Portis, Fabini Miss OTA (Updated)

Today is the final organized team activity for this week -- officially designated Shabingus Week with the Saturday bash looming -- and the news of the day was the absence of Clinton Portis and Jason Fabini. Jasno phones with the updates:

Practice just ended and Jim Zorn updated the ink-stained wretches who cover the team (we kid because we love -- to kid!).

Portis was at Redskins Park this morning, got his usual treatment and attended meetings, then left. Zorn was not sure whether he will attend the next OTA on Monday, saying that he was dealing with something "a little deeper" than what Fabini left to take care of.

Fabini rushed out of the building and jumped into a cab before practice. Zorn said he was needed at home and expected Fabini back Monday.

Off-topic, here's the link to today's Redskins Unrestricted. In it, Jason Reid talks about the early challenges of installing Zorn's new offense.

By Cindy Boren  |  June 5, 2008; 12:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Am I The Only One Who Thinks This Is Weird??
Next: Last OTA Of The Week

Comments

brown, we'll have to see. If Odom, or Gasol steps up, then I'll give you that.

I think that Odom could be a tough match up for the Celtics. He'll probably be covered by Kendrick Perkins, who is more of a low post defender. While Odom is more of a 15 foot shooter.

Pierce held his own defending against Bron, so I think that Kobe is going to have to WORK to get his points. Not saying he wont get them, but he's going to earn them.

If Ray-ray can continue with the hot hand, and Garnett just bring his usual double-double, then the Celtics will be hard to cover

Posted by: Greg | June 5, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

(nobody's here hating on Portis and calling him a malingering slacker and locker room cancer, and demanding that he be traded for two ham sandwiches and replaced by the clearly superior Ladell Betts? I guess they'll get here eventually.)

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

something's happening... I was just on a thread RIGHT AFTER this one, I swear, it had a video... and now it's gone.

Is this one of those ripoffs of a Japanese horror movie? Oh dear...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | June 5, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he flashed back to the Gibbs era and decided to remove himself from the OTA.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there just a "Everyone Loves Jason" thread?

I was going to compare him to the likeness of Darius Rucker and now I can't get "Hold My Hand" out of my head!

Curses!

Posted by: Dorf | June 5, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

YES THERE IS

Beep

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"In it, Jason Reid talks about the early challenges of installing Zorn's new offense."

I can't wait for Jason Reid to talk about the early challenges of producing "Redskins Unrestricted".

Posted by: Al Anon | June 5, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Um, so I can't post on Reid's video blog entry thingie? Anyone else getting problems.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Cindy--

Your posts are always bright, fresh, and clever. Don't be a stranger!

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 5, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I will admit the quality is slowly getting better.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 5, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

great work on the video, JR. Thanks for all your efforts.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The post needs to change the name of this blog. This in not insider information. Yesterday I read where Zorn said that Portis' hip injury was bothering him, yet JLC has no clue?

Hopefully Morocco Brown will get some inside info to JLC soon so that he does not come off so ignorant.

Posted by: donj1963 | June 5, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I hear you. The Lakers just look too good this year. Besides, who do you see coaching a champion this year, Phil Jackson or Doc Rivers?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Cindyyyy!

Haven't gotten to say 'Hiya' since I got back.... so... 'Hiya!'. :)

Thanks for the link to Jason's report. I like the new location :)

Some step for the new 'team leader' to be MIA today, eh? ugh.

Hail Shabingus!

Posted by: the AMAZING Dik Shuttle from the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE | June 5, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow, at participating Krispy Kreme locations, receive one doughnut of your choice for free in celebration of National Doughnut Day. Limit one doughnut per person.

Posted by: KK | June 5, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Some of you astutely noticed we had a separate post for "Unrestricted" up briefly ... and then it disappeared. I did that, just wanting to make sure that people who came to the blog now saw the more important stuff first.

That "Unrestricted" post you saw will publish out later now. There will be plenty of room for your constructive criticism then. We appreciate it, we really do.

We now return you to the Portis thread ...

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | June 5, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

J-Den strikes again!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

+++Zorn said yesterday that Portis had tweaked his hip flexor (or something like that). Said they might hold him out of practice today just to be on the safe side.

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2008 12:21 PM+++

Tweaked a Hip Flexor, huh? Gee I wonder how he hurt it in the first place. Oh, right. Not to worry, those things are never chronic. Portis never gets hurt, challenge races by improperly warmed up players are good for morale, and as someone pointed out to me, the season is months away.

Hey you little punks! Off my lawn!

Posted by: Corkczar | June 5, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

+++There will be plenty of room for your constructive criticism then. We appreciate it, we really do--Jon+++

Hey, what about that destructive criticism from us anonymous posters You saying THAT isn't helpful? What's the matter with us, Fathead?

Just kidding, but I wanted to beat the actual anonymous posters to it,

Look out. Here they come.

Posted by: Anonymous corkczar | June 5, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Awfully sneaky of you, Mr. DeNunzio!

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Cork, stop patting yourself on the back. Portis raced LL AFTER practice, so its safe to say he was warmed up.

Seriously, get over yourself.

"hey you guys, don't you see I was right, I was right, I'm super smart, and know more than EVERYONE"

take that crap elsewhere.

Posted by: Greg | June 5, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Person with itchy fanny wakes up with smelly finger.

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | June 5, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article on Cooley's blog on USAToday:

Cooley's banking details would appear to be the only personal information he's tried to keep to himself in a blog that enters new territory for a professional athlete's Web presence. "The Cooley Zone" could be described in many different ways - refreshing, entertaining, a PG-13 look inside the world of an NFL player - but two adjectives apply above all others: different and profitable.

How profitable? Cooley's early rough estimate: $250,000 by the end of the year, much of it from sponsorships and memorabilia sales. Not bad for a Web site run entirely by three people - Cooley, his younger brother and a friend - and created with the simple goal of making enough money to send the brother to medical school.

"We're going to way over-generate," Cooley said. "Everything that I don't give to my brother and my friend, I will donate to charity. I don't have a foundation. I don't have a cause. I don't have something that I care about enough to spend the rest of my life having a foundation. But I feel strongly about giving back."

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 5, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

There was also some very important "Insider" information about Zorn using the big balls drill recently. That "Insider" information was months old.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Cooley forgot he does in fact have a cause...

Cause Chaos!

(okay, I admit that was lame)

Posted by: Dorf | June 5, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Talent. I vacated last week. I'm back this week and next, then off for a bit.
There allegedly is some tweakage of an injury for Portis -- hence the treatments -- but it's tough to know just yet, given his feelings about OTAs. I'd have to say that I'd feel the same way; it's not like I need to type when I'm off.
The video will improve, I promise. For a moment, I thought JReid should hold up a copy of the day's newspaper and give secret signals....

Posted by: Cindy | June 5, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and hiya Dik!

Posted by: Cindy | June 5, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Cooley's nickname should be "Butters".

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

butters is "professor chaos," not captain... cooley way outranks him

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I like butter.

Posted by: Butter fan | June 5, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Truly appreciate you guys trying this, but i don't really understand what the video brings to the table if we don't get any actual video of players, coaches and redskins park. jason reid seems like a great guy but no one cares about seeing or hearing him, if you can't bring redskin media into the video then I would much rather just read it. Sometimes i don't have access to sound or shouldn't be using it for this, etc ,etc. I don't see how this adds any value, if anything it is a pain in the ass just to see jason reid.

Posted by: Re: Redskins Unrestricted | June 5, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

fascinating anon battle on previous thread

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I get it but dont get it. So I am working on a video right now, but my office email system is down. Boo email being down. Yay beer.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cindy, I want to apologies to you JR and JDN if my criticism was over the line on the video. I think the quality is getting better.
Here would be some more Constructive criticism.

Tell Mr. Reid he should not wear white. With his skin color it looks bad on camera without professional lighting, what it does is it makes you look pail and sickly. If you had a light on him it works better.

I am not sure what method is being used to record the video but it seems chopy, is this the uploaded format or a camera issue?

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

We appreciate all the constructive comments on the video! We're just figuring this out with your help.

Posted by: Cindy | June 5, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

What video format are you using? I would recommend Flash. high compression with a low amount of degeneration. Not sure if your web peeps cans support it though.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

fascinating anon battle on previous thread

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 1:41 PM

....oxymoron.

Posted by: Dik | June 5, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | June 5, 2008 1:04 PM

OMG you did NOT just go there. lmao!

Posted by: Dik | June 5, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse