Portis sees another concussion specialist

The Redskins sent running back Clinton Portis to Pittsburgh today for a consultation with another specialist to gauge his recovery from a concussion suffered Nov. 8 in Atlanta.
Portis has not practiced this week and will miss his second straight game Sunday.

"Each day Clinton has done a great job in communciating how he's felt, and that's what it's going to take," Coach Jim Zorn said today. "And also, we communicate, we continually send him to send [team physician Anthony Casolero] and now we're going to send him to Pittsburgh to see a specialist there. So we're going to make sure that we take care of all those details."

The Redskins aren't certain when Portis will be ready to return. Their priority, Zorn says, is Portis' health and well-being.

"We're for Clinton getting well, and I think he is too," Zorn said. "It just takes a continual communication. And I want to be involved with those conversations. Not so much to see, 'How fast can we get him back,' but just to make sure the young man is improving and getting better as we go along."

The Philadelphia Eagles have similarly sent their running back Brian Westbrook, who suffered two concussions in the past four weeks, to visit with specialists in Pittsburgh. Westbook was to consult with neuropsychologist Dr. Mark R. Lovell. Following that visit Westbrook and Lovell were to consult with neurosurgeon Dr. Joseph Maroon. Lovell has been consulting with the Eagles' medical staff on Westbrook's recovery from the first concussion, suffered Oct. 26 against the Redskins.

Portis is expected to see the same specialists who treated Westbrook earlier this week at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, home of the respected Sports Medicine Concussion Program.

Zorn said today that Redskins team officials have been following Westbrook's progress, but it hasn't necessarily changed the way they've approached Portis' injury.

"We talk about it, 'Hey let's make sure we're right on this.' But it's not something that we were afraid of or we had to do anything different," Zorn said.

Also, following Friday's practice, Zorn said that fullback Eddie Williams suffered an ankle injury on the second-to-last play of practice and had to carted off the field. Zorn wasn't sure the severity of the injury but said Williams would undergo X-rays.

By Rick Maese  |  November 20, 2009; 1:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Defense prepares for Cowboys' attack
Next: Haynesworth a game-time decision for Sunday

Comments

First to say Betts is the man

Posted by: kreitmaster | November 20, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Put the lazy SOB on the IR list already, and give his roster spot to someone who actually wants to play, practice and work with his teammates.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but Portis being out looks to be a case of addition by subtraction.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

If the giant flakes on your shoulders aren't snow... you might be a Bama...

If you drew a giant "P" with a sharpie on the nameplate of your purple '97 Impala... you might be a Bama.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

If the imprint of your Sister's leather couch is permanently applied to your back fat... you might be a Bama...

...if your IQ is higher than your credit rating...

...anyone?...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By David Elfin on Nov. 20, 2009 into Redskins 360
Don't expect Albert Haynesworth to play Sunday at Dallas.

The All-Pro defensive tackle isn't on the field again this morning. He hasn't practiced all week because of the left ankle he sprained last Sunday against Denver.

As of Thursday afternoon, Haynesworth's ankle was still in a boot.

Coach Jim Zorn said on Thursday that Haynesworth would be a game-time decision, but if the man can't even work on the side while his teammates practice, it's hard to see him lining up on FieldTurf against the Cowboys two days later.

Kedric Golston, the starter in 2006 and 2008, would start if Haynesworth can't play. Anthony Montgomery, the starter in 2007, could then be active for the first time all season.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

that really sucks...Monty better be bringing his A++ game, he's fresh, and should be ready to go. Wynn needs to be active too....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the first three comments. What will our salary cap hit be next year by getting rid of Portis? Does anyone know?

Posted by: kmichael76 | November 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, maybe a rested Golston is worth half a Haynesworth?

Go D!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The Next mrsmoe?

A Tearful Winfrey Explains Her Departure
By BRIAN STELTER

Oprah Winfrey announced that she will end her daytime talk show in September 2011.

So once her money runs out, I wonder if a brother will have a chance to hook up.

Oprah has been alone longer than I been broke.

But I been waiting since The Color Purple to do like Harpo and 'hit' her.

Now, here's my chance.

Without a job, she'll get bored.

Her funds will get low.

She can only watch so much television and eat that much healthy food.

Her being a 'big girl' means nothing to me if a joint bank account is involved.

She can only last so long before she'll break down, need to pay her bills, and give ol' Moe a call looking for someone to help her out.

I can see the 2 am call where she cries about her crumbling empire and the need for help.

"What about Stedman?" I'll ask.

"He ain't here," she'll say. "He tryin' to holla at Star Jones now that I don't have a job."

"He say he can't support me and Dr. Phil and Gayle King."

I'm the same age as Oprah, so that ain't nothing but a number.

So I'll sit by the phone and wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait......and...

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

yea hope Montgomery plays like he's got something to prove.

Needs to make the most of his PT since I think this is a contract year for him.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

While we may not have much elite talent on this team, some of the early losses the Skins had were due to bad play calling and scheme rather than lack of talent even on the OL. Win two or three of those early games and the Skins are not only in the playoff hunt, but they are challenging for the Div lead.

Not saying the Skins will win out, but coaching has hurt this team more than lack of talent IMO.

And to really put in perspective how bad the coaching was early in the season, look at what teams the Skins lost to.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

what cap?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

a thought on playoffs. we win on Sunday and we're two games back with 3 games still to play in the division, 2 at home. None of the other teams in the division are what they expected, as injuries have hit key players on every team.

Its unlikely, but 2 back with 6 games to go isn't a crazy scenario, either.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 20, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but we still have a real uphill fight based on us screwing up the easier portion of our schedule. The division is out, so best we could do in theory is the WC. One of the tiebreakers is record against the NFC, and right now we're 2-5 (W's against Rams, TB, L's to DET, CAR Iggles, NYG, ATL).

We still have 5 games left against NFC teams, so I think to get in we'll have to run the table in those games, and if we drop a game, have it be against SD or even the pathetic Raiders. That would leave us 9-7 with a 7-5 record against the NFC.

8-8 could still get in as well, but IMO we would prob get the short end of things if we're 6-6 or worse in the conference...especially since two of the teams we're competing with for the WC are the Falcons and Panthers, who both have head to head advantages over us...

Long way to go though, and a win against F Dallas would give us a lot more hope...

Posted by: mattylight | November 20, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope he stays down and retires for good! Then maybe we can start winning! He is nothing but dead weight!

Posted by: iubiquity | November 20, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | November 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

$6.43 million of $7.195 million is guarenteed so we would save about a half million by cutting him. He'll be back. Hopefully it's without the bone spurs.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 20, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Enjoying yourself Bean?

Posted by: mack1 | November 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

moe, If nothing else I appreciate your self depreciating humor...that being said...yuck...thats just nasty....

I fear that w/o AH we might be run on....guys are gonna have to hold the point on the line...Fletch/Rocky need to be filling lanes....If I'm buges, I'm up the OL azz already telling them they gotta bail the defense out....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | November 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 20, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

But from my understanding if next year is uncapped, why not just get rid of him?

Posted by: mattylight | November 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Gray: Pro Bowler OK to play

DALLAS -- Washington nose tackle Albert Haynesworth will play against the Dallas Cowboys, Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray said Friday on The Michael Irvin Show on ESPN FM 103.3.

Gray said Haynesworth has been wearing a protective boot while suffering from a low ankle sprain. He had been held out of practice by coach Jim Zorn, who was unsure earlier this week if the Pro Bowler would play at Dallas on Sunday.

When he takes the field, Haynesworth will be lining up across from Cowboys center Andre Gurode for the first time since 2006, when Haynesworth was suspended five games without pay for stomping on Gurode's forehead -- the longest suspension for an on-field infraction in league history.

The wound took 30 stitches to close.

Both Haynesworth and Gurode have insisted this week that the two players have since become friends.

"We have been talking and everything," Haynesworth said earlier this week via conference call. "We even went out together. So, yeah, we are cool."

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

mack, not sure I follow what you're trying to ask?

curz, thats gonna be a HUGE factor in this game..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Why would you if you're only saving 1/2 a mil? If it's going to cost you either way you might as well see what he's got left in the tank. I don't think he's done yet. I think he's out of shape and is still having ankle issues. I'd get that taken care of and see where he's at next year. You could probably get him to restructure.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Damn; I was just going to past "Haynesworth will play, count on it"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 20, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I trust David Elfin or not. Wait n See.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't trust either of those reports.

...is there a third option?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

third option is hope?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"PFT has learned that the Washington Redskins and Carolina Panthers have gotten a jump on the 2010 offseason in an apparent handshake agreement to exchange quarterbacks. Jason Campbell will be sent to the Panthers and Jake Delhomme will in turn go to DC. Unprecedented as this is, nothing has been put down on paper, so neither team has broken any rules. Stay tuned"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

AH will definitely play, I hope.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Albert's ankle didn't stop him from walking around at Verizon Center Wednesday night.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 20, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ah, gotcha. I see what you're saying. I have a different opinion, I think he is done, and that if we cut him in a year where there is no salary cap, and get his $$$ off the books, it frees us up to go in more directions in FA and the draft...since we do have a good number of needs...

Posted by: mattylight | November 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"...Montgomery plays like he's got something to prove."

Monty's, Golston, Wynn, Griff, Prince Al: how many tackles do we need?

All of them.

The cowboys will try a steady diet of Barbar/Jones/Choice on the edges to wear down our front.

Rested tackles are very necessay.

Plus: given the cowboys' line issues, rested tackles are an advantage.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

that's all I have...besides...

...F dallas!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

B - is for the bed my sister and I slept in
A - is for Arkansas
M - is for missing teeth
A - is for Alabama

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. We know that Jerry wants Felix Jones to get more touches. And Garrett is going to want to establish the run after what happened against Green Bay.

Out of the 3 backs only Felix Jones scares me, the Redskins have done a good job stopping Barber in the past.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Greg I hope thats another one of your BS posts.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

bleep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, if we went RB at all I'd go with a speed back anyway. I'd think maybe Spiller or Best would be a good option. We still have betts and Cartright for the between the tackles 1st and 2nd down runs. We need a change of pace guy that can catch passes for 3rd down. I just don't see the upside to dumping Portis. I'd rather dump Randle El, Thomas, Samuels, Smoot, and any other dead cap money we have. Are we still paying for Brandon Lloyd? I'd take care of that crap first.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 20, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

People who think drafting a running back in the 1st round must not have seen our O-Line for the last 2 seasons. We need a top flight left tackle and probably one at right tackle as well. Those type of players are usually picked in the 1st couple of rounds. Productive running backs have been found in the draft in the third to fifth rounds as evidenced by NY with Brandon Jacobs and Bradshaw. Neither Best or Spiller are between the tackle runners, and neither looks likely to be a 20-carry type of back in the NFL.

Before everyone decides to ship Portis out of town, I think its important to recognize that the guy has made major contributions to this team for 5+ years behind a less than great line without a top QB. IF he recovers from his concussion and is willing to play next year at a reduced rate, the Redskins should consider whether he's worth it for another year or two.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 20, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

HEY GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY....PORTIS HAS GONE TO SEE ANOTHER CONCUSSION SPECIALIST........YEAH.....DON'T GET ME WRONG...I HOPE HE'S OKAY......BUT.......YEAH? IT SEEMS REAL SILENT WHEN IT COMES TO HIS INJURY.....I DON'T HEAR ANY DISTANT TEARS FROM ANYWHERE......ALOT OF PEOPLE SEEM......WELL........MORE RELAXED NOW THAT THEY HAVE A RUNNING BACK WHO WILL ACTUALLY....YOU KNOW......"PRACTICE"...AND NOT BAD MOUTH THE COACH AND TELL COACHES PLAYERS SHOULD BE BENCHED....I'M SURE SELLERS HAS DRY EYES.

Posted by: ghostrider505 | November 21, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

I HOPE PORTIS STAYS NEXT YEAR.....HE OUGHT TO JUST GO ON IR FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR AND REST UP SO HE CAN COMEBACK NEXT YEAR....IT WOULD DO HIS BODY GOOD....I JUST THINK HE'S BEEN TO OUTSPOKEN WITH ZORN, AND IT HURT THE TEAM. WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE HE SHOULD BE IN THE HALL OF FAME AT THE END OF HIS DAYS. I JUST WISH HE'D CAN IT SOMETIMES.

Posted by: ghostrider505 | November 21, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse