Phillip Buchanon's best game yet

Nickel cornerback Phillip Buchanon got off to a rough start in his first season with the Redskins.

In the Week 2 loss to Houston, Buchanon blew his assignment late in the fourth quarter on a play that resulted in a 34-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Matt Schaub to wide receiver Andre Johnson. The Texans tied the score on the successful point-after attempt and won in overtime, 30-27.

The nine-year veteran also was demoted from the first-string punt return job after he had three fair catches and a 0.5-yard average on two returns. Rookie wide receiver Brandon Banks has thrived in the role since.

Focused exclusively on defense now, Buchanon had his best performance with the Redskins in Sunday night's 27-24 loss to the Indianapolis Colts at FedEx Field. Buchanon played well in coverage and was credited with five tackles, including four unassisted.

Of his three passes defensed in the game, two occurred in the final 3 minutes, as the Colts attempted to run out the clock. In press-man coverage against Pro Bowl wideout Reggie Wayne, Buchanon twice broke up passes.

Only 14 seconds elapsed on the clock from the time the Colts received the ball until they punted. The Redskins could not pull closer than three points, but Buchanon did his job.

"What was going on in my mind was, coach [Jim Haslett] says we was going to call man to man," said Buchanon, who defended three passes in his first five games. "I just said, 'I'm gonna line up and press 'em. I just got to do what I got to do.' That was my decision. I just said, 'Whatever happens, I'm just going to play hard.' "

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning made things especially difficult for the Redskins' defense. Of course, that's what Manning usually does.

"Peyton, he was hurrying up and he was snapping the ball real quick and we were kind of off balance," Buchanon said. "He kind of got us to think too much and overanalyzing. I know I overanalyzed on two plays. He kind of had us on our heels."

By Jason Reid  | October 18, 2010; 2:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins lowest-ranked defense not executing
Next: Chris Cooley to be examined after concussion

Comments

I would be upset if the Redskins do not try to make this team better, at least with one position before the trade deadline. A big WR, a Center or Right Guard, DT, and corner all needs to be considered. Maybe even another RB. But they need to at least attempt to make this team better before the deadline.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see that rocco, but what are we gonna use to barter, I think ham sandwiches are going out of style.

Hey, maybe some of beeps fries he makes at work!

Posted by: monk811 | October 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

rocco...please clarify what you want the skins to do at the trade dealine again....

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Flacco is not a top QB in the league by any measure.

Flacco has an incredible arm.

He makes the best throws and does so effortlessly.

Brees is the most accurate all over the field.

In fact, the young'n Sam Bradford is another guy who spits out pretty spirals.

Tampa's Josh Freeman is ssomeone to watch, too.

Manning looks efficient, but Brady, to me, is the better thrower.

Roethlisberger can make great accurate throws on the run or with some dude trying to pull him down.

Rivers throws a great deep ball, but McNabb is the best deep ball thrower.

And now that he's changes his change, Mike Vick is another guy with a great arm.

MSanchez has a good deal of help and he tosses a pretty ball, too.

Point?: there are a lot of very good quarterbacks in the league right now.

A few years ago, folks whined that the quarterback play wasn't all that.

Now, just about every team has 3 solid ball catchers and a golden boy to throw them passes.

The NFL is indeed a passing league.

And everywhere you look ('cept Oak, Buff, Cleveland, Carolina), there are a lot of good passers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, all we have to do to get Rogers to hold onto the ball is trade him. He'll catch EVERYTHING then. That said, I had expectations of 8-8 this year. It is both encouraging to see us win close games we would have lost last year and disappointing to see us lose close games but nobody could expect Shanny to get all his pieces in place in one off season. I look forward to BIG things next year!!! HTTR!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The only saving grace for this defense is that it's causing turnovers on occasion. I only recall one 3 and out, and Manning being hit once last night.
Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2010 2:44 PM

I admit to making fun of them in the offseason when they claimed that “the 3-4 defense will cause more turnovers”……Okay, so they were right statistically speaking. I think it’s more of an aggressive attitude with our guys hitting in a lights out manner as well as flying to the ball. Something I really don’t think that Blache preached. Our Special teams unit is causing some turnovers too, and they don’t run a 3-4 special teams last I checked. It’s more of a culture change if you ask me…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 18, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This wasn't an instance that involves the Calvin Johnson Rule...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No, but this was clearly an instance of the Carlos Rogers Rule. As in, "If the ball is in his hands, he must drop it."

The referees only conferred to get a better interpretation of the rule from the guys upstairs. And after consulting the official rule book, they concluded the Rogers Rule is as certain and uncompromising as the Law of Gravity.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 2:52 PM

Haynesworth to the Texans for Slaton. I heart Haynesworth but, for better or worse, the team has gotten to 3-3 with significant contributions from him in only one of those wins. Plus Skins desperately need to bolster the running game, esp. if Torain really is hurt. Roster space appears for another defensive down lineman (if the Skins ever use one again) by putting Portis on IR. Haynesworth for Slaton is the type of the rumor I warm to. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Posted by: dcsween | October 18, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor:
"This wasn't an instance that involves the Calvin Johnson Rule..."

What distinguishes it from the Calvin Johnson Rule in your mind? It seems to me, his TD and CR22's INT were removed for the exact same reason... after catching the ball, they went to the turf and quickly let the ball go.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 18, 2010 2:46 PM

...Now to breaking newz.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

If the ball is in his hands...

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Wait. He has hands? All evidence is to the contrary...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Buchanon finished well, but he had a pretty lousy start. In my mind, tackles by a corner back are not a good barometer of performance. The corner's job is to keep the receiver from catching the ball in the first place - not watching the guy catch it and then tackle him. Buchanon makes too many mental errors to my liking and I think Barnes must be really bad for Buchanon to maintain his hold on the nickel corner job.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2010 3:01 PM

Brilliant!

Also, John Thompson just cussed on the radio when discussing Hayneworth...He pretty much called the whole situation Bullsh!t regarding about playing HAynesworth irregardless..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

If we could get VJackson for a 2, I would take it. I would look at Shaun Rogers of the Browns, who when healthy can be a beast...Albert for him maybe? Then how about looking at the Nnamdi Asmoga. The Raiders normally don't make good trades, so maybe Albert and Carlos, and maybe a late draft pick for him? Then just trying to bring in a Center or Right Guard. We have to at least look at these holes and try to fix them.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Media peppering MS about AH not playing.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I bet Torain isn't hurt. He tore his knee up a couple years ago. It's SOP to ice your knee after every game/practice after having surgery like he did.

Posted by: psps23 | October 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

BREAKIN NEWZ:

Chris Russel said he received a text from a "source" close to HAynesworth, or as we say in RI, HAynesworth texted Chris Russel.....

....And he said the 'source' said Albert desparately wanted to play, but the coaching staff wouldn't let him. And that Albert fears he'll never get out of Shanny's doghouse. Woof Woof.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Media cornering MS on the AH trade question. Sounds like he's not going anywhere.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Point?: there are a lot of very good quarterbacks in the league right now.

A few years ago, folks whined that the quarterback play wasn't all that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 18, 2010 2:58 PM

But after the golden boy on nearly every one of those teams, the drop off slides right past silver and bronze and into plastic. [minus Pittsburgh ... dcsween hearts Charlie Batch.] Also, Matt Cassel and Carson Palmer (this year anyway) are worse than plastic ... maybe styrofoam or tin foil or something made in China.

Posted by: dcsween | October 18, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Media asking back to back to back times 100 AH questions......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Our secondary reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.

CR22-Is toto. You can expect him to catch the ball with those little paws.
KM41-Is the cowardly Lion because he's too afraid to tackle.
DH23-Is Dorothy beause he's usually way over in Oz instead of back in Kansas where the heck he belongs.
LL-Is the scarecrow because nobody that bites on that many double moves and pump fakes can possibly have a brain.
PB31-Is the tin man because he's old and starting to rust.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 18, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Perfect! So this means that all I have to do is drop a hit of acid before the next game and "Everything will come together and start making sense!" for the D?

And while I'm at it I'll press play on The Wall exactly at the moment Gano shanks the opening KO out of bounds.

Who knew the key to figuring out our D was so easy?!?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather trade DHall than Carlos. At least Carlos is in position to make INTs; and when he doesn't make them, he at least breaks up the pass. DHall just gets toasted down the line. He played awful yesterday.

Posted by: psps23 | October 18, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

BREAKIN NEWZ:

According to Shanny....Randy Moss is a HArvard Grad compared to HAynesworth!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Rocco...

Was thinking more along the lines of AH92 and CR23 to the Raiders for JC8 -- who we will then immediately trade for a 6th round pick and autographed picture of Hasselback's wife from the Seahawks.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Media asking back to back to back times 100 AH questions......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse
--------------------

Positive that's not J Reid moving around the media room and changing his voice?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 18, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

If I am Carlos Rogers, I go find out what kind of gloves Philip Garcon wears. There is no way you make a one handed grab like he did last not without fly paper taped on your gloves. Carlos needs a little of that...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 18, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I think making any trades now is dumb. Hold on to whatever draft picks you have left and go from there.

We made a lot of changes for this year, but we'll have to roll with what we got, you can't totally rebuild a team in 1 year!

There should be a good crop of FA's available for next year, just wait and let the players currently on this team earn their way on or off the team.

It would be different if we were just 1 player away from taking us over the top, but I don't see anything out there worth breaking the bank or selling the farm for. What, a 28 year old receiver that has never caught more than 68 balls? You're better off with starting AA, calling up Austin from the Practice Squad and throwing more to Banks.

Posted by: monk811 | October 18, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 18, 2010 3:15 PM

Prob wouldn't help...his hand would just fall off.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 18, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Instead the gameplan was to have AH eat crabcakes in the owner's box while Carter, Holliday and Golston play ring-around-the-rosy hoping Manning will get confused.

Posted by: p1funk |

The trouble with your plan--a good one in theory--is all those crabcakes Albert's inhaled while not attending practices, preseason or season. As a result, he not only didn't know what rosey to play ring around, but he gave a guy with little clue little choice (Haslet).

Has Albert EVER played an entire drive since he's been a redskin? Had he tried against Peyton's hurry up, he not only would have been a defensive liability, he's have risked a heart attack.

Notice Kemoeatu didn't play much either. He knew the plays but was too gassable and immobile to play against Peyton.

Posted by: TheCork | October 18, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Those were 3 great plays by Buchanon and Landry. I really thought we were going to win the game when we got the ball back.

We should have run the ball when we had 2nd and 5. 3 chances to get 5 yards and had plenty of time. Our running game was shredding them.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 18, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 18, 2010 3:06 PM

Then Buchanon had a pretty good 4th quarter by that measure. That last three and out by Manning seemed like it was all Buchanon.

TWISI, as of today re: trade discussions, if Shanahan's lips are moving, he must be lying. [That said, upon close review, it appears that Shanahan has only a lower lip and nothing above.]

Posted by: dcsween | October 18, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I just looked at nfl.com and they didn't have the play. I have it home, though. I was extremely surprised no one brought up that theory during the telecast...

That was the longest I ever saw CR22 hold onto a ball....I replayed that play at home too many times....3 Steps and fumble caused by ground....................

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 2:40 PM |

Watch it again closely. The ground didn't cause the fumble. Carlos's thigh hit the ball on the way to the ground and knocked it loose. Then he hit the ground and the ball flew out. He was already dropping it on the way to the ground.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention that trades for high priced FAs makes no sense in a lock-out season. And I'm going ova 100% on the odds of a lockout: 'ahundertfitypercent'

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 18, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Personally I am super excited about this season.

Next up is Chicago, who I think we will wax.

Then Detroit, who is down to their 3rd string QB.

5-3 at the halfway point isn't too bad.

I know the loss last night sucks, but it was against a great team.

Plus Torain looks like the real deal.

I think the D will rebound against Chicago, sacking the bejeezus out of Cutler.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 18, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

From Rich Campbell:

Just finished re-watching all 21 of Ryan Torain’s touches from last night. He broke 12 tackles and had 85 yards after contact. #Redskins 23 minutes ago

...and some of those yards after contact were just getting back to the line of scrimmage. The blocking for him was better but inconsistent. 22 minutes ago

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"I say once he caught the ball and took 3 steps (backwards albeit) shows a 'football move', then in the next half of a second he hit the ground which caused the fumble...."

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:03 PM

I'm glad that it worked to our advantage, but by any reasonable definition, Rogers' play was an interception and a fumble, just as Calvin Johnson should have been credited with a TD in the Lions' opening- day game. The plays were called in accordance with the NFL rules, but two feet on the ground plus control of the ball should equal interception (or reception, as the case may be). This "maintaining control all the way to the ground" business makes for some strange results, as we have seen.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 18, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 18, 2010 3:14 PM

Sounds like this statement is from your heart rather than with your head....care tp rephrase?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 18, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else graze SI's Photo section and take a look at the "Nascar Fans @ so and so speedway" every week?

Wow, there are some characters in those photo galleries.

take a look see if you're bored

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 18, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Look at it this way. We need a big WR. I know we get Kelly back next year, but we have so many holes, where are we going to get one? Unless Shanny really luvs AJ Green, Julio Jones, or some of those other guys, I don't see us going WR in the 1st round. We probably would go D Line. So if we have a chance to dangle our 2nd round pick for VJ83 I would do it, b/c who's to say we won't be in this same situation next year? I like AA13 but we really need a big guy to start across from him and move Tana in slot.

As for corner, I wouldn't trade DHall, b/c he is lyk Asante Samuel, they both give up a lot of plays..but they make a lot also. DHall is a playmaker. Every defense needs one. We just need a true cover corner who can also catch a ball when thrown at him. Carlos non catches has become a liability. I could care less what he may do on the Raiders, if we get Nnamdi.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 18, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What necessitated the Redskins trading draft choices for players this first year under Shanahan was the rules regarding free agency in an uncapped year.

Don't expect to see Allen and Shanahan trade a #1 or #2 pick again any time soon.

Next offseason 4th and 5th year players will be in the pool of talent and the chance to add players who can impact the roster will be out there.

The key is to be able to slice payroll on guys whose careers are winding down or who just aren't performing up to their contracts.

That's what the Redskins did this past offseason in letting Griffin, Betts, Thomas and a host of other players go.

That will continue in 2011 when you will see Portis, Derrick Dockery, and a number of other veteran players released.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 18, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor:
"This wasn't an instance that involves the Calvin Johnson Rule..."

Posted by: Alan4

that first pick by rogers was actually an int. he caught the ball, he secured the ball and the only fault of his is that he didn't cradle the ball w/ both hands as he landed. that ground caused the ball to come out and by nfl rules, the ground can't cause a fumble. the second pick attempt was simply brick hands in effect. i think moore dropped that potential pick only because the intended receiver and corner were close to him. that's poor concentration!

Posted by: charronegro1971 | October 18, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse