Packers tight end Jermichael Finley is a difficult matchup

Third-year tight end Jermichael Finley is an emerging star for Green Bay.

Through three games, the former University of Texas standout has 21 receptions for 301 yards (a 14.3-yard average) with one touchdown. Finley's performance has been among the keys to the Packers (3-1) sharing the NFC North lead with the Chicago Bears through the first four games.

"Having Jermichael Finley be more of an every-down player [this season] really gives the defense some issues, as far as how they want to attack us," Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "It takes a percentage of the blitzing down, knowing that if you do bring pressure, you're going to have one of those guys [usually a linebacker] in a one-on-one with a tight end like Jermichael Finley."

Listed at 6-feet-5 and 247 pounds, the athletic Finley is a major matchup problem.

Linebackers often struggled to cover Finley last season when he had 55 receptions for 676 yards (a 12.3-yard average) and scored five touchdowns.

And so far this season, Finley has taken things to a higher level. He already has two games with at least 103 yards receiving.

"He's a special talent for us and a guy we've got to find ways to get the ball to," Rodgers said. "It's interesting. In the first four weeks, he's really been the main focus of teams playing us. They're trying to find ways to get two guys on him, a high and a low guy, and inside and an outside guy.

"They're trying to take him out of our offense because they know how important he is to the flow of our offense. Getting him the ball really creates some great things for us and also some matchup issues if you do try to double him. I think that's just a compliment to him and his hard work and really how much he means to this offense and what type of fear he strikes in opposing defenses."

Many players take big steps forward in their third years, and Finley is right on schedule, Packers Coach Mike McCarthy said.

"I think Jermichael is really starting to take off," he said. "He's really playing at top-notch form. He's off to a great start. Physically, he's been able to develop another year. I think that's pretty common as you see athletes go through the NFL.

"After that first and second year, they get into that third year ... and physically, he's a different player than he was two years ago. I think he's playing at a high level."

By Jason Reid  | October 8, 2010; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: If Albert Haynesworth doesn't play, how would Redskins adjust?
Next: Packers cornerback Charles Woodson in fine form, despite pain

Comments

"After that FIRST and second year, they get into that third year ... and physically, he's a different player than he was two years ago. I think he's playing at a high level."

Hopefully Fred Davis will get into that third year also.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

NPI,
Anytime someone as young as 23 dies it's a tragedy. To mock a member of his family because you don't like the way they contribute to your favorite football team says all we need to know about you. So I won't wish anything bad on you. Your own misery inspired your comment. And your miserable life is pay-back enough.

Hey Red, Wassup!!!!

Posted by: mack1 | October 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

They'll have the same problem with us.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Allright folks, this is game #5. Through the first 4 we have seen the team start to pick up some of the playbook and the defense start to come together a little. What I look for in the second quarter is for the team to start to put these things together in a single game. It would also be nice if they could put together full games. This team should individually have their roles pretty much down by now. Now I would expect them to familiarize themselves with the workings of the unit as a whole. Once that familiarization is there I would expect the unit to perform with more cohesion than they have to this point. To me this is the logical progression of a team that has new systems, players, and coaches all around. The 2 issues I see are the personnel to run the schemes and the oline. With all the switching around on the oline it must be hard for them to form any sort of cohesion or to "gel" as it is usually said. Thoughts?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2010 3:27 PM
-------------------------------------------
I think you can throw in that there isn't a complete playbook yet. Usually, a big portion of the plays are tailored to personnel and I believe that is a work in progress. You can see they had some plays set up for Banks in particular last week, but plays for Banks are obviously about speed. What do the other guys bring to the table and how do you use those strengths? I think this continues to develop. When I see Washington's offense, I see missing pieces. You can't make a lot of second half adjustments if you are limited on the plays you can call. Think about what plays we have seen. Have you seen many... draw plays? 4 receiver sets? end arounds or reverses? fullback running plays? I think they have kept things simple for a team learning a new offense and there just isn't enough in the playbook right now. It is gradually changing, however. The plays for Banks that I used as an example show there is some new stuff creeping in.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 3:39 PM |

Good point. So how long does it take to get the whole paybook in? The year? Half?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

30 lay'emout.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

30 lay 'em out!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Lots open 45 hours before kickoff now? I shoulda kept my tickets!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I haven't left since the Texans game...been drinkin Scaheffer in a dumpster since Gano missed the 52 yarder

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:45 PM

Good thing for you that Danny installed WiFi in all of the dumpsters this offseason...bad thing for you is that he is charging your account $2.99 per minute.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

NPI,
Anytime someone as young as 23 dies it's a tragedy. To mock a member of his family because you don't like the way they contribute to your favorite football team says all we need to know about you. So I won't wish anything bad on you. Your own misery inspired your comment. And your crappy life is pay-back enough.

Hey Red, Wassup!!!!

Posted by: mack1 | October 8, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I wish bin Laden had died at 23. But I feel ya man. And for the record, my post on this wasn't saying that it's not tragic. I said he wasn't the victim of a tragedy- this was a self-made tragedy. I hope this unfortunate event can make Albert realize what's important and what's not, and that he comes back soon and rededicated. I guess according to Mr. Shuttle that makes me an a$$clwon.

I'm done talking about this.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of tough matchups, Raji at NT is a tough one for CRabach. He struggles against big strong fast NT's. Has anyone watched Packers earlier games. HOw is Raji playing?

Posted by: frediefritz | October 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm done talking about this.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:53 PM

Me too...I knew AH was going to be a distraction.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

So that's why Papa John's declined my delivery...I thought it was geographic discrimination. Someone throw some leftovers in the dumpster at the southernmost dumpster in the Orange Lot? Appreciate it.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

In our favor, both OT's (Tauscher-shoulder & Clifton-knee) are dinged. Tauscher will probably be questionable to play. Might work for us to bring ACarter and BRak on passing downs.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 8, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:53 PM

Good because you weren't making any more sense with each successive post.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 8, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

They'll have the same problem with us.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2010 3:41 PM
------------------------------
exactly...twice the problem...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

mack maine, what up homie?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Re-post***

A few things some people here aren't understanding:

1) There is a difference between football and a loss of life. I thought that went with out saying... guess I was wrong. There isn't a need to associate indiscretions made within football to that of the loss of a loved one. To think so is narrow minded and irrational at best.

2) Although acting in a reckless and senseless manner, driving at top speed on the road when not intentionally wanting to cause harm to others, doesn't mean the man deserved to die. Driving your vehicle at a high rate of speed isn't the most egregious act known to man. Yes, he could've killed someone with his actions. Correction, he did -- himself. Isn't that enough? Why talk as if he commited the acts with the most vile and evil intentions? And not to excuse his actions, but he was only 23. Most people that age feel invincible and have little to no regard for their actions and how they impact others -- or themselves. Sadly this young man had to find out the hard way.

3) No one is saying lets head down to Ashburn and hold a candlelight vigil for Haynesworth and his brother, but goddamn, given the situation I think people would know when to be critical and judgmental and when not to be. Again, I guess I was wrong. YEAH, Everyone has GOT TO BE a cynic AT ALL TIMES. EVERYONE has to be judgmental all the time and come off as holier than thou. No compassion, no sympathy, no fhucking humility for anyone but themselves ANYMORE in this world! I'm tellin' you, there is no way there can be more good than evil in this world. Everyone is out for theirs, everyone is all about "self", everyone would spitefully sh*t on the next man if he thought he could gain the SLIGHTEST advantage!

--------------------------------------------------------
There is a time and place for everything. Pretty sure if you had a loved one who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and ultimately end up succumbing to lung cancer, you wouldn't to hear about how "stupid they were" and how "they had it coming" hours after their death or at their funeral. Even though it may have validity to it and come off as honest brutal truth, in the wake of death there is an appropriate time for astringent or contentious comments.

***/End Re-post***

Done with this topic as well. Not saying that I'm trying to change minds here, but when it comes to morals, values, and ethics its obvious that it varies from person to person and that people are gonna be the way they're gonna be. What's the point in debating it?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone that has any other feeling than condolences for AH and his family is a heartless bastard."

Okay, so I'm a heartless bastard.

I'm the guy who laughs at documentaries about starving kids in 3rd world countries.

Like Rick Sanchez, I find humor and doubt in the plight of Jews.

Emmitt Till's lynched and beaten coffin image from 50 years ago is my screen saver.

On weekend where there's no sports, I go to the animal pound, pull up a chair, drink kool aid, and watch as dogs are put to sleep.

Yes: I'm that heartless.

But I also have have a keen eye for irony.

The loss of Albert Haynesworth's brother may re-frame his life is multiple ways, all for the positive.

He created a distance between himself and his team earlier in the year with this actions.

Perhaps now, he'll take even more steps to close that gap.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | October 8, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

***/End Re-post***

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse
__________

Very well put.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | October 8, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: wireman65 | October 8, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps now, he'll take even more steps to close that gap.
Posted by: gimmesummoe | October 8, 2010 4:14 PM

Why, because his brother was killed in a MVA? You're not making any more sense with each successive post either. First, none of use truly knows what is relationship is with his teammates today. Nor do we have enough insight into his psyche to speculate on how this incident will affect his future behavior. We don't even know if he liked his younger brother. In any event, it does appear that he loves his momma and he's probably more concerned about how she's feeling rather than all that other sjk y'all are talking.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmesummoe | October 8, 2010 4:14 PM

Oh how soon we are to forget, are we?

You had a family member pass away recently.

You felt the need to directly or indirectly mention it to the rest of us here.

You were showered with condolences and sympathetic remarks and how you and your family were kept in regard for the time being.

Although not one comes to mind, no one mentioned any "irony" in the passing of your family member (in-law or what have you). No one mentioned their transgressions, or whatever else, yet you feel the need to with Haynesworth and the passing of his brother? Why?

I guess it's a little to much to ask for you to reciprocate some of the same respect and subtleness that you were shown huh, Moe?

Wow, FHUCKING WOW!

The ol' "If it ain't me, then it don't matter" mentality coming to light on this board with some today. Those who do conduct themselves as such: Take a fhucking bow. You're fhucking awesome. NO, SERIOUSLY you really are.

Have a brilliant weekend everyone.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

First, condolences to Albert and his family. No way to sugar coat any of it. It sucks on every level possible.

Still, it could effect Albert and the relationships Albert has with other people in his life. People rethink who their your friends and who are their enemies.

If there is to be a full turning point in the relationship between Albert and Shanahan, this is the sort of thing that can change. A terrible price to pay, I hope there are some silver linings.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 8, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse