Paulescu to get his kicks

On Wednesday, Sam Paulescu was punting at a high school field in Denver. On Sunday, he will be the fourth punter used by the Redskins in eight games this season, joining starter Hunter Smith, mid-game replacement Shaun Suisham (the normal place kicker) and mid-week replacement Glenn Pakulak.

"Let me put it this way," Paulescu said Friday. "I've never got a call on Wednesday, that late in the week."

Normally, free agents work out with teams on Tuesdays, the players' mandatory day off. But because Smith re-injured his groin muscle -- the one that cost him two games earlier in the season -- on Wednesday, the Redskins were in an unusual bind.

"I had just got done punting," Paulescu said. "You got to be ready at any time; that's one thing about the NFL. I was punting, and got out of the shower, and you know what? Got a call. They said, 'This is our situation.'"

Paulescu's situation: One game with the Denver Broncos in 2007, 10 with the Dallas Cowboys last season, a career average of 42.0 yards on 58 punts, with a 35.6-yard net. Married eight months ago, he has been training, helping coach a local high school football team and "hanging out with my wife" this season, hoping for a call.

"You don't do the NFL and get a full-time job," he said.

Paulescu knows, however, that he likely won't have a full-time job with the Redskins, either. Smith could easily be back next week against Denver.

By Barry Svrluga  |  November 6, 2009; 3:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Play-calling by committee
Next: Zorn has high praise for Ryan

Comments

FIRST to repeat that we have become a F'n joke

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Why not bring back Glenn Pakulak - since he has already punted for us?

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Vinny...Where is that gem of a punter you drafted in the 6th rd in 2008. Man it sure would be nice to have a Ray Guy Award winner than try and find a serviceable OL in the 6th.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Washington DC, where Dallas kickers come to die.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Like the old song sez, "Get yo kicks on Route 666...”*

*Disclaimer -- Nothing in this statement is meant to infer that anyone has conclusively proven that Dan Snidely is the spawn of Satin -- but rather, only to observe that Snidely seems to act at times as though he might have a special relationship with ol’ Beelzebub.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I would like to compile a list of Redskin offensive players who have improved under the guidance of Jim Zorn.

I'm guessing the list of guys who regressed under Zorn would be longer.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, I challenge you to find one player to put on your list of improved players under zorn.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

z, there is no such list....when you expect players to be perfect, you don't develop them, when you don't take advantage of what their strengths are, and try and make them do things they're not good at, they fail. which is what we have here....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I just heard on radio that Marko is going to be active this sunday. Can someone either confirm or deny this?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 6, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping we are watching a newly hired GM draft either LT Okung or Williams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't like these QBs either. The only one I think would even have a chance here is Colt McCoy. Williams needs to stop getting burned. I like Bulaga and even that kid out of Maryland better than Wiliams right now. Okung is the cream of the crop though. My plan was to actually draft WCO players. We could get an athletic tackle in the 2nd and 4th rounds. Take C.J. Spiller in the first. Bulaga in the second and Capers in the 4th. Then in the get a WCO QB in the 2011 draft. I actually like Christian Ponder from Florida State and think he would be a good fit here but he needs to continue developing.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:20 PM

I'd love to have Spiller, but unless the NEWLY hired GM trades out of the top 5, then thats too high for him. I say OL, OL, HB, OLB, and more OL.

As far as looking for players to fit a WCO. I'm hoping that the coach the GM HIRES laughs at the thought of the WCO.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, WCO QB needs a quick release and a quick read progression.

JC slow release and slow read progression.

WCO receivers need to be precise route runners.

Our rookie recievers weren't very good route runners in college and aren't very good route runners in the NFL.

WCO linemen need to be athletic and quick on their feet for zone blocking.

Well, this one doesn't matter. Most of our linemen would suck in either scheme.

WCO RB must be evasive in the open field and catch passes well out of the backfield

Portis uh no. He's a downhill runner and stuggles with pass catching.

Yeah, this is a recipe for success!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Why not bring back Glenn Pakulak - since he has already punted for us?

Posted by: Lisa_R
-------------------------------------------
I wondered that, too. It would seem to be a safer choice than someone who hasn't punted in a game for them. Just more of that brilliant front office working its magic, I guess.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The pundits should try honing their observation abilities: Cooley is afraid of losing his job to Davis. Davis IS potentially a far superior blocker. That was the Scouts' take on him in college. He has the natural skills they look for. He was also considered to be a potentially an excellent receiver with soft-hands and decent speed.

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Always dreamed of playing in the NFL?

Can you punt a football?

Do you have a funny-sounding last name starting with the letter P?

If so, come try out for the Washington Redskins!

You could join the ranks of Ryan Plackemeier, Glenn Pakulak, and Sam Paulescu!

Posted by: freakzilla | November 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

pa, sorry, try and sell that somewhere else, cuz I ain't buying it....you dance with whom you brung....make what you have work, don't expect perfect routes, throw the ball before the receiver makes his break.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1

Spawn of Satin? Sounds cozy.

Posted by: ChampKind | November 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead

Please God let this be true!

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think any tackle other than Okung taken in the top 8 is too high. He's probably the only guy I'd take that high. Bruce Campbell, Brian Bulaga, and Charles Brown should fall to the later part of the first round. Assuming a top 10 pick we should be able to trade back to the later first round. At that point we could probably get a Tackle and Spiller. If we had a smart GM we could really make out well this year....but we have vinny so welcome to Washington Mr. Tebow.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

At this point one would be tempted to put Cooley in the backfield instead of Sellers. Having Cooley as the outlet receiver could potentially lead to some serious long gains on short dump offs. And I assume he blocks well enough to be a good fullback. Honestly, I would be tempted just to leave him in their by himself and just throw the ball. With this line they clearly aren't going to be able to run the ball very well.
Might as well bring Jurgenson into the play calling mix. He was running a WCO before it was called that. He had no running game to speak of until Lombardi, Brown and Harraway came along. Every play was a passing down. He has all of these 'opinions'; why not put him next to Sherm Lewis the Bingo Caller? I doubt that you can do any worst? And it would be fun to blame Sonny for calling a bad game. I am certain Sam and Riggo would relish the opportunity.

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, WCO QB needs a quick release and a quick read progression.

You just described Christian Adolph Jurgenson. Let's see HIM call the plays ... ~wicked smiles~ let's put HIM under the microscope ... and you know what I bet even Sherm Lewis could learn something new about the WCO from Sonny. And Sonny might learn to keep his mouth away from the microphone when he starts thinking about putting the spikes back on and getting out onto the field.

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

There are going to be a lot of juniors who should be analyzed and considered in the 2nd round on down. Their agents will have them coming out early because of the new contract that will more than likely severely limit rookie salaries and bonuses. A smart GM could find a couple of potential first rounders among those juniors. But we have Danny Snyder GM assisted by Vinnie Cerrato. Do you think they are smart?

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

You don't dance the tango with a fat girl you cabbage patch. We need to can this WCO crap and start pounding the ball then trhowing deep downfield. These dink and dunk passes are not going to work with this group of players.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't think even Sonny Jurgensen could do any better than JC behind this OL. Of course Sonny is 73 years old.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

then thats too high for him. I say OL, OL, HB, OLB, and more OL.

Before Spiller; Taylor Mays. In this defense he would be the impact player everyone is so desperately looking for to create those turn-overs. Combined with Haynesworth et al ... plus a really good shutdown corner? They have plenty of linebackers. Too many linebackers. Forget running back. Contractually they really are stuck with Portis, Betts, et al at least for next year.
otherwise, they need to just draft OL, and pray that some of them can start.

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Therein lies the problem- zorn is a moron coach who does not have the common sense to use the players he has to their strength. As many have said, he'll be damned if that square peg can't be made to fit in the round hole.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the list of guys who regressed under Zorn would be longer.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Pretty much a total condemnation of Zorn. There aren't many responsibilities a coach has that are more critical than to develop players. If your players are regressing, you gotta get rid of the coach.

fwiw, I know people cite Hasselback as a guy Zorn developed, but was he really that good? In Hasselback's best years, he had the league's top RB and two OL that are both serious HOF material in Jones and Hutchinson.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

pa, disagree, when have you seen any evidence that this is a wco?? where are the slants, where are the 3 step drops...sorry what they do isn't close to a WCO....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 3:47 PM

Periculum...I took a sabbatical from RI for about 6 months. I see you have added the centered and Franklin Gothic Book (guessing here)text format to your repertoire. Well done...

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Is that Zorn's fault? He is a WCO expert. He doesn't know anything else. I'd say it's Vinny's fault for making this switch without aqcuiring the right personnel.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1

Spawn of Satin? Sounds cozy.

Posted by: ChampKind
-------------------------------------------
Watch out for his cousins: The Sibling of Spandex and the Nephew of Polyester.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

He is a WCO expert

pa, when was the last time he had kelly run a slant?? 6'4, 230 pounds, perfect sized guy to run a slant with??

that doesn't get run because JZ wants perfection in that route, and it he doesn't see perfection, then MK gets shut down.... there is neither reason, nor any other explanation for it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

PA, So Vinny did not give zorn the "groceries" he needs, however, zorn's offense has laid a big fat egg this year.

As bad as our OL has been, the Skins have played poorly against the bottom teams in the NFL. This is on the head coach.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Pats release Kendall Simmons
Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2009 3:56 PM ET
The New England Patriots have pulled the plug on the Kendall Simmons experiment.

The team has announced that Simmons has been released.

Simmons, a first-round pick of the Steelers in 2002, became an unrestricted free agent in late February after spending seven seasons in Pittsburgh.

He appeared in only one game with the Patriots, on special teams.

Simmons started every game of the Steelers' 2005 Super Bowl-winning season. Last year, he ruptured an Achilles' tendon during the fourth game of the regular season, and he missed the rest of the year.

Since the trade deadline has passed, Simmons will be required to pass through waivers. If/when he clears waivers, he'll become an unrestricted free agent.

Posted by: TWISI | November 6, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I kept my promise today.

I said if the Yankees won the World Series, I'd go to work drunk and naked.

Trouble is, I work in a Vienna Sausage factory.

Folks thought my humorous attempt to celebrate Yankee victory was a little short.

(INSERT bad pun groan and TheCork's image seen posting another diatribe against idiotic 'Uncle Tom' republicans who think Michelle Obama looks like a WNBA backup center.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

So how much money do you think this guy gets for coming in and punting for one game? Like $15,000? 30?

Posted by: REXskins | November 6, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

moe, don't let corky get to you, he's just a cranky old fart who needs his depends changed....I thought what you said was pretty funny....whats good for the goose and all....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I think it's on the head coach, asistant coaches, the GM, the scheme, the players, and Dan Snyder. 1 person can't make a team this bad.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
-------------------------------------------
So, Zorn doesn't know anything other than WCO? Are you crazy? What offense did Zorn run when he was a player? I guarantee you that it was not the WCO. My point is he knows football and not necessarily one offense. Everyone needs to stop waving around this WCO excuse. It's football. No coach has ever been given the perfect set of players for the offense they want to call, so they adapt. Zorn has not adapted. He was hired to be a football coach and win games. He doesn't get an asterisk next to his names that's tied to a statement like, "but he didn't have the right players". Every coach has an obligation to the club and the fans to try to use the players he has to the best of their abilities. If that means using six offensive linemen, three running backs or five wide receivers, then so be it. You do what you have to do. Zorn hasn't done that. Please don't defend him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

This whole WCO experiment has been a total failure! We have a qb, hb, and three wr's that are made for an old skins game of run, run, throw deep. That is if we had an o-line. I hope we go back to that scheme. I just hope DT and MK won't be ruined by then, but who am I kidding.

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"Before Spiller, Taylor Mays. In this defense he would be the impact player everyone is so desperately looking for to create those turn-overs."

Wow.

The Washington Redskins should draft another safety.

There's some original thinking.

Most NFL teams know you need a 'field-flipping' offensive skill player.

I guess the redskin fanbase thinks the team needs another safety to be there to slip and fall as that field-flipper sprints into the end zone.

Me?: I want Spiller or Best, and Sam Bradford if he slips into the second round as folks say he might.

Let's start rebuilding the redskin offense by bringing in--with Haynesworth money--a tackle and right guard.

And let's draft the next burgandy and gold ballas: guys who can run!

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Political ideology aside, Michelle Obama looks like a CHUD.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 6, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417

Absolutely correct

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Playing QB in a system isn't running an offense. Zorn wasn't designing and calling plays. The head coach was. You seem to think that were only a couple players away from being a WCO team but the truth is we only have 1 player that fits a WCO and he's injured right now. All this is doing is making these guys look stupid. Moss and Thomas need to be going deep.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

beantown

"moe, don't let corky get to you"

Trust me, he doesn't.

We got to get a lil' Hot Stove chatta going next week--unless, of course, the Mighty Skins win.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | November 6, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

That sounds about right...over a 16-game season that'd be almost 250K...but who knows for sure...

Posted by: mattylight | November 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

unless, of course, the Mighty Skins win.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

oh wait...you were serious.....shoot...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

There's enough blame for everyone to share. You see...Snyder hired Vinny and the two idiots hired Blatche and Zorn instead of hiring the HC first and letting him pick his assistants. Then when it looked too predictable for Danny to hire Fassell they had no choice but to promote Zorn. Based on that, is if fair to blame Zorn considering he has zero experience being a OC or HC and then ask him to do both.
I'll answer my own question...Yes!
He has been a complete failure at both.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"This whole WCO experiment has been a total failure!"

Maybe, maybe not.

I'd like to see the team use more 'spread' principles--like the pats/colts/saints do.

Zorn was trying to be 'pure,' under the center WCO play caller when his quarterback is a shot gun, spread type.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"...Michelle Obama looks like a CHUD."

If a CHUD is what Chewbacca from Star Wars would look like shaved from head to toe, I agree.

But she is a gracious and nice lady.

She'd have to be.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Moe -

If Zorn was trying to be "pure" WCO, I think we would have been seeing a lot more crossing patterns out there and stuff.

The offense we run more closely resembles an East Coast Prevent offense.

Posted by: edvar | November 6, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Billy Mays?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 6, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

moe, thats what I don't get, and its 2 fold:

1. There has been no ATTEMPT to go to a spread offense, nothing, they just do the same thing over and over and expect things to change.

2. JC is EXPONENTIALLY better out of the gun, not to mention the added time he gets, so why run the gun all game long??

this is where jz to me, is stubborn, and its to his own peril.....

fine, its not working here, but for your next employer, what is he seeing?? Zero adaptations, zero adjustments, zero creativity....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 6, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I just got a call from a lawyer from the WNBA.

It seems they are a little pissed that I insulted them earlier.

I added insult to injury by asking them just what is the WNBA.

I've never seen any of their games or knew there was a league of 6 feet tall women playing basketball.

The only thing I ever see women do in groups involves a stage, a pole, and booming music.

And definately not lawyers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, maybe not.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

As long as we have a game plan I don't care. The WCO is supposed to spread the defense horizontally. This should allow you to run up the middle and eventually setup the deep pass. We don't use the sidelines so all of our passes go towards the middle of the field. The defense crowds the middle of the field then we try to run into it. We just ball ourselves up into a pile. We're easy to defend. We need to either spread the field horizontally or vertically or both. The shotgun spread formations should help us to that. I'd like to see Mitchell and Kelly used to spread the field towards the sidelines. Moss and Thomas as the deep targets. ARE and Davis in the middle. And maybe Rock Cartright is the better running back for this scheme.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

beep qeed

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

this is where jz to me, is stubborn, and its to his own peril.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

jeez Greg, I find myself agreeing with you again this week.

I think there is a subtly involved in all this.

First Vinny sold Danny on the WCO. In part, its what Vinny wanted, but I'd bet that a major part was that Vinny wanted his stamp on this team. He started doing that no more than half a nanosecond after Joe Gibbs left the building.

The WCO decision led to Zorn. If Zorn runs an offense that looks like a Gibbs/Saunders offense, Vinny looks like a fool and Zorn is out of his element.

Last season, Zorn started with the WCO, but modified it a bunch after the embarrassing opening game loss to the jints. His changes fit the players better. And it worked. Until the OL collapsed.

Then came the offseason ...

Behind closed doors, I'd bet that Vinny and probably Zorn said that the WCO wasn't fully implemented -- and that was a major reason for the bad second half of 2008, not just the OL issue.

I think they both staked their reputations on the WCO to Danny. 2009 has been a case of 'make the WCO work or die trying'.

Pretty clear which way that one is going.

Its all over except for assessing blame. Snyder alone has that call. Me, I'd blame Vinny and Zorn, not Campbell. But I know how important my opinion is to the guy in charge.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

We are going to be playing against some good defenses now, what is the over under on how long before Jason Campbell is on injured reserve?

Posted by: m_p_holmes | November 7, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse