PBA Eagerly Awaits Smoot

Somehow, you knew this is where it was going to go when Fred Smoot said he wanted to try pro bowling.

The deputy commish of the PBA sent official liaison/bogger Dan Steinberg a statement saying it would welcome -- welcome as in "it's so on" -- Smoot's appearance at an event.

The PBA will give Fred Smoot entry into a PBA event and he can see where he stacks up against the best bowlers in the world. We think he might be in for a rude awakening because our pros are to bowling pins what he is to wide receivers.

Hmmm, the lanes are gonna be especially lubricious that day.

By Cindy Boren  |  June 10, 2009; 10:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Trial Now Set for Jan. 18
Next: Brennan Seeks Balance with His Style of Play

Comments

You got to love Smoot. lol

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"our pros are to bowling pins what he is to wide receivers."

slower?

love ya Smoot, but that was just too easy to pass up.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

(b/c, you know, Blache and Zorn read RI and they do what we say, right?).

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 10:59 AM

I think it is actually Vinny and the Dan. Zorn should be grateful to us by getting Fassel UnHired.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Also, going back to the last post from Alex..

Do we have any true Free Safeties? Landry is playing it for thr moment, but he, Doughty, and Horton seem like more run stoppers to me than FS. I don't know about Moore yet....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure you meant to write "lubricious" ????

Posted by: dlong1 | June 10, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

This was in the Morning Express. Hardly Insider Information here. Throw us a bone already!

Posted by: Devo2 | June 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

.ESPN Announces Addition Of Schefter
Posted by Mike Florio on June 10, 2009, 10:43 a.m.
As we reported so long ago that we can’t even remember without researching it and I’m feeling characteristically lazy right now so I won’t, Adam Schefter is joining ESPN.

The network announced the move this morning.

He officially will start with ESPN in August, after the expiration of his NFL Network deal. Schefter will appear on SportsCenter, NFL Live, Sunday NFL Countdown, Monday Night Countdown, ESPNEWS, ESPN.com, ESPN Radio, and the various and sundry other ESPN platforms.

“The name ESPN speaks for itself. Its reputation stands alone,” Schefter said. “I watched ESPN growing up, so to be a part of the programming that every football fan watches, and really has always watched, and to be a part of such a talented group of people, it’s surreal to me. It feels like I’m a late addition to the Pro Bowl. I’m flattered, honored, humbled — and I can’t wait to get to work.”

We’ve yet to confirm Ed Werder’s report that ESPN gave Schefter a deadline to accept its offer. (Sorry, we couldn’t resist.)
===========================================

Sounds like Schefter told NFLN, 'Money Talks and B%ll$h!t Walks'.....

They have too many talking heads for one spoort. Someone has to go. I don't even watch ESPN anymore for the NFL. NFLN all day everyday. I could probably recite all the Top 10s of any topic......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor
---------------
I am gonna say no, we do not have any true FS's (who I vision as a lighter speed guy)

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Former Georgia Tech student Syed Haris Ahmed was found guilty Wednesday of conspiring to provide material support to terrorism in the United States and abroad. Ahmed, 24, could face 15 years in prison for conspiring to support terrorism.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 10:47 AM

For his sentence, they offered him four years at the University of Georgia (community service, tutoring football players and cheerleaders) or 15 years in a maximum security prison. He chose prison.

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Wow, Georgia Tech must really have a bunch of idiots. Dude either likes dropping the soap or he's just plain stupid. Doing something you dislike for 4 years and being free or 15 years in jail bending over and the GTech fairyboy chooses 15 years in jail?

T_E and his Techie nerd crew really are a bunch of morons. Wow.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:13 AM

You keep saying that, but Landry played just as much if not more free safety at LSU as strong safety. The guy is a SAFETY ... free, strong, American!

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Hmmm, the lanes are gonna be especially lubricious that day"

Did they replace the lane wax with KY jelly?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 10, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Actually, from the perspective of anyone on offense, Landry is not a safety. He is a DANGER.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

4th

Top 10 Miller Lite commercials with ex-football players……GO!

I'll start you off:
10. LC Greenwood rips a beer can in half stating how he loves the "easy opening cans".

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Smoot should wear locals "Smoot Lumber" on his hammer elbow...

(repost, cuz of the "beep-beep"):

Have you ever heard GG Allen's version of "Carmalita"? Brilliant....

Posted by: chrislarry

All punks would do well to listen to some Ravi Shankar at sunset..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Check out the position that LSU thought Landry was playing for them:

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"GG Allin is a CIA psyop to manifest hatred deathrays for the rich at the top (we live in class war), like spreading the UFC every f*in' wear for the Vegas mob PNAC's.."

is it just me or did that not make any sense?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

i dunno, I feel like the NFL D's have evolved a lot, where some of the traditional (madden) terms for defensive positions no longer mean anything, some time you can watch a team line up and its no longer a 4-3, 3-4, or anything like that, you just have an amorphous blob of players.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Frak good stuff...you may be right....I shankar at noon however.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 11:31 AM

amorphous blob of lust for mayhem

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I followed Frak..

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

4th

Top 10 Miller Lite commercials with ex-football players……GO!

I'll start you off:

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2009 11:26 AM

What? I'm talking about those NFLN Shows that rate the top 10 on various topics. This is not one of them.

For example, The top 10 SB PErformanecs included 3 Redksins. Timmy Smith at around 8, Riggo at 5 or 6, and Doug Williams @ #1....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I really don't mind the fluff pieces, way better than the negative stuff that had become the norm in here, but with 6 different people contributing to this blog, there are probably some other stories that could be pursued.

Heck, I'll even throw one out there for you: how about someone investigate why Anthony Montgomery was absent from OTA's on Monday? He was excused but no reason was given. Now go to work...

Posted by: McMetal | June 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I followed Frak..

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It might be time for CL to take a blog vacation.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Alex - You're right. MAdden Defense is no longer relevant to what's on the field, for the most part.

But you still generally have 2 safeties that work in different capicities on the field. One as a run stopper and/or extra zone/coverage guy. And another who is over the top of most. Or in a Cover 2, they split the field. Do we have an up top Safety (FS) who fits those qualifications. Doughty got burnt in that Dallas game after ST21 hurt his knee and was burnt badly, as well by Fitzgerald last year.

Sweeny - That was college. By that logic, we should keep Orakpo on the line...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

4th, I gave up on the NFLN top 10's when one of the top 10 Corner combos was 'Deion Sanders and anybody.'

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:19 AM

I'm with you, 4th. ESPN's coverage on the whole is such a transparent hype machine I can barely stand to watch Sportcenter and PTI is the only show I can watch start to finish without raising my blood pressure. But now they're doing the NBC method of having too many talking heads at one table and not enough time to let 'em all talk. You already have two of the best insiders in the business with Mort and Clayton, why you need to go get Shefter is beyond me. And what a huge loss for NFLN...that Lombardi guy is nothing to write home about and they don't have anyone else in that role worth a damn.

I'll still take NFLN over anything ESPN has to offer. They give you the goods without nearly as much BS.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

ESPN = Disney = fairytales = let's create the story of the century

seriously, they are awful. They make everything so overblown. Lebron hit that jumper to win Game 2 (or 3?) against Orlando and "THIS COULD CERTIFY HIS POSITION AS THE BEST EVER! OH MY GOD CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!" Someone needs to tell them it was ONE SHOT! I just can't get hung up on single plays like that, no single play defines a great player's career. That's garbage.

And then look back at their college football coverage, MY GOD! USC the best team EVER OH MAN, NO ONE CAN BEAT THEM!! They get bumped by Texas...VINCE YOUNG THE GREATEST EVER!?! WAS THAT THE BEST GAME EVER!?!

Just annoying as hell. You really have to take everything they say, with some exceptions, with a grain of salt. Just a hype machine that tries to create stories instead of reporting them.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I followed Frak..

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It might be time for CL to take a blog vacation.

Believe what?? But, anyway, looking forward to a 'Skins Touchdown season..maximum rock and roll..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Sweeny - That was college. By that logic, we should keep Orakpo on the line...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:40 AM

That's not the logic at all. I'm just saying that Landry has a history of playing just fine in coverage in the ball hawkery department. Twelve picks in 48 games started. Just because he was used by the Skins in the safety blitz, and up in the box (because of the inadequacies of the D-line to do anything other than stop the run) does not mean he is more of a "run stopper" than a free safety.

Also, Orakpo will be playing on the line as well.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 11:40 AM

Were they wrong?

Hey, I know everyone here doesn't like Deion Sanders probably going back to the '91 playoff game, but you can't say that he isn't a top 5 all time CB. I don't know for sure but he may have been the leagues first shutdown corner.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

ESPN makes me laugh.

That is all.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't know for sure but he may have been the leagues first shutdown corner.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 11:52 AM

Michael Haynes I believe was the 1st real one. (Thanks agian to watching the top 10 shows all the time on the weekends).

Sween - I don't have good insight on this, but I was going off what everyone was saying before ST21 passed away. There was just no talk of him playing that position, maybe because we had ST. And after ST, to many people were saying he wasn't playing his right position. But I am willing to see what he has as I know he has plenty of talent to excel and acheive at either position....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:36 AM

They have to be running out of top 10 ideas soon…we can start our own up here.

How about top 10 players/former players who did/are still doing jail time?

Here’s mine off the top of my head:

10 Mercury Morriss
9 Bob Hayes (Cowboy)
8 Hollywood Henderson (Cowboy)
7 Jamal Lewis
6 Dexter Manley
5 Nate Newton (Cowboy)
4 Tank Johnson (Cowboy)
3 Michael Vick
2 Rae Carruth
1 OJ Simpson

Mercury Morriss will drop off my list when Michael Irvin inevitably does something really stupid that Jerry Jones won’t cover up for him…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It might be time for CL to take a blog vacation.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I just came back from one!

Frak: Maximum Rock & Roll indeed...rip Tim Yohannan

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I actually heard a bowler say, "The lanes were especially lubricious today" on a bowling telecast.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | June 10, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice dlhaze.

I have no arguments out side of flip flopping #2 & #3 AND #4 & #5........

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

FO needs to show more camaradarie and stop acting like an abstract business office that the players can't relate to.. Maybe the Francis Ford Coppola Potomac River fishing trip helped ( he'd throw big feasts to placate his unruly crew), but Landry and Caveman needs to be addressed..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

r.i.p.

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 11:52 AM

That's got nothing to do with it...if the topic is "Top 10 Cornerback TANDEMS" just saying 'Deion and whoever' is a cop-out of picking someone. He was past his prime as a Redskin and Champ Bailey wasn't quite what he is now, but I would have picked that tandem over any other simply for the name recognition. If you looked at his career, there usually wasn't another really good corner on the other side of him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Tank Johnson caught his charges with the Bears and now plays for the Bengals.

All in all, he was a model citizen with the Cowboys.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Here we go my top 10 lists that are completely subjective wastes of time but I still love em for the jib jab.

10. Best Fans
9. Best gameday food
8. Rule Changes
7. Best QB of all time (you will never solve it, the rules/position changes too much)
6. Ranking Announcers
5. Madden S**t
4. Best/Worst Stadiums
3. Gameday Brew
2. Most likely cities for expansion
1. Best/Worst Uniforms

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

All in all, he was a model citizen with the Cowboys.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 12:11 PM

LOL! You said "model citizen" and "Cowboys" in the same sentence! Somebody give this man a prize!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, did he mean they were "Slippery when wet"?

'cause that could be lubricious...

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Someone on the blog said the lanes are waxed. Not so. The lanes are oiled, so, technically speaking, the lanes are always "lubricious". Smoot rolling against PBA players? That would be "ludicrous". You have to love Smoot, though. When his career as a football player is done, the Redskins should hire him as a "comic relief coach". Just having him around at practice makes every day "luciferous".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 10, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

what about Luther Vandross?

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't know for sure but he may have been the leagues first shutdown corner.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Mike Haynes, Willie Brown, Emmitt Thomas, Darrell Green and Rod Woodson would say otherwise. All of them took away 1/2 of the field and, as an added bonus, they could tackle.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

They stole Shefter to get stronger by weakening the competition....

And i thought they replaced him with a real "insider"who has all sorts of sources in front offices all across the NFL who are ready to talk to him on any and every personel move through out the league????guess we'll see how many sources he really has..

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

D.C. girls used to say ,"Its LUTHER Time!!"..time to play some Luther!! feel sad for the crippled dude..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

We'll take all the seduction music we can find, at this rate...

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Worst uniforms

#1 - TB - Creamsicle Orange
#2 - Ravens - Looks like a high school or WAC college

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 10, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Best uniform

60's Packers - I think everyone copied their striping and such

We copied the helmets (worst Redskins helment design, I still like the spear look)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 10, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

#3 - The Huston Oilers
#4 - The 70s Atlanta Falcons

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Best Sport Blog Editor ---

Cindy!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 10, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

#5 The Old Boston Patriots Unis...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Luther gets additional awesome points for having perhaps the greatest sandwich of all time named after him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

#6 Those Eagles Jerseys from a couple years ago, highlighter yellow- nearly went blind watching the game.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 10, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

If you're looking to get 10 cities for expansion, you're probably putting a team in someplace like Salisbury, MD or something...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 10, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

#7 - The whole old NFC Central Division throwbacks! (Lions, Packers, Bears,Vikings)

Those things are all one solid color......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The Skins early 70's Ronald McDonald Unis have to be on the Worst list somewhere.

I'd put the Current Bucs and the 60's/Current Jets on the best list.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Stu - Those ugly Eagles Unis need to move up to #2....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

oh, and those awful blue & yellow steegles uniforms? Gotta be the worst of all time.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

So I went to Dictionary.com to find out what lubricious means. The best part was hitting the sound button and listening to the guy say it...and hitting it again and again and again.{lewbrichous....lewbrichous...lewbrichous...}

Thanks Etrod,
Luther burger - this is what makes RI in the off season worth while. Well that and watching Sween get his panties in a knot about LaRon.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Just keeping with the chronology, move where you see fit. The worst part of that is when i came in to work a philly fan was wearing a Kevin Curtis one, yes they look just as bad in person.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 10, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I've never actually had a Luther Burger but just the idea that someone could come up with that is mind boggling.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I think that covers it. Now lets count it down. (The below list has been copyrighted and any uses by the actual NFLN to steal this list will result in a $10 Billion Fee)

#10 - The unOriginal Cinncinatti
#9 - Boston PAtriots
#8 - Early 70s Skins
#7 - Houston Oilers
#6 - 70s Atlanta Falcons
#5 - the 90s Ravens
#4 - Thw Whole NFC Central Division, circa 1940s
#3 - Eagles throwback ugly green and yellow unis
#2 - The Steegles during WWII
And the #1 most ugliest uniform of all time is.....
The Expansion Tamp Bay Bucs and their 26 game losing streak.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 10, 2009 12:44 PM

If you look at the ten largest cities without NFL franchises, you'd put four teams in Texas. Here's the ten:

Los Angeles
San Antonio
San Jose
Columbus
Austin
Memphis
Fort Worth
El Paso
Milwaukee
Louisville

If you put a team in Salisbury they'd be owned by Purdue and called the Broilermakers.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

If you'r talking media Markets it would be:

Los Angeles
Sacramento
Orlando
Portland
San Antonio
Salt Lake City
Norfolk
Las Vegas
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Here is the AMAZING Dik Shuttle with a Thurman Burger!! in Columbus...

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as a resident of San Jose, the Bay Area doesn't need another sucky football team. 2 is enough

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

though the SF 49ers are likely to be 100% in Santa Clara, which is next to San Jose. That appears to be where the next stadium is going to be built. Their training facilities have been down here for a long time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

.Crowder On Ryan: “I’d Have Beat The Hell Out of That Big Old Joker”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 10, 2009, 12:12 p.m.
The spicy rivalry between the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins just got a little bit hotter, moving into a bizarre category of trash talking: Coach versus Linebacker.

In the latest salvo exchanged between Jets coach Rex Ryan and Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder, Crowder didn’t take too kindly to Ryan saying, “I don’t know this Channing Crowder. All I know is that he’s all tatted up, so I guess I ought to be nervous about him. If I was younger, I’d probably handle him myself.”

In an interview with Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald after learning of Ryan’s remarks, Crowder didn’t seem too worried about his chances in a scrap with the big coach.

“He says he’d take care of me if he was younger?” Crowder said. “I’d have beat the hell out of that big old joker. Or if he really wants to get retro, my daddy or my uncle could have handled him. Don’t get big. Win with preparation? Start watching some tape and learn who your rival is. Come on now.”

Crowder told the Herald that he’s enjoying the back-and-forth.

And it seems like Rex Ryan and his father, Buddy Ryan, are relishing the verbal jousting, too.

“It’s fun to ruffle feathers,” Rex Ryan said. “I have no problem doing that. I’m confident in my football team. I’m confident in myself. I’m confident in this organization. I make no apologies for those statements I say.”

Crowder also took exception with Ryan claiming he hadn’t heard of him.

“Oh, Lord have mercy,” Crowder said. “What’s wrong with him? Now he’s talking about preparation? We play them twice this year. If he wants to be prepared, shouldn’t he know the starting middle
linebackers of his division rival?”
---------------------------------------

Answer - NO. He justs needs to know your number. He could care less what your name is...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

zeke, What San Jose needs is another sucky software developer.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to add Toronto to the list. Not sure how viable football would be south of the border. The fans might need more protection than the players.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

If you'r talking media Markets it would be:

Los Angeles- Sticks out like a dislocated thumb
Sacramento- too close to SF and Oakland
Orlando
Portland- After watching the U of O's imperialization when they were #1, hopefully no, but the hippies may bite..
San Antonio- How many fartball games can the nation of Texas take??
Salt Lake City- Whose glasses do you need here??
Norfolk- Aside from a naval base, what the f*ck is it??
Las Vegas- What's the over/under on oblivion??
Columbus, OH- Who the f*ck died and gave Columbus an NFL team??
Oklahoma City.-What do you call a chainsawed human head?? "Worst case of Oklahoma City-head I've ever seen.."

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

shots fired at Holocaust Museum....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 12:55 PM

Its not my panties doing that; I just don't wipe very well.

4th, aren't you supposed to be doing some math or something? [the downside of referrals]

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

shots fired at Holocaust Museum....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 1:47 PM |

I thought some of the posters up here were strange until I just read a few of the comments on the WaPo site reporting the shootings. Scarey that a lot of these people have drivers' licenses or ride public transportation with my kids.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

shots fired at Holocaust Museum....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 1:47 PM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Purdue Broilermakers - very good, very good... Thanks for the list of Media Markets, etc.

But here's a real question - is the NFL so golden that even in a city like, say, Norfolk, they would sell out games and turn a profit immediately?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 10, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

what bothers me is if you click to see the live news coverage you get an ad. Sure, in this day & age that's what happens - but man, profiting off people's misery... how "Network" can you get??

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 10, 2009 1:58 PM |

Well, just to be a smart azz, I'd say it depends on how big the stadium is.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 2:01 PM

I think the point is that YOU GET LIVE NEWS COVERAGE and you don't have to pay a nickle to get it. Someone has to pay. You won't find it on PBS.

Anyway, the profit is not off people's misery. It is off our curiousity about their misery.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"So training camp opens July 30....anyone know if there are any more mini-camps between now and then?"

This is the NFL Silly Season.

Things are so boring that both sharks and Drew Rosenhous stop moving.

The NFL rookie symposium will be held in South Florida in a couple of weeks, and every stripper in the state is working with her financial planner to make the most of the event.

Got DirecTV?: If you refuse to watch another "NFL Greatest Games-the Cowboys v. (fill in team name), the sports package channels are replaying a lot of last season's college football games.

I plan to get a full season of Brian Orkapo--UT and Kevin Barnes--UM.

Of course, the AL East MLB baseball race is tantalizing.

Can you imagine the Fall Drama of: Yanks v. Dodgers.

Torre v. Girardi and the Evil Empire.

I can hear Jack Buck now.

Other than that, there's no football.

No OTAs, no mini-camp, and no preseason backslapping press conferences where Brett Favre announces he glad to be a (Fill in team name) before retiring without performing.

So go out and barbeque, work on the golf game, swim, re-connect with the wife and kids, refinance the mortgageand take the money to finance a visit to a theme park (it's that expensive), or just chill.

'Cuz it's the silly season, there's no football, and sometimes you just have to relax and stop moving.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

For me.

Worst uniforms,

10. New England's All Blue
9. Philly Black Jersey
8. New Cards
7. SF Throwbacks w/o logo on helmet
6. Philly Yellow-jackets
5. Tennessee (all combos of all colors)
4. New Orleans Gold Jerseys (do they still wear these?)
3. New Cinci Orange jersey
2. New Vikings
1. Lime Green Seahawks for next season.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Can you imagine the Fall Drama of: Yanks v. Dodgers" Moe, stop right now....otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed come October....

Didn't the jets have some pretty hideous uniforms, something like black and baby-crap orange recently??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 10, 2009 1:58 PM |

I would say you could pull 50-60K in Norfolk/VA Beach. What you have to remember is that the Whole Hampton Roads area is arround 2 million people which is bigger then several of the current NFL markets.

The NFL would at most expand to 40 teams and I think that won't be the case for another 25-30 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

shots fired at Holocaust Museum....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 |

Its the hot dog vendors. I always thought it was weird that ARAB AL-QAIDA hot dog vendors would be selling knockwurst right outside the Holocaust Museum...no sh*t...

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

The navy white and mustard yellow "NY Titans" http://images.bleedinggreennation.com/images/admin/NYTitans_ActiveWindow.jpg

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

No, it's off their misery.

Just 'cause a kid will eat all the candy you'll give them doesn't mean all you should feed them is candy.

I don't stare at accidents, do you?

I was trying to find out what happened and if there's anything I need to do to secure my family (snipers anyone?). And perhaps more selfishly, once I found out it was over, how it would effect my commute.

And finally, Just because you don't pay at the point of delivery, doesn't mean you don't pay. The cost for those ads (which pay for the coverage) is spread accross the entire consumer base. You paid for it, so did I. We may as well watch, right? lol.

Heck - even when I pay UP FRON"T for something now I STILL have to suffer through ads. One of the main reasons I don't go to the movies anymore...

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I like the old school redskin faux-Criminole jersey the team rocked during Clueless Steve's tenure as head coach.

The helmet had a spear.

When you think about it, taking the imagine of the redskin off the helmet takes away some of the 'offensive racial overtunes' argument local Native American groups have lodged against the team.

Of course, given the mores of present team management, perhaps a fading green dollar bill would be better then a spear.

The theme would be: Money spent, hopes dashed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 2:14 PM |

Go buy a good book. Probably better than the movie, anyhow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe

There were groups then claiming that the spear was more raciest, portraying Native Americans as violent. I liked that jersey more then the normal Skins Jersey though, even though many said it was too Steelersesq

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 2:14 PM |

Go buy a good book. Probably better than the movie, anyhow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Or, go borrow one from the library..
-your friendly neighborhood punk librarian, frak...autonomedia and akpress rock, though....

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

They still make good books?

Last good one I read was First Circle.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 10, 2009 1:58 PM |

I think Jacksonville has to put garbage bags over a lot of their seats to keep from having their games blacked out. Norfolk is bigger than Jax, but still.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

This is the website of the guy who shot the guard at the holocaust museum:

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Scratch the surface of any communist and you'll find a capitalist ( or a Rockefeller-funded one, like Castro- all God's defense funding needs a scapegoat).. I ascribe to REAL earth-level capitalism...not monopolized GMO factory horsesh*t..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Well lets face it the Jaguars have been on borrowed time for years. Eventually the team will want a new stadium. Fan support has never been amazing, my family in florida was joking how the reason Jaxonville had blue uniforms was it made it harder to tell that all the fans were wearing gator jerseys.

With them being in the AFC South the team could be moved to a lot of cities/markets with out forcing a realignment. And with such a unoriginal name you can use it for any city.

Orlando Jaguars, Los Angels Jaguars, Little Rock Jaguars, Mississippi Jaguars

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

When you're talking about bad uniforms and the Redskins you have to mention the all-burgundy uniforms they sported last year against the Steelers. The only thing that looked worse than the uniforms, was the broken shutter offensive line...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I cant imagine what the tailgaiting would be like just before the Little Rock Jaguars game.

That whole half of the state would smell like bud light and mosquito repellant for months. Arkansas is no the end of the world, but you can definietly see it from there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 10, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Good point the Highschool looking all red was awful.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I always wanted a football team in Richmond or Norfolk to be called the Virginia Copperheads. A copper helmet and diamond snake pattern on the trim.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

alex

"...There were groups then claiming that the spear (on the redskin helmet) was more racist, portraying Native Americans as violent...."

Talk about the thought process of a bunch of clueless monkeys.

(Ooops: sorry for the slip)

I wonder how they feel about the tomahawking Atlanta Braves?

Or the Cleveland Indians' goofy, red-faced symbol--Smilin' Joe?

Now, that's what racist.

(WARNING: Bad Racial Joke Coming)

The equivalent to Smilin' Joe as the symbol of a professional baseball team would be, say, the image of Flava Flav being used to endorse the BET Awards.

I told you it was gonna be a bad joke.

I'm out for the day.

Sawx-Yanks tonite.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Moe,
I am not saying I agree with it, just remember it. THere are people offended by the name Chiefs

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

lol.. "lubricious." Yet more proof that sportswriters shouldn't try and use fancy words.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | June 10, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So that looks like the DK Breakfast Broiler...Dik.

That and 25 cents will get you a no-expense paid trip to the ER.

Since they never said what killed Luther V, I can only surmise it was the Luther burger with a side order of fries.

"No more rhyming and I mean it..."

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

You speak of the Truth, when you are there LIVE, you can see all the good and bad points, what needs to be done, feel it through your SKIN..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why someone named James Wenneker von Brunn would have something against the Holocaust

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 10, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

boarder,
It's those pernicious bowlers with their loquatious chit chat...at least that's what Cindy would like us to think.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeh, I barely finished half. And I shouldn'ta ordered it with mushrooms - they were sauteed :''[

But it was overall a delicious experience. I didn't eat a full meal again for 24 hours...

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

We never get it right, even when we land the talent, we put them in the wrong spot.

Laundry is a SS playing FS
Orakp is a DE playing LB
Randel El is playing the wrong WR position
Zorn should be OC, not HC
Snyder should be a fan, not an owner

What's next? Hiring a low budget actor as a GM?
Oh... wait...

apparently, the list goes on and on

Posted by: jgarrisn | June 10, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 10, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

If TE is right about that website then he is all kinds of crazy

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

I recall saying 'the more burgundy, the better'. But after seeing those unis, I was wrong.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If TE is right about that website then he is all kinds of crazy

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:19 PM

It came up on Bing, Google, and Wikipedia. And I know it's right because they just showed it on Fox News.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I have always wanted the team to just go with 1 time a actual old school burgundy and gold uniform for a game, like the Gold pants you see with Army/Navy a Burgundy jersey and a creative retro-helmet.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 3:21 PM

At least it was all burgundy. Imagine if they'd gone all gold.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Well those sources are good enough for me. Until we can get something more reliable. Seems the guy is an Anti-war, raciest rounded out crazy person.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

'the more burgundy, the better'.
Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 3:21 PM

I hear rumor this is the slug-line for Anchorman 2

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Announcer: [theme music begins] Channel 4 News, with five-time Emmy-award winning anchor Ron Burgundy. Champ Kind, Sports. Brick Tamland, Weather. And your reporter in the field, Brian Fantana. It's the Channel 4 News at 6:00.

Ron Burgundy: Good evening. I'm Ron Burgundy and here's what happening in your world tonight

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

beet beet

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Seems the guy is an Anti-war, raciest rounded out crazy person.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:30 PM |

Worse than that. He's anti-Fed. He went to jail for carrying a gun into the Federal Reserve to try to shoot up some of the Governors. How whack can you get that you're rattled by a bunch of monetary policy makers? "Ben Bernanke is ruining my life." Isn't that a Lyndon Larouche crusade, too?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse