Orakpo 'Relieved' He Can Focus on Football

Brian Orakpo made his official debut with the Washington Redskins just a few hours ago after missing the first day of training camp because of a contract holdout.

The former University of Texas defensive end was signed late Thursday night to a five-year deal worth $20 million with $12.1 million guaranteed, a league source said, and Orakpo flew in Friday morning in time to attend the first practice - though he did not participate.

"I'm very, very happy but mostly relieved," Orakpo said. "Got it done. I'm not a guy, I don't like missing workouts, I know my teammates are out there working, I don't like missing it. But there is always a business side to this whole deal so [I'm] very excited that it's been done quick and I was able to get out here."

Orakpo, who is celebrating his 23rd birthday today, was held out of practice this morning -- he watched on the sidelines -- partly because he had to "do all of the due diligence," Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said.

He will take part in the afternoon practice, Zorn said.

Orakpo is transitioning to a new position - he will primarily be used at strong side linebacker and rush the passer as an end in nickel and dime packages - and defensive coordinator Greg Blache said Thursday that it was critical for the rookie to be in camp getting snaps as he prepared to make that move.

Blache did not mince words when discussing Orakpo's holdout, saying, "When a guy holds out, it doesn't help him; it doesn't help the football team. The only person it benefits is the agent, so he can recruit people next year. What they're fighting about right now [in contract talks], Orakpo couldn't explain it to you in 20 years probably."

Orakpo said his coach's comments didn't accelerate the contract talks but acknowledged Blache's strong words.

"That's Coach Blache for you, he'll tell you [himself], if I'm not here other guys are getting reps," Orakpo said. "But you know he's not a guy to hold his tongue and that's one thing I respect. So we talked, he was laughing and he was happy I was out here and everybody can just keep this thing going."

Orakpo said he was out for a birthday dinner with his fiancée late last night at a sushi restaurant when he got the call from his agent letting him know that the deal was done.

Asked if he left a bigger tip, Orakpo shrugged.

"I don't know," he said. "She's the one that paid for it."

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 31, 2009; 11:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato: Much Is Given to, Expected of Orakpo
Next: Random Observations at Redskins Park

Comments

Cheers to the FIRST of many sacks this season by #98.

Posted by: RambleOn | July 31, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

You have a left tackle who coming back from knee and bicep surgery. The right guard had neck surgery.The left tackle is unproven and Bridges and Williams are huge question marks.

They should sign Vick because they need a quarteback to replace Campbell when he gets hurt who can run for his life.

Posted by: ayala1 | July 31, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

That's an old rookie.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 31, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

""I don't know," he said. "She's the one that paid for it."

Let me be the first to say nice!

Posted by: rickmort | July 31, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Mike Florio on Antonio Pierece:

Though Pierce arguably was an innocent bystander who merely helped his former teammate after Burress accidentally shot himself, authorities seem to believe that Pierce's effort to help Burress get medical attention included an effort to help Burress avoid legal entanglement.

Otherwise, Pierce wouldn't have assumed possession of the gun and taken it to Plaxico's home in New Jersey.

The problem is that Pierce's actions don't cause most people to think he did anything wrong. But the New York law prohibiting possession of a loaded and unlicensed weapon has no exception for a guy who merely picks up a loaded and unlicensed gun and transports it to another location.

Under the letter of that law, Pierce is technically as guilty as Burress.

-------------------

Isn't Florio's day job attorney?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I have a question.

5 years, at 20 mil is 4 a year, with 12.1 signing which is just over 2 mil a year bonus.

Does this sound like a steal for the #13 pick, or am I just way off base?

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad he's in camp. Not in love with the idea of a guy switching positions but whatever.

Posted by: Gweez | July 31, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

More Signs

On Thursday, a fan hoisted a sign saying "D.C. For Vick," a reference obviously to free agent quarterback Michael Vick.

On Friday, another fan hoised another sign that read "Real Fans Want Campbell."

It was enough to draw Campbell over to the fans and sign autographs after practice.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Damn, a 20 million dollar b-day present, and you still have your girl pay for dinner.

Rakpo is a rookie pimp.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear he "gets" Blache...I for one love the guy. He is a quote machine. Sounds like they should have a solid relationship.

Someone needs to remind this kid he is now a multi-millionaire in the prime of his life...getting married should be the last thing you are thinking about. Get your freak on big fella!

Posted by: McMetal | July 31, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Last years was 5 year 20 mill with 10.795 so sounds about right one way or the other.

Posted by: Gweez | July 31, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Does this sound like a steal for the #13 pick, or am I just way off base?

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 12:25 PM |

You're off base. You can be sure that with Orakpo's agent he's not going to be "a steal." You might be comparing his contract to Landry's and Taylor's to think this is cheap. But, unless this is less than #14 got, it's not a steal.

The sense in which it may be a steal is that everyone was projecting Orakpo as a top 10 guy, so getting him for #13 money is at least a deal.

This is where we miss Jasno. If he were still posting he would explain how the Skins overpaid.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

touche TE;

I did not look at the historical data, but I guess with our free spending ways I figured 30 mil with 20 guaranteed...

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Under the letter of that law, Pierce is technically as guilty as Burress.

-------------------

Isn't Florio's day job attorney?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The Cops should let him off with a slap on the wrist and Goodell should suspend him for the first game of the season. Case closed!

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 12:35 PM

I was surprised at the numbers myself....thought they would be much higher. Sounds like the FO did a good job.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 31, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Why should Pierce get off lighter than Buress? They're both just as guilty as the other... Pierce maybe even more so, 'cause he participated in an obvious cover up attempt, wheras Buress just shot himself like a dumb SJK.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Beeps peeps...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I think the steal is that we got Orakpo at #13. The contract is in line with a #13 pick, but this guy could have easily been a Top 8 pick if those teams had needed a hybrid DL/LB.

So far he seems high-energy and outgoing unlike some of our other recent #1 picks on defense.

Posted by: isnadd | July 31, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Just got signed and he's already big pimpin'.... Sushi? C'mon man. You ain't gonna get up to full-time DE weight eating rice rolls

Posted by: pgugino | July 31, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If my facts are correct, Burress put a loaded gun into the waistband of a pair of sweats that he was wearing, and then went to a public area, thereby endangering anyone who happened to be in the vicinity when the gun accidently discharged. Pierce took hid friend to the hospital, and then returned the gun to Burress' residence. Both appear to be guilty of possession of an unlicenced firearm, but the circumstances surrounding their respective "possessions" are significantly different.

And what was Pierce supposed to do with the gun? Let Burress take it into the hospital? Leave it in his car, where any passer-by could have taken it? Maybe in an ideal world, where everybody obeys the letter of every law, he turns it, and Burress, in to the police. But I have to say that I can understand why he wouldn't want to help a friend and (at that time) a teammate get arrested for a felony that got him kicked off the team, suspended by the NFL, and could result in substantial jail time.

I'm not saying that Pierce should get off scot-free. I am saying that what he apparently did was not as egregious as Burress' actions, and that I don't consider his returning the gun to Burress' house to be a "cover-up."

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 31, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Why are you people talking about NY Giants? Who cares?!?!

Posted by: rmblocher | July 31, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Giants talkers leave!

Posted by: pgugino | July 31, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Ninety eight in the House! Washington has the most excellent supply of whup *ss DEs and DTs. All other NFL teams have inadequate supply of linemans.

Signed

BORAKPO (98)

Posted by: ElYeah | July 31, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Great he's in camp!
Oh don't worry she will be getting diamonds for that meal. LOL

Posted by: shamken | July 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

""I don't know," he said. "She's the one that paid for it."

Let me be the first to say nice!

Posted by: rickmort | July 31, 2009 12:22 PM
* * * *
Did you miss the part where it said she was taking him out for his birthday? Or do you always expect that the man should pay, even when it's a dinner in his honour? That makes you either a 'ho or a throwback to the stultified gender roles of the Victorian era.

And I agree, who the heck are these people talking about the Giants? Take it to New Jersey, dudes, 'cause down here, we're not interested.

Posted by: 7900rmc | July 31, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse