Phillip Merling and Malcolm Kelly

The Redskins are honing in on these two players as the draft nears.

The team has a contingent of roughly 10 people at Clemson to watch Merling, a DE from Clemson. That group includes Dan Snyder, Jim Zorn, Greg Blache, the club's new DL coach and trainers, according to sources in Clemson.

That group, along with offensive coaches like Sherman Smith and Stan Nixon, are likely to fly to Oklahoma for Kelly's private workout late this afternoon (he is a junior WR for the Sooners).

At this point I cannot say for certain that the owner will be attending both workouts, but I would be surprised if they don't jump on the plane to Oklahoma in the next few hours and all go out to Norman.

We'll post more as we get it.

If the Skins can't drop down in the draft and both of these players are on the board, it would be very interesting to see what they did. There would likely be several decent WRs left when Washington picks in the second round - they are falling, in general, as a position class - but the dropoff at DE after Merling is selected would likely be significantly greater.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 24, 2008; 1:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Positional Review - D Line
Next: En Route To Oklahoma (UPDATED - And JC Is Rolling With Them)

Comments

I'd like to see the pass rush improve this year so I'd prefer Merling if it came down to the two of them.

Posted by: Frank | April 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

anyone going to the draft party at the stadium?

Posted by: sak | April 24, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

LOVE the fact that freakin' Snyder is on board for this trip! Love it! Gives me great confidence!

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Reads to me like they will be jumping on a plane to go and watch Kelly's workout if JC is along to throw to him!

Merling shows skills for pro scouts
By PAUL STRELOW

CLEMSON | Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell had seen this size entourage before.

Campbell stood off to the side Thursday, watching the limited pro-day workout of Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling, behind the Redskins' brain trust.

There was owner Daniel Snyder, player personnel director Vinny Cerrato, new coach Jim Zorn and a cast of assistant coaches -- all of whom arrived on Snyder's personal jet earlier in the morning.

Campbell, tagging along for a later workout with Oklahoma receiver Malcolm Kelly, a projected second-round pick, remembered seeing such a crew the year the Redskins traded into the first-round to acquire him.

Washington owns the No. 21 pick in Saturday's first round.

"This is usually a pretty positive sign," Campbell said.

Merling got nothing but positive feedback from Thursday's 25-minute workout, which included numerous position-specific drills used at the NFL Combine.

At least 11 other teams had representatives in attendance: Baltimore, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Miami, Green Bay, Carolina, New York Jets, New York Giants, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay.

Merling has been projected as a first-round pick.

Nonetheless, he conducted the workout to assuage concerns about his health after being unable to work out for teams the past month because of a sports hernia surgery.

Merling believes he accomplished his mission.

"I just wanted to show I'm in some type of shape and could move," he said.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Kirwan on CJ ...

9. Is Johnson a factor?

Chad Johnson wants out of Cincinnati and there will be offers above and beyond Washington's in the closing hours before the draft. Time and a sense of urgency are the best ingredients to getting a deal done. The Bengals should not give him away and I'm confident they will get proper value or won't trade him at all.

Marvin Lewis is handling the situation perfectly. I wouldn't let him out the door for less than a first and a second in this draft and I might ask him to write a check for $3.4 million -- the remaining signing bonus left to be charged to the cap -- if and when he's traded. He wouldn't be the first player to buy his way out of a contract. I hope the Bengals get a bright young receiver in the draft, and get the right compensation for Johnson. If not, let him sit.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I am warming up to the idea of phillip merling...from what i hear, he has a lot of moves for a d-end..

Posted by: Terpin It | April 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Please pass on Kelly. I will take Merling in a heartbeat.

Posted by: EZCUSE | April 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

What is Snyder's cover charge?

Posted by: Dorf | April 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd be thrilled with Merling in the 1st round and trading up (2nd and 3rd) to get James Hardy in the 2nd round.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Its free at the stadium, free parking free entry players and coaches will be there and they are giving tours of the locker rooms, and best of all the introduction on the new cheerleaders

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Id like merling as well, I really dont like the attitude of kelly.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

SAK...

I'm going to the draft party!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | April 24, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the pick needs to be Merling. WR's do almost nothing in their first year. We have a pathetic pass rush at the moment and could really use some pressure on the QB to help out the secondary. This defense has a lot of young guys who started to turn the corner late last year and it would be great to add Merling to the mix.

Posted by: vze2bnyf | April 24, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think they are thinking Merling in the 1st round, Kelly in the 2nd.

Posted by: rb | April 24, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think they are thinking Merling in the 1st round, Kelly in the 2nd.

Posted by: rb | April 24, 2008 1:47 PM

I agree, I think if kelly end up being good, hes still going to have the TO syndrome where he likes to blame everyone when things go wrong. But hes happy if things go his way.
Sweet Ill see you up there sicwidit

Posted by: SAK | April 24, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Merling is a risk in the first. Maybe a trade down is imminent. Kelly in the second might need a trade up to do that.

P.S. SPELLCHECK is your F-R-I-E-N-D

Posted by: cp | April 24, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

we aren't interested in Kelly. We're basically calling Cincy's bluff and making them think we're so interested in Kelly that we will take him and be happy if we can't get CJ.

This also helps the trade move forward since we're also making Cincy think that Kelly is a REALLY good receiver, one worth taking themselves if we trade CJ for the pick.

At this point, i'm hoping we can grab Merling (assuming he hasn't won over one of the other 10 teams present at his workout) with our 1st and then take the best receiver 6'2 or over with our 2nd.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

P.S. SPELLCHECK is your F-R-I-E-N-D

Posted by: cp | April 24, 2008 2:01 PM

Your friend maybe, but slpelchekc and I are not on speakking trems.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Has Malcolm done his pre-workout turf inspection to make sure it is to his liking?

If the skins draft Malcolm, will the skins be hiring a full time turf inspector to make sure there are no combine workout type of turf snafus for Malcolm to encounter?

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

V-Tech's Flowers asked by NFL if he would tackle his mom

Virginia Tech Hokies DB Brandon Flowers, appearing as a guest on Fox Sports Radio, asked about the weirdest question he was asked before the NFL Draft: "I remember taking a test where it asked, if your mom was running down the sideline with the football, A, would you let her score a touchdown, B, would you crush her so she wouldn't get to the end zone, or, C, would you push her out of bounds? I didn't know how to answer that, so I just said I'd let her score because that's my mom. I don't know if that's the right answer, but I can't put my hands on my mom."

-- Fox Sports Radio

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

on another note, much was said in the past couple days about how Zorn should be working on the playbook and leaving personnel matters (ie spending the 12-14hr days in the draft room) to vinny and danny.

However, i look at it as a very positive step for the direction of this franchise that Zorn is there for several reasons:

First and foremost: It means Danny and Zorn plan to stick around. If they were planning on ditching Zorn after this year and going after Cowher, why involve Zorn in personnel decisions? Zorns involvement means they want his input so Zorn can pick the guys HE wants to build his team around.

Secondly: Zorn is learning. Zorn is a very hands-on guy. He seems like he wants to know how things work and how the pieces of the puzzle fit together. This gives us further insight into the kind of leader we can expect Zorn to be.

Finally, Zorn isnt planning on overwhelming the players with a 700page playbook he expects them to learn overnight. Hes going to gradually give them more and more, as they are able to understand it. This is the teacher side of him. This should help the players to digest the playbook and understand the fundamentals before they try to grasp the more complex things.

I'm really really liking Zorn, guys.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

PS I'm anti turf inspector, but the C-A-P-S (Caps, Caps, Caps) definitely could use an ice inspector for Verizon Center home games.

Somewhere, I can hear John Facenda calling out

"On the soggy, snow cone of the Verizon Center rink, two teams battled valiantly for first round playoff supremacy"

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 24, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

In that situation, Woody Hayes would have stepped onto the field and punched his mom.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm really really liking Zorn, guys.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 2:20 PM

And I'm thinking maybe this guy can't delegate responsibility for shti...

Adam

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Adam- They're already on it...

- .250

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

tsh, I think it's critical to see how each of the potential draftees responds when told to kneel before Zorn. That will tell a lot about their character.

I'm only kidding... we all know they're told to kneel before Dan...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

- .250

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 2:23 PM

HA! I KNEW it ... that 4-12 never left ... and like Nate who can't stand NOT signing his name, has only avoided the "name" box.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm so pissed at the front office right now with this whole Ocho Stinko debacle. It seemed like they were really serious about building through the draft FOR ONCE, but that turns out to be horses#it once again. We all know we're not going to the Big Game next year, so why try and get the "one piece" with a lot of question marks and blow up your draft picks in the process. We need to plan for 2-3 from now with a solid young core and this is just more of the same cr&p that makes many Skins fan shake their head in embarressment. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest...

On another note, Merling over any reciever in this draft. We have a couple of solid recievers and a great tight end already. We have one DE worth his salt and he's going to be 30 next year. Draft on both lines and worry about the skill positions later.

Posted by: tmwilliams | April 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Oops ... I might be a better detective if I knew math ... old .333 fooled me again.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Gainesville, FL

Apr 24 Today
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 81F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph.
Apr 24 Tonight
Partly cloudy skies. Low around 60F. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph.
Apr 25 Tomorrow
A few clouds early, otherwise mostly sunny. High 83F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.
Apr 25 Tomorrow night
Partly cloudy. Low 59F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Apr 26 Saturday
Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Apr 27 Sunday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Apr 28 Monday
A few thunderstorms possible. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 50s.
Apr 29 Tuesday
Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 50s.
Apr 30 Wednesday
Sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s.

Posted by: loco mullin | April 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to Loco, the blog is back to normal....

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I could never leave, sween. Just haven't had anything to say with all the assclownery and draft mockery going on and on and on.

- .250

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sween - You're math is off. .250 was right the 1st time..........

If any of you guys are going to the draft day partay, stop by and say hi. I only live .250 miles away from the stadium....

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow, loco mullin...

sween, isn't 4 out of 16 the same as .250? I do tend to get so confused...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

So its done. Kelly will make a diving catch in the workout. Snyder will think he is awesome and the next Art Monk and tell his b*tchboy Vinnie to draft him. Taylor Jacobs#2 on the way.

Posted by: Stingray | April 24, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

4th, how far away is that in dog miles? [I will miss the event ... parents in town to see their grandkids, such as]

Rather than Merling (or Kelly), I still would prefer shenanigans (except shanahanigans) with trades, etc. ... either the plashy vet WR (Boldin!) or use #21 for sexiness -- an offensive lineman.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the skins will have to move up in the 2nd to get one of the top receivers they like. Teams that would consider a WR late in round 1 or early round 2, Broncos, Eagles, Bucs, Redskins, Cowboys, Titans, Seahawks. The Bills may be in the mix if they don't draft a WR in round 1 as well.

Posted by: JD | April 24, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

4 of 16 is indeed 25% ... but 4 over 12 is 33.33% ... which is to say, "I understood there would be no math."

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

(That was me at 2:37.)

I went to the draft day party in 2002, it was a really good time, fun to be in the big old empty stadium, relatively cheap eats and beers, some players were around, cheerleaders (as noted)...

and I've told this story up here before, but as the first round dragged on, new head coach Spurrier was helicoptered in from the Park and introduced to the crowd, and he spoke a little bit and then introduced Marvin Lewis, and at that moemnt I started the chant "DEE-fense! DEE-fense!" which whipped up a frenzy in the crowd and got that huge rictus planted on Lewis' face. Then it turned into a "We want Dallas!" chant. It was ridiculous and fun and very beery.

And then we selected Patrick freakin' Ramsey. Barf.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Fudge-Ums little brother is expected to go in the late rounds... possibly a 5th rounder. Being from a small university, he didn't quite get the exposure Fudge-Ums did.

Posted by: Dorf | April 24, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, I remember reading about Fudge-Um's little brother, Chip, and I say he goes undrafted altogether.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the team is hoping for a draft to go as follows if they keep all their picks:

1st - Phillp Merling - DE - Clemson
2nd - Jordy Nelson - WR - Kansas State
3rd - Tony Hills - T/G - Texas (Could also go with Roy Schuening or Jeramy Zutah if they fall here)
3rd Comp - Owen Schmitt - FB - West Virginia
5th - Zach Bowman - CB - Nebraska
6th - Kevin O'Donnel - QB - San Diego State
7th - Who Knows? It's the 7th round

Posted by: RIV | April 24, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

And do you also remember that they traded down TWICE before they selected Ramsey?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

7th - Who Knows? It's the 7th round

Posted by: RIV | April 24, 2008 2:54 PM

I say ... PUNTER!

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Skins have three seventh round picks ... I say THREE punters! Its not like its a cap hit ... the extra picks are free anyway ... covers all bases for the top three punters available.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

1st - Phillp Merling - DE - Clemson
2nd - Jordy Nelson - WR - Kansas State
3rd Comp - Owen Schmitt - FB - West Virginia
5th - Zach Bowman - CB - Nebraska
6th - Kevin O'Donnel - QB - San Diego State
7th - Who Knows? It's the 7th round

Posted by: RIV | April 24, 2008 2:54 PM

If it happened like this I would be one happy camper

Posted by: SAK | April 24, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

So the draft plan appears to be DE Merling in the 1st round and WR Kelly in the 2nd or via an unlikely trade down from #21...

Kelly's slow 40 times could cause him to drop and still be available when the Skins select the 51st pick, in the 2nd round. He might make a decent possession receiver in the NFL and is probably good value at that position, but not in the 1st round.

Posted by: Siris | April 24, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The Chiefs' loss of Jared Allen (and pick up of the Vikings pick) complicates (read ruins) the chances for Merling. Not to be negative or anything, just sayin'.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Football? Draft?

C'mon folks, its time for the Sharks year for the Stanley Cup. They'll rip thru the Stars (hate everything Dallas), then have big time showdown with the boyz from Motown.

Loving it ...

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | April 24, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

You all might as well get over it! Malcolm Kelly is going to make it to the pros with or without your blessings. Everyone knows that Kelly has what it takes to make it to the next level. HE WILL MAKE IT! WE all know what happened that day and the reason why it happened. Malcolm Kelly exemplifies great character!Always have and will. I hope he doesn't let people like you change him. You are the one whose character should be in question. Yes, you that are pointing the finger. Your life must be miserable if all you think about is Malcolm Kelly, Malcolm Kelly, Malcolm Kelly.Get a life.Your character stinks!

Posted by: JW | April 24, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Cincinnati needs a receiver ... to replace Chris Henry (and maybe fill in for the pouting guy on the bench, CJ) ... and they want to avoid guys with "character issues" and size questions ... which means they are likely to hunger for Nelson ... and they pick before the Skins in the second round ... not being negative, just sayin'.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

You know whose character really stinks? Pepe LePew.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh right, 2:55pm, I couldn't remember if it we traded down once or twice, but yeah, I think that had something to do with the beer level that day. It was like, hey everybody, we're getting ready to pick! Here it comes! Oh yeah, who's it gonna be???... ah, they traded down. Beer me.

I think they helicoptered in the coaches in one of those gaps created by trading down, because the day was going soooo incredibly slowly. Still, it was a good time, and as I noted above, it was only spoiled by picking Ramsey.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sando from ESPN on safe bets v. risky bets in the first round (safe = LB, interior OL ... risky = WR, QB).

Latest, best idea to get Branden Albert ... kidnap him tomorrow morning, free him after the 20th pick ... no one will pick him if he can't be found. [Nothing illegal, mind you, maybe just get him on the phone with my mother ... "yes, uh huh, yes, I see, uh huh, oh, yes, yes, uh huh, ..."]

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

OWEN SCHMITT OWEN SCHMITT!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

At this point, if we stay at 21 and Merling is gone, my gut tells me we draft Jared Mayo.

He will likely be the BPA at a position of need. we run a 4-3 system. One of our linebackers has a degenerative joint disorder in both his knees and the other two are on the wrong side of 30. its a smart, safe pick, even if its not sexy.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm really really liking Zorn, guys.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 2:20 PM

And I'm thinking maybe this guy can't delegate responsibility for shti...

Adam

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 2:22 PM

At least he doesn't have 2 degenerate junky sons.

Posted by: skinnyc | April 24, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

TSH, linebacker is a sexy position to pick. Tight end is not a sexy pick ... guard is a position that is downright "clergy" on the sexiness scale.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

anything with Mayo is sexy.....

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

anything with Mayo is sexy.....

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 3:30 PM

Turkey Sandwich?

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

mile high, the word "pleonasm" is STILL making for great conversation in my off-blog life. thanks again.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

anything with Mayo is sexy.....

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 3:30 PM

Turkey Sandwich?

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:32 PM

this reminds me of the seinfeld episode with georges food with sex fetish

Posted by: SAK | April 24, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

....for instance, the sandwich I just inhaled, no mayo = no sexy.

In reality, sween is right, the Chefs will be looking to replace Allen and Merling will be able to step right in to that role. I have a feeling Albert will be gone too - perhaps to Texas. Mayo could be there, though I still think 21 is high for him.

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Caught this on Fox Sports on MSN from Jason Whitlock re Ocho trade:

2. Can someone explain to me why the Bengals didn't pull the trigger on a Chad Johnson-to-the-Redskins trade?

Sending any big-time player to Daniel Snyder's Redskins is a virtual guarantee that the player will stink. This would be totally different from allowing Corey Dillon to escape to the New England Patriots. Johnson wouldn't win a Super Bowl in Washington. Johnson wouldn't be vindicated. The Bengals could unload Johnson's contract, bad attitude and locker-room cancer.

Seems that Mr. Whitlock has a very low opinion of the Redskins.

Posted by: hman1217 | April 24, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Sween - glad I could help your Off-Blogway jibba jabba.

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Some Giants bought Shockey theory
Posted: Thursday April 24, 2008 06:13AM ET
Eli Manning called it "a stupid theory" when he was asked during the week before Super Bowl XLII if the Giants were there because Jeremy Shockey wasn't. Most of his teammates and coaches agreed. But not all of them. According to various team and NFL sources, there were more than a few people inside the Giants organization who at least wondered whether the absence of Shockey - who broke his leg in Week 15 - was beneficial to Manning's development. The sidelines were suddenly quieter and less volatile, and Manning did not feel he had to get Shockey the ball early so his tight end wouldn't stomp and sulk.

New York Daily News

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

CNNSI is running a live mock draft. Skins were just on the clock and David Elfin of the WaTimes had us selecting Kelly.

I just don't like it.

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Jets prepared to draft Ryan Cowboys sick of Pacman talk
Posted: Thursday April 24, 2008 05:54AM ET
Frankly, many of the Cowboys' defensive players are already sick of talking about Pacman Jones. They roll their eyes at the mention of his name and insist they don't need him to win the Super Bowl. Or even a playoff game. They do, however, respect his talent. And as long as he shows up at their Valley Ranch training complex and tries to fit in and be a good teammate, they'd like to have him around. They aren't going to babysit Jones. Several have made that abundantly clear during an informal survey. They'll tell him where to go for a good time and give him the names of various places he should avoid. They'll invite him to their frequent off-season pool and bowling outings and their weekly dinners during the season. But the players insist they're not going to be part of Jerry Jones' security force.

Dallas Morning News

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Great! SNYDER loads more people than went to Taylor's funeral and flies them down to Clemson to watch Merling's workout.

Waaaay to keep your interests on the Down Low.

What this mean is:

1. The skins don't want him or the OKLA WR and, as TSH said, it's all diversions before the inevitable CJ deal.

2. The SKINS DO want one Merling badly, and will get held up by a team ahead of them, costing them their one and two to move up and guarantee the pick.

3. With workaholic Gibbs gone, the Redskins staff jumped at a chance to join Big Danny on a galavanting spin around the country. Playbook? We'll get to it.

Posted by: cORKCZAR | April 24, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I see no character issues in Malcolm Kelly. You are on the outside (with the others) looking in. If we judged everyone everytime they had a disagreement with someone than all of our character is in question. To err is human. We all have said something we regretted saying, but does that make us a villain.

Posted by: AL | April 24, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm really really liking Zorn, guys.

At least he doesn't have 2 degenerate junky sons.

Posted by: skinnyc | April 24, 2008 3:28 PM

Really? Then how many degenerate junky sons does he have?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL | April 24, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Caught this on Fox Sports on MSN from Jason Whitlock re Ocho trade:

Seems that Mr. Whitlock has a very low opinion of the Redskins.

Posted by: hman1217 | April 24, 2008 3:36 PM

This right here proves that Mr. Whitlock is an ignorant person who is chasing dollar signs because he is willing to say anything that incites people the wrong way so he can have a million hits on his article and his bosses reap the reward from the additional advertising dollars they get..........

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

If the skins take a Merling with ONE, a WR or OL with TWO, and the other one with their first THREE, I would be willing to take a flyer on either Slaton of WVA or Dixon of Oregon with the second third rounder if either is still left. Unless there's a sleeper OL or DL still out there. Or...

Posted by: CORKCZAR | April 24, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What Eflin said about his reasoning for the Skins picking Kelly:

" ... Instead, they'll grab Kelly, the big receiver that new coach Jim Zorn, needs to properly run his offense, ignoring his recent slow 40 times and petulant comments."

Note to Calais Campbell quitters based on his 40 time at the Combine (putting aside for a second his bench pressing) ... a 40 time is real important for the guy who is supposed to be your downfield receiving threat ... not as much for a DE.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

either that or Whitlock looked at the history. I don't have to name names, do I?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | April 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

...Everyone knows that Kelly has what it takes to make it to the next level. HE WILL MAKE IT! WE all know what happened that day and the reason why it happened. Malcolm Kelly exemplifies great character!Always have and will....

Posted by: JW | April 24, 2008 3:07 PM

I love how writing in caps is supposed to make it true... how about this:

I WILL WIN THE LOTTERY!
GEORGE W. BUSH IS THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER!

JW, are you Kelly's agent or something?

Posted by: Papken28 | April 24, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

More importantly, Whitlock didn't answer the question ... why would the Bengals care if CJ stunk in Washington? Just b/c the 3rd rounder that could escalate to a 1st rounder if CJ does well might not happen? I don't buy it ... and, more importantly, that's a reach if he really were trying to answer the question (and not just take the opportunity for a gratuitous swipe).

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CORKCZAR | April 24, 2008 3:54 PM

I'd be all for that scenario.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 24, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

In addition to his slow 40 time, the fact that he complained about the surface, blamed the University, etc, rather than just say "I didn't have my best stuff today" is what bothers me. AND, this is the same surface one Adrian Perterson ran his pro day 40 on.....just sayin.

Posted by: mile high | April 24, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah CP really stinks. What other big name players have we gotten via trade? Whitlock is a fat idiot whose mastery of the english language is 1 step above Emmitt Smith.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Cincy should have done the deal. A 1st and 3rd for a talented, productive but expensive and not that young anymore problem. Pretty fair offer.

Cincy needs to get character players in place because the inmates (literally) have taken over the place. If CJ was the only 'problem' character, different story. Deal with it. But when you have to constantly call the local parole office to see who can practice .... that's not good (understated sarcasm).

Cincy needs a makeover and high picks can do a lot of good.

My guess is that the deal was not turned down hard ... more like ... 'not yet'.

Its the Skins who should be wary because Johnson can mess up a coach and a QB. If Marvin Lewis and Carson Palmer have difficulty with Johnson, does anyone think Zorn and Campbell can keep him happy?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | April 24, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

and give him the names of various places he should avoid.

Dallas Morning News

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:43 PM

Dallas County Detention Center
Dallas County Jail
Dallas, Texas Cloud-Seeding Association

Posted by: SMACK | April 24, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

is the new Corkczar

Beep Beer!

Posted by: SMACK | April 24, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I can take anything but C. Campbell or WR with the 21st pick.

Why isn't it Saturday already! And why am I getting my hopes up?

Posted by: tmwilliams | April 24, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:56 PM

Sween, 40 time is VERY big for a DE. How many times do those guys recover a fumble, head for the end zone, and get chopped down by some lousy WR? Not a pretty picture.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 3:06 PM

I think if Chris Long is there at #5 the Chiefs will take him, then look at the OL with the Vikings pick.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 24, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, does anybody really think CJ's going to be happier here than in Cincy? I love my Skins, but are we any more of a winning team these days then the Bengals? If he comes here, I give him 2-3 games before he throws Campbell and/or Zorn under the bus.

Posted by: tmwilliams | April 24, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people have the Chiefs taking Ryan if he's still there at 5. Then they could take a DE with the Vikes pick. Still, who knows. Ryan could take a dive down the board a la Quinn from last year, which would be great for us.

Posted by: tmwilliams | April 24, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 24, 2008 3:25 PM

Talkshowhost, I agree with your analysis. I would not be disappointed if they picked Jared Mayo at 21 - he seems like a safe pick and fills the need.

Posted by: M | April 24, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I think folks are bing a little too hard on Kelly.

Sure he went on a little rant, but unless I am mistaken there was a last minute switch on the field from one he HAD been practicing on. He just should not have shown his azz as my Mom would say.

Anyway, when you really think about it, the scouts have factored in all of these minute differences in 40 times. The guy basically runs a 4.6 to 4.65 forty yard dash.

If he ran a legit 4.4 at 220lbs he would be a top ten pick, which he aint.

I suppose if it is between Merling and kelly I would go with DE. Seems like there are just more WR that will be around in the 2nd round.

I am just not all that excited about a DE who is not got get us a bunch of sacks.

I wonder if we might try to move up in the 2nd round to get WR rather than wait to see who falls to us....Just a thought.

REDSKINS ONE OUT!