Posted at 12:04 PM ET, 12/29/2010

Phillip Daniels hopes to return for at least one more season

By Rick Maese

Defensive end Phillip Daniels, who was placed on injured reserve last week, says he hopes to return to play at least one more season in the NFL -- preferably with the Redskins.

Daniels has 15 seasons under his belt and will be 38 years old at the start of the next season. He's reached a point in his career where he's only looking at the next season, and he says he already knows he wants to play in 2011.

"I haven't had no conversations with anybody. I talked with Coach, he told me they gonna put me on IR, just told me to get ready for next year. That's all I can go off right now," Daniels said. "But at the same time, knowing me, I just go out and work hard this offseason. I'll be ready to go. With this lockout looming and all this stuff going on, I just go out and train. If they call me back, then I'm ready to go. I think I got another couple of years in me. I just take it one year at a time."

The Redskins placed Daniels on injured reserve following the Week 15 game at Dallas. Daniels said he suffered a muscle tear in his groin, but it did not require surgery. "I feel pretty good," he said. "It's healing every day. I heal fast anyway, so that's pretty good."

Daniels could be among the players who actually benefits from a possible lockout. The owners and the NFL Players Association can't reach a new labor deal by March 3, the 2011 season and the free agency period that precedes it will be thrown into uncertainty.

If there's a limited offseason, coaches might not be as willing to bring in outsiders who are unfamiliar with their system. Daniels has experience now in the 4-3 defense and the 3-4 base, which could make him attractive.

"If there is a lockout, you can't just go out and get guys who don't know your system," Daniels said. "I think that's in my favor. ...I think with the lockout looming, teams aren't going to go out there and get guys who don't know the system and things like that."

By Rick Maese  | December 29, 2010; 12:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall named to Pro Bowl despite drop-off in interceptions, Redskins' last-ranked defense
Next: Clinton Portis says he can still be a top-flight back

Comments

bring him back as the team trainer...put him in charge of strength training...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Back as a staff member: Yes. As a player: Just say no!

Posted by: demonj21 | December 29, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

London Fletcher will be 36 next season.

What do you think of that?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Apples and oranges, dude. London Fletcher is under contract and not looking for a long term deal.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton or Bust!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

If he wants to come back, he'll be back. Dude can bench press a Metrobus, who's gonna tell him he's cut?

Posted by: TheCork | December 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I love Phillip. A man of his strength and dedication to the team should be brought back if it's doable. Over the last couple seasons, all I ever remember hearing about PD by the analysts/commentators during games was about how freakishly huge his arms are.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton = Bust!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Fixed it for ya.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Phillip Daniels hopes to return for at least one more season"

Why, so we can hear his self-righteous ass pop off about what teammates aren't doing and how he feels about it when he isn't contributing a damn thing himself? Yeah, that it: Talk about other distractions and how their actions have irked you while you play on possibly the worst defensive line in the league. Yeah, nice perspective their, Lord Daniels.

What has Daniels ever done besides gain a reputation as a power lifter? Looks like all the lifting in the world can't mask lack of talent, Phil.

One, Phil. I ain't missin' ya t'all. All you've done is pontificate and took up a roster spot the last 5, 6 years.

Good & Bye.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 29, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Red DMV sums my thoughts up perfectly. This dude should have been off our roster 5 years ago. Get him outta here!

Posted by: keino83 | December 29, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm big PD fan for his teamwork, work ethic, and his character. BUT..

He should be brought back only as a coaching intern or to help with the Strength coaches.

This is a rebuild. I could make an argument for Holliday but not my guy PD.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

----------
He's a run stuffer, and he did that very well in the 4-3. But he's another guy not really built for the new system. You don't stick around in the NFL for 15 years without talent.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 29, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

diesel44

Anybody out there seen the movie True Grit?

Moe's Movie Recommends:

Black Swan: see it with a chick or the wife--great film

The Fighter: see it with a dude--excellent sports film (true story)

True Grit: we'll get to it this weekend.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeh. No wonder media wonks like him. You have to give him credit for work ethic. And he's contributed over the years...

... but 39? might be time to hang it up.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

pro bowl = pro blow

Posted by: hessone | December 29, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM

Not an apples to apples comparison, just sayin' that if Fletch can ball out at 35, maybe CR22 (6 years younger) can play at a high level for a few more years.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 29, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Moe. Mrs. Nate and I are probably going to see "Black Swan" this week on a rare date outing. And I'm going to check out "True Grit" this weekend with a friend.

Excited about both of them, and about seeing a movie on the big screen, which I don't do very much any more.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Good & Bye.

Posted by: RedDMV |

Don't tell us, tell him, Big Man.

Posted by: TheCork | December 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | December 29, 2010 12:42 PM

Actually he's the ideal 3-4 DE. He's 6'6 310 and has the strength you look for. He's the prototypical 3-4 DE, his only problem is that he's my age.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss: 'Meant For Me To Be' A Redskin

Posted Dec by Matt Terl

Today's sign that we've really reached the winding-down portion of the season: players who are facing free agency being asked about their futures with the team. Nearly everyone in the locker room said that they still had plenty of football left and that they hoped to play that football here. It's what you'd hope to hear, what you'd expect to hear, and it often doesn't actually mean all that much.

But Santana Moss's declaration -- he's currently slated to be a free agent after this season -- was particularly heartfelt.

"I don't feel like leaving is going to help me win games somewhere else," Moss said, frankly. "I feel that, you know, somewhere that you are comfortable with, that you feel like you can play, and your family can live and, you know, you can raise your family and live comfortably, and play a great game, and play at a high level. You know, why leave? So that's why I feel the way I feel."

Moss actually expressed a sense of belonging here that I don't think I had every heard him mention before. "I just feel like once I became a Redskin, I felt like it was meant for me to be here," Moss said. "Once I got that opportunity to come here, you know-coming into the league in 2001, I heard that's where I was going anyway. The whole week leading up to it, they had me under Washington, Washington, Washington. For whatever reason, the Jets got me. And when I got a chance to come anyway, I was like, hey, maybe it was meant. And when the career has went the way it went here, when it comes to just having the success I've had here, you know, you kind of say, well this must be the team for me."

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

He's 14 years old?

Posted by: TheCork | December 29, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

beeps--->

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Nobody's saying give Moss 7 years, $100 million...you pay him what he's worth, you do so for 3 years, and hope you get your money's worth for at least the first couple years of the contract. To cut ties with THE ONLY starting caliber WR on your roster for no other reason than his birth certificate was printed before 1980 is idiotic. He's healthy, he's productive, and right now he's all you've got. Rebuilding doesn't mean purging yourself of EVERY player on the roster over 30...it means slowly and steadily infusing youth into your roster so it can grow together moving forward. Just because he doesn't fit into the long term plan doesn't mean he can't bridge the gap between now and the time we have young replacements ready to take the torch.

By your logic, the Colts should be ready to move on from Manning and draft his replacement this year and the Pats should get what they can get in a trade while Brady's hot. I mean, who wants to move forward with 30-something QBs?

Posted by: brownwood26

Last time I checked the Colts were not rebuilding. QBs also have a longer shelf like. You said that Moss should be retained at any cost. The guy is on the downside of his career with chronic knee problems. If he is willing to sign a reasonable contract you bring him back.

You ride your franchise QB until he retires or in situations where they want to play way past they should like Favre. Brown you are the typical fan who every year thinks the team makes all the right moves and over values every skins player only to be disappointed that the off season title does not translate to the real season. Lauding the McNabb trade and predicting a shot at the division title. Every year the Redskins are only a few pieces away.

Posted by: srobert1117 | December 29, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Moe's Movie Recommends:

Black Swan: see it with a chick or the wife--great film

The Fighter: see it with a dude--excellent sports film (true story)

True Grit: we'll get to it this weekend.

Posted by: MistaMoe
====================

True Grit = Waitin' for the DVD
Black Swan and The Fighter = Waitin' for 'em to hit the Yard Sales
ALAS! PD = Done

Posted by: ho-skin | December 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

True Grit was good. Jeff Bridges is just awesome as Rooster Cogburn.
Gotta keep Tana. He's had a lot of catches this year on a bad offensive team. If we build an O line to protect a QB, Tana will have over 100 catches every year. He's a warrior and I don't think we'd get a lot for him in a trade anyway. He's got a couple years left.
Keep Daniels as a coach. Great guy, great work ethic, would be a helluva strength coach that these young bucks could really look up to and be motivated.

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 29, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I liked True Grit. Better than the original; Jeff Bridges was better than the Duke, Matt Damon was better than Glenn Campbell (dah), and the lttle girls part was great. Also, it was truer to the book than the original. I give it two redskin feathers up!

Posted by: Skin4Life1 | December 29, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse