Portis on Shanahan, 'star treatment,' Campbell

Clinton Portis had lots -- and lots and lots -- to say during his weekly appearance this afternoon on ESPN 980's "The John Thompson Show."

He had rave reviews of Mike Shanahan, defended his relationship with owner Daniel Snyder, had a few choice words to say about teammates upset with the "star treatment" some receive at Redskins Park and seemed to lambast quarterback Jason Campbell's leadership abilities.

First, the health update: Portis says he'll visit with specialists for a final time next Tuesday. He said he feels good and is ready to start preparing for next season.

Okay, now the fireworks. You might recall that some Redskins complained Monday that some players seem to operate under a different set of rules. No one named names, but it wasn't hard to read between the lines. In fact, even Portis seemed to know who they were talking about.

"I really don't know what they said, but I think it's always been an inconsistency. As far as myself, you would think out of everything that came out, probably the first name that come to mind would be me," Portis said today. "I never missed curfew, I ain't never left the hotel. I never did any of that. I think the only thing we did, there was a group of us that set up and played poker, and they broke that game up at 11 o'clock."

He didn't mention practice habits or team meetings. But even if his teammates aren't taking veiled shots specifically at him, Portis takes issue with the fact that any complaints are being lodged publicly.

"Even if that was happening, they should've addressed them players, address them
players at that time," he said. "Don't wait for the season over to say that's what the problem was. They could've came out and addressed those players and tried to stop it. But you wait until the season's over and then it's like a tell-all book came out. But it's too late then."

Much later in the interview, while discussing Snyder -- which we'll get to later -- Portis came back to the issue, which sure feels like a sore point for the running back right now.
"I know I never went to the media with anything but my issues," he said. "I never came to anybody and said, well, this is going on, that's going on, this is going on. Somehow, some way, everything goes and was leaked into the media and is the topic of conversations and you got so many anonymous guys talking about, 'Well, this ain't right," and don't put their name behind it. Like, take credit for what you say."

For the record, most of the quotes out of Monday's locker room about discipline problems had names attached, primarily to Rock Cartwright, Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn.

Portis was asked why he isn't a team captain, and Portis took that ball and ran with it, ultimately laying a few shots on Campbell, the man whom teammates elected offensive captain before the season. So, why Campbell and not Portis?

"I wonder the same thing," Portis said. "And no disrespect to Jason, but everybody in that locker room can tell you, you'll never see Jason mad, you'll never see Jason's tempo change, you'll never see Jason get mad.

"He going to get up, dust himself off, he going to give you everything he got. But as a leader, you never heard -- it was always, 'Jason couldn't take control of the huddle,' or he didn't do this or he didn't do that. That wasn't Jason's character.

"I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.' The only person I think would do it is London Fletcher."

Co-host Doc Walker asked Portis if he'd like to be offensive captain next season.

"I used to want to be that guy, but I don't," Portis said. "The guy that I am in 2010 is about me going to work, getting my job done and going home happy. All of that other stuff, trying to be the captain, trying to be the leader, all of the stuff changing, taking control of everybody else -- I can't control nobody else. I don't want to try to control them. Everybody got they own opinion. Everybody going to do they own thing.

"In 2010, what Clinton Portis need to do and want to do is go out and give everything I got on that field, lead by example and go home with a smile on my face."

So, at least Portis is smiling.

We'll get to Portis's comments on Snyder and some of his thoughts on Shanahan a bit later.

By Rick Maese  |  January 5, 2010; 4:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davis wonders how Redskins' offense will change
Next: Portis: Shanahan 'perfect guy for the job'

Comments

HEY PORTIS, YOUR A BUMB!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 5, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Clinton being Clinton, again

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 5, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

is that like a BAMF?

Posted by: Dorf | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Poison strikes again.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

This is the same reason people hate on me...

You call it like it is, and watch the haters shine....

Good for him...he held his tongue....Now JC and Rock come out with this and that. Now he is trying to balance the half stories being told....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

What a jackass. We'll never get anywhere with him on the team.

Posted by: cacla | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I will listen to Portis when he practices everyday and does his job. He didn't do that this year. I would love to see him go. But, we have to too much invested in him.

D-bag.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Portis..leaders don't scream at their coaches or call them "geniuses" in the media. Leaders like Campbell lead by example! please leave our redskins & go to the raiders! Hate you.

Posted by: jimboy435 | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody going to do they own thing."

by Clinton Poison

-----------

Then go do your thing on another team already.

Jeeesh!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The sooner that Portis leaves Ashburn, the better. He's one of those players who is just a negative influence on the team.

Posted by: jiacinto | January 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Trying to decipher Portis comments makes me feel concussed.

Posted by: skinswest | January 5, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Clinton, quit playing football. You are not needed any longer. Oh, and go back to "The U" and learn English.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I have no issues with what Portis is saying. A lot of it has been mentioned on this blog (JC not a leader). He's right to say if you have an issue discuss in house, don't run to the media (Cartwright..can't wait for that snitch to get cut). This team has way too many cry babies and no one strong enough to express themselves to the coaches.

Posted by: TWISI | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Guys had better get their finger pointing done now, because the culture that let that happen is about to change ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

C.Portis's antics used to be amusing. He has never been a leader just a big mouth. The bottom line is he has always been overrated as a player. He is a GOOD back at best, nothing spectacular. Since we can't unload his ungodly contract. I hope next season he just shuts up and plays.

Posted by: dlsolomon40 | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody got they own opinion. Everybody going to do they own thing."

That's the entire problem CP, this has been a collection of individuals for far too long, it hasn't been a team since the year ST21 was killed (RIP) and that only lasted 6 weeks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 5, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

dude, you just showed why you are not viewed as a leader by your own teammates. try being a professional like jason campbell for once in your life. i hope they can figure out some way to get rid of you.

Posted by: phk28 | January 5, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"All of that other stuff, trying to be the captain..."

---------

Press *PURGE*

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall many reports from inside the org about JC not being a leader I see a bunch of guys who feel leaderless from their couches, I am probably wrong but who inside the team has said JC was not a leader.

Notice that he ran to the media rather than confront those players in house. Pot Kettle Pot.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

When Tiki left NY Eli stepped into the leader role. Lets hope the same happens here.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | January 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan to Portis:

I know you and what you have BEEN able to do in this league. In 2010, it is what you ARE able to do in 2010. If you prepare yourself right and are the best RB, you'll play. If not, you won't.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

He might be in the record books but he's one of my least favorite record setting Skins of all time . . . what spoiled, rich, jerk.

Posted by: kmag1 | January 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Take the cap hit for 2010 and get rid of him.

We need guys who play all out, want to lead, and want to win first. These are traits that win football games.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan to Portis:

This is an uncapped year. We can cut you and not have any cap ramifications.

So... bye.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 5, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

So first he says players shouldn’t take their gripes to the media, to keep things inhouse, and then he says he never went to the media with anything but his own issues……I understand that he never really trashed any of his teammates in the media (just his coaches) and only called the owner to get Sellars pulled from the game, but how does he think what he did is any “holier” than what these other guys are doing?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 5, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

So tired of Portis' diatribes and ramblings. I appreciated the efforts in '05 and '08, but it time to take out the trash of this organization.

And if our new leader Shanahan puts a ban on players having "shows" on radio I will stand and applaud.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 5, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Also can't Porit speak in basic English and grammar?

Posted by: jiacinto | January 5, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Also can't Portis speak in basic English and grammar?

Posted by: jiacinto | January 5, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

CP talking third person gotta love it. However, he needs to go. Don't need him in the locker room.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 5, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Very unfortunate.

Will have to listen to replay in the vault (sometimes wapo spins to get people riled up), but if it's anything like this transcript, we are probably better off without him.

Posted by: AdamCr | January 5, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

4th, I'll give you that, you held it down when it was you vs. the entire Mf'ing board.

Props to Portis not taking Rock's little b*tch shots lightly.

And Maese, never heard of you, but how is Portis taking shots at Campbell? Because he was asked a question about being a team captain?

While I agree that it's probably not cool to be chummy with your owner, I think a lot of guys are jealous, simple as that. That's why the dude gets hated on so much. I believe him about what he said he didn't do because Portis strikes me as a person who's honest -- too honest at times.

I will like to hear the interview for myself before I pass judgement on Portis' comments. Something tells me he didn't just come out and use Campbell's name, it was probably asked in a question.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 5, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and go back to "The U" and learn English.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Clinton doesn't have to learn English. He can just let the money talk.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or did I miss the part where he took a shot at JC? Maybe it sounded like that on the radio or something but I didn't hear him say anything bad about JC.

Looks like ol' Reid is stoking the fires, stirring the pot and placing new batteries in folks backs for hot stories...

Posted by: priceisright | January 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad a little bit of Ray Lewis' work ethic and approach to the game didn't trickle down to Portis.

Portis gives his all on the field... but he sucks as a teammate.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Portis!!

You are a flat out hypocrite. In the past you have called out your O line and have run to the owner like a little SNITCH!!!!

I have never been a fan of yours and this article proves why!

I hope you are gone next year!!

Posted by: charlie19771205 | January 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I love that they write his quotes exactly as he says them instead of trying to clean them up to be more coherent. Let's only hope that when his playing days are over, he doesn't end up on a pregame show somewhere. I can't stand listening to that dude and his act.

He's sucking up to Shanny to try and save his little butt. Shanny's first act as coach should be to get rid of his ass. He is a cancer to this team. We cannot afford negative types under the new regime.

Posted by: SnyderMustGo1 | January 5, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and go back to "The U" and learn English.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | January 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Clinton doesn't have to learn English. He can just let the money talk.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunate, but true.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | January 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The guy who ran to the media to call out his coach and calls himself the assistant GM because of his relationship with management has no room to call anyone out about talking to the media.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | January 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 |
------
I might not be remembering right, but didn't he also trash his o-line several times to the media?

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Props to Portis?

No thanks.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiacinto | January 5, 2010 4:27 PM |

Say it in words that Portis can understand: "Sooner Portis leave Ashburn, better. He be one of them players what is just negative influence."

Posted by: League-Source | January 5, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"You call it like it is"

Or calls it like he sees it, which is through the Sherrif Gonn' Getcha goggles.

Portis is trying to save his own @ss right now, and it's nothing more than that.

Portis thinks being a leader is going to coaches and telling them what the 'players' want. And by that, he means going to the RB coach and pushing him to bench Mike Sellers in the middle of the game. Yep, because that's what the 'players' want. That's being a 'leader'.

Portis has worn out his welcome on this team. It would be one thing if he was actually producing. Funny how all this comes out only when Portis starts sh*tting the bed. Once he receives an ounce of criticism, the blame flies to each and every other party possible.

No Clinton, it's not your fault. We know, JC isn't a leader, Mike Sellers can't block, your line even with a healthy Samuels and Randy Thomas couldn't get push, Zorn and Smith benched you for unknown reasons, and none of it had to do with the fact that you could barely scavenge above 3 YPC, while 4 of your backups immediately stepped in and outproduced you.

Sorry CP, your time here is done.

Posted by: psps23 | January 5, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

first to say beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | January 5, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

alex###, the cat's out the bag dude, or however the saying goes.

Why should Portis yield the same type of courtesy or whatever and keep it in house, when Cartwright and others have already let it be known through the media?

And for the record, the thing with Zorn was provoked by Zorn himself. Some of you need to go and thoroughly look over that spat again.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 5, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

One thing for certain,,, his pockets be straight.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Shanny will change the everyone do there own thing around here.

Uncapped year you dump Portis in a minute.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 5, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Rock, Cooley, Wynn, Sellers, and unnamed sources all have called out teammates and Zorn and have all gotten a free pass on it.

As soon as CP speaks he's a locker room cancer.

At least he signs his name to everything he has to say.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 5, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I knew as soon as I read the part criticizing "tell-all" teammates that he would end up doing the same...

What is Shanahan gonna do now? He's ON the Redskins, so he has no one to fleece with a Portis trade.

Posted by: peauxsucent | January 5, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Can't speak proper English, but boy does he ever give the low down on Jason Clownble.

Translation: The guy can't lead, can't throw, can't win.

Cut Jason Clownble and keep Southeast Jerome!

Posted by: dc1020008 | January 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I was talking about me Chia, not you.

Here: have a tissue. You're mascara is running form all the crying over the Jim Zorn departure still.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I think things will be very different with a coach who is not "medium". Zorn was a nice guy as the media has said over and over but he never inspired the team or gave them direction. All these stories coming out now are just like 2 sides of any story, the truth is somewhere in the middle, all of them have a little truth. Hopefully the next coach can unite them either by love or hate but i hope they will be united.

Posted by: Tappahannock | January 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

guess cp thought campbell wasn't being a leader when he didn't get "mad" at his o-line for poor blocking or receivers for dropping passes.

Posted by: phk28 | January 5, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Dear Clinton,

Thanks for all the hard work in between the tackles.

I was there at FedEX to see your first carry as a Redskin, 9/12/04 vs. Tampa Bay.

Nice run!

It's obvious, however, you can no longer make cuts in the open field. Plus, you've lost your burst. Two bad ankles will do that to a man, and all those concussions, and now this.

You're ancient for a RB.

Play nice and the new regime may keep you around for another year.

If not, see ya...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

CP is a character but so was Riggins. Both are free spirits and CP laid it all on the line until this season. Some truth to what he said, but we really need to see a change from the prima donna attitude if we are going to get anywhere. That may or may not happen under Shanahan.

Posted by: gbraxton7 | January 5, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Portis is still a good back up RB, a no 2 behind Spiller.

Posted by: abxinc | January 5, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

People here are too quick to forget that Clinton Portis has been the heart and soul of this team since he's been here, and the most potent weapon on the offense. He has absolutely left it all out of the field in every game he's played for the Redskins. Yes, he's quirky and a bit of a prima donna, but I don't think he's anywhere near the cancer that some folks here seem to think, and I also think that he'll be back in form next year. Don't forget, of all of these backs we had playing this year, CP still led the team in total rushing yards even though he played half a season, and he led in YPC. Given the magnitude of the other problems (O-line, secondary, and maybe QB) the next coach needs to address, CP should be far from the top of the list.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 5, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

I don't think the other players would care if he were "chummy" with Snyder and performed to the level deserving of all the perks that he has been getting from upper management. The problem is that they see this one player getting all these perks and not having to meet the same standards of everyone else.

Posted by: jiacinto | January 5, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Portis said. People are trying to throw each other under the bus after the season and he didn't initiate it - he is just responding to it. JC has not shown himself to be a leader, so why is he our captain? Portis is right that there is not a leader on the offensive side of the ball. Portis has always given everything he's got on the football field - he runs hard and is one of the best pass blockers in the league. He has had a bad season, but our O-line stunk this year.

Posted by: BT23 | January 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the thought that someone might lead through their actions rather than with there mouth just seems to get lost on these idiots. No wonder the team stinks; not only can this guy barely speak english, but he acknowledges that the players in their huddle are too stupid to listen to the QB.

Good luck to Shanahan. He's going to need it.

Posted by: hacksaw | January 5, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"...Clinton being Clinton, again..."

Yes, but the difference this time is that Clinton is doing his own sucking.

I guess he decided to cut the middle man out of the process.

And I don't mean Pres. Clinton, btw.

Or do I.....

(Bhew-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA...)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 5, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Comparing Portis to Riggo is a joke. What has Portis ever won? It's easy to be the so called "heart and soul" of a group of selfish vastly overpaid and ultimately losing series teams. Quick, name the last significant play Portis has made? Should have kept Champ B.

Posted by: toddm991 | January 5, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"...campbell wasn't being a leader when he didn't get "mad" at his o-line for poor blocking or receivers for dropping passes."

I thought not showing up your teammates and refusing to respond to the irrational behavior of ownership were leaderlike qualities.

So much for 'grace under pressure.'

I guess now it's 'no class, show your azz'.

And if that's leadership, I'll stand outside the huddle, thank you.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 5, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

This idiot needs to take some english classes ... what the hell kind of a job can he get when he retires? Changing tires.

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 5, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Clinton has actually articulated something clearly, albeit something we've known for a while: his selfishness on the field and desire to do his own thing. There is absolutely no team mentality or desire to hold others around him accountable for their performance.
If this is your team's "star", how do you ever expect the team to come together as a team; how do you ever expect them to claw out of the cellar.
Get rid of him and get some "character" guys.

Posted by: bezzeb | January 5, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm so over Portis. He can be annoyed that others aren't specifically uttering his name but he has no problem slamming Campbell personally. This is precisely my problem with Portis - a walking double standard why anyone would have the nerve to point it out.

Okay - Portis. You want respect. Even when hurt, get your butt on the field. Walk through if you can't run through. Get dirty in preseason and in practice with your lineman who somehow manage to work better when they have a sense what their running back is going to do. You want respect? Shut the hell up. You aren't an owner, a manager, or a coach. You get paid to play. And you get paid really well to do it!

And while I don't find Jason Campbell to be THE ANSWER to any question, he does do more than Portis does any day. Campbell gets better - gets hit harder - and does it with his mouth shut even when he has MORE reason to whine than Sheriff I'm a Freaking Idiot.

I do find it interesting that the highest paid offensive and defensive players are the ones with the most cancer cells on the team.

Posted by: laserwizard | January 5, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

If CP thinks he's gonna get special treatment (or, more accurately, CONTINUE to get special treatment) just cuz one of his BOYZ, Shanny, is the new sherriff in town, I think he's gonna be in for a very rude awakening. Shanny knows that we need to win, and soon, and he knows that CP ain't anywhere near what he was when Shanny had him in Denver.

CP's best move right now might be to shut the hell up and get outa dodge, and then get his agent to find him another team that would put up with his junk for a lot of money -- if he can find a team like that. Or maybe he should just move to New York with Agent Zero and they can put on their combined clown show up there???

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | January 5, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"JC has not shown himself to be a leader, so why is he our captain? Portis is right that there is not a leader on the offensive side of the ball."

This is like saying because everyone voted for the president, he's not the leader as he's not shown himself to be.

And someone remind Portis that his position is an offensive position, too.

Perhaps he doesn't get that his not being voted captain is something more than a suggestion or insult.

I guess he feels guys who regularly practice are supposed to select as a leader someone who doesn't.

This whole episode only proves why guaranteed NFL contracts make sense only to the player and agent who want one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 5, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't want to be captain, doesn't want to be a leader.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | January 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Reading this piece took me over 10 minutes. My GOD. Can this idiot speak English. Tell you what, let's just cut the moron and send him back to 4th grade. This is pathetic. This guy gets paid millions!? This guy has his own hour on the radio!?

At least Jason can speak English in the huddle. Moron.

Posted by: blanknerc | January 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

So you don't miss practice?

You don't have a direct line to Snyder?

You don't fall down or run into your linemen?

But you dog your QB after saying folks should go to that person if they have a problem. Did JC dog YOU publicly? So now you're a hypocrite and a locker room cancer and an owner's pet.

See, all this back and forth can be solved rather easily: Send all the primadonnas packing and get the lunchpail carriers.

Matter of fact, send all of em to Buffalo with TO so they all can complain in unison...But in Buffalo, nobody hears you or cares.

Posted by: kahlua87 | January 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Please release this cancer.

Posted by: terpwiz | January 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

CP, We've said it before (I think my name says it all), but please leave....JUST LEAVE. You're a cancer to this team and unless your are cut out, the patient is going to die a slow, painful death.

Posted by: goodbye26 | January 5, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: goodbye26 | January 5, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: goodbye26 | January 5, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: goodbye26 | January 5, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Don't let the door hit you in the rear Clinton!

Oh, and it's "THEIR"...got it? you uneducated buffoon.

Posted by: yampaco | January 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Q: What do you call 53 millionaires sitting around watching a football game?

A: The Washington Redskins.

Keep pointing fingers guys, that'll turn things around.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | January 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Portis is so full of crap.

He knows that under Cerrato and Snyder that any player that came out and criticized the treatment Portis and Haynesworth was getting would be ostracized and put on the next boat out of town just as the team turned on Brian Mitchell and others over the years.

There isn't a third string running back or backup DL in the NFL that is going to take on a team's 'megastar' and make an issue of his practice habits and conditioning.

For someone to take on Portis publicly they would have to be a player of great stature with the team and someone with a long-term contract who was secure.

If Albert Haynesworth was anywhere near the player and person that his role model, Reggie White, was then perhaps the Redskins would have had that player to stand up to Portis and call him out.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 5, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

CP, We've said it before (I think my name says it all), but please leave....JUST LEAVE. You're rectal cancer to this team and unless your are cut out, the patient is going to die a slow, painful death.

Posted by: goodbye26 | January 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Q: What do you call 53 millionaires sitting around watching a football game?

A: The Washington Redskins.

Keep pointing fingers guys, that'll turn things around.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | January 5, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Clinton - that leadership thing ain't all it's cracked up to me - just as JEFF GEORGE. Clinton Portis was a gifted running back who had a chip on his shoulder the size of his talent. He is what we used to call back in the day - a punk. I hope one of the first moves by the new HC is to send Portis off, maybe back to English classes and manners classes. Jason Campbell is twice the man Clinton Portis is or ever will be. I'd get rid of all the complainers and whiners, starting with CP. If Portis does stay, I hope the new HC works his butt off in training camp. If you don't address these problems, we will wind up like the Wizards.

Posted by: bfjam | January 5, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Portis clearly needs a lession in speaking English but he is right about one thing.. Campbell was no leader...

Posted by: sovine08 | January 5, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

is this guy's first name clinton, or is it me-me? he is the very essence of selfishness. there is no way this guy is a team player.

not sure which is funnier. the way he speaks ebonic,s or the fact that neither walker nor thompson have any sack to call him out.

Posted by: dgaudy | January 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Portis is just like Arenas .. they were popular athletes here in DC at a certain period of time but it is safe to say that both have worn out their welcome. Clinton can't even speak English!!! How in the heck did he get into the U, or even graduate high school??? Oh wait, cause he is a star athlete!!!

Posted by: vegascapsfan1 | January 5, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vegascapsfan1 | January 5, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dgaudy | January 5, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

not sure which is funnier. the way he speaks ebonics or the fact that neither walker nor thompson have any sack to call him out.

Posted by: dgaudy | January 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Heart and soul of this team my foot! The idiot needs to go! Any time that a person is the owners favorite it creates problems for the hole team! No one else on this team could get away with the things that this idiot does or says! Calls out his lineman, calls out Sellers, talks about his coach on air! Just because his pockets are strait he thinks he is the man who can do all and say all to whoever he wants! Not a team player and never will be! BTW there are many players who can block from his position that would love to take his place! Like Mr. Allen said, Things are going to change! Please get rid of this self centered butt wipe!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 5, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 5, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 5, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 5, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I used to like Portis and respected him for his tough, hardnosed play on the field. He's proven to be a cancer in the locker room and no longer is a producer on it. Does he really think a tough coach like Shanahan will want him on the roster? In an uncapped year, Shanahan will get rid of him just like when he traded him in 2002. There's no way his act will continue in D.C. even if he's buddies with Snyder.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 5, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I listened to this interview 'live' on the John Thompson Show and it amazes me that;

John Thompson and Doc Walker suck up to this idiot no end. The tone of the interview was pandering at best. They never once during the season ask Portis ANY tough questions. They had Portis on the ropes and didn't follow up his answers by saying directly who and what the players, who did attach their names to their comments, said about Clinton Portis. Their comments were directed at players who missed practice and meetings and still were allowed to play the next game. THAT'S WHAT CLINTON PORTIS DID ALL SEASON!

And Portis said that they should have confronted him directly?!? Why? so he could go whine to Snyder like the little illiterate BEEOTCH that he is.

CLINTON PORTIS IS THE FIRST PLAYER THAT THE SKINS NEED TO DISMISS WITH THE QUICKS!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | January 5, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

clinton tortoise...please GTFO...I am going to do my own thing ...yea like run and immediately fall down and then give yourself props for playing...what an ***hole

Posted by: Mark99 | January 5, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

hey Portis, don't say anything about Jason Campbell!! While Jason isn't the greatest
QB, he took alot more of a beating than you did this season!! Campbell actually finished the season when he could have quit.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | January 5, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I never felt cheated as a Skins fan watching No 26 he brought it every single down... running, blocking, and catching the ball...

I like when folks are mad, it means that they still care.

Football is a business, if his wheels are still there, No. 26 still has a lot to contribute.

How any real Skins fan can call out No. 26 is beyond me... he gave 100% on every down...

CP 26., thanks! If you end up not being here in 2010, good luck. As a fan, I never felt cheated whenever you lined up to play for my beloved Skins.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | January 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

How dare you say anything about JC.

You sir are a HAS BEEN POISONOUS SNAKE, Shuckin' and Jivin', cross dressing confused young man..

And by the way son, you's a BUM!

Somebody please show this bum out!
Leave. We don't want your bum behind no-mo.

Posted by: Tobor58 | January 5, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

It seems that Portis is assuming that all of the "negative" stuff coming forth from the other guys, i.e., Rock, Wynn, Daniels, is only directed at him. Obviously Portis is probably a fraction of the problem, but I was under the impression that there were other guys that they were calling out. Possibly some of the younger guys who haven't developed the necessary self-leadership skills as a professional in terms of preparation. My concern here is that Portis draws all the smoke to himself, thus drawing attention away from what really needs to happen--that is, our younger players take greater responsibility as professionals to be the BEST that they can be. I think the "ELDERS" also had in mind such players and not only Portis.

Re: JC, I understand the some of what Portis is trying to communicate with the lack of emotions displayed by Campbell. Personally I've been hoping the best for JC since drafting him in '05. It would do him well to enlist the service of a "leadership coach" to help identify his weaknesses and strengths as a leader so that he can maximize his talents. Even though it may not come "natural" for him to step out of his shell to address teammates and "leadership moments," he needs to push through the barriers that would inhibit him from doing so.

As a leadership development consultant, I meet very few people, if any, who truly have the complete package. We all have areas that can impede our leadership potential from being maximized; therefore, it's wise to seek counsel from others that can help us to become all that we're capable of becoming.

Posted by: humen8r | January 5, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: humen8r | January 5, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

CP is a total fool. Please go away.

Posted by: ML1001 | January 5, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Can someone... ANYone... please translate:

"Everybody going to do they own thing"

Really. Exactly what does this mean? Break it down for me, ebonics-to-english style.

Thanks.

Posted by: fargincorksucker | January 5, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

CP is a total fool. Please go away.

Posted by: ML1001 | January 5, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The wheels have finally come off the cart. Now we have a glimpse of what Zorn had to keep stitched together every week. What an embarrasment - just about rock bottom. Divisive ownership, management and players. It will take more than Shanahan to clean this up - unless he has a big broom for the owner and his enablers.

Posted by: i155133 | January 5, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

All of this crap is worthless anyway. The whole organization is blown up. Nothing is going to look the same next year. So, who cares what players say this year? Half of them are going to be gone anyway. I just hope something goes better this year organizationally. If this experiment blows up, how long will it be before the skins are good again?

Posted by: PASkinsFan1 | January 5, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Can someone... ANYone... please translate:

"Everybody going to do they own thing"

Thanks.

Posted by: fargincorksucker | January 5, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Clit Potis say how can I be captain? I work hard til season start then I injured and tired to play

Posted by: pquick6165 | January 5, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's a comment for the masses. I am not even going to read this story because I have absolutely no respect for Portis. I wish he would just STFU and go play somewhere else!

Posted by: dmr0834 | January 5, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pquick6165 | January 5, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

This overpaid under performing jackass can't be shown the door soon enough. John Thompson had it right today: 30 is the new 18.

Posted by: Solon | January 5, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Also, Portis the Tortoise is washed up, so I guess he needs to start his career in radio off with a bang.

Posted by: Solon | January 5, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Another wonderful endorsement for the University of Miami!

Posted by: peej9999 | January 5, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Well his grammar sure sounds like he is a product of "the U"

Posted by: egrib | January 5, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to start playing poker w/ Gilbert Arenas....

Posted by: randysbailin | January 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"It's All About CP."

Musings from a future 2nd-string Halfback.

Of course he doesn't want to be team captain; Clinton isn't that stupid. He knows team captains can't be the players who don't practice...say what you will about Campbell--at least he was there taking his lumps, like a man, and not going on radio every damn week whining and moaning, "Mememmeeee".

Posted by: vscorpio30 | January 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot. Adios Muchacho!!

Posted by: pwflew1 | January 5, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

First one cut by Shanny.

I guarantee it.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 5, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I hate Clinton Portis!!! anyone knows if he has a twitter account if so I will find him and follow him everyday just to tell him how much he freakin sucks and how better we are without him...Portis u are the NFL's version of the biggest loser..i hate to say this but that concussion he sustained served him right..jackass

Posted by: robbkels | January 5, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robbkels | January 5, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

portis is way off base with his comments. for him to say he's never gone to the media to call out his teammates means he's got a serious bout of amnesia. it wasn't long ago that he called out his entire o line on the radio. what he said may have been true but if players go to other players to air the shyt out, why didn't he talk to the 5 guys responsible for opening the running lanes for him? and it's funny that while noone mentioned his name outright, he automatically assumed that the comments were in reference to him. "if the shoe fits, wear it.." if portis really gave a shyt about the team, why wasn't he practicing w/ the team? i don't think he's lost a step but he's so far out of sync w/ his o linemen, he doesn't even know when to make his cut and turn it upfield. i started losing respect for portis when he tried to get sellers demoted. in watching games where the two of them are in the backfield, i've noticed that portis rarely followed sellers thru the hole. he then dares to say sellers isn't blocking for him. portis is to the redskins what t.o. was to pretty much every team he's played on. the shame is that t.o. actually makes people worry when he's on the field. i hope allen is observing all the bullshyt because portis is part of the "status quo" that got zorn fired. the funny part is, portis is heavily endorcing shanahan to be the team coach but shanahan will bench him the moment he decides to go directly to snyder when he wants to have his way. it was serve snyder well to talk to the entire team and specify that no player is to communicate w/ him at all regarding team issues...no player is to communicate directly with bruce allen unless the communication is coming from their agent. i can't speak up for portis any longer.

Posted by: charronegro1971 | January 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Some of you guys need to read the entire Rock interview in the whole context. He was asked what was needed from a new coach, and he answered leadership and discipline. He then talked about certain players being treated differently, never giving specific names--funny how you all just know he's talking about Portis, and perhaps fat Albert! He was stating how the COACHES treated them differently! Anyway, in Portis' interview it sounded like a lot of sour grapes to me. The TEAM voted Campbell a captain, he didn't appoint himself, you idiot! What does that tell you? It will be interesting to see what happens when Shanny arrives. Remember, Shanny felt he could succeed without Portis before, and he did from a running game perspective. With 2010 being an uncapped year, there is no cap hit taken by releasing him, or even trading him for say a 2nd, or 3rd round pick. maybe the right team would be willing to eat that contract for the uncapped year!? I, for one, hope JC stays, which as it looks may be the case. Even if they draft a QB, he won't be ready right away, so JC could play right away, and if he succeeds, then you have the same situation San Diego had with Brees, and Rivers--seems that worked out for everybody! If they get 2 or 3 new O-linemen this offseason, and maybe draft an exciting RB, who knows how good JC could be. Maybe he'll never be an elite QB, but he's also never been given the right situation to succeed like the QBs in the league who are elite!!

Posted by: jwat2410 | January 5, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have a history of letting young quarterbacks get the crap beat out of them. For JC's sake, please acquire some damn offensive linemen. The guy is class and could be a consistent, quality qb in the proper setting. As an Eagle's fan I hate saying this, but the 'Skins deserve much more than money thrown at problems that don't work out. Also, I wonder how successful the new coach will be without a franchise qb.
Now to Mr. Portis. He is a complete and total embarrassment. He destroys the team's chemistry which is bad enough, but the clown obviously doesn't know class when he sees it. Speaking of class, does it sound like Portis ever went to one? My God. Where did he NOT learn to speak English? Did he have English teachers in elementary, middle or high school? Based on his inability to speak basic English, shouldn't the NCAA put the U put on probation for calling this guy a STUDENT athlete? As an African American, I am calling on others to write this guy and plead with him to get help with his affliction or to hire an interpreter.

Posted by: 4Site | January 5, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

So I guess the rumor that Clinton Portis was being signed by the University of Pennsylvania to run their English department is completely false?

Posted by: grandstrand | January 5, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Clinton enough is enough sir, you haven't done sh** for this team in oh forever,shut up,get out have a very nice day and live a nice retirement on the money you stole from having your nose in Snyder's---well you know.The respect for your toughness is gone,as a fool I stood up for you now we all know that there is but one person in "your world" "YOU". The coach you are currently brown nosing traded your butt,and with no cap next year well--- SEE YA,what a team player,man you don't give a rat's a** about anyone but you. What a sorry excuse for a football player. Larry Brown would out tough you TODAY,since everybody you play with is so beneath you it's time you stopped bringing yourself down to our level,if there is any justice in this world you will be on the first train out. And to think how many times I argued for you,this makes me ILL. Dogging Jason, the guy on his back,getting his a** kicked for 2 solid years! You have got to be kidding me,maybe if you picked up a blitz now and again---naaah that's beneath you. If you were half the man Jason was well you would be 1/2 A MAN. GET OUT!TAKE YOUR MONEY AND GO,DO NOT PASS GO,YOU'VE GOT YOUR $200 AND DON'T COME BACK,SHANAHAN DIDN'T WANT YOU THEN AND I HOPE HE DOESN'T WANT YOU NOW.GOOD RIDDANCE.

Posted by: mfowler1 | January 5, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

If only Portis could speak english he could at least do one thing well. He is done, not just as Redskin, but he will be a back-up at best somewhere else next year.

Posted by: bal503 | January 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

If it is an uncapped year, does that mean any team can absorb CPs salary without ramifications? If so, then why dont the Redskins just trade him for a 7th round draft choice and a bad of nuts instead of just cutting him outright. I am sure some team is willing to take a chance on him.

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 6, 2010 4:00 AM | Report abuse