Portis: No need for Snyder to apologize

As far as running back Clinton Portis is concerned, owner Daniel Snyder didn't need to apologize to fans Tuesday. But maybe the players do.

"It didn't take him to speak. We know we're a disappointment. I hear people [say], 'You just gotta hear it out of somebody else's mouth.' We know we haven't played up to par. It didn't take Mr. Snyder to step up and say, 'We apologize,'" Portis said. "We'll apologize to our fans. We'll apologize to our coaches. It's us. We got to play up to par. We can't put that on him.

"Him saying he apologized won't make our record better than 2-5 or make people forgive us for being 2-5 or make everyone say, 'We're coming to the game. He apologized.'"

Quarterback Jason Campbell said he hadn't heard Snyder's apology to fans. But he was asked whether fan frustration is more intense than past years and responded, "Obviously."

"You can hear it; you can see it," he said. "And we're frustrated also."

"For the ones that's truly behind us, you feel sorry and we are ashamed," Moss said. "But to the ones that's not, we're still ashamed. But there's nothing we can do about what you're letting out to us with your anger and signs and whatever else you got going."

Portis also used his media availability Wednesday to clarify his relationship with Snyder. The joke around Redskins Park is that Joe Gibbs used to call Portis an assistant general manager.

"Our relationship has been under so much scrutiny, and everyone think I get my own way and that I run to Mr. Snyder. I don't," Portis said. "I have a working relationship with Mr. Snyder. ...I think it's a great thing when you can go into work and speak to your boss. I've never had a 9-to-5, but I'm sure in the regular world, you speak to your boss when you go to work.

"So many people feel that I'm in charge and so many people [are] so worried about our relationship. I don't think our relationship is nothing major. I think we speak, we talk, we laugh, we joke and so on. I've never spent the night at his house or did anything special. It's just a cool relationship.

"But because I'm under so much scrutiny everyone thinks I have so much power. I kind of keep my distance. I speak and keep it moving. There's so much ill will toward me or what I'm doing. Not knowing, people always assume, 'How did Clinton get out of this?' It's not Clinton trying to get out of anything or being an [butt] kisser or running to Mr. Snyder. But I think I go out and bust my butt on the field, and he appreciates that."

By Rick Maese  |  November 4, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell finds road games easier right now
Next: Haynesworth's primary concern is wins, not stats

Comments

Fire Vinney

Posted by: ccwbambam | November 4, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

That's cuz Synder is Portis' best friend and gives him lots of money. That's the only reason why Portis likes him.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

RickMaese

to recap: on monday, Hall is returner, on Tues Zorn talked about committee and today Randle El is top returner

This is ridiculous. Put Zorn out of his misery and let someone else attempt to handle the rest of the decision making till the season ends.Please....

Posted by: will_ga | November 4, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible for me to ask JReid and everyone else at the Post to stop interviewing CP? It would be nice to not hear from him for the rest of the season...

Posted by: mattylight | November 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You can always count on CP for a sound bite. Is it over yet?

Posted by: overzealous08 | November 4, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2009 3:2

Don't forget the endless supply of cheezeburgers

Posted by: will_ga | November 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

He didn't say anything that incendiary. Our fans are fickle, and I hear some stupid sh-t at games, and people booing for all the wrong reasons.

This team is a soap opera, and no one should be surprised or miffed that he finds it easier to play on the road.

Posted by: smutsboy | November 4, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter -- he has been here long enough to know his audience. It's a football crazy town and he's the starting QB, so he's got to take the criticism with the good. Up until now, though many would question his talent, almost no one would argue that he has handled all the adversity, beginning in the offseason, with class and grace. So whether it was intended as a shot to the fans or not, better that he keep his mouth shut and just play.

I don't think this whole mess is all his fault, but what can he possibly say that is a win-win for him right now? The team stinks, his O-Line stinks, and he isn't playing well. That's when above all else, you be quiet and just play...

Posted by: mattylight | November 4, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I took the kids to the park last Sunday, and we had a heated kickball game, as well as played some red-light/green light....I've gotta tell ya, it was exponentially more enjoyable that watching the redskins lose.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

THAT'S RIGHT TANA....SPEAK ON IT!!!! ALL THE FOCKING BENEDICT ARNOLD SO CALLED "REDSKINS FANS" CAN SICK A DUCK!!

BUYING ALL THE BOOSH!T THAT THE POST AND OTHER MEDIA HATING OUTLETS HAVE TO SPEW ABOUT THE REDSKINS. UNBELIEVABLE HOW NAIVE SOME FANS ARE!!!

TURN IN YOUR REDSKINS CARDS, AND THEN GET LOST!!!!!

Posted by: frmi | November 4, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Ahh the great who is a real fan debate. Thank you Santana.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 4, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

BINGO! Individual accountability. Thank you Clinton.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 4, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 4, 2009 3:28 PM

Except that when the players stop talking to the reporters, we get on them for being aloof and not talking to the reports. What's that saying again? Damn if you....

Posted by: TWISI | November 4, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The parallels between this and the French Revolution are uncanny.

Eventually we are going to blame each other for the team's poor performance! Actually, in the last thread we already were.

Santana, we ARE rooting for the team. We cheer when we need to and we support. But y'all need some tough love. No one else is holding you accoutable, we need to. We do pay your salary after all...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 4, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

CP26 gonna always support the man keeping his pockets straight!

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Portis in that Snyder does not need to apologize to the fans. All the fans really want is the same thing that Portis and company has been getting, and that is the easy $Millions$ Dan is giving them! Money for nothing! If the motto "Eastern Motors, where your job is your credit" is still true, then Snyder should start collecting on those credits!

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 4, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Clinton really hasn't had a 9-5. How often to employees speak to the CEO of your company every day?

I talk to my boss plenty....maybe even his boss. But that person's boss? Rarely......and the CEO? Only in passing.

Posted by: EckertA | November 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 4, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

Who has created the hostile atmosphere at home games? It's not JC. Sure, he plays a part, JZ plays a part, VC plays a part, but when you screw your fans as the Redskins organization has been doing consistently, somebody has got to step up and say, 'Hey, this is not helping the product on the field'.

JC has handled everything exceptionally well, and I'm sure he's just saying what other people in that locker room are thinking. So if your QB can't step up and say, 'My team is hurting at home', who can?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 4, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

kiss-up

Posted by: pathmo | November 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

The Owner absolutely needs to apologize ... just not about the stuff he acted like he was apologizing about. The Owner apologized for the record and the team, but not about any part of his own contribution of to the shabingus ... paying the starters disproportionately higher than other teams leaving nothing for depth ... drafting for plash instead of offensive line ... $8 beers ... $25 dollars to park at training camp ... the Mini-Tron ... not showing scores around the league till half time ... peddling Kangaroo TV rentals for $80 a game ... acting like he knows about football ... d-bag ... he's just another fan.

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

From the Times...just shake my head:

Coach Jim Zorn just confirmed my reporting from Monday, saying "there's nothing different" with the punt return situation in which the Redskins supplemented struggling longtime regular Antwaan Randle El with Santana Moss and DeAngelo Hall last game against Philadelphia.

"There's nothing different," Zorn said. "All three guys punt returned two weeks ago. Nothing has changed. Antwaan is our punt returner. Ypu're going to see Santana and DeAngelo. If he's involved more, it will be one or two reps."

Zorn said that Randle El will return the first punt Sunday at Atlanta.

Lets not change up whats broke....ufb...JZ is too nice, too stubborn, and too naive, to be coaching this team.....this team needs a serious meltdown....needs a coach shoving his foot up someone's backside...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

TURN IN YOUR REDSKINS CARDS, AND THEN GET LOST!!!!!

Posted by: frmi | November 4, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse
--------------------

Hey, you should put this on a sign and carry it into the stadium...oh.

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 4, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Interesting mentality the Chiefs came out of their bye week with. The Skins could use this type of mindset:

For those who cannot access the link it reads:

"Losers assemble in small groups and complain about the coaches and other players," the sign reads. "Winners assemble as a team and find ways to WIN." (The sign also has the word "team" placed over the Chiefs logo.)

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

bep-bep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

This apology blip would be more belivable if it had happened immediately after the Eagles game, definitely after the Chiefs Game.

Posted by: Veretax | November 4, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 4, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

matt, to say it's easier to play on the road right now comes across like he's shocked they're getting booed. They're 2-5, and they've lost to the Chiefs, Lions, and Panthers. You have to expect boos in that situation, and nobody on the team should expect anything else. I'm not blasting JC, all I am saying is that now isn't the time to say anything, subtle or otherwise, about the fans, even if it isn't your fault. But therein lies the problem. I got no beef with JC if he said this and his stat line this year is 14 TD's 6 INT's, 101.3 QB Rating, etc. But he isn't playing particularly well either...

Posted by: mattylight | November 4, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Unless he feels the need to have his fullback benched.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 4, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

TURN IN YOUR REDSKINS CARDS, AND THEN GET LOST!!!!!

Posted by: frmi

Nicely done.

And I'm not trying to be funny because you're a serious dude, and I know this to be true because each and every one of the letters in your post is capitalized.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

What else would you expect from Snyder's Butt Munch? Clinton Portis has quickly become a shining example of the Redskins - Whiney Sniveling Prima Donnas who know more than coaches about how to win football games.

I was once a Portis fan. I thought he had two years where he was a head's up, fighter for yards - but then he joined the USS Snyder, a ship made on the backs of the successful and designed for the support and care of only one man - Daniel "Lil Napoleon" Snyder. And when Portis forged a pact with Snyder and made even Joe Gibbs look like a Tart for allowing him to yank himself out of the game, I knew the Redskins would no longer win or count on Portis to be a man.

Snyder has created this mess regardless what Portis claims. Everywhere you look you see Snyder finger prints on fan lawsuits, fan ticket scams, fan signs that no longer can be brought to games, and to rosters for a decade that looked like big name marquee signs at Las Vegas than rosters of true winners.

Portis - go stuff yourself. I can't wait for the day you are shipped off with 80% of this team who are disgusting money grubbers who can't muster the effort to be winners.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 4, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

TURN IN YOUR REDSKINS CARDS, AND THEN GET LOST!!!!!

Posted by: frmi

Am I the only one that didn't get a card?

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

How ungrateful you people have become. Our owners has done the best in his power to put forth a good team and all you do is complaint? What fickle fans you are. If you dont like it then go root for the Raves. This team will go on profiting with or without you.
You people should be apologizing the Mr. Dan Snyder for your lack of support and your fickleness.

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 4, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Santana, we ARE rooting for the team ... But y'all need some tough love. ...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 4, 2009 3:36 PM

Tough love, like booing after a win.

"They're saying BOOurns, Mr. Burns."

D-bag Skins fans are a bunch of fairweather babies who want their sports bottles.

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Portis has had his own set of rules since long before Zorn was coach. That was because he was one of Danny's favorites and he wants to make sure that he isn't part of the housecleaning. How could any of the players with a straight face defend Snyder when they know the type of circus he has created at Redskins Park? This would have been a good time for Portis to keep his mouth closed and let his play do the talking on the field. CP used to be one of my favorite Redskins - now he just sounds like another of Danny's buddies.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 4, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what you think about fair weather fans, these guys really need to just shut up and go play football...way too much talk talk talk

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 4, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

well Portis, i think that you should apologize for all of your one yard gains and lack of productivity. You may blame your weak performance on your personal injuries or the O-line, but the bottom line is that your performance is not worthy of your salary. If your injuries are the reason for your poor performance, then man up and allow a healthy RB to take over and carry the load until you are healhty. Don't hurt the team to save your pride.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 4, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

What you want to be champions every year? Are you kidding me there are 31 other teams wanting the same people.
You - as I am - should be thankful to have an owner willing to spend and bring the best players available -- The owner should wear a t-shirt and have signs in each and one of the fans' house saying "fire the fans" for their lack of support. See how you like it. How quick you turn your backs on the team.

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 4, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I am a true Redskins fan. That is why I can't support Dan Snyder.

Mindlessly drinking the kool aid doesn't make you any more of a fan...

The Redskins are currently the only NFL team to lose to: KC, Detroit - spending money or not, 2-5 with a tough schedule going forward speaks for itself.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | November 4, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 4, 2009 3:58 PM

They are just engaging in the behavior he models. No one does fickle like a guy who hires a guy to be the offensive coordinator (and elevates him to head coach b/c everybody else is no longer available) then changes play callers midseason.

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Portis Pockets Straight!

Posted by: chop1 | November 4, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
Vinny, is that you?

Posted by: Hail2TheSquire | November 4, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | November 4, 2009 3:56 PM

I feel the same way. Portis was not only a great runner, but a complete football player. He was the best at reading blitzes and picking up blockers I've ever seen. He anticipated turnovers, made tackles, and generally played well w/o the ball which most great runners never even consider to be something they should add to their game. However, at some point, he became a cancer which I think is one of the primary reasons the offense is so dysfunctional. Other players notice and resent when another player doesn't practice, worms his way out of preseason games, has an inappropriate relationship with the owner, and (worst of all) tries to have a teammate taken out of the game. Nobody is more adept at making sure his money is taken care of, and he's going to mess with someone elses?! You think Sellers is really over that, or just being a professional about it?
It's not the whole story (by any means), but it is a brick in the wall. Now that his performance is nothing special, it makes the problems even more difficult to ignore. If the uncapped year fairy tale comes true, cutting ties with CP should be job #1 for our new GM. (if only)

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 4, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ficklness - the Redskins have not been a winning organization in over 10 years! The two times they made the playoffs they had to get win streaks of 5 games each to close out the season!

I want to WIN. 3 playoff seasons in 10 years, while barely making it in 2 of the 3 and not getting even past the second round is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I can't believe some people.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | November 4, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Clinton--Why dont you give back half your salary and if you can get the rest of the sorry team to give up their salary we can sign an offensive line that can block for you and the passing game. If everyone does it we might be able to get a couple of receivers. How sorry are you?

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | November 4, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

DAN SNYDER DOES NOT NEED SUPPORT! He has plenty of money.

HE NEEDS TO BUILD A WINNING ORGANIZATION! FROM THE TOP DOWN!

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | November 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 4, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Posted by: smutsboy | November 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Was that Clinton Cerrato or Vinny Portis talking?

Posted by: jfwil | November 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I got your back Tana

Posted by: nford2 | November 4, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

my tongue would snap off its roller if I had to apologize to Dan Snyder. It's like apologizing to the devil!

Posted by: 1of9000 | November 4, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis should shut his trap..he is on the tail end of his career and trying to hang on ...LADELL BETTS should be starting!

Posted by: ineedajob | November 4, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Receiver Santana Moss said fans who turn their back on the team, "To me, that's not a real fan."

I've been a Skins fan since before Santana was born. I've cheered through great times and lousy times. But this team is a fraud. Danny Snyder has slapped the Redskins label on a shoddy, inferior product. I'm embarrassed by the laughably stupid decisions the management has made for the last decade. I'm embarrassed by the incompetence on the field. I'm embarrassed by the awful gameday experience. I've turned my back on Snyder, Cerrato, and their whole unethical, cowardly band of losers.

Santana doesn't think I'm much of a fan? Well, I don't think these guys are much of a team. And the tiny tyrant certainly isn't much of an owner.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I support the Redskins. They are gods lambs like the rest of us. Portis is good. Bless you.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, but isn't Zorn supposed to be his "boss" and not The Danny?

Posted by: AustinSkinsFan | November 4, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Snyder needs to apologize for that Portis contract extension!

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | November 4, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I would like to apologize to "myself" for allowing "myself" to sit through these crappy, pitiful, high school level redskin offensive performances week after week. I would also like to apologize in advance to "myself" because I'm probably going to be watching this week-end also. I allow "myself" to watch because I'm hoping that something positive (offensively) will happen and it never does. I'm soo sorry, please forgive me (myself. I feel much better now.....until 4pm sunday.... that is.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 4, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Sheriff Gonna Getcha $$$. And not run?

Posted by: oneft2dice | November 4, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Sheriff Gonna Getcha $$$. And not run his legs, just his mouth?

Posted by: oneft2dice | November 4, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

don't be such a kissazz portis, snyder didn't get you the line you needed to get your yards. he should be blamed-not you!!

Posted by: astroman215aolcom | November 4, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 4, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse
-----------------

Wait...you're serious? That makes it even funnier.

You still think this is solely about the record? We've been through sorry Skins teams before, and no one talked about jumping ship, we still had the teams' back. We've given Snyder 10 years to try and work through how to be a professional football team owner, and his experiments have indeed run the gamut. Now he's repeating history (hiring consultants like it's Office Space, really?), and when the fans wanna express their displeasure about it, he censors them? We're supposed to support that? C'mon dude, how many times you gonna let someone p*ss on your head and tell you it's raining before you do something about it or walk away?

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 4, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Danny Boy, quit masquerading as Incognito00, we know it's really you!

Posted by: Sirius2 | November 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, Santana

So if anybody disagrees with you, or complains, they are not a true fan. I didn't know you were Republican

Posted by: rmcpks73 | November 4, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

With all the money that Portis and Moss make....i think they should spend a little and enroll in english classes. How the hell they ever got through 4 years of college is amazing.

Posted by: nicebuz | November 4, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

There's the problem, Snyder is not your boss!!!

Your 1st boss is your position coach, then the O-Coordinator and then the head coach! There are other admin folks like player personnel or GM before you encounter way before you should even come close to thinking the Pres/CEO is your boss.

I have managed million dollars projects and the VP/principal for our office did not even know my name. I had 2 people over me even before I got to my group director.

Posted by: oknow1 | November 4, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

jesus, with every Redskins player that comes out with a comment, I dislike more and more of them. First it was that idiot rookie who tweeted something, then it was Cooley, then JC, then its Portis as usual toeing the company line, now its Moss? Can't these idiots see that the main criticism is heaped not at them but at the miserable ambiguously gay duo of Snyderrato?

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 4, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Clinton.... oh how the English language suffers at your tongue.... Tana, from the "U", just does not get it. Fans have a right to boo and turn their backs because they pay for the tickets! Snyder's apology is hollow. In his statement, he mentions nothing of personal accountability. I hope for the team's sake he has an "ah-ha" moment like Ted Leonsis.

Posted by: skinfannomore | November 4, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nicebuz | November 4, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Its the "U"...they all sound like that from over there. Ever hear Shockey talk?

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

This whole thing has been scripted. What a freakin joke. Only one way to go:

Posted by: hessone | November 4, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention: FIRE VINNY!!

Posted by: skinfannomore | November 4, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Its the "U"...they all sound like that from over there. Ever hear Shockey talk?

Shockey is a wanna-be.

Posted by: hessone | November 4, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

TURN IN YOUR REDSKINS CARDS, AND THEN GET LOST!!!!!

Posted by: frmi | November 4, 2009 3:30 PM

Another slang interpeter tryimg to impress us. Go away you moron. nOW LET'S TALK SOME FOOTBALL.

Posted by: hessone | November 4, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I wanna a card!!!!

I wanna to see maryjane legalized.

I wanna clone Jack Cooke.

I wanna some Ben's Chili!

Posted by: GoRobGordon7 | November 4, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Go Robby Gordon Baja 1000! November 19-22!

Posted by: GoRobGordon7 | November 4, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Clinton,
If you really believed it, You wouldn't have to say it.

Posted by: dashriprock | November 4, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The only way this team will ever win is to get a GENERAL MANAGER! FIRE VINNY! He is not and never will be a GM! BTW Portis has the owner in his hip pocket and that will never work! Jason Cambell is not and never will be a west coast system QB!! Why do other teams bring in young talent and let them play but the Redskins let the young players that they bring in sit on the bench? They have no faith in them to do good! FIRE VINNY and all will be forgiven!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | November 4, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yo Mr. Snidely, Sir, Your Anus...

Flush the toilet already!

Clinton thinks it's the team jacuzzi.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 4, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse