Packers QB Aaron Rodgers presents stiff challenge to defense

After sitting behind future Hall of Famer Brett Favre for three years, quarterback Aaron Rodgers finally got his chance to start in 2008.

In his first full season as a starter, Rodgers completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 4,038 yards and 28 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. He had a 93.8 passer rating.

Rogers took another big step forward last season, showing across-the-board improvement: a 64.7 completion percentage, 4,434 yards, 30 touchdowns, only seven interceptions and a 103.2 passer rating.

Through the Packers' first four games this season, Rodgers ranks fourth in the NFL with a 68.9 percent completion percentage and is tied for eighth with a 96.3 passer rating. He has passed for 940 yards with eight touchdowns and five interceptions while leading the Packers (3-1) to a share of the NFC North lead despite the loss of starting running back Ryan Grant, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the season opener against Philadelphia.

Rogers is a complete quarterback, several Redskins defensive players said, and he appreciates the kind words.

"Well, I mean, that's their opinions," Rodgers said in a conference call this week with reporters who cover the Redskins. "Personally, I'd have to say, I'm very honored and flattered by those comments and appreciate those. Any time you get the respect of guys you play against it means a whole lot to you, so I really appreciate that.

"I still have a ways to go to get to where I feel like I can get and really tap into my final potential there. And I'm my own worse critic, so I still feel like I've got a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully, I can make those steps there these next 12 weeks."

Green Bay's coach since 2006, Mike McCarthy has played a key role in Rodgers's development, and "I'll tell ya what, I'm glad he's my quarterback. I do feel strongly about that. He's done an excellent job with everything we've asked.

"He has total command of our offense. He can make all the throws. He's doing a very good job. As far as ranking them [quarterbacks] and so forth, I'll leave that up to you guys [reporters]. I feel good about the season he's started already, but he has room for improvement just like the rest of our football team. So that's exciting from our standpoint."

Early this season, Rodgers and Packers offensive linemen have fared much better than last season in a key area: sacks.

Rodgers and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger each were sacked 50 times last season to lead the NFL. Entering Sunday's game against the Redskins at FedEx Field, Rodgers is tied for 22nd in the league with five sacks. Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler leads the league, having been sacked 17 times. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning has been sacked four times, the league's lowest total.

The Packers' sack totals are down because of "a combination of a couple of things," McCarthy said. "First, we've been able to go all the way through the spring and training camp with the same offensive line. I really feel like we've gelled from a pass-protection standpoint. Just the coordination between the line and the backs and the quarterback, as far as everybody on the same page, trying to handle the different pressures and things the defenses have thrown at us. He's getting the ball out of his hand.

"The in-the-pocket awareness is transferring to the out-of-pocket awareness of when you can and you can't [do something]. He makes a lot of plays with his feet, but sometimes you gotta throw the football away. He's doing a better job of that. And, frankly, the third thing, we just had some just pure one-on-one breakdowns last year earlier in our season where our sack totals just jumped off the chart."

The Redskins are tied for 12th in the league with eight sacks.

By Jason Reid  | October 8, 2010; 12:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth's brother killed in motorcycle crash
Next: Shanahan: Trent Williams should be ready to play; Albert Haynesworth's status undetermiend

Comments

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers presents stiff challenge to defense

So did M Schaub and the Houston Texans.

And but for a goofy 'ice the kicker' time out, we win that game.

We can give up yards and win, in other words.

I say what the Packers can do on defense is more problematic.

We simply don't feature enough weapons to back their defense into a wall.

I say a special teams score and a big time game is needed from a young'n on O this week.

Packers 32

Redskins 21

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

what are the odds Favre faces any punishment from the league?

or is Goodell just going to look the other way?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I presented a young woman with a stiff challenge last night (and this morning).

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

mista,

The Packers defense is missing some key guys we can score on them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

what are the odds Favre faces any punishment from the league?

or is Goodell just going to look the other way?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 8, 2010 12:47 PM |

I saw the photo of his Woodrow Wilson that he sent to that skank.

Trust me, I'd look the other way.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Rogers is a darn good QB already very polished. This article really didn't emphasis how badly he can and will beat teams with his legs. Ran for 4 TDs in 08, 5 tds in 09 and he already has 2 tds on the ground this year. Dude is the complete package, this will be a test for our D.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The guy fumbled ten times in 2009 and ten times in 2008. When the Redskins defenders get to him, they have to tackle the ball. Their tight end makes their offense work, so the defense should key on the tight end. Blitz from his side and man him up with Landry. The receivers are smart veterans so Moore and the corners will need to bring their "A" game. They have no running game so playing the nickel most of the game would help shut down that passing attack. And whatever you do Haslett, don't let Doughty cover anyone other than a slow fullback...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I presented a young woman with a stiff challenge last night (and this morning).

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 12:50 PM
-----------------------------------------
Doing some night and morning tutoring in micro-biology?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Red, maybe your comment about the timing thing is correct. It's just that coming from such an F'd up family situation that turned into a very giving one I immediately wonder about such things when I see them. I guess I just didn't realize that some may mistake my comment as insult as opposed to curiosity about family dynamic. That was definitely short sighted on my part. It really sucks for Albert and family as I can only guess at the pain I would feel at the loss of any of my family blood, adopted, or other.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

flounder21

"The Packers defense is missing some key guys we can score on them."

True.

But maybe points/help will come from unexpected areas as well:

a. BBanks gets a couple of long returns or 'takes one to the house'

(Trivia: name the game and last redskin player to return a punt or kick for a touchdown during a home game.)

b. The defense scores

c. Some young player (Davis/Armstrong/Thomas) steps in on offense, and has a great game.

d. Maybe it's time to 'fake punt' if we have the lead in the 3rd quarter, and the ball is near midfield

e. finally, RTorain continues where he left off in Philthydelphia, and has several big late game runs that 'break' the packers defense.

And out of all of those chances, that final one is what we should all expect.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I think our gameplan should be about the same as last time we played them...

Smack the crap outta the receivers. Threaten the QB.

I know GB's doing really well, but If we pull that off - we have a real shot.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I presented a young woman with a stiff challenge last night (and this morning).

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 12:50 PM
-----------------------------------------
Doing some night and morning tutoring in micro-biology?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 12:59 PM |

No, more like prepping her for an oral exam on schlongology.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:08 PM |

Rock Cartwright?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I think our gameplan should be about the same as last time we played them...

Smack the crap outta the receivers. Threaten the QB.

I know GB's doing really well, but If we pull that off - we have a real shot.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Only thing I'd add is take away Finley.

Make Rogers hold the ball a little longer for something to develop downfield.

Rogers hasn't gotten sacked much because he's getting rid of the ball quick. Not because his line has improved greatly.

Right now Rogers has lower yds per completion than Donovan. Surprising when you compare the receiving corps.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Packers 32
Redskins 21

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 12:45 PM

Just curious moe...how did you come up with the 32?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I presented a young woman with a stiff challenge last night (and this morning).

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 12:50 PM
-----------------------------------------
Doing some night and morning tutoring in micro-biology?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 12:59 PM |

No, more like prepping her for an oral exam on schlongology.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 1:15 PM
------------------------------------------
Be sure ot tell her that it's the little things in life that bring so much joy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

playaction

"Just curious moe...how did you come up with the 32?"

Easy.

I expect all the Packers' points to come from 16 safeties.

Yes, our blocking near our own goal line will be just that bad.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers presents stiff challenge to defense

So did M Schaub and the Houston Texans.

And but for a goofy 'ice the kicker' time out, we win that game.

We can give up yards and win, in other words.

I say what the Packers can do on defense is more problematic.

We simply don't feature enough weapons to back their defense into a wall.

Packers 32

Redskins 21

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 12:45 PM

Yeah, and Romo was supposed to light us up. He didn't.

Last week, Vick was supposed to crack the end zone multiple times with his arms and his legs. The only thing he cracked were his ribs.

You never know what you'll get from one week to the next in the NFL...especially with all these Jekyll and Hyde teams in the NFC East.

I'd be more worried about the Packers if we got 'em in Week 1. In Week 5, they look overrated (especially by me...I had 'em going 14-2) and depleted by injuries. Hell, even the backups filling in for injured starters are getting hurt! If the Redskins offense takes advantage of those holes, only a massive defensive collapse will stop us from winning that game. Hopefully, we'll see the defense we saw last week instead of the one you alluded to in Week 2.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

1) We need to run the ball effectively to sustain drives and keep Rodgers off the field and getting into a rhythm.

2) On defense I hope we can have a grief-stricken AH going berserk in some regular 4-3 looks with AC 99 & Rak as a hands-down DEs, get pressure with a 4-man rush. The secondary/LBs dropping into zone, perhaps force a mistake or 2 from Rodgers.

Posted by: p1funk | October 8, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

What's the likelyhood that NE inquires about and trades for Devin Thomas? Skins need picks and NE has a ton, don't they?

Posted by: joeyndan | October 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Packers 32

Redskins 21

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 12:45 PM |

Another one of them Peterbilt trolls. A Cow or Eag fan trash talking on a Skins website.

MistaMoe = MistaMole

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeyndan | October 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

None.

Just guessing, but there are probably 100 WR in the NFL that the Patriots would try to trade for before considering DT11.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I think to win skins will need to be at least +2 in turnover differencial

Posted by: chrislarry | October 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

***Non-Football-Maybe-Controversial-Post***

Scamp, really don't see anything wrong with what you said, for the record. Just was sayin' how people can be offended, whether justifiably or unjustifiably at the slightest comment or action. There have been a ton within the last few weeks to pick from. I hate the political correctness that goes on today and how you have to walk on eggshells for everyone. You should be able to say what you like as long as you don't directly offend anyone in question. Usually that is done with respect, understanding, and class.

Anyway it's a small offense in comparison to what you have said to "some" up here... But that's neither here nor there.

And by the way, it isn't like you went 'Mike Florio' with what you had to say. Talk about a classless deuchetip. And what makes it worse is that just last week he goes bible thumping rant (no offense) on religion and how he's a believer and whatnot then today takes an necessary barb at Haynesworth in the wake of his brother's death. Way for Florio to dispel some of the beliefs that people have concerning any religion and the sincerity of it's followers.

Good to see they were setting his ass straight in the comment section.

***/Non-Football-Maybe-Controversial-Post***

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

NE is going to trade Mankins for VJack. Only way DT plays for another team this year is if we cut him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 8, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

Amen, reverend, aman.

I've seen chunks of the packers v. lions/bears, and have come to the conclusion that they can be run on.

Thing is, no one does.

Hopefully, we will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Easy.
I expect all the Packers' points to come from 16 safeties.
Yes, our blocking near our own goal line will be just that bad.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:23 PM

But the defense pitches a shutout...nice!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Make Rogers hold the ball a little longer ...

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 8, 2010 1:18 PM |

Fo shizzle my nizzle! He finally gets a pick for Crissakes.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The Packers defense is missing some key guys we can score on them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it almost seems like half their defense is injured. The offense MUST take advantage.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I would like to talk Skins, but curious- 1) what did Favre do that could warrant leage discipline and 2) what did Florio say?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Now, Rodgers is considered among the game's elite quarterbacks. He leads a Green Bay Packers passing attack that "is just crazy with all them guys that can stretch the field," Redskins quarterback Carlos Rogers said. "But it all starts with him [Rodgers]. He's up there, top three or four in the league."

im just glad carlos rodgers is our new quarterback. who is this mcnabb guy?

Posted by: jeromebaker | October 8, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 8, 2010 1:37 PM |

Sandy Eggo wants some of them picks the Pats have, they don't want no over-the-hill OL dude.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeyndan | October 8, 2010 1:29 PM

About as likely as "likelyhood" being a correct spelling.

The difference between the Pats and Skins is that they stockpile picks while we trade them away. DT isn't enough of an asset to reverse that trend.

Besides...if a cinch HoF WR goes for a 3rd rounder, what do you think DT is worth?

If you guessed pocket lint, then the answer is 'yes'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that New England has 2 picks in the 2011 1st, 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounds? I don't like the Pats, but dang I have to respect how they run that organization.

Any update on T-Willie? We need ya, Silverback!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I presented a young woman with a stiff challenge last night (and this morning).

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 12:50 PM
-----------------------------------------
Doing some night and morning tutoring in micro-biology?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 12:59 PM |

No, more like prepping her for an oral exam on schlongology.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 1:15 PM
------------------------------------------
Be sure ot tell her that it's the little things in life that bring so much joy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 1:20 PM |

Dude, I'm Italian. Why do you keep assuming I'm Asian?

Is that the first instinct you have? Referring to another man's endowment or essentially hoping they are as less-gifted as yourself?

I'm thinking yes.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM |

Dude - it's just rent for .75 of a season for Crissakes.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Packers QB Aaron Rodgers presents stiff challenge to defense"

Are we sure the the 'Skins defense wants Rodgers to present a stiff challenge to them?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 8, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

FartzD

MistaMoe = MistaMole

I'm sorry I worship at the church of reality.

And I'm not a troll.

I just don't expect the two teams I follow religiously (Yanks/Skins) to win week in and week out.

(In fact, I'm a Yankees fan who believes the team won't win the World Series because of its erratic pitching.)

Honest fans aren't trolls, my friend, just honest.

I really want the redskins to beat the packers.

But hey, I know the skins are a flawed team trying to get on a roll, and so, I see Green Bay coming to town to take advantage of various weaknesses we have is all.

If we win Sunday, I'm the happiest guy all day Monday.

But the last thing I ever want to do is believe so much in my favorite teams that I don't see straight.

'Cuz you don't.

I hope I'm wrong about about Sunday.

But I know I'm right about your trifling insult.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Italians have little wieners.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

If you guessed pocket lint, then the answer is 'yes'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

as funny as it is accurate. namely, very much so on both counts. DT to the Pats would be an un-Bellichek thing to do. We may be able to get a 5th rounder for him, but it ain't gonna be from NE

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

That t u r d Florio is now boasting about his remarks about Albert Haynesworth:

UPDATE: Many of you have taken exception to my decision to point out the reckless nature in which Haynesworth has operated motorized vehicles. I make no apology for my comment. Every time someone drives a motorcycle, car, or boat at a high rate of speed, that person endangers his own life and, more importantly, the lives of others. The behavior also potentially sets a horrible example for young, impressionable family members. Albert Haynesworth has a history of driving too fast. He has caused at least one serious accident (allegedly) because of it. The death of his brother -- and of everyone who has died under such circumstances -- becomes even more tragic because such deaths are entirely avoidable. If any good can come out of this situation, it will be that Haynesworth and everyone who hears of the circumstances surrounding the death of Lance McCoy will resolve to not drive at high rates of speed.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Any update on T-Willie? We need ya, Silverback!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM |

Hey, here's an update on Willie-P: dude is sitting on the throne taking a real slow dump.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If that was Farve..
1. He has NO game
2. She's average at best
3. Now we know why he wears the #4 and why I was #9.

But there is no way that was him, nobody with such shortcomings is sending pics of their little member.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 8, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Any update on T-Willie? We need ya, Silverback!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 1:44 PM |

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:55 PM |

So he's lost speed there too?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:53 PM |

MistaMoe = MistaMoFo

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 8, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"shizzle my nizzle"???

Who talks that way anymore?

"Say whhhhat?", get out here with that "jive biz". That ain't "dynamite" these days, "baby". This be the new day. You gotta come up with something more "funkadelic" and "groovy" Basically what I'm sayin' "jive turkey" is be "hip to the groove" "Keep on keepin' on" and don't be such a "square". Okay, "keep it tight" ight "Hommie G Funk"?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Hello shaunsherman12,
Is your beef with scampbell for asking if any of us noticed the three last names?

Or is your beef with Rick Maese for informing all of us of Albert's unfortunate upbringing?

This is why I mentioned it was Rick Maese who determined to notify all of us with this information...

"Darwin wins?" You connecting Darwin w/ lack of class? Or perhaps saying Dawin was right, we are not the highest form of creation, but merely all animals who descended from common matter?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 8, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

------------
RedskinRay1,

You may have misunderstood who I was commenting to, and assessed to comments to me that were not mine.

I was responding to the "Darwin wins!" comment, since I took it to be a joke at the brother for having died via reckless operation of a motorcycle. The joke being the dumbest of us don't survive.

Though it is sad that this young man died in such a way, this isn't the time for jokes, or morals, or lessons. I also wonder if this person would have the guts to make that comment in front of AH.

I sincerely doubt it.

By the way, what a jerk Florio is. Now he seems to think he's in the right to point out that AH has driven recklessly.

Mr. Florio: My 3 year old has a better understanding of "there is a time and a place for everything" than you do.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 8, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

werd up, RedD.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm wrong about about Sunday.

But I know I'm right about your trifling insult.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Please Hammer, don't hurt em.

I appreciate you removing the rose colored glasses for your unbiased analysis, something I struggle with mightily as it pertains to the Maroon and Black. I see Sunday's tilt as a true pick em- 2 solid QBs, both teams missing their franchise tailback, both have been inconsistent on defense so far this year. We for sure need to run the ball effectively and keep AR off the field (even tho he is my fantasy QB) and create a TO or 2.

Skins 24-21, Gano redeems himself late in the 4th for the Texans debacle.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | October 8, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085

"The offense MUST take advantage."

The advantage I'd try to take is unleashing CC/FD in the center of the field since NCollins is out.

I'd also set SMoss up to make more plays in centerfield as well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are the kind of team that beats Dallas and Philly, but loses badly to the Rams. In keeping with tradition, we play to the level of our competition.

So we will beat Green Bay. We will run it down their throats early, then go vertical on them...and then hang on as GB rallies furiously in the 4th Q. Fasten your seat belts.

Posted by: lemming | October 8, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemming | October 8, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeyndan | October 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Considering BB tends to favor intelligent players who can quickly/easily pick up his scheme/system (even if they are not the most physically talented/gifted players in the world); I'd say that young Devin (being a phsycially gifted player who is too dumb to pick up schemes/systems) probably wouldn't fit the bill.

Posted by: p1funk | October 8, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"......Redskins quarterback Carlos Rogers said....."
Genius move; if he can't catch interceptions, he won't throw any either.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | October 8, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse