On Twitter: Insider and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 8:57 AM ET, 02/22/2011

Oshiomogho Atogwe in town to meet Redskins officials

By Mike Jones

A league source said that free agent free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe will meet with Washington Redskins officials and coaches Tuesday.

There were reports that Atogwe was going to be at Redskins Park on Monday. But many Redskins coaches were out of town for the holiday weekend, and Atogwe didn't arrive in the D.C. area until the evening, according to two sources familiar with the situation. The meeting will take place Tuesday, and the Redskins are said to be very interested in the six-year pro, who played three seasons under Washington defensive coordinator Jim Haslett in St. Louis (2006 to 2008).

Atogwe was released by the Rams last Friday because he was owed an $8 million roster bonus. Because no team holds his rights, he is free to sign anywhere now rather than have to wait until the official free agency signing period, which won't commence until there is a new collective bargaining agreement.

The Redskins are in the market for a free safety after starter Kareem Moore endured an injury-plagued season that caused him to miss the first two and the final two games. Moore tore ligaments in his right knee during the preseason and had surgery. He never fully recovered and was ineffective much of the year before winding up on the injured reserve list Dec. 29 and in need of a second surgery. The three-year veteran missed time during his rookie season because of knee surgery as well.

Atogwe has been described as a ball-hawking safety and has recorded 22 interceptions in six years. His best season was 2007, when under Haslett, he recorded eight interceptions. Last season, Atogwe recorded 73 tackles and three interceptions.

By Mike Jones  | February 22, 2011; 8:57 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Redskins to host safety O.J. Atogwe today
Next: Post Sports Live: The Carmelo Anthony trade, the NFL combine and college's basketball stretch run

Comments

Should be the FIRST offseason signing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

No way. We should trade all of our free agents for draft picks.

That's how you build a contender.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Despite the stink of Adam Archuletta still lingering in the air, I wouldn't mind it if the Skins were able to sign Atogwe.

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM

Unfair comparison...Atogwe knows this staff and played for this defense. He fits a need and the system. Arch was a name Snyder heard one time and they let Ryan Clark go to get him. Completely different...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Seems like a no brainer to me, we dont have to give up the farm or franchise our future for a better then average player that fills a position of need. Above all he is a good character person, that goes a long way at this point with this team. He is familiar with our D, I might go as far as to say if it weren't for him Haslett may not be our DC right now, he played great for him.
Cant see what all the hulabouloo is about, my only qualm is the number, he aint getting 21.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

This looks like a reasonable move. He won't cost any draft picks, just some more of Dan's money.

At best, he fills a need. At worst, he adds his name a long (freakin' loooong!) list of marquee names who underachieve in a Skins uni after starring somewhere else.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 22, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are a team without a foundation. They should focus on building the foundation. 30 year old free agents are generally not players you put in your foundation. There's only one London Fletcher.

Posted by: p1funk | February 22, 2011 9:15 AM

Hate to break it to ya, but everything I've seen of him seems to show Atogwe to be cut from the same cloth as Fletch.

I totally agree about the foundation of the team and many of the names on your list. I just don't see where signing Atogwe is preventing us from getting any of those proposed deals done or stunting the team's growth. If you're building thru the draft, having a ton of cap space isn't necessarily a must.

But hey, we're mostly talking in circles at this point...I guess we'll see soon enough what the thinking is at Redskins Park.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Cointoss- Best offseason pick up last year:

I go with Carriker.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 22, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm still 50-50 on it. For me it depends on the contract.

Barnes should be working at CB not FS.
He fills a need.
We know he can cover.
We don't have a starting caliber free safety on the team.
He's played in this scheme before and played well.

He's 30.
He may stifle the development of a young player picked up in the draft.
Signing him means that we aren't even going to try for another FS like Eric Weddle or Michael Huff.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm still 50-50 on it. For me it depends on the contract.

Barnes should be working at CB not FS.
He fills a need.
We know he can cover.
We don't have a starting caliber free safety on the team.
He's played in this scheme before and played well.

He's 30.
He may stifle the development of a young player picked up in the draft.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse
Huff and Weddle will want those ridonkulous contracts though.

I would even be fine if we didn't sign him and make Barnes the FS.

Yeah, he's small but big things come in little packages.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 22, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Despite the stink of Adam Archuletta...

Didja ever see Arch on the NFL Network?

He looks like Dennis without the Menace.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

He's 30.
He may stifle the development of a young player picked up in the draft.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2011 9:35 AM

Actually, he's still 29 (until June) and will cost absolutely nothing in terms of future (draft picks). Eric Weddle is 26 and Michael Huff is 27, both under contract with other teams.

It's hard to predict how much a player has left in the tank, but Atogwe doesn't have the kind of lower extremity injury history that normally shortens careers.

I don't see his age as a factor.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 22, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Our d could use a ballhawk

Im not concerned with his contract needs, its dan-os money not ours

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 22, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the cap consequences of signing him now? We're still in the 2010 uncapped year. If we pay the roster bonus that the Rams wouldn't pay does it all count against the uncapped year or does it pro-rate over the length of the contract?

I suppose, like everything else, that "it depends." Specifically it depends on what the new labor agreement says. But, how would it be handled under the old labor agreement -- do "roster bonuses" pro-rate or hit only in the year they're paid?

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Cosign, but I think for me the stink of Archuletta is masked by the stench still lingering from Mark Carrier.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

He looks like Dennis without the Menace.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

He looks like John Lynch with Down Syndrome.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

He looks like John Lynch with Down Syndrome.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 10:06 AM |

I would have gone with Jason Sehorn's bizarro, but I guess yours works too...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Adam Archuelta

He looks like Dennis without the Menace.

He looks like John Lynch with Down Syndrome.

He looks like Tom Cruise before his career became a minority report.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

He looks like John Lynch with Down Syndrome.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 10:06 AM |

That struck me as pretty funny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 22, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Adam Archuelta

He looks like Dennis without the Menace.

He looks like John Lynch with Down Syndrome.

He looks like Tom Cruise before his career became a minority report.

He looks like Blue without a Clue.

He looks like Tom Cruise before his career became a minority report.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

ooopppss, typo

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Actual Headline:

OJ Simpson Beaten in Prison: Why Are We So Happy?

Actual Headline:

OJ Atogwe in town to meet Redskins officials

So which one of these guys are folks spending another day aping about, again?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

No way. We should trade all of our free agents for draft picks.

That's how you build a contender.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy but isn't it hard to trade Free Agents?

Does this mean I can sell all the cars on my street even though I hold no legal right to any of them?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 22, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

No way. We should trade all of our free agents for draft picks.

That's how you build a contender.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse
____________

No you build a contender through a smart and intelligent use both free agency and the draft. That's how you build a contender. A guy like Atogwe might be a great thing to do.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 22, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

-----------

I call your stench of Mark Carrier, and I raise you a overwhelming reek of Deion Sanders.

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

2001 called, and it said its time to move on....10 years and all...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Let's try not to give him $25mill w/ 10 guaranteed.

Posted by: p1funk | February 22, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

-----------

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm all in with an Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 22, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad tainting the thought of Atogwe with the mention so many past free agent busts. I strongly believe that the Skins' lack of draft picks requires them to be aggressive in free agency, and Atogwe is a hell of a player.

I just worry about the Skins ability to evaluate talent.

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

This is yet another tragic day in RI history where not one, but TWO pleas for bacon related assistance were completely ignored.

I hereby recind everyone's man-card. Do not attempt to use them anymore. The only thing they're good for now is second-day matinee performances of Cirque de Solei and a discount on Tofu at the takoma park co-op.

Here lies RI's masculinity.

...RIP...

In case anyone is interested, I think I'm going to end up making the stuff in my own oven. 5 pounds of bacon worth's of grease. That's almost enough to fit your fat mom through the doorway. Maybe she'll finally get out of the house for the first time since the big-gulp was invented.

Happy fake monday.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Here lies RI's masculinity.

...RIP...

Happy fake monday.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

make sure you dump all of the grease down your drain, with some hot water....nothing to worry about there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It's better with the link.. hehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll double down with Jeff George and Brandon Lloyd!

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Whether by draft or by free agency, the Redskins desparately need to replace Kareem Moore, who is a real liability since he is one of the league's worst tacklers.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 22, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:00 AM

You're taking me back to some old school "Fat Boys" memories. This refrain in particular:

Now it started off when I was very small, I devoured chocolate cake, plates candles and all!

For breakfast it was cheese and 5 pounds of bacon, and halfway through my tummy starts a-shakin...

Toast on the side, 5 gallons of juice and that was just for breakfast when I start to get looose!!

Posted by: Alan4 | February 22, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

No way. We should trade all of our free agents for draft picks.

That's how you build a contender.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse
____________

I hate when I waste a good joke too. Lol

Posted by: clwalker1906 | February 22, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I just worry about the Skins ability to evaluate talent.

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 10:59 AM

Why? When have they ever missed in the past?

I'd trust them more than a committee of nine carefully selected posters on RI. For talent evaluation we should form a committee posters of the Green Bay website.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I hereby recind everyone's man-card. Do not attempt to use them anymore.

Man, I hope this doesn't affect my sock puppet card.

SAVE THE MASCULINITY!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Please sign this man NOW!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 22, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

No way. We should trade all of our free agents for draft picks.

That's how you build a contender.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy but isn't it hard to trade Free Agents?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 22, 2011 10:35 AM

I was wondering when someone was going to call this out. I mean, really? Come on man.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 22, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Actual Headline:

OJ Simpson Beaten in Prison: Why Are We So Happy?

Actual Headline:

OJ Atogwe in town to meet Redskins officials

So which one of these guys are folks spending another day aping about, again?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm still trying to find the J in O.J.'s name. shouldn't it be O.G.?

SAVE THE J'S!!!

BTW, is hessone off his period yet? I want to know if I have to watch what I say again.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

At least the Skins avoided disaster a few years back when Drew Brees was available as a FA. That guy has a booger on his face.

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Kudos Alan@!!

Dis-Orderlies is a highly underrated comedy classic.

Monk - aren't sock puppets feminine?... or at least acting that way.. unless.. nevermind.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 11:13 AM

I think the Skins will do fine in free agency once they discover and remove whatever toxic substance in the uniform is making formerly impressive players lose a step, physically weaken, and develop a bad attitude.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 22, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:12 AM

Hessone was stomped by several guys yesterday who posted actual facts to counter is blithering, repetitious assertions. In the end he was reduced to "I'm not going there. I'm taking the high road." Never did get around to his patented "I was just having fun."

And, oh yeah, he was after you/PlayAction. He got so mad at me that he told me "You're as annoying as Monk 811 and PlayAction." I don't think you will tolerate sharing the mantle with me, so you/PlayAction need to step up the annoyance factor.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Alan, I believe it's been identified as Snyderester, commercially known as Dannylon.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

We need Costanza to waltz into Snyder's office and propose 100% cotton uniforms.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 22, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

WG - MANZIER! lol...

Oh & on the topic. As long as it's a reasonable, justifiable (sp?!) sum, I don't have a problem w/ bringing in a coverage safety. But if his ball-hawking comes at the expense of the deep ball, we already have that covered in the corner, don't we?

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

OJ Simpson Beaten in Prison: Why Are We So Happy?

prisoner: Say, Juice, how's that glove fittin' with my fist in it?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

CommieX

Interesting screen name.

Let me guess: someone in the Nation of Islam who works in the Kremlin is a redskin fan.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

OJ - still coulda been the mob. Just a consp. theory

And HERE is the BACON recipe I'm going with.

I might put some brown sugar on it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Kudos Alan@!!

Dis-Orderlies is a highly underrated comedy classic.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

No we aren't feminine, just because we are crazy and have split personalities doesn't mean we are women or are feminine men.

Are you gay for having Dik in your User Id?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

CommieX

Interesting screen name.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 11:45 AM

...works so deep in the Kremlin that he hasn't gotten the news yet ... neither the news about the breakup of the Soviet Union nor that Sammy Baugh retired.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:12 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Hessone was stomped by several guys? You would think that he would have enjoyed that.

That's actually a compliment beep-beep, and don't you worry, I'll take it up a notch today, I've got a fews days of schtick to make up for!

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Are you gay for having Dik in your User Id?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:49 AM

Seems to me, he'd only be gay if he had Dik in his ass...just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Are you gay for having Dik in your User Id?

If your USER i.d. is what you wipe twice daily, then yes, you are gay if you have a Dik in it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Casserly talkin' Skins...beats the continued Atogwe debate...

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Always thought CC was improving as a GM when he left. This is a real good article on the details needed to evaluate talent.

Like the idea of trading back and getting a a 15ish pick and a third rounder. Good luck finding a partner at that,.

Posted by: TheCork | February 22, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

This column about Dave Duerson's shocking death speaks of an event and its likely cause that should scare the hell out of the NFL--and its players.

Posted by: TheCork | February 22, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Monk - sorry, I musta been mistaken on what the connotation of 'sock-puppet' was. I thought they were 'catchers' ... 'cause that's where the... um... thing.. goes.

Then there's the whole chili-peppers, pubescent's most popular activity, angle concerning sock use...

I think it's pretty standard.

Besides. What's wrong w/ being gay? You got a problem w/ gay people?

And finally - I can't think of a more masculine name than Dik, can you? And no, Bagina is not a name.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Are you gay for having Dik in your User Id?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 11:49 AM

Seems to me, he'd only be gay if he had Dik in his ass...just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

So a Dik in your mouth is alright and 'straight' in your book brownwood? What would you call that, 'experimenting'? 'Friday Night special'? 'Socialing' with friends? 'Game Night'?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

No way. We should trade all of our free agents for draft picks.

That's how you build a contender.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse
____________

I hate when I waste a good joke too. Lol

Posted by: clwalker1906 | February 22, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

It's only wasted when no one responds. Fishing is fun.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

from the Dwyre article:

If you are NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and you hear about Duerson, you want to lock yourself in a room for a couple of hours and alternately scream and cry.

Actually, Roger prefers to scream and cry at players who sully the league's good name by frequenting strip clubs or carrying guns onto airplanes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 22, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Casserly talkin' Skins...beats the continued Atogwe debate...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Casserly sucks. He rode the coattails of Beatherd for years and thinks he's so smart and talented. Yeah, sure, drafting Desmond Howard was REAL talented NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Casserly sucks.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:11 PM

You must not have read the article. Couple of profound insights. Let me list all of the for you:

1. The draft has a lot of good D Linemen
2. The 'Skins could trade down
3. If the 'Skins draft a QB they'll reach because everyone reaches for QBs

But Brownwood was right: This still beats the worn out Atogwe "debate."

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I think it's pretty standard.

Besides. What's wrong w/ being gay? You got a problem w/ gay people?

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 22, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Nope, not a problem with gays at all, just not the way I swing, I like to be the only sausage at the party.

Ok, so if I'm the 'catcher' for putting a hand in a sock, then are you the 'pitcher' for being the Dik in the ass? Just sayin....

Dik is an ok name, but why'd you settle on that one? Was SaladTossShuttle and TeaBagShuttle taken?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Monk, Casserly has more rings than most so I don't know how much he "sucks"...he's obviously not an elite talent evaluator, but it's crazy to say he's not at least good...

Oh, and "Dik" comment was a joke. No need to read into it or get your panties in a bunch...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM

Wow, someone needed another day of vacation or at least should have gotten up on the other side of the bed this morning. You are missing your better half, PlayAction. Can't believe monk811 is talking screen name smack to anyone.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I know, got the joke and sent one back to you.

You don't think Casserly comes off as being a little arrogant? Maybe sucks was a strong word, I'll say he's overrated, that better?

The 'rings' he has was basically from Beathard building the dynasty. I don't know, I just don't like the guy and think he's full of sh*t. Maybe if he had drafted better than Gibbs wouldn't have had an aging team and he wouldn't have retired so early the first time.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Whats good with the dick in the booty chatter up here?

Damn, you all are that topic starved?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**************************************************************************

4th, you doing another march maddness RI tourney?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

1. The draft has a lot of good D Linemen
2. The 'Skins could trade down
3. If the 'Skins draft a QB they'll reach because everyone reaches for QBs

But Brownwood was right: This still beats the worn out Atogwe "debate."

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I never commented on not liking the article, and yes I did read it! I was complaining about Casserly's time in the NFL, mainly how he sucked with us in the 90's. It's one thing to sit back and talk football, it's another to be 'the man' and make the correct decisions in the draft. BTW, how do you think Vinny will do on the radio?

Their about the same to me, except Vinny doesn't have glasses and didn't ride the coattails of a legend, and Casserly doesn't have the bulging eyes of a crackhead!

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This coming from the person named for going to a new post on RI, or is it from the timer telling you the fries are done? Maybe that's why you are the blog leader beep, you're the best ever at picking User ID's!!!

And yes, I could have used a little more sleep, plus I slept on my hand and my puppet was numb for hours.....

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

the timer telling you the fries are done?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:37 PM |

Whoa! Is that what that noise is about? I wish they'd explained this to me sooner. We've gotten so many complaints about burnt fries. People are so damned touchy about this. Thanks. Next week: Beep-beep, employee of the week!

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I slept on my hand and my puppet was numb for hours.....

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:37 PM

just don't sleep on your Dik

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I dont really get dissin on Casserly. Dude has a proven track record and drafted some good players.
I always hated how they jobed him in Houston for drafting the best choice.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

the timer telling you the fries are done?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:37 PM |

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I think I know the problem, your blog leader/fry guy ratio is about 90/10. Maybe take some time away from the blog and pay more attention to the fries.

I know, what would we do without you, please don't go, blah blah blah, but the fries need you.

And don't worry, our resident blog security hessone will keep an eye on us puppets for a while, but I think he took a sick day from the period cramps, can anybody fill in?

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not against older players -- but bringing in older players into a rebuilding effort isn't where I'd invest my resources. Atogwe is a nice player and if we had the 15th best defense with a hole at FS and were a 9-7 team with McNabb playing good ball, I'd probably go for the idea. We'd be close enough to invest in a 30 yr old DB.

But we were near the bottom in defense and both of our lines are in dire need of help. That is where we need to invest.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Two misconceptions in play here:

A) That we're light years away from contention. We're not. This is the NFL, not the NBA. Even with solid-yet-unspectacular play at QB, we've got a chance to be better on offense. The defense could take a step forward with a couple of breaks. Teams go from worst to first fairly often in the NFL and we've got a chance to do the same.

B) That the team thinks like we do. We're fans so we're supposed to have a different perspective than the team. It's one thing for us to say "We've got no shot at the playoffs", but the team is supposed to work toward a Super Bowl EVERY year...whether conventional wisdom agrees with them or not. That's not to say you go for broke trying to win it in that season like Snyder has done in the past, but you still should make moves toward being better. You don't pass on an obvious upgrade simply because the guy isn't likely to play for 5 more years. That's just not good business.

3) That the defense was epic awful. It wasn't. If you noticed, there were two or three REALLY bad performances that put the Redskins near the bottom of the defensive rankings. Not to mention, they improved in the takeaway department, the main goal for that unit coming into the season. Plus, they played the 2nd half of the season without Landry and for all intents and purposes without a NT. I think this defense would show a lot of improvement even if the only move we make all offseason is shoring up the NT position.

I'm not saying vast improvement is likely...I'm just saying that it's foolish to rule it out and pass on veteran help because of it. There are countless examples of teams that didn't contend one year turn it around the next due in part to acquiring veteran help. As long as we're not overpaying for it, this team should embrace veteran help...not avoid it like the plague...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 6:14 AM

Brownie -- Just had to respond to the "two misconceptions" which you labeled A, B and 3.

1st, we were close to losing every game. 3 wins came in OT, 1 when an iggle dropped a TD pass, 1 when a ref called holding -- some refs (wrongly) would swallow their whistle. We beat CHI by 3 when Cutler kept tossing picks.

2nd, I think the way I think. This offseason, I ask this ? about every signing: How is this going to help me win between 2013-2015? I'd make my major investments for guys who have big impact in these years.

C) the D isn't a 1 year rebuild. Who on our current 'D' will be a starter for us in 2012/13?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 22, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I always hated how they jobed him in Houston for drafting the best choice.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

You obviously haven't heard him talk on the NFL Network with that 'I'll talk fast and assertive so people actually think I know what I'm talking about' voice.

Just because he was the GM for the Redskins doesn't mean we have to kiss his ass, I'm not drinking that Koolaid!

And BTW Stu, I can't wait till we sign Rogers!!! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Monk,

I know you want nay need Rogers. As i said if we get rid of Ahay we def need him or RI will be missing out on a lot of material.
But really a line of V Holiday, S Rogers and A Carricker. Steelers aint got ish on us.

"Why should he get any credit at Houston, they sucked. They missed on Carr, never gave him any weapons, and never gave him an OLine to block for him."

--Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, Demeco Ryan, Owen Daniels. Wish the skins could have gotten some of them. drafting Andre Johnson alone makes you above any comparison to Vinny, that was low.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

FA = It. Does. Not. Cost. Draft. Picks.

Immediate upgrade at FS.

Hopefully Haslett has some pull with this guy.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | February 22, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CommieX | February 22, 2011 9:11 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 9:14 AM |
---------------------------

Just because you hate Snyder doesn't mean you have to make up stories!
The fact is that Greg Williams wanted AA and felt he was the answer for his D!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | February 22, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2011 6:14 AM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 22, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

You both are right, I want younger players, we are not THAT far from competing, and some vets in here wouldn't hurt. Here are my 3 points:

A. It doesn't matter how many old/young players we bring in here, if we don't have a franchise QB behind Center then we won't go anywhere anyway.

2. I don't mind veteran players on the team, in fact I like a few around to help teach the rookies, think of them as an extension of the coaches.

III. The D will be ready to compete in 2012, that's 2 years of draft and FA. If we get Otogwe then S is set. Hall will be around, so we need 1 corner. Orakpo and the dude we draft this year will be around for OLB, so we need Fletcher's replacement. We need a NT and DE. By my count, that's 4 players, or in terms of you guy's numbers, D.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Andre Johnson, the only offensive weapon they gave him.

Mario Williams, who else were they gonna pick there at no 1? Reggie Bush, please, he's overrated, Vince Young? Dude is getting run out of Ten. They HAD TO pick Williams.

Ryan is defensive, I'm talking about offensively.

Owen Daniels had one good year and hit the wall, might be injury prone, and DEFINATELY overrated.

Good list Stu, way to prove your point, maybe they can get you on the radio with Vinny during the draft. That would be a meeting of the minds.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope Atogwe does himself a favor and doesn't sign with the Redskins.

Ashburn is a career killer.

Posted by: NyallsStJohnSmytheIV | February 22, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

By my count, that's 4 players, or in terms of you guy's numbers, D.

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Otogwe- not on team
corner to be named later opposite Hall- not on team
OLB opposite orakpo-not on team
Fletch replacement- not on team
NT-not on team
DE-not on team

Im not sure im getting your math. So we need to replace like half our D with players to be named later...But were not far from competing, 2012?

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

OK, let's say these five players are on the board when the Skins pick at 10:

Prince Amukumara, CB, Nebraska
Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Cameron Jordan, DL, Cal
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Who does Washington take?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Atogwe is 5'11"

Kevin Barnes is 6'1"

Leave Barnes at FS with Moore and Harris as backups, he did a great job at the end of the season. Stop signing other team's stars when they are ready to get their big paycheck and start their decline.

How many times do we have to keep making the same mistake?

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | February 22, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 22, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

151, I think you pump fake taking Newton in an attempt to garner a trade up, however, if nothing happens, and forced to choose:

Cam Jordan, first

Julio Jones

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 22, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes your right. You saying he sucks and that he is no better then Vinny was far more compelling.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 22, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

OK, let's say these five players are on the board when the Skins pick at 10:

Prince Amukumara, CB, Nebraska
Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Cameron Jordan, DL, Cal
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Who does Washington take?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2011 1:35 PM
==========================

Cam Newton if he's there, and Nate Solder if Newton isn't there.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | February 22, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

1. The draft has a lot of good D Linemen

Posted by: beep-beep | February 22, 2011 12:18 PM

16 of the 32 picks in the first RD could be DL/OLB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 22, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

THey should sign atogwe immediately if he works out great....

We need a veteran safety....and one who knows the system in the prime of his career would definitely fill that hole.

Atogwe would be no Archuleta.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | February 22, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Bad news for all you Kalil proponents: CAR franchised him.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 22, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Julio Jones first, Cam Jordan if he's gone.

Posted by: wewbank1 | February 22, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse