Portis, Zorn Say All Is 'Cool'

Jason La Canfora reports:

Saying that he is "cool with everything," Clinton Portis met with the media this afternoon and added that what was said in a meeting with Coach Jim Zorn is "between me and Coach Zorn."

Asked if he and critical comments he made Tuesday about Zorn were a distraction, he said, "A distraction to what? We've lost four of five games."

Zorn, who said he is "absolutely" cool with everything today, said that Portis was confused about "where he stood." With the emotion stripped away, Zorn said the real issue is "just come in and talk." Zorn said he feels that if players are not proactive and don't come to coaches, sometimes the situation "is hard to read."

He added that Portis does not need to operate this way publicly, though he knows Portis has done so in the past. "That's what losing does," Zorn said. "Everybody gets upset."

Portis said that if Zorn had reached out to him Monday "then I wouldn't be up here talking to you all."

Zorn said that, in his mind, "I shouldn't have to seek that out." He added that he felt Portis had some legitimate concerns and "confusion" but believes the issues have been resolved.

Portis said that he said what he felt at the moment - "at that time I had some stuff built up" - and Zorn was not surprised by the outburst. "He's done this before, right?" Zorn said.

Portis clarified that he does not want to leave the Redskins. "I'm not going to severe ties," Portis said. "I love Mr. [Daniel] Snyder and Mr. Snyder loves me." Portis said that Snyder has always made him feel wanted through his words and actions. Snyder and executive vice-president of football operations Vinny Cerrato declined a request for a comment.

When asked about being worried about his job security, Zorn replied, "Uh, no" and added that he is trying to build a long-term foundation here.

Zorn said he spoke briefly with Snyder about the incident Tuesday night, that he lost no sleep over it and that he wasn't worried about losing his team. Zorn said Snyder "acted very medium" about the dust-up and said, "This is Clinton."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 10, 2008; 3:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moss: 'That's Clinton'
Next: Zorn: 'We're All in It Together'

Comments

Your mom is cool.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

-----------

As if he'd ever admit he was WAS losing sleep or worried about losing the team.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Portis clarified that he does not want to leave the Redskins. "I'm not going to severe ties," Portis said. "I love Mr. [Daniel] Snyder and Mr. Snyder loves me." Portis said that Snyder told him there is no way he is getting rid of him.

and Portis' pockets are straight

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

From reading this, I'm not sure Zorn gets it. At some point as the HC, he is going to have to take the blame for the teams failure.

Or at least for cutting Leigh Torrance...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I have to wonder where Jasno's patented, "three anonymous NFL execs I spoke with said Zorn could have handled the situation better" is here.

Or does he only do that kind of digging when the story is about Gibbs, Vinny or The Danny?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

rc, you have it backwards. Why would Cowher want to come here??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I think he would be promised complete control. Does he get it? I dunno.

And Al, Zeke? You need to get over losing that fantasy matchup, it happens to everyone some time you know!!

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

And this whole "I spoke with Mr Snyder" thing by Portis? Trouble brewing..

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

So let me understand this, after their closed door meeting, Zorn said a situation like benching your best player can be tough to read and its the players job to come get clarification and that "I shouldn't have to seek that out"

Portis said if the coach had talked to me Monday none of this would have happened and "what is there to distract, we've lost four of five?"

Boy that sure sounds like that was one productive meeting.....Ugh...Zorn is a moron, of course you should have to seek that out, that's part of your job to manage players, especially those that you bench knowing they are emotional and have a history of popping off with the mouth to the media, and with the loses building! How could he not see something like this ahead of time?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to severe ties

I think ties should be colorful and fun. Severe ties make for long, boring presentations about "annuities" and "amortization schedules".

Posted by: daggar | December 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat

I'm working on it Redcoat ... but its tough. So close to that $3 million prize Nate promised the winner

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Only winning cures this.

Posted by: jvwright | December 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Cowher has a good gig going for himself with cbs...low stress, etc..

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 3:38 PM

Low stress? You say that like it's a good thing. Dude wouldn't have been head coach as long as he was if "low stress" was important to him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 3:33 PM

** Somewhat related FF Post **

Sorry RC. I thought I had it for you. Antonio "FrigginFrackin" Bryant? Who knew?!
Now you're relegated to the Archuleta Bracket.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Why should Portis have gone to Zorn and asked why he was taken out?

Zorn already explained - by way of deflecting from himself and throwing an assistant coach under the bus - that Stump Mitchell was the one who made the call.

Right?

Hey, maybe there IS something to his hanging out with GW Bush; both men seem to spend a great deal of time passing the buck for mistakes, and grandstanding to take all the credit when things go well.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm still on Zorn's side in this one, mostly because you can't let a player take over in football (different story in basketball, though, with only 5 guys on the floor).

But Zorn could have handled it better. With the comments above, it doesn't seem like Zorn gets it. Just say Portis is a fiery guy and that's a good thing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Although this is a good "all is well" vibe they're kickin around, anyone else disturbed that Clinton still goes to the owner for reassurance. I'm still not convinced this behavior is put to bed.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Zorn comments irks me. I have to hear this confernece myself, because I finding it hard to believe that Zorn is so egotistical. The door swings open both ways. I know JZ has a lot on his plate, maybe he needs to re-evaluate the structure of his administration.

Posted by: TWISI | December 10, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm considering this issue closed. Not going to make more of it than needs be....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

beep beep...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess it would be medium
If I could keep medium
I know not everybody
Has stays medium like me

But I've got to think twice
Before I give stop being medium
And I know the unmedium games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to get back to medium
And when that medium feeling comes down
Without devotion
Well it takes a medium man baby
But I'm showing you the door

'Cause I gotta stay medium...
Mmm, I gotta stay medium
'Cause I gotta stay medium, medium,
Mm 'cause I gotta stay medium-a-medium-a-medium

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is Zorn needs to understand that he has to go to the players. He is still thinking like a position coach. You talk to your position 15 times a day. There is no way that every player is going to come to you. You would do nothing else but talk to players. Zorn should call Gibbs and figure out how to lead.

Posted by: trey021 | December 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Nobody should take Zorn's side on this. You do not question Portis. You can go after anyone else on the team. All Portis has done since he got here is carry this team on his back and give 100% every play. Portis will go down as one of the best skins EVER. Zorn may end up a footnote if he keeps this up.

Posted by: trey021 | December 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Um, Snyder doesn't coach, does he???

This is silly.
Get rid of CP/Owens Jr.
No wonder Gibbs left, bunch of whiny prima donnas who can't get motivated until a friend is murdered.

It's the exact same problems with Zorn and Gibbs...it's the players, not the coach.

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 10, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is fine.
Portis is fine.
Cincinnati sucks.
All will be ok people.
I really like the way Zorn handles a press conference. I believe what he actually says. And he isn't as droll as Gibbs was. Just wait, Portis is gonna bang out 125 on the ground and maybe 50-75 more in the air on Sunday and then everyone is gonna say how we are gonna go back to the playoffs...
I have said this once and I will say it a million more times...SKINS FANS ARE DUMB and the dc media perpetuates this garbage about this nonsense all day long (excluding the post, you guys are the best by far).
By the way did anyone see Jasno completing Zorn's sentences at the Zorn questioning, that made me smirk.

Posted by: BMACattack | December 10, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Portis' pockets be straight. That's all you haters need to know. The pockets are straight. Get it? They ain't be wrinkled. They ain't be crooked. They be straight. Nothing more, nothing less. They straight.

Posted by: TheDubb | December 10, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse