Portis still listed No. 1 on the Redskins' depth chart

Running back Clinton Portis is still listed atop the team's most recent depth chart, and Ryan Torain, activated last Saturday from the practice squad, is listed as Portis's backup.

The Redskins didn't rely on the running game much in the second half, but Torain saw more action in the final two quarters against the Rams, and Coach Mike Shanahan said the game plan called for Torain to play on first and second downs. Shanahan said Monday this was in part due to an injured right hand that was bothering Portis.

The depth chart released to the media each week is not necessarily the one the coaching staff relies upon. For example, the chart released Monday night has Torain listed behind Portis and ahead of Keiland Williams, but there are other a couple of other head-scratchers.

For example, Derrick Dockery is still listed as No. 1 left guard, even though Kory Lichtensteiger started in his place Sunday at St. Louis and played the entire game. And Reed Doughty is still listed as the starting free safety, even though a healthy Kareem Moore returned to the lineup last weekend and started. In fact, the depth chart still lists Moore as the third-string free safety, which clearly is not the case.

By Rick Maese  | September 27, 2010; 9:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Punting auditions scheduled for Tuesday
Next: Cooley plays down lack of involvement in the offense

Comments

first and panties!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 27, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

First....to call portis gonezo next yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

when I was up here rooting for campbell portis haynesworth rogers mcIntosh, being optimistic, I was getting hated on.

then I just wasn't feeling all this superbowl dynasty bandwagon BS, because shanny and mcSoup came here, and all the haters start pointing the finger at me.

everyone wanted to blame the wrong people and still do, I'm calling it like I see it and we just got shallaqued by the Rams. where is the new attitude

same S differnt Y,

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 9:06 PM

Still rooting for and placing individual players over the team? I've been saying this to you for TWO F'ING YEARS...Root for the UNIFORM and not individual players.

You feel spurned by the way they treated Zorn, Haynesworth, Campbell, Rodgers, Cerrato, and coming soon…Portis? This is the reason for your moronic and incoherent rants?

You're a GROUPIE, not a fan.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 27, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

same S differnt Y,

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 9:06 PM

You're a GROUPIE, not a fan.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 27, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Sons of b!tches...2x post

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 27, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Thnx diesel

I thought I was the only one who thought pea brain was a "de da de"

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

My poops are always #2 on any/all depth charts.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

You're a GROUPIE, not a fan.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 27, 2010 10:08 PM

He's a ball washing sycophant that bashes people one day and licks their balls clean the next all to suit whatever crazy mood he happens to be in that day.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, you called it dude is not there mentally...

Let's just hope he doesn't make the same mistake as his dad n reproduce...

I wonder how many different handles he's got

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm always optimistic! We beat Philly and we take back control of the NFC East

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm always optimistic! We beat Philly and we take back control of the NFC East

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:53 PM |

Just curious how long have you been a Skins fan?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 10:17 PM
---------

Maybe instead of licking balls clean he uses that Axe bodyscrubber thing in that commercial with Jamie Presley.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm always optimistic! We beat Philly and we take back control of the NFC East

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:53 PM |

Just curious how long have you been a Skins fan?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I have to believe. Been doing it for 55 years (born 2-15-55, Washingtron, DC so born a Skins fan, can't stop now. Sunday was tough though. Seemed as though I had been there before.

Posted by: msrent | September 27, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: msrent | September 27, 2010 11:25 PM

Oh I'm not trying to insult him I'm just curious. I'm with you, read my last post last night. Born into it, die bleeding it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 11:22 PM |

No matter how he does it the end result is the same. Some dudes balls are clean and peabrain has a smile on his face...not that there is anything wrong with that. I guess.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Vick 583 yards passing and 4 TD. D Jackson 298 yards and 3 TD, this weak. Get haslett out of here, he was coaching arena football last year. 3-4 sucks and the players no it. Andre Carter had a career high in sacks last year, now they got him out of place and he sucks. Are u kidding me. Fire Haslett PLEASE.

Posted by: Jmel1 | September 27, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

what is the point of this post if the info is known to be wrong? Please hire keim. this is a joke.

Posted by: the_shocker1 | September 27, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_shocker1 | September 27, 2010 11:31 PM

You're right. It's like a retardedwild hog is coming up with some of these.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Camp, what's ur take on our record this yr???

I think we may go from 7-9 to 9-7

Top ten draft pick sadly

This yr should be a good base yr to build off.

Id like to see what our percent of new starters is..

I expect a similar amount of new starters next yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jmel1 | September 27, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

That's exactly how I felt after the game. But I was ready to fire Kyle (or Daddy, whoever was actually calling the plays). Portis gets 45 yds on 7 carries in the first quarter, then he's out (one more carry). I'll take 180 yds rushing/game.
I'm calmed down now though. Til next week.

Posted by: msrent | September 27, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

That was along with Haslet by the way.

Posted by: msrent | September 27, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

This team lacks consistency....

From the starting lineup to the coaches to the coordinators.

We need to get a philosophy and let it develope!!!

Eveyones so quick to fire n start over... how bout we stick with a plan, for a change

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Camp, what's ur take on our record this yr???

I think we may go from 7-9 to 9-7

Top ten draft pick sadly

This yr should be a good base yr to build off.

Id like to see what our percent of new starters is..

I expect a similar amount of new starters next yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 11:37 PM |

A bunch of us put our predictions in the RI wiki before the season started and I chose 8-8. At a glance, with our schedule and the way we are playing right now 8-8 looks difficult. But I always thought that with a new offense, defense, coaches and players that it would yake some time for these guys to get it and gel. I think that we will see a different team in the second half of the year. They won't be world beaters but they'll be better. Having said that and looking at the schedule it's going to be tough to reach 8 wins. Of course I have to stick by my prediction though. I think we can beat the Giants, Detroit, possibly the Bucs and Jags, and Philly 1 out of the 2. We have to sneak another win somewhere to get to 8 wins.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Camp, what's ur take on our record this yr???

I think we may go from 7-9 to 9-7

Top ten draft pick sadly

This yr should be a good base yr to build off.

Id like to see what our percent of new starters is..

I expect a similar amount of new starters next yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 27, 2010 11:37 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I tell you what, if the Packers play like they did tonight then we have a chance there too. No one gets 17 penalties in 1 game and cruises to a win.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jmel1 |

Excatly. What happened to building your scheme around your best players? Carter has been the best DL for us over the past 3-4 years. Now we have some of the bloggas screaming for him to be traded Ridiculous.

This reminds me of when the "old ball Coach" didn't think Stephen Davis fit his scheme and shipped him out of here. We all know how that Trung Candidate swap worked out. Build your scheme around your players!

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but I'm agreeing with a lot of sentiment on here regarding Haslett. Fletcher doesn't look himself, Andre Carter looks like he's 4 steps behind every play, and our Safeties seem like they're being asked to do too much.

Which only makes sense when you're asking Haynesworth to "hold his ground" and "don't go into the backfield, no matter what."

The fact is that all the Alexander and Wilson talk was a bunch of talk. We don't have the personnel for a 3-4 Defense. Well, a GOOD coach, one with intelligence and creativity, might use the talent he has to come up with a Defense that can stop the run AND the pass, instead of showing up with a book and expecting everybody to suddenly become the Steelers D.

Showing up with a book... Hmmmmm. I remember another guy who showed up with a book. Granted, it was West Coast For Dummies, but still...

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 27, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 11:55 PM |

Comparing Spurrier as a pro coach and Shanahan is foolish at best. We all understand that the personnel don't currently fit the scheme and vice versa. But coaches run their schemes and players execute them. If they can't they get gone and new ones come in that are better suited. It would be nice if the coaches would "taylor a scheme" but for this group of players that's foolish. The simple fact of the matter is that the 3-4 is a more opportunistic defense and has more flexibility. It will take time and different players to execute properly. These guys have had 3, count em, 3 games in this system. Can't expect them to have perfected it or even do well in it yet. This is a long term plan no matter what "win now" philosophy people are buying into. The problem if you start firing coaches now is that we continue the same patterns that we have always had...and that's losing for the long run.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Ah same old same old mr poopy making pointless post diesal scamp and cali man making good post. same old redksins... Same old post from ignorant fans. DC hasn't changed in 55 years. Its week 3 wait till after this tough stretch to judge the offseason moves please. We are down but not out. Lets handle this game sunday that we've been preparing for 2 weeks. We pulled the classic look over a rookie qb and it bit us like it always does. Thank god its week 3 thats all i have to say

Posted by: patljr7 | September 28, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

How long before Snyder starts making googly eyes at Bill Cowher?

Posted by: Alan4 | September 28, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

No one's comparing Spurrier and Shanny. That was a comment about the bloggas saying AC99 should be out of here.

Good coaches in any sport taylor their scheme to the players. What you are saying is that we don't have the players to run this (agreed) and it doesn't matter because 3-4 concept is better. I got that and if the coaches are thinking this way and don't adjust the their sheme to fit the personel then they don't care about winning.

You can't say they are rebuilding or building for the future either or Shanny wouldn've loaded his roster with aging free agents and journeymen.

Anyway, great coaches maximize the talent they have and (yes 3 games in)it ain't happening.

Posted by: dcwun | September 28, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I did say I've calmed down now. I'm not calling for the coaches head(s) now that I've sobered up. In my 55 years I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. But that does include some SB trophies, a short time with Lombardi. All in all its been fun.

Posted by: msrent | September 28, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 28, 2010 12:18 AM

I'm sitting here wondering which coaches "adjust their schemes." Seems to me the successful ones these days have a scheme they run, implement it, get the players they want, and make minor adjustment thereafter. Maybe I'm wrong but I think, especially on defense, coaches have ascheme that they stick too. Look at the Ryans, they implement their schemes and get the players to run it. Even Bellicheck and Peyton, albeit to a lesser extent, have a specific scheme they run and expect the players to implement it. We've had 2 defensive coaches here recently that did exactly that as well. I think this "adjust their scheme" is an illusion born by irritation that the current players can't get it done. It's a way of not blaming the players but blaming the coaches for the sorry performances on the field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

The title of this post should be "Redskins Depth Chart Overdue for Update". What in the heck does this have to do with Portis and Torain?

Posted by: themantoyou | September 28, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 28, 2010 12:18 AM

I disagree. There's only 4 stopgap journeyman in Hicks, Galloway, Holliday and Buchanon and an aging quarterback. Carriker, Riley, Hensen, Armstrong, Torain, K. Williams, Jammal Brown, T. Williams, and a bunch of holdovers in Rogers, Cooley, Davis, DHall, Moore, Horton, Landry, and a bunch of other backups are still pretty young. The old guys that will be on there way out soon will be Portis, Daniels, The whole interior oline, Holliday, Galloway, Sellers, and a plethora of others I'm sure. Make no mistake, this is rebuilding while bringing in old guys that can either teach or lead for a year or 2.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Gotta go kiddies. Nice debatin' with ya dcwun. Hope I wasn't too much of an a hole to you. I'm sure we can all agree to this: GO SKINS!!! HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

New here. Die hard skins fan and long time football player. Mental mistakes and the biggest plays on defense we let down, to many LB covering. We make 4-5 more plays we win. That
Obviously goes for Houston as well.

Posted by: Warrng20 | September 28, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

I agree with what everyone is saying about the coaches not adapting their schemes to fit the players they have on the roster.

That said, Gibbs 1.0 went 0-5 before he made this realization and started changing his thought process.

Know hope.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 28, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

wow, is it the post season already? whaqt aterrible year we had. wait it's not even one quarter season played yet. how many teams are two games up on us? not many how many are one up on us? a few. we are in the thick of things league wide. our defense looks like something poopy left in the toilet as well it should three weeks in a new skin. players are having trouble adjusting to it but they will adjust. coaches are still learning their players strong points but they will learn. we have yet to play a game and get blown away with no hope of winning. say what you want about St. Louis but that team is still an NFL team not some pop warner gig. their first two games they lost by 6 points combined. enough rah rah. we got a divisional game coming up that IS winnable. beating Detroit and Jacksonville hardly makes one invincible. we now know we can run as well as pass. lets combine thye two and we can both eat at the clock and score quick. if we can do it consistently it will take pressure off the defense. remember the season is a marathon not a sprint. i wake up in the mornin with a feelin inside i take a deep breath and step outside and i scream at the top of my lungs 10-6 or bust

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 28, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Another vote here against the 3-4 defense.

Has anyone noticed a pattern during the Snyder era? It's simple - hire a new coaching staff with a significantly different philosophy than the last staff, the new schemes don't fit the holdover players, everybody screams "dump the bums", a new bunch of players are brought in, Danny loses patience and fires the coaches, rinse, repeat.

We had a decent 4-3 defense last year (front 7 at least) and players to match. Now we have a 3-4 that doesn't maximize those players, and it will probably take a couple of years of good drafts and FAs to create a good 3-4.

Gibbs 2.0's offense was based on running the ball, with a deep-throw QB. Cerrato / Zorn switch to a West Coast style that didn't fit the personnel.

Gibbs inherited Spurrier's players, which didn't fit Gibbs' style. Spurrier inherited Schottenheimer's players, who didn't fit Spurrier's style. Marty inherited Norv's players, who didn't fit...

Why do coaches (and fans) seem to think that schemes are more important than the players who have to make them work? You can draw all the marks on a white board you want, but it takes time to build a team through player acquisition, teaching, experience, adjustments, and building chemistry.

Since we seem to be stuck with a staff that is dead set on a 3-4, just call it what it is - "rebuilding". The Skins will NEVER be serious contenders until the process is allowed to play out for at least 3 years. Anybody who expects more from this team this year, or even next year, is falling into the same cycle of silver bullet searches that's bedeviled us during the entire Snyder era.

Posted by: pyrotech | September 28, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Same ole Redskins, different year. Is Zorn still coaching this team? It certainly looked like against the Rams. This was a significant loss of major proportions for the skins because: 1)not only did they lose to the worse team of the last 2 years, but they got beaten soundly; 2) their defense can't get off the field; 3)their offense struggles to points on the board no matter who is HC/QB; 4)special team play is pitiful. In essence the skins have become what the Rams/Lions/Bucs used to be. And they will continue to be that for a long time since they traded away all useful draft pick needed to rebuild the team, which is exactly what they need to do but cannot.

Posted by: vic1173 | September 28, 2010 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Love how some up here are citing Andre f-ing Carter as the main reason to keep a 4-3. "Carter has been the best DL for us over the past 3-4 years"? Really? Dude had two double-digit sack seasons and two forgetable years where he didn't live up to his paycheck. Not exactly the stuff of Hall of Fame enshrinement.

Carter is 31. Even if we kept the 4-3, he's got one, maybe two quality years left as a Redskin. So building around an aging, undersized DE is somehow preferable to rebuilding with a new defense? And this from the same people who want the Skins to stop adding "aging journeymen" and get younger? Can't have it both ways...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

bw26
He didn't have much help either when he put those numbers up. If he only had someone on the other side, for that matter if he only had someone else to rush the passer. Look at the team sack totals for the years he’s been with us. Not impressive.

Posted by: fat_back | September 28, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

BW26
While we’re at it, is it safe to say stop bashing Blache and the defensive scheme he used? The man could coach and was well respected. And right now his defenses are looking pretty good.

Posted by: fat_back | September 28, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Some analysis from John Keim
What we’ve learned

1. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall did not back up his talk last week about this being “his team” and “his defense” » Hall wasn’t always in man coverage, but played it enough and did not have a good game. He not only slipped on the quick toss to Mark Clayton, leading to a 30-yard gain, he also whiffed on a tackle attempt to allow a third-and-20 pass to become a first down. On another run he did not come off the block with the urgency needed to make the play.

2. Linebacker Andre Carter will continue to struggle » It’s not about him; he’s just not a good fit in this scheme and it fails to emphasize what he does best, which is get upfield after the passer. Carter has a hard time changing directions, getting him in trouble in space against backs and receivers. He’s also getting blocked too often by tight ends, opening up alleys. If he’s not able to apply much pressure, it’s worth seeing how Lorenzo Alexander can do with more time. If Carter is a good rusher with his hand in the ground, why not find some ways he can do that?

3. The Redskins aren’t a good team » Period. Yes, that comes as a shocker, but they have many issues that won’t be solved any time soon. They’ve now lost 20 of their last 27 games dating to the midway point of 2008. This is why they can’t fall back on the excuse that they somehow overlooked St. Louis. No, they didn’t. They were beaten. St. Louis controlled the game and even won with its best offensive player, Steven Jackson, on the sidelines for the second half. This rebuilding job will take a couple more years to complete.

4. The red zone offense needs help » Sunday, they ran nine plays inside the Rams’ 20-yard line. Not once did they throw a pass into the end zone. They were balanced, running five times and passing four, but they’re relying on players to make defenders miss. The Redskins lack enough players who have that skill.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 5:59 AM | Report abuse

gotta run

Posted by: fat_back | September 28, 2010 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Since I was born in 1983 scamp. My family are all fans, as they come from the DC area and we've owned season tickets since 1961. So scamp, I'm curious, were you trying to call me a bandwagon fan or something, because I'm pretty sure I don't qualify.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 28, 2010 6:02 AM | Report abuse

f_b, just because the Skins are off to a slow start this year, that doesn't let Blache off the hook for his vanilla, unimaginative defenses he had the last two years. Even the most passive Madden player knows you don't move Orakpo to LB or Landry to FS. And he consistently failed to move his players around and put them in positions to take advantage of favorable matchups. Whether they have Haslett or Hessone calling the defense now is completely irrelevant to Blache's term in the job.

I'm all for the mindset of building your defense around the available talent. But the Redskins' situation is a bit different because the vast majority of the guys playing on D are older players who are going to be gone within the next year or two anyway. Building it around guys like AC would be foolish.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

By the way Biden is listed as first string president, which is clearly not the case...

now when Cheney was VP...

Posted by: ElYeah | September 28, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

We keep talking about Clinton Portis's hook slide after his longest run of the season. It seemed to me at the time that he was taking a dive to avoid being hit.

But there was one other big play in the game where Portis did somethng similar. It was third and goal on about the two yard line. Portis took the handoff and ran left. As he was running left, he fell to the ground without being touched.

I recorded the game on a HD DVR and I ran that play forwards and backwards in slow motion many times. While there were defenders around him, none of them touched Portis.

I encourage all of you who recorded the game to watch that play very carefully. You will see Portis run left and then appear to stub his toe on the ground and fall in the direction he is running.

Were I the coach, I would have benched Portis for doing that. Apparently, that's what happened.

Posted by: StevenA875 | September 28, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

bw26
I hear ya and agree with most of what you said.
I believe Blache was a casualty of Zorn/Cerratoism. You can only do so much with what you are given.
However, folks bashed Bache for a lot of things but he still put his players in the position to make plays and having a perennial defense rated in the top ten says something for that alone.
Don’t get me wrong I like the direction we’re going in and I believe good things will happen to this team sooner than the critics spout off about. I would have done some things differently and am disappointed at not taking advantage of some opportunities, but…
That said same with our defense this year, Hasslet is doing what he can with what they have. I would think getting younger will happen next year. And that’s Ok too, it’s part of it.

Posted by: fat_back | September 28, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Wife: "Honey, why don't you wear your Redskins jersey on Sundays anymore?"

Hubby: "Because they're LOOOOOOOOOOOOOSERS!!!"

Posted by: burro2 | September 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pyrotech | September 28, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Cosign with emphasis.

Posted by: bostskin | September 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Galloway isn't going to be listed as a starter for much longer.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 28, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for America's team!

Posted by: AaronDavistheLizardKing | September 28, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

oops I'm about to accidentally 2x post.... Hooray for America's team!

Posted by: AaronDavistheLizardKing | September 28, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

A star running back afraid to fumble. A star defensive lineman afraid to play the 3-4. I'm afraid to look!

Seriously if Portis is afraid to run the ball with authority, he should sit. In the NFL, if you're not going 100%, you are going to get hurt by someone who is.

Posted by: sailhoward | September 29, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

WHO CARES where who starts?? It dosent really matter because they arent winning anyway!

Posted by: usc932000 | September 29, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse