'Personal Issues' Kept Landry Away

LaRon Landry's absence from organized team activities had drawn speculation that the third-year safety was unhappy in Washington and might be posturing for a trade, but Landry, who participated in the final OTA today at Redskins Park, said that he had been taking care of "personal issues."

"I was doing a couple personal things," said Landry, who was sporting a new piercing on his lower lip. "And through the missed [practices], all that, I still stayed in shape and I came out today and I got a couple things to catch up with in the playbook, but as far as my physical ability and endurance it's all there."

Though organized team activities are not mandatory, Landry was the only Redskins player who had not made at least one appearance at the OTAs. Landry said he had been working out both at his home in New Orleans and in Arizona.

Other players missed days during the workouts, including linebacker London Fletcher, running back Clinton Portis, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and fullback Mike Sellers. But Landry's extended no-show drew more attention when Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said last week that he had been unable to get in touch with Landry and that several phone calls and text messages had gone unreturned.

That prompted rumors that Landry was looking to be traded. But yesterday the former LSU-standout denied he was looking to be shopped to another team.

"Nah, not at all," Landry said. "I love it here. Trade, I don't know where that's coming from."

Landry said he met with Zorn and defensive coordinator Greg Blache on Wednesday. And Zorn said that he was "pleasantly surprised" to see Landry in his office after a staff meeting and that the two discussed the reasons for Landry's absence.

"We talked for about 15 or 20 minutes and I think we're definitely on the same page," Zorn said. "He's been working out, he's gotten himself ready to play, he's just done all the things away from the team. And being with the team and participating in the OTAs, it would be better. But he's working his plan."

Zorn also said he cleared up any reasons why Landry had not been returning his phone calls and text messages.

"I said, 'What phone number do I have and what phone number do you really have?' So we kind of synchronized our phones," Zorn said. "And [the phone numbers] were different. ... These players, they change [phone numbers] and several texts came back to me and I was like, you know what I don't really have the right number. So we got synchronized and we're good."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 11, 2009; 3:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quad Pull Keeps Mike Williams Out
Next: Count Zorn Out of that Rainier Expedition

Comments

Can I be FIRST to call bs on this?

Posted by: RambleOn | June 11, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll 2nd your BS!

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

There's an ad for a calling plan in here somewhere.

Posted by: freakzilla | June 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of Lt. Frank Drebin from Naked Gun...'nothing to see here keep moving.'

Posted by: az_david | June 11, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, So if it changed, Landry should have alerted the Coach, Owner, GM, and Agent (at least). He SOMEBODY on the team had Landry's number. So I doubt that he didn't know that Zorn was trying to contact him (and even if he didn't know, why wouldn't he call just to let someone know what was going on). Sorry Laron, I am not biting. There may be "personal issues," but no communication is not excusable.

Posted by: moosepod | June 11, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I guess that LaRon doesn't have access to the internet where he trains and did not know that this was making headlines in DC. Also, I assume that not one of his teammates had his "new" cell phone number to be able to pass it to Coach Zorn. It is unbelieveable the amount of disrespect that Landry has shown Zorn. I have lost a lot of respect for LaRon as a man. All I have to say is that he better play better than he did last year, because he was not impressive.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | June 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Lower lip piercing? Was LL coming out of the closet when he was away?

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 11, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The mature player shows up. If personal issues come up, you call the team -- not hope the team calls you.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

So, I'll repeat -- I'm 23 years old, and the boss is calling to see if I can come in and work the weekend.
And you're criticizing me for strolling in on Monday claiming that I've switched phone numbers?

Posted by: daggar | June 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

BTW, zcezcest1 when did you graduate from CU?

Posted by: moosepod | June 11, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess in the NFL you can't claim that it was medical issues -- but many times I've claimed to suffer from temporary blindness: I just couldn't see coming into the office...

Posted by: daggar | June 11, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, LaRon is Sean Taylor early in his career. Sean pulled this same crap on Joe Gibbs of all people! LaRon seems to be extremely introverted and could probably care less what Zorn said to him in those 15-20 minutes. He is just an overpaid classless thug who has not proven a thing in the NFL to expect special treatment. Why can't our scouting department identify immature players BEFORE they draft them?

Posted by: NCMatt1 | June 11, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Com'on folks, give LL a break. I mean, who among us getting paid seven figures hasn't blown off the boss to the pt. of not even returning phone calls? Oh. That's right. None of us. Because none of us would be stooooooopid enuff to risk f-ing up a job that pays MILLLIONS to play a friggin' GAME!

Well, I gotta go. My lunch break is over and unlike LL, I get fired if I blow off work. Must be nice.

Posted by: hogmeister | June 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

He is just an overpaid classless thug

Matt...take a breath, and relax, you WAY, WAY over shot your target with that line...lighten up a little....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Lower lip piercing? Was LL coming out of the closet when he was away?

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 11, 2009 4:02 PM

Yeah, nicely done there Ryp. Superb way of showing that you're culturally "in the closet" on sexuality.

It's known that hetrosexual men sport piercings -- everywhere. I myself have the left and right ear lobes pierced -- some dudes (older heads) will think that's a sign of homosexuality. I call it swagger, minus the old dude old spice scent.

I'd say that given the way Landry dresses and his sort of "wild child" style and ways, he may definitely have a little Dennis Rodman in him, and if he can equate on the football field what Rodman did on the basketball court, I'm good with Landry = Dennis Rodman.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Well Greg, that is the way that I feel. Take it for what it is worth. You can defend his actions if you want to, but I will continue to call it like I see it.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | June 11, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Please just kill Eli, Rom-ho, and Donovan McGroundball...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 11, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

He is just an overpaid classless thug

Matt, wasn't defending what he did, however you're making a big deal out of nothing. What did he do that was classless, or make him a thug?? You're way off base on this one.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your opinion Greg, I appreciate it. You really think that this is nothing? How is Zorn supposed to command the respect of this team when a guy who has not done a thing in this league can just blow him off without even thinking for one second how it demeans the head coach in public? Stunts like this really hurt the credibility of a head coach with their team. If you can't see that then you are blind.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | June 11, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Not showing up for "work" (in quotes because OTA's are "voulantary") and not calling your boss does make him classles, just not a thug.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

ncmatt1: "Why can't our scouting department identify immature players BEFORE they draft them?"

I'm with you, bubba. Plus why can't Redskins Insider identify all the immature twits BEFORE they get a chance to post here?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Too bad he missed most of ota but all the thug stuff needs to stop. He has tattoos, who cares? Classless? Let's see, he does everything asked on the field without complaining about switch to fs. He's played 2 years and been good, give him a break. They need to go ahead and just make otas mandatory if this is what happens to guys that miss them.

People would really have something to complain about if we drafted okoye or jamaal Anderson or any of the other d ends everyone wanted the skins to take that year.

Posted by: AdamCr | June 11, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

He needs to get on Master Shake's Boost Mobile Plan.

"Where you AT, dawg?"

Posted by: McMetal | June 11, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

He is just an overpaid classless thug

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

He may be overpaid and did not show class staying out of contact with his head coach, but where is there any proof that he is a thug, or do you just think all young black men are thugs?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | June 11, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"I'm hoping in those 15-20 minutes in Zorn's office, Zorn told Landry that he needs to grow as a person to become the player he is capable of becoming. That sort of thing is best done behind closed doors.Posted by: zcezcest1"

Just imagining that conversation:

Coach: "I feel you need to grow as a person to become the player you are capable of becoming."

Player: "What's that mean?"

Coach: "What's what mean?"

Player: "Grow as a person. What are you talking about?"

Coach: "You don't know what that means?"

Player: "Not really."

Coach: "Well, it means be more mature. Be responsible. Pay attention to your obligations."

Player: "Like what?"

Coach: "Like... make a living. Take care of your loved ones. Pay your taxes."

Player: "I do that now."

Coach: "Sure you do, I'm just sayin', you need to keep doing that. Do more of it even."

Player: "Pay more taxes?"

Coach: "No, I'm sayin... I'm just sayin' -- LOOK, SHOW UP FOR THE G-D PRACTICES, WILLYA?

Player: "Gotcha, Coach."

Coach: "Okay, then."

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

he must be ready for his drug tests now. the effects of drugs have worn out of his system.

Posted by: rls1041 | June 12, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Zorn is starting to bug me more and more the off season progresses. We better start winning.

Posted by: BMACattack | June 13, 2009 5:51 AM | Report abuse