Pedro Taylor Addressed The Team At Redskins Park This Morning

Sean's father, Pedro, flew to Ashburn today and addressed the team this morning in the main auditorium here at what I am told was a highly emotional meeting. Pedro Taylor and other family members flew here but are no longer in the building.

The Redskins were touched by his gesture and are now moving forward in something close to a normal Wednesday schedule, but obviously this is no normal day. It was a moving team meeting from what I gather.

The players are now shuttling back and forth to position meetings as I write this, but there will be no open locker room period around lunchtime. Those players comfortable with speaking about Sean, and what has already been another difficult day today, will do so.

Practice is still scheduled to begin around 2 pm, with a segment of that open to the media. Coach Joe Gibbs is scheduled to speak around 4 pm, after practice.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 28, 2007; 11:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quiet At Redskins Park
Next: Redskins Roster News (Disclaimer)

Comments

The more I learn and hear from his father, the more I am impressed. That is a very respectful and thoughtful thing to do at this time and I'm sure it took alot for him to do.. but he probably knew best what Sean would have wanted...

RIP Sean.

Posted by: EinVB | November 28, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

We have to move forward! Sean will always be in our hearts and always be a Redskin.
We have to start thinking about the future and who will take our beloved #21's spot.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

very very touching... this team definitely needed this...

I'm sure they were unsure and upset as to how to move forward with the utmost respsect to Sean and his family.

Glad to hear Pedro is the man he is...

Posted by: EinVB | November 28, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow, to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting. Probably wasn't a dry eye in the house.

jwilson- Not interested in fighting up here right now, but the only future these guys are looking at is the next hour, and then the next one after that. The time will come to address your concern at some point after they get through the rest of this season.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

jjwilson,

Man your a one trick pony. Here it is: Reed D and PP will split the duty with Vernon Fox for depth the rest of this season. Than, like a normal post season they will address team needs via free agency and draft. I am sure the secondary will be an area they discuss.

Not really much to talk about, especially now. Even if Taylor had ruptured a knee it would be the same. Kind of a non story given the area of the season and the CIRCUMSTANCES.

Believe me the off season will give us plenty of time to hash this out as fans, and for the team as an organization.

But please, enough of this right now.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 28, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

JJ,

Give it a rest... it will come in due time. But now is not it for heaven's sake... He died 18 hours ago and your talking about we have to move on... Let the mourning and healing occur and it will work themselves out...

Between, Landry, Doughty and Prioleau... They will hold it down. I have faith in them and apparently so did Sean based on Reed's comments.

Posted by: EinVB | November 28, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

One thing I was thinking about is what the appropriate showing of support at Sunday's game should be? The goal would be to honor Sean Taylor and to express solidarity with the team. I have a few ideas that I thought I'd throw out there through this forum (it might violate journalistic objectivity, but not sure of any other way to do this):

1. In addition to wearing the Number 21 decals on Sunday, the Redskins should (if possible to print so many between now and then) give each fan a Number 21 decal to put on their clothes at Sunday's game.

2. In addition to the moment of silence at Sunday's game, what if the fans observed a first quarter of silence (other than at any appropriate times to sing Hail to the Redskins). I'd say a whole game would be really neat, but seems hard to think that this could be practical.

3. Another possibility would be some type of continuous chant (perhaps "21"?) during the game or continuous singing of Hail to the Redskins (not related to Sean, but would be a show of support for the team in this time of crises and grief).

What do people think? Are there other ideas? How could we best spread the word on what to do?

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: trosenberg | November 28, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey all, I am just as devasted with this as all of you but the fact is he is gone.We will always remember him. People have already been asking about his friggin salary cap numbers so why not think about a replacement. Gibril Wilson is having a good year.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

greg,

If it's wrong of Wilbon to state an opinion ("I'm not surprised") about the shooting while Sean's fate is undetermined, is it also wrong for someone to ask him the question, "What is your reaction?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 28, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Someone on an earlier thread mentioned moving LaRon Landry to FS.

I think he should stay where he is, and they should keep Pearson Prioleau at FS for the rest of the season.

As for Taylor's past, everyone has a past. Most of us have errors in it. And so have many past Redskins, from Sonny Jurgensen to Joe Don Looney to John Riggins to Dexter Manley to Alvin Walton (another great safety, imo).

The media only hypes it because they're in the business of selling advertising space, and sensationalism sells better than understated fact.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 28, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

A simple....

"Seeeaaaaan - Tay - lor"

will do for me at frequent times throught the warmups and game on Sunday...

I think Fed-Ex field will be extrememly emotional for fans, coaches and players, but it will be rocking. Just you wait!

I wish I could be there for this one...

Posted by: EinVB | November 28, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I heard a rumor that CP was going to commemorate Sean by wearing 21 on sunday...

any truth at all to this...

Posted by: carsonspence | November 28, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that is an impressive feat by Mr. Taylor. He's conducting himself with such class and dignity in the face of overwhelming grief.

I know this is somewhat blasphemous, but if you have a chance, read the article in the Baltimore Sun by David Steele. Here is a snippet:

"Until something concrete is discovered that definitively links anything Taylor did previously in his life to what happened in the bedroom of his South Florida home - and that means an A-caused-B connection - nobody has the right to make that leap. There's nothing out there now that tells us that he did anything to bring this upon himself"

Amen.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Amazing.....what a special thing for Mr. Taylor to do...

Posted by: Lisa | November 28, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Taylor family. Truely remarkable to fly up here just to give the team some words of incouragement.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 28, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Thank you MR. Redskin21 for some insight as to what we should do now that Sean is gone. I think Reed should stay and we get make a trade for a FS next season.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

jjwilson -

Do you also worry about what food you are going to be able to eat on vacation next summer because you broke a tooth last night?

The season is over in January. Free agency is in March. The draft is in April. The answers will be found then, not now.

Give it a rest.

Posted by: tafka | November 28, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Of course he didn't bring it on himself.

The man was asleep in his own bedroom, a place where people feel the safest and most secure.

Home invasions are on the rise nationwide. There was a whole family murdered up near here (in Connecticut) a few months back in a home invasion robbery.

It's messed up.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 28, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the majority consensus here. The Redskins should take all the time they need to heal as individuals and as a team. Yes, Sean Taylor is deceased, but that doesn't mean the team needs to drop everything and say "ok, he's gone we're moving forward". I cannot imagine the Skins looking past the 1 O'Clock hour let alone looking toward this weekends game against Buffalo. Yes, these guys are professionals and are supposed to overcome the obstacles. But we're not talking about any obstacle, we're talking about death. Yeah, players get banged up from time to time during the season and the team moves on. But that is no comparison to a teammate being killed.

As for this weekend, it's going to be very emotional whether your going to be at FedEx or at home (like me) watching the game. I can promise you this. Joe Gibbs will rally this team together like never before. He will tell them to play their hearts out in memory of Sean and his family. Lastly he will tell them to hold nothing back and to run through Buffalo like wrecking balls through buildings.

Posted by: mlewis31 | November 28, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Carson;

I may be wrong, but i was under the impression that a player cannot switch his jersey number midseason.

The final roster opening day syas cp is 26. So unless he is resinged (i.e as if he were a FA like that Mix guy) he cannot change his number.

I think they instituted that because all you know a player by is his number, and switching numbers may be seen as a ploy i.e. something bellichck would do to throw of opposing teams.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 28, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

TA, read the Sun Article.

jjwilson, we get it, you want a new safety. Most of us aren't ready to move on. Give it a little more time...like March/April of next year.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about the jersey rule either, but I would bet Roger Goodell would give a pass (if necessary) to CP if he wanted to wear #21 Sunday, given the circumstances.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 28, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Another new post from Jason.

Posted by: tafka | November 28, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

New post....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually Tafka, I do. I also know that although Sean will be sadly missed. This is a business and a product and the team has to move on and think about putting the best product on the field. Sean's death is tragic and this team will pull together but you can't tell me that Snyder isn't thinking about what to do next year cause he is... so shut up.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't think CP moving to 21 would be done to throw a team off, that's rediculous. If he does it, it's in honor of his best friend and I think the league would give serious consideration to such a move. There is a difference in honoring your best friend and teammate and being a devilish spy like Bellicheck

Posted by: mlewis31 | November 28, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Also, there are rumblings that the funeral will most likely be on Monday in Miami. Nothing is set at this point, again, but this is what people are hearing and what might make the most sense."

Make most sense to who, the team? The funeral shouldn't revolve around the team's schedule, it should be whenever Taylor's family wants it to be.

Posted by: gerstenrc | November 28, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Also, tafka and Ein VB;

jj has a legitmate point. He is not being disrespectful, but maybe he has come to grips with Taylors death and is now wondering what will happen. Where else would he go for such info?

Just b/c you all think it is too early is rather irrelavant. What if I didnt get over it all year, and lashed out at anyone talking about replacing him week 17... would that make me right?

So the issue is that when you all think it is okay is not when eveyone else thinks it is okay.

Just trying to bring a little perspective on a tough week where everyones emotions are on tilt.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 28, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

jjwil, easy bud. We're all a little raw today. Lets all try and get along.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Zebra, I think the bigger thing was that jjwilson has brought this up in about 3-4 different posts. I think people were just asking him to drop his insistance that we name the new safety today.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

jjwilson -

In that case, why don't you give Mr. Snyder a call and discuss the issue with him? I am sure he will be interested in your comments and ideas. He probably doesn't have anything better to think about right now, either.

Posted by: tafka | November 28, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The man just died yesterday, there should be no talk of who replaces him. Where is your humanity?? I have no respect for any supposed skins fan wondering that today....just sick

Posted by: slckrick | November 28, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Zebraskins and gregmarino. I have been glued to this site since monday. Sean was reall coming into his own and to lose a telent like that is huge and will affect this team. I just don't want to see us go backwards from this thats is why I am looking for some answers regarding what a good projected solution would be in replacing such a star. As an organization we have worked hard aat establishing the safety position, I don't want to see it go.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@Gerstenrc

Are you saying that if one of your loved ones passed away you would want to hold the services before all off your extended family and friends could arrive in town? I'm sure that the Taylor family is thinking about themselves and the Redskins as well. Given the fact that Pedro flew up here today to address the team makes it seem more like this is one large family. I'm sure the Taylor's want the Redskins to be in attendance for Sean's service. Afterall, that would probably be what Sean would want. Besides, no one knows if his body has even been released from the ME's office yet...so until that is done nothing can be arranged.

Posted by: mlewis31 | November 28, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey tafka, whats his number?

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

A Skins fan hurting in Florida....I grew up in Montgomery County, MD and have burgundy and gold in my blood. A big thank you goes out to every Redskins fan up there. I'm honored to be associated with the most passionate fan base in the NFL. You've showed the NFL how much we stick together through the good and bad.

I realize this is a time of healing and mourning...and it will continue for a while. No matter what...come Sunday the players and coaches..have a chance to honor Taylor's memory by going out to their sanctuary and playing a football game. #21 will be on everyone's mind..make no mistake. But this team will do just as much honor to him by going out there and beating the hell out of Buffalo. Having never known Sean..I'd like to think in his competitor's heart..it's what he would've wanted.

Starts chanting...Sean "T" Sean "T" Sean "T" Sean "T" Sean "T" Sean "T" Sean "T"....come on let's go...get the chant going.

I've posted this video in other threads but if you haven't seen it...watch it.

Posted by: Jonamath | November 28, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Jonamath.....SEAN T!!!

I promise you that chant will erupt on Sunday and it's going to be VERY emotional.

Posted by: mlewis31 | November 28, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Id like to see each team lineup at respective 21 yard lines during the national anthem. Painting the endzones with his name might also be a nice touch since it was those endzones that he protected.

RIP
Sean Taylor

Posted by: gifford_jeremy | November 28, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Skins should only send out 10 players on their first Defensive series to honor Sean.

Posted by: ws166680 | November 28, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Sean Taylor would want the team playing as hard as he did and the fans cheering as hard as Redskins fans are known to do.

Posted by: CHICO13 | November 28, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse