Portis' Neck Still Stiff

Running back Clinton Portis (knee, hip, neck) watched practice for the second straight day. Portis has continued to experience neck soreness after being injured as he was tackled in Sunday's 23-7 loss to the New York Giants at FedEx Field.

"He's still trying to loosen up his stiff neck," Coach Jim Zorn said. "I think we've talked about it for the same way the last three weeks. And each week, he seems to start getting a little bit better, but he did take a pretty good bash in the head. It really did stiffen up his neck like a whiplash."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 4, 2008; 3:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Springs Likely to Play
Next: Practice One-Liners

Comments

QUESTION?

Say we win out and finish 11-5 but miss the playoffs, is the season a waste or a success?

I know the obvious miss the playoff but is 11-5 a success or failure?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

sit him for this game, and start Betts.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

It would be a successful Failure

Posted by: Tyler84101 | December 4, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION?

I know the obvious miss the playoff but is 11-5 a success or failure?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 4, 2008 3:52 PM

Failure.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

If we win out at 11-5 but do not make the playoffs then the season would have to be judged a success. Winning the last 4 games would mean that we would have at last established an offense, which would be critical for future success.

Posted by: driley | December 4, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins go on a four game run right now, with this many starters looking like the emergency room in a Beirut hospital, that would be a success, whether they make the playoffs or not.

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

+++I never respond to Cork, but after reading your post, I know you do not follow Ravens Football. And I'm sorry Cindy put herself out there to agree with you.+++--4th Floor

Never say Never, 4th. I’m Honored to have Cindy agree with my points.-CORK

1. Their OLine was called young and inexperinced before the season started and ours was called great. Now, it's the opposite for both.—4th Floor

Essentially, you are agreeing with me. The Redskins line started strong, and wore out. The big young, Baltimore line got better.

2. No one was calling our OLine Elderly, smallish. Not JLac, not anybody.

In football terms, over thirty is elderly. Rabach may be 29, but the rest are over thirty. Thomas, Jansen and Kendall are at or near the end of their careers, Samuels isn’t far behind. Rabach is too small to block elite noseguards. They are one of the smallest lines in the NFL. Others have said that, you just didn’t read it.

3. You're making up excuses for the players like your name was V Cerrato.

Portis is hurt. I’ve never liked Betts, who’s been hurt. Much of the Oline is hurt. None of the drafted or FA receivers have contributed. Moss is hurt. Those aren’t excuses “like Cerrato.” I blame Cerrato for not anticipating OLine needs and for drafting the wrong people.

4. The 'Experts' all said that the Ravens WR sucked last year. Now they're Greeeat!

Yeah, not a lot better than the 'skins guys, I guess, and I stand corrected. Still, that reflects credit on their Oline, which gives Flacco time to run his progressions. Same as it was for Campbell, before his protection broke down.

Posted by: TheCork | December 4, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

So you guys don't think injuries and playing the top three defenses (including the Ravens on Sun) in the league had anything to do with the poor offensive performances by the Skins?

Posted by: siris | December 4, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

+++4th, be prepared to be called something such as a "nimbypoot", or a "ficklyprog" by Cork.
Only he knows the meanings of his insults.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

No, Paul Dickson knows, and so do the readers of his book, “Words.” Just because you’ve never heard of something don’t assume nobody else has heard of it either. It makes you sound like a nigmenog or puzzlepate.

As always, we kid because we love….

Posted by: TheCork | December 4, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The reason they play is to get to the playoffs and make noise...So 11-5 or 5-11 /no playoffs is a lost season

Posted by: Tyler84101 | December 4, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Priest Holmes great KC years and Larry Johnson's 2,000 yard Oline were all over 30 and considered the best line in the NFL......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

... 2008 was not set up for low expectations. ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 3:38 PM

Yes, yes, it was.

Pull the Saunders offense and replace with completely new offense. Pull the head coach and replace with new offensive coordinator. Remove one half of most promising safety combo ever built (as well as the late season emotional surge borne of that tragedy) and re-assemble with no safety with more than 2 years in the league. Do not draft any defensive linemen or find any younger ones in free agency. Add one offensive lineman through the draft and add no one younger in free agency. Go directly to offseason. Do not collect $200.

8-8 meets expectations (one win fewer than last season). 9-7 beats expectations. 10-6 exceeds expectations. If you stay in the same place when everyone else is moving forward, you step back.

Still, next year will be better ... and I will have higher (and still reasonable) expectations ... assuming they reload on the lines (and at SLB) ... greater need at DT than DE ... greater need at OT than OG.

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Going 11-5 and NOT making the playoffs is ALMOST like going 16-0 in the regular season and losing in the SuperBowl....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

There you go corky, you're a sneedldort, and a guddleduck

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

11-5 would be a great success. And it would also put them in the playoffs. (Unless Dallas and Atlanta also win out).

By which I mean, please please please find a way to score some TDs so you beat the Ravens Sudnay night.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 4, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sween - They did add defensive lineman.

JT55 & E James. And they drafted Rob Jackson.......

2 out of the 3 would be classified as 'young'.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

LH - I just pulled out of the Hot Dog Eating contest. I couldn't see myself going through this shame when all I originally called for was Redskins tix.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

'a sneedldort, and a guddleduck'

Aren't those the bad guys in Harry Potter?

Posted by: 4-12 | December 4, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

My biggest fear is that these various positions dont allign and we waste a lot of great talent. Im spraking about the run game we have clinton Portis who many said had "lost a step" who is playing obviously in his prime right now.(I wish some more people on our team would lose a step if thats what it ends up producing). But we have an aged O-line that is clearly on it last legs. CP26 will only be able to produce this kinof output for 2-3 season maximum(if that with the beatting he has taken). By the time we get a new establish O-line our run game wont be as dominate as it has been. Hopefully our WR turn into good players and JC will become a QB that the skins need(would love for him to get the same playbook for more then a weekend)
But it just seems that to many of our units are heading in diffrent directions, that need to be immediatly addressed through whatever means to keep this team in contention.
Also would have loved to draft a running back this year, its like of those rooks can do any wrong.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

4th, I concede on Rob Jackson. He looked like he could have some promise down the road. That said, DT is a higher priority than DE (but DE also could use some attention ... the Erasmus James move feels to me like the move for Shaun Alexander, only with a draft pick thrown in there ... maybe like the draft pick that got used to get Rob Jackson).

I also have to admit that I never would have expected that Jason Taylor was such a liability against the run. Maybe its just the difference btwn NFC East play vs. AFC East play.

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

My expectations on this season were the lowest i have had in many years... I fullly expected to start slowly based on what i saw in preseason and the early schedule. I anticipated a steep learning curve with the west coast passing game and was not convinced our additions at WR would contribute much based agasin on what my eyes told me in preseason and what i heard here on ri from you guys and jasno.... I still see the team as a collection of decent complementary guys that play hard and well together and don't generally make a bunch of mistakes...we are the kind of team lead by our defense thats in every game and is a tuff physical team for others to play, but in a few words lack the true impact dominance up front on both sides and real speed/threats on the outside, the backfield and special teams....much work has to done in these areas to get over the top provided we have the right Qb/coach.......

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | December 4, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION?

I know the obvious miss the playoff but is 11-5 a success or failure?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Failure b/c we lost to St Louis at home and that basically would have cost us the post season.

Posted by: Devo2 | December 4, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Though its still very much early December (and prior to the Skins four game run of wins), I agree with Stu about adding another vintage of RB through the draft ... fresh legs ... Rock, Betts, and Portis all entered the league at the same time. It would be bad to have all three fall apart at the same time. Insertion of a young guy into a two RB combo in the recent past has done well to extend the shelf life of a post-prime back (Addai reviving Rhodes, Bush reviving McAllister, D Williams reviving Fred Taylor, etc, maps).

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

psps and I on the same page. 2008 could have been, and could still be, a good season.

The Ravens have had success with the softer part of their schedule. The jints beat them much like they beat us (23-7 vs 30-10). The most impressive Ravens game was taking Pitt to OT. Beat the Ravens and this Skins team would likely be favored in every game the rest of the way.

11-5 is a success, no question. It'd be a fluke if we missed the playoffs at 11-5, which would be disappointing. But 11 wins is success.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Just reading through today's posts, and something stood out in Rock's Special Teams Report. There was no mention of that pathetic attempt to block the XP early in the game. There was no aggression at all, and we just watched as the guy bobbled the snap and had like 30 seconds to get the kick off. In a game where we were meant to be fired up in the memory of the Reaper, I though the lack of effort was dismal, and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Posted by: kost52 | December 4, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

My neck is stiff, too.

No one writes articles about that.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 4, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It would be a successful Failure

Posted by: Tyler84101

Hilarious....but true.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 4, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Truth, that is regrettable, but they (primarily Bonita Applebaum) only write about "regular" posters ... not episodic, intermittent, periodic, or irregular posters.

So, how's that neck?

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 4:23 PM

This is one of the funniest posts I've read on RI. It sounds like the plot for a Simpsons episode.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

+++There you go corky, you're a sneedldort, and a guddleduck

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

You have risen exponentially in my estimation. Imaginative insults are so much more fun than the ol' "your an idiot" response, doncha think?

Posted by: TheCork | December 4, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

kost, I'm concerned about the no drinking thing on a lot of levels...

Given that you're so far ahead of us time-wise, I reckon you'd better start drinking now to make sure you don't miss kickoff...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2008 10:11 PM

I know Nate, I have been a bit of a bad omen in games that are televised over here, and tried something different in an attempt to get a win. The Ravens game is on this week, so I'm going to try drinking a beer called 3 Ravens, hopefuly it's an abbreviation of 3 Ravens Interceptions.

Posted by: kost52 | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

No, in addition to being a mappledack, you're also an idiot...........

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The return of Old School! I love it!

I would eat a bunch of hot dogs to go to Caps game, I love the Caps! Ovetchkin is the single best thing about D.C Sports bar none. You guaranteed to see more Offense at a Caps game!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

As for the future, just about the time the Skins have filled in the gaps at OLB, MLB, RT, RG, LG, DT (all these guys will be done in 2 years or less), we'll be looking at RDE (Carter), Moss and Portis as potentially over the hill. Portis is just getting so beat up and Moss is all about his quickness, which tends to diminish at 30+.

I'm just saying that the future includes a lot of turnover and its not like the guys on the squad now are giving notice that they are close to ready.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Im sure some wont agree and rightly so, I havent watched to much Ravens but every time i see them their kick returner Yamon Figurs is doing some increadibly stupid stuff. I seen him running backwards multiple times and he got nutmegged a couple times too, the guys speedy but he really seems like a target. Our kick return D has been good, the punt return not so but i think we could work him, get a turnover out of it.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:26 PM

Or the difference between playing healthy and playing injured?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Stiff Records > Portis' stiff neck

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Stiff Records reference on RI! I love it! Nate getting all Ian Dury on us!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 4, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Kost, while your drinking, take a moment to use a serviette to wipe that left over cocoa off your upper lip.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Or the difference between playing healthy and playing injured?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 4:42 PM

An apology would be better than an excuse, but he didn't get hurt till Week 3. He was getting run over till then ... Vinny.

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Sween, Taylor obviously hasn't been Taylor all year. If he was getting a good pass rush and a liability vs the run, I'd agree.

Me, I'd put Carter on the bench and go with Taylor at the position he was player of the year at 2 years ago. Carter has been awful (which is too bad because I think he is a character guy), so see if Taylor can regain his form. Nothing to lose, as I see it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

JT 55 got hurt in preseason

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 4, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

kost, I'd like a full report on that Three Ravens beer, please, especially if turns out to have magical properties whereby drinking it helps the Skins defeat the Ravens.

Usually all I ask of my beer is to make the wins feel a little better and the losses hurt a little less...

I'll see your
3 Ravens interceptions (by Hall, Rogers, & Horton)
and raise you
3 Ravens fumbles (recovered by Evans, Horton & Fletcher)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION?

I know the obvious miss the playoff but is 11-5 a success or failure?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 4, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

good one at that...I say that 11-5 is a success this yr, hands down, playoffs or not. see sween's post about expectations - kinda what Wise was saying. I totally agree that this yr was not (by the realistic among us, which I durely do not count myself) supposed to be "the year". You can say "10-6 last yr, AND WE ADDED JASON TAYLOR!" but too much turnover.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"If it means everything to everyone, it must be a Stiff."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

we're gonna have to blow this team up in about 2 years and it's gonna be a damn shame

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 4, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sween - They play 3-4 or a hybrid such as down there in MIA.

I like the fact we got JT55 roaming free, though. I think we will see sucess in that.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 4, 2008 4:55 PM |

Yeah, but atleast we will be in the UNCAPPED YEar by then! So, who cares! No more DEAD CAP Space!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

zcezest - The reign of my terrible Mo, is over, but I'm proud to say that it raised $360.02 for Prostate Cancer.

By the way, the Calender came in the mail, thanks for that! It's awesome!

Posted by: kost52 | December 4, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 4, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

We can go out and blow the team up and still have the same Fantasy League Personnel gurus selecting the new players. The question is: which players have the rest of the season to prove they have long-term value to a younger, faster team:

Betts
Thrash
Fabini
Randle El
Washington
Springs
Rhinehart
Geisinger
Fincher
Davis
Heyer
Taylor
Wilson
Jackson

I'd remind them that the saying Not For Long and National Football League are both synonyms and start crossing dudes out that ain't getting it done. Remember: Love the team, not the players.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Portis' Neck Stiff

Pockets still straight, though. More at 11

Posted by: moo21 | December 4, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 4:47 PM

Not sure what there is to apolgize for. Taylor sprained his right knee in a pre-season game. He's never been fully recovered in a regular season game for the Redskins....Cork.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

11-5 would be a success, but an illusion as well. I say that because good football teams are built with the lines first, then quarterback. The age of our offensive line was dictating what the draft should have been if we were going to actually build a long term stable team that would compete in the NFC East. I will state on record that our offensive line will not be better next year because it takes longer than one season to develop a dominating line. Since nothing was done this year, we are looking at a deteriorating situation. With only 4 draft picks to be split up for all the other needs we are not going to be able to rectify the situation in one season.

Posted by: driley | December 4, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

These are by far the dumbest post I've read all year. You all arn't even true fans. The Ravens will kill your "O", period. Weve played better, Portis will be a NO show and you all will be squealling like the pigs you are on Monday.

Ravens 35
Deadskins 14

I gave them 14 because of the holiday season.

Posted by: johnscherzo | December 5, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse