Offensive Players Want to Play Thursday

Jim Zorn has told the offensive starters that, after their performance in a 47-3 loss Saturday night to Carolina, they need to prepare to play Thursday and veteran players told Jason Reid and Paul Tenorio that they agree.

"Yeah, no doubt we have to do this," wide receiver Antwaan Randle El said. "With the way we played, it's just the right thing to do."

Offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said that the group has too much pride "to let that be the last taste in their mouth. I never doubted that they'd want to go back out [Thursday, in the preseason finale against Jacksonville at FedEx Field] and show what they're about."

Players said that Zorn has not specified how many series they can expect to play. They'll game plan for the first two series, but if they "sustain a drive, it might be one and out."

Struggles weren't limited to the offense Saturday, but defensive starters get a break Thursday. "This is the first time since I've been here that I would say the other team played with more intensity than we did," linebacker London Fletcher said. "Obviously we didn't need to see the game tape to know we didn't play well."
...

By Cindy Boren  |  August 25, 2008; 12:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sinclair Is Released
Next: Taylor: "Next Few Days Will Tell A Lot"

Comments

Posted by: the doc | August 25, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Cuddos

Posted by: Devo | August 25, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

3-13, here we come!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said that the group has too much pride "to let that be the last taste in their mouth..."

Save it for the Giants then, the Redskins really can't be this dumb can they?

Let them sit and get even angrier for a few more days and take it out on the champs.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

2nd time in a row I posted right after the beep. And its only Monday. Not a good sign ...

Doughty's first couple of games last year were pretty poor. But he raised his game a lot with the rest of the defense in the last 4 games. He's not a high talent guy. When paired with Landry, they had chemistry.

Haven't seen the preseason games, but my sense is that I'd wait until Landry and Doughty are playing together before I'd decide to remove Doughty as a starter.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, FINE, Mason makes the team.

I concede the Mason issue, please issue me a pass to the Marcus Mason Fan Club

I am also purchasing a Marcus Mason jersey....I'm fully invested

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Good call Ray. You don't risk injury in a meaningless game. Thats why the coach makes the call on who plays. Not the players.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the title of this thread ... I found this quote from Cooley at the end of the latest article on his blog ... "- and for the first time in the past couple weeks I can't wait to get back to practice."

Maybe the team was feeling complacent going into the Carolina game?

I don't think Zorn humiliated or called out Samuels. It was straight up candor -- Samuels basically said the same thing after the game.

Peeps up here sure post alot. There was one excellent post at the end of a thread that I will repost in a second (and it wasn't Corkczar, who has been a reposting machine of his own posts ... thanks for signing those btw ... for scrolling purposes).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

On a positive note I think Erasmus James might end up being our smartest move during the offseason.. Its still early but I think he could end up contributing quite a bit this year

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 12:17 PM

I agree when I was able to watch him, he looked good got pressure and I think made a tackle, I cant wait to see him this week.

Posted by: SAK | August 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Earl Sugarloaf III - re: SS vs. FS

Fair enough, agree to disagree. I do like what I've seen from Horton so far (and obviously I like Moore too). I'd rather Doughty played up to his billing that was created by his play last season, but that's something that Blache is going to have to deal with. Hopefully getting Landry and Washington back on the field turns this defense around.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

To summarize Greg's up to the moment personnel thoughts:

Marcus Mason -- on board
Jason Peters -- on board
Anquan Boldin -- not on board

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Save it for the Giants then, the Redskins really can't be this dumb can they?

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 25, 2008 1:06 PM

I agree with this. That game was the perfect motivation to get ready for the season. Zorn should let these guys stew in their anger and truly focus themselves for next Thursday rather than blowing the steam this Thursday.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

has anyone put together a mock roster yet??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

So they they will play against a second string defense of JAX (because I am sure they will not be stupid enough to play their starting defense for that long) and feel good about themselves.

As much as I hate to say it 8-8 is the best case scenario for us...

Posted by: genius | August 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sinclair was a good special teamer. I hope they can add him back to squad later as a practice player or something. Too bad he hurt a vertebrea. Talk about thin at LB.

QB fumbling, Jason C worst in the NFL?? With all the time Zorn reportedly spends with Campbell asking him to play through getting swiped at and throwing dummies at him to simulate a pass rush, he ought to tell him how to protect the football when he is getting sacked. Sounds defeatist, but I feel that Campbel's loose hold on the football and penchant for fumbling cost us games, momentum, points, everything these last few seasons. The green-bay game last year comes to mind. In some cases he must learn to go down while protecting the football. This was supposed to be one of the things Zorn was working on, but in the Carolina great regression game we saw more of the same old habits. Holding the ball, getting sacked because you are being a statue in the pocket and fumbling.

Cambpell needs to start using his legs to move around, and hold on to the football if he gets hit. Zorn can be snide all he wants with how much Brennan "moves the pocket too often" but its something Cambpell needs work on. If heat is on, they should have started calling sprint right or sprint left and rolling him out to use some of that athleticism, otherwise there are far better pocket passers available around the league.

Posted by: DTC | August 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Ray, how much better are they going to get by playing a few series against Jacksonville? I think they should still play Jansen, or any other vets that are not playing well and there is established depth at their position (which isn't many).

Otherwise, hold the starters out, let them get healthy, embarrassed, and angry. Let them deal with the local media talking for two weeks about how they lacked intensity and they sucked. Save it for the Giants.

Posted by: Alobar | August 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

al, not bad.....

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The most important post of the weekend ... personally, my caption would be "Its better for a player to have the taste of bile in in his mouth for a few days in the preseason than the regular season."
_____________

Other highlights of this weekend's preseason games:

CARDINALS WON
BILLS BEAT COLTS
PATRIOTS GOT SLAUGHTERED
FALCONS BEAT TITANS
PACKERS BEAT DENVER
JETS BEAT GIANTS
LIONS BEAT THE BROWNS
SAN FRANCISCO BEAT THE BEARS

Yeah...that's REAL realistic and representative of the REGULAR SEASON.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | August 25, 2008 1:15 AM

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

In Campbell's first 7 starts, he only fumbled once. His best stat. Last year, he was so-so in that area. What changed?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg.

I'm not in his fan club. But as a avid watcher of the Redskins since day one of Head Coach Petibone (which means I've been watching ALOT of losing seasons since they last won a SB when I was all of 11), I see Mason as a breath of fresh air to Betts who is a product of a Steve Spurrier draft......

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

DTC excellent point about Campbell I have often thought he is way too statuesque in the pocket... what is so wrong with rolling out of the pocket when the line breaks down seems to me lots of QB's around the leaugue do it...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"I never doubted that they'd want to go back out [Thursday, in the preseason finale against Jacksonville at FedEx Field] and show what they're about"
___________

You think Portis feels that way? Other than the one TD and a handful of blocks, his play has been totally unimpressive this preseason. I'm on record up here predicting that Mason doesn't make the team, but you gotta hand it to the kid, he's making the vets look bad.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a great relief to him and his family ... and I'm glad whenever ANY injury is not too serious, but this particular bit of information (based on the preceding performance) does not increase my comfort levels.

"Jon Jansen also gave a quick update on the foot injury he suffered Saturday night, saying it is a little bruised. "No doubt in a couple of days, it'll be fine," Jansen said. He expects to be ready for the season opener Sept. 4."

Can we get an injury report on how HEYER is feeling?

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | August 25, 2008; 12:57 PM ET

Isn't this bad news?

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee we lose a starter for the season...

If I'm wrong, I'll slice m own Hammy with my colon shank.

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 25, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Its funny to me Greg, because Boldin and Peters both address a similar issue. Campbell needs to find a possession WR where he can get rid of the ball quickly. The quick throw means less sacks/pressures/hits on Campbell. That's what Boldin brings.

From what I've read, Jansen has been a sieve so far and Peters could solve that problem. He gives Campbell more time. Don't know much about about Peters, but a LT usually makes it to the Pro Bowl based on pass protection.

Either way, they are both means to similar goal.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Jansen should have stuck to doing game coverage

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Among the other positives (there are some) so far this preseason, esp. Carolina, has been the injury COMEBACKS ... Rocky, Double Move, Blades.

Two other high points for me re: the Carolina game: (1) commercials for the Maryland and Virginia lotteries (which I think are some of the best commercials on television) and (2) the real-time blog moderators provided by WaPo during and directly after the game. There were some hurtful, hateful, and ugly posts by fake name robbers ... and WaPo was quick to clean that up. Thanks!

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I posed this question earlier but is anyone worried about Malcom Kelly??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Opening paragraph from a Times article today:

Was it written by Dan Snyder?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

sween, I caught the sneaky thing in there where the Browns are grouped with the teams whose exhibition losses cannot be mistaken for a prediction of how they'll fare in the regular season... and I still don't buy it...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Really? Did you not play in the New England game last year?

Posted by: hlacy | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

al, if we just drafted 2 right tackles with 2 of the second round picks the team had, then I'd agree. But the team didn't do that, they drafted 2 receivers. I'm not having this discussion with you AGAIN. You're giving up on Thomas and Kelly in order to get Boldin. In suggesting the trade for Peters, I'm not suggesting giving up on any draft picks.

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

By the way somebody drop some money into my commissary. I gotta get some new shoes.

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

From what I could tell, Springs was the #1 CB, and Delhomme never tried to throw in his direction. Double Move seemed to get picked on (which is what they do in game planning ... go for the perceived vulnerability) and a lot of completions happened in his zone, but I think his "yardage after contact" stats for the game must have been zero or less. He was tackling well.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice catch Anon. GG was so grating that numerous players lobbied in the media for him to become the HC. Pretty clear who the Times writer is stroking ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

oh goody, Jansen will be ready to go, we're saved! Crap

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The Giants have moved Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end, so the return of Strahan looks remote.

Posted by: cindy | August 25, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Nate, the injuries on the Browns roster are way bad. That one was not a sneak. Plus Brady Quinn sucks.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I posed this question earlier but is anyone worried about Malcom Kelly??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:24 PM

I think it's kind of tough to be worried about someone who was never counted on in the first place. Of course when I say "worried", I'm talking about the actual WR position and not Malcolm Kelly specifically.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

anyone else think yesterday's closing ceremonies were basically a mess?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The starters do need the work, at least on the offensive line. They weren't even able to get completely out of the way of the Panthers' defensive lineman -- I swear there was actual contact on more than one occasion before they hit Campbell.

You could call this a preseason aberration, but let's not forget that pesky Patriots game last fall. Two blowouts of this magnitude seem to suggest something of a talent deficiency -- at least.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think Heyer is ready to be an every down OT? I don't think he is yet but am by no means an expert on such stuff. I would like to see him get a bit more training/seasoning as he seems to be a good chunk of raw talent.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I also found a draft agenda in a dumpster of an Awards Committee meeting ... you were on the agenda for calling out someone for "flip flopping like a pair of flip flops."

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

From the AP story:

“Obviously this is not the way you want it to happen but it’s an opportunity for a lot of guys, and I am one of the guys who has to step up and take advantage of it,” said Kiwanuka, who walked off the field with defensive line coach Mike Waufle well after teammates left the field following a short morning walk through.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Cut Jansen. That is all.

Posted by: Ben | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Zorn said himself that the O Line looked "soft" not exactly a ringing endorsement

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I posed this question earlier but is anyone worried about Malcolm Kelly??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:24 PM

What, me worry?

Posted by: Alfred E. Newman | August 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

+++Excellent news: there's a new free credit report commercial -- the dudes are rapping.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 12:37 PM+++

Well that IS good news. Rather have beaten the Panthers or had someone besides Moore and a redundant punter look good, but if the Dudes are rappin,' all's well with the world.

Make sure someone tells Zorn.

We kid because we love.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If there was a problem with the entire line, then I blame Bugel. The man should take some time off to be with his family &or the skins need to have a second O-Line coach to help him out.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Heyer is ready to play full time, but I don't think Jansen is anymore either, if I got choose between an old guy who is gonna get beat and needs help or a young guy who is gonna be beat and needs help, I say go with the young, at least there is a future there.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

that v was me writing an ampersand, not sure what happened.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

If there was a problem with the entire line, then I blame Bugel. The man should take some time off to be with his family ∨ the skins need to have a second O-Line coach to help him out.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:33 PM

Eh, it wasn't the ENTIRE o-line. I mean, Randy Thomas looked okay....

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Zjif2,

But the old guy will only get beat 25% of the time where the kid will get beat 50% of the time.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where i can find audio for Zorns press conference after the game Saturday? i can't watch the videos on redskins.com at work. Thanks!

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

anyone else think yesterday's closing ceremonies were basically a mess?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:29 PM

Nope the only part I thought was a mess was the British Mayor with his jacket open.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

has anyone put together a mock roster yet??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:12 PM

No but the one that showed up in carolina was a mockery. does that count?

we kid becauee we love...

Posted by: Corkczar | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM

The other 65% of the time it will be half mental.

Posted by: Yogi Berra | August 25, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I just pray he doesn't lose a step.

We kid because we love.

cork,
(trying to take the sting out of his sarcasm)

Posted by: corkczar | August 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, the Redskins stink -- stink like a three day old roadkill skunk. They stink like fermented dog poop that has been sitting in a humid house for a few days. This is clearly a rebuilding year. The line play, especially on offense, could potentially be the worse in the entire NFL. Jansen has lost his skills, Stephon Heyer is a bum who had a good showing last year, that rookie from Iowa is a scrub, and the rest of the line just plain stink. It doesn't matter just how nifty of an offense Jim Zorn is running (whether it's the west coast offense or the SE DC offense), if you can't block anyone in the NFL, this team will stink up the NFC east. This team was so bad on Saturday night, it made Steve Spurrier's offense look impressive -- and that offense couldn't compete in the NFL.

Posted by: SkinsPaperBagHead | August 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

awww Greg, just getting you sucked in. Not sure how we could land Peters w/o giving up some real talent. The young WR's will do nothing for this team in 2008 (rookie WRs rarely are) and its not at all clear if either will be any good in 2009.

Draft picks rarely solve immediate needs and frequently, they never pan out. Solve the problem.

As for drafting ... in the draft prior to this one, I suggested the Skins make pretty much the entire draft OL. Just because these guys were getting older and we'd need to restock. I'm not going to judge much by a couple preseason games, but ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Alex, I wish I could agree, but so far Jansen has been beat repeatedly, every game so far, I don't trust him at all.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Okay, 4/5ths of the line. Point remains, Bugel needs an assistant.

The TE coach stepping in doesn't work when we have mostly pass catching TE's. What's he going to do tell everyone to chip block on every play, because thats more or less what we did?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Better commercial jingle - Free Credit Report or Easterns?

Easterns gets my vote.

Posted by: CBT | August 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM
=====================

Suckerpunch ran right past him on the Panthers' first play. It was clear Springs has lost two steps. I expect him to play a lot of safety this year and let the young pups run with the WRs.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

as far as who gets cut, who don't, at this time, when in doubt, cut the older dude out. For EX: mason over cartright (love rock, but some one will nab mason--rock, not so much).

need younger d & o lineman. man we are an old team so quite concerned we're a below average year or 2 away from beginning to rebuild. Everyone of our starting O-line man got "punked" several times--casey rabach was man handled on a few plays. I am dreading a 6--10 season.....

Posted by: tab | August 25, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

talkshowhost it's on WashingtonRedskins.com. Some people need to go there that are saying the sacks were JC fault. Here it from Zorn's mouth who had a better view than all of us. 3-4 JC had no chance due to line play.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

After an impressive 35-17 win over The Giants in 11 days, the fiasco of a game we called the Carolina\Washington preseason game will be forgotten!

HAIL

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

When are we going to stop trying to patch things together and decide to blow this thing up and start over??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I hate the fact that the Redskins have the smallest line in the league....Rabach, Kendall, and Jansen all being under 300, worries me.

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:33 PM

That's cruel dude. This dude is the OLine Headmaster of all OLines.

You don't think Buges got up in them? I'm sure the last couple of weeks were hard on Buges and it may have filtered down to his dirtbags. But, I am sure Buges did his thing and will continue to his thing to turn that poor performance over.

It didn't elp that he had Jansen in the starting line up, either. Heyer should replace him........

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh God, we lost a PRESEASON game.

The season is over. Fire Zorn, Trade Campbell, Portis and Moss for Brady, LT and Boldin. We need a GM.

Posted by: Typical Skins Fan | August 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:46 PM

Blowing it up is a 5-10 year process, in terms of when we would see the team in contention. How long ago did SF "blow it up" and dump TO & JG? Oakland?

Blowing it up never works like people think it will and I think the only time owners do it is for their own money issues.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 1:47 PM

Thing is, the most affected aspect of your concern should be the running game. This doesn't seem to be a problem. It's pass-protection that's mind-bogglingly bad, which should be helped out by having smaller, quicker linemen.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

so, sween, where are you coming out today? Erasmus James or Rob Jackson? Which one will McCain pick as his VP candidate?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

If this is what non-Buges OL looks like, he needs to groom an assistant, and NOW. Buges is amazing, but he'll eventually want to retire, and I'm dreading that day if this will be the result.

Posted by: Karen | August 25, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Agreed 4th, I said earlier, that I wanted to be a fly on the wall when Blache reviewed the film with the defense. Make that when Bugel goes over the OL play as well. I have a feeling they're getting tore up, and rightfully so...

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Are we done wasting our time with Mix?

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke, I am utterly amazed that you can advocate keeping Doughty in as the starter while admitting you haven't seen any games.

I think it very likely that your opinion would be much different if you saw how horrendous he has been in all 4 pre-season games.

Blache always says the guy never makes the same mistake twice....I would believe that if Doughty wasn't discovering unheard of mistakes in every outing....

Posted by: Keino | August 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

4th,

The fact is the O-line has not had a coach at practice for 2 weeks, what did people think would happen.

I am saying that you get someone in there now in case he needs to take time off again, rather than letting him leave for 4 days and the o-line goes unmanaged.

A TE coach is not a line coach.

Bugel should be grooming us a new kid to step in for him when he retires, probably in about 5 years, it be smart long term planing.

Is it cruel... a bit. But they need to have a backup plan.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

2010 season is when we'll look to possibly "blowing it up" and rebuilding. We'll see then.

Also, from SI :

"Several interesting points here. One: This is Holmgren's 10th season in Seattle. He coached seven years in Green Bay. Weird. Most people would think the opposite -- 10 years in Green Bay, seven here. Two: Holmgren has long been heavily admired by other owners in the league. Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder love him, and I think part of Holmgren would love to prove his mettle in a cauldron like the NFC East, a part of the country he's never experienced. Would those jobs be open in 2009 or beyond, if Holmgren takes 2009 to find the inner Mike? Who knows? Three: League friends of Holmgren think he's never gotten over being stripped of his GM responsibilities three years ago, when Ruskell came in."

Interesting article on Holmgren, but it's kinda just saying he's a very good coach, which is obvious.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

also, this made me laugh :

"The Bengals re-acquired a capable wide receiver. All it cost them was their soul. ... It'd be nice if the Bengals stood for something, other than losing.''
--Cincinnati Enquirer columnist Paul Daugherty, on the team's re-signing of troubled wide receiver Chris Henry, who, since being drafted in 2005 by Cincinnati, has been arrested five times for, in order, possession of marijuana, possession of a concealed firearm and aggravated assault with a concealed firearm, DUI, providing alcohol to underage girls in a hotel room and assault. In addition, police were called but no charges filed when Henry allegedly stiffed a parking lot attendant for payment last November and the two men argued. He has been suspended three times for a total of 15 games in his four-year career.

The signing comes in the same year that twice the Bengals said publicly they would definitely not re-sign Henry -- and after they have been hit with several injuries to receivers in camp, including to starters Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

The signing is ridiculous and reprehensible, and Daugherty is overwhelmingly correct. But read the message boards in Bengal Land, and you get a different story. This from "XElitist03,'' on the newspaper's Bengals forum: "paul daugherty should quit his job before he gets fired. he is miserable. he is more miserable than chris henry. i would much rather have chris henry in cincinnati gang-banging than paul writing another article for the newspaper.''

Thanks for that fine bit of perspective, XElitist03.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Chris Henry should lose the privelage of playng professional football

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Keino -- if I have choice to make between believing what I see in regular season play or comments on preseason play, I'll go with the regular season.

I don't doubt what people here are saying on Doughty. Doughty did play well last year once he and Landry got a few games under their belt. We've all seen how that chemistry between safeties is important ... this blog was once filled with guys pining for Ryan Clark. I suspect that chemistry returns when Landry returns

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

trail, yes he should, he should also lose the privledge of being a free man, and walking the streets, because I'd venture to guess that had any of you done what he's done, you'd be sitting next to Prison Balls and I, sharpening your colon shanks.....

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Eh, it wasn't the ENTIRE o-line. I mean, Randy Thomas looked okay....

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 1:35 PM

Samuels looked great. He only got beat on that one play and that was by Julius Peppers in a contract year - it was bound to happen. Give samuels a break. Kendall looked pretty good too. Rabach had an off-night and Jansen continues to show why he doesnt deserve a roster spot.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I for one am not total gloom and doom on the year now. I am nervous about our defense, it hasn't looked very strong at all yet, and I'm very very scared of Jansen, other than that I think we'll be ok. Unfortunately, that translates to what our record has been, the last few years, mediocre, I think everyone got a little over excited after the first 3 preseason games where truthfully, Colt won those games against guys who are gonna struggle to make an AFL roster. I think the one thing we have proven is that we shouldn't have spent 3 second round picks on wr's and a backup TE. I agree with the pick of either Thomas or Kelly, but after that, we should have gone oline or dline. Sure would be nice to have another strong DE or DT, and a another good young tackle that could play if jansen continues to suck.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 2:06 PM

Greg are you saying that our fine justice system somehow favors famous and or wealthy people. Sir that is nonsense and I will debate you later. Meet me on my gold plated yacht later and we will debate it over lobster and champaign.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Since so many people here think its so clear that the o-line is a prpblem, why don't we address it as best we can. No way we can replace so many guys on the OL. Instead, we need to get Campbell WRs that can catch the short passes. A top possession guy. Anyone know who might be available? Perhaps in AZ? Greg, thoughts?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Why does the media always bring up the #s of arrest vs. conviction?

Because the arrest # will always be higher. So, how many of those arrest resulted in actual prosecution?

Exactly. The only thing that causes for concerns to me are his arrest was the DUI and Providing alchol to a minor....

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

To be fair Sean Spring got caught for a DUI 2-3 years ago.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Alex, because I'm not up for parole until 2010, I'm going to have to take a rain check on the lobster...thanks for the offer just the same....

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

your right 4th, it's normal to be arrested 10 times while going about your daily bidniz. 10 arrests, but never did anything wrong or was somewhere he shouldn't be. it's all a conspiricy of the man keeping him down

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Age Issues Redskins

It would appear wide receivers are in their prime from age 25 to 30. The great ones make it a few years longer before slowly falling off the radar.

Problem...

Santana Moss and Randle El you guessed it 29 and James Thrash 33...

Posted by: Trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Minnesota just cut Derrick Pope (LB)...good ST player, has started at Will and has backed up at Mike in Miami...pretty young guy (26)...probably better than Fincher...could be an option.

Posted by: Seth | August 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 2:06 PM

Greg,

Don't tell me he was a bonus points offender like you. Man, how low can you go?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. In your case, I feel like you were lured into it by Redcoat. How's the food, anyway?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

that many arrests tells me he just does not know how to talk to cops in a way to get out of trouble.

Like me, a cop hassles me and I ask one of two things: What's you're badge number? Is the going bribe still $100?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 2:08 PM

Samuels didn't just get beat, he sacked JC himself, forced a fumble and caused a turnover. That's not what I expect out of a pro-bowl tackle who is trusted to contain the DE 1-on-1. I don't care who he's playing against. Samuels was not "great".

Kendall was also beaten a couple times by Damione Lewis - either for a sack or a tackle for loss on a run.

If the line plays like this during the regular season, there's no shot for any success.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

what about aggravated assault?

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I really can't talk about my pending lawsuit for "Bonus Point Violations" against RC. Thats a post for another day.

Speaking of RC, where is he lately? Ted Ginn takes one to the house, and he's MIA, whats up with that?

Seth, what round was he drafted in and when?

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

4th I hope you are joking...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The line will get better as the season goes on. It did look awful, but we know that it isn't. Jansen will need some help from TEs or RBs, but that's been the case for a couple of years now. This should be a quick release offense and they should not need to pass protect for long once Jason and the receivers get in rhythm. We know this line can run-block, so I'm calling the Carolina game an anomaly.

More importantly, I am getting more annoyed by the minute that practice started almost an hour ago and we still have no update on the most important question: IS LARON LANDRY PARTICIPATING?!

Posted by: Mike H. | August 25, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Practice is underway minus, of course, Jason Taylor and Jon Jansen. PTen reports he doesn't see Byron Westbrook or Jason Goode and will check on that.
Todd Wade was doing rehab stuff over by the trainer's tent.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

7th Round in 2004 (selected by Miami)

Hopefully a proven veteran comes available but if not we need someone who can play teams and start in an emergency Clearly LB depth is an issue...pretty sure we all agree on that

Posted by: Seth | August 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I posed this question earlier but is anyone worried about Malcom Kelly??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:24 PM

Posted by: | August 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

RC, Ted Ginn, MIA... huhuhuhuhuh. ..maps.

Quite a turn to see their performance way up and ours way down, eh?

...s'only preseason... just sayin'...

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Also, Blache needs to move Springs to FS, Landry to SS, and start Smoot and Carlos at CB. "Get the players on the field."

Posted by: Mike H. | August 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Cyn does that mean Dirty Thirty is out there?

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Jason Goode may be gone...

I thought we would keep Byron though

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I posed this question earlier but is anyone worried about Malcom Kelly??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 1:24 PM

Posted by: anyone | August 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:10 PM

That is one of the worst solutions to an offensive line problem I've ever heard of. You've got 4 aging linemen, 4 guys that will need to be replaced soon, and you think trading assets to pick up a WR will help?

Ask Detroit and Jon Kitna how it feels to have possession receivers with no offensive line.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

My head hurts 24-7.

Posted by: Jon Kitna | August 25, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Todd Wade was doing rehab stuff over by the trainer's tent.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:21 PM

Cindy - does this mean Landry was not by the trainers and, therefore, was participating? That would be great news.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

PSP agreed even if the O Line can hold together for another year then what?? The fact of the matter is that next season we will have no choice but to get some young talent on the O Line only problem is we have extended these guys contracts and are paying them 2 much

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

wonder when some people on here will wake up and see campbell is not a long term solution at QB. he just isn't that good.

Posted by: Peter | August 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Jansen should not be worried about the opener. He should be worried about getting cut. Dude is getting Pwned by everyone.

Posted by: McSame as Bush | August 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Springs at FS and Laron back to SS. Landry can help with the run defense and you gotta think that having rogers, smoot, and springs on the field is much better than doughty in coverage. Reed is in there to be a hammer, and DeAngelo ran through him like he was a blade of grass, it was pitiful, I say get the best players on the field. And I too, like the idea of trading for Peters, I don't think we need to spend another pick for a WR, because we already have spent too much on WR's, but we are in dire need of Oline help and have been for a while, get Peters, move Jansen to a backup role and continue develop rinehart and heyer to be ready. Since the chances of Thomas making it through a season are about 5%.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

psps -- two years ago, I advocated using 1/2 the draft on the OL. I advocated using about 3 of this years picks on OL. I've been all over this OL getting older thing.

So tell me, what assets do the Skins have right now that will help our o-line before 2011?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Peter I think you are saying something that a lot of people just dont want to admit...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:16 PM

everything you described happened on ONE play. It was a horrible play, but it was an anomaly. It happens every once in a while. Samuels was solid the rest of the game.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Give Campbell two years before pulling the plug on 'em. Maybe not ideal, but we've kinda got ourselves stuck in this position whether it works out or not. Might as well go all out.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

what about aggravated assault?

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:17 PM

He got off on that one. The accuser has had a history of lying and the prosecuter didn't want that to enter in as evidence, but it did and the prosecuters didn't want to prosecute anymore.......

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:28 PM

I fairness, I think they are trying to develop some young guys into starting-quality players. Figure Heyer, Geiss, and Rinehart projecting to starting RT, RG, and C in a couple years. Draft a stud or two to anchor the left side with early round picks and you're probably ok. Granted, it will probably not all work out as smoothly as that.

Posted by: Mike H. | August 25, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

psp, it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense, I'm pushing my foolish agenda, and to do that, I remove logic, and intelligence...

Please answer my original question...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The veterans should be calling a crisis center because they got violated. I do not want them to play thursday. I think they should keep that bad taste in their mouths until the Giants game.

Posted by: McSame as Bush | August 25, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Also I'd like to state that Jason Taylor BETTER be ready to go in 11 days. Seriously, he better not miss that game...

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

4th I hope you are joking...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:19 PM

I understand I would take hits for this, but I have a certain perspective that others may not have.

I have been arrested before and put on trial and the case got thrown out because of certain things the officers did or claimed they did but didn't happen. I felt great. Yeah, I got 'arrestted' but I didn't do anyhting wrong. And my day in court proved it.

So, I don't worry about the # of arrests. It's the convictions that count.........

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM

Draft picks, which would presumably have to be given up to get Boldin.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The Truth...

I find myself agreeing with you more often than not... however I just cant see them letting Campbell Flounder for 2 more years!! Maybe I am wrong but i gotta believe if he doesnt step it up this year it could be his swan song...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The Landry Report
PTen reports that Landry is on the first with the first-team defense and actually closed a good amount of space to pick off a lazy pass down the sideline. Players are only in shells [and, presumably, shorts].

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

so a guy got arrested 10 times because cops claimed he did stuff? sorry you don't get arrested 10 times in your daily routine even if it includes going to clubs and stuff

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Correction: that was in 7-on-7 work.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

____________________________________________

Sorry Al Zeke, but that just doesn't fly. Pre-season 1st unit on 1st unit is a fine indication of what can be expected come regular season and if Doughty is the answer at SS, then I have to ask what the heck is the question being posed? After a few games under his belt last year, he looked decent when he and his weaknesses were hidden in the scheme (read wasn't asked to cover anyone with Landy 30 yards off the ball). What he has been asked to do thus far has nothing to do with chemistry. Man Coverage is not a chemistry issue. Proper pursuit angles are not a chemistry issue. Tackling is not a chemistry issue.

People pining for Ryan Clark is not a chemistry issue, but he at least demonstrated an adequate ability to perform all of the 3 above mentioned skills (Cover, Pursue and Tackle). Put this way, if we had Ryan Clark we certainly wouldn't need Reed Doughty.

Kareem Moore looks perfectly capable of out-producing Doughty at S.

Posted by: Keino | August 25, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I thought moore looked good

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I wish everyone would chill on Jansen. He has played so little football the last 12 months I'm not surprised. Damn it, he is a Redskin and I would rather lose with him in there than hope someone else could take his place.

Also, I am sure he is going to have some help from Fred Davis, Portis, or Sellers as the real games start.

Posted by: isnadd | August 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:36 PM

Unless he actually regresses, he'll be here at least until his contract is up. Teams have learned from Brees and Eli - you don't give up on your "franchise" QB unless you absolutely have to. Give them as much time as possible to succeed, or you may end up regretting it.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Mike H and all, when the time comes I am sure Danny will open the wallet for new O-line talent as he is asked. We may make a move for a guy coming out of his first contract or something.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

trailblazer I'm not saying I think it's right or not, just giving my opinion. Unless Campbell acts like Ryan Leaf out there, I really can't see him getting pulled anytime this season or next. This year he kinda has a(nother) free pass with the "He's learning a new system", whether that's right or wrong I don't know. I'm not a coach/GM so really can't say. I think he has all the tools but I really don't know.

Next year we'll hear "This is Campbell's year to prove himself" if he doesn't perform well this year, and next year it will really count and management will hold him accountable.

It's sad to say but it might be that Campbell's career will be negatively affected by all the coaching changes he's had. Just unfortunate really.

And I hope I'm completely wrong and Campbell is MVP, I'm far from a hater of any Redskins, much less our starting QB.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing personally against Jansen but I really do not care whether he makes it back in time or not. I half want to see Heyer give it a run at right tackle. Heyer, to my mind, did not play worse at right tackle last year than Jansen has this pre-season. In fact, save for the Seattle disaster, Heyer has probably played better. Though he is coming off an injury.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 25, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Even though it's still only pre-season it's nice to see Redskin "fans" are in mid-season form when it comes to panicky doomsday prognosticating.

Posted by: Link | August 25, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going back and forth with you anon. Your facts ain't even straight.

I was just saying. You do't agree, then you don't agree.

But don't act like the police and start pulling supposed 'facts/truths' out your....... never mind.

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

" Pre-season 1st unit on 1st unit is a fine indication of what can be expected come regular season "

ummm, no, it really isn't?

Colts have been historically bad in preseason the last 4 or 5 years...like, not winning a game bad. It's irrelevant.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

psps, do these draft picks turn into good OL before 2011? Not likely. They take time to develop.

Seems a lot of good OL are found in the middle rounds. Jason Peters wasn't even drafted, now he wants (and will probably get) $8mil. Joe Jacoby wasn't drafted either if I recall. To me, drafting OL is a numbers game. Get enough guys in and its likely you'll get a few keepers.

Trading a pick to solve a genuine problem makes sense. We got a genuine issue on the OL and at WR. Can't solve them all.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Believe it or not I actually watched the game a second time on Sunday and I know it was the preseason...

but there was some really ugly play out there and yeah so what Jansen is a "core" skins guy if you cant perform get off the field. I don't buy that I would rather lose with a bunch of guys I like

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore looks perfectly capable of out-producing Doughty at S.

Posted by: Keino | August 25, 2008 2:39 PM
=======

If by out-producing you mean "turning 10 yard runs into 50+ yard TD runs", yes, Moore looks perfectly capable of out-producing Doughty.

I can't believe so many people are so distracted by that one INT to ignore the fact that the player that is supposed to be the last line of defense flat-out whiffed on two humongous TD runs.

At least Doughty tackles his mistakes.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 25, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree on Doughty/Landry. They worked well at the end of last year. Ryan Clark was no better than Doughty and got repeatedly in pass coverage and was famously run over by the LT freight train in the 23-17 ot loss to San Diego that almost ended our season in 2005. Clark was solid. Doughty was solid. The difference is that Clark wanted a $5 mil bonus and real salary money. Doughty plays for the league minimum and is a value at that.

I frankly would like someone to step up ultimately and replace Doughty because he does have physical limitations. But I don't see that happening soon. Doughty/Landry start with the young(er) guys supporting them for now.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 25, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:48 PM

Yep, but in order of priority, OL is FAR ahead of WR. If the skins are trading a draft pick, it better be to shore up the offensive line woes - not to add a 5th receiver.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of receivers...

Will McMullen make the team??

Posted by: Trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM

Somebody pulled a DC Man88 on me! Don't liken me to that tool! I'm hard!

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 25, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I say keep that pick and swap it for more picks later on in the year like we did this time. 2 years with 10 choices or whatever would = drafting almost an entirely new roster in 2-3 years.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I have to say no-go on McMullen at this point. Too many drops. Keep 8 defensive lineman and keep Marcus Mason (he is just too good to let go).

Plus, if we cut McMullen and need him later, we can always call him back. Not so for Mason and I suspect even Rob Jackson. They will likely be picked up.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what they hope to get out of this. Osi Umenyora should be a cautionary tale. If 2 series on thursday would truly make a difference in how the season turns out then we are really in trouble.

What's more likely to affect the outcome of the season 2 series on sunday where they look sharp or 1 or 2 catastrophic injuries at a key position like London Fletcher, Springs or Samuels.

It's just silly in my opinion.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell's career stats:

With all the talk up here about giving up on him, I find it helpful to remind myself that he has started only twenty games. Twenty games. One and one-quarter seasons.

Yeah, I want him to get better, especially when it comes to his timing and putting the ball on the carpet. But to suggest that we've seen enough to know for sure how good he's going to be in this league... that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear with psps, Greg, etc.

I'd give up picks and/or talent if the Skins can solve issues at OL (presuming the preseason issues with Jansen are real) and perhaps LB, depending on if Rocky has lost a step.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

At least Doughty tackles his mistakes.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 25, 2008 2:48 PM

Don't know what game you were watching. Doughty was tossed aside like a rag doll on both of those runs. At least Moore made plays. Doughty was pretty much a negative player on the field. At least if he wasn't there, the skins could have accounted for his vacated space. The way he played, he looked like a live dummy that wasn't allowed to tackle the ballcarrier. And don't get me started on his pass coverage...

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

somone would have to find the # but I remember seeing some stats showing Campbell to be on pace at 20 games with a bunch of different starters, I think Brees was up there, and he was playing better then Eli, but I can't remember.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Zeke,

The stats obviously don't show it but Rocky is working his way back fairly well. I think he did much better in the carolina game than he did against the jets.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

psps -- problem with our WR's we have a bunch of 5th WRs. Only Moss and ARE can play at the NFL level and the WCO likes to use 3WRs. Thomas and Kelly are unknowns. For all that I'd love for Thrash to be great, he's got 5th WR talent.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Doughty had a bad game in both pass coverage and run support. No doubt. But I think that is not indicative of his normal play and the way that defense was shredded I would not hand out kudos to anyone (including Moore).

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes Dirty Thirty back on the field

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Both TD runs came on the Doughty, Moore was on the other side of the field and almost caught the sideline run. Moore could have done better and maybe caught these plays 20 yards downfield, but it is just wrong to say he whiffed and to blame him for either of those plays.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 25, 2008 2:54 PM
===========

Agreed on all points. McMullen's hands are a bit suspect and he has no burst at all. You can get him, or someone like him, in free agency easily enough.

I'm excited to see Jackson next year after an offseason of speed and strength work. I think he can be a Phillip Daniels-type workhorse in time, which would be tremendous value from a 7th rounder.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 25, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The Landry Report

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:37 PM

*squeal*

Posted by: freakzilla | August 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Now its Campbells fault that his own 300 pounders end up in his grill. Please dont even start with the qb talk. Campbell is the man period, the skins dont need a dominate QB to go all the way Rypien, Williams, JC will end up better then both of them.

Posted by: Stu | August 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

thanks Alex. Depth at LB is a concern if Rocky is OK. But if he wasn't that'd leave a good size hole. I like Blades, fwiw. Don't know he many LB positions he's good at that, though.

Our holes are on the OL if any of the starters don't play up to their level. And WR, where you need 3 to run the WCO.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The Genius returns

POSTED August 25 2008 9:56 AM BY David Elfin

The successful but grating Gregg Williams will return to Washington on Thursday when Jacksonville visits Landover in the preseason finale. Williams, the arrogant but effective boss of the Redskins' defense the past four season, was the players' pick to take over when coach Joe Gibbs retired in January. Instead, Williams not only didn't move up, he moved out after his interview with Redskins owner Dan Snyder went bad. Informed speculation is that Snyder didn't take well to Williams' implied criticism of the sainted Gibbs and perhaps thought he had another Marty "Mr. Know It All" Schottenheimer on his hands.

Williams landed with the Jaguars, who did something the Redskins didn't in 2007: win a playoff game. But he can't be as independent under defensive-minded Jack Del Rio as he was under the offensive-minded Gibbs.

I wish I could tell you how Williams feel about his return, but through a Jaguars spokesman, he "politely declined" my interview request. I shouldn't feel too bad, though. He has blown off the Jacksonville writers all summer. Guess they must be football novices, too.

-- David Elfin

Posted by: Elfin to da Post | August 25, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

sorry nate i just read your response to my calling you, cL, jm220, greg out.

i've always said don't believe me, believe the hall of fame coaches regarding JC. and patrick ramsey for that matter. you guys act like you know more than gibbs. i was calling for JC too but then i saw him play. in an actual game. that mattered.

he (joe) clearly did not want jc in there. brunell was fcked up (his arm was shot(sp)). if he could have he would have put brunell in last year. but thank god for todd. you did go to the playoff game last year didn't you? ohh btw jc was healthy "100%" for that game and the one before it.

his current coach was saying the same thing last week that we been saying about JC, (even when he's completing passes). the dude hangs on to the ball too long. and saturday night sacks could have been prevented. and he didn't have to fumble but he did as always.

you say you want to support the starter. do you know who picked the starter? danny and cerrato, not zorn. shti man have you heard what the coach has been saying about jc? probly not.

so don't kill the messenger. kill the coaches for saying jc is bad.

regarding my flip floping...i suggest you re-read my flip flopping posts. and see if you can find a tiny bit o humor in those posts. if you can't then drink some beer and read them again...and if you still can't...then try some pot...if you still can't...then i'm afraid we're going to have to break up cuz i don't think this is going to work out.

and for the record sadly i'm back on todd's bandwagon cuz there's no one else on that team. and like someone said hopefully zorn has enough balls to put in his man, whomever it is under center. otherwise 0-16. look what happened to david carr in houston. all the while people were complaining about the line...well he still sucks, line or no line. same with joey harrington too (danny's first choice instead of ramsey)

btw is that going to be jc supporters excuse de jour this year? the line? or the new system? well personally i'm glad it won't be the later cuz i'm just sick of that excuse.

and why do you hate brady so much? did you hate jordan too?

Posted by: dealer | August 25, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:00 PM

Yes, Thomas and Kelly are unknowns. But that doesn't mean they can't or won't get it done. We have two definite guys, 2 "possible" (more like probable) guys, and a solid vet that can step in. You don't give up serious assets to pick up another WR when that is your position depth.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

ps...yes, jansen sucks but we knew that like 3/4 years ago when another HOF-er called him out and said he's lost a step and then he gets injured...so now i think he's lost a couple of steps by now...all the while snyderato pick WR's.

Posted by: dealer | August 25, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

First off a few of those were Campbell's fault. That doesn't mean he's a lost cause but call it like it was. In a 3 step drop you have to get the ball out quick or you will take sacks.

Moore v. Doughty- Neither looked ready for primetime. My feeling was Moore's mistakes are more able to be "coached up" his angles and reads were horrible but he's a rook. Doughty just looked bad but he did yeomans work last and gets the benefit of the doubt...and the starting job.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I think that Campbell will be a pretty good NFL QB. But his career has been funky with weird coaching issues. So its not clear if Campbell will be a known quantity by the time his contract needs to be redone.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I love JC, but he has got to understand that he needs to get rid of the ball quicker. 4 seconds, that's it, it needs to be heading to a wr or the sidelines, period. To me, if he can't figure that out than collins or colt gets a shot this year. There is no doubt JC has the best physical tools, but several of those sacks were on him Saturday night.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Zeke,
I think if Rocky continues to improve as much as he did last time and if he stays healthy he could be near Pro-bowl caliber. but those are 2 big ifs.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Here you go Dealer. Listen to Zorn himself. He was at the game and on the sideline. If I am not mistaken you wasn't. He said 3-4 JC had no chance! LET ME SAY IT AGAIN NO CHANCE! But of course you know more than everyone else. What a joke you are.

8/24 video of Zorn http://www.redskins.com/

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Re: Campbell fumbling

The only time Campbell fumbled this week was when he was blindsided by his own tackle while throwing the ball. God only knows there were plenty of opportunities for him to drop the ball during contact this week.

Posted by: Croc | August 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Players are only in shells [and, presumably, shorts].

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:37 PM

Is this football or beach volleyball?

Posted by: Mull It | August 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Definitely too bad about Sinclair, too. I'd liked what I'd seen from him thus far, and hope the Skins keep him around on the practice squad, and bring him to camp next season.

Posted by: Croc | August 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just got a new Verizon cell phone. Does anyone know how to get "Hail to the Redskins" for a ringtone? All I can find like that is "Hail to the Victors" and "Hail to the Chief."

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

***Political Thought***
The more I read up on Joe Biden, the worse of a choice I think he really is for the VP slot. The man was a major figure in the creation of the US Drug War Policy in the 80's. And lets not forget Delaware is one of the biggest states with for corporate tax shelters.
***End Thought***

Bake to the Skins, wasn't JC a running QB in college? I think his senior year he had about 500 yards on the ground.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

there were some he had no chance on, when your LT gets slammed into your back you have no chance, but that almost safety was on JC and one other one was on him too, he has to know when to give up on a play and dump off or throw it away. I can't believe he didn't hasn't figured out how after almost two years of watching Brunel play, that's the one thing he coulda learned from the 8 car.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Dealer - John Riggins show will be back on from 6am - 10am next week.

Bye - Bye MIKE & MIKE. Now, they need to get rid of the other guy, Heard.....

Also, I didn't read your 1st post (I would if I knew where it was), but your points are sound and are getting me to pull the thoughts I had in the back of my head to the front.

Gibbs did like Campbell, but for down the road (2-3 years). To him, it dosen't matter what round you get picked in. It matters when you're ready. But everyone wants to play so they can get some huge contract.

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Zorn and Blache just clarified the plan for Thursday...only offensive starters will be made to play. Defensive starters will not.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

psps, its where you and I disagree. Thomas and Kelly aren't probable anythings right now. I posted the 2nd round WR picks over the past 5-6 years or so. About 25% of them put up starting quality numbers (average 500 yards/season). I think only 3/30 had made a Pro Bowl (ocho cinco, Chambers and Q). History says #2 WR picks are question marks.

If they do pan out, its likely to be next year or the year after before any real impact is made. I'm not anti-Kelly or anti-Thomas, just looking at what history says.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

after giving up 47 points to we even have defensive players?

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

=========

To be fair, the 8 car always made sure to back up a good 10 yards to get up a good head of steam on that throwaway.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 25, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Is this football or beach volleyball?

Posted by: Mull It | August 25, 2008 3:14 PM

In related news, the Beachvolley ball chick got a spot on Dancing with the Stars.....

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Alex35332 he is a beter choice than Clinton.

Funny how a former QB and coach on the field say 3 out of 4 no chance but you guys want to blame JC and you was no where near the field.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Brunell was like when small kids play the video games, keep dropping back till you throw either you get the pass off unscathed or its a 12 yard loss.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

***Political Thought***
***End Thought***

..............

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:16 PM

But his experince in international dealings is what ultimately gave him the nod. I think he is a good guy and knows the goings on of today and the right direction we need to go in. I was on his bandwagon to begin with for president even though SMACK tried to talk me out of it......

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden will be the undoing of Obama...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

jm220,
Agreed but still I think a bad choice. Hey what do I know, my families only been doing this stuff for a millennium and only the helped write of two constitutions, well the Magna Carta is not really a constitution, so 1.5.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

making the Offense play and not the Defense... why because they played so well?? really as said by many others neither should play

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Like Marcellus in pulp fiction said: "f pride!"

Seriously, I'm sure nobody is hyped about the game on Saturday, but get it worked out in practice and start the season with players as healthy as possible.

Posted by: jva | August 25, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

JM,

Unlike Zorn we don't have to worry about bruising any egos or ruining confidence. It's just an opinion of course but I can remember two in particular where he "tucked" the ball and started dancing with his feet.

It's clear he wasn't getting anywhere near the time he needed and he had taken a beating prior to those though so I can understand.

Remember though my football IQ: zero point zero.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex, agreed on Rocky. He was good last year. A full recovery, or something close to it and he can develop to a high level. An LB's biggest asset is to quickly 'read' the play, and that has nothing to do with the knee.

Unfortunately, its different with Rogers' knee, where his ability to make quick movements and direction changes are so critical.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex35332 do you really think he would be able to sleep if Clinton was number two? I know I wouldn't and would make sure somone tested my food and drinks everyday. I am just saying

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Best news of the day?
#1. Misty May on Dancing with the Stars
#2. Debbie Phelps Not on Dancing with the Stars

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Okay, cool, dealer's back on the Todd Collins bandwagon. Plenty of room on there, since the bits of Toddmania which had survived the playoff loss pretty much dissipated when he didn't exactly thrive in the training camp.

Good stuff, dealer. Good stuff.

Setting aside Gibbs' involvement in the selection of Campbell in the 2005 draft, when Gibbs had final say on every personnel move... If Gibbs didn't believe in Campbell, why didn't he play Collins when it finally dawned on him in 2006 that Brunell was kaput? We were 3-7 but by no means eliminated from the playoffs when Brunell was benched (the Cowboys and Giants made the playoffs with 9-7 and 8-8 records, respectively).

Did Gibbs play Campbell those last six games of '06 because he wanted to demonstrate how wrong Danny and Vinny were? Because he wanted the team to lose games? And why did he start Campbell for the whole '07 season until the injury? Did Danny and Vinny order him to do so?

Seriously, explain to me again how it is that you and Gibbs have had Campbell pegged all along as a poor NFL QB.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I missed the game which I think is a very good thing or I'd be in full schizo mode of the sky is falling to it's going to be fine. I saw the score and recap and turned it off - too much.

Game wasn't on NFLN and it was blacked out on my COMCAST channel. And I spent a good kajillion hours transfering old computer stuff to new computer which frankly took more time than it should. STUPID EFFIN VISTA!

So I'm back in we'll be okay mode. 9-7 with 10-6 if we have a few things go our way and 8-8 if we have a few things go against us.
I have no doubt I shall be KoolAid goggling in the early part of newxt week.

HTTR

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The one positive I will give Biden, he does speak his mind, I like that. And after 30 years in office, I think we are seeing him a full saturation of political corruption.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

We have an offense that relies on 4 yard passes and we still can't protect the QB? Great, maybe we should keep both punters to make sure we have a fresh one ready in the fourth quarter.

We have to be the only team in the league with an offensive "coordinator" who is apparently still learning the offense.

If someone dropped in from Mars and watched the last few games, who would they think is the rookie QB and who the four year vet? One guy is crisp, confident and gets the ball off on time. The other takes forever and seems in a fog.

Posted by: AAA | August 25, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Cindy - When did the WashPo start sending out emails with news in it? I got one and I didn't sign up for anything.......

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Having not been a good RI'er of late,I may have missed this so I'll ask.

How much does Soups coming back from an injury factor in to his play?

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear. I agree on that some of the sacks were JC's fault. I am by no means near the Collin band wagon. Not even close, JC is our QB this season and hopefully many years to come.

It's his 3rd year though, we need to start seeing progress and lots of it.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I guess he's "too old," but I was hoping for Sam Nunn for Obama's veep. Always liked that dude. Oh well. Biden it is.

It's not a good sign for the Dems that the polls are tied right now. Not a good sign at all. *sigh*

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

4th I remember getting them after I signed up on line for the other blogs, but I canceled the e-subscription.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

VP choice has so little impact on final outcome. The 24/7 cable bloviators just have to fill time and space. . . kinda like me.
That being said I think Biden was not the first choice thus delayed announcement. I think whoever was Option A either said no or they found the illegal immigrant prostitute love child from same sex relationship skeleton in the closet.

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 3:42 PM

Biden has never been anyone's first choice. First choice was Dick Cheney, but he wouldn't return Obama's calls.

Posted by: CC Barno | August 25, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I hear Toni Braxton is slated to be one of contestants on Dancing with stars she of the revealing Vegas costumes can't wait for that!!!!. Now back to football, yeah the starters need to play if nothing more than for continuity's sake let them hopefully get a couple of feel good moments and then get the hell out of there before Greg Williams unleashes the pit bull's on them, what's Landry's status for the Giant's game?

Posted by: Dargregmag@aol.com | August 25, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Obama may as well start practicing his concession speech... It was going to be a close one but Biden ended what might have been his shot

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

beep beep!

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Thats because they don't know how to play the game, they don't have any good tacticians, they still think they are supposed to move the candidates to the center, when that stopped working after Clinton's 92 campaign.

The Dems have a lot of good grassroots talent types, many of my friends are in that thing, and they dedicate themselves. But they have very little brilliance in terms of their managers, the guys who frame the message. The GOP is great at framing their message to draw people in.

They called Dona Brazil a genus for her get out the vote efforts in 2000, which had one of the lowest electoral turnouts in history.

Its part of why I never joined the Dem. Party, they can't politic their way out of a wet paper bag, and they hate anyone who tells them so.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This is a Skins blog you tards. Go to a political blog to talk politics.

Posted by: Wolf Blitzer | August 25, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 2:08 PM

I guess I watched a different game. Then rewatched it bcause i'm a masochist..

I agree Samuels DID play well except for well, y'know his slip n' slide ride into Soup.

But the interior trio did not, IMO. Kendal's best play was one where he pulled and lead a 15 yard sweep--but DIDN'T BLOCK anyone. He got walked back into the QB several times, collapsing the pocket as did the rest.

As has been pointed out, this is a VERY light line, and tends to get stoned against big guys. Where's all that zone blocking we keep hearing about? Light and old is not a good formula. Need to get bigger and younger. I'd keep a youngster over Wade.

The other bad news was on defense. The 'skins itty bitty DE's got consistently worked. I don't know if it's because he wants to "simplify" GG's complex defense, or because of the lack of LBs or because of Brain Fog, but I didn't see any stunts or games called by Blache.

This is a proud crew. They should take it to J-ville. Hope they get to go against the starters, at least for a series.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 25, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

At least Doughty tackles his mistakes.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 25, 2008 2:48 PM
_____________________________________________

DeAngelo Williams is holding the line. He'd like to discuss, Reed's bad angle on the long TD run and his multiple missed tackles after making these mistakes he allegedly tackles.....

What good is a "Last line of defense" than cannot defend the pass?

Posted by: Keino | August 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

++++I like the idea of Springs at FS and Laron back to SS. Landry can help with the run defense and you gotta think that having rogers, smoot, and springs on the field is much better than doughty in coverage.++++

Disagree. replacement FSs were almost ALWAYS late to the party, exposing CB's repeatedly on the deep ball. Putting Landry at Centerfield allows more press coverage from CBs who've lost a step in man to man skills.

In case you've forgotten, despite the tragic death of Taylor, moving Landry to FS is what changed the porous pass defense last year into something formidable enough to get the end of season run.

Now, by putting their BEST CB, Springs, at safety they weaken the CB position and leave Double Talk and Double Move back there without Landry to back them up.

The skins have two tought rookies in Moore and Horton who seem best suited to SS. If Doughty stinks it up like he did Thursday, I could see Kareem Moorse back there.

Posted by: corkczar | August 25, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, I got to watch a replay of the comcast post game show last night here in ATL. Got my first glimpse of this Larry Michael guy I've heard so much about. There was also Brian Mitchell and some guy from Around the horn whose name I can't remember(Black something maybe). Anyway, Brian M. just seemed angry and scowled the whole time he was on camera. Is this normal for him?

Posted by: GA_Skinz_Fan | August 25, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I like Mason. The Redskins should consider trading Betts for a good O-lineman who has played in the West Coast offense before or a D-lineman.

Posted by: Longbow1 | August 25, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Now we see why Jansen took snaps at center during camp. Raback is a sieve, move Jansen (since he is no longer quick enough with the bum heel) over to the center spot and put Heyer in at tackle. These are pro athletes not kids. Buges is too soft.

As for J. Campbell staying in the pocket, lets not forget this is preseason, they are working on things, not trying to get a first down by any means possible. This is also the reason Carolina tee'd off on the pass rush, as they know Zorn is throwing 70% fo the time trying to fine tune is pass attack.

Posted by: BillySelf | August 25, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I have a very sinking feeling that the Redskins are going to come up way short again and again when it counts. I have reached the point to doubting Jason Campbell. More later.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | August 25, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Is there anything that can be done about the people who find it necessary to post "FIRST" every stinking time? What are we in JR high school?

Posted by: Skip in Va | August 25, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Continuing from last night,
Players who were successful elsewhere, came to DC, made alot of money but sure didn't produce like before.

James Washington

Did the guy even play a second year?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Jake Scott
S All Pro w/ Miami when we got him, he was all washed up, a shadow of what he had been.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Jeremiah Trotter

MLB Eagles then came here and left us often wandering where is the intimidator who will stop the run for us?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

QB Rob Johnson

Boy, we sure didn't get anything out of Rob Johnson...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse