Party Like A Rock Star, West Coast Style

Diddy, one of the OGs on this blog and the official West Coast Culture, Starlets and Booze correspondent for RI, is organizing a bash for Friday night in Seattle, home to Hendrix, Cobain, Sir Mix-a-Lot, Queensryche, Heart ... and my personal favorite of the bunch, Mudhoney.

Diddy has long been representing up here and I'm looking forward to meeting him this weekend. Also, our other esteemed OG from the Pacific Northwest, Nate in the PDX, is locked in deep negotiations with his wife, league sources said, trying to break free of familial duties to join us for this drink-a-thon. This is one of the subplots to the Skins/Hawks game I am following most closely, and will definitely provide any breaking news on the Nate front throughout the week.

I figure some of you out there might be making the haul out to Seattle, and Diddy has provided some details of where we'll be gathering.

Diddy writes:

Happy New Year, fellow hamsters!

The big day is nearly upon us. As promised, I'm hosting a little shindig for any and all members of Redskins Nation to come by and pre-party the night before. Whether you're a local Seattleite or a fan making the trek to the cold, dark, wet Pacific Northwest, come on by, drink up, and sing a few rounds of "Hail to the Redskins". We'll all be at Suite 410 in downtown Seattle at 10pm on Friday night. It's a great, gorgeous bar and close to all the hotels, for those traveling in.

Much love,

-PDiddy

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 2, 2008; 6:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Blog - John
Next: Walk Through

Comments

Jasno, given the time difference and the fact that you'll be working an early game Saturday, I recommend a good nap, with a wake-up call.

You know, to prevent a N'awlins sleep-on-through-to-the-other-side redux.

Pop an Ambien when you board the flight, maybe.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

What is the drink of choice in Seattle? Do they have a local brew?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, but I bet it tastes like coffee.

Posted by: daggar | January 2, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey, did I miss "not guy" exposing him- or herself?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of partying like a rock star...

BTW, did anyone watch Dick Clark's Production of the 'Rockin New Years Eve'? That's why Ryan Seacreast was at the game this past Sunday.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 2, 2008 06:35 AM

I had to turn it off at 12:02 when Dick and Ryan had what promised to be a deep, engaging conversation about just how dadburned quickly they can clear these here streets of all the confetti.
This is no way to start a new year.

Posted by: daggar | January 2, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Be sure to take pics!

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 2, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

DC really needs to do something better then we do for New Years.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Bring a camera for WaPost live, it sounds like a great segment for TV.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Ok, a blog about on a party invite in Seattle from a faux PDiddy or P Diddy wannabe? How lame?

This particular message blog isn't on cruise control for the holidays but has gone right down the sewer.

Posted by: heisted547 | January 2, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

So is your plan to party all the way through to the game and get a nap in the first half?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

"Skinsfest" sounds dirty
Regret missing Java bash
(Tho liver gives thanks)

Posted by: HaikuMan | January 2, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

So if we win does that officially make Gibbs a better head coach then Parcells? They both would have gotten to the playoffs 2 times in 4 years, Bill is 0-2 and Joe is 1-1 already.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Oh PDitty are you gonna bring your play station and do a madden contest with everyone playing as the redskins?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

LMGO!

Posted by: jm220 | January 2, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

heisted547, thanks for the reminder that we do tend to get a little too insiderish up here sometimes. (I am certainly guilty of this.)

"P Diddy" is the nickname of one of the regular commenters on this blog. He's a Redskin fan who lives in Seattle. He's hosting a party on Friday night for Skins fans who might be in town for the game.

You would be welcome to attend if you're going to be there. So would anybody else. That's why this was posted here.

Cheers.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully that was a joke from Heisted... hopefully.

Great to have the serious representation in the PacNW... Seattle does not want to see us! Nor does Dallas or Green Bay... Retribution all over the place!

Hail!

Posted by: Zebraskins | January 2, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Diddy-

A) Is Barno and his crew welcome to join you (provided he doesn't bash JLC)?
B) What are you guys doing for tickets? Ebay, craigslist, stub hub?

Barno out.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 2, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

duh, that should read "ARE Barno and his crew"...

Posted by: Barno1 | January 2, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Sunday's win still has me glowing but Saturday's game already has knots growing in my stomach.

I can't wait... and just wish I had a fellow fan to watch the game with!

Anyone in Boston watching the game somewhere?

Posted by: psummers | January 2, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeahawkSam | January 2, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I already have my biggest regret of 2008, that I won't be at this party!!!! Sounds amazing....

F heisted547 what a tool

Barno has to be there!

Mudhoney rulz
Queensrythe droolz

but for this week...F MUDHONEY!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Barno, are you referring to yourself in the third person now??

Diddy posted that as an open invitation, come one, come all. You and your crew should definitely roll over there, dude!

Some of the guys bought tix on stubhub, I believe.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Everybody says
You must have lost your head
Well, one more time is good enough for me
Yeah, one more time is good enough for me

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 2, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeahawkSam | January 2, 2008 09:18 AM

Facials on dead fish? Seahag fans are into beastiality? Just cause it's dark all day doesn't mean you have to resort to dead fish! Get ready for the end of the greatest period of seahags football. By that I mean losing in the playoffs every year and losing 1 superbowl!

Posted by: puttinforbird | January 2, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

:( nate, let me talk to mrs. nate. i gurantee you she'll say yes. i'll make her an offer she won't be able to refuse.

and unfortunately i'll be 3000 miles away in a tiny little room by my lonesome cheering my team on against a team with weird colors.

also skins should wear burgandy on burgandy with burgandy helmets. and when the shehawks see the skins come all they'll see is RED. tiger wears RED on sundays too. and so do the peeps in 300.

Posted by: dealer | January 2, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"You folks may want to check out Pike Street Market. Check out the facials on all those dead fish; that's remarkably how your 'Skins will look when all is said and done...."

and so it begins...

Posted by: psps23 | January 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Whose paying the tab?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

what's up skins freaks. where is the victory party going to be. I cannot make it until saturday bofore the game, but I want to celabrate a victory ,god and sean willing, with the best fans in the NFL. I am flying from Ft. Wayne, IN and my mom is meeting me at O'Hare from Myrtle Beach for the flight to the great northwest. Never been there but can't wait. Destiny awaits and I want to be apart of it. Final score I predict will be 35-14. Hail to the redskins.

Posted by: sodier1 | January 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Whose paying the tab?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 2, 2008 09:53 AM

Maybe Seahawk Sam can get his friends at said bar to make a wager...

How many skins fans will be there?

Posted by: Zebraskins | January 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

sodier1, you should have no trouble picking out fellow Skins fans to celebrate with after the game. They'll be the happy people in burgundy and gold, with their heads held high; the other people will be wearing, and feeling, blue.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow, if Seahawk Sam and the other tool wrote any more incoherent drivel, I would swear that they are related to our good friend and cowpie fan "Kool-aide-boy". Where's he been lately anyhow? Typical.

Skins fans are confident now because the Skins are on a roll, plain and simple, so yeah, they will bring some butter for you Sam.....
Coming on here and talking smack is always great, but it needs to be intelligent, otherwise you just look like a tool. Calling us pathetic is just plain dumb. Many of us have been die hard Skins fans for longer than there has been a Seattle Seahawks. Referencing 05 as a basis for the Seagulls getting a win is just dumb too; both teams are pretty different than they were 2 years ago. You won't be facing Brunell this time. I guess the Supersonics are gonna kick the Bullets butts again this year too, just like back in 79. Have fun living in the past with your NFC championship ring. Did they make an "America's Game - the Super Bowl Champions" about that 05 Seahawks team? Wonder why not......

Posted by: dlhaze | January 2, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

soldier1, you'll be hearing us signing hail to the redskins all over seattle! Sort of like the batman light.

Posted by: puttinforbird | January 2, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

There is a reason the Seahawks get no respect in the press, its because winning the NFC West is = to wining in the AFL2.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh and before you go talking about the Skins getting lucky or backing in while the Seahawks clinched 3 weeks ago, which no doubt you will, let's look at some numbers:

NFC East 40 wins - 25 losses, 3 teams in the playoffs
NFC West 26 Wins - 38 losses, one team in
How did you ever win that division? Rough road to the playoffs....you had to play San Fran, the Rams, and Seattle twice. Yeah we're scared.

Posted by: dlhaze | January 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Ooops, I meant Arizona twice. Not that there's much difference.

Posted by: dlhaze | January 2, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Any team from the NFC East would go 12-4 or better in the NFC West schedule.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow, is anyone else struggling with the "get up and get back to work" thing? Yikes. Spent last night on the mountain boarding because I wanted one last taste of goofing off and doing nothing. I'm sore and cranky this morning :-(

To answer a couple of questions:

1. All are welcome to the party. It's a tiny bar, but it's one of my home bars. They make stiff as heck drinks. I only have two rules about partying: a) don't be a jerk and b) tip your bartender well. Remember, you're in Seahawks territory, so act appropriately. Stay classy!

2. Barno, you are definitely welcome.

3. You're on your own for the tab :-) I'm crazy, not nuts.

4. I'm hosting a party because I love this little community and I'm more than curious how far and wide its impact is. It's more than a little nerdy to be up here posting all the time, and I'm getting no small amount of grief from my friends over it. But it has been a great way to reconnect with my "roots" in DC and with folks who share a common interest that is very important to me. Besides, there's solidarity in numbers :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow...why are the tickets so cheap for the game on StubHub?!?

For the Dallas game they were like $250 minimum last I checked. For this PLAYOFF game there are seats for $100 (and not just the auction ones).

Posted by: washingtonpost | January 2, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Both are Bird teams that went from classic/timeless looking uniforms of their beginnings to the flash and fizzle uniforms of the early 21st century. While were at it so did the Falcons.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, that was a great win at the weekend.

I told Mrs Todd (Red) coat "I have to watch to try to bring the Redskins luck" and she was actually appreciative of my doing so. It's the first weekend this year that I've not gotten flak for being a Fins fan!

Good luck with the game in rainytown, I'd love to join you all out there but I hate Seattle with an abiding passion; it's filled with arrogant miserablists - Diddy excepted of course!

I wonder how many more weeks I'll be keeping the new nickname for?

And have Lisa and Ricky Bobby set their date for a date yet? :-)

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea how I'm going to be able work this week!!!!!!

Posted by: sodier1 | January 2, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea how I'm going to be able work this week!!!!!!

Posted by: sodier1 | January 2, 2008 10:39 AM

Drunk?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I didn't think of that

Posted by: sodier1 | January 2, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

And now I'll try to bring some sports-related gravitas to this thread....

Esteemed CynCyty, if Tenorio is stuck without anything to do this week, there's a real humdinger of a competition building up in Division 3A of the Dulles Sportsplex Tuesday Night Over 35's Soccer League, with my team needing one more win to squeak into the playoffs after a slow start, where we will also move on to ultimate victory.

When are we going to get some of that fabled WaPo Loudoun sports coverage?

We kid because we love....

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The really funny thing about Seahawk Sam's comments is that this is actually good trash talking from a Seattleite. People up here are miserable sports fans, total bandwagoneers, and will drop this Seahawks team like a bad habit if they were to suddenly start losing. Of course, in that division, they have no choice but to go above .500 every year with that talent.

Personally, I like the Seahawks. I think Coach Holmgren is a classy dude, with an obvious winning pedigree. The players are very dignified, and the one social misfit they had (Jerramy Stevens) is no longer here. It's a good bunch of "character" guys, very similar to our beloved 'Skins.

That said, in the spirit of ChrisLarry, for this week:

F the Seahawks.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

F a bunch of Seahawks.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

If I had to get one Mudhoney album, which would it be?

Somehow missed them in my grunge years...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I often wonder why so many small local sports don't get coverage. Woman's Football for example. Also why had Ultimate Frisbee yet to take off as a professional sport? They have little tournaments here and there but nothing like a League with home teams ect.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the Seahawks also have a similar succession plan to the 'Skins. Jim Mora II is the obvious choice to replace Holmgren. Like Man Boobs, he was an impetuous, arrogant coach who has benefited greatly from working for a HOF or future HOF coach.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I think I've answered my "how will I get back to work?" question by posting 5 times in 15 minutes up here.

I love you RI, I will never quit you.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"Happy New Year, peeps. (That would have been an ideal spot for a ! if i had not resolved to eschew them this year. No emoticons, either.) ..."

Posted by: TheCindy | January 1, 2008 02:33 PM

Coach CynCyty, if television has taught me one thing (and who's kidding who ... I have a graduate degree in tube), its that an interjection is "set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point! or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong" ... ah the good old days ... Reginald at home with the flu, Geraldine played hard to get, the score was tied at seven all ...

Also, I have no fear of Seattle's 12th man. Skins have something like five key starters/rotators on the IR ... so our 17th man (plus Men numbers 18-25) are still going to tackle mouths ... not to mention Out Todding those passive aggressive, latte snorting, umbrella toting, SneezeHawks!

p.s. to Nate, whatEVER you do, make sure that your wife refuses dealer's unrefusable offer!

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. F the hawks. Also, F the Giants. I would rather not have to see them again. The win in Jersey was a good one, but we caught a few breaks and they dropped alot of passes. They looked really tough the other night against the Pats. I would rather play Dallas and then Green Bay or Tampa for some revenge.

Posted by: dlhaze | January 2, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I always worry that the succession of Gibbs2 will end up like it did in Gibbs 1

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Assistant coaches league-wide are taking heavy artillery today, including that Ryan boy from Oakland (off to be DC with Mangini). I wonder whether the Skins are going to be able to hang onto all of their position coaches and "other" coaches, esp. Don Breaux.

In other news, mrs dcsween got her babydady an iPod for his birthday last month!

- Overblown, Mudhoney

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Ditto Diddy on the hard to work tip.....

Diddy get The MH album, Every Good Boy Deserves....

Here is bio link:

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Also why had Ultimate Frisbee yet to take off as a professional sport?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 2, 2008 10:46 AM

And have Congress get all up in our business and screw up our existing mandatory drug policy (dude, want another brownie?) and random testing methods (hey man, have you had a hit of this)?

No thanks :)

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 2, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I dunno. Petitbon was the wrong personality for a team that needed to rebuild badly on the verge of the salary cap era. He loved the guys who got them the Super Bowl wins, when, in reality, he had to remake the roster from top to bottom.

I LOVE listening to Man Boobs talk after games. He's professional and philosophical at the same time. He's not afraid to go "inside football" for those of us who like that sort of thing, but he peppers everything he says with some excellent philosophical musings. I think he's going to be a star as a head coach and only hope he doesn't leave early during the offseason. How can you be such a brilliant football mind and at the same time not learn something about leadership from St. Joe?

As for succession plans...the only thing I fear is Norv Part Deux. We give Norv lots of crap up here, but remember he had a winning team in 1999. Had "Mr." Snyder not meddled with that roster, the Brad Johnson-led 'Skins could have been pretty special. Oh well...we'll never know...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Also Mudhoney's first EP Bigmuff Superfuzz and first full length "Mudhoney" are classics.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I interviewd Mudhoney one time, have always loved them and one time got so drunk at a show of theirs that I puked in their drum casings and passed out on the subway and rode from the Bronx to Brooklyn and back for 6 hours (and lived, and kept wallet)

BUTT

This week....F MUDHONEY!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Clearly, chrislarry is the only natural successor to Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"Esteemed CynCyty, if Tenorio is stuck without anything to do this week, there's a real humdinger of a competition building up in Division 3A of the Dulles Sportsplex Tuesday Night Over 35's Soccer League"

Shouldn't he be covering the Lisa/RB date night train wreck, or would this be better done by the Date Lab guys? Sample copy teaser:

They insult and belittle each other in a sports blog, but will putting a face to each other's name (and granny panties) prove that opposites do attract?

Adam

PS Lisa/RB, I expect nothing less than a guest column from both of you on the evening. Consider it RI's version of He Said/She Said.

Posted by: argh | January 2, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

DateLab coverage would be hilarious.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

PDid, thanks for the invite, but I wont be making it there, rather I'll be cheering on the Skins from home.

Saturday can't get here quick enough....

ITWT(In Todd We Trust)

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

chrislarrY, there is a tune that always reminds me of F'ing cL ... "New York, New York" by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom.

Also, late to the show on Soups1 trying to diss Lisa ... what is it with peeps picking on Lisa shortly after going from "longtime lurker, first time poster" to semi-regular? sam3 just pulled that last week. I'm no jm220 (closer to 190), but as a Lisa fan, I just don't get how/why semi-regularism blossoms into aggressive negativity. F clean sheets!

Its been said before plenty, but I also want to add to the lovefest for the roster guys formerly known as depth ... Doughty, Godfrey, Torrence, Heyer, Fabini (even though he started ALMOST every game, technically he is depth behind Randy T), and esp. Chris Wilson. One of my new favorite overplayed clips is his BIG sack for both a loss of yards and a hurt on Romo, followed by the sideline shot of Romo throwing a fit on the sidelines. Loving Chris Wilson.

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting so nervous about this game... After Sean died I was dejected, didn't even really look at the blog and actually didn't watch the Chicago game, perhaps the first game I haven't watched in over 10 years.

I've watched all the subsequent games but what began as a sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament has turned into a positive approach. Instead of hand wringing waiting to fail, i have unwaivering belief.

Skins 21-10. HTTR

Posted by: Skinz | January 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

PDid, ditto on the coolness of arranging the premier RI gig ... which is looking to be better attended than any RI night actually in DC. I'm jealous to say the littlest. [Took me a few reads to figure out that Suite 410 is a bar rather than a skybox at the stadium.]

On football, it occurred to me that if Brady and/or BBM were EVER to take a real hit like the one suffered by our intrepid JC (skroo Dexter, btw), those teams would be DONE. I'm sure that Cassel and Sorgi had great high school careers and all, but those guys are no Todds.

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

dcsweeny,

Dude I LOVE that song, love The Dictators/Manitobas Wild Kingdom. Have seen them like 12 times..

What a great compliment...thanks!

Handsome Dick has a great Bar in the East Village now...."Manitobas"

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"Yeah, DC, I'm liking Wilson's play of late as well. I also liked his sack of Brad later in the game. While I disagreed with the way he was treated by the team back in 1999, its time to let it go...."

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 2, 2008 11:29 AM

Agreed on both counts. Now the time has come to let it go ... and sack him like the Dallas QB he has since become.

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Definitely loved the game. All the more sweeter that we went through Dallas for the playoffs.
Definitely sad that I can't attend the PDiddy party. Took a look at airfare prices last week and couldn't find a way to justify flying out to Seattle to my Patriots fan wife. Of course, I'd have to take my Redskins Fan in training 3 yr old son with me. She'd definitely never go for that!

Posted by: BCBarney | January 2, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

BCBarn, sorry to hear about your wife and the team she follows. Tell her that Bellicheck is a fraud, how hard can it be to win football games with Brady as your qb?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 2, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

is there any bigger pro bowl snub in the league than clinton portis this year? 1262 yards and 11 tds for portis vs. 975 yards and 10tds for marion barber. not to mention portis has more receptions and recieving yards than barber, to go along with being the best pass-protecting back in the league. it's atrocious that he wasn't selected, and downright stupid that pro-bowlers are selected well before the season ends.

that being said, i'm sure portis doesn't care, and it is only fueling the fire for the postseason run soon to follow. saturday can't get here soon enough.

Posted by: psps23 | January 2, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I can't be too hard on the wife as she grew up in New England. I'm just glad I stole my son from the clutches of the home town team! Just the greatest sound to hear him yell COOOOOLEEEEY!! during the game on Sunday. He loves his #47 jersey.

Posted by: BCBarney | January 2, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

psps23, consensus up here is F the Pro Bowl. I mean, we all love Samuels, as far as best player regardless of position? The years of snubbage of Sean Taylor is what ruined that all-expense paid vacation based on a popularity contest for me. I find irony in Sean Taylor making the ONLY play in ANY Pro Bowl that anyone will ever remember. I love the YouTube of that hit where they have the voiceover of the Japanese TV crew.

cL, its all you dude. Happy New Year (in the Gregorian calendar sense).

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

is there any bigger pro bowl snub in the league than clinton portis this year?
---------------------------

Yes. Fred Taylor.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 2, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Fred Taylor was a way bigger snub than CP.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought Trent Green's snub was pretty bad...

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

PSP, the pro-bowl is a joke, year after year, yet it can be the platform, which someone is prevented from making the HOF.

Such bull-crap...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Scouts, Inc. just ranked the Redskins defense dead last of the 12 playoff teams and Dallas, a team we just dropped 27 on, in the top few.

What a joke.

Posted by: trink | January 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Pro Bowl = useless popularity contest
Guys get in based on Rep so often. Don't even really know who got in this year so I can't comment on the snubs.

Posted by: BCBarney | January 2, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Fred Taylor is now going to the pro bowl I believe....as a replacement for someone injured...Willie Parker maybe?

Posted by: Lisa | January 2, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Fletcher was a snub. 136 tackles by ending vote and 2 picks one for a TD.

Someone who shouldnt have got in is Ogden. He only played 7 games.

Posted by: Zebraskins | January 2, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I think it would be interesting to see how the playoff teams rank over the last 4 or 5 games of this season. As the Clots showed last year, it's irrelevant how your offense/defense performed earlier in the year, but it absolutely matters how they are playing in December and into January.

By that measure the Pats offense looks great, but their defense is conceding points all over the place to teams with any sort of offense. I think they're beatbale and may well not even make the Super Bowl. Same goes for Dallas, I think their offense is faltering; even Aikman agreed with that at the weekend. And their defense really isn't anything special.

To me the real 'form' wildcard teams entering the playoffs are the Redskins and Jaguars. NOBODY will want to face them right now and they could both go deep into the playoffs.

Jags/Skins Super Bowl anyone?

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Skins Nation will be with you in spirit! Pound many good brews for us and GO SKINS!!!!

HAIL!

Posted by: P00P | January 2, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Taylor got in when Willie Parker broke his leg. But he wasn't voted in.

I think the Jags can beat the Pats, so that Skins/Jags Super Bowl isn't quite as far-fetched to me as it probably is to most people.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'll ask again since this is, y'know, really interesting:

was "not guy" unveiled or exposed or unmasked or disrobed or whatever was promised?

or was there a wee "not" embedded in that promise which I missed?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Tickets for the Pro Bowl are now available at Snub-Hub.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 2, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeahawkSam | January 2, 2008 09:18 AM

Isn't it named "Pike Place Market"? One only has to be a Food Network fan to see a feature on that place (and its "fish tossers") about 3x/week.

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Diddn't see this posted above, so here's a link to the Seattle bar for the 10pm (Pacific) Friday night meet-up.

I was wondering why the name sounded familiar, and when I saw the pix on their site it hit me: this is the place where I met Diddy, back in the offseason! And thus the starting point of that shameful visit to the abyss, my personal Shabingus in Seattle.

So I can vouch for the strength of drinks they pour. Looking back, it seems so obvious now; I was drinking practically undiluted vodka for three hours! No wonder. (Note to self: stick with beer, whose ABV you can count on.)

My tummy hurts.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

If the so-called "12th Man" is so important to the Seahawks, why are there tickets still available to the public? Wouldn't FedEx be sold out by now?

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Their 12th man thing has more to do with the design of the stadium and it's acoustics than the crowd. RFK would annihilate Kwiki Mart field in a 12th man death match.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The stadium is sold out. But tickets are available on StubHub and other such resources.

Posted by: washingtonpost | January 2, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

While trying to sound extra-cool by name dropping Mudhoney, did you consider double checking any of your list and removing Cobain since he wasn't from Seattle? Or no?

Posted by: bekessler | January 2, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

In a somewhat strange indictment of Seattle fans, the ownership of the NBA Sonics is apparently interested in moving the team to Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City?

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Buncha cappuccino drinking towel-wavers.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster still had tickets as of 10 minutes ago.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

People in Seattle are generally apathetic to team sports. They'll get excited when there's something to get excited about.

There are football cities (DC, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Green Bay, etc), and there are non-football cities (Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, etc)...

(note: I said "in Seattle". Out in the suburbs, particularly the northern and southern suburbs, is where you'll find the meat and potatoes types...who love football in all its forms. Folks in Seattle are generally latte-swilling pansies :-) )...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Aw man...I'm sorry I'm gonna miss the Diddy party. If I hear one more thing about Seattle's 12th man, I'm gonna earl.

Also, this is a way better Redskins team that the 2005 team. We basically limped to the playoffs in 2005.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 2, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The Sonics thing is a saga far deeper than Oklahoma City.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

tafka, when the New Orleans Hornets were uprooted by Katrina, they "relocated" temporarily to Oklahoma City. OK City turned out to be a great, welcoming NBA city.

Posted by: Lisa | January 2, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Gibbs can send Brunell out to run the offense on the first series - to confuse the Seahawks defense and the knowledgable Seattle fans.

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The Sonics have a strong fanbase in Seattle. The OKC thing is all about the new owner wanting to steal the team from the city and take them to his hometown and using the city's refusal to pay for a new arena as cover for his slimey manuver.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:26 PM

Tafka, I believe the problem is that the game is competing with some events that the Seattle intelligentsia consider "must sees".

For example:

h. 2nd Annual Freestyle Championships is being held at the Chop Suey.
&. The long-awaited "Art of the Stamp" postage stamp exhibition coupled with "Faces of Leadership: Presidential Portraiture" at the Washington State History Museum.
2. "Captain Gravel and the Tunestranglers" are at Jules Maes' Saloon.
y. The never-to-be-missed "Cimarron Country Dance" sessions at the Valley Dance Hall.
*. Georgie Bright Kinkel will be giving a reading from her seminal work "WWII Liberator's Life: AFS Ambulance Driver Chooses Peace" as well.

Hmmmm, these or NFC Playoffs? A tough choice indeed....

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

>>> "Buncha cappuccino drinking towel-wavers."

Back in '96 or something when the Mariners were making a run at the playoffs, a local DJ coined the term, "Johnny Come Latte's".

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It's really hard to imagine Oklahoma City supporting anything bigger than a AA baseball team. It is not a very impressive city - kind of like a very large and spreadout version of Manassas.

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:45 PM

Interesting idea. So though he would be on the field, you would really only be sending out 10 men on offense for the first play as some sort of a tribute to your quarterback who has 'passed on' then?

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Toddcoat! Brunell could be known as the Redskins "11th Man".

Posted by: tafka | January 2, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Notice Nate building up the unveiling of notguy ... as a run up to disclosing himself as that say guy, i.e., not guy ... I mean, he is not guy, not not not guy ... and whatnot.

Does anyone have the salary chart/table thing or remember what the site was that had it? I wanna see where Marcus lies on that ... also Cornelius.

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

not me, and not you (as you've said), sween. That narrows it down to the other twelve people who comment up here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"Johnny Come Latte's"

This calls for t-shirts.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

tafka, apparently OKC has a Triple-A baseball team. Probably a decent enough city, who knows?

They have what to my eyes is a novel and clever use for their stadium in wintertime: snow tubing.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Nate, my notguy candidates would be: Megskin (posting in exile), 4-12, SMACK, MV Dame (also hiding somewhere), the poster formerly known as cdubb, or maybe toddcoat.

Per pft, Martz got canned this morning in Detroit.

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

sween -- one of the sites is Cap Page.

Posted by: daggar | January 2, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

KC Chiefs also dumped OFF coaches. These were all Vermiele/Weird Al guys.

You Heard it here First: Charlie Joyner will be the next WR coach of the Skinz.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

NATE! You found the SnowCam gnome and he's tubing in Oklahoma!

[Oklahoma City Redhawks, ay? Maybe we could rip off that name, keep the R and our existing logo (the dude with the feather in his hair), but just change the name to unbub the hubbub that bubs every so often about the Skins' name ...]

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I think it's Joiner.

But why not Danny Buggs?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 2, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

F speling

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

thx daggar (you are also a notguy candidate btw). Looking at those numbers, I understand why Springs' contract had cross hairs on it. Also understanding the subtle undertone of Jasno reporting about the future of Cornelius. Wondering myself about Marcus now. Looks like we got Fletcher for a prayer (though that number goes way up in two years). Also seems that Portis and Santana redid their numbers recently to cash out some the current year's base.

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I am NOt the not guy.....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 2, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Who is the skins' current asst head coach/ associate dictator/vice president for Wide Receivers?

Posted by: daggar | January 2, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Nate's in the clear on 'not guy'. I quote him verbatim (probably).

"I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably do, or do not know who he (or she) shouldn't probably be, if that indeed isn't who he (or she) is. Even if he (or she) isn't who I know he (or she) may be, that'd mean I'd really have to know who he (or she) isn't."

Such as, like, maps, etc.

And no, I am not 'not guy'.

Posted by: toddcoat | January 2, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

MARTZ git fired? What about Matt Millen, their genius GM. He's done a wonderful job thus far.

And we need leaders for coaches, not joiners....HA!

Posted by: dlhaze | January 2, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Stan Hixon is the current WR coach.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 2, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Millen is the new Rasputin.

He will not go easily.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 2, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Playoff Haiku

Timeout then Timeout!
"Redskins will miss the playoffs."
Can I take that Back?

Posted by: mrspartan | December 31, 2007 12:31 PM

Also, I want to go back and praise some quality haiku. Whatever happened to haiku? Does anyone ever do that anymore?

Posted by: dcsween | January 2, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

He made a way better color commentator than a GM. Course he has a '91 Super Bowl ring, so I'll lay off a little.....

Posted by: dlhaze | January 2, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Non-sequitor bliss
Haiku is
Where are my earmuffs?

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to all of you going to Seattle - I'm very jealous, especially as I have to go there twice a year for work and my trip not coinciding with this week's game. Was there an omen in the rain coming for the Dallas game to prepare for Seattle? Give the team a big Hail from the UK. Happy New Year

Posted by: barrie.whipp | January 2, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy,

Not so sure if I agree with the bar pick. Doesn't look like the place is going to like me blacked out singing Hail to Redskins. Looks a little too upscale for that. With that said, me and a buddy arrive in Seattle from DC at 8:30 and plan on coming by. What kind of dress code, if any, do they have at Suite 410?

-Dominic

Posted by: dominic10464 | January 2, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

pacific northwest
singing hail to the redskins

Posted by: puttinforbird | January 2, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Classy Dallas Fans during a visit to FedEx Field this holiday season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_GWs2W794

Listen to the sound. Everyone in the area missed a big play it sounds like!

Posted by: mrspartan | January 2, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy,

I will see you on Friday night...thanks so much for taking the initiative to host all of us out-of-towners. Promises to be a great time.

Posted by: dchandl3 | January 2, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why I thought it was three syllables in the middle. I guess not. I'll call that Tri-ku.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | January 2, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What holds for the Skins?
Look closely at Seattle...
Ray Liotta's Skin.

Posted by: mrspartan | January 2, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, you have the wrong number. This is 9-1-2.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | January 2, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't you guys let me know about this one? I am in tears over this one. Little sucka cowboys. LMGO!

Posted by: jm220 | January 2, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

dominic10464, if I can drink at this place, anybody can drink at this place. Trust me.

Or maybe a better way to say it is, anybody can drink at this place with P Diddy.

Plus it's Seattle, so the apparent snootiness of this joint from its website is not indicative of the actual snootiness -- the Seattle snootiness scale is waaaay different than that in other cities.

A reasonable level of decorum will probably be fine. We don't want to reflect badly on our host.

And I can't speak to an official dress code, but I wore jeans and a tee shirt there for the Shabingus.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

pdiddy...sweet bro...i plan on stopping by...probably late...i have a hockey game in kirkland that night and we'll probably stop by after...

the real important question on top of the fri party though is where is everyone gonna tailgate on saturday morning?

we should all rally to the same lot...

all i know is stay away from "tailgaters hevan" under the viaduct (west of the stadium)...its like philly over there...

anyone thinking along these lines yet???

i think our best matchup in the superbowl is the jags...

Posted by: deadskin | January 2, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm flattered by being suspected, and while I did toss out a few inferior "not" attempts, I am not THE not guy.

My money's on Sween.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 2, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

To anyone looking for a ticket. I have one extra that I will sell for what I paid ($150). It is in Section 307 Row P...which is on the Redskins side, 30 yard line, and more importantly, UNDER COVER, since it will be raining on Saturday.

A key benefit will also be that you will be sitting with 5 other Skins fans. Let me know if you are interested. I can be reached at dchandl3@yahoo.com

Posted by: dchandl3 | January 2, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

dchand...everyone...

i need two tix...for two skins fans...

if anyone has a bead on anything let me know...worst case we'll scalp at the stadium...but would be nice to have it secured beforehand...

and totally want to sit on the skins side...sections x07-x11...

Posted by: deadskin | January 2, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

is there a way to get tix through the redskins? dont we get an allotment?

Posted by: deadskin | January 2, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, happy to see a turnout at the bar!

This being Seattle, there is no dress code. Nate's got it right: "snootiness" in Seattle is way, way, way different than east coast "snootiness". The bar is small, but it'll be fun nonetheless. I held my birthday party there, it was packed to the gills, and I was blacked out by 12:30am. If you want to wear your jerseys and sing "Hail to the Redskins", more power to you. I'll be properly attired for a Seattle Friday night (jeans and a t-shirt :-) ).

The owner and bartenders are huge Seahawks fans (real fans, who know football!) and are being very gracious that evening.

In any event, I expect us to represent with "Smootiness".

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

My first ever beep beep!

Beep beep!

Posted by: PDiddy | January 2, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I followed a link to the Seattle Times from the Wapo's skins page and found this nice article on Joe Gibbs: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004103340_gibbs02.html

I wish I could travel to the NW to enjoy the party and the game, but alas, I cannot. I must say that I was the most nervous for a game last Sunday than I have been for a long time. No predictions, but I have a good feeling about the skins' chances in the play-offs. My wife, who is a huge Joe Gibbs fan, is watching the games again with me.

Posted by: Markin21132 | January 2, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Will not be trekking from London to rainland for this shindig on Fri, but will be with you all in spirit and, indeed, in spirits. Vague plans at this point are chianti with my (piccante) pizza, a few Black Sheep ales, then poss a glass or two of madeira. Then a hangover; the glory days of my drinking are long gone. (If you've never had madeira and you like any of dessert wines, sherry or port, do yourself a favour - give it a try: absolute nectar).

I will be drinking with my girlfriend, who unfortunately is a Boys fan from Virginia (just to be contrary, hmm). we watch the football together and for some reason she went to bed early last Sun, muttering about the Boys (girls) not trying. Ho ho ho.

Fill your boots lads (and lassies) - and HAIL! Don't forget a toast to absent friends...

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | January 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the inside scoop of "P. Diddy." Maybe JLC or the blog moderator could do a better job explaining on why certain blogs are posted and giving some background on bloggers.

Posted by: heisted547 | January 3, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse