Portis Practices, Is Ready to Go

Jason Reid has the injury report:

Running back Clinton Portis, who leads the NFL in rushing, participated fully in practice yesterday, Coach Jim Zorn said.

"He's getting better and better," Zorn said. "He did everything. He didn't do it at full speed, but he's been getting all the work done. The thing about Clinton, he's worked his body hard.

"It feels better, feels better, feels better, and now he's about to make it feel bad again. That's just the way it's going to be all season long. These running backs, they really sacrifice. They take the most pounding of anybody in the game."

Portis has 818 yards and also leads the league with an average of 23.3 rushes per game. He is averaging five yards a carry.

...

Left tackle Chris Samuels was excused from practice for personal reasons. "He kind of has a family issue," Zorn said. "Everything is fine with him, but there is a little family problem there that he has to deal with."

...

Cornerback Shawn Springs (calf) sat out practice all week and is not expected to play against the Lions, Zorn said. Springs missed Washington's season-opening loss to the New York Giants because of a shin injury, and he has not played in two of the last three games. "He's going to go on the trip," Zorn said. "He's one guy who's really not going to play."

...

Safety LaRon Landry (hamstring) sat out practice as a precaution. "LaRon, we just rested," Zorn said. "His hamstring is just a little bit uneasy, but he's likely to play."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 24, 2008; 3:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor to Have Second Procedure (Updated)
Next: TCCLS

Comments

First.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 24, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Karen your FIRST post is lame.

I'll try to rectify in a SECOND and start in the THIRD line of this post.

You should've said something like: Portis Practices, Is Ready to Go... FIRST!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Zen Master Injury Report --
Probable : L. Landry (Uneasy Hamstring)
: J. Taylor (Morose Calf)
: C. Griffin (Anxious Shoulder)
Out : S. Springs (Rambunctious Achilles)
: M. Kelly (Finical Meniscus)

Posted by: daggar | October 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Dauphine, you need to skip some words to give us that Jasno feel in your posts. Classics like "it's a lot blood and a lot less oozing", where you can fill in the blanks in so many ways, really encourage the 'active' reading that Hamster Nation has come to expect.

Posted by: daggar | October 24, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Knaeohe is on Windward Oahu

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 24, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Karen your FIRST post is lame.

I'll try to rectify in a SECOND and start in the THIRD line of this post.

You should've said something like: Portis Practices, Is Ready to Go... FIRST!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 24, 2008 3:42 PM

Couldn't have written it better myself....and couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Cobain | October 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a freakin BEAST.....I'd say the trade worked out to be worth the value....

Posted by: leevi98 | October 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Did you ever get any more info. as to why they are playing Jason Taylor when the pounding on his calf from playing is slowing the healing process? Is this something they think will linger all year, or will sitting out a few weeks get his calf totally healed?

Posted by: Rusty6392 | October 24, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Everybody knows CP won the FedEx ground award again right?

Posted by: craig2 | October 24, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Everybody knows CP won the MVP award right?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 24, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Sean (DC): Because the Skins have played so well, people seem to be ignoring the fact that Vinny Cerrato is still a moron. THREE wasted second round picks. Make that four with the mindless trade for Jason Taylor. Throw in a draft, which aside from Chris Horton, has produced nothing, and the Skins continue to have the worst personnel staff in the league. Will Vinny stay as long as Dan Snyder owns the team?

SportsNation Matt Mosley: La Canfora, stop posing as "Sean."

I didn't think the trade for Jason Taylor was mindless at the time. It seemed like something the Redskins desperately needed to do. I won't argue that the second-round picks have been a huge disappointment, but let's give them one more season before we start talking bust. And if a team's winning, the GM (or whatever they call Vinny) is usually safe.

Posted by: merajc86 | October 24, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

That 2nd round choice traded for Taylor is looking pretty good for Miami about now.

Posted by: thinker11 | October 24, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

M. Kelly has Financial Meniscus doesn't everyone?...in this economy?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I like my sandwich.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 24, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I like my sandwich.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 24, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

A sandwich so nice, I had to post it twice.

(Sorry. Darn loseable type.)

CP will rush for 3,000 yards this season. You just watch.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 24, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

No word on that, Rusty....of course, you know how NFL teams are. I'm sure they want Detroit to prepare to face Taylor.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

gweez (really? you're keeping that? you like this better than skinz or skinz111?), you do know that the good shtuff is not really a "drug" right? it's an all natural remedy and cures everything from a nervous tick to glaucoma (at least...and helps with cancer treatment)...only reason it's not legal is cuz it straightens wrong pockets...

i order you and icetotalpackage to change your name back goshdarnit!

what was i saying?...crap! red, you need to drop dmv from your name...please!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

okay...so we know lisa is out there right...blogging her guts out...BUT we don't know which blog/message board...so my guess is she's on extremeskins...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Lil Wayne Blog
Poor Dallas. And poor T.O. He's gonna quit. He takes a loss differently than anyone on that team. I think he has nightmares about losing or something, because he looks like he's about to cry after every game they lose. You see him over there on the sidelines sitting by himself just pouting like a little kid. Remember last year? "That's my quarterback, man." I love when any sports channel just brings that clip back for no reason. They always bring it back for nothing, just out of the blue "That's my quarterback, man." T.O. is an amazing talent but he's definitely a situation. But that's another difference between the old days and now. Back then there's no way you play football and then go cry on TV.

It ain't Brad Johnson's fault. Everything is falling apart. I think Brad came into a bad situation. To tell you the truth I think the team sucks. I think everybody is playing terribly right now in Dallas. Or at least they're not playing to the potential that we know they can play to. I don't think it's all on Brad Johnson even though he was terrible too.

Posted by: caese | October 24, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Or perhaps it's as simple as the fact that, in an emergency, he could indeed play.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This makes me more than just a little bit uneasy.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 24, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

interesting zorn is differentiating the RB position...i'm not criticizing. i'm just saying it's interesting. as long as it doesn't mess up the mojo with the rest of the team.

if you ask me? i say do exactly what they're doing to clinton...save him from preseason, and rest up during the week when in season.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinker11

Take this man to McDonald's and get him a whamburger and some french cries.

Deal had to be made... they didn't feel it was necessary to draft a DE in the early rounds, instead they drafted a TE... they did draft a DE in the 7th but he wasn't ready at the time to fullfill Daniels role at DE, so they made the trade... perhaps drafting a more NFL ready DE and a trade wouldn't have to be made, perhaps.

Didn't draft a DE until the 7th round in the draft.

Daniels & Buzbee tore ACLs on the first day of camp.

Must've felt that Rob Jackson was not or would not be ready to be a starter.

Traded a 2nd and a 6th(?) for Jason Taylor.

Jason Taylor gets injured in preseason against Carolina; hasn't been the same since.

that about right?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 24, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

4-12, yeah...i didn't like the LL part either...not a good feeling there...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

thinker11, think of it this way...if the skins win the superbowl...that 2nd rounder turns into an almost 3rd rounder...does that sound better?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

You cant hate on the Jay Tay...dude is crazy hurt....thats football....also I think he is emotionally energized being here so he plays at least next year, which means a lot of football left to be played.

Also if he is back and healthy around the time of the playoff run he could still pat dividends....

Also his heart has been huge trying to get on the field to help through some beastly injuries, so no one should question his desire.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 24, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

yeh - hammies for LaRon? Bad scene.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 24, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of LiL Wayne; He bought his mom a house right around the corner from our house(my wife and I)along with a new Mercedes here in the ATL,nice lady keeps to herself speaks to everybody.Sunday we need to take the Lions out early don't let em get any ideas that they can win, that will make easy for me to surf the other games, Bucs-Cowgirls,Cards-Panthers,Falcs-Eagles not mention my wife and daughter will be gone all day sunday. Let the games begin!!!!!!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 24, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Weezy da BOSS

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

". Did you see LenDale's touchdown this weekend? His little fat self ran 80 yards. They put the timer on SportsCenter and it took him like six seconds, but he made it and that's what matters. That guy is funny."

holy crap does Lil Wayne do blogs a lot? This is good stuff!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

from Weezy's previous blog :

"What up Weezy. What do you think about the Redskins start and how Coach Z and Jason Campbell are doing together?
First of all, Jason Campbell is on my fantasy team and he does wonders for me every week, so I love him. I love what the team is doing over there, too. Clinton Portis is amazing. Nobody on the other side of the field has the drive that he has, and that's why they can't stop him. I love his enthusiasm off and on the field, but that's another story. I also love the history of the Redskins. I've always enjoyed that, so it kind of makes me an automatic fan. I love Art Monk, Darrell Green, guys like that. That's a proud franchise."

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to "4th" that uh-oh about Laron Landry. I'm sure Zorn was trying to calm nerves, but when a guy goes from perfectly healthy (as far as we could tell) to "likely to play" - that makes me nervous.

Sort of like my 403B being perfectly fine one day, and then some talking head gets on the air and says it's "likely to be OK" down the road...

Posted by: p1funk | October 24, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

And the guy ripping the FO for the Taylor trade is a moron. That's like ripping the Pats for deciding to go with Brady this year...

Posted by: p1funk | October 24, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe not EXACTLY like it. Brady is still young, Taylor isn't. Brady has Stuperbowl rings, Taylor doesn't. Taylor spent the offseason in stressful competition. (I would definitely think he was using muscles while dancing he wasn't before ... lookit herschel walker & emmitt...) - and a separation from his one and only team up to that point.

I liked the trade given the necessity & love Taylor as a player... but he's no Tom Brady.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 24, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Rest Springs, Taylor, Griffin, Washington, Portis for the second half, and Moss too. We can/should/will beat the Lions without them and we need them as close to 100% as possible for Pitt!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 24, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

holy crap does Lil Wayne do blogs a lot? This is good stuff!

Posted by: TheTruth11 |

6 seconds, 80 yards ... thats faster than Usain Bolt!!! who knew?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Injuries can hurt a team in two ways. One, you get a key guy out and there is a big dropoff (ie Brday to Cassel). The second is when you get a lot of injuries in one area, even though you have depth. At LDE, we've lost Daniels + Busbee and Jason Taylor has been hurt all year.

What's amazing is that we're still good at that spot with Demetric Evans

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

You guys sure ae giving pittsburgh a lot of props. I don't think they are that good and we certainly don't need Taylor to beat them. Shawn Springs on the other hand is a different story. He needs to be healthy. They will make the playoffs on the back of their sorry division, but they don't have the team to contend with the NFC East. I mean they lost to the Iggles didn't they?

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 24, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse