Portis praises running backs coach Bobby Turner

(Updated at 10:29 a.m.)

Let's hear from Clinton Portis one more time before moving on - and this entry isn't as much about Portis as it is one of the Redskins' new coaches.

Because the Redskins didn't hold any press conferences to introduce their new staff and because they haven't made any of the assistants available for interviews, we're scratching and clawing to learn as much as we can about the new staff.

Shanahan's first big hire was a familiar face from Denver, running backs coach Bobby Turner, who coached Portis for each of his first two seasons in the NFL. Portis said he enjoyed working with former running backs coach Stump Mitchell and was sad to see him leave, but he raved about Turner.

"Bobby T is, I think, really an excellent coach," Portis said Tuesday. "It's like, 'Damn, we changing coaches.' But to get Bobby T back, and just knowing what he's about, it'll be good for this team. When I was in Denver, you appreciated Bobby T and Bobby T always kept it real. He knew what you could and couldn't do.

"Stump did that. Stump gave you an honest answer to what was going on. But to have Bobby T back is like a luxury. You can really sit down, talk to somebody, 'How am I playing? What do I have to change? How do you want me to play differently?' It won't be, 'No, oh no, you don't have to change anything.' I think Bobby T is more the type of person who can help you display your talents."

Wachenheim to Wahoos

Former Redskins tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim will join Mike London's staff at the University of Virginia, coaching tight ends.

By Rick Maese  |  February 3, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis says he's a better fit for Shanahan's system
Next: Deacon Jones recalls a young Bruce Allen

Comments

Am I the first to notice that "loosable type" has claimed a victim, our good buddy CynCyn?

Posted by: frediefritz | February 3, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

first...to say that CP is one and done after next year. Go Betts, a true professional and feature back in his own right.

Posted by: hinomura | February 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

For a while there, this thread was posted twice. Now the second one has disappeared.

We know how frustrating the system can be, Cindy.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 3, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

So it's old 'amazing disappearing, reappearing thread' game, eh?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 3, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The glorification of Betts is hysterical.....

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hinomura |
___________________________________________

Betts is gone this offseason, book it. So is Rock. Shanny will find his own RB's, either in the later rounds of the draft or through undrafted FA. Betts is old and injury-prone and Rock is strictly teams, which may not cut it this year. If CP puts his money where his mouth is during the offseason, he may have a few more years. If not, he'll be replaced in the lineup by the third week.

Posted by: DCinSD | February 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hinomura | February 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse
I've got to believe that Betts will be gone before CP. He's having to rehab a knee, and will be 31 at start of next season. That's not going to be easy to recover that soon. And with a new coaching staff, I think he might be a victim of "getting younger and faster".

Posted by: frediefritz | February 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

While I like Betts, he is now old and has bum wheels. His days of pro football are over

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

If we only just started colt, betts, marko mitchel....championship...book it!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCinSD | February 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse
I agree about Betts, and I was thinking the same about Rock. But lately I'm thinking Rock will be in training camp, and will have a shot at making roster, unless we can come up with someone better as our returner. He's not terribly expensive, and is a clubhouse leader. So Rock just might hang on this year.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 3, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Hulu has the NFLN in its play list now. I went back and looked at some of the GOTW that included Denver. Booby T was the loudest, most exuberant coach on the sidelines. You can clearly hear him cheer on his team and his charges.

BTW, watching Jake Plummer QB the 2005 and 2006 team really shows the genius of Shanahan. Those teams went 13-3 and 9-7 with not elite play from the QB position.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Re: Betts v. Portis (and anybody else on the roster), whoever has a contract that guarantees payments in 2010 ... my guess is that player stays or gets traded for a player (with a team that will assume part of the existing contract).

The choices that players (esp. highly paid), wealthy owners, and cheap owners, is going to play out in unexpected ways as of the death of the salary cap in March.

The Owner of this team is wealthy (or at least, to date has chosen to appear to be so ... as opposed to, for example, over-leveraged). Going into the CBA discussions, there are really three parties ... the players' union, the big market owners, and the small market owners. I think the one thing that would unite the big market owners with the small market owners would be creation of a perception that both are losing money and cash strapped.

The Owner of this club (and other wealthy owners) can afford to pay guarenteed money to players cut, but might have other incentives not to, e.g, maintain the attempted appearance of poverty. On the other hand, wealthy market owners also have a golden opportunity to pay whatever in order to buy a Super Bowl team, whether its guaranteed money to a guy no longer on the team or superstar money to get someone off another team or both.

Like all things in life, the ones with the money run the show. Follow the money.

My suspicion is that no one gets cut as of the start of free agency ... and that fewer than normal UFAs get re-signed (unless they agree to take a vet minimum again ... see Albright). The wealthy market owners sign the superstars available in unrestricted free agency (see Peppers, maybe even Joey Porter) to even larger big money contracts than usual ... and that everyone else waits till after the draft. After the draft, I suspect big money guys on the roster who aren't critical get cut ... then get signed elsewhere to smaller contracts. The only regulator valve on the whole exercise is going to be the 100 man roster limit. I suspect those offseason rosters, even at the 100 man mark, are going to be continually in flux.

Bottom line on Portis/Betts: Anybody's guess, but I say that they are both safe till past the 100 man rosters of all the teams are set and the wink wink market driven cuts start happening. The League is going to effectuate a percentage reduction in player salaries under either the CBA or just cutting guys with the biggest contracts that aren't otherwise locks to provide return on investment.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Bobby T was the loudest, most exuberant coach on the sidelines. You can clearly hear him cheer on his team and his charges.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 10:49 AM

Danny Smith will have some competition on the sidelines. I love watching Danny Smith on the sidelines. One of these days, his head is going to explode ... I hope it happens when I'm watching him.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCinSD | February 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 3, 2010 10:43 AM
------------------------------------------
I'm thinking the stable of running backs might be completely different in a few months. Betts is 31 and is coming off what many describe as a "devastating knee injury". Portis is around that area with carries where most running backs break down and I don't think Shanahan is interested in an overpaid, grumbling backup. Cartwright really is just a teams player and I believe Shanahan will want to go with something flashier at kick returner. Ganther was not some uncovered jewel. He was let go by the Titans for a reason and he's not a one cut back. Alridge has fumble-itis and unless that gets cured, he's gone.

I could see Shanahan signing a free agent like Chester Taylor for some veteran leadership and then digging up some speed backs through undrafted free agents. I keep reminding myself that Shanahan has had a whole offseason to scout college and pro games. He knows what talent he can bring in without wasting picks or trading players.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

If said player is no longer getting it done and has become more of a problem than they are worth, you discard them.

Portis is an old 29 and will be entering his 9th year with over 2,100 carries. He came into the league running a 4.35 40yd and probably is now in the 4.70 range. He’s taken too many hits, has lost a step, and has never been more expendable. Cut him now during an uncapped season, if not then in the 2011 season it will be too late and you’ll be stuck with his contract.

An uncapped season is a chance to get out from under all the bad contracts that Vinny/Danny created, but there is only one chance to take advantage of it.

Portis, Rock, & ARE will be cut, book it..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 3, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"PFT is reporting that new Redskins Head Coach has dialed up former running back Terrell Davis, in order to guage his interest in making a comeback to the NFL, and apparently the interest is mutual. Davis has been working out, and has stated that his knees's feel great. Stay tuned"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Sween, interesting analysis.

I think that there's going to be more trading of veteran players for draft picks this year. Especially guys who had big signing bonuses, but relatively small guaranteed money in the out years. In the past, you couldn't trade these players because of the cap hit.

With an uncapped year, they can be traded for either young guys who'll be FA in the near future, or for draft picks.

This will be a good year for small market teams looking to trade picks for experience. Jacksonville and Carolina, Atlanta, SF, GB, BUF, OAK and SEA come to mind as teams that might trade picks for guys at the 6-8 year mark.

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

BTW, it depends on the new CBA whether or not this is the year to cut guys without creating dead space.

It could be that the next CBA is a clean sheet, dead space is wiped out, and signing bonuses don't carry over into the new cap. That's all negotiable.

And the big market ownership would probably prefer a clean sheet cap, as would the union. Given that 2 of the 3 interest groups benefit from an uncapped year, I think it's going to happen.

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 3, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Betts- Gone
Portis- last leg (pun intended)
Rock- Stay put on special teams

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I would pay to watch Danny Smith's head explode. Can we do it in the offseason so we can get someone else in there?

I do hope CPo is able to re-connect with his desire to run. It's been a while since he's been committed to his team.

..but I don't think you'll see Betts back. Not sure about Rock, but not as an RB. I see them keeping Quinton & Mason, if for no other reason than they're cheap and servicable...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

yeah CP...it's all about displaying YOUR talents, ain't it?.

And how is it that you are getting "Bobby T" back?

If Bobby T is as good as you say he is and as real as you say he is...I hope he sees right thru your tranparent facade and puts you where you can really be of service...cheerleader!

Posted by: songsofpraise | February 3, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

within 3 scrolls there is LS mentioning me. Dude enough, seriously....its scary.

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 9:50 AM |

Someone mentions your name and you're scared? What a baby. Man up, CL.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Though the salary cap goes away, the CBA itself remains effective through next season.

For Betts purposes, you can't cut a guy on injured reserve. And you can't take him off IR if he's still injured. A guy on IR isn't counted against the roster limit, but to assume he's gone due to a bad knee is off base. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Betts stayed on IR all of next year. His knee injury was both ACL and MCL, right? The former is usually supposed to be a two year injury (Rogers and MacIntosh notwithstanding).

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"It won't be, 'No, oh no, you don't have to change anything.' I think Bobby T is more the type of person who can help you display your talents."

So all that noise Stump Mitchell made about telling Portis to get his ankle fixed, train, and prepare for next season was a lie?

There was

Or: is this another example of someone getting tossed under a bus?

I see the wheel marks even here in cyberspace.

The Greyhound Backstabber is at it again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Man up, CL.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 11:22 AM

Stalker down, LS.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Stalker down, LS.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 11:25 AM

Are you speaking here as CL's mouthpiece or in your self-appointed role as blog policeman?

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

All well and good, but will running backs coach Bobby Turner be praising Portis when the new season rolls around? I somehow doubt it.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 3, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I like all the positivity.....if you asked me...

...ofcourse, no one didn't.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Can you say "injury settlement?"

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 3, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 11:28 AM

Good point. Better to ITA.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

luv me some RI-Speak!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Is there a greater indictment of the poor coaching of the Skins last year than the fact that none made moves to a greater position. I.E. Zorn from coach to qb coach. TE coach of skins to TE coach of UVA etc.

Best I can tell only one made a lateral move. The rest moved downward. Crazy.

Posted by: Gweez | February 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Tatum Bell available again? He crushed it in the UFL and I think that could be a stop gap option if CP don't heal.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

LS with his go-to move, "you must be a girl".....

Tyranny of Dull continues...

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

CP brown nosin' it up. We'll see what kind of shape,if he's willing to practice etc. He's a sham artist.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 3, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, Al. But if we do make a move on RB, I'd like to take someone in the draft if poss.

Not that I'm a draftnik. I have no idea who's coming out. But I would think we'd like to go with developing youth from here on... at least there.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

This tells me the trade wasn't worth it.

Backs fall a part faster than cornerbacks...

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse
---------------

The thing people forget is that Champ's contract was nearly up and he wanted out, so we would have lost him anyway. Given that, I don't think it was such a bad move. The thing that really bugged me then (and still does) is that Denver got the better player AND our second round pick in that trade.

Posted by: closer44 | February 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Chester Taylor!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll see everyone's commitment comments on CPo and raise them one busted up shoulder.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Lets not forget, the Skins won't be the only ones cutting high priced players in the uncapped year. If there is a potential player cut by another team because of a large contract, depending on their age and productivity, the Skins might be able to sign them to a relatively lower contract and fill some holes that the draft and FA won't.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Best I can tell only one made a lateral move. The rest moved downward. Crazy.

Posted by: Gweez | February 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think it depends on how you look at some of the moves. Stump Mitchel went from being a assistant to a head coach in college. Some would say thats a move down, I think becoming a head coach at any level in college or the NFL is a move up.

Other than that you may be right, I am trying to get the full list of position coaches but cant seem to find it.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 11:46 AM

I agree, esp. at RB, where continuing reliability has a high correlation to mileage.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Yes Gweez, while I think Alex makes a good point about stump and college HC move...I think your uber point is mondo-valid.

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It's funny to see Portis already kissing up to the new coaching staff. He's still past his prime, though.

Posted by: stwasm | February 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Peyton Hillis

Posted by: skinswest | February 3, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Is there a greater indictment of the poor coaching of the Skins last year ...

Posted by: Gweez | February 3, 2010 11:41 AM

I don't think its limited to last year, but maybe to having worked under The Owner/Racquetball Partner. Other than Norval (HC job that makes it to post-season), Grilliams (lateral but post-season) and DeWayne Walker (secondary to DC at UCLA then HC at New Mexico), how many in the pre-Zorn, post-Jack Kent Cooke staff have actually improved their resume stock based on passing through the doors in Cashburn? The pay day for a coach coming here looks like climbing to the top rung, but after ringing the bell and cashing the check, the only direction to go it down ... or so it seems.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Peyton Manning

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Peyton Hillis will def be in camp for us.....

I love how anybody who exumes positivity is hearlded.....except if your name is Clinton Portis....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"For the life of me I don't how fans get so attached to certain players and forget about the team they root for.

Portis, Rock, & ARE will be cut, book it.."

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 3, 2010 11:01 AM

Diesel44... talking my language... I must profess man-love... kidding.
Your numbers talk louder than anything... everything else is blind, unwarranted loyalty to a cancer.

As for the salary reduction... agree, ARE, CP... gone... Randy Thomas and an handful of the DL too... it will allow for a quick purge of age and cap-nasty contracts.

As for the possible NEW RB's for the team... it was Shanny who recommended Alridge to Vinny... also, former Den back Mike Bell, of NO, will be a FA... as will a slimmer version of Lendale White...

Gotta get an OT at #4 though!

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

CP is kissing azz to the new staff... nada mas!
And, um, "exumes" positivity? He's digging up positivity?

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Yes, looking on the coaches I remember, I agree the major point is a good one.

I mean here is how I would probably rank all the various jobs one may have as a coach. I could throw minor league jobs in there. but that may be a bit much and very debatable based on the type of league, for example an Arena Football Head Coach (now that the AFL is dead) is maybe between Position Coach for a DIvision 2 school and a Mid-Major school. Then again there are some High School Head Coaches who are probably the Equivalent in stature as some HC's in the college level.

HC NFL
HC NCAA Div 1
HC Mid-Major
HC NCAA Div II
Assistant Coach NFL
Assistant Coach NCAA Div 1
Position Coach NFL
Assistant Coach Mid-Major
Position Coach NCAA Div 1
Assistant Coach NCAA Div II
Position Coach Mid-Major
Position Coach NCAA Div II

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

4th - Zingaaaaaa! lol.

Sw33n - (see what I did there?) I see what you're doin' there... (see what I did THERE?) ... lol. I never said CPo wasn't windin' down. And we do need to groom his replacement. For the record, barring major TRUE injury, I give him 2 more years, tops.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Broncos sign tackle Batiste to future contract
Denver Post staff and wire services
Posted: 02/03/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

The Broncos signed offensive tackle D'Anthony Batiste off the club's practice squad to a future contract Tuesday.

Batiste, 6-feet-4, 314 pounds, was signed to the practice squad Dec. 23 after playing in eight games with the Redskins after Washington starter Chris Samuels was injured in Week 5. Batiste has played in 12 games in his NFL career. He has been on the rosters of the Cowboys, Panthers and Falcons after entering the league in 2006 as an undrafted free agent after his college career at Louisiana-Lafayette.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14321279#ixzz0eUdOqPrJ

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hinomura |

Betts: Eight years, one great season. He's either hurt or ineffective,. not exactly calling cards for RBs.

As for Portis. Positivity, schmazativity. Say what you will about Clinton, he's always knows which heinie to smooch.

Now that he's willing to practice--one assumes--the question is is he too old to practice without breaking down.

Nope, RB is still an area of need, tho it will improve, obviously as the OL does.

Posted by: TheCork | February 3, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Portis Facts... 2176 career carries...

LT... dropped production after 2365
LJ dropped after 1421
Alexander after 1710

Portis has 2176... HE'S DONE!

Yes, he has 2 more years of 3.1 - 3.5 ypc
Sign me up for some of that! F no!

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Cut him now during an uncapped season, if not then in the 2011 season it will be too late and you’ll be stuck with his contract."

I like the thinking as it suggests that you love the team, not the player.

Plus a smart burgular takes advantage of an open window.

An no matter how folks feel about some of the dudes on the roster, the window will soon be open: throw out the obviously under performing ones, get younger, faster, and more versitile while the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise, like a dumb burgular, we'll always be handcuffed by our failure to do the smart thing at the right time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Go Moe Go

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Stay or go, we will have able and willing RB's in the waiting. I'm talking a couple of hungry drafted young bucks in the later rounds. When Clinton performs on the field as of late you will see a change. Maybe seeing Clinton in a new role, as MENTOR.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: closer44 | February 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Bailey for Portis straight up still would have favored Denver. Bailey and a second rounder for Portis was highway robbery. Hey, maybe now that Shanahan is on our side, and can make deals like that for us. Ooops, I forgot, he won't have the Redskins to take to the cleaners.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 3, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 12:14 PM

Good find, 4th. Brooks will be a punter in the NFL eventually. Doubt he can beat out Rocca, though.

The post also has the Eagles expecting some compensatory picks for free agents lost last year. Are the 'Skins expecting any compensatory picks? Demetric Evans?

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

We are not going to draft our way out of this mess in one year. What we need to focus on is building a solid CORE for a 8-10 year run. That starts with O and D line dominance.

D line is in much better shape than O line at the moment, so I think we should focus there on this draft. Under that scenario (assuming no trading back for more picks):

Round 1: OT Russel Okung 6-6 320 OK State
Round 2: OT Bruce Campbell/Kyle Calloway/Cyron Black
Round 4: FS/DB Myron Lewis 6-2 203 Vandy
Round 5: ILB Josh Hull 6-3 236 Penn State
Round 7: C/Guard Erik Cooke 6-6 315 New Mexico St.

This gives you a chance to build that core O line, get's you a potential FS to move Landry back to SS, brings in an understudy to London Fletcher (who we hope we get 2 more seasons out of - though I think 1) and starts to create solid depth at O line as well.

Address RB and QB DEPTH through FA this year. Let the line develop for a year, then talk about STARTING QB and RB needs next year after a year in the new system.

Now this assumes we get at least one more good season out of Portis in a scheme he had great success with years ago (but I am hopeful - or delusional, one of those...)

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Was he restricted? If that's the case, I guess they should get an extra draft pick. Sweet..Evans keeps giving even when he's gone. lol

Posted by: ga8085 | February 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What does CP's pockets look like in 2011? How high will his base be?

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I love how anybody who exumes positivity is hearlded ... except if your name is Clinton Portis ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 12:08 PM

I don't think you love that ... I think you hate it and are being sarcastic ... and sarcasm is negativity ... but I'm going to herald you anyway, just so that I can contradict your point. All hail 4th Floor!

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The dream scenario -

CP - "How am I playing? What do I have to change? How do you want me to play differently?"

BT - "You have to get out there at every practice and practice hard!"

Posted by: charley42 | February 3, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"...or we get rid of CP now while we have the window, and address starting RB in FA. Either way, I don't draft an RB this year."
Posted by: edvar

Shanny would use Mike Bell as an RB as he did in Denver... he looks fine in NO and will be a FA...

Alridge is a Shanny favorite and would be a good change of pace on 3rd down... the man will not use anything before a 4th rounder on an RB...

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Round 2: OT Bruce Campbell/Kyle Calloway/Cyron Black

In case anyone did not watch Senior Bowl, Ciron Black is going down the draft board faster than the Titanic.

Many draft boards are dropping him to 4th-5th round, from what was a low 1 to early 2 pick.

Ouch $$ wise

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 12:08 PM

I don't usually do this, actually it's pretty assinine but I can't help it. Exumes? Really? Come on man...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"..Go Moe Go.."

That's what she said as mrsmoe held the camera that taped the action.

"Go Moe Go!!"

Mike Tirico and Jaws provided the commentary.

Tirico: "Moe mounts her, starts working, but wait, what the?..damn..."

Jaws: "Let's go to the tape. You see moe getting it on at 3:00 am, but by 3:03, he was finished."

Tirico: "Yeah, talk about a lack of conditioning."

mrsmoe: "Actually, with this guy, it's a complete lack of everything."

"That's why when I tell him to go, I mean leave the house."

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

In terms of cash, Portis is going to cost Danny about $4-5million per year MORE to keep him here than to to release him. If he's still here after 2010, about the same $$ in 2011.

Put me in the skeptical column that Portis has enough left to warrant that kind of money. Lot of miles on him. Maybe he can do running back by committee instead of feature back.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 12:50 PM

Perfect.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I should say, Perfect - if we can keep Aldridge from fumbling...

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

We're changing Clinton, not we changing. This moron was pushed through college so he could run a football. WTF?

Don't get caught up in the Super Bowl off season!

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR MORE OF THE SAME!!!

Posted by: hessone | February 3, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

You can hire Jesus Christ to coach the running backs...it doesnt matter...if we dont have at least a decent o-line, we still wont be able to run the ball

Posted by: kickass10101 | February 3, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Moe... 3 minutes?
Practically a marathon!

Edvar... maybe hire Tiki as a consultant... and then, maybe not

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 3, 2010 12:56 PM

Agreed. The only thing that kept Portis on the roster was the salary cap, and that's going away. He's looking at a pay cut next year, either here or on some other team -- likely vet. minimum with incentives.

I still want to know, if he retires does he get to collect his guaranteed money?

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

hes, I'm going to take the opposite approach, because as we all know, Jersey Sales is where Snyder makes hay...I'm buying up every Redskins jersey I can find.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mike London was a great hire for UVA. They could be relevant again in a few years.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kickass10101 | February 3, 2010 1:02 PM

Then let's get Moses. He parted the Red Sea. Even TheCork could run the ball through that hole in his wheel chair.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Does vacumm cleaner come to anyones mind cause Mr, P sucks so very well. He already has nick names for the coaches Bobby T he as happy as a pig in S..T. I hope Mike Shanahan reads this post and sees all this crying and BS coming don't need the owner if you got the coach, at least he thinks so. Betts and Rock gotta love them, but its time for a change to youth. Somebody sensor portis or at least stop writing about him we don't care just get rid of him. He kills the positive news does Vinny need him anywhere, maybe trade portis for some more draft choices anything to get him off of our website. One last story on Portis should read now traded too.......someone desperate.

Posted by: MPWTIAN | February 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm buying up every Redskins jersey I can find.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 1:05 PM

You might have to go to Haiti. He delivered a plane load down there as part of the relief effort. Lot of hungry, homeless people with new jerseys that say "Redskins Draft Day 2008."

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Round 4: FS/DB Myron Lewis 6-2 203 Vandy

I really like this idea. I watched Myron play all year and he has excellent coverage skills as well as good tackling. He played mostly as a "shutdown" corner though, so not sure if he is physical enough to withstand the FS position in the NFL, but if he's still there in the 4th he is a good pick as a corner and might have promise as a FS......if not maybe Stone Hands Rogers can move to FS

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 3, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

rockin a #34 Brian Davis jersey....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

shanny traded portis once and what's stoppping him from trading him again... don't be surprised if portis is shipped to seatle on draft day...hillis would look great in a skins uniform...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

You have to cut Portis... just can't do it until the year is officially classified as "UNCAPPED".

Come on, you can't pay dude like 15 mil over the next 2 years when you got an out like this to recover from your mistakes... 'Skins can get rid of all their bad contracts... Portis & ARE should not be on our 2010 roster when we can cut them with no penalty.

Posted by: tony325 | February 3, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Round 4: FS/DB Myron Lewis 6-2 203 Vandy

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 3, 2010 1:20 PM

++++

That's basically the thinking behind that pick. He either takes over at FS at some point, or allows us to move some else there. Either way, we get great depth for ST's and the nickel and dime packages - and a potential starter down the road.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Exumes? Really? Come on man...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 12:55 PM

did i spell it wrong? or do u just not agree?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:22 PM

For what? No way they want that salary.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Exumes? Really? Come on man...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 12:55 PM

did i spell it wrong? or do u just not agree?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 1:26 PM |

I believe the word you were looking for was exudes. Exumes means to dig something up. Dead bodies are exumed. Exude means to give off or emit.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think maybe the word you are looking for here is "exudes"

Exumes? Really? Come on man...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 12:55 PM

did i spell it wrong? or do u just not agree?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 1:26 PM

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

By the way 4th, sorry for being a doosh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Exumes? Really? Come on man...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 12:55 PM

did i spell it wrong? or do u just not agree?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 1:26 PM |

If you're going to correct at least do it right.......exhumes, means to dig up, but it can also mean to bring to light/ out of obscurity

exumes is not a word

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 3, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

According to the Spelling Nazi, it isn't exume, but exhume.

But, I kind of liked 4th's idea of "exhuming positivity" which gets reburied every time it rears its ugly head. Where is Optimistic-One? Stoned by Rotfrau?

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

rockin a #34 Brian Davis jersey....
Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 1:21 PM

Love the old reference, but I have always wondered:

How does one “rock” a jersey?

Do you walk around doing the Huey Lewis thing where he pumps his head back and forth in a chicken like manner while singing “Walkin on a thin line”?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 3, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 3, 2010 1:34 PM

Way to trail the play...

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

exumes is not a word

Posted by: rupertpupkin | February 3, 2010 1:34 PM

That's what I get for being a doosh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:22 PM

Portis' contract, along with his poor work habits and declining production means nobody, even Crazy Al in Oakland, would trade for him. Best bet is to dump him during an uncapped year where you can take the cap hit and move on. I loved Portis when he was our best offensive weapon, and still love the way he blocks, but my allegience is to the team, and that dictates getting rid of a declining player when you can.

Posted by: DCinSD | February 3, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

CP had his longest run from scrimage since his first carry as a redskin this season.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 10:08 AM

-----------

Nothin' but love and respect for you Dik,

but...

That run you mention, the one Clinton Poison could not finish, represented one more unconsummated drive for the beleaguered Washington Redskins of 2009.

How can you blame that on Zorn, or Betts' injury for that matter?

That same run also exemplifies the poor blocking of those same Redskins. Mike Sellars was out in front on that one and whiffed on his defender.

Either way, we walked away with either a field goal, or with nothing, I can't quite recall.

I respect CP for the hard fought yardage he's amassed as a Redskin, but in no way do I think he is a productive, reliable back, nor a positive force in the locker room.

He must be purged.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:22 PM

For what? No way they want that salary.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

portis will be trade with the 4th pick for seatle's 2 1st rounders and a 4th rounder...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Of course I was just copying what 4th wrote which was exume, but to be fair, I also used the incorrect spelling.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:42 PM |

You, sir, are on a ridiculous amount of crack. The man isn't even medically cleared to play. What you are saying is that Portis will get us 2 first rounders and then we'll trade our 4th for theirs. No way in hell will that ever happen ever. To even think that is just wierd.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright showed the quickness and elusiveness that have all but left Clinton.

Only his ego remains.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

PORTIS, the sycophatic cancer should be shipped for whatever the traffic will bare. We need picks, not downhill veterans.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:42 PM |

O-o-o-oh, make it happen, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Between Rock, Portis and Betts we need three new RB's next year.

Same with ARE, Samuels, Randy Thomas, P Daniels, R Wynn, and Stephon Friggen Heyer (seen enough outta that dude to know be can replace him with better...) Time to close the door on that chapter and build anew.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Agreed.

You got a tumor?

You cut it out.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"...shanny traded portis once and what's stoppping him from trading him again..."

Let's be honest folks.

When you take away contractual issues, only Jason Campbell and Fred Davis offer value as trading chips.

Trading Davis, though, means you won't get anything decent as he's not a proven NFL player.

Trading JC, though, might render a low 3rd or 4th rounder. It also means the fourth pick as to be a quarterback that's going to be groomed.

I'd trade Campbell, and draft Clausen figuring he will walk in and on day one understanding how NFL offenses work.

My third or fourth rounder becomes another linemen to go with the lineman I took in round 2.

Of course, none of this is going to happen.

Which is why we have to be honest about this team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I knew i was taking a big chance on that word....should have put (sp?) around it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I see a lot of talk about Peyton Hillis... Is he a UFA, RFA, or still with Broncos?

Posted by: tony325 | February 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Cartwright is a North-South runner. He has no jukes, he can't make anyone miss. He's been a decent kick returner in the past, but I think his best performances are behind him. Frankly, I don't think any of the running backs on the roster are worth keeping. The team can do better in free agency and with undrafted free agents. Ryan Grant rushed for 1253 yards last year and was an undrafted free agent. Pierre Thomas averaged 5.4 yards a carry and was another undrafted free agent. The team doesn't need to draft a running back if they know where to look after the draft and I think Shanahan knows.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Edvar (12:30 pm on 2/3) made one of the smartest posts I've seen on this blog THIS YEAR... Start w/the O-LINE!

Posted by: ntlekt | February 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Renegotiate CP's contract. Pay him all the up front money now to get it off the books. Play him one season under Shanny, by Shanny's rules. Get in shape & practice. He needs to get the ankle surgery NOW or no deal.

Posted by: msrent | February 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Redskinhead.

Did you watch any of the games in which Rock got significant carries?

Apparently not, cuz the man showed he can juke, much to my surprise.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Agreed.

You got a tumor?

You cut it out.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 1:54 PM
------------------------------------------
You mean, you EXHUME it? This vocabulary word brought to you courtesy of RI and the letter "E"...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:42 PM |

You, sir, are on a ridiculous amount of crack. ...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:45 PM

Could be crack. Could be crick.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ntlekt | February 3, 2010 1:58 PM

Seems so obvious. You got to wonder why it took until February third for someone to think of this.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Redskinhead.

Did you watch any of the games in which Rock got significant carries?

Apparently not, cuz the man showed he can juke, much to my surprise.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:02 PM
------------------------------------------
When you compare him to what we had last season, I agree with you, but being the tallest midget does not make you a power forward.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 1:56 PM

And Andre Carter.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

and if anybody "deserves" the right to be given a good look in camp,

It's Rock.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Granted,he'll be overpaid. But they need to get the $$$ off the books this year. If he can make the team, great, if he can't, tough s**t. Can't trade him with his contract, need to get it off the books anyway. If we can get a year of production out of it, good. Then move forward accordingly.

Posted by: msrent | February 3, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

rockin a #34 Brian Davis jersey

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 1:21 PM

You don't rock a Brian Davis jersey. A Brian Davis jersey rocks you.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ntlekt | February 3, 2010 1:58 PM

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 2:03 PM |

+++

You're just jealous because I posted at the right time for ntlekt to notice.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The voice of reason in a room of screaming voices:

"Frankly, I don't think any of the running backs on the roster are worth keeping. The team can do better in free agency and with undrafted free agents. Ryan Grant rushed for 1253 yards last year and was an undrafted free agent. Pierre Thomas averaged 5.4 yards a carry and was another undrafted free agent."

Shanny's theory that an average pair of running backs can excel behind stellar line play.

So some fourth rounder might be carrying the rock with CP next year.

Or: CP might be gone, and the unknown guy is carry the rock.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

and if anybody "deserves" the right to be given a good look in camp,

It's Rock.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, yes of course he does...right after me, I deserve a good look as well..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

and if anybody "deserves" the right to be given a good look in camp,

It's Rock.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

yea, need to spend more time evaluating 31 yr old running backs who have never had a starting role for more than a few games.

Rock had 1 good game and then the league figured him out

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

and if anybody "deserves" the right to be given a good look in camp,

It's Rock.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, yes of course he does...right after me, I deserve a good look as well..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 2:11 PM
------------------------------------------
Bean, I thought you were penciled in at free safety. Are you a two way player? (Snickers in the audience)

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah OK, bean.

Note I put "deserves" in quotes.

He's a consummate professional, the exact opposite of someone like CP.

just sayin...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

and if anybody "deserves" the right to be given a good look in camp,

It's Rock.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:06 PM

+++

I don't agree. I was done with Rock two years ago. There's no way we should keep a 30+ year old career 3rd stringer when that roster spot can go to a great prospect instead. And after all his whining at the end of the season?

I wouldn't bother bringing him to camp. He ain't making the team

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop on everyone.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 2:13 PM

Casserly was right on his assessment of Rock. Hard worker, but he presents no challenges for a defense. Casserly even called that Rock's performance will decline as he plays more. This shouldn't be the direction the teams move towards as their starting RB.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

You're just jealous because I posted at the right time for ntlekt to notice.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:10 PM |

Heck, yeah, I'm jealous! I'm jealous because I never even thought of it. I'm still studying tapes of Suisham's missed FG to see whether it was the snapper's fault.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

He's a consummate professional, the exact opposite of someone like CP.

just sayin...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Nah. Rock complained about lack of touches when Ganther was named starter.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 2:14 PM

Snickers...yummm

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

chia, 31 other teams don't lie, when given the chance to pick him up, NO-ONE even tried to kick the tires...no one took him for a test drive..zip, zero....he is what he is, and that is an older, average-to-below average kick returner....

lets call stuff what it is....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

We'll see edvar, but I beg to differ.

Shanny needs quality pieces to build around.

Rock Cartwright, the veteran utility player, is invaluable to the new coach.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 2:19 PM |

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright, the veteran utility player, is invaluable to the new coach.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM

He brings a lot on special teams and my bet is that Danny Smith will fight for him -- if his head doesn't explode (to the delight of a few posters up here).

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

We'll see edvar, but I beg to differ.

Shanny needs quality pieces to build around.

Rock Cartwright, the veteran utility player, is invaluable to the new coach.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM |

Fair enough.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Nah. Rock complained about lack of touches when Ganther was named starter.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM

---------

Come on hamsters.

If you're Rock, when the first and second string RBs go down for the season, and they bring some guy in off the street, and start him, you all might have complained too.

I was not in the pro-rock camp last year, until he stepped in and showed he can be productive in the back field.

Q could have gotten his touches without scorning Rock, and ultimately, Q showed he's not exactly an all pro back.

and then there's the OL that can't push anybody around, for anybody, at any time, for any reason.

so whateves...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"is invaluable to the new coach"

as much as an aging, 3rd-4th string rb can be.....that is to say...not much.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

lets call stuff what it is....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM

I'm all for truth in stuff-calling!!!

You're "BeantownGreg", talking to a "Chia_Pet," and being reminded by a "League_Source" that there's just no substitute for calling stuff what it is.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

edvar isn't the first person to preach OL, but props for the level of detail. Its a good plan.

The OL is your engine. Its what gives your QB time to throw, your RB places to run and if you can move the ball, your defense get more time to rest during the game and over the season. I'd be OK if we only drafted OL. The need is that great.

Its been pointed out before that the Skins would have a huge amount of turnover from 2009-2011, its a project, not a one year thing. There are about 30 guys that are the core of the team. 22 starters + nickel DB, DL rotation guys, #2 RB, 3rd WR.

That group of 30 has/is seeing plenty of turnover

Among the guys (who were in that top 30 in 2008) that were gone prior to 2009 were Springs, Marcus, Jason Taylor, Demetric Evans, James Thrash and Jon Jansen. Among those likely to have finished their Redskin careers in 2009 are Chris Samuels, Philip Daniels, Randy Thomas and LaDell Betts (Renaldo Wynn too, but he rarely played).

Up there in football years are Portis, Fletcher, Smoot, ARE, Sellers, Moss and Griffin.

I probably missed a few names, but that is a lot of turnover -- based mostly on age.

Bottom line:

What we're discussing up here isn't so much the tasks to be done, but the order they should happen.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't saying Rock's complaint wasn't legitimate. But you're calling CP a cancer for doing the same type of thing.

If you're going to call CP a cancer you can't call a guy who does the same thing a "consummate professional"

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Add to that what Shanahan might want to do to reshape the team (change QB, go 3-4, get rid of guys he doesn't like, etc), there is still plenty to come."

Amen.

And how it all happens is what I'm interested in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Pockets,

but Rock has kept his mouth shut for his ENTIRE CAREER, save for last season, when he had a justifiable gripe to voice.

CP has been running his cake hole non stop,

and still is.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If they say real recognize real, then I guess lame ass busters recognize lame ass busters.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 3, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

word, red....word

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

The thug is back.

Step aside, everyone.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

CP has been running his cake hole non stop,

and still is.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd say CP's complaints were justifiable. Find me a time when CP wasn't correct in his criticisms.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

word PPSTR8....word....I have a hard time finding a spot where CP was wrong about Zorn and his schemes...

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was pie hole.
(I guess cake hole works too though)

I usually like pie better than cake and shut up and run the ball to blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I AM SICK OF CLINTON PORTIS AND HIS MOUTH! Period.

Posted by: twilson66 | February 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Seems CP is more politically incorrect than ACTUALLY incorrect... lol.

haters will hate...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:42 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 1:45 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
the 4th pick in the draft will get the 2 1st round picks from seatle... portis is a throw in plus pete carroll is an idoit so he will get portis for a 4th round pick... plus, portis will clear himself once he is out of town!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, You go man!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 3, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

We did not need loud mouth Portis to point out what Mr. Zorn was doing wrong! We all could see it plain and clear! But of course some of you will defend him as saying the right thing when we all know that he should have kept his big mouth shut! Just another example of Portis putting the blame on someone other than himself! Me first big mouth needs to go before other players on this team start to act like him!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 3, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

CP must go. He is a cancer in the locker room. He has lost his speed and has poor vision. Shannahan needs to bring in youth athleticism and speed at the running back position.

Posted by: simssv | February 4, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Betts sucks, get real whomever posted he is the future, he lacks burst, awareness or speed they need to cut him and draft a young back.
Shanahan will find a gem of a running back in the later rounds, the Skis need to get off of that Bradford crap and drafy Okung and draft a quarteback in the later rounds

Posted by: BeatDontStop | February 4, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree, draft Bradford and get a Tackle in later rounds.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 4, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Well I see LT is going to be avaliable we could get him and he would be a great compliment to portis. Draft Bradford get some young o lineman and maybe get one of shanny's steals for a rb in the 6th or 7th round

Posted by: bert3 | February 4, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"Portis, Rock, & ARE will be cut, book it..
Posted by: Diesel44"

Whenever anybody says 'book it', I know I shouldn't book it.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 4, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Portis--he is such a clown and it appears that he really thinks we are all as dumb as he is!

Draft CJ Spiller...great running back with heart, speed and will be a major playmaker...he can also replace the horrendous punt/kick return bagholders that we have now!

Posted by: scottpapex | February 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Portis is a beast in tha East..chumps!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | February 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

For cryin' out loud, get rid of Portis as amiably as possible and don't look back!!!
Let him go into the entertainment business as a mime!
The only way Portis could possibly be of any assistance to Shanny in the future is to insure that all of his old Bronco scrapbooks are in the correct chronological order.
Bury him and get on with it..........

Posted by: burro2 | February 5, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse