Picking No. 3 QB Tough for Some

What Bogboy was really hoping for, as he watched the Redskins-Jaguars game from the cozy confines of la casa Steinberg, was a kicker battle. Instead, he had to be content with Colt Brennan vs. Chase Daniel.

Turns out Steinberg has company in his conflicted-ness:

"[Daniel] got a chance to get out there against their starting unit, and a lot of times he didn't have much of an opportunity, they was in his lap," Jason Campbell said. "Those guys have the opportunity to go out there against the starters, create good film, and they've got to take advantage of it, but a lot of time he didn't have any chances. It's a tough decision. I like both of them. I like the way both of them put in a lot of work and everything they do. I enjoy being around them. It'll be a tough decision, most definitely, but I think both of them, no matter what, I think both of them will be successful."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 4, 2009; 12:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Escape Preseason Unscathed
Next: Who's No. 2? Kelly Gains Separation

Comments

1st.

Posted by: jp1970 | September 4, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

If either of these dudes sees the field at all this season, it probably means we're doomed.

Colt to third string, Chase to the practice squad, done and done.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

agreed

Posted by: BMACattack | September 4, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing is some of our crazy azz fans think those two 3rd string QBs should be the starter. LOL

Posted by: RealOne1 | September 4, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Not me. My azz is firmly planted in Campbellvania.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 4, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Putting Daniels on the practice squad, and "cutting" Wynn offers the least chance of losing either. Tell Wynn you want him back when the first DL goes down.

They'll keep Betts and Rock. Probably Yoder. But look for at least one "shocker"

The WORST thing is some guy makes the 53, then gets cut when the 'skins pick someone else up off waivers.

It's a cruel game kids.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the end of the Oregon/Boise State game?

And by end, I don't mean of game play, but of the post-game fisticuffs and Blount having to be repeatedly restrained.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 4, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

If the skins cut Daniel, the Chiefs will pick him up. They have one injured promising starter and two backup QBs who wouldn't make 3rd string anywhere else in the NFL. The Chiefs wouldn't take Colt Brennan. The last person they need is a gun-slinger.

Posted by: tpatten | September 4, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

I just have this feeling about Daniel. He seems like a guy you can rely on to get it done. The previous poster said the Chiefs don't need a gun-slinger. Well, neither do we.

Of course, had Brennan been given the 49ers game at the end of last year (and some actual NFL experience), then maybe Collins would be the one looking for a new job. I like Collins, but he's a system QB for a system we don't run.

No way he can be cut though, not with zero NFL games between the 2 QBs behind him.

Cut Brennan.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | September 4, 2009 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Keep Daniel. Cut Brennan. Easiest decision on the roster.

Now on to more pressing matters...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 6:20 AM | Report abuse

they was in his lap," Jason Campbell said.

too bad he wasn't talking about the redskinettes! LOL

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 4, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys but you don't have a chance if: your owner is Dan Snyder and your "GM" is a guy named Vinny.

Doesn't matter who makes the team - Colt or Chase. But they do have cool names.

Posted by: Leofwine | September 4, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to approach this 3rd string QB debate from a slightly different angle: Who gives a $#!+? It's the 3rd string QB. If either uf them have to play, we're SJK'd anyway so screw it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 7:04 AM |

Isn't the 3rd string QB this year supposed to be the 2nd string QB next year when Collins goes into an assisted living facility? So, in the long run (ie, next year) maybe it does matter.

I don't have a view on who it should be. But I'm predicting Zorn will choose Colt and he will put Chase on the practice squad. Will the Chiefs take him? Who cares? If he can't beat out Colt, he's not that good. And I think there are a bunch of guys out there with as much potential as he has.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not ready to join the Vinny is exec of the year bandwagon, but this year's draft and free agency is starting to look good. Orakpo, Jarmon and Mitchell all appear to be players. The jury's out on Kevin Barnes, but he definitely will see playing time this year. Haynesworth and Hunter Smith are potential MVP's of their respective units. Even mid to late round draft picks and flyer FA's -- Glenn, Henson, Young -- are making serious cases this year.

On top of that, I'm seeing patience from the team and progress from last year's draft. Malcolm Kelly appear to be locking up the #2 receiver spot. Devin Thomas is running routes correctly. Fred Davis is...waking up on time. Things could, like, actually go right here. Man, Kool-aid tastes so goooood.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 4, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Man, Kool-aid tastes so goooood.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 4, 2009 7:23 AM

It always does in August/early September. I'm just sick of it going bad in December and January...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Do we really have a shot with Campbell taking the snaps? Very unimpressive preseason after a horrible second half of the season last year. Looks like another year of Portis taking a beating because opposing teams don't respect our ability to pass. Should they?

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 4, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes is a small, skinny bean pole. How in the world can the NFL executive of the year Cerrato, Vinnie draft somebody who cannot physically match up with NFL players? Practice squad or cut, one or the other.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 4, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood2

I'm sensing negativity and nihilism. As an officer of the RI Kool-aid Drinkers Society, I feel obligated to post a bit of inspiration.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 4, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

It really doesn't matter which QB plays for the Skins or is kept on the team. Jim Zorn runs on 2nd and 7, 2nd and 8, 2nd and 9, and 2nd and 10. Whomever is back there under center aint got a chance to complete a pass on 3rd and 7, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 9, and 3rd and 10. Let me call plays, please. Pass when you're not supposed to and run when you're not supposed to. This gives your line, QB, RB and wide receivers the advantage they need.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 4, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | September 4, 2009 7:42 AM

Maybe Barnes can overcome his handicap?

Kevin Barnes - 6' 1"
Darrell Green - 5' 9"

Cut a third round pick after one camp? Cerrato's still in the hunt for NFL Executive of the Year, but you might be out of the running for RI Poster of the Year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

A couple of comments about random chings:

1. From RI: "Coach Jim Zorn seemed pleased that his team had gotten through five weeks and four preseason games without serious injury." Still, the Rogers leg injury kept him out of most if not all of preseason and seems to be more than a "ding".
2. Manning hung some big passing ydg #s on the Pats last night but it was against their scrubbings.
3. The only drive of the night for Campbell was chilled by penalties but the guilty parties were subs standing in for Cooley and Davis and probably will begone by Sat. Still, you never like to have drive-chilling penalties.
4. The defense did not distinguish itself during the preseason, esp the secondary, but it is preseason. Still, Blache will be under the gun when the regular season starts and he seems to feeling the heat. He was downright nasty with some media schlub recently.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Never has a smile been wiped off a face so quickly and effectively:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 7:04 AM |

Good point. I would have said "who gives a shti?", but you said it much more eloquently.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Colt, Chase, scrubbinies, none of that matters.

No injuries...thats the key...I couldn't care less about the #3 because as Nate put it, if that guy whomever it may be, is in play, then we should be sending SOS signals cuz all hope is lost. JC is my guy, I roll with him.

Get Rogers calf healthy, and lets get a win against NY. We owe them a little payback from losing 2 last year......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

encino, I think you mean David Carr, not Manning....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

In a perfect world one of them would be ready to ascend to the lofty heights of backup QB net year but honestly if neither of these dudes can cut it then we can go out and pick up a vet in the offseason. 3rd string qb is not that big of a deal.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

KEEP CHASE. better character, way better athlete, roughly equal arm strength, 3 yrs younger..more upside

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 4, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Alridge over Mason! Please!! The fumble was really bad but one bad play shouldn't define his preseason. I really hope they keep Alridge, isn't he a "Vinny guy?" Whatever that means?? ;)

I just don't want Alridge to get away... because I think everyone knows Mason made the team now since he had THREE carries last night and was not hurt. That can only mean they didn't need to see him anymore because he made the team already. I personally lke Alridge more, although they are two different type backs. Maybe Cartwright goes?

Posted by: rachel216 | September 4, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Y'know what bothers me worse than anything? There seem to be LOTS of coarching porblems.

The penalty counts have been high, so that's an indicator. I don't want to debate who's responsibility that is, I assign it to the coaching staff.

The decision to test a 3rd string QB and Oline o' swiss against proved what? That your project BMW hasn't paid off yet.

On both O & D there seems to be no attempt at masking the play. So our run plays are met in the backfield, and our blitzes are met at the line (look at our 3rd down performance on D, ew!!)

Special teams calls... hey - at least send ONE GUY to challenge the punter. It works, even if he doesn't get there.

I'm really hoping that most of these problems (there are more, but it's early..) are more indicative of holding back the true playbook... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

...more worried about that then who makes the scrub team.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I am nothing if not consistant.

This post is for peaceful2008 with an amendment by way of the CORK:

Gotta' believe DANIELS goes to the practice squad unless COLT can't go due to injury.

ALRIDGE and MASON get cut. CARTWRIGHT had to play for a job and succeeded. DORSEY no.

MARKO MITCHELL is DA" MAN!!!! ELOI, no despite his pretty catch near the end of the game. HACKETT, no.

AGNONE gets cut. YODER makes it, barely. DAVIS on the 53 man. God, I hope COOLEY doesn't get hurt.

MONTGOMERY played well despite THEISMANN's one sour note. BATISTE did O.K. as did RINEHART, but neither E. WILLIAMS or M. WILLIAMS looked good. BRIDGES a-a-a-n-n-n-h, better but not great. Everybody but MONTGOMERY looked outclassed by JAGS 1st team d.

Practice squad for GLENN. YOUNG gets cut unless he can be parked in the taxi zone. THOMAS makes the team. HENSON makes the squad as well.

ROB JACKSON played himself a game and might nose out RENALDO WYNN. BUZBEE gets cut. JARMON makes the 53 squad. CHRIS WILSON went from the bubble to a gamer. DIXON goes to the practice squad.

Nobody in the defensive secondary was consistantly good except REED DOUGHTRY. TRYON played like a rookie with potential something we didn't see at all last year. 2008 he was just a rookie. BARNES makes the team because he's a third round choice. HOLMES up and down as well. Probably doesn't nose out K. MOORE.

RAYNOR almost shanked BOTH X-points. He has the stronger leg on kick-offs but I question his accuracy on field goals. SUISHAM continues to provide weak kick-offs and of course last year's accuracy brought on this competition in the first place. Nothing was answered in my mind. Frankly. I want the JACKSONVILLE kicker. I thought him far superior to either of our contestants.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 4, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

encino, I think you mean David Carr, not Manning....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 8:04 AM |

In theory you are right. But Manning has had a spotty preseason and in the only drive of the night for him he was was 3/3 for 76 yds and a td, to tana's little bro of all peeps who is struggling to hold onto his job and the ball. If you did not dig a little deeper you would think that Manning had gotten his mojo going coming into the Skins game.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh - I did want to mention the BOrak coverage of the TE, or lack thereof.

...still not convinced that's where we need him to START...

Again, we'll see...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

has aldridge returned kickoffs? I think his fumbling issues, are a definite cause for concern......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh - I did want to mention the BOrak coverage of the TE, or lack thereof.

...still not convinced that's where we need him to START...

Again, we'll see...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 8:24 AM

T_E with a snarky comment in 3...2...

And I agree with you completely on the penalty thing...it feels like I'm watching Norv Turner all over again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The defense is in our backfield because every team knows if our primary receiver is covered JC is going to throw the ball away because he doesn't take time to look to his other receivers. Since they know that they pin their ears back every play and either get Portis, or the indecisive and scared JC.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 4, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

The only Redskin QB worth keeping is Collins, and I certainly wouldn't keep JC or any of the other prospective third stringers. Check the tradewinds and waiver wires for several better alternatives.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

...more worried about that then who makes the scrub team.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 8:21 AM

Dik--Sorry, but you can't just dismiss it like that. Us regulars are more worried about EVERYTHING. It's just that we're more worried one worry at a time.

So you now have to post about why you're more worried about the scrub team. Otherwise, chris larry will give you a bad fantasy blogga scouting report. Like mine.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse
I agree, it doesn't matter for now. But making the right choice could have an impact next year or 2011.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

fanohock,
I'm not sure we were watching the same QB this preseason. Especially in the last 2 games. Campbell has gone through his progressions very well and hit the 2nd or 3rd guy on several occasions.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 4, 2009 8:13 AM

One bad play wouldn't define it. Problem is, he had fumbling issues earlier in camp, plus he has injury problems -- spent much of last year on IR. I predict he's gone.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator- You're right, but isn't that something that can be corrected with time? If I remember correctly, Tiki Barber was a major fumbler his early days in the league but he worked on it and held the ball differently and he fumbled less. At least it's something you can change.. I think..

Posted by: rachel216 | September 4, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Original_etrod: I will give you and JC that, he's looked better of late. My concern is his ability to do it every week for 4-5 months to the Superbowl. He looks like a different QB drive to drive, not just game to game. Not sure if it's lack of focus or mental toughness. He's definitely an unbelievable athlete but he's had time to proove himself. I have to believe this is without a doubt his last shot.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 4, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

It really does not matter which 3rd string quarterback we keep this year or even losing Collins for next year. The College QB draft for 2010 is really deep, and there is even another "Colt" available (Colt McCoy).

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 4, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I stand by my last analysis, Colt needs 2-3 years to learn how to not throw every pass side arm off one foot, he has some intangibles that we all like to see, but skill isn't one of them. chase will always be 5 inches shorter then the rest of his roster, but he has better mechanics.

If either goes in we are looking at a big L of a season. It depends on what Zorn would rather work with.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 4, 2009 8:56 AM |

It actually does matter. You want to build up a team with continuity and experience in the syste -- familiarity with the playbook, receivers, coaches, etc. -- instead of adding a new rookie every year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

jeep jeep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 4, 2009 8:56 AM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

It really does't matter which QB is kept. "Gimme your money or I'll take you to court Snyder" will change coaches every other year anyway so there's no such thing as continuity and experience in the system.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | September 4, 2009 7:49 AM |

------------------

I am generally a "positive" fan, but I do agree with your assessment. I believe Zorn, like Gibbs, has a mental block regarding how to call plays. I believe he overthinks it while the defenses just play to our weaknesses.

I believe going from 6-2 to 2-6 could be partially balmed on play-calling. Like there is a"quota" to be met. We are down 14 points, there is 7 minutes left, it's 2nd and 8: please either pass or call a trick play. There is no shame in calling 5 passes in a row if that is what is needed. Using run to set up the passing game is a historical consideration. it doesn't fool any one south of Detroit.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 4, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse