Portis Set to Play Saturday

Clinton Portis is scheduled to make his preseason debut Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills at FedEx Field, Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora report.

"Oh, yeah, Clinton is going to get out there a little," offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said yesterday after the Redskins' afternoon practice at Redskins Park.

"He's just going to go out and play a series or two, he may not even play 10 plays. We're going to put the ball in his hands to just see the quickness. He's in great shape, he's ready, so just run behind this line and get some time."

Portis, who sat out the Redskins' preseason opener against the Indianapolis Colts last week, said he plans to keep it simple against the Bills.

"I'm not looking to see nothing. I'm looking to see how long they're [going to] leave me out there, to be honest," Portis said. "Is this [going to be] good? For who? For y'all? For the media? For the public? I guess. But what's good for [No.] 26 is rest. Rest is important. Rest is vital."

Smith, who played a key role in the success of former Tennessee Titans' Pro Bowl runner Eddie George, said Portis is the type of back he enjoys coaching.

"You can see he's a special running back," Smith said. "He's got great patience as a runner. He can explode when he sees it, he's got great feet in the hole and he's a good decision maker."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 7, 2008; 4:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: QBs, Injuries, Schmitt, Favre -- We've Got It All
Next: What To Watch For

Comments

I *heart* Clinton Portis.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

2nd?

Posted by: rich20ssu | August 7, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Clinton needs to keep complaining. He acts like its mor elikely he'll get hurt in the preseason than in regular season. Just go out and run frickin 7 plays, you'll be fine.

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 7, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

ANNOUNCEMENT: additional RI fantasy league!

I know there were some disgruntled peeps because the fantasy fubbal league which Redcoat was so kind to create (20 teams!) filled up. So I created an additional league, and I'm volunteering to serve as commish for whoever wants to join. Heck yeah.

My anonymous friends, and anybody else (dealer) jonesin' for fantasy f-ball, please drop me a line ASAP at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com, and I'll send you the details on how to join the league. First come, first served, up to 20 teams.

Bring. It. On.

end announcement: additional RI fantasy league

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm agreeing with Prison Balls (regarding Portis). And yet, I don't feel violated.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. I love me some Bud Foxx. But quit whining. You play FOOTBALL. If you worry about getting hurt... YOU'RE GOING TO GET HURT!

Doesn't anyone adhere to Maxell Maltz anymore?! Heck - take a TCCL and read Dianetics or something...

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Sort of a West Coast fantasy league, ehh Nate :)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Duplicate type continues!

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, man, we need TCCLs...maybe tomorrow!

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

agreed
clinton quit your whining and get ready for the season like everyone else. The linemen are involved in tons of contact every play, you don't hear them whining.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It is entirely possible that TCCLs will return tomorrow.

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I approve of the error message when you try to submit a comment too soon after submitting your previous comment (I'm guessing it's a minute).

Before when you did this, there was no error message -- the second comment was 'dropped on the floor,' so to speak, and you wouldn't notice until you scrolled down to the bottom of the thread, by which time (in my case) you'd usually forgotten that nugget of wisdom that was so critical to shout from the RI mountaintop.

So at least now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The Truth will join, and dominate, Nate's league as well.

The Truth still says it is asinine to draft on the OPENING DAY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!?! HELLO!?! YOU PLAY, TO WIN, THE GAME!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 7, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

You want to beat the best you'll join this league!

Posted by: dealer | August 7, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The Truth, you realize not everyone, even among the commenting community on a Redskins blog, is a big college football fan, right? There's room in your worldview for that possibility as well, right, dude?

Drop me a line about the second league...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

You know that anthrax scientist also spoke in 3rd person.

Posted by: NFeKPo | August 7, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

dealer, explain what exactly do you deal, or pick a new name altogether.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 7, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Vote early and often for the 30th.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

What's good for number 26? How 'bout another 15million to stand on the sideline and scratch his crotch and wait till week 7 to be in game shape.

I've never heard another football player be such an outspoken sissy.

Posted by: p1funk | August 7, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

ugh - fantasy fb. [insert last year's rant here...]

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

In addition to TCCLs, I'd like to know what Jasno really thinks about this team.

Yeah, I know he gets attacked by the lunatic fringe every time he prints opinion, but that is one of the reasons I'm lurking.

Bring it.

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Wut chal want tuh see? I needs rest, yo. Wut choo think I am, a runnin' back or sumpin?

Posted by: CP | August 7, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

post-registration post amusement

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 7, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"The Chad" Pennington to Miami? Whaddya think?

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

so I can post as anybody else, but (in theory) wapo logs who really posted my items so they can discipline me properly?

or is this simply Cindy's ploy to figure out who the not guy really is...

Posted by: notEaglesFanAdam | August 7, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Chadwick will either end up in Miami (Most likely) or Chicago. I wouldn't rule out Baltimore, KC, or Minnesota either.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 7, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

OK, I must have missed this. What's wrong with Springs' achilles?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"Is this [going to be] good? For who? For y'all? For the media? For the public? "

Reminds me of the Ricky Watters quote "For you? For What?"

BTW, I've been buried in work, but it seems like: "Meet the new RI, same as the old RI."

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Clinton, planning on "resting" during the regular season as well? Get off your butt and do what you're paid to do...and I'm not talking about dressing up like a reject from the Funkadelic concerts of the 70's and acting the fool. Play ball bee-otch!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

If the Jotz get rid of Pennington, they could end up really sorry when His Redneckness ends up in Royal Traction 'cause of the sucky O Line...

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I think CP may be the not guy; this sounds an awful lot like he's complaining about the Loseable Type migration

Hmm...

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Not KC. Please, Lord, not KC.

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

What up RI suckas

CP 26 FTW!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:15 PM
___________________________________________
That was me...my bad....

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Who has time for ploys?

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard another football player be such an outspoken sissy.

Posted by: p1funk | August 7, 2008 5:05 PM

Watch how quick you'll hop on his NADS when he gives you 1350 rushing, 350 receiving, and 12 TD's. He's just saying what every other star RB wants to say.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Pennington to Philly just because it's totally stupid

Adam

PS If the Boys lose a couple of early season games, will TO tell JJ that had he just picked up Farve, the boys would be an undefeated team?

Man would that be fun to hear (again)

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"The Chad" Pennington to Miami? Whaddya think?

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 5:10 PM

Right now, he's The Hanging Chad!

Nothing?

How 'bout Chad being "punched out" of New York?

Still nothing?

Ok, I'll go back to my wheel and keep thinking.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Trivia

what was John Riggins career yards per carry?

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:18 PM
___________________________________________
Then silence, in this case, would be (burgundy and) golden...I'd rather he said nothing.

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Chad is a great game manager (laughs to self), I guess that means he won't throw you out of a game, but don't ask him to win you one.

He has what we called a 10 cent arm growing up.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 7, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

3.9 fish dude.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone, anyone? What's wrong with Springs' achilles?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

He's just saying what every other star RB wants to say.

It's just that he says it a lot. Every year it's the same complaint. You just get tired of hearing him pout about it every year.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 7, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Soup75 - they're in their mid- to late- 30's. That's what's wrong w/ 'em...

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone, anyone? What's wrong with Springs' achilles?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2008 5:23 PM
___________________________________________
Slight strain, no sweat.

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

right on Anon

3.9

In fact this is the same ypc as Byner and Joe Washington's was 4.0 ypc

this is what happens when RBs play in Gibbs' Offence (even the Deisels' ypc went down from when he played for the Jets)

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 7, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:18 PM
___________________________________________

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 5:20 PM

I understand both comments. But Tomlinson has made similar comments regarding preseason, right?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 7, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis will play on Saturday

Redskins 360 (View Blog)
POSTED August 07 2008 2:08 PM BY David Elfin

Few, if any, NFL players dislike preseaason more than Clinton Portis. But coach Jim Zorn said that CP will play, at least a few snaps, in Saturday's preseason home opener against Buffalo.

This will be Portis' first preseason appearance in four days shy of two years. That was the 2006 preseason opener in Cincinnati. Newly-acquired receiver Brandon Lloyd ran the wrong route (surprise). Mark Brunell threw the ball to the right spot. Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratcliff picked off the ball and took off before Portis finally chased him down. For his hustle, Portis partially separated a shoulder, missed the rest of preseason and wasn't himself when he returned in September. He was sidelined for all of the 2007 preseason with a sprained knee.

-- David Elfin

Posted by: Elfin to da Post | August 7, 2008 4:01 PM

I knew this post sounded familiar......

The sourcer lives on!

Posted by: Keim to da Post | August 7, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

i expect CP to be back over 4.5ypc this year

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 7, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Springs has a sore Achilles'.

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

first quarter
Riggins for 2, Riggins for 2, throw to Monk for 8 ... first down. Lather Rinse Repeat

fourth quarter
Riggins for 6, Riggins for 5 ... first down. Lather Rinse Repeat

worked pretty well

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Good times

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 7, 2008 5:26 PM
___________________________________________
I've asked this before, rhetorically: If Allen Iverson is the answer, what the CENSORED was the question?

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Soup75,

The question was Herpes.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

No...wait... that was Ron Mexico.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

and that was to triplz

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

first quarter

fourth quarter
Riggins for 6, Riggins for 5 ... first down. Lather Rinse Repeat

worked pretty well

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 5:32 PM

the problem was Gibbs trying to use CP in the same fashion as Riggo

FYI I am no way trying to bash #44 I brought this whole thing up because people dog Portis about the fact that his ypc dropped when he left denver

My point is that he was ill suited to the Riggo role

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 7, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

plus as much as i love santana

CP diddn't have anyone close to Monk at WR

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 7, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The problem in the Gibbs 1.0 vs. 2.0 running game comparison is NOT the RB position. CP can take the beating, believe it or not...

It was the OL!!! Look at the weight differences. Back then we were HOGS. Huge guys pushing lesser sized D linemen around. Now, we're undersized on the OL compared to DLs we face, I think.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 5:32 PM

What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

nads on the face

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Vomit, Gag, Vomit!!

What's with the Obama Ad?!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Obama is spending money trying to get the 10-20 people that blog here to vote for him?!

Posted by: Synonymous | August 7, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

What's with the Obama Ad?!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 6:04 PM

Is this a trick question? He's running for President and he wants to convince us to vote for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't have an Obama ad. I have one for Kaplan University. It's pretty persuasive. I think I might enroll. Do they have a football team with hot cheerleaders? That would seal it for me.

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Kaplan University? Isn't their team the Ramblin' Rabbis?

Posted by: Melinda Yalom | August 7, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Totally valid point on CP vs Riggins. You could run Riggins for 2 yards a pop in the 1st half because you could get first downs through the air. Old reliable HOF Art Monk. In the second half, Riggins would just get stronger and stronger, so feed him the ball and behind the Hogs, unstoppable.

CP isn't going to run the ball 25 times and be stronger for it. There is no Art Monk to get you thru 2nd and 8 or 3rd and 6. And these aren't the Hogs, even when healthy. And they ain't been healthy

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I have an ad for a Jackson Browne concert.

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The question was Herpes.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 5:36 PM
___________________________________________
Thanks Dik. Classic! I can now get on with my life of Redskins football, as I have been pondering the AI question for years. No distractions now....except maybe the Obama ad...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

had some HOF jibba jabba on who is currently playing that is on their way. Portis was mentioned as possible. I look at his comments and they don't sound like they are coming from a HOF guy. At least not the HOF in Canton.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I gotta remember to type in my friggin' name! Thanks again for the laugh, Dik.

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I have an ad for a Jackson Browne concert.

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 6:15 PM

Are you even old enough to know who Jackson Browne is? Or, was?

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Portis has a point about rest. The 16 game season is brutal for RBs. I've suggested having CP start 12 games and Betts start 4. Every few weeks, Portis gets a bit of a break. Over the season, it should enable him to hold up better.

Another way to do this, get Betts a bunch of preseason work so he is the starter in game one and closer to midseason form. Have Betts carry the load for the first 3 games and let Portis work his way into shape for the regular season as a backup. About game 4, switch.

But I've never seen either approach used, so I'd want Portis to be ready and sharp for game 1. In the standings, game 1 counts as much as any other game. More, since its vs the Giants in NJ. A win their is big. Come ready to play, CP.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, comments, lifestyle choiices or bad decisions aren't what get you in, or keep you out of, the Hall. Take a look at Irvin or LT. Nose candy, weed (HIT, Murf!) and hookers won't keep you out, why would whiny comments and lazinesss to so?

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________
Isn't that what training camp is for...to get in shape for the season? I apologize, Al Zeke, if you were simply injecting sarcasm into the mix.

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

My ad says "How to keep from coming up short in retirement" - intentional double entendre, I wonder?

Posted by: John D In Houston | August 7, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

There are always guys that think the beginning of the season is there to get you ready for the rest of the season. Like the games don't mean much at the beginning.

I get that an entire regular season has a lot of wear and tear ... so no need to add excess punishment early on. But when you go 3-0 or 4-0, you put yourself in great position. I've always liked teams that come out of the gate quickly. Seems they have an attitude about them. Except the NYG.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

Posted by: Curly | August 7, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

today we saw Favre get traded to the Jets. this is cause for a toast Skins Nation. Why should we celebrate Brett to the Jets you might ask?

I think this proves that in many ways Ol' Danny Boy is NOT the same owner he once was. You all know that if this were 5 years ago...Brett would be a Redskin.

So hats off to our front office for not wanting the Huge Splash of the offseason.

HAIL!

Posted by: Leevi | August 7, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Clinton can rest the whole preseason as far as I'm concerned.

He works is tail off during the regular season, and not just running the ball - he's probably the THE BEST blocking RB in the league right now.

He's a tough hombre.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 7, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Clinton!!! Shut the fugg up and play! It's football and you get paid to play it. Stay firm JZ with this dude. Don't do a Gibbs.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok...I'm gonna do this a bit early this year.

WELCOME TO SICWIDIT'S REDSKINS RULES FOR THE 08'-09' SEASON...

1) Stop wearing former Redskins' jerseys to games! No Laverneus Coles, no Brad Johnson, no Stephen Davis...and no disgruntled Skins either a la La Var Arrington. Retired Redskins are fine.

2) No pre-cooked food at tailgates! I'ma slap the next tailgate I see with with homecooked food in a baggie...gay(not that there's anything wrong with that)

3) You cannot leave the stadium before the game is over...win or lose

4) Don't push a kid outta the way for an autograph...if it's my kid you get your azz beat.

5) Do not mention Ryan Clark, Champ Bailey, Ryan Clark or LaVar Arrington on this blog again.

FINALLY...in the name of all that's holy...stop watchin' the game in the Club Seats Lounge if it's like 60 degrees.

This is the Gospel according to SIC

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100% AL. It seems CP feels he's already done his work (he was a reported regular at the park) this past off season...a first for him. Did this take a toll, or is this his latest excuse for sluffing off the pre-season games?

I realize Zorn has a part in CP not playing as much as WE would like, but the rest lands squarely on his shoulders. I can almost understand him being a little gun shy, due to the previous injuries he's had, but he needs to get in GAME reps, even if only a series or two per game, to be in regular season shape come opening day.

Posted by: Triplz | August 7, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love it. Most teams haven't even played their 1st preseason game and SIC is already OTR. Hope you didn't pull a hammy while at the keyboard

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Portis is an enigma to me. He absolutely shows up on Sundays. I think somewhere in the back of his mind, he must think he can't really play an entire season and stay strong.

So he wants to save the contact stuff for the regular season. If he's correct, I can't blame him for wanting to do that. But the coaches have to know he's really only good for 10-12 games a year. Which means some games where Betts is the feature back.

Personally, I'd want him to get 12-20 touches in preseason. Get a feel for reading holes at game speed. Make sure you are in synch with the offense play calls, handoffs, etc. under game conditions. That type of stuff.

In preseason games, you make (in the words of Deion Sanders) 'business decisions'. Do the things you need to practice, like hitting holes quickly. But skip fighting for an extra yard while getting pounded

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

no hammy pulls here Al, Zeke....

Portis should not play much in the pre-season, but he has to play some. Is Jason Campbell any less valuable, what about Sean Springs...Cornelius Griffin....I love Portis but this is getting "diva-like". What he needs to do is worry about holding onto the ball...

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

how does this new thing work?

Posted by: hello | August 7, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

We saw last season that it took CP several games to get into full form. We are not a good enough team that we can do that.

While I get he is gun shy especially after 2006 debacle it strikes me that you aren't really ready until you've had the full blown on the field contact ready set go moment.

On the other hand given the o-line we have for Saturday I can understand his reluctance. Maybe he can dress up like the Michelin Man.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

so if you put no name in the box it goes in a holding queue?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

So does The Truth = Jiggly Puff? And is the opening of the College Football season the reason for him not wanting the Fantasy Draft on August 30th?

If it is, sorry bud, I voted for the 30th.

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I've come up with a tin foil hat theory for the injury issue.

Given the huge shti hitting fan around illegal substances and testing that has been in the news for several years thanks to baseball, cycling etc. The NFL's vaunted testing has quietly been ratcheted up and players were quietly told that very little was going to be ignored.

So players have dialed it back on the 'flaxseed oil' and now injuries are a bigger issue because the miracle of St. John's Wort is no longer being allowed or used.

The truth is out there. . . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Do the Dolphins actually have a quarterback? Could they get one on loan from the Bucs?

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

sfskin, I think the Dolphins will be running 'The Waterboy' offense this season. Take three knees, then punt.

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

If Brett Favre wanted to teabag me, I'd let him. I just can't stop talking about him.

Posted by: Tony Kornheiser | August 7, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

sicwidit--I'm buying in to all of your rules. Your rules rule.

Posted by: Mull It | August 7, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay, one and all, it's confession time. I am the one who made the hammy/hemmy post. I remember Nate asking, "Has the blog peaked?"
I am proud to say that the hammy/hemmy post was one of the all time great posts. That must make me the literary genius, or is that jittery lenius? Or is it hammeny hemminius? Or is it Sean Hemminy?

Posted by: Mr. Chili | August 7, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Did I retire? I can't remember?

Posted by: Trent Green | August 7, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Teabag? Reminds me of an old National Lampoon cartoon, where one woman says to the other "then what did you do with your teabag"

If you saw it, you rolling

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, BTW, I still think there's a connection. Consider a player with a certain vascular defect(ation) who, while running, tenses his glute in order to prevent a protrusion. Such a player may have a tendency toward a worsening hemmy/hammy connection.

Posted by: Mr. Chili | August 7, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Chili, so what are you suggesting? That a player with said affliction might be better off if he wore a butt plug on game day?

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Great, great, we let an aussie on the blog and now we're talking butt plugs....

Posted by: Skinz | August 7, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Not my fault!

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

My solution Mr. kost52 would be to treat the affliction aggressively so as to eliminate the need for the glute tension. Let the muscles flow freely, as it were.

Posted by: Mr. Chili | August 7, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to sell the two tickets I have for the Bills game this Saturday. Green parking pass comes with it. I can't make it to the game on Saturday and just found out I had to do something else. My wife is lucky that this is preseason.

Section 421, Row 27, Seats 19 and 20 along with a Green Parking Pass.

Looking for best offer, and I will deliver them personally so you can get them on time. Hoping to resolve this soon, so I can drop them to you Tomorrow. I'm in Odenton.

Email me brianbotts29@yahoo.com

Let me know,

Botts

Posted by: Botts | August 7, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

he's probably the THE BEST blocking RB in the league right now.

He's a tough hombre.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 7, 2008 6:43 PM

Amen!!!

Posted by: frediefritz | August 7, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of butts, there's your old boy Mark Brunell getting knocked onto his!

Posted by: SMACK | August 7, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey, check it out, on the NFL.com website, they have a 'This Day In The NFL" section, todays is -
'August 7, 1999
The Denver Broncos defeated the San Diego Chargers 20-17 in an exhibition game played at Stadium Australia in Sydney.'

That's the only game I've ever been to! Can't believe it was 9 years ago!

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I know that everyone is tired of FAVRE-GATE, but here's an interesting take on the whole ordeal by Jason Whitlock over at FOX Sports. Puts it in a different perspective that I hadn't thought of.

Posted by: RITCA | August 7, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Virgil Blacksburg sorry I couldnt respond earlier the system maintenance screwed me up. You will see a few skins fans at Cheyenne Grill and the Jocks and Jills on Peachtree. There was a bar across the street from the old Gold Club that was the "official" Redskins bar but Im not sure if it is still there. What part of town are you in?

Posted by: G in the Atl | August 7, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Go figure....Brunell just completed a 49 yard pass play...

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Whitlock can sometimes be a little wild in his opinion, but he is dead right on this one. very good article, thanks RITCA. 16 great years and he gets the boot for an unproven QB who hasn't played but one game. heres hoping the packers have a terrrible season.

Posted by: T | August 7, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

SIC'S Top 5 Snyder Era Moments

5) LaVar Arrington intercepts Carolina pass and scores...turns the season around

4) Sean Taylor interception against Dallas

3) 2004 Playoff Run (Sellars waving Portis around the corner.

2) Joe Gibbs returns

1) Brunell to Moss...twice against Dallas

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

58 YAC?

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

So Kost, when do you see game 2 (which would tie you with me for games seen in person)?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Sic - what about Arrington knocking Aikman out of football?

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

SICS FAVORITE PLAYS OF THE JOE GIBBS I ERA

10) Joe Washington catches touchdown to beat da' Raiders!!!!

9) Riggins takes a bow at RFK

8) Joe Jacoby pulls with that club on his hand.

7) Thiesmann to Brown...touchdown!!!

6) Danny White gets f****ed up at RFK

5) Darryl Grant's touchdown against Dallas!

4) Art Monk becomes all time receptions leader

3) Darryl Green runs down Dorsett

2) Darryl Green's punt return at Soldier Field

1) Riggins trucks Don Mc. Neal

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh. Yeah...DiK

Honorable Mention...

-Lavar knocks out Aikman

Honorable Mention Gibbs I moments

How could I forget(bad sic...bad, bad sic...)

Mark Mosely kicks the winning FG in the snow against the Giants.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Well I had planned on trying to make it over this season for a game or two, but unfortunately the saving isn't going anywhere near as well as I need it to. And I just can't bear to follow TE's "Stop Buying Beer" saving plan.

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

My heart just lept at the Mosley FG! lol.

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I hated when...

1) Stephen Davis fumbles on the 1 yard line.

2) Rocket Ishmael caught the TD in OT

3) "I can't wait till' next year.

4) "Good Day for pitchin"..."Well, he did it in Osaka"..."Jim Hayslett"..."Well men, we ended up 5-11, not very good"

5) Jeff George was out QB.

6) When Gibbs stuck with Brunell even though he knew he was hurt

7) The 2000 Skins'

8) Tiki Barber racked up 243 yds at Fed Ex

9) Carlos Rodgers dropped that pick against the Seahawks

10) When Sean Taylor got killed.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

58 YAC?

Posted by: kost52 | August 7, 2008 9:22 PM

hillarious. but if he threw 9 yards backwards it would count as a rush. it was probably a WR screen broken. I missed it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

sic man you hate s. davis....I happen to love that dude, one of my all time faves...

but whateves different strokes and all, like the rest of your lists

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Nah...Nah...Stephen Davis was cool. Just think if he were around in the Gibbs era. Now that's the between the tackles back Gibbs would like.

I was just crushed when he put it on the ground against the Cardinals.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

to me, the spurrier years were the lowest I have ever felt as a skins fan.....and the way the treated Davis was a disgrace....man those were a dark 2 years....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

The Spurrier years were pure HELL!!! This organization is light years past that debacle. What game was that where we had like 4 false starts in a row. I'd love to have a beer with Samuels and Jansen to hear the Spurrier stories

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Sure Spurrier was spurrilous (sp?!?) And Norv was a bore. But does anyone remember the horror that was .... Pardee Ball?!?

UGH!

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

shane matthews, wuerfel, jaquez green, trung canidate, rob johnson, chad "All 6" Mortons, darrell russell, walter rasby, justin scaggs, kenny watson....

shudder...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | August 7, 2008 6:43 PM

I think they WANTED it, they just didn't land it (Chad Johnson) ... unless and until you count the PREseason plash, Jason Taylor ... which is a plash I am still enjoying and I haven't seen him play as a Skin yet.

I agree with the sentiment that The Tuna would be "hanging Chad" by the second half of Week One if Pennington went to Miami.

I have no problem entering Portis into the LaDainian program, but the contrast of his griping with Smith's gushing can't be a good thing for the Portis brand.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Pardee was even better than spurrier.....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

What happened? I entered my name ... but the post (2nd at 10pm) shows up as "Anonymous". I feel so dirty.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

The parting of ways with Walter Rasby made roster space for one Mike Sellers ... because Royal moved up to #1 TE/H-back, Cooley (draft pick) #2 TE/H-back, and voila (though as a non-French, I think it should be spelled wallah), Mike Sellers.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I think I agree with u cL, but it sure didn't feel that way at the time. From Lombardi to Allen to ... Pardee?...

The Spurrier decision made me mad 'cause after seeing Dallas do so well w/ my 'Canes - instead of trying to build from that base... the Danny goes to ... the Gators?! Those guys didn't do well in the pros...

Posted by: Dik | August 7, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of monobloggery, I have to come clean that my spurt blogs up here are because I'm on vacation ... hence a disembodied (or, at least, disencubicled) existence. Up here in northern Vermont (aka where the Quebecois come to buy their gas), it has rained EVERY day since we got here.

Also, in the event you are still logged on, cL, lemme be the first to impart to you the first rule of being the partner of a mother:

When Mommy is happy, everyone is happy.

[This is an undeniable truth and leads to the second rule, a corollary of the first: When Daddy is happy, no one cares.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Kenny Watson is still in the league.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Marvin "Who Moved the Cheese" Lewis must have a major boner for Watson...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

The Kenny Watson on the Bengals?

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

yeah him.....he started for skins during games in the spurrier years.....thats how Lewis knows him..

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Top 5 of the Gibbs 1 era:

1. Doug Williams hits Ricky Sanders for 80 yds
2. Doug Willaims hits Gary Clark for a 20-something TD
3. Tim Smith takes it to the house
4. Doug Williams hits Ricky Sanders again on a 50 yarder
5. Clint Didier grabs a TD in the back of the end zone

And to think, they all happened in the same quarter :)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

At least Kenny Watson was free. Trung Canidate costed a draft pick and was equally sh*tty.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Kost, did you check out the video I posted?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke....

Wow...those are memorable times but Top 5??? It's your list so I respect it.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Whew...the Spurrier years...

Taylor Jacobs
Ade Jimoh
"Darcarian" McCants

Aw. man...talk about garbage...

Posted by: sicwidit | August 7, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 10:10 PM

And, given the object of your statement, it should be spelled Walla Walla!

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 7, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Steve Spurrier was EPIC FAIL

But he was simply an incompetent simpleton who was unwilling to put in the effort to be successful.

Norv Turner was and is a "core CowPie" in every sense of the word. Seven wasted years.
Get the f-ing marbles out of your damm mouth and shut the f up about Darrell Green, and everything else you don't know about football.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 7, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

while dislike for norval is very high, i do have some good memories from those years, and we felt like a real (mediocre) team at least....spurrier was bizarro world....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Why must you mention that freakin fumble!

S Davis was cool with me, UNTIL THEN!

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

jeez one mistake, the dude balled and gave his heart and soul for years....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Blog Peeps; Top Level Questions and Head scratchers;

(1) If Vinny and Dan knew Zorn would run the west coast offense, and everybody knew Todd Collins was a system QB (*10 years)in the departed Al Saunders system...why the heck did they sign him to a rich deal? Why not get a proven west coast QB to back up Campbell and help show him the ropes?

(2) Why pass on DJ Hackett, a proven third receiver, who only wanted a modest payday and already knew Zorn's system, to instead blow off two draft picks who's combined money is waaay more and neither appears to be slated for the number 3 WR job?

(3) Am I the only one worried to hear Thrash has a "stranglehold" on the number three receiver spot? Did "Rendle El" as Campbell calls him get taller, or did Moss grow a foot? This is the same squad (QB and receivers that could not score a TD for like 8 games) Where is the tall redzone jump ball target? Haven't we seen what this group can do already? If they succeed is it due to Campbell or the playcalling? Could they be that much better as a group this year??

(4) No wonder Pete Schmitt quit. Whats with all the hiring and firing, is it normal to sign so many players and then release them a short time later? Where do the Skins match up in number of moves per year against the league average?

(5) Who is going to start at LB with Washington and Fletcher if RockyMac can't go? Fincher?

(6)Are we really having multiple hamstring injuries AGAIN?? Is this ground hog day? Thomas is out, Mix is out, Landry is out, all hammies, bad knees (Blades, Rogers, Macintosh, Erasmus James),2 broken hands, upper ankles Wade and Heyer. I mean damn, its the walking wounded out there. Is this normal compared to the rest of the league? It seems like our veterans and our rookies are getting the same injuries.

(7) Did we really do anything on defense to address the fact that two of our division rivals feature tall dominating Wide receivers? Plex and TO? Can we really hope to ever compete in our own division without an answer to those two? Is REED DOUGHTY putting fear in either of those receivers??

Posted by: DTC | August 7, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 10:56 PM

That's because Norv should have been fired after 3 years, but was given an extension instead that f'd us up. He was here so long, we kind of just got use to Norv being Norv.....

Must I remind you of Norv's key stat during his time with us? DO I?

Games decided by 7 points or less, Norv with the skins was (paraphrasing but close) 7 - 27. RIDICOULOUS!

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

was the fumble in the boomer 5 td game?

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

jeez one mistake, the dude balled and gave his heart and soul for years....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:18 PM

Yeah. I don't hold a grudge at this time, but come on. I lived all my teenage years with Norv for that moment.........

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Sic -- what made that quarter even sweeter -- my Mom was in the crowd, surrounded by some noisy Bronco fans. Well, noisy for a quarter ... :)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

4th...like I said I am an anti Norv fan, just wasnt quite as depressing or upsetting as the spurrier years....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

For a single season heartbreak, it's really, really difficult to match Richie Petitbon's team going 4-12 in '93, two years removed from the SB win and one year after a wild card berth and one playoff win. Watching that team crumble, taking Petitbon with it, was really tough...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

good point nate

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

One time in training camp, I came close to the sidelines & I saw Norv Turners face up close...I just went off punching people...

Posted by: Mike Westbrook | August 7, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Jack Pardee years?

I recall as a teenager reading in the WP how George Allen had stripped this team of any future, and so Jack Pardee took over a team w/ many well beyond their prime.

In 78 the Skins jumped out to 6-2 at the halfway point and limped home to finish 8-8.
It was Joey T's first year to be the #1 QB.

In 79 the Skins went 10-6 but lost a heart breaker in Dallas 35-34 after leading 34-21 in the 4th Quarter.

Riggo retired, the team and city sulked all off season, was so keyed up to destroy Dallas that the first game of 80 was at home vs. Dallas and we lost on MNF. I recall it so well, they never recovered and finished 6-10.

Pardee was fired, and Beathard insisted to Jack Kent Cooke that they hire some assistant from the Chargers who had never yet been a head coach at any level!

Joe Jackson Gibbs!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 7, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

In retrospect, I'm glad that Spurrier rolled out. He def was embarrsaing for the org...

I can't say I'm anti Norv because of so many cherished teenage memories........

* 7-1 only to not make the playoffs
* Always losing to Dallas
* Alstot running 35 yards horizontally to get a 3 yard TD in the playoffs
*All the freaking close games we lost. And, trust me, there was alot.
*Going through atleast 3-4 Kickers per year.
*3-13 in his 1st year, though the upside to that was my mother was able to buy me all Redskin gear on the cheap that year....

I mean, come on. We had the players to do something big:

*LArry Centers
*B Mitch
*S Alexander
*Fryar
*Connell was good before he become Five Finger Frankie
*Brad
*Green
*Champ
*Marco Coleman
*Lang
*K Mitch
*Eddie Mason
*Shawn Barber (was a BEAST)
*Mark Carrier
*Andre Reed
*Sellers
*Thrash
*Young LaVar

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

An excellent point. Todd should have known to move on and Skins should have known to let him

Can't agree on this. Hackett was noting special, the Skins take a chance on getting a top big WR for a long time. A risk worth taking.

They could be a lot better. Healthy o-line and a quantum jump in Campbell's experience level. Better play calling. But the point of Thrash as the #3 WR can't be overlooked. Not a lot of talent there.

The 78th guy on the roster quits. So what.

Eery team has places of concern. For the Skins, LB is number 1 right now. WR is #2 with the rookies both hurting.

Too many hammies, but yes, injuries are a part of the game ... for everyone

The defense shut down both Dallas and NYG with the same defense they have this year ... except for Jason Taylor. Yes, we can compete. We have plenty of talent

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

And Stephan Davis as well.......

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

4th, dont forget Ken Harvey

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

4th, and Henry Ellard

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

As I get older, my memory has gotten worse. Sometimes, that is a good thing. The Norv Turner years, for example/

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

MY point exactly.

I can't remember when was HArvey's last year, but I remember him holding it down for us during the rough years where we had no shot with Shuler/Trent/Gus.....

Ellard was the Man.

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

DTC,

I think you present the glass half empty view well, solid points.....

You own point that is a crazy stretch is point 4, thats just dumb...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 7, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Ten of Joe Gibbs 1?

10 Moseley kicks OT FG to beat Philly in game one of 82 season

9 Theismann to Alvin Garret vs. Det for 3 TD's in Playoff win over Detroit

8 Dave Butz stops Tony Dorsett on 4th and 1 at Dallas in 31-10 romp in Dallas in 83

7 Theismann to Art Monk vs. Cardinals to help win division in 84

6 Doug Williams to Ricky Sanders in SB 22

5 Timmy Smith out races Denver in SB 22

4 Darrell Green leaps Bears in bitter cold in Chicago Playoffs; Skins win 21-14

3 Skins stop Vikings on 4th down goal line stand to win NFC 87 championship

2 Daryl Grant INT TD vs. Dallas to win NFC Championship sending Skins to SB 17.

1 Riggo on 4th 1 over 'Phins in SB 17.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 7, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Gentlemen it is not nice to make a girl(lady although that is up for debate) cry. . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

And Big ups to the line:

Janen, Tre Johnson, and Cory Raymer..

Special shout out to Shar!

Posted by: 4th | August 7, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

The Spurrier years - nothing is worse. N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

I think it was worse being a Skins fan in those 2 years than being a Bucs fan for the first 20 seasons of that franchise.

Everytime it brings me back to . . .Jeff George. . . the horror . . .the horror. . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Does everyone really think Brett Favre is so very very very good in the 17th year of his career that despite being in a totally new town, new offensive system and having to play in the Wind Fun House that is the Meadowlands that the Jets are actually going to the playoffs?

Ah yes and look there is a unicorn running down the street.

I need to stop watching NFL Network for a couple days.

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Excellent point

Posted by: Harry Annus | August 8, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:03 AM

Posted by: | August 8, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

First it was the telegraph.
Then we made it to the moon.

And now once again America proves why we're number one!

Energy independence and cars powered by hot air are not far behind!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Top Ten Redskins of Gibbs 1.

10 Joe Jacoby

9 Dave Butz

8 Gary Clark

7 Ernest Byner

6 Joe Theismann

5 Jim Lachey

4 John Riggins

3 Wilber Marshall

2 Art Monk

1 Darrell Green

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

So I see that the Great Upgrade of 2008 resulted in absolutely no changes except when you forget your name it puts "Anonymous" instead.

Wow. What will they think of next?

Previous post was me.

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Ray - I vote for an honorable mention for Chip Lohmiller. I realize kickers really shouldn't make these types of lists but he was our last good/solid/reliable kicker.

Plus he was leading scorer for years. And he made that great ad for what was it? Pringles? Doritos? Can't remember.

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The Spurrier years - nothing is worse. N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:00 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
but sfskin, Jeff George was not in the Spurrier years!
He was w/ Marty S.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

but sfskin, Jeff George was not in the Spurrier years!
He was w/ Marty S.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:15 AM

Yeah I know but I feel like one directly led to the other. . . . the horror . . . the horror. . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey sf!
Funny you would mention Lohmiller.
When I started the list, I actually had Chip #10, then decided on Moseley because he won so many close games in the 82 season breaking the record for consecutive FG in that season.

But then I determined a kicker should not be in the top ten for the Gibbs 1 era which was 12 seasons... but I did consider it.

thanks sf

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Skins game ever ... crushing the Cowboys to go to the first Super Bowl in 1972.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 8, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Biggest Busts of the Post Gibbs 1 era?

Norv Turner

Dan Snyder [in early years]

Jeff George

Deion Sanders

Rod Gardner

Steve Spurrier

Danny Wuerful

Desmond Howard

Andre Johnson

Heath Shuler

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Just a reminder that there is space remaining in the second RI fantasy f-ball league (the one I created since Redcoat's filled up and some peeps wanted to participate)...

Really happy to have some folks signed up who I've never connected with before, who may or may not include The Truth and some of our "anonymous regulars." Should be a nice mix, or a nice Mix, or some such as.

Anyway, space remaining, at the moment. This is a *free* league -- no money down, no cash prizes, etc. Drop me a line at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com if you wanna join...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

favorite regular season game. Skins vs Miami in 1974(?) at RFK. Griese vs SJ9 in a second half shootout. Griese puts the Fins up 17-13 inside 2 minutes.

Sonny had tossed 3 picks in the 1st half, his first start of the season. Second half, the rust was off and he was on fire against a very good Fin defense.

Herb Mul-Key returns the kick to the 40. 100 seconds, 2 time outs.

Fist play, Sonny has to side step the rush and flips it to Moses Denson who fights for 6 yards. Clock runs. No huddle. Sonny takes a short drop, throws a turn in to Jerry Smith for 10 yards and first down.

No huddle. Sonny throws a square out to Charley Taylor on the left side for 4 yards. #42 goes out of bounds. 2nd and 6 at the Fin 40.

4th play, Sonny takes a full drop, steps up. Charley Taylor makes the catch on the right side, inside the 25 and goes down on the infield dirt. The dust clears and its first down at the 22. Time out.

Sonny takes the snap drops back, steps to his left to avoid the rush and hits Roy Jefferson at the 6. First and goal. Final time out.

Next play, Moses Denson runs a circle pattern. The ball and Denson are about to met at the goal line. Except the Fin defender sees what is about to happen and hauls Denson to the ground. Most blatant pass interference ever. No flag. The Fin defender would later say 'of course I tackled him, otherwise it would have been a TD"

Last play. Sonny drops back throws to Larry Smith at the 8. Smith goes straight to the goal line, where he is hit and stopped. Ref signals TD. Skins win 20-17. No one could tell from any of the replays if he got in or not, but the ref was in perfect position to make the call.

Sonny goes 19 of 25 in the 2nd half and finishes with over 300 yards.

My memory may be spotty, but that comeback was perfection.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 8, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Favorite Games ever?
That is a great memory for me as well as a 9 year old boy 26-3 over Roger and the Cowgirls.

SBXVII 27-17 over 'Phins
SBXXII 42-10 over Denver
SBXXVI 37-24 over Buffalo

82 NFC Championship over Dallas 31-17
72 NFC Championship over Dallas 26-3
87 Playoff win over Bears 21-14
87 NFC Championship over Vikings 17-10
86 Playoff win at Chicago 27-13
90 Playoff win at Philly 20-6
91 Playoff win vs. Atlanta

83 Skins rout Dallas in Big D to win Division 31-10!

Skins beat Dallas on MNF in Dallas 14-13 with two late TD in 2004

Skins trail Dallas 13-0 but rally to win 24-20 in 72.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Count me in.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 8, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Al,

Yes, Yes, I forgot all about that game
I really was doing it from memory.

Now, you must have some video of that game?
Or paper article you've read over the years?

I recall Sonny was appearing to choke but then suddenly did get it turned around.
I was only 11, but do remember Larry Smith scored the winning TD.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Well at least now I'm crying tears of joy. Now that's the way to make a gal cry.

Posted by: sfskin | August 8, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

other fun games coming to mind:
in 90 Skins trailed Det up there really big and came back to win in OT led by Jeff Rutledge at QB.

Also in 83 Skins trailed LA Raiders at RFK big and came back to win late as Joey T hit Joe Washington for the winning score. I think it was something like 37-35.

I can't believe I didn't mention earlier:
I attended the 82 season game where Moseley hit the game winner in the snow.
We went crazy.
You see, it was the first time we had clinched a playoff birth since the 76 season!
I was 19 years old; great memory.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Last one for me tonight.
i recall as a kid a MNF game at RFK vs. Dallas

We led late and Dallas drove and Craig Morton hit Walt Garrison w/ a pass and S Ken Houston grabbed him at like the 2 and would not let him get into the End Zone to preserve the win! I think it was 73.

Good Night Everybody!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

no other rb in the game that i know of got hurt and lost a season to a preseason game where his crappy qb thru a pass with no arm it got picked off and he fell down three times chasing back the return and seperated his freakin shoulder tackling the guy. in a worthless meanless retarded preseason game.

if i remember correctly we went 5-11 that year so not only did it ruin that rb's season it ruined the season for all the skins and thier fans

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

all from memory Ray, no video, no write-up. I also recall Sonny leading the Skins comeback in '72 vs Dallas. Listened to it on the radio as the family was driving home from Jersey. Sonny was brilliant that season, right until he stepped into that hole vs the Giants and snapped his achilles.

Prior to the injury, Sonny had gone 32 of 42 for over 500 yards, 2td, 1 pick. En fuego. Kilmer led that team over Dallas in the playoffs. Larry Brown was terrific that year, MVP.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 8, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

That Garrison play happened at midnight, lots of kids went to school tired the next day. I think it was the last play of the game. Classic finish

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 8, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 7, 2008 11:46 PM

Are you guys forgetting that it was Jim Zorn who personally flew to Todd Collins' home to recruit him? Not Dan. Not Vinny. Jim Zorn wanted Todd Collins for his backup QB.

I'm thinking you're giving up on Todd too quickly. And, by the way, we weren't the only ones trying to recruit him. A few teams were considering him as a starter, or at least to compete for starter. Jim Zorn had to convince him to be a backup.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | August 7, 2008 9:07 PM

---------------------------------------

Posted by: T | August 7, 2008 9:18 PM
------------------------------------------

I'm usually on board with the ramblings of "Big Sexy", but Whitlock is WAY off on this one. Not once in his whole "office politics" diatribe does he mention the fact that Employee #4 threatens to quit every year for the last 5 years or so, and this year ACTUALLY DID. I don't care how productive you are, there aren't many people out there that can threaten to quit for 5 years, finally quit, get replaced (by a guy you've been training for 3 years), and still get your job back as if nothing happened. Favre got a dose of reality and needs to learn how to deal with it.

And in Chris Larry fashion, I'll add F Jett Favre and F the Packers.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Mull It,

I agree that folks up here are quitting on Collins pretty quickly, but the Skins still f-ed up by resigning him to that kind of money. He's making more than the starter! What kind of message is that sending? I would have offered him $1 million a year, and if he doesn't like it--see ya later. I think the difference between Collins and a guy like Frerotte or Dilfer is marginal.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 6:37 AM

Thanks. Zorn thinks otherwise. As a judge of QB's, I'll still trust Zorn. Zorn's not infallible, but he's seen and evaluated a lot more QB's than we have.

"The message" that I get is that the Redskins will pay the market price to keep personnel that the coach wants. They weren't bidding against themselves. And, if I'm Campbell, I'm loving that message: if I continue to improve, the Redskins will pay me for it.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Hope you're right, Mull It. If we're lucky, we'll never find out...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I attended the 82 season game where Moseley hit the game winner in the snow.
We went crazy.
I was 19 years old; great memory.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 8, 2008 12:51 AM

To all of you who actually remember Gibbs I: be thankful :)

I have only the most vague memory of watching the Skins beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl--didn't know any of the players names back then, only that Gibbs never smiled on the sidelines (until the very end AFTER he got the Gatorade bath). Very confusing for a 7 year old girl.

Posted by: redskirt | August 8, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

I should add that after living through Gibbs II, I know his personality much better--so it makes sense now ;)

Posted by: redskirt | August 8, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskirt | August 8, 2008 7:10 AM

You're luckier than I am: though I was alive for the glory years, I was living in PA and my dad wasn't into sports at all. I didn't move to the area until the Richie Pettibon Experiment, and by the time I got into the Skins, the Norv Era was just beginning. That's my first Redskins memories! All I've got from Gibbs 1.0 is whatever America's Game gives me on NFLN. So be glad you've at least got memories of the 1991 team that is still one of the most underrated teams of all time!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey, don't sell yourself short, Mull It. I believe you've evaluated quite a lot of talent in your time.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Brownwood, I will be thankful for what I have :)

(and I was referring to the 1987 team, Super Bowl XXII...I guess I was only six when the game was actually played. Embarassing, but I'll put it out there anyway.)

I do remember being AGHAST that Norv Turner could become the head coach of the Redskins. Wasn't he the enemy? How could this happen?? Etc.

Posted by: redskirt | August 8, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

When Mommy is happy, everyone is happy.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2008 10:16 PM

dcsween, I've known and lived by the first truth for nearly 12 years but LAUGH MY GUTS OUT have been blinded to the fact of truth number 2.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 8, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey, don't sell yourself short, Mull It.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 7:25 AM

God, another joke about my height. Now I know how Dan Snyder feels. Except for the part about being rich and owning the team and hanging out with Tom Cruise and Dick Clark. Otherwise, life as Dan Snyder isn't all I was hoping for.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey, don't sell yourself short, Mull It.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 7:25 AM

God, another joke about my height.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 7:29 AM

Wait. This was a joke about my height, not my, uh, "prick" this time, right?

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

you got it, brother :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

From the ESPN Camp Confidential that brownwood posted:

Everyone was excited about Colt Brennan's debut in Canton, Ohio, but don't forget about former Marshall quarterback Derek Devine. Quarterback specialists such as Zorn love surrounding themselves with as many quarterbacks as possible. And he told me on Tuesday that Devine "has a hose."

Is that what Zorn is looking for in his QB? A hose? I thought you wanted one with "a gun" or "a cannon" or "a big arm." This sounds like a new throwing motion we'll be looking at. But can you put him and Rabach on the field at the same time?

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

first!

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskirt | August 8, 2008 7:25 AM

I still believe that whole hiring was an elaborate ruse to sabotage the Redskins. Norv and Jerry Jones have always been close and I think that Norv came here just to tank this team. Think about it--all the old Cowboys brought in (Galbraith, Deion), the close games lost, the head-to-head losses to Dallas--it was a conspiracy!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 8, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

DTC from your:

Blog Peeps; Top Level Questions and Head scratchers;

(1) Todd Collins was a system QB, etc.

I believe this is the way Danny rewards his Redskins heros. He didn't have to give Darrell Green the big contract at the end of his career but did anyway. I also think they wanted a smart guy who would be the back-up and have no advantage over Jason Campbell to shake his confidence.

(2) Why pass on DJ Hackett, etc.?

Two 2nd rounders aren't going to break the bank and both have higher reward with the slightest of more risk. Zorn knew Hackett and didn't go fishing so what does that tell you?

(3a) Am I the only one worried to hear Thrash has a "stranglehold" on the number three receiver spot?

No, but maybe no one should be worried. It wasn't that long ago that James Thrash was the #1 receiver for a NFC team that made it multiple times to the Conference Championship Game. At 33, Thrash still is in good condition - younger than T.O. The one time he got his opportunity to start for the 'skins (Week 10 against the Iggles),two things happened: 1) he scored two TD's and 2) he got injured to fall back to special teams obscurrity once again. Skin's can do worse at 3rd WR and HAVE!

(3b-f)Did "Rendle El" as Campbell calls him get taller, or did Moss grow a foot? [No, that's silly.] This is the same squad (QB and receivers that could not score a TD for like 8 games) [Week 10 Thrash is the 1st WR to score TD.] Where is the tall redzone jump ball target? [Cooley, Yoder, Davis, Kelly, Thomas, Sellers, need more?] Haven't we seen what this group can do already? [Pre-injury? During-injury? or Post-Injury? or Moss 2005?,]If they succeed is it due to Campbell or the playcalling? [Both likely, but you always got to look at execution only 3 incompletions in exhibition game points to unfathomable execution already.] Could they be that much better as a group this year?? [Hell, yeah! Barring injuries to the o-line and wrs you should expect Cooley and or Moss or Randle El to make the pro-bowl. ARE playing in the slot should see more TDs like the opening drive against the Colts and Wes Welker like match-ups.]

(4&6) Every team is struggling with injuries and the roster limit this year. There are Hammy issues everywhere.

H.B. Blades is the primary back-up for any of the linebacker positions, Khary Campbell and Matt Sinclair are likely special teams guys that would be next in line. I also fear the depth at linebacker but in this era of football with 3 WRs being a most common formation defenses have to play a lot of nickel (5DB, 2LB) and dime (6DB, 1 LB).

Reed Doughty doesn't have to. This defense is much better with Jason Taylor. Springs and Rogers match-up with Owens and Burress as long as Landry is back there and the guys on the edge get there 3/4 second faster than last year.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 8, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

portis needs to play in preseason because he does not atart off very well in regular season games. he can not seem to find openings in the begginning.

Posted by: rls1041 | August 8, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Portis need to stop believing that he is Tomlinson, he is no were near that good. He played terible at the begining of the season last year because he did not get any work in the preseason. Everyone else takes a risk playing in the preseason and so should he. So in short CP stop being a little B!tch and do what you are paid to do.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 8, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Coach Janky Spanky says that I ain't playing Saturday

Posted by: Kid Bro Sweets | August 8, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I don't know which side of the argument I'd choose, but half the people up here argue that Portis needs to play in the preseason, and the other half think that Portis is on the brink of breaking down from too many carries.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 8, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

It's probably some critically important facet of my background (and Dana Scully can drop by anytime to investigate), but my two favorite football memories are the SB comeback against Denver, and a vaguely similar one done by Michigan against Illinois in 1981.
I was a freshman, sitting in the end zone, and there was one lone Illini alumnus -- old guy -- who'd had the misfortune to buy a scalped ticket in our section. Illinois went up 21-0 quickly, and we sat there stunned.
There was exactly one happy person of the 30,000 people in the end zone. Had this been Philadelphia, there would have been a serious problem.
As it was, we started scoring touchdowns as the first quarter drew to a close. The final score was 70-21.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 8, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"Just go out and run frickin 7 plays, you'll be fine."

Really? Because I seem to recall him getting hurt on the third play of the first preseason game a few years ago....

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | August 8, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse