Portis Finds a Reason to Cancel Minicamp

Running Clinton Portis, who often expresses his disdain for minicamp, training camp and preseason games, was not happy about being on the field in the rain, especially given the threat of swine flu.

"With the swine flu going around, this water could have some swine flu in it, then all of us gonna be dead," Portis said during a group interview session with reporters on the field as it rained. "You should cancel minicamp, especially in bad weather. Right now in Mexico, they canceled all sporting events. They need to do that in the U.S. ... This is a scary, dangerous situation."

The Redskins invested heavily on defense in the offseason, luring two-time all-pro tackle Albert Haynesworth from the Tennessee Titans, re-signing cornerback DeAngelo Hall and concentrating on defense in the draft. Washington brought back veteran guard Derrick Dockery, whom the Buffalo Bills released, in an attempt to bolster their offensive line.

"We've got to find a diamond, or two, in the rough with all the guys we have out here," Portis said of the offensive linemen trying out during minicamp. "I'm not the GM, I'm not the owner, I'm not the head coach. I talk to 'em, but my opinion ... you voice your opinion."

By Jason Reid  |  May 1, 2009; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Shin Splints Limit Moss; Thrash Out (Updated)
Next: Defense Tweaked with Haynesworth 'No Space Eater'

Comments

What a dumbass

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | May 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

perhaps he can shut his mouth, that will help him from getting sick. Portis Just run, OK?

Posted by: erthdog | May 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

First day of training camp, I'm psyched!

Posted by: frediefritz | May 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The got to move Doc walker show to prime time. He had Devin Thomas and very good coverage of the mini camp in his show on WTEM. Everyone pleaes write to WTEM to move the Doc Walker and Kevin to prime time, i.e. 4-7. Tired of listing to Sinacim of Andy and Zab

Posted by: capitolteacher | May 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

They got to move Doc walker show to prime time. He had Devin Thomas and very good coverage of the mini camp in his show on WTEM. Everyone pleaes write to WTEM to move the Doc Walker and Kevin to prime time, i.e. 4-7. Tired of listing to Sinacim of Andy and Zaben.

Posted by: capitolteacher | May 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This is a joke, folks. CP is cool, just likes to mouth off at times. Nothing serious. Just smile and enjoy his humor.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------

I hope he was joking otherwise he sounds like an idiot.

Posted by: thor2 | May 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Of course he's being facetious.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | May 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not the GM, I'm not the owner, I'm not the head coach but I did stay at holiday inn last night.

Posted by: thor2 | May 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

He realizes that the O-Line is a disaster waiting to happen. Portis and JC are the ones who will suffer the most.

Posted by: Salinas1 | May 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It's a joke. I assume jla's title for that was too.

Great doc walker interview. Devin doesn't sound like half the idiot this blog makes him out to be. He'll have to prove it on the field though.

Posted by: AdamCr | May 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

me, I'm hoping Portis got that 'diamond in the rough' part right. Cuz we need that on the OL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Right tackle Mike Williams, a 400-pound project who has not played in the NFL since 2005, was also signed recently but is not taking part in mini-camp, Coach Jim Zorn said, as he tries to get in shape.

By Jason La Canfora | May 1, 2009; 10:40 AM ET

This is absurd. Why don't they sign him AFTER he gets in shape?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Because the fatter he is, the less they pay per pound. As any Costco shopper will tell you, it's all about buying in bulk.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | May 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking of using the Swine Flu excuse myself, to avoid going back to work.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | May 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

He has 4 months to lose 40 pounds before the start of the season.

If nothing else, Williams will give them another option in the event Heyer and/or Jansen can't hack it at RT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | May 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | May 1, 2009 2:02 PM

This is the first credible explanation I've heard. I was at COSTCO yesterday and they're selling pork butts that weigh more than Williams does.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I am more upset about Orapko at Linebacker than anything else today having to do with the Redskins.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

We are talking about Swine Flu. Swine Flu not the common cold. Swine Flu a very serious disease that ravaged many OTA's already leaving entire teams wiped out.

Posted by: vwallen@bellatlantic.net | May 1, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

CP is pretty funny---I like it. I'd rather he save his legs for the season, and not have to worry about some scrub, who won't even make the team, trying to make a name for himself by trying to lay portis out...

Posted by: BigE44 | May 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

My bad...this item came from Jason Reid, not Jasno La Canfora.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Golly, t_e, I surely would steer clear of those pork butts, what with all the swine flu about!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:10 PM

Yeah, this sounds like the end of the world, doesn't it? If they do this again on Monday I'm rooting for the Ravens.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if CP thinks they should cancel tonights big dog fight down south because of the swine flu....you know, it's just a part of life down there.....

I know, I know, he was just kidding......right?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

'...I really hope he's being facetious. If not, he lacks some real intelligence (and drive in the offseason)...'

Clinton Portis is a vet.

He will be ready in the Meadowlands when needed.

He lacks drive in the offseason? Review the tape from the preseaspn game where he got injured hauling down a Bengals player from behind in a meaningless game.

Moss and Portis are our bread and butter. Without them, we're toast.

(INSERT rimshot audio and image of Rodney 'Moe' Dangerfield yanking his tie and complaining about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo at LB. Someone said he ran a 4.79 40. I looked it up and saw reports he ran a 4.62.

Curry ran a 4.53 40, by comparison -- and he is amazingly fast for an LB.

Orakpo has the speed to be a very effective LB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vwallen@bellatlantic.net | May 1, 2009 2:10 PM
-------------------------

Not "Swine Flu". It's now called Overseas Contingency Operation Sickness.

Posted by: InexperienceKills | May 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:12 PM

I didn't put one in my cart, but Vinnie was there poking them with a stick to see if any were still had enough so he could sign them for the O line.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:12 PM

I didn't put one in my cart, but Vinnie was there poking them with a stick to see if any still had enough life so he could sign them for the O line.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell didn't find that one funny.

Sick em' B-Mitch !!

Posted by: slipperyrichard | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Um, there are quite a few capable, albeit older, less talented players at DE, but there are only a few, less than stellar LB's on the roster. The 'D' would be better overall if he plays OLB on run downs and let's PDaniels and RWynn take the beating on running plays, and then Orakpo rushes on 3rd down. Also, this is minicamp and they are just trying stuff out. I wouldn't run to the Ravens over a 3-day experiment.

Posted by: BigE44 | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:10 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:12 PM

It sounds like it could screw up Orapko. Which in turn wastes our pick. I don't want him spending his transitional years into the NFL playing a position that he wasn't even ranked highly at coming out of college.

He was a top rated hand in the dirt pass rushing defensive end monster...NOT SOME STOP GAP FILL IN THE WHOLE MEASURE FOR THE REDSKINS TO FILL A NEED AT LINEBACKER!

PLUS WE NEED A PASS RUSHING DEFENSIVE END.. WE FINALLY DRAFT ONE AND THEY TRY TO MAKE HIM A FREAKING LINEBACKER?

HOW ARE HIS COVER SKILLS? HOW IS HIS BLITZING FROM 3 YDS OFF THE LINE? HE WILL GET T'D UP AT LB...CONFIDENCE SHOT... INJURED AND GONE.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

double post....sad old man....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

My bad...this item came from Jason Reid, not Jasno La Canfora.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 1, 2009 2:11 PM

Jasno's still trying to get a straight answer from Cody Glenn, isn't he?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru, are you aware that the college game is in some ways different from the pro game? That pro players at each position are on average bigger and faster than in college? And that consequently every season guys come into the league and play in different positions than they played in college?

I have no statistics whatsoever to back this up, but it seems to be a common thing for a guy who was a D end in college to find himself primarily playing linebacker in the pro game.

Plus it bears noting that Greg Blache is involved. I trust Greg Blache's opinion on what Orakpo should be doing, and where he can best help the team. You don't?

Just wondering why you're obsessing on this Rakkie thing so much... relax, brother.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

guzu, when is recess over....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Portis doesn't talk to JLC.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | May 1, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

double post....sad old man....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM

You silly young twirp. It wasn't double. They were different. The first one was incoherent, and the second one was incoherent in a different way.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

It just makes me so angry!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It just makes me so angry!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:22 PM |

Every silly little thing seems to make you so angry.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope that he is just messing with the media.

Who cares anyway. GO CAPS!

Posted by: ChristianGriffith332 | May 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Guru, what Nate said….

Besides, what do you care how they use Orakpo? He will never be a winner, doesn’t throw touchdown passes, and doesn’t have “it”…..and it was all Orakpo’s fault that Pete Kendall fumbled the ball that lost the Rams game for us.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

te, shouldn't you be headed to dinner right now.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Moe that was preseason, not offseason. Beyond that, if he was serious, he's gotta come up with a better excuse, really. That points to him being facetious, so the second half of my statement wouldn't apply as it was an "or" statement.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Any word on Williams is Hammerhan's report accurate, was he out there working with the team?

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Hammerhan??? It is Hanrahan

Posted by: CaptObvious | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm not picking on you, Guru, I'm really trying to figure out why it bothers you so much... it's the beginning of May. If Stompy makes the middle of the defense as much better as we all hope, what does it matter if Rakkie is flying in from the outside and wreaking havoc as a D end with his paw on the ground at the snap or as a LB standing up? As long as havoc is wrought, I think we'll be happy!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Moss and Portis are our bread and butter. Without them, we're toast.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 2:14 PM |
==============================================

MistaMoe, all that comment needed was a picture.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | May 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Every time I hear the name Hanrahan I think of slap shot......great scene!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I really hope Portis was joking around with the press. I would hate to think he is complaining about playing in the rain making the money he is making.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Hammerhands is Carlos Rogers, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

te, shouldn't you be headed to dinner right now.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:25 PM

No. I'm in the same time zone as you, not the west coast. I just got back. Chicken noodle soup, apple sauce, cottage cheese, banana, and jello. It was sure good.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Linebacker vs. DE debate? No..no...Jasno is still busy working on the cream filled vs jelly filled debate. After weeks of research followed by a few months of working out of the bathroom while taking Alli, he'll get to the where's Rak gonna play question.

Posted by: will_ga | May 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't detect the tone from the written words, but he HAS to be joking, right? He can't possibly be THAT ignorant...

Can he?

Posted by: nojunk4me | May 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Truth,

That crap about the regualr season not meaning anything is BS, who plays a meaningful game week 1 anyway. Almost all of the teams schedule some bum team and beat them by 50.

The regualr season would be more important, because if you don't do really well you don't make the playoffs

Is the NFL regular season any less exciting because they have a playoff.

Posted by: Flounder21 "

1) Plenty of big time games. Last year, Bama Vs. Clemson, this year UGA Vs. Oklahoma State, also games like App State Vs. Michigan, one of the biggest upsets in sports period.

2) See : NCAA Basketball Tournament. Started with 16 teams I believe, now up to 65. It's great for basketball, but not football. It wouldn't stop at 4 playoff teams, or 8, or 16 or whatever yall want.

The BCS needs tweaks, but a playoff system shouldn't be put in place.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Another note, you think teams don't schedule good OOC games now? Imagine if they knew they could get by without having a strong Strength of Schedule? The BCS pushes teams to improve their SOS, a playoff would push them to schedule even crappier teams.

At the end of the year, when it is down to three teams, the SOS pops up and makes a difference.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't get the anger from Guru. Let the Skins find out what Orakpo can and can't do. Take all of the 2009 season, if needed, to make sure he's playing where he is best.

The bigger issue is that by the end of this season, the Skins KNOW what Orakpo is best at ... and that they let him play his career doing that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Must be quite a bit*h to show up for work- Portis please SHUT THE F*** UP!

You are incredibly overrated and are not top 10 at your position (could be the weakest starting RB in the division). Just shut up and show up for work. Everyone including God knows he could use the extra work.

Posted by: S2DU | May 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Can he?

Posted by: nojunk4me | May 1, 2009 2:35 PM

Could go either way. He went to the University of Miami, didn't he?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

probably easier on your dentures, right?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

te, shouldn't you be headed to dinner right now.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:25 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM

Ummmm, T_E, out here in California, we're coming up on lunch time ... its still AM on this coast.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 2:38 PM

As Greg pointed out, at my age we have all our meals out of sych.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope Portis doesn't run his darn mouth again all year and whah whah whah.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

probably easier on your dentures, right?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:37 PM

My dentures are about ground down to nothing. I've been gnashing my dentures all day -- I'm so upset about Orakpo taking a few reps at LB.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to shout. We can hear you.

This isn't college ball anymore. DE in lache scheme is to neutralize OT, allow LB to make plays. This is good gor O-sack-O. He will rush a lot from this position, has speed to cover flank. We'll see how he is in pass coverage. We have PDaniels to play 1st and 2nd down DE.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

'...down south because of the swine flu....you know, it's just a part of life down there....'

Bro', they put swine flu on the grill in Dade County.

Swine flu arrives to Miami on a raft and declares itself a citizen once it touches dry land.

Luther Campbell's strippers all pop out of a cake and spread swine flu for dollas if you got them.

Portis wants to chill, let'em.

It's May after all, and he and Moss have proven what they can do.

Let them chill.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Officially sick of CP.

Posted by: abtassler | May 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

te, you're good people, I don't care what cork says about you, you're ok in my book...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As long as they (all of 'em, including DT11, and MK12) learn the playbook (the extra that Zorn didn't unveil last year).

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I think he was joking about the whole swine flu thing, but there was some truth to what he said about finding a diamond in the rough....he's the one getting hit in the backfield because the line gets no push and probably knows a few of those guys need to be replaced. Nice way of letting mgmt know he isn't too happy about their not upgrading the line.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Geez...people. CP was joking. Frank Hanrahan ESPN 980 was actually at the Park and said the CP was just being funny.

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

From Frank Hanrahan (ESPN 980)

Start of Something Good?
May 01, 2009 -- 1:37pm
First day of Redskins mini-camp at out here Ashburn and our first chance to get a look see at big free agent signee Albert Haynesworth and rookie DE Brian Orakpo who did all of his work with the linebackers during positional drills. Coach Jim Zorn said both looked good on day 1 despite the bad weather. RB Clinton Portis couldn't undertand that with the swine flu outbreak why the Redskins were holding a mini-camp? He was kidding of course. Sort of. Coach Jim Zorn said he addressed the team before the start of practice and said he told them that QB Jason Campbell is a player the organization wants to have and is not going anywhere. Not practicing today, WR Santana Moss (shinsplints), James Thrash (neck) and Malcolm Kelly (knee) . LB Rocky Mcintosh excused personal reasons.

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that before they drafted him, they knew what Orakpo was capable of...and are acting accordingly.

One would hope that someone as highly regarded as Orakpo would be versatile and coachable. He is a rookie.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 1, 2009 2:49 PM

I agree with Lisa. Jason should have made it clear in his reporting above. Cindy would have. I wish CP would come and post some of this stuff up here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thought that was legitimately hilarious? Give CP a break, sometimes the man is truly funny.

Posted by: chickencalada | May 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

CP is allergic to mini camp, but is drawn to microphones and video cameras.

hence, the dilemma

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Aren't these athletes pumped up with steroids and other drugs? I doubt they would die from even the most vicious flu out there! The worst scenario would be to have the virus mutate in one of these "Super-Humans" and become a "Super-Bug"!

Posted by: JohnWWW | May 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

bean

See you at the stadium/underattended palace Monday.

Sawx v. Yanks, round two.

Two games, two peaking teams=good baseball

We're both in a difficult stretch: You guys got the Rays, we play the Angels 4 games, then you guys.

I'm out for the day. I'm headed to Gainesville to retrieve the soon to be a doctor daughter.

Hail!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

when will reporter learn to write in tone of voice on blog-posts?

This should read:

"Sarcasm" With the swine flu going around, this water could have some swine flu in it, then all of us gonna be dead,"/Sarcasm" Portis said during a group interview session with reporters on the field as it rained. "Sarcasm"You should cancel minicamp, especially in bad weather. Right now in Mexico, they canceled all sporting events. They need to do that in the U.S. ... This is a scary, dangerous situation."/Sarcasm"

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

holy crap

here's a WR we've invited to camp, and I read that he was beating Westbrook and our third round pick Barnes on deep balls :

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

So if Mike Vick were renstated in the NFL, and you heard that Dallas was going to offer him a vet min contract would you want the skins to up them to either 1-force Dallas to pay more or 2- block them from talent?

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

moe, will do my friend.

sox ran into a buzz saw last night....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

al, 3, not get involved with headaches they don't need, nor want.

Why are people fascinated with Vick.......not worth it, in any way...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Gee, a Red Sox/Yankees game? I wonder if ESPN will be showing it? (Sarcasm)......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

holy crap

Posted by: TheTruth11

The dude's wearing sandals...that's ridiculous.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

People are fascinated because of the potential talent. Granted I think he proved to be a failed QB.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

holy crap

=====================================
Thank you for the post and he is a big dude too. WOW

Posted by: capitolteacher | May 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

He's obviously joking, just another attempt at sh!tstirring by one of the tubby beat reporters. It's no secret he doesn't like to practice, and he said this tongue-in-cheek to be self-deprecating. Hey J-whichever-one-you-are, stop trying to create a story out of a joke in another shameless and feeble attempt to drive home your "Portis is a cancer" message.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Sweet Truth.

"jump out the pool on that."

Hey where's poolman gone?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If you're wondering why Spurts_Dufus is mad about Orakpo being moved to LB, watch this highlight video :

Seems to be a natural beastly DE.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

How much does this little doofus make again?????

Posted by: swatkins1 | May 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

So if this kid Eloi has a jump ball vs Adrian Wilson, who gets it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

...I have no statistics whatsoever to back this up...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 2:19 PM

Surely you can't be serious. Next thing we know, you'll be up here with no stats AND no link. Or, most egregious of all...no stats, no link, AND no beer recommendation.

Posted by: 4-12 | May 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

LB Rocky Mcintosh excused personal reasons.

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 1, 2009 2:52 PM

He personally didn't want to get the swine flu.

Posted by: skinfanman | May 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

(Chaneling in Barno)

Wow...Just Wow...

Alot of you surprise me to even question what CP26 was talking about.

Wow....

We know he may not want to do mini-camp, BUT HE IS THERE. WTF?!?

I think the problem is, everyone doesn't get CP's humor (swine-flu). ANd he is a convient target for most bloggers and reporters to take a swipe at just because he is different. It's humour! Seriously, GTF...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree with CP on this. Mini-camps are a waste of time. See you in August.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | May 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I have no stats to back this up, but I am a multimillionaire.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

on Portis....

tongue implanted firmly in cheek

by the way do you know that Ikea has a whole line of Portis home furnishings?

Posted by: skinsfaninsanfran | May 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | May 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: S2DU | May 1, 2009 2:36 PM |

Ridiculous post... Apart from missing Clinton's humor, you seem to forget he finished 4th in the league in rushing, and finished ahead of every other back in the NFC East.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | May 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

After watching that Orakpo video, not convinced he's a DE in the NFL. I like the speed and he might be better with open field at LB.

Didn't see him overpowering anyone, though. Not many DEs can succeed only on speed at the NFL level.

Would like to see what he looks like in read/react/go situations.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Blogiing, letting opinion get in the way of facts since 1997

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Trade him. The most overpaid and overrated RB in the league

Posted by: loux24 | May 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009

KID!? Are you back? My God your dad must think you never use your head for anything but a hat rack? Now doesn't he? Hey I think the new Wolverine origins movie is out. You should go watch that instead of "driveling" on here. Wonder if they show his first "battle" which was of course was against the ever loving Hulk who once again "invaded" Canada? There are two "beasts" to entertain you.

As Casserly put it he is never going to be a good run stopper from the 3 point stance. He is too small to be a true DE in a 4-3 defense. Let's face it if you know anything about him, he started out as a way undersized basketball player who built himself up to where he is now through "legendary" workouts. Albeit Philip Daniels learned to do this over time. However, do you want him to become just another Daniels you moron!?

Per Charlie Casserly He is the perfect size and far better suited for an SLB. He will probably be better able to stop the run standing up than down in the three point. AND YES, JUST LIKE LaVar Arrington, and just like DeMarcus Ware HE WILL BE rushing the passer along with Haynesworth and Carter (currently the official pass rushing DE). The three of them along with Montgomery could provide quite a pass rush from different angles.

For what they are going to end up paying him he had better be in their for all 3-4 downs. And this is the way to ensure that happens, natch. Replacing a great player in Marcus Washington and perhaps, truth be told, LaVar Arrington

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Would like to see what he looks like in read/react/go situations.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009

You have to have a lot of leverage, a low center of gravity and the ability to shed those 350 pound 4.7-4.9 in the 40 tackles. Blache and compnay have seen the same film. Its going to be far more effective to start him standing up than down. Best use of his talents both on running and passing downs.

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I like Orakpo but with all due respect Truth, that video showed him going against guys who likely won't be playing in the NFL.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: frediefritz | May 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

wow

remember Freddie Mithcell? He was in that long line of crappy Eagles' WRs. And he ran his mouth when they went to the Superbowl, and then proceeded to suck in the Superbowl.

Here's his blog, lol. He even shouts out his new BBQ resturant!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

CP is just being facetious regarding swine flu and his offensive line. Many on this blog probably reflect his true opinion on things relative to the OL. Management did not just leave Jason hanging they left their favorite son CP hanging as well. What they are left with does not evoke a lot of confidence in anyone. Easy pickings for every defense in the BEAST right now.

Our defense had better learn to score points the way the Raven's does.

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Really CP.....Really

Posted by: kickass10101 | May 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't really care what Portis thinks or says.

He plays well, consistently.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | May 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

...other than Loadholt.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Makes perfect sense to me. You just have to understand the code words.
swine flu = knee injuries
water = minicamp
dead = place on IR
Right now in Mexico = Previously in San Diego
sorting events = LT's live practices

Posted by: nomolehill | May 1, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I think it may be prudent to reserve judgement on how well Okapro will play or for that matter where he plays until the season starts. We can try to guest-a-mate what will occur but one thing we can't figure is how bad the guy wants to be good. If he really wants it he will be fine where ever he plays. But I am an optimist.

Posted by: Deadfish | May 1, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Did Portis attend any classes while in school.
It sure doesn't seem like it.

Posted by: jmy999 | May 1, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

One never knows if Portis, is serious or joking around.

However, one does know, when Portis starts speaking on any given subject.
Portis comes off like, a complete idiot.

Posted by: dashriprock | May 1, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

te, shouldn't you be headed to dinner right now.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 2:25 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________

Sounds like somebody's got a colonoscopy coming up in a few days.

Posted by: Xlnt | May 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

So sick of Portis and his crap. We're tied into him for too long.

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 2, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse