QBs, Injuries, Schmitt, Favre -- We've Got It All

Jim Zorn said he might rotate his quarterbacks differently Saturday than he did in the preseason opener. Starter Jason Campbell will again open the game with the first team, but rookie Colt Brennan might go in next instead of back-up Todd Collins.

Zorn wants to see Brennan operate in different aspects of the offense, considering that a few weeks from now Brennan will be banished to holding a clipboard for another year as he develops. "We may mix and match here as we go on," Zorn said.

Regardless, Collins and Brennan will be playing a lot again, with the starters out there for three series, tops.

Rock's Ribs

The only new injury today was to running back/special teams star Rock Cartwright, who said some cartilage had pulled away from the bone on his ribcage (ouch, that sounds awful) and is very sore. The problem has lingered all week, but today he couldn't play through it.

Rock is undeterred about trying to play Saturday - "I'll see what it feels like tomorrow and try to give it a go," he said - but the coaches will likely spare him that opportunity and rest him this weekend.

Holy Schmitt!!!

Fullback Pete Schmitt left Redskins Park yesterday after rejoining and practicing with the team this week, saying he was through with football. The Redskins released Schmitt, 23, just before training camp, then re-signed him Monday.

"He just hung it up," Zorn said. "He just stepped aside and said, 'You know what, maybe this is not for me.'"

The Redskins opted to address a void in the secondary and used Schmitt's roster spot to re-sign safety Justin Hamilton, who was released by Washington in May. Cornerback Shawn Springs (Achilles'), safety LaRon Landry (hamstring) and safety Chris Horton (stomach flu) missed practice today, and corner Carlos Rogers is not scheduled to play Saturday coming off major knee surgery. So the team needed a defensive back. Hamilton played at Va Tech and is from Clintwood, VA.

(I confessed my ignorance this morning as to where the heck Clintwood is located, and you guys quickly filled me in. Kevin Hill emailed me to say: "Clintwood is located in Dickenson County. Far SW Virginia bordering Kentucky. (my father's family is from there.) This is the heart of Appalachia. The last 20 years though have been good to the area with much better roads connecting the region to the rest of the world. This is coal country. Justin Hamilton played for the Green Wave and then for Virginia Tech. He was on offense at RB and then receiver before moving to defense his senior year. He is best suited to defense and has steadily improved since making the switch. Will be outstanding for the Redskins." So there you have it. Who needs Wikipedia when I have my peeps to fill me in?)

Playoffs? We're Talking About the Playoffs?

I asked Zorn if he has addressed the expectations for this season with his players, and he said he has not. He recalled Mike Holmgren, his mentor in Seattle, speaking to Seahawks and, after a few years of growth, setting a goal of going deep into the playoffs.

"I don't know that yet," Zorn said of his own brief head-coaching career. "He's been a head coach a lot longer, and I think it's going to take some experience to get a feel for it. My call to myself is to have high expectations, period, even though I might not be able to sense what's that's going to be in my near future."

More, More, More

Rookie safety Kareem Moore continues to earn high marks and could play a substantial role Saturday. He appears to be over the knee problems that hindered him early in camp - Moore is coming off surgery - and is showing well in practice. Zorn praised his body control and the efficiency of his movement, calling him a "tremendous athlete."

Obligatory Favre Item

Brett Favre mania is obviously running rampant in the Big Apple. No. 4 will make his home debut against the Skins next week, which is lucky for those of us driving to Swamp Country a week from today (leave early and often, the Turnpike is a fickle mistress indeed).

Zorn, who is a part of the same West Coast tree as Favre, thinks we may see the Hall of Famer throw a pass or two in that game. "We get to see him next week, pretty exciting stuff," Zorn said. "I don't know how ready he will be if they have a lot of different terminology. I imagine we'll get to face him. It's been a real emotional ride for him."

Former Jet Pete Kendall knows what a madhouse The Hoffalands can be, even without the added bonus of Favre's debut in a night game no less (all the better to prolong the tailgate). "It's pretty serious already," Kendall said of the partying. "But I think it's great for the team and it's great for the fans."

Kendall, by the way, is still rocking the green shoulder pads he brought with him from NY last year. "I just wear whatever they put in my locker.

Corner Shawn Springs said it'll be strange just seeing Favre in a different uniform. "Man, I'm not going to know how to act if I see Brett Favre in a Jets uniform. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's going to look weird man, but I'm quite sure Brett's going to be himself and go out there and have fun."

Randoms

Another week of schlub grub has passed and Zack Bolno has stuffed us to the gills again. For the record, it was Chick-fil-A on Tuesday and today (it by far goes the fastest of anything else in here, with even the big-money TV types diving in). Clinton Portis also swung by to grab a chicky sammy the other day, so the schlub room is quickly becoming the place to see and be seen. McDonald's was served Wednesday and Costco pizza appeared Monday. I'm still holding out hope for Morton's Mondays by the start of the regular season. ... Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan spent some time with players and coaches and executive vice president Vinny Cerrato at the morning practice. The team has an afternoon session, then is off Friday ahead of Saturday's game.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 7, 2008; 2:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn's QB Plan; Strictly Unrestricted
Next: Portis Set to Play Saturday

Comments

first?

Posted by: the wnba | August 7, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

2ND!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

No worse than 5th?

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Love the chunked info separated by Bold titles by the way..

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

----------

Kendall Pet leaves himself wide open for some sadistic prank, and many an obscene joke on RI...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Same old-same old. Looking up at Chia from down below.

Maybe they could let Favre continue to wear his Packer's uniform? It's got to be better looking than those Jets rags, and it will end all this nonsense about "can't picture him in another uniform." Goalies in soccer wear different unis -- why not Favre?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Goalies in soccer wear different unis -- why not Favre?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 2:11 PM

That's just so the referee knows that the hands being put on the ball are not an outfield player t_e. But I say Mulder's right, let him wear the green and yellow!

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Landry still use his LSU pads? I believe I've seen pics of him with them on....

Posted by: Greg | August 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | August 7, 2008; 2:02 PM ET

So, even Lindsay Czarniak's eating Chick-fil-a? You are what you eat.

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

RESPONSE TO GREG

+++jm, the exact quote was this:

"Kelly too has lost three weeks and may end up losing the year"

it was corkzar, whom I swear would delight if it were true that Kelly were lost for the year because he'd then beat his chest, and let EVERYONE know how the Redskins shouldn't have drafted Kelly, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: Greg | August 7, 2008 9:55 AM++++

Blow it out your tailpipe, Greg, you maroon.

Go sit next to Larry Michaels and the rest of the football version "My country Wrong or Righters", who think ANY criticism is Treason.

I can't fathom whether you are just inane, or come with an agenda. You attack me, and what? That builds your ego up? Do you sit there at Redskin Park or your Mom's basement and go---GORSH, I'm tough. AND I'm a GENIUS who can psychoanalyze people from three thousand miles away!

Let me explain, and I will type real slow so you can understand.

ZORN said Kelly could effectively lose the entire year. THAT's where I got my info. He's already missed a week, and he will miss three more weeks of practice that ZORN deems vital to a rookie WR's progress.

See, they come to training camp to learn. They learn by studying, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, by actually practicing the plays.

ZORN said that. I'm just paraphrasing him. If you think you are smarter than Zorn--well I wouldn't be surprised.

But yes, it ticks me off, when TWO receivers show up in what the coach declares is BAD SHAPE, and because of it, loses about a month of practice time, each.

They still cash their checks and perhaps they will learn from the lesson.

But YOU seem to think it's just fine to harm the team by NOT CARING.

So, NOW who's the Redskin hater?

Posted by: Corkczar | August 7, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

----------

I do this every day, as does JLa, as does Cindy.

Par for the course...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Greg, lets get a couple of things clear: I never once said that I like Mason better than Portis or Betts, or he is some how underrated. Do you understand this? And when exactly did I make threats toward you? I never did. By you stating that you're in your late 30's and then acting like a teenager girl when someone post something you don't agree with is very immature. I would expect more from A MAN who has put in more time on this earth than I.

Chris, one word: cute. "Red @ the department of motor vehicles", huh? You're too damn funny, son. Maybe if you and your MAN Greg weren't so damn self-indulging in your own sh*t, read, AND understand what someone is trying to say, maybe some who post here wouldn't have such a negative perception of the two of you. With that said, and for what it's worth, I do not. I've been posting here for almost a year, so I have time in to know otherwise.

In closing to this hot mess, I want to say it's damn good to be back on the blog. You'll have to put up with my sh*t again until February hopefully.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 7, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Isn't rock's injury the same thing that happened to Darrell Green on the famous punt retrun vs da bears in the 87 playoffs? He was able to play the next week and do well. Hopefully Rock can manage through and get a little rest to get healthy...

Posted by: dlhaze | August 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Nifty stealth disco reference, "More More More"

Howdya like it?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright's Rock Cartwright will be healed in no time flat.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah! More, More, More!

Thanks for that Nate.

I like that a whole lot...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Dude Red relax, I was kidding with you, copped to being a cranky 30 year old and asked for xanax!!!!!!

I didn't even pick a fight with you???? And I like kidding on peoples nick names, jeesh backatcha

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar I don't remember reading or hearing Zorn say anything close to Kelly lose the entire year. I remember him saying that he wouldn't have much of an impact at the start of the season due to the time he is missing. You need to post Zorn saying that.

Posted by: jm220 | August 7, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Challenge question:

A red house is made from red bricks, a blue house is made from blue bricks, a pink house is made from pink bricks, and a black house is made from black bricks. What is a greenhouse made from?

A.Wood
B.Green Bricks
C.Moss-covered stones
D.Glass
E.Red Bricks

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN...

++++"He just hung it up," Zen said. "He just stepped aside and said, 'You know what, maybe this is not for me.'"+++

CBS Sports is now reporting that PETE SCHMITT has changed his mind and decided to unretire.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought we'd resolved "Red of the DMV" last year? I forget what the DMV was, but I sure am not about to step in the Department of Motor Vehicles trap.

The DMV was sort of a red herring, right? Like MV Dame isn't a dame and never has been. Didn't it have something to do with the Eastern Shore? Can I ask for enlightenment without getting the Greg/Chris treatment?

Thanks.

Posted by: Motivator | August 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Challenge question:

A.Wood
B.Green Bricks
C.Moss-covered stones
D.Glass
E.Red Bricks

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"go out there and have fun"

So Springs is using the same euphemism the sportscasters use for Favre to explain away his reckless gunslingin'... you gotta think Springs is eager for this secondary to have a few shots at Favre's "fun" shots downfield into traffic.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

AND NOW THIS JUST IN....

Adam Schechter reports that Pete Schmitt, after five minutes of unretirement, has re-retired. Brett Favre was unavailable for comment.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm perfectly calm, Dude.

Posted by: Walter Sobchak | August 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Red,

What part of what you wrote below, shouldn't be perceived as a threat?? You want to make a threat, make it, don't pussy-foot around.

"You shouldn't put out personal information on a public forum (age, sex, birth name, location), someone could use it against you"

Cork, just admit that deep down you want Kelly to miss the year, because it fits your agenda against the FO. You can do it.

"Its fine to harm the team by not caring".

There you go, the sky is falling, you were correct. Neither Kelly nor Thomas care. Good one. But no, you're right, I'm the maroon.....

Posted by: Greg | August 7, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I see "DMV" i think only one nightmarish thing...

Motivator I already said you could you my handle as an emoticon for hyperbolic bombast...what more do you want from me????

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | August 7, 2008; 2:02 PM ET

So which would you pay less for? A Pete Schmitt jersey or an Adam Archuleta jersey?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

You just knew that HOF Tribute week wasn't over...

First they run a PicSix, then Rock does the injury tribute... lmao. If I remember DG was back the next week too...

Go ahead and relegate Colt all you want, but something tells me we'll be seeing him a lot sooner than most imagine. Maybe out of performance, maybe out of necessity. But right now we just have to be happy we have a QB with a bright side behind Soup.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

According to si.com:

Vinny Cerrato offers Pete Schmitt $13.48 marketing deal to stay retired.

Posted by: the wnba | August 7, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Challenge question:

A.Wood
B.Green Bricks
C.Moss-covered stones
D.Glass
E.Red Bricks

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:26 PM

Day Laborers?

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

what more do you want from me????

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 2:32 PM

I'm thinking maybe that hat you wore when you ruled Crowd Noise?

Posted by: Motivator | August 7, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so let me get this straight... everyone was high on collins (make sure you are in a safe place for that) after last year. He has a subpar camp so far but gets good reviews from Zorn after game 1. So now he is not a good candidate to even be number two?

he showed four good if not great games last year and he is supplanted by one good preseason game from a rook?

I dont really follow that logic.

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

What is a greenhouse made from?======

Chia Hair?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 7, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

*******Fantasy Football*****

Redcoat - PLEASE CHANGE THE TIMES!

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I really don't get how their is even a discussion about collins right now. His succes was based completely on al saunders' system, pure and simple. He is the backup this year unless (god forbid) campbell goes down.

Brennan is the number 3, at least until next year. I don't think his sidearm style and those risky passes would fly against first teamers. He seems to have some moxy though.

Posted by: the wnba | August 7, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

What is the date and time 4th? I am at work and not able to check.

Posted by: jm220 | August 7, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

8=====D 0:

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Challenge question:

A.Wood
B.Green Bricks
C.Moss-covered stones
D.Glass
E.Red Bricks

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 7, 2008 2:26 PM

Glass

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins = Assface

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

there goes the dryer alarm...time to finish the laundry

Posted by: housemaid | August 7, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Thx Anon,

Here's another one for ya:

Pete & Rodney Pete are in a boat. Rodney falls out - he got about as much respect as Tom Collins.

...Hey - I'm no more down on Mix (is that what we're calling Collins?) than I was after we fell apart in Seattle. He's a guy who studied a system for 10 some odd years and did ok in it.

The fact that the head coach of a playoff team is already talking position switch to a pure rookie after 1 early pre-season game should tell you how TC is doing.

It's his position to win or loose. Anyone who was high on Mix after his play last season was just that ;)

I mean, as a ThRedskin, I'm thankful for his contributions - but are you telling me you feel comfortable or optimistic with him as your #2? I'm not.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Rock's Ribs sounds like a great eatery to me...

Posted by: Rusty | August 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

One silver lining (a very small one to be sure) with Favre going to the Jets is that New England's cakewalk to the AFC East title just got a little tougher.

Posted by: skinswest | August 7, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Cork, do you have the quote, or the link where zorn said, "Kelly could effectively lose the entire year"??

Posted by: Greg | August 7, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I am not saying I like either... but we have game tape on TC, none on Colt. Colt may be better... but thats a reach at this point.

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I remember seeing it somewhere also about Kelly maybe being behind a year per Zorn...maybe I saw it on csn. Whatever.

The problem is Kelly is down in florida sitting on his arse "recuperating" from surgery, not even with the team in camp. Seems like Zorn would have him at least doing classroom stuff, but i guess they want him immobilized as much as possible.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 7, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Who came up with this idea that Colt has surpassed Collins on the depth chart? From what I understand, they want to see Colt now because he won't be getting any action come the regular season, either as a starter or backup.

Posted by: psps23 | August 7, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Depending on the surgery, you cant fly until a little while, at least I thought that was a rule>?

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry, as far as I concerned that little spat is dead like the skin on the soles of your feet. And the "Red of the...", was in fact cute. I found it sort of funny, like when someone trips, and you giggle to yourself sort of way.

Greg, it's time to LIG, my man. For the last time, I wasn't making threats! Again, you're reading and interpreting in the way that YOU want to. I've made my stance clear regarding that statement and refuse to do it again. Again, I advise you to read and actually try to understand that persons point-of-view, not just assume all the time. And BTW, the only thing that I pussy foot around is a woman's inner thigh, agreed? I hope you do.

I will not for the sake of the meaningful conversation and my own damn sanity, comment on this heap of garbage anymore.

Fin.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 7, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:11 PM

After having knee surgery you can't fly for a certain amount of time because of the swelling. Being cramped like that can cause serious damage.

Posted by: The Miz | August 7, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

*******Fantasy Football*****

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 2:43 PM

4th, I changed the text on the poll, but that deleted the original votes, aaargh!!

I'm getting a small window into the living h*ll that is working with Loseable Type.....

JM, I was syaing do it at 8pm EDT if it's a Friday or any time to suit all of it's a Saturday.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

DC to Maryland come on an raise up!

Posted by: Peety Pabs | August 7, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

8===========D (*)

Posted by: | August 7, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RC. I say just pick a day and time and role with it. It shouldn't take this much energy and time.

Posted by: jm220 | August 7, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Considering the injuries to Wade and Heyer Zorn may not be doing Brennan any favors by putting him in with the second team. Unless Collins is stinking up the place and can’t grasp the offense, no way do I want a rookie as second string QB during the season.

Posted by: skinswest | August 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Red, consider it gone. However in the future say what you mean, and mean what you say. That way, "it could be used against you" doesn't get misconstrued.

Posted by: Greg | August 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

All this arguing.....I think that we can all learn from today's lesson:
People who live in green houses shouldn't throw stones.

Posted by: dlhaze | August 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who seriously believes the DelMarVa region is "the greatest on the face of this planet" must have spent the bulk of their life chained to a basement water heater.... most likely in Dundalk.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 7, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

you forgot to end that statement with HUN mrskin21

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

The Truth can do the draft tomorrow at 8 PM!!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

MIZ;

I thought it was the pressure change. I am sure redksin one isnt cramped

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's set - Draft Friday at 8PM

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I am at the beach tom, so I cant do it. My old parents dont have internet. Is there a auto draft function?

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Useless information that I like to share:

My computer trapped me/itself in the loading zone on RI yesterday for 3 hours! I could chalk it up to the 'upgrade' (I confoozed what upgrade?) but I believe my computer like my car is telling me to eff off.
So I must purchase a new one which means I have to do battle with Windows Vista aka Satan. It's a compatibility issue with work so Mac is out and I think the building would fall down if I went for any open source platform.

blah blah blah - technology is nefarious

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Z, please go to the site and voote if you can. Tomorrow is NOT ANY of the days on offer for the RI FFL draft.

I am on vacation from this evening until next Tuesday so you guys have some time to bicker amongst yourselves about the pitiful choice of dates I've given you... :)

FYI Weeny Cerrato has offered to handle the draft using his "best available playerTM" methodology for any RI FFLers who can't make the real RI FFL draft which will be held somewhere between 8/22 and 8/30.

So you can all look forward to 3x 'pass catchers', '0x road graders' and '0x pass chasers' if you avail yourself of his very kind offer.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Now fubol - um at this point do we have anyone who isn't injured?

I think the Todder may want to dress up in those padded ensembles a guy wears in self-defense classes when the students/women are practicing their moves. That o-line. . .shudder.

I'm a day late and a blog short on this one but Blache's quotes are pricless. I think that all rookies should have the words 'fine' and 'dandy' on their helmets rather than the head decal or nothing.

What do you say/do if you're Chad Pennington?

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The DelMarVa region is dirty, congested, and ugly. The Chesapeake Bay is dying and polluted - the water is dirty brown like Larry Michael's nose.

Posted by: LarryMichaelSucks | August 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

What do you say/do if you're Chad Pennington?

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:37 PM

Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Collins get that $100k 'work out bonus" in his contract?

I think you should have the flip side of the coin as well. If you show up to camp out of shape/failing fitness test then you get docked a big ole chunk of change. In fact for rookies make them do the fitness test a few days early and if they fail then it's conditioning, conditioning, conditioning for 3-4 days.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

What do you say/do if you're Chad Pennington?

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:37 PM

I don't know.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

it's conditioning, conditioning, conditioning for 3-4 days.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:40 PM

What is this? A football blog or one of my salons?

Posted by: Vidal Sassoon | August 7, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Collins get that $100k 'work out bonus" in his contract?

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I presume that presumably Favre is the presumptive starter for the Jets now?

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Same here coat... I did vote already... two days ago. You going to the shore?

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The Truth wonders who would be asinine enough to vote for the draft on the 30th. The Truth will be at Georgia\Georgia Southern and a draft would be DUMB on the first day of college football! OPENING DAY PEOPLE!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

...so you guys have some time to bicker amongst yourselves...

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:34 PM

Us? Up here? Surely you jest, Redcoat.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

it's conditioning, conditioning, conditioning for 3-4 days.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:40 PM

Fact: We only recommend folllowing the "lather, rinse and repeat" process once.

Doing this for 3-4 days seems excessive, although we can ga-ron-tee that the players will have beautifully shiny hair at the end of it.

Posted by: Aussie Hair Products | August 7, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Not to show you up Senor Anon but. . .

The Todd Collins Contract
According to sources, here's the breakdown on the deal TC just signed.

It is indeed 3 years, worth a max of $9 million, with a $3 million signing bonus (but there's a cap-saving quirk as well).

In essence, he'll get $4 million guaranteed - the $3 million signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus due this spring, and his $900,000 salary for 2008 (assuming he does not get hurt in the offseason somehow).

In 2009 he has another $100,000 workout bonus and a base of $1.9 million

In 2010 he has another $100,000 workout bonus and a base of $2.9 miullion (again, base salaries in the NFL are not guaranteed). . .

By Jason La Canfora | February 29, 2008; 4:00 PM ET
Previous: Random Stuff | Next: Salary Cap Update

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

MIZ;

I thought it was the pressure change. I am sure redksin one isnt cramped

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:26 PM

Very true, after i said it i thought about it and realized. Good looks, alot going on a work here today.

Posted by: The Miz | August 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 'The Truth'. I'm going to vote for the 30th right now...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, i care little for college fubball

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I did vote already... two days ago. You going to the shore?

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:43 PM

Sorry Z, my 'fast fingers'* mean that your previous vote is kaput.

No, we're going to Lancaster County, PA. Beach time will be a few days in a couple of weeks.

* utter typing incompetence

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Us? Up here? Surely you jest, Redcoat.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 3:46 PM

Yes, I jest. And don't call me Shirley.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Just lie back, dear, and think of England.

Posted by: Mother Pennington | August 7, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The Truth is ACTUALLY CRYING BECAUSE THE DRAFT MIGHT BE ON THE 30TH!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"DMV is the greatest region on the face of this planet. DC, Maryland, and the great state of Virginia."

I was born in and spent a few years in Falls Church and I remember it fondly. While I've grown fond of the ATL, nothing beats being in DMV if you're a Redskins fan!

Trust me, there is no worse spectacle than watching balding, middle aged fat rednecks doing a throwback dirty bird dance when the Falcons somehow manage to score!

Posted by: GA_Skinz_Fan | August 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What could you possible being doing in lancaster for 4 days????? smelling cow poo":?

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:52 PM

Possibly. You'll just have to wait to find out I guess.

Thank Thee.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

ooohh, new emoticon.... the Jay Leno

":^?

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

ah, looked better on my screen before the post. Oh well... have fun blogging tomorrow. I will be slyly drink jack and cokes on the beach obliterating many a brain cell whil the kid spends endless hours digging in the sand.

the beach is so relaxing!

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Portis will play on Saturday

Redskins 360 (View Blog)
POSTED August 07 2008 2:08 PM BY David Elfin

Few, if any, NFL players dislike preseaason more than Clinton Portis. But coach Jim Zorn said that CP will play, at least a few snaps, in Saturday's preseason home opener against Buffalo.

This will be Portis' first preseason appearance in four days shy of two years. That was the 2006 preseason opener in Cincinnati. Newly-acquired receiver Brandon Lloyd ran the wrong route (surprise). Mark Brunell threw the ball to the right spot. Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratcliff picked off the ball and took off before Portis finally chased him down. For his hustle, Portis partially separated a shoulder, missed the rest of preseason and wasn't himself when he returned in September. He was sidelined for all of the 2007 preseason with a sprained knee.

-- David Elfin

Posted by: Elfin to da Post | August 7, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ChRis LaRrY for noticing the breaker heads....

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Patty to Bart: Some days, we don't let the line move at all.
Selma: We call those ... weekdays.
Patty & Selma: heh heh heh heh (cough)

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2008 3:52 PM

Building a barn.
Shtuping Kelly McGillis in said barn.

Posted by: Harrison Ford | August 7, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank Thee.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 3:53 PM

Redcoat! You're converting! You're going from Orthodox Druid to Quaker/Mennonite/Amish? Is this part of your quest for US Citizenship? You'll look good in your horse-drawn buggy. And, you'll never have to pay an electric bill again.

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ChRis LaRrY for noticing the breaker heads....

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 4:01 PM

me too me too! i too noticed breaker heads...what a wonderful concept. it's just fabulous!

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Todd Collins Contract ...
... 3 years, worth a max ... of $ million, ... with a $ million signing bonus ... guaranteed - ... workout bonus ... salary for 2008 ... 2009 ... workout bonus and a base of ... 2010 ... workout bonus and a base of $... not guaranteed). . .

By Jason La Canfora | February 29, 2008; 4:00 PM ET
Previous: Random Stuff | Next: Salary Cap Update

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 3:47 PM

It was my understanding that there would be no math.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Actually t_e I'm thinking of spending a week at a Taco Bell and converting natural gas.

Ba-dum-ching!

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Cindrew, I agree on the breaker heads ... anything fabulous with chRIs Larry and dealer is fabulous with me.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

You're going from Orthodox Druid to ...

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 4:07 PM

My ex-wife became a Wiccan after we divorced, she shacked up with some guy who is a "Shaman". I am an appropriately dour/dull Presbyterian/Episcopalian and will die such.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I am an appropriately dour/dull Presbyterian/Episcopalian and will die such.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 4:12 PM

LOL - "Church of England. Cake or death?"

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

My ex-wife became a Wiccan after we divorced, she shacked up with some guy who is a "Shaman". I am an appropriately dour/dull Presbyterian/Episcopalian and will die such [and sooner than expected in some freak accident involving bees, a well, and an angry goat].

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 4:12 PM

The bracketed text at the end follows from the sum of the first two sentences.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Chad P. should start practicing these phrases:

"Would you like a double shot of espresso?"

"Would you like a free booster shot?"

"Thank you for calling Domino's Pizza. This is Chad. How may I help you?"

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | August 7, 2008 4:12 PM

Could this be The Truth?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The bracketed text at the end follows from the sum of the first two sentences.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 4:16 PM

Only pre-season and dcsween is in mid-season form. The guy comes out fast. How long can he sustain this pace?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

To me, DMV means only one thing -- Patty and Selma (OK, that's two things, but its the same voice). Patty to Bart: Some days, we don't let the line move at all. Selma: We call those ... weekdays.
Patty & Selma: heh heh heh heh (cough) Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 4:02 PM

sween, OMG! you and me baby. i was thinking the same thing. dude, please take DMV out of your handle. unless you'd like to provide the expanded version.

btw, cL, greg, i'm not dmv. i don't post under any other name than this one and *cough* *cough*...that other one that we don't want to mention again...

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

* Fantasy fubbal post *

Redcoat, weren't there two polls before?

I voted for August 30 and would vote for it again if I could. Yes, just to spite you-know-who. That's right. Uh huh.

* End fantasy fubbal post *

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

1) The Truth IS in fact a Shaman.

2) The Truth will cast a spell.

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"We get to see him (Favre) next week, pretty exciting stuff," Zorn said.

Ummm, Coach Zorn, didn't you see Favre in your last game last year? Haven't you seen him about 20 times already in your career? I mean seriously, how could seeing Brett Favre for 1 series in prseason be 'exciting'?

Unless you sack him 3 straight times, that is :)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

...that other one that we don't want to mention again...

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:24 PM

Hemmy/Hammy suffererer?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

sween, quick! we have to do something manly now. i just scrolled up and read that you agreed with me and then below i agreed with you. yuck!!! ewe!!!!! (not that there's anything wrong with that...if someone else does it...but not me)...*sticking my head out my cab and holla at a woman wearing white shirt and khaki skirt* what's up sugar maama wanna ride on my camel?

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

red, any spot left for me?

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

So, even Lindsay Czarniak's eating Chick-fil-a? You are what you eat.

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 2:14 PM

Giggety, giggety. Alllright!

Posted by: Glen Quagmire | August 7, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, you bring back such disturbing memories. Because, no matter what you say, my ex is a crazier witch than your ex.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The Truth and Chris Larry need to rent a room and spend an evening having hot man-love with each other

Posted by: | August 7, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

4-12, DUDE! that was NOT me. jesus! :) seriously it wasn't me. i would so confess to it if it was. i promise you. i have no shame...in admitting the hammy hemmie incident.

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

2) The Truth will cast a spell.

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 4:28 PM

If your spell is any damn good, then the draft won't be on the first day of college football season. So, let's see you do your thing. Are you also popping it to Redcoat's ex wife? And, if so, what's she told you about him?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The Truth wants to know what kind of loser wants to spend THE OPENING DAY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL doing a stupid internet fantasy draft!?!

JAY-ZUZ!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

littery genius?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

TT, i think you sorta kinda answered your own question there. the same loser who is in a "stupid internet fantasy draft!"

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

aahhh shti nate! i totally forgot about LG. dang it...no, i was thinking about chamique...

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Chanique?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Unless you sack him 3 straight times, that is :)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 4:29 PM

Consider two quarterbacks: Brett Favre and Chad Pennington. If you were planning on seeing Chad, then it's got to be exciting instead to see Brett. Unless, of course, you could see the ghost of Johnny Unitas.

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!! how we gonna meet the ultimatum if we get this:

Redskins Insider
Comment Submission Error
Your comment submission failed for the following reasons:

Too many comments have been submitted from you in a short period of time. Please try again in a short while.
Return to the original entry.

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

am i the first one to get that error?

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

4-12, get my name right or else!

Posted by: chamique | August 7, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Oops.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

dealer,

Try getting a friend to submit your comment for you. You have a friend, right? It not, try signing in under a different name. Anonymous always works for me.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

We've been beeped

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

ooooh - are we doing alt/religion? FUN!

Ok, I'm baptized Presb. - grew up Congregational (Rabbi's welcome!) and was born again in '88.

While I consider myself born again, many question my claim. Basically, my studies took me to a point where I began to regard god as having something to do with language and the separation of the concious mind from empirical reality. Not much of a Bible Thumper here except to say - "Love Everybody". I think Jesus said that. Good advice.

Got some friends who married wiccan. I've been in a street fight with a Santero. I've had my life saved by the same religion, though (long crazy story there...)

I've sung a diminutive yet Armstrongesque "Saints go marchin'" to my 2nd grade German elementary school Catholic class when I was mistakenly placed there.

Love me some comparative regligion! Bill Moyers/Joseph Campbell anyone?

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay one and all. I WAS THE HEMMY/HAMMY POSTER. It wasn't sween or Nate or chrIS LArry or, whoever it is that talks often of his physical prowess, or Chamique or dik or 4-12 or dealer or.... It was I.

Posted by: Mr. Chili | August 7, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

And, BTW, that had to go down as one of the all time great posts. Nobody has forgotten that one. Nate said, "Has the blog peaked?" Ahhh, I'm a literary genius! Or is that jittery lenius?

Posted by: Mr. Chili | August 7, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

My name is Kolya. I'm cool boyuufezq http://clip.sslpowered.com/index.html >cliphunter [url=http://clip.sslpowered.com/index.html]cliphunter[/url]

Posted by: feda | August 11, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice site!blsbnk http://clip.sslpowered.com/index.html >cliphunter [url=http://clip.sslpowered.com/index.html]cliphunter[/url]

Posted by: robin | August 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse