Portis and the Curse of 370

Doug Farrar of Football Outsiders has an interesting piece today in The League on the curse of 370 carries for a running back.

Farrar writes:

On 27 different occasions in NFL history, a running back has carried the ball 370 or more times in the regular season. You can sort those backs into three groups: backs that got hurt and were never the same, backs whose productivity just fell off, and Eric Dickerson.

And concludes:

Jim Zorn was Seattle's quarterbacks coach when Shaun Alexander went over that wall and never came back. If Alexander does nothing more in Washington than serve as a reminder of the price paid by the running back as workhorse, he'll be worth whatever the Redskins paid for his services: He could save Clinton Portis' career by his example.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 21, 2008; 2:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How's that Offensive Line Looking Now?
Next: Horton Studied Film at UCLA -- and Still Does So

Comments

This is the FIRST time I've heard of this curse.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

While still nervous about JJ in protection, gotta give credit where credit is due, these guys are balling, we're smacking people in the mouth and they've got no answer. Even with concerns about JJ, portis can help him in pass protection and what you gain with JJ in the running game makes it worth the risk. As to the conversation about a draft need, corner is a need, but not a first round need, even if Springs leaves. Rogers is the number 1 corner on this team and he and Smoot provide us with a quality starting duo, if anything, we should sign some veteran depth, not starters, but depth. I think linebacker or defensive end is where we need to use are #1 this year. Truthfully, looking at this team and the picks they made last year, almost of this offseason/draft needs to be used on the defense, with the exception of finding some depth on the oline. If Jansen can transition to guard and replace Kendall, Heyer slides in at RT and our Oline keeps trucking, just need some help behind them, but we are going to lose a lot on the D. Springs, Washington, and Griffen are all probably gone. Horton was such a huge find that it saves us from having to look at safeties, we need help at LB and Dline though and need some depth at corner.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

This is completely true. I cant open the list but i imagine Larry Johson to be on it possibly Jamal Lewis. You run these guys to much and there never the same, need to be careful with Portis although i do believe he has established himself as a perennial workhorse and a lot of the backs this happens to they have one major carry year and cant produce after, portis has been near tops in the league in touches for a while now.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I just got corkczared by two threads in a row!

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Seems like an obvious stat to me. Obviously if the RB is the team's workhorse and is getting pounded for 16 weeks plus the playoffs, then of course he's prone to injury or not being the same back. But that certainly doesn't mean that it WILL happen. All these crazy stats do is give us fodder for discussion, nothing more, nothing less.

Reminds me of the preseason prognostications. All those folks were really on the mark this year, weren't they?!

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice Debbie Downer post LaCanfora.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | October 21, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone would have to concede that Portis is looking absolutely Dickersonian this season!

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice Debbie Downer post LaCanfora.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | October 21, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

what # is CP at?

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 21, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Man Law Ruling - You will stand if the person in front of you is standing - that's why the call them STANDS!!! The inverse (converse?!?) shall also apply. No blocking the view on your own accord. Exceptions to the rule: lap spillage, fighting (viewing or participating), cleavage.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The poor performance of the first-team offense in the last two games of the preseason prompted league observers and Redskins fans to question whether the line could pass protect or run block well enough to help Washington be productive on offense.

Reid forgot to include JLC in that post.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 21, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Curses and records were made to broken

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 21, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Portis will be fine. The work he put in this offseason is coming to fruition. If he sticks to the off-season plan, he'll be fine. He will miss Betts, however. Betts is the key to his longevity. Whenever CP needs a good breather, Betts steps right in and keeps pounding 'em. He even goes for a few series and there's rarely a drop-off. Not sure that Rock and Shaun are capable of providing that, however.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Good to see someone doing some research. Now, finish the job. Look at running backs with fewer carries -- say 340-370. What happens to them? And explain, why 370 -- not 360 or 380.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree with this more. Portis needs his carries cut WAY back. Give Rock/Shaun more chances, and when Betts gets back, give him WAY more carries. December is gonna roll around, and CP is gonna be ground into dust..he'll have nothing left...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

That's not a La Canfora post.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 21, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Dickensian? Is that the "Tale of Two Cities" Dickens or "The Christmas Carol" Dickens?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Stats are like @$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink!

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Can we make a man law on the number of times you are allowed to get up and leave your seat? This event directly disrupts everybody else in your row and indirectly effecting everyone behind you.

Edge: infinite
Middle (more than 4 seats from the edge): allowed once per game or after points have been scored/end of a quarter

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

That's not a La Canfora post.

Posted by: CindyBoren

We are just so use to him being negative.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected then. Nice Debbie Downer post Boren.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | October 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

+++I had to encourage fans to stand and cheer at the end of the Browns game! They were sitting there like lumps of coal!! I got up and starting waving my arms (sort of like Campbell on the scoreboard...lol) to get up and make noise. Pathetic. Stay home if you're going to sit on your hands all game.

Posted by: redpitbull98+++

When I went to games at RFK there were two types of idiots. One type was the fool who walked up and down the aisles to get a beer or take a leak, and blocked the view of people in seats. We'd scream at them, and some got thee message--but we missed a lot of plays.

A REAL FAN learned to move during timesout or between plays, and duck or sit during plays. After TDs I could sprint to the bathroom, take a leak and only miss the Extra point.

The OTHER moron was the guy who jumped up DURING an exciting play, blocking the view of those behind him who aren't inconsiderate enough to block the view of those behind THEM.

Now there's a third category of moron. Guys who decide they set the rules on when and who stands, and the heck with anyone else. "You dont' like my inconsiderateness, YOU stay home" they say. They justify it in their own mind, thinking themselves the TRUE Fan.

It's really just another version of the guy going 55 in the far left lane because "speeding is wrong" or the neighbor who lets his dog bark all night "for protection."

ME first and ME always. the rest of you can stay home swerve around, or buy ear plugs.

Yeah, sure, there's times when fans rise as one and cheer--but it's the (often drunken) jerk who cares only about himself or wants everyone to see him stand and cheer who make the game going experience a pain in the butt. They rank right up there with the geniuses who bring "D' "fence" signs to the game and wave them in front of people behind them.

You can cheer just as loud sitting down. I'm pretty sure players dont' think--oh great, I'll REALy try hard now because the fans are STANDING and cheering.

End of Curmudgeonly rant. Gotta go chase some kids off my lawn and hike up my pants to under my armpits.

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Interesting point about the 370 carries. I hoping the skins start blowing people out so that they can take CP out as soon as appropriate. I noticed a few touched on the draft already. At this point, I think early needs are LB,DT,and LT.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2008 2:46 PM

The Owner who sells me tickets calls them "seats."

There were offsetting Man Law violations in the scenario originally described. The couple wrapped up in a blanket with hot cocoa pretty much offset any penalty due to ill-timed standing. Also, it is possible to make-some-noise-make-noise without standing. Crowd standing for defense is really only obligatory when the opposing center's hands touch the ball.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

redpitbull98 - wrong, saying is "opinions are like ....

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 21, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Can we send this article to Jim Zorn? I hope we can build a big lead this Sunday and be able to limit Portis's carries. I figure if we give him 20 carries that should be good enough for 150 yards and 2 Tds against the Lions pathetic Defense.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 21, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | October 21, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

cork, I normally find you annoying, and still do, but that part about the kids on your lawn and hiking up your pants was pretty funny....nicely done...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

84% of all stats are made up on the spot.

This is truly frightening.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Corky,

I agree with everything you said but if it's the end of the game and the team has a goal line stand or the opposing team is attempting a game winning FG, it IS ok to stand up and cheer. No need for the discertation on the appropriate fan attendance conduct.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | October 21, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - but if the person in front of me is standing, you don't get to tell me to sit down - you can tell HIM to sit down, but why bother...

Hence my mention of the reverse (converse, invers... SOME kinda verse...) You shouldn't stand on your own... it's gotta be a group thing.

If you've been to a hockey game, the rules become pretty evident. Imagine that - hockey teaching etiquitte (s to tha SJKing p?!)

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

+++Nice Debbie Downer post LaCanfora.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk+++

RIGGO is drunk? You just used a dated SNL reference to criticize the wrong person.

People who use SNL references are Haders.

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

54% of all stats are made up on the spot.

Emmit Smith did it and was none worse for the wear. Indeed Emmit would probably call it a “rites of patches” a phrase he coined last night. Then the Broncos got "blowed out"

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

... Whenever CP needs a good breather, Betts steps right in and keeps pounding 'em. He even goes for a few series and there's rarely a drop-off. Not sure that Rock and Shaun are capable of providing that, however.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:49 P

from the Monday Morning H-Back Thread ...

2. Kudos to Zorn not only for sticking with the plan, but for finding the way to keep Portis fresh ... the spell rotations with Cartwright and Alexander seemed well timed because when Portis came back in, he came in fresh and tore up the field.

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 10:07 AM

redpitbull, I think there is a definite difference to Portis-Betts under Gibbs 2.0 versus under Jimzorn infinity. Portis used to decide when he need to spell himself. Now, Jimzorn is already thinking about keeping him fresh.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey NfeKo, you're kidding?! Stats are no different than opinions...they can be skewered to fit whatever you want them to...just like an opinion. But thanks for the enlightenment.

Oh, and no man laws by people that are 'corkczars'...sounds like a WINE (or is that WHINE?) and cheese fan that should be attending Sixty Niner games in SF.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

+++This is the FIRST time I've heard of this curse.
Posted by: talent_evaluator+++

They say you never forget the first time. Was it good for you?

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I take exception to the notion that you can be just as loud sitting as you can standing. A good roar comes when the belly is used to kick off the yelling/screaming. you cant get the same stomach extention while sitting.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 21, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I just thought you guys would be interested in the idea. Not sure I buy it.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 21, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope they rest, Taylor, Washington, and Griffen, and as soon as we get up by three scores, we take CP's helmet away and only give it back if it gets back to a two score game. This should be the game that we get up early, let Santanna and CP rest while Shaun gets reacquainted with the NFL and our rookie retards get acquainted with the NFL. Let them play the whole second half and only if for some reason it ever gets less than a three score game. That's not overlooking or taking Detroit lightly, they are that bad, this is great though, because it gives us a chance to execute, get a rhythm back in our passing game and then rest some guys that need it. Pitt is gonna be a dogfight, and we need our best dogs healthy.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I like standing at appropriate times during the game. Like key plays when the defense is on hte field. I hate whiny ass people wrapped up in a blanket drinking cocoa telling me to sit down. I generally hate anybody who starts whining about people standing. I owuld have jsut told the guy to "stand up!". If you want to sit down the whole game and have a perfect view of the game, stay home and watch it on tv.

Unless its on CBS.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Re: standing

We sit in the last row, so I'm kind of biased. I stand when I wants.

However, I wish more people would stand up and make noise (and not "Let's go Redskins" while we're on offense!!!). I agree that we're all at the game for different reasons, but aren't most of us there because we love our team? Why can't we show it and support them loudly and not just when the playclock starts. Ideally, I wouldn't want the other team to be able to hear the plays. But that is just me and my opinion...there are 90,000 (if you believe the press reports) other ones.

It feels like I'm in the minority out there on this one, but I hope I'm not.

Also, seems like if you want to sit, you should get seats in the front...if everyone who wanted to stand was in the back, we'd all be happy. But that's not realistic.

Posted by: moo21 | October 21, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Sween, CP isn't requesting his own removal anymore and JZ appears to be much more conscience of his carries and giving him time to rest. I had a fan behind me that kept asking if CP was injured because Betts was on the field so often. And CP isn't crashing into 8 and 9 man fronts anymore either. He's getting downhill and taking it to safeties and corners now. That also makes a difference.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

They say you never forget the first time. Was it good for you?

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2008 3:09 PM

Somebody was standing up in front of me. Oh wait! That was me!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

+++On another note any new news on Malcolm Kelly? Is he going to be active this week? Is he fully healthy or are we going to place him on IR?
Posted by: Skins28+++

WR notes form all over…

Turns out it wasn’t swollen man parts that put Kellen Winslow in the hospital—as rumored--but a Staph infection. So says his coach. Those are scary deals.

I think Kelly should have his kneecaps rotated. Couldn’t hurt.

I’ve predicted a breakout game EVERY WEEK for Thomas. I predict he’s shut down entirely against Detroit. (Reverse psychologist, who me? Well, maybe if ther as a chance in Hades he read this stuff.)

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Emmit would also recently many runners careers have been debacled by being the workhorse back. I would love to see CP in the no more than 25 touches a game with 5 of those being catches on designed swings and screens, those plays get him in space and most of the time mean he gets hit by a corner or safety instead of a Dlineman or linebacker.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Kinda reitterating what sween said about a left tackle, if we draft Sen'Derrick Marks then we either traded up or something went horribly wron during the regular season, that guy will betop 10 for sure.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I just thought you guys would be interested in the idea. Not sure I buy it.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 21, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

No, nice pull Cyn. I like this kinda stuff.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Thomas is getting open but he hasn't developed a trust and chemistry with JC yet. That hurt Moss too when JC first started. It takes time to build that chemistry and right now JC has it with Moss, El and Cooley.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need a few blow out wins so they can hand the ball to the other backs to close out the games.

It would be retarded to sit Portis with the game on the line. And every game has been close so far this season.

Hopefully the game will be wrapped up in the early 4th quarter this week, so that Portis can be rested.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Redpit, listening to the game on Sunday, they kept saying over and over how Thomas was open, but he never got the ball.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Why do I get the feeling the Lions will come out like they're in the Colosseum? This game scares me as much as the last two. Don't count on any blowout or resting players. This is not a blowout kind of team right now. Expect another close game that will go down to the wire.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | October 21, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I stand at Skins games, I stand at concerts - that's just the way it is. If everyone behind me is sitting at the game, I will sit to be nice, unless it's third down - I gotta stand to make noise. (Concerts on the other hand, if you are behind me, too bad, I didn't pay $60 NOT to dance my a$$ off.)

That said, I was shocked when someone thanked me for pausing on the steps until the play was over to trek back up to my seats - just thought it was obvious that you waited for a break in the play (and this was WAY before my first Caps game where they have someone policing when you can go back down to your seats.)

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 21, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I think that they should take all of the seats out of the stadium that way you dont have any confusion.

Even the toilets

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 21, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The only reason it wouldn't be a blow out, is if the Redskins turn the ball over or come into the game unfocused like they did against the Rams.

Since they lost to the Rams, I think they learned their lesson. One would hope anyway.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

... Expect another close game that will go down to the wire.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:29 PM

I'm OK with close, but I just hope there are more points scored (and that the passing game comes to life again).

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

How about this little tid bit?

The Bengals on Tuesday made the following roster moves:

Crummey

* Signed guard Andrew Crummey from the Washington Redskins practice squad. Crummey (6-5, 301; Maryland) is a rookie, signed by Washington last May 7 as a college free agent. He played in all four Redskins preseason games, was waived on Aug. 30, and was signed Sept. 1 to the Redskins practice squad. Crummey will wear uniform No. 60.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 21, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree Beantown (sorry bout your Sawx). I was at the game and I have not seen the recording (DVR) as yet and he was definitely open. JC does not appear to have him lined up in his progressions. It's possible that when the plays are called for him, he's not open and on the plays that aren't called for him, he is, and JC is not looking his way.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Curses and records were made to broken

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 21, 2008 2:48 PM

Sounds like Eric Dickerson already broke the curse.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Not standing at a football game, f-off to anyone that says that. I sit when its no action but i try to stand as much during a game as possible, cause its a football game, i also stand during westminster but ya know. The wine and cheese crowd dosent know what to do at a game and needs to be lead by example so I try to set that. If you have a voice on monday you did not do your part.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

This offseason to get back at the Bengals the Redskins should sign Stacey Andrews....jerks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Me too Sween! I recall a good whipping they put on the Lioncubs at FedEx. I believe it was the largest margin of victory that season. It's possible they blow up this week but my cynical side is afraid to even use the word 'blowout' when discussing the Skins. But this could be the week they put it together for all 4 qtrs.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

" I think there is a definite difference to Portis-Betts under Gibbs 2.0 versus under Jimzorn infinity."

Zorn's next career move - Infiniti Dealership owner?

Posted by: tafka | October 21, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should be able to run all over Detroit -- they are dead last in run defense. It won't be a blow out, but I'd be surprised if the Lions put up much of a fight against the Skins defense.

Posted by: siris | October 21, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I was thinking earlier that we have Rinehart in the fold and Crummey getting ready, then this.

F the bungles!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Or Infiti commercials ala EJ and BB...but let's hope he's a better actor! Then again, the Eastern's guy may have some kind of lock on the Skins peddling cars in ads.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I understand the cause for concern, but correlation doesn't always imply causation. Take all the premier backs in the league, forget total carrier, you can still likely sort them into the same 3 groups: backs that got hurt and were never the same, backs whose productivity just fell off, and Eric Dickerson.

Posted by: Josh7 | October 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins draft needs for next year should include depth at SLB, RG, pocket collapsing DT, DE, WLB, 3rd QB, and possibly C. The secondary is in good shape -- although the Skins may require backups at S and CB (depending on the status of Doughty/Green and Westbrook/Springs/Tyron). They also should address punt return protection."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think Corner will be a primary need. I doubt Springs will be here after this season. His salary will prevent that from happening.

IMO, outside of corner... they should attempt to do the same thing they did last year with trade downs and put the majority of the picks into both lines. Hell, do it for the next few years and rotate the focus each year.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Im thinkin we get a saftey this weekend. We were pretty close last weekend, but they have a special QB, short bus special for those that havent seen him.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

nice work cindy!!!!!!!! love it.

but no fear...this is a bye week. portis only get 10 carries at the most...so we'll bring that carries per game average down a bit...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah, then Suzanne you are going to have fun with concerts here in Houston - even the Stones had most people sitting down after the opening number - Sporting events are a little different though...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Jim Zorn doing a commercial for Eastern Motors - and have him sing the song too.

Posted by: tafka | October 21, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Ah, then Suzanne you are going to have fun with concerts here in Houston - even the Stones had most people sitting down after the opening number"

That's because the Stones' only appeal now is to the nursing home crowd.

Posted by: tafka | October 21, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

And here's the latest line on the grudge match of the century:

Detroit Lions @ Citadel (-13)

Posted by: tafka | October 21, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Have already experienced it at the Woodlands the last three years for Dave Matthews. I sit in the special section for people that are fan club members, and they are still super lame. Each year I keep thinking that the next year will be better - it's not.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 21, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's next career move - Infiniti Dealership owner? Posted by: tafka | October 21, 2008 3:45 PM

speaking of car dealerships...guess WHO was hawking bmw of sterling on tv with doc walker the other day? you may know him as the new host of all (worthless) skins access radio show and ohh general manager by night of our beloved team, vinny!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 21, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

[Insert picture of Vincent Ceratto]

Would YOU buy a car from THIS MAN???

Posted by: tafka | October 21, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

So the trend seems to be that production fall off the years after the peak of a running backs career. What a shock!

Posted by: MonkMossMann | October 21, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine who hails from Houston Texas told me that Eric Dickerson's nick name was "d*ckhead." Anyone else heard of that before? I thought it was pretty funny.

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Touche, Tafka, but this was 10 years ago...

Thanks Suzanne for confirming to me that I am not crazy, too...

Carry on

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

corky, you are funny about chasing kids and hiking up your drawers but you are wrong about fan conduct.

If you pay the prices to see the Skins then you are entitled to stand and cheer and clap and yell and scream all you want. I would say watch the language around children and take it easy on visiting fans unless they are being obnoxious. Keep in mind there are those of us who travel to see our Skins in other cities and appreciate the courtesy when we are visiting.

Posted by: Hail2theChief | October 21, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Griffin is spelled G-R-I-F-F-I-N.
That's key.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | October 21, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Unless our other drafted safety is developing where he can fill in as a cobra safety, I say that's one area of need, in addition to OL/DL. We don't need a third QB. We got cult of Colt and cult of Collins. Our WR need to develop, as does Davis. Since we don't have a C on the roster aside from the guy starting (brainfart), that's another area of need. CB also if springs can't stay or the younger ones keep on screwing up mightily.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 21, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

ESPN ISSUED INTERNAL “DO NOT REPORT” WARNING ON FAVRE STORY
Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2008, 3:05 p.m.
When we asked for PFT Planet to chime in regarding the possible reasons for ESPN’s decision to avoid the story of Brett Favre’s coaching internship with the Lions, we never expected to hear from someone at ESPN.
But we did.
A source, who for reasons likely related to making the monthly mortgage payment has asked not to be identified, has forwarded to us a version of ESPN’s internal “Hot List,” which provides a detailed rundown of the current stories that might merit mention on the various ESPN properties.
It’s a lengthy collection of news and nuggets regarding all of the major sports (and golf). At the bottom, there’s a description of one specific story that should be avoided.
Under the heading “DO NOT REPORT . . . DO NOT REPORT . . . . DO NOT REPORT . . . DO NOT REPORT” (um, we get the point) appears the following:
“Yesterday, FoxSports reported that Brett Favre spent 60 to 90 minutes before the Week Two game between the Lions and the Packers educating the Detroit coaching staff regarding the Packers’ offensive strategies. WE HAVE BEEN TOLD BY RELIABLE SOURCES THIS REPORT IS NOT TRUE. We did NOT report it yesterday. Today, the NFL responded to the report, saying even if Favre did this he did not break any league rules. We are NOT reporting it today, because that would mean airing the erroneous report. DO NOT REPORT IT.”

--------------------------------------

Looks like the using caps as a point of emphasis instead of yelling. Definition #2........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

You've gotta say the 'Skins offense is playing too conservatively. JC having no int's and Portis getting record carries are all well and good, but the bottom line is that JC needs to stretch out the defense, rack up some points in the air so that we can spell Clinton a bit more, before he gets too banged up for the playoffs we'll be hosting with homefield advantage, on the way to winning the Super Bowl.. As for Dickerson, he had a run-standing-up elusive-like-a-deer style that you don't see anymore, he looked cool standing straight up with little leaning or diving forward. But the 'Skins had his goggled a** for lunch more times than not, especially in the playoffs..

Posted by: frak | October 21, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

4th Caps are lame. It's just true, call it yelling emphasis whatever. It's pugnacious and obnoxious.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

... Since we don't have a C on the roster aside from the guy starting (brainfart), that's another area of need. ...

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 21, 2008 4:24 PM

Rabach ... and although I don't know what position just-became-a-Bengal Andrew Crummey played at Maryland, I figured out that the Bengals just put a center on injured reserve, so presumably Crummey is in there for him.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

LT crossed this bridge in '02 during his 2nd season. The number of carries must be dependent upon the point of time in the particular player's career.

Posted by: JinxMan | October 21, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Gweez (just wasting time until I leave out) - I think it is fine as long as you use it sparringly. I just happened to come accross this item that was relevant to what we were talking about earlier. That reminds me, where is BOOFER????

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I knew it began with an R, but my brain went to Rhinehart and Riggens, both obviously quite wrong. Now that Crummey is gone, we do need to draft a C to develop.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 21, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Lol, i miss boofer.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I almost miss sports_guru. Almost being the key word.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 21, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I think that Kendall has played some center during his career, and possibly Geisinger??? The team seems to be somewhat thin at the C position. If you do move Kendall, then you have to back fill his spot, which means 2 people playing out of position.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The intergooglewebtubenets say that Crummey only ever played (right) guard at Maryland. My guess would be that they bring back Kerry Brown, who played (left) guard at Appalachian State and was cut in the cut down to 53.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think Kendall only had to play center as punishment ... and played it with the intention of getting Pennington killed due to high snaps.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2008 4:37 PM

I don't know how we got to this point, but I stand up for the judicious use of ALL CAPS for emphasis. I'd prefer Italics or even underlines, but I've never figured out how to use them on this blog and it is clear how to use all caps. I also support the use of random caps as in chRIs LaRrY. But I'm a flexible guy and will go along with anything, so maybe it's just me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I find posts like this one fascinating. There really is an important message. You can run a back too much. I've advocated for a 12/4 thing, where Portis is the feature back in 12 games and Betts is the feature back in 4 games. It keeps Portis stronger. By using Betts as a feature back in 4 games. he can get into a groove in those games.

I once read that RBs that deliver big with a lot of carries in one playoff game rarely deliver big in the next. John Riggins being an exception ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Wait. We lost Crummey?!?

Was he a draft pick?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

What is all of this talk about resting CP and playing the rookies? Didn't you all learn anything from the Rams debacle? Let's focus on winning a game on the road, making it through the game with no injuries, and honing our heretofore below par special teams - especially punting and punt coverage. Overlooking the Lions could result in another horrible upset, If that happens you all will feed on the rotting Redskins carcass like Riggo on free beer.

...and The Rolling Stones Rock!

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 - That's why all the comments are not about this post.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Was he a draft pick?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 4:55 PM

No, FA. Got snagged off the practice squad by Cincy. We'll make them pay in a few weeks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

...and The Rolling Stones Rock!

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 4:58 PM |

Is this the first post ever from an "Assisted Living Facility?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I do think the Skins should decide who the #2 back is use him as a #2. The #3 back should sit unless there is an injury.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Just because guys like Sammy Baugh, Diron Talbert, and Sonny Jurgensen were my heroes doesn't mean I'm a mouthbreather.

George Allen never used to allow his teams to look past lesser opponents. We've already see thgis once this year from this rooke coach. Let's hope he's learned from his earlier overconfidence. The team looks to their coach for a tone and overonfidence against the Lions could very well lead to a loss.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Skins free agents at the end of this season:

OG Pete Kendall
DL Demetric Evans
DL Kedric Golston (RFA)
DL Anthony Montgomery (RFA)
LB Khary Campbell
CB Leigh Torrence
SS Reed Doughty (RFA)

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Does this thing have a spell check? Fat fingers and bad eyes.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The reason the Redskins have not been stretching the field is that the opposition has been playing "Cloud" coverage over top of Santana. This week, Z Man focused on running some different routes to get 'Tana the ball using come backs and more crossing, in fact his TD was on a crossing route.

What I really like about Zorn is that he is cognizant of how many touches and plays are being directed to each of his weapons. He saw that teams were taking 'Tana out of the game with the two deep cloud, and adjusted to get him some balls. Fred Davis has been by all reports busting his ass in practice after a slow start early in camp in that regard. Zorn has rewarded him by running some plays with him as the primary option. Kelley was inactive because he has still not become proficient at running his assigned routes with the precision that Zorn is demanding. Maybe because of missed practice time with his knee, or perhaps a mixture of that and a lack of good study habits. In any event, the message is being sent loud and clear to the entire team that Coach will take care of you if you take care of your business.

I expect to see Fred and Devin get some balls this week.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

thx for the article 4th. good article. Been saying for a while that Fletcher deserves to be a candidate for MVP of the entire league. Of course, it would have helped if had made that INT vs StL. Still, nice to see him getting some of the recognition he deserves

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Conspiracy theorists would wonder if Crummey was signed for his knowledge of the Redskins offense prior to the Bengals/Redskins game.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for that Bucky Brooks article. The more I think about it, the more its time to "stay medium" on Portis. The guy is a gamer, no doubt, but like Moss (zero yards a couple/few weeks ago?), he knows that this is a team game. Right now, I'm thinking the team needs for Jason Campbell to get his groove back in the passing game ... along the lines of Weeks Two, Three, Four, and Five.

Still, I love the love for Fletch and Horton. Nothing for Zorn?

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

vinnys eyes are fun as in disturbing to watch in that bmw ad

The way portis plays this curse deff applies to him

Posted by: dealer1 | October 21, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:13 PM

Crummey was actually projected to be a draft pick, but for breaking a bone in his leg late in his college career (i.e., Heyer-ing). I'm guessing that if Joe Bugel thinks enough to keep a guy, talent evaluators around the league (other than RI's own talent evaluator) see that and think twice. Seems like we had a ton of new O-linemen in trying to make the squad this summer. Crummey was one of those crop cream risers.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

captjim, I think you are totally incorrect in your statement that the Redskins were looking past the Rams. There are multiple statements from Redskin coaches adn players that all agreed that they were not looking past the Rams.

They lost because of errors, both mental and physical. Namely, fumbling, poor punting, and blown defensive assignments. The punter is gone, and the primary culprit on blown defense had a markedly reduced role this week against the Browns.

In my view Zorn and the staff do a great job of preparing, rewarding, and holding the team accountable. The players themselves seem to have bought into the deal and are ready and eager to show up all week at practice. This team has stones, will never quit, and will not be out competed. Its a beautiful thing.

Compare this team to what is happening in Dallas... its night and day.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Sween agree that Crummey was a good find and its too bad he has moved on. Good luck to him...accept agianst the 'Skins, of course.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Then why did Portis call him out for it?

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"except"...doh!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Interesting stuff for sure. It's a fine line between taking a back out of his rhythym and overworking him. I'd like to think that 25 carries on a big day, and 15-20 on a day where we can afford to (read: @ Detroit) and let Alexander and Rock do the rest. And when Ladell's healthy, he needs 10-12 carries/game minimum. He's making what $4 million/yr??

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 21, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"and will not be out competed"?

Giants?
Rams?

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

He called out the team for losing focus...not for looking past the Rams.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Skins loss to the Rams isn't so ugly if you look at it more carefully. The Rams were a better team than their winless record suggested. Look what they just did to dallas ... blew them off the field.

Add to that the freak play with Kendall. Its one of those once a decade kind of plays, but it cost the Skins 10 points, 3 for a chip shot FG and 7 they got. A 10 point swing is a big deal in a game that is decided by 2.

Sometime luck is a factor and it was an unlucky week for the Skins. I didn't think the team played badly or was unprepared or looking past the Rams. The 3 turnovers were the difference. Seems like it was the law of averages evening things out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Stop reliving the past losses, not like we were going to go 16-0........

BUTT never look past the team on the schedule...this is a week by week league...anyone who doesn't understand that deserves to get smacked in the mouth. I am confidant it is all Lions all the time in Redskins Park this week!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually, they should limit the games where CP gets more than 20 carries very seriously. The man is only 27 but has a lot of carries under his belt and we have a solid #2 back that is starter quality in Ladell.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Then why did Portis call him out for it?

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:30 PM

Because Portis is Portis (and maybe Portis was looking past the Rams). A couple of few players (Kendall?) specifically disagreed with Portis in the press.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I read some comments by Portis otherwise. I'll look them up and quote them here again.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

... and we have a solid #2 back that is starter quality in Ladell.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 21, 2008 5:38 PM

... who recently started quality rehabbing a knee sprain.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

captjim, we can go round and round all day if you want. Redskins got overwhelmed early agaisnt the giants, but they were not out competed. Redskins hung tough the whole game and never quit.

Rams game: Did you even watch it??? Redskins drove for the would be winning touchdown after shooting themselves in the foot all day. They dominated all the stats except the one that matters most, final score.

Your initial post this topic was idiotic, and remains so. You stated that Zorn allowed the team to look past the Rams and were ill prepared. Sheer lunacy. One of the most famous quotes from George Allen was "I knew we weren't ready to play today". Allen lived and died on his teams' frothing at the mouth emotional status. Great if they are frothing, not so much if they are not that particular week. Super Bowl 7 ring a bell???

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll make it easy for you... watch his video comments on redskins dot com from yesterday and after the Browns game.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

For your reading pleasure - sorry to disappoint you, but I was sure I had read this.

REDSKINS NOTEBOOK
A Lack of Focus Brings Strong Run to a Grinding Halt

Week 6: Rams 19, Redskins 17

By Dan Steinberg and Les Carpenter
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, October 13, 2008; Page E12

Several Redskins veterans insisted over the past week their team would not lose focus or overlook the Rams, despite rampant local chatter about the likelihood of a 7-1 start to the season. But after yesterday's game, Clinton Portis suggested his team had in fact listened to the sudden praise. He said practices on Thursday and Friday were excessively relaxed, that Coach Jim Zorn needed to "get on" players, and that the Redskins had more focus when they had been regarded as underdogs.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

They lost to the Rams because they gave up a 3rd and thirteen pass play after a blown blitz assignment by Kareem Moore and poor coverage by Leigh Torrence stop it with the poor punting accusations,from where i sit Placakmeir or whatever his name is no great shakes i'm sure time will tell but as i said yesterday Brooks in my opinion has a strong upside he just needed time to develop. I thought too much pressure was thrown at him and Sean Suisham never took the kid under his wing.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 21, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I will add that you never heard this from Vince Lombardi or George Allen coached teams.

Looking past the Lions is a mistake. All of this talk about resting Clinton Portis against the Lions and playing the rookies is inviting a loss.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"that Coach Jim Zorn needed to "get on" players"

You still staying with the moronic statement that Zorn's rookieness allowed the team to look past the Rams? And you really should look at the videos instead of depending on the filterd notebook version.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

beep beep (whew!)

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

beep beep (whew!)

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, did you ever hear a quote like that from a George Allen team or a Vince Lombardi team?

There were many indicators that the Redskins looked past the Rams. Many other reporters (both in print and on the computer) stated the same thing. I could dig them up and quote them, but I am sure you know.

Just because they beat Dallas doesn't excuse the Redskins losing to them AT HOME. Sure, there will be losses to better teams, but the loss to the Rams AT HOME was horrible. You can spin it any way you wish, but I'm calling a spade a spade

What would you say if they go to Detroit and lose? Rst Clinton Portis? I's okay because player x made a once in a lifetime blunder or it's okay because player y blew a pass coverage?

Football games are won and lost by a will to win, not a presupposition to win.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Football games are won and lost by a will to win, not a presupposition to win.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Football games are won and lost by a will to win, not a presupposition to win.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Football games are won and lost by a will to win, not a presupposition to win.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

What would you say if they go to Detroit and lose? Rest Clinton Portis? I's okay because player x made a once in a lifetime blunder or it's okay because player y blew a pass coverage?

Football games are won and lost by a will to win, not a presupposition to win.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Football games are won and lost by a will to win, not a presupposition to win.

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, sorry about that, I only pressed submit 1 time???

Posted by: captjim | October 21, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Despite what happened against the Rams, I cannot believe that some think that what is written here on RI has any relation to what the team is thinking.

Because I say that CP should be rested (which I do not) does not mean that Zorn or CP think that he needs to be rested.

If I look past the lowly Lions does not mean that the Skins Coaches are also looking at the game coming up against the Steelers.

Unbelievable! (was going to use caps here...)

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 21, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I kind of agree with some of the stuff you just said. It was a horrible loss at home. The game was winnable, and even for all their blunders, they almost pulled it out. I'm not happy with the loss, and its actually all the more infuriating because it was so winnable. You gotta have those games up here. I'm not making excuses. I'm just totally disagreeing with your analysis and assertation that Zorn screwed the pooch during the week before the game.

This is my only beef with your original statement: You said they lost the Rams game because the "rookie coach Zorn" allowed them to look past the Rams. That is patently false.

And to me "I knew we were not ready to play" is a pretty loud statement about a coach's ability to prepare the team. Allen said it, not me, and not Zorn.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah righ talk about Debbie Downer. These idiots see skins fan happy and can't take it, so they have to find a negative angle. Here's a negative spin for you Jasno, I hope one day you can afford a lamborghini reventon, then wrap it around a tree with your stupid fat face and homo glasses.

Posted by: rickmort | October 21, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Portis carried the ball more on sunday due to bett's absence no doubt. Once he is healthy and getting 8-10 carries like usual Portis will get a little bit of a break. Cambell is doing great but missing throws now he didnt in the begging of the season. Rock is great and hardworker but he cant run downhill like betts. It will be great to have him back.

Whats with putting in Alexander in for his first two plays and running him twice in a row. Talk about obvious? Jim Zorns play calling seems to be getting more conservative and preficatable as the season goes on.

Posted by: nate_snyder | October 22, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Thought on Rock Cartwright. He is a monster tackler on Special Teams, any ideas of how that can be used on D? Maybe a nickel blitzer?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 22, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

let's be honest....the RAMS loss still hurts...as it was 2 plays that decided that game.

But I think its alot better that that kind of loss happened early in the season rather than late....call it an Eye-opener for the Skins and that they shouldn't pay attention to their own press and focus on each game individually. Any given sunday any team can beat another.

I will say this....this team is alot different from last year's team in that most of these games we would have lost coming from behind under Gibbs. They just seem tougher and more unified out of the gate.

How many games did we blow leading in the 4th last year?? 5??

Posted by: goosedude | October 22, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse