | June 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

As far as the grades on the Redskins offseason, I think you also have to look back the prior season to the second round draft pick they gave up for Taylor. That pick hurt this year because there were some pretty good interior offensive linemen available in the second round. To add to that bitter taste, the Dolphins got Taylor back. For that reason, the shenanigans with Campbell, and some head scratching late round draft picks, I give the Redskins offseason a "C". I would be inclined to grade them up to a "B minus" if Mike Williams pans out, but as long as he is a prime candidate for a hood ornament, I'm sticking with a "C".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

By Barry Svrluga
--------------------------------------

I see no one came to him 1st to tell him to lower the bar. Now, I expect him to hit the ground running when we go to the MEadowlands and lose (due to the curse).....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we platoon the punt returners between Hall, Moss and ARE? Mix it up a little for the other team's coverage units...

Posted by: edvar | June 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

red, If Dwight brings his big-boy pants to this series like he did the last one, then I can't see Pau, or Bynum stopping him, which in turn opens up the outside game...that being said, none of this is related to the above post, so what the heck is wrong with us??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Also some more fun facts our average hight is over 6'6" average weight 247 lbs and 4.24 years experience.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Blows my mind how we morun the departure of marginal (at best) players.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 3, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Good job on the decipher...he had me ready to look up "morun". I thought I was going to learn my new word for the day...I guess i will have to keep looking.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Lakers in five. No Jameer spells doom for Magic. He killed the Lakers this season with his penetration and 3pt shooting and both games were tight. Lakers match up with Magic much better than Cleveland did and Orlando has no answer for Jack Bauer.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 3, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Jameer Nelson will play in the series...book it

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The outcome of this series will hinge on the behavior of the zebras.

Given that Nike already had one of its MVPuppets knocked out, I'm sure that David Stern got a good tongue-lashing from a Nike exec and the pressure is now on to see the Lakers (read: Kobe) win.

That having been said, if the zebras are on good behavior, I can definitely see the Magic winning. I can see Superman getting hot and totally demoralizing Pau, Bynum, Odom or any other body they want to throw at them. Hedo is not going to be intimidated and surely has an axe to grind after getting busted by the Lakers all those years he was in Sacto. All Rashard Lewis has to do is hit 3s.

The problem is if Superman gets into foul trouble and the Magic can't limit Kobe to mostly outside jumpers.

Posted by: p1funk | June 3, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I thought I heard today, that Nelson practiced with the team?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"...what the heck is wrong with us??" Not a thing. Which is more compelling, Mike Williams weight or the NBA finals? I know there's NBA blogs but none of them have entertainment like Moe & Truth.

FWIW, if the Lakers had anybody as physical as Kendrick Perkins this series would be over in 4. But they don't.

Posted by: will_ga | June 3, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Nelson playing. The GM has said no. Even IF he plays, he won't be nearly as effective or play many minutes. He had not been playing any ball or practicing until yesterday. He wasn't projected to return until next preseason.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 3, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I just read Nelson practiced. But Van Gundy and Nelson aren't as optomistic as his teamates.

I sy he plays, but plays ineffectively. And I doubt he'll play in game 1 or 2, which gives him an extra week to get back into form.

LAkers in 5/6......

Next year, Wizards take it all....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 3, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

will, agreed. Perk pushed DH around, and didn't let him set up shop down low on the block, thats the key with limiting DH. He's underdeveloped as far as his offensive moves are concerned, no jumper, no drop step, no fade-away, no hook, or baby-hook. Move him out, and make him face up to the hoop...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

BOOK IT!

...sorry I yelled

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the GM reniged on his earlier statement saying he realized how close they are to a championship and the healing process is 2 months ahead of schedule.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, I echo your sentiments on Evans. I would have liked to see him back this year. I think it will be intriguing to see the rotation that the Redskins will be using this year. Outside of Haynesworth, I think they have mostly second tier defensive linemen, but they have a bunch. They should be able to keep everyone fresh and with guys like Orakpo and Wilson in the hybrid mix, Blache has the ability to really confuse things at the line of scrimmage. I hope Lorenzo Alexander pans out at end because he's another "whatever it takes to win" guy like Evans and I think he flashed some potential last year. I am not so sure where guys like Jackson and Buzzbee are going to sit this year. If they don't step up they might get crowded out.

Has anyone heard anything about Buzzbee, Jackson and this rookie DT Antonio Dixon? Those guys have to step up.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Context, my friend. Context.

Posted by: p1funk | June 3, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I am usually good at context--I just missed the boat on that one (no offense to Cubans wishing to defect to Miami)

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 3, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

No, no and no.

Part of the reason why I did not love the Orakpo pick is b/c we had 3 young "Orakpos" on the roster already in Wilson, Buzbee and Jackson (tweener DE types who could possibly convert to LB).

Posted by: p1funk | June 3, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

4th he said it has made him reassess his position but his answer is still no.

"It's still no in my mind," Smith said, adding that the team will explore the idea even if Nelson doesn't return for Game 1. "There's a very smidgen of a chance he can play."

But again he's not returning to play in a pick up game. You can't just suit and come in an NBA game and dominate after a long layoff. The Lakers are going to beat the Magic anyway. The Lakers are not the Cavs.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 3, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

P1funk, you summed up my view on Evens to a tee....including the faith in Blache and the intrigue about Lo Alexander.....nice work!

Posted by: chrislarry | June 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

While Nelson's being available for limited play could help the Magic on the court, it might negate the benefits by causing Alston to revert back to his emotionally unstable self according to something on espn I read earlier. Maybe Simmons column?

Posted by: will_ga | June 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The series will depend on two players: Andrew Bynum and Rashard Lewis. Why? Because of these two players, neither team can guard the other.

The Lakers are defensively shorthanded because of one player: Pau Gasol. He can't defend Howard 1 v 1 in the post, and he can't defend Rashard Lewis on the perimeter. However, he's way too valuable offensively to leave on the bench for LA. He's going to get his minutes. The question then becomes "who do we pair with Pau"? Do the Lakers go Bynum, and risk Pau on Rashard? Or do the Lakers go with Odom, and risk Gasol on Howard?

I think they go with Bynum. The Lakers can ill-afford to get Gasol in foul trouble (or so they believe). They won't risk him by asking him to defend Howard in the post. And therefore, for Orlando, their x-factor is Rashard Lewis. If he can light up Gasol on the perimeter, LA will be forced to change up.

On the flipside, if LA does decide to go Bynum/Gasol, the dilemma comes for Orlando: where to put Lewis? Do you stick him on the stronger, yet less skilled Bynum? Or the weaker, yet more dangerous Gasol? I'd guess he gets paired up with Bynum. Howard will neutralize Gasol and force LA to become a one-man offense. And we already know a one-man offense doesn't beat Orlando (ask Lebron). LA will counter by relying on Bynum to dominate Lewis (to relieve the pressure from Kobe). And again, the ex-factor falls on those two. If Bynum steps up his offensive game, Orlando may have to go with a Howard/Gortat combo, or a back-and-forth offensive assault between Lewis and Bynum. If not, Orlando will survive with Lewis defending an offensively inept big man (as he did in the Cleveland series), and LA may be forced to switch Bynum for Odom.

And again, LA doesn't want that. They don't want Gasol lined up on Howard. Too much risk for foul trouble, too much energy expended on defense, and it throws off their gameplan.

So to me it becomes this: who do you trust more, Rashard Lewis or Andrew Bynum?

I say Lewis. And I say Orlando. In 5 (boldly). Book it.

Posted by: psps23 | June 3, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

As much as I believe it would have been better for the Skins to use the 1st pick on the OL, I think taking Orakapo as a solid choice. DE and SSLB were also to areas of need, and he has the potential to excell at both. I also think it is smart for the coaches to have him focusing at learning the LB position first. Daniels and Wynn should be able to hold down the fort at DE until Orakapo is up to full speed at both positions. Making him the the best LB possible first and then easing him into the DE role is a good plan in my books.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 3, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, on Orakpo's video, there are only 3 run plays. One is a misdirection where he's waiting for the RB -- its the first play on the video.

The other two puzzled me. Both come around 2:15 into it. In both plays, he gets blocked effectively. First by a tight end, then by a pulling guard. Both times, he's pushed around a bunch.

Most of the rest of the video is Orakpo succeeding because of his speed. If this video is representative (and I'm not saying it is -- I don't know) I think the LB idea makes sense.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 3, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse