Portis Relishes Freer Camp for Vets

Running back Clinton Portis echoed the sentiments of many veterans, offering unwavering praise for the Redskins' new training-camp lodging policy. Portis said Coach Jim Zorn is showing his respect for the older players by allowing them to spend nights at their own homes, rather than in the team hotel.

"You got some guys who are married, want to lay besides their wife, some guys want to see their kids," Portis said. "But having curfew, sitting off in a dorm room, being miserable, you don't get no phone reception, you got to go to sleep. I think giving us the opportunity to stay home and just be responsible allows the team to grow up."

Unlike past years, veterans of four or more years are allowed to stay at their own homes. Players with three years or less must stay at the team hotel, "sequestered basically," Zorn says.

"I feel I have a veteran team," the head coach said, "and I'm not the only guy doing this, and I didn't create this scenario, but I studied it and I think it has worked with other teams."

Portis doesn't anticipate any problems with the veterans taking advantage having more freedom.

"The responsibility is on you. We asked for it, we got it and now all of a sudden, you don't want to lose that privilege," he said. "You do the things that are required. You're not going to go out and get drunk. You're not going to be in the club, someone sees you around when you've got camp the next morning. You go home, you eat, you go to sleep and you be here on time."

By Rick Maese  |  July 30, 2009; 1:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tweets: Zorn on Portis; Campbell Speaks
Next: This Time, Daniels Gets Past That First Play

Comments

Tweet tweet!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Portis "you don't get no phone reception," Um your at a hotel...they have phones in the room, are you kidding me? And half of what he says is grammatically incorrect. THE U, is retarded.

Posted by: seancav9 | July 30, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

And half of what he says is grammatically incorrect. THE U, is retarded.

Posted by: seancav9 | July 30, 2009 1:17 PM

Hey, hey. Before he went to the U it was ALL gramatically incorrect. Guy got a lot out of his time at the U. Guys that go to the UVA are already grammatically correct when they get there. UVA gives them nothing but a network of beer lovers. You could do worse.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm just here ..... living on planet Portis!!

Posted by: jiza32 | July 30, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

UVA gives them nothing but a network of beer lovers. You could do worse.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 1:21 PM

For example, before he went to the UVA, NateinthePDX thought that "beer" was short for "root beer."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Long but insightful regarding progress and moving forward.

Interesting note from Portis:

*Portis: “I can’t say I regret it. Everything is a learning experience. Would I say it on the radio again? I doubt it. It’s best to go in his office, knock on his door and go speak my mind in there. We could have avoided the media attention. I don’t regret saying it – it was the truth. That’s how I felt at that moment and I got it off my chest.”

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody see the pic of Portis with blond hair??

Posted by: taylormade218 | July 30, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

SO FAR, Dave Elfin has extracted the most insight out of Gibbs week long media Blitz:

Gibbs: Skins weren't unfair to Campbell
By David Elfin on July 28, 2009 into Redskins 360

Joe Gibbs, who chose Jason Campbell in the first round of the 2005 draft, doesn't feel that the Redskins' front office mistreated the quarterback by trying to replace him twice during the offseason.

"If you're a quarterback in the NFL, you're going to go through some tough things," Gibbs, the only coach to win Super Bowls with three passers: Joe Theismann, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien, said at a Dupont Circle signing for his new book, "Game Plan for Life."

"If you can't handle this kind of stuff, you're in the wrong job. From what I've seen, Jason has handled it pretty good."

-- David Elfin

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seancav9

True, Portis isn't the most well-spoken individual.

But watch how quick you'll hop on his d**k the minute he goes for 150 on 25 carries and 3 TDs.

Oh, and...

"Um your at a hotel...they have phones in the room..."

Trust, I'm THE last to knock another grammar skills, but how does the saying go: Those who live in glass houses...

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

t_e, I was gonna say, "Heyyyy...waitaminute!"

But then I remembered that:

1. I didn't have to take any English classes at UVa because I tested out of them.

2. I do love beer.

So...carry on.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 30, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Ooooops!

LMAO! My bad home slice...

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

He regrets it or he doesn't ???

Posted by: jiza32 | July 30, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

this is all the post has on the skins? how lame. check out the other paper today with an outstanding article

Posted by: nativedc | July 30, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

FOR EVERYONE WHO ACCUSES GIBBS OF LEAVING EARLY. JUST NOW THAT HE AND JIM JOHNSON ARE THE SAME AGE. AND ST21's DEATH WAS NO SMALL DEAL ON SOMEONE THAT AGE...

Taylor's murder had big effect on Gibbs
By David Elfin on July 28, 2009 into Redskins 360

It's no accident that Joe Gibbs' new book, "Game Plan for Life" begins with the story of star safety Sean Taylor's murder in November 2007.

That tragedy was pivotal in propelling the Hall of Fame coach, who led the Washington Redskins to their three Super Bowl victories, out of the NFL for good less than two months later.

"Sean's loss had a definite effect on me," the 68-year-old fit and tanned Gibbs said prior to Tuesday's author signing at Books-A-Million on Dupont Circle. "It was an emotional thing. It affected all of us at Redskin Park. I saw a lot of people saying, 'Oh my gosh. How long do I have? Where am I going to spend eternity?' "

- David Elfin

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Quote of the day:

Watching a flock of geese fly overhead, special teams coach Danny Smith noted the two stragglers and cracked:
"They're not making the 53."

Courtesy of Washington Times

Posted by: isnadd | July 30, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Coach Gibbs: "From what I've seen, Jason has handled it pretty good."

Huh. I didn't realize Coach Joe went to The U.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 30, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

- David Elfin

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:29 PM

Am I the only one who DIDN'T ask "Where am I going to spend eternity?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

He regrets it or he doesn't ???

Posted by: jiza32 | July 30, 2009 1:28 PM

He doesn't, but he learned from it. So, if the same situation happened this season, he wouldn't handle it the same way.......

Click on the link to get the full context.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The Junkies put up their podcast for the day so people can go to WJFK.com to get the podcasts. I believe the segment is titled Around the NFL.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

There's no such thing as a talking junkie.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 30, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I actually saw a more indepth interview with Gibbs earlier about what his book is about. And I found out he didn't even write the chapters. He got 11 'intellectual experts in their own field to write about the 11 different topics. I might just buy it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I didn't

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

From Elfin:

* DeAngelo Hall looked like the Pro Bowl cornerback he is, strutting to the end zone with an interception of Jason Campbell.

* But Hall didn't look nearly as good being beaten on a long touchdown catch by Kelly.

==============================================

Kelly and DHall will be beasts this year...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

There's no such thing as a talking junkie.

Posted by: freakzilla

Nice Mr. Show reference...

Posted by: Da_Man | July 30, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 30, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Kelly and DHall will be beasts this year...

Posted by: 4thFloor

Indeed. Oh yeah, how was the VA experience?

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't be hatin' on "THE U" buttwipe. They are dominating the NFL with players right now. I mean, where would the NFL be without all the star University of Miami grads right now. "THE U" will soon return to their previous glory. Go Canes!!!! And, GO SKINS (although we will be 6-10 and this season).

Posted by: sjw1 | July 30, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

seancav9

Yes, the U is for retards, retards that make more in a month than you make in a year. You wish you were portis dont you? No you are much better gramatically. You and portis walk into a room. Who gets noticed? You for your grammar perfection or portis for being one of the leading rushers in the NFL? You cant stand that can you?

Posted by: ged0386 | July 30, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

(although we will be 6-10 and this season).

Posted by: sjw1 | July 30, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Flip those numbers

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 30, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Alrighty, maybe I'm directing to much hate towards Portis...his comments kill me sometimes.

Posted by: seancav9 | July 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

- David Elfin

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 1:29 PM

Am I the only one who DIDN'T ask "Where am I going to spend eternity?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

We know where you'll be spending eternity T E, the strip clubs, of course!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | July 30, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

how can anyone complain about staying in a hotel with the team for a few weeks when they are making millions? I dont understand alot of pro athetes.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | July 30, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seancav9

The proper word is "you're". The word "your" is a possessive pronoun. The word, "you're" is a contraction of the words "you" and "are" and is the proper term to be used in your statement.

Posted by: skinsfaninsanfran | July 30, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the Portis & Zorn duet to be singing Kumbaya.

Posted by: mdpilot | July 30, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse