Orakpo's first Pro Bowl is a quiet one

It was a quiet Pro Bowl debut for Redskins rookie Brian Orakpo. His final stats: zeros across the board. Fifteen NFC defensive players registered at least one tackle Sunday. Orakpo wasn't among them.

But there's some explanation in order. The Pro Bowl isn't designed to showcase defenses, as illustrated by the AFC's 41-34 victory Sunday. Basically, each defense must be a 4-3 alignment and there are rules that limit blitzing, coverage formations and just how physical players can be (for example, cornerbacks can't bump-and-run).

By taking away Orakpo's chance to chase the quarterback, the rules essentially neutralize the rookie linebacker's biggest strength.

"It's very hard," Orakpo said after the game. "You just have to rally and hope your D-line puts their hands up and knocks the ball down. It was one of those things, points were being scored. We're playing against some good guys."

Orakpo found himself on the line on occasion but was mostly used in coverage. He often drew the tight end and said his responsibilities weren't too different from what he did during his rookie season in Washington.

The rules didn't affect linebacker London Fletcher quite the same way. With a lot of passes, Fletcher found himself in the middle of several plays. Because nickel and dime packages are illegal, Fletcher and the linebacker corps had big responsibilities.

"They limit what you can do from a coverage standpoint," Fletcher said. "That's tough because you're so limited. As you saw, a lot of passes were being thrown in the game today."

Question of the day

Would you want to see a different look in the Redskins' uniforms? That's the topic of the day in the Redskins Tailgate Zone.

By Rick Maese  |  February 1, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher's first Pro Bowl is a hit
Next: Cooley joins Ochocinco's OCNN news team at Super Bowl

Comments

FIRST to wonder why there's a sudden obsession over the Redskins' uniforms?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Moss is standing in the way of bigger younger players moving into the starting role. Trading him for anything is addition by subtraction.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 9:51 AM

When you use terms like "addition by subtraction", that means the team is WORSE with a guy on the team than they are without him. There is no possible way that is true of Moss.

If you want a youth movement, I think we're all on board with that. But you can't have a COMPLETE youth movement where everybody on the roster is a rookie. You have to have some veteran leadership to go with the youth, and Moss qualifies for that role (at least I haven't heard otherwise). I'm all for dumping big salary, but you've gotta do it responsibly.

And there's nothing responsible about dumping Moss for a 6th round pick. And that's about all you can realistically expect for a 30 year-old WR with chronic hamstring issues.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Move Moss to the slot, where no one can cover him. He would be a terror there.

The problem is, we don't have a true #1 receiver on the roster - even with Moss. Maybe DT down the line, but Kelley doesn't seem to have it. Hoping he comes out of his shell next year.

ARE can go away. That would be fine.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

As I woman, I love fashion. But for the life of me I cannot understand the seeming obsession coming from guys over the Skins uniforms.

I don't care what they wear (they could be naked) as long as they win. I do think they should burn the burgundy on burgundy since the Skins play horrible in that uni.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 1, 2010 10:15 AM

PLEASE!

Hate that combo...

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

as i posted yesterday, mike vick is the skins starting qb next season--the deal is done

Posted by: mohawk44 | February 1, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Move Moss to the slot, where no one can cover him. He would be a terror there.

ARE can go away. That would be fine.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we know if we have a true #1 yet. We haven't tried any of these guys there yet. How do we know Malcolm Kelly isn't a true #1? All we ever do with him is put him in as flanker and send him deep. He's 6'4'' with great hands. I'd like to see what he can do around the first down marker. I bet he'd be a great possesion receiver.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"As I woman, I love fashion. But for the life of me I cannot understand the seeming obsession coming from guys over the Skins' uniforms."

As a man, I like fashionable women.

Undressing a well-dressed woman is kinda like taking down an overloaded Christmas tree.

Like wise, the guys here aren't obsessing over the skins' uniforms.

We obsess over ugly thumbs on fine wimmin, and, above all, taking down trees.

One covering at a time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Technically, if you burn the burgundy on burgundy, you have to wear the white on white by default. Because, you know, the burgundy is burnt.

I want to see less experimenting with the unis and more competitive performance. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mohawk44 | February 1, 2010 10:21 AM

Dude, sell that lunacy elsewhere. Vick played in a WCO in Atlanta to mixed results at best. That's a classic case of jamming a square peg into a round hole.

If you're gonna trade for a Philly QB, make it McNabb or Kolb. Not Vick.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 1, 2010 10:23 AM

Until we know we got one, we ain't got one.

And what did Kelly do to make you think he's a potential #1. He was a starter at the beginning of the season and didn't do much - of course, that could be said about the entire O, but I haven't seen much of anything from him yet. Like I said, I hope he comes out of his shell this year.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I say let the ALL-PRO ROOKIE (first and second votes) team play the rest of the All-PRO ESTABLISHMENT.

Yee-Haw good buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:06 AM
------------------------------------------
What veteran leadership has Moss provided? Please point to an example, because I haven't seen it. He's another one of those "me-first" University of Miami players. Last offseason, who worked with Campbell on their own? It was the young receivers, who could have learned a thing from Moss had he decided to join them, but no, he had a date with his buddies from the "U". Sorry, I don't buy that you keep Moss around for veteran leadership. You keep a guy like London Fletcher around for that. He sets the right example.

Why keep a player - even if they are better than average - if they do not fit the scheme? The team has a young core of Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell. They can build on that. Meanwhile, they have a year when they can dump a big salary without any impact on the cap, so why not get rid of the older, injury prone guy who produced less last season?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I've looked at Moss from both sides now.

From good and bad, and still somehow...

It's Moss' illusions, I recall..

I really don't know Moss at all.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

just wait and see

Posted by: mohawk44 | February 1, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

RSH, Moss doesn't have to go all Ray Lewis to be a veteran leader. A guy who shows up to practice and works hard is giving a good example to the young guys, and until I hear otherwise, I assume he's one of those veteran players. So while I don't have particular examples of him carrying the team on his back (which a WR seldom does anyway), I would be interested to hear what you think makes him a "me-first University of Miami player".

And stop with the "Moss doesn't fit the system" stuff. Eddie Royal had a beast rookie season under Shanny and he's essentially the same type of player Moss is. The difference is Moss doesn't have Brandon Marshall lined up on the other side of him.

Bottom line is this: getting rid of your best WR is dumb if you don't have another guy to replace him. And just throwing Thomas and Kelly into the starting lineup isn't gonna magically make them starting caliber WRs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ryp, that was beautious.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Re: trading Moss...

I bet when Shanny looks at film of Debacle '09, he sees at least 3-4 hundred yards and 3-4 TD's that Moss could have had, sep he was being thrown to by our "QB".

Put him in the slot with an accurate qb and look out.

Posted by: stevek20147 | February 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 10:43 AM
------------------------------------------
Sitting them on the bench while ARE and Moss continue to drop balls is not going to make them starting caliber WR's, either. Moss and ARe should both be gone with the team getting whatever they can for them. There will be another receiver in the mix. Honestly, if anyone in the league thought Moss was a starting-caliber receiver, then why so much noise about Brandon Marshall?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...

Injury-prone?
In 5 years w/ Skins he's missed 4 starts.

Produced less last-season?
He led the team in receptions and yards by a mile.

Doesn't fit the scheme?
I'm sorry, but did Shanny ask you to design the scheme? Is there some reason that he's not going to fit "the scheme" apart from your bald assertion.

Facts and reality aside, you do have a point.

Moss is dead-weight and it's time to cut him. He's a productive and explosive WR for an anemic run-first team that has no 2nd receiver. He faces double- and triple coverages, and still single-handedly wins games for this team.

Who needs guys like that taking up roster spots...especially when they are from the "U"?

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"Sitting them on the bench while ARE and Moss continue to drop balls is not going to make them starting caliber WR's, either"

Are to unemployed
Moss to the slot
Kelly to #2
Thomas to #1

Pretty simple.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Until we know we got one, we ain't got one.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

What's Kelly done? Malcolm catches the ball. He doesn't drop a lot of passes. Him a Mitchell are bigger targets that don't drop the ball. They make a lot more sense as a primary target than Moss. I'm not saying they're Brandon Marshall but I think they are a much better option than Moss in a WCO. Being taller is a tremendous advantage in those short passing situations. They can fight for the ball and are more visible to the QB.

Like I said all they did was send Kelly on deep routes. A lot of good that does when you can't even complete a 3 step drop.

It just seems backwards. The big tall guys should be working around the first down area and Moss should be going deep. Kelly in at split end, Thomas at flanker, and Moss in the slot makes the most sense.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 1, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

????

What kind of non-sequitir is this?

You do realize that football teams start more than 1 wide receiver, right?

And besides, what "noise" are you talking about? Can you identify one report that is not the product of a PFT-esque rumor blog that indicates that the Skins are taking a serious look at Brandon Marshall?

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I've looked at Moss from both sides now.

From good and bad, and still somehow...

It's Moss' illusions, I recall..

I really don't know Moss at all.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 10:38 AM

Better to trade him
For anything I say
Cuz' it's rookie catches
He's taking away

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 10:52 AM

I think Moss has proved many times over that he's definitely a starting-caliber receiver. I mean, he's been a Pro-Bowler for God's sake. But I think the book on Moss is that he's not a #1 receiver. If you put him next to a Brandon Marshall or Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson you'd be surprised how good he could be. But he's not good enough or big enough to consistently get open against double and triple teams. Last time I checked, you don't cut a guy simply because he's not a superstar.

But I'm totally on board with getting rid of ARE. I think the big salary purge this offseason should include him, Randy Thomas, Chris Samuels and Clinton Portis at the very least.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I would bet that shanny will take a WR somewhere in the later rounds. Remember that guy... what's his name..... Brandon Marshall? He was a 4th round pick that a lot of people passed on because of his off the field issues. BTG, i agree with the move of moss to the slot, kelly #2, and DT#1 with a Marko Mitchell and a newly drafted WR from the draft to make the WR squad.

As far as O-line, Shanny is going to look for people familiar with his style of offense or for people who have played under him. He will build a little through the draft, but will also be grabbing a QB to groom in the mid to late rounds, along with RB.

I see the defense being ironed out with FA.
I'm not against a Peppers signing as long as most of his contract is incentive based. I could see him becoming lazy if he is just given the money, but you put it in as an incentive base, he might show up to all the games. K. Dansby would be great to add to the LB corp. You sign C. Rogers to his tender offer and pick up a nickel CB as well. WOuld be nice to find a FS either from draft or from FA.

Posted by: PanteraCFH | February 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 10:59 AM
------------------------------------------
I could find you more but I got tired of cutting and pasting.

www.rototimes.com/nfl/player/6102

Moss is getting starting receiver pay. If he isn't a starting receiver, then why not give that job to someone being paid a lot less who has potential to eventually start?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Let's see:

Moss has averaged 69 catches and over 1000 yards a season with the Skins.

He holds the Redskins single-season record for receiving yards.

He's single-handedly won games for this team.

All this while catching balls from Mark Brunnell, Jason Campbell, and occassionally Todd collins.

All this while playing opposite from Brandon Lloyd, ARE and occassionally some rookie with a bum-knee

But again, when you set aside facts and reality, I see your point.

This is NOT starting-caliber production.

He belongs on the bench buried on a depth chart. In fact I'm surprised he's in the league. And of course, he's from the "U"...

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Moss in the slot, perfect choice IMO. I'm really tird of hearing about Mitchell being a skilled receiver. Where are you people grabbing this information from? We've barely seen this guy play!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 1, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Trade Moss?

For what, or even better why?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

p1, nailed it.....

once you set aside, facts, logic, and reason, it makes PERFECT sense........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I could find you more but I got tired of cutting and pasting.

www.rototimes.com/nfl/player/6102

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure you could spend all day finding rumor after rumor on the blogs about a Marshall trade to DC.

All the "articles" that you cite are not based on any reporting. The authors of those articles have as much inside access/knowledge as I do about whether the Skins are actually looking to get B.Marshall.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree, RSH. My stance on Moss is the same as it has been on Betts and Cartwright and some of the other veteran players some here wanna throw off the team: when there's someone on the roster who can beat them out for their job, get 'em out. But until then, you gotta roll with your best 53.

So when Moss is no longer one of the best 53 or can't stay healthy enough to count on, I'll stand by your side to lead the charge to get him outta here. I promise you that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

This whole post is B.S.

Maske said it the best. Hue Jackson left late in the game and their weren't a whole lot of experinced QB Coaching canidates at that time. So they hired him because he had experince at the position unlike Saunders.

And their were no other real inquires. Those were just his agent getting his name out there.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

that vick rumor came from a source close to vick--i didn't make that sh*t up.
jreid-contact some vick sources and break some news.

Posted by: mohawk44 | February 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

p1, nailed it.....

once you set aside, facts, logic, and reason, it makes PERFECT sense........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

It's about as sensible as the "trade Cooley" talk.

I mean, if I'm Shanny, I'm looking at this offense and saying "we need productive playmakers on offense".

Then I'm going to turn around and trade 2 of my best most consistent veteran Pro-Bowl offensive playmakers to kick-start the process...

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Orakpo's first Pro Bowl is a quiet one"

How did Brian Cushing do in that role??

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

that vick rumor came from a source close to vick--i didn't make that sh*t up.

I've got a PFT post for you on this...you want it??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Let's see:

Moss has averaged 69 catches and over 1000 yards a season with the Skins.

He holds the Redskins single-season record for receiving yards.

He's single-handedly won games for this team.

But again, when you set aside facts and reality, I see your point.

This is NOT starting-caliber production.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 11:14 AM
-----------------------------------------
I won't argue that Moss has been an effective receiver for the Redskins in the past. His stats speak for themselves. This, however, is a what-have-you-done-for-me lately league. Last year he didn't have 1000 yards in receptions. Last year he only had one game with over 100 yards receiving. Last year he only had three touchdowns (tied with Devin Thomas). Last year he fumbled twice. I don't know where to find the stats, but I am sure someone has the stats on the number of drops the guy had and I am sure it was a lot. A team has to know when to pull the plug on a player and it is time for the plug to be pulled on Moss. He's slowing down and when a receiver that primarily relies on speed to be a difference-maker slows down, it is time to move in another direction.

As for receivers on a team, there is one guy that is the primary receiver. He almost never comes off the field. That is what I mean by "starting receiver". In most offenses he is the split end. Some people suggest Moss would be better as a slot receiver, which I don't consider a starting position because it does not exist in every formation. I agree that Moss in his prime would have been an awesome slot receiver. I think that train has already left the station. What would be interesting is a foot race between all of the receivers on the team. I'd bet that Moss is not the fastest. If that's the case, then you are saying that Moss is not good enough for split end, but is good enough for the slot where you want your fastest receiver which he isn't. Does that make sense?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Are to unemployed
Moss to the slot
Kelly to #2
Thomas to #1

Pretty simple.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 10:54 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For me, smartest thing from BTG since he came to Florida and contributed to our economy

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I think you are mixing up straight line speed and "quickness". The slot does not need to be the fastest guy in a straight line race, but he should be the quickest. Look at Welker.........I'm pretty sure he isn't running a 4.2 40.

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

has anyone heard vick say he will play in philly next year?--no.

Posted by: mohawk44 | February 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Bean - you throw in Mitchell in a 4 WR set to stretch the field, that surely opens things up for everybody else. You have to respect a guy that big when he runs a deep route...

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

noone, I mean, if I can make sense of it, then you KNOW its simple....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

has anyone heard vick say he will play in philly next year?--no.

hawk, how many years was the contract that vick signed??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

above all, taking down trees.

One covering at a time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 10:23 AM
==============================
mista moe.. are you working out of your company's branch orifice?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I've got a PFT post for you on this...you want it??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:31 AM

BeantownGreg1 is saying that PFT is reporting "Vick to the Redskins is wrapped up with a handshake and will occur on the first day of trading. The Redskins will get Vick plus Philly's fourth round pick and a dog to be named later. In exchange, the Eagles will get Chris Cooley, the Redskins second round pick in the 2011 draft, and the Redskins have agreed to rename FedEx field 'Washington Animal Rescue Pound' -- WARP Stadium."

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Flying below the radar is a trade that might have already happened, and just needs the ink to dry on the proposal. The Washington Redskins, who are in need of QB help, have agreed to Mike Vick plus Philly's fourth round pick and a dog to be named later. In exchange, the Eagles will get Chris Cooley, the Redskins second round pick in the 2011 draft, and the Redskins have agreed to rename FedEx field 'Washington Animal Rescue Pound"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 1, 2010 11:43 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Beantown -- Sorry to front run you on your own scoop. I feel like those people up here when they post something and then Jason Reid posts the exact same thing six hours later. Jubilant.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

People are really talking about trading or demoting Moss? Two 2nd year receivers have combined for two 100-yard games in their careers and that catapults them to starting-caliber (nevermind that the first one was so bad as a starter that he got pulled midseason), but the one and only consistent WR this team has had (who again led the team in receptions and yards) is not? How can someone even fathom this?

Posted by: psps23 | February 1, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

lol... you bamas are crazy.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:58 AM
------------------------------------------
Rumor has it Vinny was all queued up to make that deal right before he left...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

lol... you bamas are crazy.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 12:04 PM

Hey, speak for yourself. Only one bama up here. You, beantown, and 4th. Okay, three.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Move Moss to the slot, where no one can cover him. He would be a terror there."

He is in the slot at times. Slot's not a position, it's a placement in a formation. Lots of teams move their best receiver into the slot from time to time, to create a mismatch with a DB who isn't used to covering somebody with that sort of speed.

If you did it all the time, of course, you'd lose some of the effectiveness.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | February 1, 2010 12:03 PM

Why do you think we do all this blogging if we can't decide the starters? Look, in the old days guys won their jobs on the field. That's the old days. With the internet, guys win their jobs on Redskins Insider. If you don't come around, then we'll be looking at someone to take your job.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you on the difference in hands, but in pure elusiveness Moss has it. I'm not sold that he is losing it yet either......

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan

++++

How would you know? They haven't thrown anything significant their way yet.

All I was saying is that WE DON"T KNOW about Kelly YET and that he hasn't done enough to prove he is a starter YET. I hope he does. This would be a good time for him to step it up. Beyond that, you're just guessing and making excuses.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 11:58 AM
------------------------------------------

And a dog?! What a scoop. Speaking of which, now that Vinnie's gone who's going to follow the dog around FedEx field?

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

brownwood26 wants "to see less experimenting with the unis and more competitive performance. [He's] sure we can all agree on that."

`
The Annals of Sports Psychology
Winners Wear Red
By Holger Dambeck (distant relative of RotFrau)

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

" think you are mixing up straight line speed and "quickness". The slot does not need to be the fastest guy in a straight line race, but he should be the quickest. Look at Welker.........I'm pretty sure he isn't running a 4.2 40.Posted by: rupertpupkin"
"You're comparing Welker to Moss? Those are two entirely different receivers. Welker catches anything thrown at him - he's a human Hoover - and he runs precise routes. I understand what you are saying about Moss' "shiftiness" or "elusiveness" but those skills are eroding along with the speed, and he doesn't have great hands or precise route running to compensate for the things age is taking away. Posted by: RedSkinHead"

Welker benefits more from Moss' presence than Moss benefits from Welker. That's because Randy 'stretches the field', in hoary old coaches' parlance. One DB can't cover him downfield, which creates room for Wes.

Moss probably isn't as fast as he once was, but he's still most likely the fastest tall receiver in the NFL. At one point, a couple years ago, he was so much better than anyone else that it was almost unfair.

I'm trying to think of a WR who was faster than the young Randy Moss and I'm not coming up with one, other than Bob Hayes, of course, who was faster than anybody. Cliff Branch? But Cliff was something of a smurf. I guess you could count Deion as a part-time WR.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Red, not maroon?

Dammit. I guess that's why both teams in the Super Bowl have red uni's.

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 1, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The problem with your position is that when you compare Moss's production from last year with the rest of the WR corps, he is still far and away the elite receiver of the bunch by a mile.

He didn't have a 1000 yard year last year - Fine. He had 902.

What did the rest of the guys do? What did our precious bunch of young guys do?

I think they had like 300-400 yards receiving (each of them).

Moss had like 70 catches, ARE was second with like 50 catches.

Moss only had one 100-yard game last season. Fine. DThomas has had one 100-yard game in his CAREER.

The relative stats aren't even close when compared to the other receivers. So in a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league, how is it that you dump your far and away best receiver for a couple of under-acheiving soon-to-be 3rd year guys???

Then you didn't even factor in the issues at QB, Oline, play-calling, no run game to open up the passing game, no real solid 2nd receiver - I mean are you seriously going to say Moss was the primary reason for lack of more yardage/TDs last year????

I'm all for giving the younger guys more play. ARE absolutely positively needs to go. And if we had a guy like Larry Fitzgerald waiting in the wings it would be different. But given the actual status of our receiving corps, I just find this Moss talk ridiculous.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It was a quiet Pro Bowl debut for Redskins rookie Brian Orakpo."

Don't put anything into this.

Even the announcers said all of the LB's were "edge" rushers and looked a little lost in coverage.

No blitzing in the Pro Bowl game, so no stats.

London was everywhere, congrats!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The Annals of Sports Psychology
Winners Wear Red
By Holger Dambeck (distant relative of RotFrau)

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 12:19 PM

This is why he calls himself RedDMV, not MaroonDMV.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Sam, we were talking Welker to S. Moss comparison. I was trying to make the point that a slot guy doesn't need to be the fastest......like you said R. Moss is still probably quite a bit faster than Welker (most def now with the knee!)

I also don't get why everyone on here keeps talking about mitchell as a solution at receiver. The guys hasn't even been able to get on the field yet! He might be good, but he also might be terrible.......And please don't say he was great in the 4th quarter of preseason games, that doesn't mean to much

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 1, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Tight end Dallas Clark not only leads the team in dropped passes this season, he's currently in a five-way tie for the most number of drops in the league along with Saints running back Reggie Bush, Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards, Saints wide receiver Devery Henderson and Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss.

source: http://ind.scout.com/2/706647.html

It's tough finding these stats on dropped passes but I ran across this one. This was 2007 and it states that Moss was in a five way tie for most dropped passes. This was a season where Campbell had the time to throw and still Moss was the king of oops.

This article, also from 2007 talks about dropped passes. At that point in the seasson, Moss had dropped 16% of passes thrown to him.

Another statistic: since 2004 Moss' average yards per catch has been dropping each year except 2007-2008 where it stayed the same.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss is fine. (Enter 'Football Know-it-ALL mode') He and Jason need to practice together more. Moss could post deadly yac #'s.

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

These are my last words (fingers crossed) on the whole trade Santana Moss debate:

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

How would you know? They haven't thrown anything significant their way yet.

Posted by: edvar | February 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

No one is going to know until we try. How good was Fred Davis until he got his shot? Moss is too short and drops a lot of passes. Kelly is tall and has good hands. It makes perfect sense.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 1, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

This is why he calls himself RedDMV, not MaroonDMV.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

LoLoL

I was gonna add someting to this, but on second thought; I'd rather not ignite anything..

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

But is anyone making a case that Bush, Henderson, Clark and Edwards aren't difference-makers for their teams?

Over the years, Moss has had no complimentary receiver so he's gonna get the lion's share of the looks. If you get alot of passes thrown your way, then you are gonna have more opportunities to drop them.

Arguing from the standpoint of Moss's drop in production over the years is countered by the fact that the Redskins entire passing game has been on the schnide since 2004. Moss has been the only consistent bright spot in an otherwise atrocious facet of the Skins offense. How have the other receivers in the Skins system fared relative to Moss since 2004? That is the relevant stat.

Even conceding the point that Moss doesn't have hands like Welker, you still need to deal with the reality of the Skins situation.

So we cut Moss and do what? Hand the #1 spot to Devin Thomas? That's an upgrade?

Starting Devin Thomas instead of Moss is seriously going to allay your concerns about WR production?

I just don't get it.

Unless we are planning to make a move for Andre Johnson or roll the dice on Anquan Boldin, I just don't see how cutting Moss helps this team get better.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"...Jubilant..."

See?

This is what offends: elevated vocabulary.

People complain that I offend the Prez, but don't rail against these kind of word nerdy offerings from posters who've obviously mated with their SAT vocab book one too many times.

Even Rotfrau uses simple words like 'stupid' as a phrase like 'insolent star-spangled American drones' would send us all to a dictionary.

Red keeps it lively by using 'oreo' and 'bama' and 'facial' like swords in a verbal gunfight.

But I digress.

When it comes to the words you use in your posts, 'simplify, simplify, simplify...".

I don't remember who said that, but I do know he posted every day for two years while he lived in the woods complaining civilly about the disobedience needed in everyday American life.

The ideas are the things that should be complicated--not feckless verbal pedantry.

So keep things simple.

Don't day 'jubliant' when you mean 'happy'.

It's like saying excessively wordy when someone writes a post that's just too damn long too long.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Vicc, aren't you one of Cork's hoe's, or is that vic_1?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 12:48 PM

Go ahead, Vicc. Live on the wild side. You shouldn't be afraid to tug on Superman's cape.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Moss can still destroy people when the situation is right. I think with a Shanahan running game on the field, and Davis/Cooley out there at the same time alot of things can happen. I'm all for keeping Santana around, especially when there are competent offensive minds coaching him.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

feckless verbal pedantry

Too complicated

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 1, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

As far as Mitchell is concerned, he never got a chance to play. That's not his fault.

Davis looked amazing when he got his shot, and he's a tough dude to tackle.

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly also looked good.

It's all Zorn's fault! And on a sidenote I really wish they would take down that picture of Zorn throwing a football. It's too painful to look at.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 12:54 PM

`
I'd feel more comfortable if I were smoking Kryptonite. Day posting is difficult b/c of the variety and intelligence many day posters exhibit.

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

League-S, don't gas him up...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe = Hemingway
JohnDinHouston = F. Scott Fitzgerald
RedskinHead = Doctor Seuss

Let the jubilation continue...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

just saw skip bayless on espn talk about with passion about how tebow will be a super bowl winning qb in the nfl and compairing his "wonderful" skills to the game against cincinnati....last time i check i didnt know the bearcats had a defense let alone an nfl defense

Posted by: skinsst21 | February 1, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, RedDMV is still an idiot after all these months.

Dude represents the Department of Motor Vehicles. WTF.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 1, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

You don't gotta worry about me 2day ReDMV. I only respond to you when you type uneducated posts.

Like the father you never had, I feel obligated to correct you sometimes. Half the time I agree with you.

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

You probably won't get much for Moss given his age, so I suspect he stays.

He can be the most dangerous player this team has, perhaps the offense's MVP.

But ... he isn't a leader. Two plays from this past season illustrate the problem with Moss.

vs KC, Collis comes in and Moss makes a great catch for about 35 yards. But the replay shows that Moss slowed down in his pattern, then had to accelerate to get to the ball. Its not the first time Moss stopped running in his pattern. If he hadn't stopped, its a TD.

vs nyj, late in the 1st half, inside 2 minutes, Moss makes a catch, in bounds, down 20 points, and spins the ball instead of getting the ball to the ref and lining up for the next play.

To me, Moss is the perfect summary the Zorn era. Way more talent than accomplishment.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"Moss will not be in a Redskins uniform by the time the regular season starts. Book it."

Sure he will.

Most of the time it was who was throwing him the ball. JC over threw him so many times this past season it's rediculous.

Leave him on the outside, he's not a slot receiver. You're not using him best in the slot.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

doh!

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

First off, Moss has such a loaded contract that you probably aren't going to be able to trade him for anything. If that's the case, why cut him until you're sure the younger guys can take over? This is not a case of addition by subtraction. Moss isn't a diva or locker room cancer like Owens and brings veteran leadership to a position that would be extremely young otherwise. I'm all for moving him to the slot, or wherever he would fit best in Shanahan's scheme, but don't just cut him because he didn't have 1000 yards last year. If for some crazy reason we can get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, then you consider it, but otherwise, cut ARE and call it a day with the WRs.

Posted by: DCinSD | February 1, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Leave him on the outside...You're not using him best in the slot."

S Moss says,

"The last time I was told I wasn't using the slot properly, I told the young lady to turn over to let me try it from another direction.

Of course, the effort let me work the middle to where I could hit all the open spaces.

I bet she'll think twice the next time she tells me to go deep."

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

The Moss nit-picking is just unbelievable.

If we'd had a "Santana Moss" at all of our skill positions and at punt-returner we'd be the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0.

With fans that are ready to fault-find a guy like Santana Moss, DC deserves a 4-12 team...

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 1:32 PM

Or how about Portis?

We don't make the playoffs if that dude doesn't rip off 5 straight 100 yd games in '05 and 4 straight 100 yd games in '07.

We don't have superior talent and the damn cynical fans aren't afraid to make matters better by voicing displeasure and creating a harmonic atmosphere *sarcasm*; Kinda like blasting your children for bringing home 'B'--instead of 'A'-- report cards when realistically not every1 can be perfect.

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Cynical Fans:

Filmchis?

"Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.
Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.
Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.
Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.
Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.
Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.
Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.
Mad when we bring in a Big Name.
Mad when we bring in a No Name.
Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.
Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.
You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!
I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!
YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!
GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.

Posted by: filmchis | October 7, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

p1

Moss is not a major problem, but he is not what you are portraying him to be. It may be nitpicking, but running routes short of the marker on third down, drops, and going half speed when things arent going the teams way are things that Moss does too often. It seems as if he has Steve Smith(Panthers) talent but doesnt have his heart. That being said he will probably stick around. But if the skins could get a 3rd or 4th for him, I say do it. If we really want another fast guy named Moss to return punts we could probably get his brother, Sinorice.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what's up with the Cooley Zone? Chris has seemed to just tune out completely. You could almost feel it coming ever since they beat the Rams 9 to 6 and he complained about the Fans Boo-ing... He seemed to kind of punk out on us and complain about us booing... And I will never really forget the BS he said about how its the Fan's Job to Cheer and Cheer Loud! Talk about being all high and mighty.. Wow! Why should would cheer about getting slapped around in our division and going 2-8 at the end of last year and 4-12 this year... That's a complete joke. I wrote him a nice note about that... F-that. Now, I guess he got his feelings hurt again because of the fans talking about how we should trade him for picks, etc...

Posted by: EinVB | February 1, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there will be much of an issue about whether Moss will stay. Still, none of us know what Shanahan is thinking (Moss + 3rd rd pick for Marshall?).

Assuming Moss stays, the real question is whether Shanahan will get him to keep his head in the game.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 1, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The subject in question: Santana Moss

2009 Washington Redskins 16 70 902 12.9 56.4 59T 3 14 4 40 2

2008 Washington Redskins 16 79 1,044 13.2 65.2 67T 6 15 3 50 1

2007 Washington Redskins 14 61 808 13.2 57.7 49 3 11 3 43 1

2006 Washington Redskins 14 55 790 14.4 56.4 68T 6 11 4 36 1

2005 Washington Redskins 16 84 1,483 17.7 92.7 78T 9 24 10 60 2

2005 and 2008 where the 'big' years.

2009, without a healthy C Cooley or productive ARE, he managed a good season in an office where the starting q-back was sacked 43 times and threw for 3,600 yards.

So if you're Shanny, you think, "Is there another 1,000 yards receiving year in Moss?"

Well, no: without another redskin passing threat, he gets another team's best corner as he hits 30.

So, if you're Shanny, you think, "Is there value in Moss in the return game, a can he be used in 'stack' and 'trips' sets to attack in space?"

You think 'yes,' let him play out his contract, and then move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying it here for awhile now EinVB..Please allow me to get you up to speed.

The players don't like constant negativity non matter where it's coming from. At the very least they expect fan support, even through the 'bad times' -(INSERT TYPICAL Vicc SLANT: things will get better when we find a Qb)- b/c players contribute to society both physically and financially.

You look at players like Justin Tryon, Devin Thomas, Fred Davis... he11 even Jason Campbell; those players have improved each year. At the very least, the Players expect support back from society.

`

My Bad.

I simply should have said "I understand Chris Cooleys point of view" !

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"I'm just surprised the guy hasn't blogged or anything in quite awhile. Anybody heard anything on CC?"

Maybe he decided he was a millionaire and didn't need it any more.

Accessibility is what I mean.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Truth, what up dude?!?!?!

You still drinking your own urine?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Vicc,

I hear you, but its not like fans don't support them... Fans provide the method by which these players make a living. And Boo's aren't necessarily directed at each player... I doubt people are booing Cooley. At times, we boo bad plays or players and other its the larger product on the field... The culprits sit higher than the players in most cases... And many of these playes are doing the damnest to play hard and win, but some just aren't as talented... understood.

Additionally - The ratio of fans that want to trade CC are small compared to the majority that want him here... I'm just saying... see through some of the bullcrap.

Nobody should take anything for granted, it goes both ways...

Posted by: EinVB | February 1, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Nobody should take anything for granted, it goes both ways...

Posted by: EinVB | February 1, 2010 2:13 PM

True. I understand your point of view as well.

I'm a known critic(constantly negative toward) of Jason Campbell. We were sucking even before Synder. Ultimately the players decide whats happening on the field.

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsst21 | February 1, 2010 1:18 PM
===================================
Tebow would of been a "Billy Kilmer" in the 70's.. great leader and motivator but, so-so arm.
Too bad, for Tebow, its not the 70's.

Third round to the Jags.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 1, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe... I hear you. I think the guy definitely knows he's a millionaire... And I was surprised that he went to the extent he did for awhile... I'm sure he's got plenty of other much more fun things to do... I think his little bro, TC had much to do it with it.

Posted by: EinVB | February 1, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

... Glenlawrences' rustic, "Yee Haw," though, makes me think of a soapy, wet pert-nippled Daisy Dukes bent over washing the tires of a red car.

But I digress. ...

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 12:51 PM

By all means, let's explore this digression. How about that scene in Cool Hand Luke with the woman washing the car ... and George Kennedy in his Academy Award winning performance as Dragline, "My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for another couple of minutes."

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

One of the performers is named Corey Gunz, for the hip hop heads he's Peter Gunz son who rapped with Lord Tariq on the "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" joint from back in the day.

It's at Club Bed in tha 305...

Over/under on how many fights will break out: 15

Over/under on how many arrests: 6

Over/under on how many shots will be fired: 8

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"Anything so innocent and built like that just gotta be named Lucille."

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Over/under on how many fights will break out: 15

Over/under on how many arrests: 6

Over/under on how many shots will be fired: 8

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

`

Nuthing a few couple hun'ed dollas couldn't solve.

Wish i was there.

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Too bad, for Tebow, its not the 70's.

Third round to the Jags.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 1, 2010 2:17 PM

Everything starts turning upside down. Now its now way that LeFevour lasts till the 4th. I imagine that both Zac Robinson, LeFevour, and the guy from WV all end up going before Tebow ... except maybe to a team that wants to take Wildcat to the next level (and add a guy with the built and speed of a FB/TE to the mix of possible QBs). Portis' passes look pretties than Tebow's.

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

p1

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

What is it that you think I've "made him out to be"?

I've posted his career stats/numbers and accomplishments as a Redskin - all of which overwhelmingly show he's been far and away the best wide receiver on this team including last season.

That's all I've portrayed him to be. I've not said he's in the class of Larry Ftizgerald or Randy M in his prime.

But I thank you for illustrating my central point with your nit-picking fault-finding haterade-chugging assessment:

He doesn't have "heart"?? Really?? Have you watched him in this offense for the past 5 years playing with the suckitude they've surrounded him with??? That's all heart.

I mean, do you have a "heart-o-meter" that you whip out on Sundays? If Steve Smith had to play on this woeful anemic offense for 5 years do you think he'd be as well-behaved and as much a team-guy as Moss has shown himself to be???

He gives up on routes and runs them short and goes half-speed?? Really?? Are you standing on the sideline with a speed-gun?? Are you reviewing all of his routes with the coaches and finding out which ones are short??? Is there anything you can point to apart from your bald opinion to back that up??

The dude has been one of the few reasons to tune in to Skins games over the past 5 years.

I'm of the mindset that we just thank him, and expect Shanny to find a niche for him in the offense to utilize his proven play-making abilities; instead of questioning his "heart" and his route-running.

Seriously, there are PLENTY of things to criticize the Skins for. Santana Moss is NOT one of them.

Oh well, next up...all the reasons to drag Chris Samuels out into the street and beat him like a dog...

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Portis' passes look pretties than Tebow's.

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:24 PM
============================
Hunter Punter, a close second.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 1, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Ultimately the players decide whats happening on the field.

Posted by: Vicc
----

No doubt. That's part of what I found so astonishing... In some of CC's posts he mentioned how it wasn't his place to step and tell a guy to do a better job and catch the ball, or make the block, blah blah, blah... As if he's shouldn't hold his teammates accountable. And that might be one of the biggest problems with this offense... Step up and show some damned leadership... Stop acting like a bunch of sissies and worry about hurting someones feelings and work through it. If they can't do that, none of them will ever be winners.

Posted by: EinVB | February 1, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys already have the discussion about how Julius Peppers wants to play somewhere (anywhere) that has a 3-4 base package? Whether he's a down DE or an OLB, I'd be OK with overpaying him to come play here. Add Dansby on top of that, the draft a free safety, and all we need is an offensive line ... why does it seem like the last words should be the first?

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis' passes look pretties than Tebow's.

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:24 PM
============================
Hunter Punter, a close second.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 1, 2010 2:28 PM

The punter's throws look prettier than both Portis' and Tebow's ... the circumstances under which he had to throw the second one, however, were early season Aaron Rodgers-looking ugly though.

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VinnyC (aka dcsween) | February 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato?

Are you really blogging up here on WaPo these days??

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"The Moss brothers, Portis, Ocho Cinco, Corey Ivey, Evan Oglseby, Frank Walker, Ray Rice, and Willis McGahee are throwing a party in Miami during super bowl weekend."

A friend of mine who's tried to roll with the crews who go to these parties says they are not for the regular folks.

They are not violent parties--just a lot of very, very, very, very pretty wimmin looking for a Suga Daddy or two or three at the same time.

Those guys will spend as a lump sum twice what the WaPo will make off advertising for today's paper.

The only bamas near the place will be bustas like ourselves standing on the outside.

Hoping to get in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Peppers makes sense (doubt it will ever happen though). With Haynesworth in a hybrid 4-3 (really a 3-4) would be pretty incredible. If you put both at ends and play Montgomery at NT with Jarmon floating in and out. BUT ...

You would still have to drastically improve the secondary and not just with a top free safety in the draft. You would still need corners. I am not sure this team has any worth a fiddler's damn.

AND first and foremost rebuilding the offensive line must be done.

Posted by: periculum | February 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 1, 2010 1:44 PM
===========================
Because of the high number of underclassmen coming out this draft (labor issues, and impending 2011 slotted contracts etc). This is one of the deepest in quality Drafts in a long time..
Wish the Skins would just unload the marginal guys and stockpile draft picks in the 2nd and 3rd.. where underclassmen could be obtained that may of gone in the First round of 2011.
Wtf... make 2010 the developmental year like the you know who did, who traded "Herschel Walker" for an eventual dynasty of draft picks.
As it is, retaining the current talent and acquiring no additional picks, Shanny wont see better than 8-8 while he builds a decade neglected OLine.
So, what the he-ll go all out, trade the extra baggage vets that'll be gone in 2011 anyway.... and get more picks for 2010.

Problem is.. you gotta find a "buyer" who isnt thinking this way, too.. Its like the stock market.. a zero sum proposition.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Who decides our Team Captains anyway?

Don't they wear a patch? *chuckle* those have been outta style long before Dan Synder popped his first red cherry.

Leadership can also be earned through consistency and recognition for it, or 'less the aggressor' in the Tony Dungy mode.

I think I've mixed up the term "Team Captain" with "Team Leader". Can some1 explain the difference? I'm lost. Natural vs. Artificial?

Posted by: Vicc | February 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Rebuilding this team through its spurts and starts, and total breakdowns is a 2-4 year process that Allen and Shanahan have a good leg up on ...

Posted by: periculum | February 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Allen and Shanahan have the stamina to succeed where others have failed ... with Daniel Snyder.

Posted by: periculum | February 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

moe/red, I'm going...if you guys want to get in let me know....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hoping to get in.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Lmao.. right. Dudes pulling up in the Honda Accords while the ball players stuntin' in Bentleys and Maybach 62s.

"Ayo was the difference between a 4.0 and a 4.6?"

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Since these posts have nothing to do with Orakpo and the Pro Bowl, but on the Redskin receivers I'll weigh in.

I too feel Moss would be successful in the slot and would be hard to defend. As far as D.Thomas, M.Kelley and M.Mitchell, I feel the new staff should have an open competition between the three, and I have a funny feeling Marko Mitchell is better than one or maybe both of them. Politics,(Thomas and Kelley were 2nd rnd picks) and a coach with an empty nut sack kept Mitchell on the bench until late in the season when it didn't matter. I'm sure with the new regime in place we'll see Mr.Mitchell making a lot of plays this year

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hoping to get in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Did your friend mention if Snyder shows up to those gigs?

I can see him lounging on a couch drinking Dom P out of the bottle with a straw...

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

p1

I only summarized what you wrote in response to my post, but I will cut to the chase. I like Santana. No hate going on here. I think you overrate him. He has been the skins best receiver the last 5 years. Sometimes its more by default than achievement. If the skins really are starting a new way of doing things why keep someone just because they have been here a while. He doesnt seem to be a leader like London and that would be a reason why you keep him. Shrewd and successful teams know when part ways with veterans. If the skins are going to be one of those teams than they are going to have to make some hard decisions. If that means keeping Santana in a complementary role than fine, if that means getting rid of him for a 3rd or 4th round pick than that works also.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 1, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Word, beans... VIP with a few bottles of Noveau, Louis XIII, and Rossi on ice....

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Ayo was the difference between a 4.0 and a 4.6?"

Posted by: RedDMV

Different color coupes but I'm in love with the black one.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

One thing that we all seem to agree on is 2009 should have been the last season ARE is in a Redskins uniform.

ARE is a good guy, no off field problems or attitude, strong Christian faith, practices and on offense does his best. As a returner he was terrible. We can get what he has provided from someone already on the roster and that's on offense and special teams. ARE we wish you the best of luck in 2010. The same goes for R.Cartwright, and L.Betts, and R.Thomas. On defense I say good-bye to R.Wynn, and P.Daniels.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

I bet 'pretty' is a subjective term - I'm guessing instead of 'beautiful, charming, classy, wifey' pretty, it's 'ms. new booty, scantily clad, extra junk, 10 pounds makeup, consider getting a Monica from on your way out the bar at 3 a.m.' pretty.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Truth, what up dude?!?!?!

You still drinking your own urine?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 2:11 PM |

Hey DMV you turkey ponzoid. Rex Ryan says "Hi".

........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯¯//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'....'/¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../...../....../.¯\
........('(..´(...´(.....,/.'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........\...................·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

Posted by: FartezDudmore | February 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

cute

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

There are basically 2 kinds of women in the world, and the majority of the women at this party and other similar parties are of one type. Your a fool if your married to that type.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

And... what's wrong with that?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Exactly 72, you dog those types, not wife 'em.

You are a damn fool if you wife a woman you bet at the club. I don't care how upscale it is. Sh*t probably the more upscale the chances that she's a money grubbing pile of sh*t.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

And... what's wrong with that?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:20 PM |

Nothing at all. Monicas are very fine cameras ...

Posted by: FartezDudmore | February 1, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

And... what's wrong with that?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:20 PM |

Nothin, if that's what you're looking for.

I wouldn't call it 'pretty' though.

We all know theres a big difference between the chick we take home for a night and the chick we take home for good.

Not that I could land any of those chicks that Moe is referring to, even for a night.

But 'pretty', in my book, would be the latter.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins need someone in the mold of Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin. Actually any speed at the Running Back position would be an upgrade to what we already have. (Is A.Aldridge on the practice squad ?)

Since Bush could be available in the offseason should the Skins be interested, or look to get the same skills set in the draft?

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯¯//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'....'/¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../...../....../.¯\
........('(..´(...´(.....,/.'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........\...................·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

Posted by: FartezDudmore

Oddly enough this was the same finger I used to double finger bang both your wife/gf and mother.

Also oddly enough this is the very same finger you like to have stuck up your ass while getting your asphyxiation on.

With your dad.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"I bet 'pretty' is a subjective term - I'm guessing instead of 'beautiful, charming, classy, wifey' pretty, it's 'ms. new booty, scantily clad, extra junk, 10 pounds..."

I'd love to agree with you, but I can't.

There's a website I used to surf that has photos of athletes hanging out and whatnot.

In one photo, Arod sat with two drunken brunette stunners pawing his crouch.

In another, Ochocinco was clutching the sculpted caramel-colored azz of one of those super hot video honeys that make their loot servicing rappers, ballas, and other folks with throw away money.

The women in the party had Miss America faces, and Serena Williams' thighs.

Trust me, bro', if hot chicks like that are giving up brain on the ride home in the Bentley, you'd be safe as long you don't text while driving.

And you'd be even safer if you don't let what she's doing go to your head.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to agree with you, but I can't.

In one photo, Arod sat with two drunken brunette stunners pawing his crouch.

The women in the party had Miss America faces, and Serena Williams' thighs.

And you'd be even safer if you don't let what she's doing go to your head.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 3:30 PM
-----------------------------------------
No sloppy seconds from any girl that's done Ron Mexico, right?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FartezDudmore | February 1, 2010 3:10 PM

----------

Wow, just wow...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

With your dad.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:28 PM |

Pretty pretty lame, especially considering all the work that my design department did. You can do better than this. Have another go at it.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | February 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 3:30 PM |

I'm sure theyre 'Saturday night hot' Moe - but any chick that's clawin after a man's money via her body ain't 'pretty' in my book.

Call me old fashioned, I guess.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 1, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Pro Bowl was so boring, no intensity defensively at all.
Honestly, it was a joke.

My 12 year old asked me in the second quarter, "Dad, why is everyone moving so slowly, like a practice?"
My 16 year old said, "Dad the DB are just grabbing, not hitting any at all."

If those two can see it, why can't the NFL and just drop this charade and poor game.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | February 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

With your dad.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:28 PM

----------

Speaking from personal experience, Red?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

p1

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 1, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how I "overrated" him, but that's beside the point.

The real reason you keep him is because he is the best WR on your roster. Period.

Again, unless we are planning a move for Andre Johnson or Anquan Boldin, I don't see why we cut Moss.

Even if we get a 3rd/4th round pick for him, it leaves us going into the season with who at WR? ARE,DT,MK,MM? That would be a downgrade in our unit full of question marks about productivity and experience.

Besides, this year there is no reason to part ways with him. He's under contract and there's no salary cap. It's not like he's asking for a ridiculous extension or more $$.

He doesn't need to be London Fletcher. By all accounts he's a great teammate, he's coachable, he's not throwing guys under the bus, he doesn't have sideline tantrums...basically, he's not Clinton Portis, even if he did go to the "U".

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

blah blah blah ... Julius Peppers ... 3-4 base package ... Dansby ... free safety ... blah blah blah

Posted by: VinnyC (aka dcsween) | February 1, 2010 2:29 PM

Vinny Cerrato?

Are you really blogging up here on WaPo these days??

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 2:32 PM

This kind of retro-negativity is no way to kick off another Skins' offseason, save it for the actual season. Come March something, there will be no more salary cap. Of the two teams with the deepest pocket books (Team Snyder and Team Jerrah), only one (the local team) is not precluded from signing over priced free agents pending the release of an existing overpriced free agent b/c of the Final Eight clause in the CBA ... this means that Team Money Bags gets to be BOTH the Yankees AND the Red Sox of the NFL. So I'm saying, if you can't beat 'em, sign 'em. [Its zen really ... just embracing what's going to happen anyway ... letting the river of unrealistic expectation backed by too much money just carry you away like so much flotsam and gysm.]

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 3:42 PM

You keep him, like James Thrash, until someone can take his job away from him on the field, not on Redskins Insider. (Or -- as some of the moon bats up here think -- until he becomes the union representative.)

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

double finger bang ... wife/gf and mother ... asphyxiation ... your dad.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the "Report Abuse" button even works any more ... maybe its like the "I Feel Lucky" button on Google nowadays.

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

double finger bang ... wife/gf and mother ... asphyxiation ... your dad.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

At least no one here will be offended by a Super Bowl ad.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo's strategy is drop back look for Fletcher, run to Fletcher and just barely miss the tackle that Fletcher has just made.

smart and funny

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 1, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The beginning of the end for Jay Cutler.

Bears hire Mike Martz
Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2010 3:59 PM ET
The coach that no one wanted finally has gotten the job that no one wanted.

Mike Martz is the new offensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears.

As we hear it, coach Lovie Smith wanted Martz from the outset of the search process, but G.M. Jerry Angelo resisted. With multiple candidates declining the job and/or a chance to interview for it, Martz eventually became the only real option.

As Larry Mayer of the team's official web site points out, Smith now has three former head coaches on his staff -- Martz, offensive line coach Mike Tice (Vikings 2001-05), and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli (Lions 2006-08).

And if they don't help Lovie turn things around, the four of them can look for work together in 2011.

Posted by: TWISI | February 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

At least no one here will be offended by a Super Bowl ad.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 1, 2010 3:55 PM
-------------------------------------------
Red's the RI equivalent of a Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 1, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Bears hire Mike Martz
Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2010 3:59 PM ET
The coach that no one wanted finally has gotten the job that no one wanted.

Mike Martz is the new offensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears.

Posted by: TWISI | February 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Like I said before, the Bears are going to be this decade's version of the 2000-2009 Skins...

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

So a bama can use ASCII art to tell me to go fu_k myself, but people get their feeling hurt because I speak on finger banging his mom.

That's just not right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With your dad.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 3:28 PM

----------

Speaking from personal experience, Red?

Posted by: Chia_Pet

Yeah, Chia_Turd.

With your mom.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the "Report Abuse" button even works any more

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2010 3:50 PM

It works, but with a two-day delay. Check back on Wednesday and the offending posts will be gone.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

MIAMI—Team officials from the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts emerged from a tense, 12-hour negotiating session Thursday and told reporters that, while they had yet to reach a settlement that would prevent a massive on-field conflict, the AFC and NFC champions were committed to resolving the Super Bowl through diplomatic channels.

"Playing this Super Bowl is our last resort," said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who was flanked by the coaches and quarterbacks for the opposing teams. "Yes, there are some difficult issues that need to be hashed out, such as who will be the game's MVP, the number of total passing yards for each quarterback, and which team will be named Super Bowl champion, but I think we made progress today."

"The Colts and the Saints are unwavering in their commitment to avoid any violence and wish to resolve the Super Bowl peacefully, without a single football being thrown," Goodell added.

for more http://www.theonion.com/content/news/saints_colts_hoping_to_resolve

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 1, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"The women in the party had Miss America faces and Serena Williams' thighs."

I know this is a self-posting move, but are there any candidates for such a description who are not 'gold digga' types?

Possible Candidates:

Alicia Keys

Beyonce Knowles (before Jay-Z tapped it)

Megan Fox (even with the thumb issue)

Shakira (the English version)

Cindy Boren (after La Canfora left)

Mariah Carey (before Nick Cannon)

Janet Jackson (before the bra malfunction issue)

Serena Williams (before Common tapped it)

Scarlett Johannson

Megan Good

Katic Couric (only if she dances naked like she does in that youtube clip)

Moe goes with Katie Couric: I like'em old and smart.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha, RedDMV

........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯¯//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'....'/¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../...../....../.¯\
........('(..´(...´(.....,/.'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........\...................·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

My mom died in 2003, you freaking spineless whacktard.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Jeesh... you must be a miserable sod.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 1, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Waiting for the comeback where you say you banged my mom in 2002.

Classless Pig...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 1, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Alicia Keys - Yep

Beyonce Knowles (before Jay-Z tapped it) - Yep

Megan Fox (even with the thumb issue) - Yep

Shakira (the English version) - Yep

Cindy Boren (after La Canfora left) - No comment

Mariah Carey (before Nick Cannon) - Yep; was in D.C. a few nights ago too.

Janet Jackson (before the bra malfunction issue) - Yep; I don't care if her whole outfit fell off revealing those lucious knockers and snatch -- HELLS YES

Serena Williams (before Common tapped it) - LOL. You mean before Lavar tapped it?

That short fat chick from Jersey Shore, Snookie. (before every dude in Jersey tapped it) - She might me the hottest "15 minute" chick right now. Yep.

Scarlett Johannson - Yep

Megan Good - I want to have babies with this woman. Lips, face, breastises, and ass. HELLS YES! One of my all-time favorite Hollywood chicks.

Katic Couric (only if she dances naked like she does in that youtube clip) - Probably a top 10 MILF -- Yep, her too.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Red,

Go creep on some girl on the bus ride back to your one bedroom crib today, homie.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 1, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Arrgh, you're killing me JReid! Give me some freaking analysis! Whose stock went up or down after the Senior Bowl? What are some rumors going around for what we plan to do in FA or the draft? Who's on the chopping block on the current roster? Any potential trades going down soon? Damn it man, do your effing job!

Posted by: DCinSD | February 1, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Waiting for the comeback where you say you banged my mom in 2002.

Classless Pig...

Posted by: Chia_Pet

Actually it was 1999, but who's keeping track really?

Hey dude, you set yourself up. No one said a damn thing to you but you had to open your mouth with your co-signing bullsh_t.

You got "LeGarrette Blount'd", boy. Like that a__hole from Boise State that tapped him on the shoulder and talked sh*t to him after the game, you had it coming. Deal with it.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Beep.

The narcissists have gotten together in Miami.

Posted by: League-Source | February 1, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

red

"Cindy Boren (after La Canfora left) - No comment"

What if she changed her name to Syndee Boring, had collegen injections in her lips, got a hair weave, booty pads, long fake azzed nails, and learned to do the Electric Slide without spilling her apple martini?

Syndee "Hoochie Mama" Boring?

I might sign up to hit that and even let La Canfora leak a story about it in NFL.COM.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Red,

Posted by: Chia_Pet

Well I stay in a town house with three bedrooms, and I live by myself.

Goes to show how much you know. Stop assuming that all us black folk are poor and live int he ghetto.

And I drove in this morning.

Damn boy, you have a scary memory.... keeping track how I put it to the ladies through my post, huh.

It's really unnecessary though. All you'd have to do is get the black light and scan your wiz for jizz stains.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 1, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

sad how this site has deteriorated since the "old days"... it was moderated and ad hominem attacks and gratuitous vulgarity got a poster banned quickly.

where are the Mods ? this is a damn shame, even for offseason

Posted by: shally | February 1, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse