Portis a Surprise Participant on Day 1 of Workouts

Although Coach Jim Zorn had said he did not expect running back Clinton Portis to attend the first day of the Redskins' offseason conditioning program today at Redskins Park, Portis showed up at the complex and did work out, according to a team official.

"I fully expect him to be here participating at some point," Zorn had said Friday. " ... He's just trying to work out his schedule. He's been working out his schedule."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 16, 2009; 2:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jay Cutler a Redskin?
Next: Montgomery Expects to Sign Wednesday

Comments

Portis there on the FIRST day of workouts...nice.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

HaHa!

Sup JM220? Yo, I'm back in the workforce baby. Only took me 6 weeks to do it.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Portis doesn't like DC Media and because of that, plays with their head alot.

That being said, dude is a beast and how you can question his work ethics year after year. Workhorse indeed.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Lets tackle hobbies, what you do when you're not following the WRedskins??

Nate, you take the lead on this

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Workout clause anyone?

Posted by: Devo2 | March 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Clinton being Clinton?

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Question is whether he actually worked out or whether he dressed like a tranny and did some interviews.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

congratz 4th. You inspiring Portis, then?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 16, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

lmao pfunk.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 16, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

beep
ditto

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the "Clinton Portis most definitely does not suck, and I don't really give a damn what he does in the offseason, though I am happy he's attending today's workouts" camp.

Greg, as far as offseason fun, I'm going to see your Red Sawx when they visit the Mariners in May. That's something you can probably appreciate. And catching some local AAA action, those Portland Beavers. And catching some Caps playoff games at a local sports bar. And seeing some live music. And losing badly in each of the tourney pools I enter. The usual stuff.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2,

You are missing the point. See my post about developing a QB in the SAME offense for 3 consecutive years.

Ripping off one-season stats and comparing them in a vacuum is dumb, and is no way to evaluate a QBs comparative development.

Same can be said for Cassel, who, although had been a career backup, spent several years with Pats with the same handful of coaches learning the same offense.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I guess to an extent I agree, but to at some point doesn't it become tiresome to keep making excuses for, he's been in the league for 4 years now, Chad Pennington switched systems in training camp and went to the playoffs, Flacco, Ryan, and if you go to previous years the list goes on and on and on of guys who go into new systems and have immediate success,, do they also improve over time by staying in the same system? Sure, but they still have success right away. JC was a 3 year vet, now 4 year vet, at some point we have to quit making excuses, its the system, its the receivers, its the oline, its blah blah blah and say you know what, he's OK and the best option we have on our roster at this point, but he's not THAT good either.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Workout clause anyone?

Posted by: Devo2 | March 16, 2009 2:49 PM

I think all big name players have work out clauses now (NOrm in Redskins PArk at least).

But, some still don't go. As Cooley said his blog, he missed his mark on getting $100K because he didn't make it to enough days. Though he did get married and traveled because of that.

But, who cares? He's there working out. He's gonna get paid irregardless of the fact he has a workout clause or not. So why not pay him not to be out of shape and waste the money you already have to pay him?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, thank-you Clinton Portis for showing up to work on time. I hope Zorn called your house and ripped you a new one for even thinking about skipping workouts. This is encouraging.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

nice report 20 mins after PFT

Posted by: Jazzconcert | March 16, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Forget Portis working out..What about them rookies?? DAVIS, THOMAS, KELLY, KELLY, KELLY..I'm sorry did I say KELLY again...We need those guys to step up this year!!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | March 16, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse