Westbrook's injury causes concern

Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook, a Washington native who attended DeMatha, suffered a concussion in the first quarter of Monday's game and caused a brief scare at FedEx Field when he remained on the turf for a few minutes without visible movement of his extremities.

The injury occurred when Westbrook's helmet collided with Redskins linebacker London Fletcher's knee.

"I turned around and saw that he wasn't moving, and initially, I thought he was just knocked out or whatever," Fletcher said. "But as it went on, I didn't see his legs moving. I did get very concerned for his well being. You don't want to anyone to be seriously injured on the football field. So I did get a little concerned for him, and I was just praying that he would move his lower extremities. Once he did, I was very happy about it."

Redskins cornerback Byron Westbrook, Brian's brother, came onto the field while Brian was being attended by the Eagles' training staff. Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb consoled Byron and Eagles Coach Andy Reid motioned for him to stay on the field. Byron was by Brian's side when Brian stood, minutes after the collision, and received applause from the FedEx Field crowd.

"I thought it was important he stayed there," Reid told reporters. "They were doing their job trying to get people away, but I think it's a little different when it's your brother."

By Zach Berman  |  October 27, 2009; 2:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davis makes most of Cooley's absence
Next: Tuesday morning quick links

Comments

Hope he's alright. From up in 426 we weren't sure who it was at first, but when we saw a Redskin there it became obvious that it was Brian Westbrook, since that Skin was clearly his brother Byron. Classy by the refs and Eagles to let him stay by his brother and classy reaction by everyone around me when Brian got up.

Not going to get into the Redskins on field product here since I have nothing good to say about that.

Posted by: rawk | October 27, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rawk
__________________

Their "on field product"? You mean their Yugo of a team? Look it just needs a couple of tweaks and it'll be running like a Ferrari. Or like a Frerotte, into a wall.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 27, 2009 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Playcalling actually was better. And they didn't quit. But there's still no O-line or QB. And with Carlos Rogers' play, it's increasingly clear he's a fraud too.

So now we need new starters at QB, OT (both), G, C, CB, OLB, RB. Thank god we have Cerrato in charge of acquiring talent, he'll handle all 8 needs this offseason. That's only 36% of the starting line-up.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 27, 2009 3:20 AM | Report abuse

chasgiffen,

Funny. I agree. I saw some elements in the play calling that actually made sense to me at times. The execution was still lacking obviously, but the plan was improved.

The things this team needs are beyond one offseason even if we have 15 draft picks. I say start with 2/3 offensive lineman and go from there. As bad as ours is, anything else makes little to no sense. Of course, we'll probably draft a QB, RB, CB, WR or any other position first.

Posted by: rphilli721 | October 27, 2009 4:34 AM | Report abuse

How can a team play as badly as the Redskins did and only lose by ten points? The Redskins' inept play distracted from the fact that the Eagles really aren't a very good team, especially when Westbrook's not in the lineup.

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Blow it up and move on Snyder, I will see you in two weeks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 27, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

A lot of positives last night!

11-5 and NFC Champs!

Posted by: joinnow | October 27, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Has anybody got JEFF GARCIA'S E/MAIL ADD.?

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Just bench JC for the rest of the season and start Collins. Those who are saying Collins will get killed because he isn't mobile need to realize that Collins will go through his progressions MUCH quicker than JC and find his receiver before he gets rushed, at least most of the time. No need in having JC play anymore anyways, our season is over and JC isn't coming back. It would be nice to see what an average QB like Collins could do. JC barely rates as a below average QB in my view.

Posted by: BacktoGlory | October 27, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Why does the Redskins.com highlight reel show mostly Eagles plays? Who wants to see that s@@t!

Posted by: Salinas1 | October 27, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

chasgriffin

"So now we need new starters at QB, OT (both), G, C, CB, OLB, RB."

True.

And the sad thing is, the offensive linemen could've been had in the '08 and '09 drafts.

Which again goes back to the guy picking the players: is Vinny Cerrato still so arrogant in the defense of his selection of talent that he can't see that it's his lack of sound judgement and not the fault of 'playcalling' or anything else?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

"Why does the Redskins.com highlight reel show mostly Eagles plays?"

I don't know about y'all, but I'm all for hiring away some people from the iggles personnel department.

They lost a starting middle linebacker, have a nice tight end, released two starting tackles, traded for a tackle, rebuilt their o-line on the fly, drafted a speedy receiver/punt returner, found a great punter, lost Westbrook and replaced him with a solid rookie running back, traded a receiver for picks, traded a cornerback for picks, and look like they are about to make a run at the NFC East crown.

Somebody in that iggle personnel department knows what he's doing.

Let's hire that guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

@ mistamoe: trading players for picks isn't in Vinny's vocabulary. Sad.

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | October 27, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse