Post Practice Update - Heyer, Pinkston, Etc.

Sorry for the delay - had to talk to a lot of people before I got back to the media room to blog.

No changes planned for the O Line. LG Todd Wade (shoulder) and LT Stephon Heyer (hamstring) both missed most of practice but the injuries are said to be minor. Wade had big problems with Albert Haynesworth, as we've noted, and Joe Bugel conceded as much to the media schlubs. But he thought Heyer came through very good for any rookie, much less an un-drafted kid, and some people out here think the times when problems did arise on that side of the line it was mostly due to just how bad Wade was.

Buges says that despite Wade's woes, he'll be starting again once healthy, needing more time to hash things out to give him a fair shot as he makes a tricky transition. I wonder how the duo will hold up against Pittsburgh? I wonder how the QBs think they will hold up against Pittsburgh?

Again, I think Heyer could be a real find, but not having a proven guard to pair him with worries me in that it could end up bringing out the worst in both of them against a fierce enough opponent.
Also, when you need that much help on the left side, it really exposes Jansen, who proved to need a lot of tight end help himself last season and again Saturday night.

As for Pinkston, Coach Joe says his signing had nothing to do with the injuries to the WRs. Randle El says he will be back very soon and Lloyd's shin splints have not calmed down, Gibbs said. he couldn't run today and was not on the field at all, but it's still believed he will be back to practice this week, Gibbs said. He has practiced once in nearly two weeks.

Anthony Montgomery has a knee sprain but that too is not serious, they said.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 13, 2007; 6:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wow - Todd Pinkston Signed
Next: Observations

Comments

It's shaping up to be another long year...

Posted by: Rob | August 13, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

2nd!

Posted by: John From Herndon | August 13, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

second.... anyways... Samuels will be back for the last preseason game... he will make wade look much better than he is at guard... we will ok... Brandon LLoyd is a wuss... he should be cut to send a message to the whole team...

Posted by: bethesdaboy | August 13, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

As I expected for the left side. Jansen is obviously nearing the end but he's a skins faithful and fan favorite so he'll be around for a while, good or bad.

Posted by: NEskinsfan | August 13, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Why don't they give Heyer a chance at the guard spot and put Wade back at tackle? It gives us good depth at tackle when Samuels comes back. I don't see this Wade switching to guard experiment working out too well. The guy has played his whole career at tackle and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Some bloggers are underestimating the seriousness of shin splints. Shin splints are not just an "ouchie" that you can suffer through if you are tough enough.

(Sidenote: I am *not* saying that The Receiver isn't malingering, but I wanted to set the record straight. My dad was a track stud in his day, and he had shin splints so bad at one point he was on crutches.)

Shin splints can be a serious injury with a long recovery. "Shin splints" are not really a diagnosis, but a description of pain in the front part of the leg that can be caused by a variety of problems.
My guess is that the trainers are concerned with The Receivers lack of progress and suspect he may be out for quite some time.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | August 13, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Let's just wait to see how they look this week.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The Ravens just showed the proper way to start a preseason game. Hope they took notes in Ashburn. And I hate the Ravens.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 13, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Good point, SC. Let's turn to the Mayo Clinic for info:

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

You are correct SCSkinsFan. For a runner they can take you out. There is nothing that can be done but rest.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I do not enjoy being this concerned so early in the pre-season. With a O line this troubled this early we could be in big trouble.

Posted by: GusInLeesburg | August 13, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow guys, just started catching up on the blog since about half time during the game, that's a lot of reading!!

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but speculate that there is a correlation between The Receiver's increased size, new work-out regimine, and the shin splints.

What do you think happened, jm220?

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | August 13, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Hard to say SC. It could be the shoes he was working out with. In high school when I got it my coach thought it was due to my shoes.(track coach) I was out for almost two weeks. I couldn't practice and had just ran in the track meets. Trust me when I say they hurt like SJK! The Receiver isn't getting better which should send a red flag to the trainer. Either they are not doing something right or he is faking. Two weeks of rest and there should be some improvement.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

You know Jason, I'm watching the Ravens right now and the more I watch them the more I realize the Redskins just don't get it.

I'll give you an example: the Ravens use a 3rd round choice to get Gaither from UMD in the supplemental draft.

Now that might not seem like much to anyone on here, but that kid is going to play for a long time in the NFL.

What do the Redskins do? They wrap millions of dollars in two sorry WR's Randle-El and Lloyd and STILL have to sign a washed up receiver Pinkston to compete for a no.2 WR spot?

Good grief....

Not only that, they get these two rookies...undrafted right? And expect them to face players the likes of Albert Haynesworth?

I just get really upset thinking about how stupid the Redskins organization is and how many disfunct players are on this team.

The Ravens get it, the Redskins don't.

When the Skins have a losing season this year and the Ravens are on thier way to the playoffs that should be the title to your end of the season article.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's just maddening thinking about it.

When I see the Ravens, I see the Skins of the 80's. That's how it used to be when the Skins had a real general manager, and coach Joe was just a "coach."

Please sell the team Snyder.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 13, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it could be the shoes, jm220. That's probably the biggest reason.

But you would hope that after all these years, The Receiver would know to avoid that mistake (happens a lot in high school, as it did to you).

Two weeks is definitely a long time for shin splints to clear up if they are caused by something minor, like a bad fitting shoe.

By the way jm220, what track events did you run in high school? I ran the 400m and 800m stuff (and slowly).

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | August 13, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Ray, Ray, Ray....are you ever happy about ANYTHING? Yes, the Skins have been depressing for many years but you were also down on the Wizards last season and they were WINNING!

As to signing Randle El (who is GOOD) and Lloyd (who was good in SF) that was last year...it has absolutely nothing to do with the Ravens draft picks this year...or the Ravens at all.

Also, have you been following the Skins at all? We only have one rookie on the O line and that is because Chris Samuels is hurt - he should be back soon. The word is that the rookie showed more potential than the experienced backups and that is why he started Saturday night.

One more thing....did anyone say they signed Pinkston to compete for the #2 WR slot? I have not heard that. He could be cut before the season starts.

Posted by: Lisa | August 13, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Keyshawn and Emmit's debuts on Monday Night Countdown was just horrendous tonight. Just add them to the list of over rated ex-Cowboys to get TV jobs and stink it up (i.e. Irving, Sanders).

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

2 debuts = were just horrendous.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

how come they havent tried wade at tackle and heyer at guard yet??? maybe its too late but you would think that for a player who has player a couple years in the league and an undrafted rookie it would be easier to make the changes of switching from tackle to guard for the latter than the former. maybe they should have signed a guard somewhere along the way this offseason?

Posted by: kevin | August 13, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

21st!

Posted by: Anus | August 13, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Broncos look good on their first drive. Travis Henry looks great which is good for my fantasy team. I'm going all the way this year with him AND LT as my starting RB's.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The Pinkston signing is just like the Dee Brown signing. A required body for training against, caused by injuries to the guys who will make the team. Sure you might argue that it would be better to sign a young guy, but it's not an unearthing project, Pinkston is more for the defense than the offense, our DB's aren't going to learn anything going up against a young guy who doesn't know what he's doing.

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Good call kost. On the other hand, our D-line isn't going to get any better going up against the likes of Heyer and Wade. I just hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

25rdth!!

Posted by: A$$clown | August 13, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Big Fish...very nice fantasy RBs....

Lisa, sometimes your a bit of a polyanna....but sista I am with you....keep bringin the wood...

Meshawn, and twinkle toes are OUT OF THIS WORLD BAD on ESPN:

My fave moment: The question is 1st round draft pick to have an impact Keyshawn say REEVES THE DUDE HOLDING OUT FROM JETS HUH?!?!?!?! and then Emmitt says TRAVIS HENRY....DUMB AZZ HE IS AN 8 YEAR VET THE QUESTION WASNT WHAT NEW PLAYER ON TEAM IT WAS ROOKIE........

LITTERY GENIUS MAKES MORE SENSE!

Posted by: chris larry | August 13, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Okay I want to talk about the Pinkston thing for a sec. I honestly think that this is a smart pickup for several reasons. First of all he is now the tallest WR we got at 6-3. The guy cab be as much a downfield air it out type threat as anyone we have and can be a legit no 3 WR (we have so many no 3 WR's). Also, I am always a fan of older WR's overy young guys who have yet to prove themselves.

On the OL, whoever said move Hoyer inside, we are about 3 months too late to start making that move. I say give Wade 2 more games in the pre-season to work it out. If he is still in trouble then we need to make some decisions, but its OL you have to give them time to meld. Problem is I don't think there is a plan B, I don't know who we have to back him up if he does not work out.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Patrick Ramsey is in sucking it up right now.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

100,200,400 and the relay teams. Still have bad dreams about the 400. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope they can find a veteran/cap casualty cut to serve as a band aid for this year, at guard and defensive end. It sure seems these will be position weaknesses all year.

Posted by: k Squared | August 13, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Shocker that the Left side of the line is injured after that preformance.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

If Wade doesn't work out at guard then we're screwed. We should at least give Heyer some practice reps at guard to see what he can do. Doesn't look like Fabini is doing too good. Lefotu looked good to me in NFL Euromper room but haven't heard anything since then. Haven't heard anything positive about Pucillo. Like I said in the previous thread, the only other option is calling up Marco Rivera and getting him in for a look unless some other veteran gets cut or traded due to cap reasons or we get Ray Brown suited up.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"On a positive note, there are still 6 draft picks (not including compensatories), in next year's draft......for now.

Posted by: k Squared | August 13, 2007 08:40 PM
"
Where did we lose a pick?

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The Skins just signed Todd Bridges. Go to postgameheroes.com to read about it. Scooped again, JLa.

Posted by: SMACK | August 13, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that it wasn't all Heyer. He did not appear to me to have played as bad a game as has been previously reported.

I must say that I am truly surprised at the level of fanaticism and fatalism here. They're not that bad. The defense looks like the real deal and that is going to help the O. I can see getting a little bent out of shape during the season but SJK - it's only been one preseason game (and in case no one heard, they won). Let's not use up all the gloom and doom before the season starts.

10-6 baby!

Posted by: LH | August 13, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

35332 - We lost a pick next year from the Duckett trade.

Ramsey just threw a TD pass!

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Fish,

Probelm is it usually takes near a season to get that line setteled playing with eachother, I think our best option this early in pre-season is to give Wade another shot, see if he improves next game. I dont think we can move Hoyer inside unless Samuels is back.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Where did we lose a pick?

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 08:42 PM

No 4th rounder in '08, compliments of the Duckettingus.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Pinkston has as much chance of making the team as WR Kyle Brown does.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, Wade said today that he hurt his shoulder in the first quarter of the game. Maybe that was why he was more or less ineffective Saturday night.

Chris Larry, I realize that I come across too Pollyanna-ish and positive at times (well, most of the time). But the reason is that there are soo many bad things going on in the world (the war, the situation in NOLA, etc) why should we get all bent out of shape after 1 preseason game??? One preseason game that we actually won - even though it was a strange win. Most likely we will have plenty of reason (I'm being negative here) for doom and gloom once the true season starts. But until that time, can't we just relax a little? :)

And like I said, Ray was all doom and gloom on the Wizards blog when they were winning - and exciting!

Posted by: Lisa | August 13, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

No 4th rounder in '08, compliments of the Duckettingus.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 08:48 PM

SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK, SJK

When will the hurting stop.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I just hope to God that Wade works out at guard. That could mean the difference between winning and losing a few games. I will put away my pessimistic side for now in hopes that it all works out in the coming weeks. Back to Mr. Positivity. Sorry.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

"...even though it was a strange win...."
Posted by: Lisa | August 13, 2007 08:51 PM

Hey in the past two years we won two games against Dallas, that can only be catigorized as Strange.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

And Ramsey throws an INT.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

God, what ever happened to Ramsey's potential? Did Spurrier/Gibbs just completely ruin him?

Posted by: #11, we hardly knew ya | August 13, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

That clip from the previous thread....I know Ryan Clark could lay the wood for a little guy but damn Stinkston is a bi*ch. SJK. Stopgap for a couple weeks. He'll be cut.

The Redskins are so short sighted. I still am scratching my head trying to figure out why they didn't have a plan B in case Wade didn't work out. That guy Mulitalo that the Ravens cut, anybody who had experience and started at the guard position in the league before. This all goes back to not locking up Dockery before his time was up. Expect the same thing to be happening with Cooley in a few months.

Posted by: cdubb | August 13, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Ray,

You couldn't be more right. The Ravens get it, the Skins don't get much of anything.

Oh, by the way... the Gaither pick-up by the Ravens was for a 5th rounder, not a 3rd. Vinny gives up our 5th rounders for a lollipop both he and Danny can suck on at the same time.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 13, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

When will the hurting stop.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 08:51 PM

When we hire a real GM, who knows how to manage the cap and build through the draft. But, hey, they can't be stupid forever.

They have managed to not overpay or squander any other draft picks, since the Duckett reach around, so I guess progess is slow and deliberate, much like Wade at guard.

Posted by: k Squared | August 13, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: #11, we hardly knew ya | August 13, 2007 09:00 PM

The same thing that happened to Heath Schuler's and Ryan Leaf's and countless other top college QB's potential.

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Jasno? Is that you? Something's different. You've changed. What? Is? It?

Are you using spell-check or something funny like that?

Posted by: MV Dame | August 13, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't even know you anymore!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 13, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

cdubb,

How awesome will it be to look back on the Arch (26 mill more than Clark) and Lloyd deals (30 mill) while we watch Dockery and Cooley thrive in a Bills and a __________ (fill in any team besides the Redskins) uniform respectively.

And did anyone watch training camp daily on CSN tonight? They put up our back-up offensive line and it is frightening. It's like the Skins allocated .0001% of our cap to the back-up offensive lineman.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 13, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have too many WR's then run out of them with injuries.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Damn RB! (SJK) Do you ever have anything postive to say. I need a break from the blog.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Some other thoughts on the O Line. Could Wade not handle Haynesworth because of technique and still learning or is he just not good enough? Those are the types of players he will be seeing every week in the regular season.

I love Jon Jansen. Great guy, been here forever but why did we just give him a new contract if he is on the downside of his career and needs TE help to block. I was optimistic about this season but the more I think about it I think the OL is gonna be our downfall this year.

Posted by: cdubb | August 13, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

According to scout.com (http://patriots.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=665657), as of August 7th, the following is a list of the best available wide receivers:

Antonio Bryant/UFA
Jerome Pathon/UFA
Terrence Wilkins/UFA
Lee Mays/UFA
Willie Ponder/UFA
Dez White/UFA
Michael Lewis/UFA

What do you guys think? Is Stinkston the best of the bunch or not?

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Besides the fact that Antonio Bryant is suspended for the first 4 games of the season, I would say he is the best available. Where's the list of available Guards?

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, Ryan Moats just got carted off the field. If he wasn't actually crying, he certainly looked like he wanted to cry.

I know he's an Eagle, but I hate to see athletes get injured.

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

No explanation needed Lisa....I am on your side of this street fight! Well said...!

Posted by: chris larry | August 13, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Brad Badger/UFA
Adam Timmerman/UFA
Corey Hulsey/UFA
Tyrone Hopson/UFA

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

bigfish,

This link lists the "best available" at each Offensive position: http://patriots.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=665657

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Just Me. Of the guys I know from that list. I would him in the no 1 or 2 tier. He is on the deffently in the top half of the list.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Todd Pinkston? Todd Pinkston????

I'm not even sure he could get a modeling gig his BMI is so low.

Yikes

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFan | August 13, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

JustMe - I'd be hesitant to sign Willie Ponder.

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a bunch of unknowns at the Guard spot. No eye popers.

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I guess the list just confirms what was implied by the signing. Pickin's is real slim. LOL

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Wait on the WR list I would go with Marc Boerigter I think he plaid in KC for Weird Al did he not?

Posted by: 35332 | August 13, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for Jenna Jameson. She's the best....What's that? Oh, the name's Jeno James? Nevermind.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody just see that cheapshot on the Eagles Aussie punter during the return? Decleater.....

Posted by: cdubb | August 13, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL 4-12, have you seen Jenna Jameson lately? I saw her on one of the entertainment shows last week and barely recognized it was her.

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Brad Badger, former Skin? Anyone? Anyone?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

If they keep trying Wade at guard, how many games will it takes Samuels (once he is back) and him to get locked down? 1 preseason + 2 regular season games? Is this enough time to get consistency from the left side? What's the band aid in the meantime? Let's just hope our running game can get established early in the game to keep JC from getting blind sided.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | August 13, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Nobody said this was going to be easy...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

JustMe- Saw some Jenna video (on Entertainment Tonight...sheesh, get your minds out of the gutter) a couple months ago. What did she do? Talk about plastic surgery gone bad! Yikes.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 09:32 PM

LMGO!

Posted by: bigfish | August 13, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

If we keep Wade at Guard, JC should sit out of the Ravens game. I'm sitting here now watching them smack the Eagles all over the field. It's not pretty. At all.

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

RB, I'm no fan of the Skins' FO and some of their moves but the Gaither pick is not something about which they can necessarily be criticized. There are 32 teams in the NFL and only ONE chose to use a 5th round pick on Gaither. They don't have a fourth round pick next year so are saying they should have given up a third rounder for him? Give 'em some credit for getting Heyer, who while undrafted was considered by many scouts to be a better player and a harder worker, without giving up anything.

Posted by: LH | August 13, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

4-12,

I know. Until recently, I thought she'd held up really well after so many years of working so hard. LOL

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Her work always did seem to, ah, come very easily. lol

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cdubb | August 13, 2007 09:34 PM

Did the Punter hit someone? Or did someone do their best Sean Taylor impersonation?

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

LMGO!

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many more significant preseason injuries before the NFL cuts it down to 2 games ... or more scrimmages. No one wants to bother with this SJK anymore.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | August 13, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Kost- Since there's no VB in the States, I had to try the Cooper's lager. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

kost - the Eagles punter (Rocca I think) was running very nonchalantly down the field after punting. Dude came up and crushed him, punter didn't see it coming. Looked like a legal hit to me although it was a cheap shot and he got flagged for it.

Posted by: cdubb | August 13, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

4-12 - Good stuff mate, Coopers is one of the biggest small beer companies I guess you could say.

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Todd Pinkston?! Todd Pinkston??!! Todd Pinkston???!! (ala Jim Mora "playoffs" rant).

You pay a coach roughly $5-$6 million a year and the name he comes up with to pull him out of a bind is Todd Pinkston?

Seriously, are those old dudes up there tossing blood clots or what? Your left side of the O-line gets stomped worse than one of Vick's dogs, and you respond by signing Todd Pinkston?

This has to be a late April fool joke, or else Gibbs is mixing his medications again.

Ay yi yi.....

Posted by: Montana'Skins Fan | August 13, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

cdubb - Thanks, how did he handle it? Get up ok? He's a big guy for a punter. I guess it's the kind of lesson you only want to learn once!

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Glad you all export it. Got to get the VB here next. BTW, I did sign that petition, for what it's worth. G'night blog...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Todd Pinkston, On whether he thought another team would take a chance on him before the Redskins called him:

"No, to be honest. I just want to use this opportunity to show some leadership and try and make this team."

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

St. Joe, On the addition of Todd Pinkston:

"We just felt like it was somebody that we could add. We had somebody that we felt would have a tough time making the team so we decided it was a good time to bring someone else in."

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

JustMe - they didn't print the last line of his sentence -

"No, to be honest. I just want to use this opportunity to show some leadership and try and make this team, and do my best to not get broken in half by Sean and/or LaRon"

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

St. Joe, On whether Mark's arm is feeling well:

"I think he looks good and he is throwing well out here."

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Uh, which Mark was he talking about? Mark Malone?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

LMGO, kost!

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

LMGO! Nate, I was wondering if there was another Mark on the roster that I had forgotten about. I mean, for real. Is he serious?!?!?

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

kost - He is a pretty big guy, didn't seem very fazed by it and was smiling by the time he was on the sideline.

Posted by: cdubb | August 13, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell On Todd Pinkston (WR, #10):

"I didn't get a chance to see him run routes or catch any passes, but I know we lived very close to each other in Hattiesburg, MS, not even a mile apart. We know each other really well. Our fathers went to school together."

Posted by: JustMe | August 13, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Cindy! Cyn City!

Talking Points is back, and you are looking absolutely fabulous, if I may say so.

Great to see you and Wilbon together again.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

You know how Southerners are. Everyone in Hattiesburg probably has a story about Pinkston flinching, ducking, or running away from something.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe these suckers gave me a chance to make this team after I showed my biggest flaw against them. This team is screwed.

Posted by: Todd Pinkston | August 13, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

..... or playing hide and seek, and successfully hiding behind a street sign post.

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Dang, he really is skinny, isn't he?

Who's the best really skinny WR in the modern era? Randy Moss?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Nicole Ritchie? or maybe Kate Moss?

Posted by: Paps in Manila | August 13, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

That's just wrong, Paps. :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

boys so skinny his profile is invisible

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Sort of makes you question the 'Wide Receiver' title doesn't it.

Maybe we can put Pinkston in the slot? Haha

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, couldn't resist .. all this Pinkston talk is muchado about nuttin.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | August 13, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. It's just weird, is all. And it's the only actual news for us to be geeking out over.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I think someone posted this earlier, but if we have a solid running tandem of Portis and Betts that can average 150 yds/game, I feel comfortable relying on Moss @ #1 WR and Cooley at TE. Not going to get worked up over ARE, Lloyd, Pinkston, etc. It all comes back to the running game. We can't expect miracle from JC (no, not THAT JC) in his first full season at starter.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | August 13, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

everybody is knocking that fact they signed Pinkston...This does not mean anything more except they are looking for depth and Gibbs ALWAYS likes to bring in Vets just to see and push the guys on the roster to focus and work harder and show them their job is never secure...you must earn it to keep it...I see nothing wrong bringin in a guy who in FACT regardless has torched the Skins a few times in the past...Is he Rice NO.. but he is a decent WR....Should not look into this too much...Juts a situation where a Vet WR wants to play and he is not so they took a minimal fanacial chance on him just to see...I see nothing wrong with that...

Posted by: Leevi | August 13, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Having heard about this community from Nate in the PDX and various other nefarious characters, I must admit I'm dismayed by the negativity displayed here. As a life long 'Skins fan (my guess is longer than most of the posters here have been alive) I've often expressed my outrage/dislike at the TV screen and/or radio. If that's what it takes for you all to comment on our favorite team, then I submit that you are no better than Cryboy fans. There appears to be a few serious fans here who want to discuss the team; then there are those of you who want to discuss Jenna Jameson and other irrelevant topics. I'll keep an eye on this venue and see if the conversation turns to relevant matters pertaining to the team.

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 13, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

jasno, you were clearly dissing on heyer with annonymous sources on "experiment over?" and now this.

did you just do a complete 170 up here?

sure looks like it. or did your sources have a change of heart after they watched the film with buges?

Posted by: lg | August 13, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Fred -- Trust me, there are plenty of true Skins fans here who are not of the sky is falling variant. And there are times when the news gets slow and we digress - uh, significantly. Hang in there with us. As when we found out with a recent tragedy, this blog has become a family more than just Skins talk. Natural progression I guess.

HAIL!

Posted by: Paps in Manila | August 13, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

nate, i'm going to take away your recruiting card and title of Head RI Liason if the quality of your recruits don't improve.

Posted by: lg | August 13, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

can we please take a chill pill on the doomsayer(i'm not one of them. i still believe in St. Joe) bashing? c'mon. do you want a choir up here? or do you actually want to discuss diverse opinions? i know i get mad up here but i never say "get the fck out and stay out". i thought dems were suppose to be more tolerant? what gives?

Posted by: lg | August 13, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Paps, excellent comments. Every community is unique, and those who enter without some sort of history make the mistake of alienating all. Not my intent, and we'll see if Nate is continued to be held in such high esteem with the more that I post....

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 13, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

welcome to the blog fred! nate's been a great amabassador for us. the best time is the day after the game and the most fun is during the game if you can make it up here.

Posted by: lg | August 13, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

PDX Fredskin - Hang in there mate, and you'll be addicted in no time!

Posted by: kost52 | August 13, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

lg...thanks. Probably won't make it to the discussion during the game because I'll be to busy critiquing the coaching staff and players for their good/bad plays and either throwing things at my TV or jumping and down for the successes or lack thereof of particular plays! I'll be here when the game ends or the next day, depending on the time zone and amount of cold adult beverages consumed.

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 13, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

kost52.... appreciate the welcoming words.....HAIL!

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 13, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

digesting the information that we have been fed (or, if it be so, indigesting that info) ...

Jason LaC (in the print edition for tomorrow, Tuesday) talks to -- or records words from -- the man of the hour, Mr. Bugel. Buges says he is happy with Heyer; that it was Wade who pooped in the punch bowl.

Yesterday (the day before?), JLaC reminds us (in the print edition) that Rabach is the line QB for the super complicated defenses of the NFL -- its not just Reggie or Larry anymore ... now its Reggie, Rocco, Rennie, or Rufus, or Lipo, Lumpy, Lemon, or Lisa.

The new Plan B for the O-line (which I do not personally endorse, I'm still a proponent of Plan A) would be necessary when its time to scream "Uncle" on the Todd Wade Experience ... and move him back from starting left guard and back to #3 utility tackle. Under this scenario, the guys from the center move left. Heyer moves to the bench to be #4 tackle. Wade becomes "demoted" to filling in for Samuels as tackle #3. Rabach moves to left guard, but still has the line QB job, i.e., calling the initial defensive set ... and someone else becomes the center and only has to snap the ball. Under Plan B, the decision is made that Wade is less suited for tackle than inserted player -- Pucillo? -- is at center.

Rabach knows the guard position and it is no punishment to move over one. He still does the mental part of the center job. Wade moves to his position of strength. In time, he may just show himself to be the better guy for RT than Jansen ... or the less injured, less offsides guy than Samuels. Who knows? The question is whether the Skins have a competent #2 center, esp. one that ONLY needs to snap the ball on the count and not cause the rest of the line to jump offsides.

That's my big plan for Plan B. Until further notice, however, I am still with Buges and Plan A.

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

dude! fred, you need to be up here critiquing the staff and players....on game day

alright paps et all i'm gonna go cuz i think i'm still jet lagged...(still on the left coast)

Posted by: lg | August 14, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

dcsween - I like that idea, and then what we can do is use the Red Snapper as our Centre, and play JC from a DEEP Shotgun, that will give him plenty of time to get his passes off!

Posted by: kost52 | August 14, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Down with plan B. Who needs a plan B anyway? ;)

Posted by: bangkokben | August 14, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

In other news, the Dog Bites Man story gets hotter for the QB formerly known as the face of the Falcon's franchise. The other two indicted co-conspirators reached plea deals. They will sing. Mike Vick stands alone. These is a darker, darker day for him and his.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

While Wade and Heyer are the popular scapegoats, I have much larger concerns with JJ. His productivity has declined drastically over the last two years; and yet he is perceived as the 'ultimate' 'Skin. While I'm old school (before free agency) and appreciate the fact that JJ has spent his career with us, it's time to admit that his 'skills' are not what are required at the position. NEXT!

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 14, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

bangkokbenjamin/bangkokbernard, no one WANTS plan B ... its just the road less traveled on the continuing array of options that a young Bugelboy and his Gibbsman must face. Also, mrs dcsween & I went to see a motion picture recently. I think "Plan B" figures prominently in Seinfeld's new animated movie where he is a bee.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

bangkokben, you of all people should understand the power of "B" ... or more precisely, BB. [as would bangbros, assuming an appearance by Shyla Stylez ... Beebs.]

BUI tonight. Signing off.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Fredskin! So great to see you up here.

Trust me, your initial reaction to the random conversation up here will fade, and you'll soon find yourself enjoying it and even contributing. Just let yourself go, Fred.

Welcome.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

dcsween,

This to me seems to be the most troubling of the Todd Wade experiment - the lack of an obvious plan B. It seemed that Whittaker was that plan but only for it to be smoke. Anyone remember who was playing for R. Thomas or the first in for Wade? Maybe he is the real LG. As for best available guards, I can see why the 'skins havn't signed any.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 14, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 13, 2007 11:26 PM

I was told that I could blog at a reasonable volume between 9 and 11... I talked to Bill and he didn't say anything about "relevant" blogging.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 14, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

nicely done, cload!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

bangben, that's exactly the point. Fooball is a team sport. Plan B (as barfed tonight) spews from the ashes of regret. If Wade fails at guard, no need to panic -- these guys are part of the Hogs legacy. Move the dude and replace according to the next best available O-lineman.

Also, PDX Fredskin, welcome and what Nate said. Pay no attention to what you might find on the intergoogles. http://www.netaddiction.com/ This here Skins bloggery is pure Skins goodness.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

"kost, not even as a joke ... there must never ever be interference with the Red Snapper's muscle memory. That is less one MAJOR variable removed from the legs part of special teams play." - dcsween

I had no intention of messing with the Red Snapper's muscle memory, that's how DEEP the shotgun formation should be! Hahaha

Posted by: kost52 | August 14, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Nate...thanks. Let the insanity continue.......

Posted by: PDX FredSkin | August 14, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I think Whitticker WAS Plan B, but then the injury bug bit him too! So really we now need a Plan C!

Posted by: kost52 (20) | August 14, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I really hope this is much ado about very little. That Samuels comes back and instantly gels with whoever is playing left guard, that Jansen somehow duct-tapes it together and lasts another season without too much embarrassment on the other side. That Portis comes back and runs like gangbusters. That we don't have to keep Sellers and Cooley hanging around the backfield every passing play just to keep Soup from getting clobbered. That all our hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing up here are for naught. And that we keep blogging our guts out anyway.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

kost, actually, that alignment might make for some fun. Instead of a 7 step QB drop (allowing the receivers time to get down field), Campbell will step FORWARD 7 steps prior to the throw. This would be a game plan where NCAA javelin champ, Patrick Ramsey, could really shine.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:26 AM | Report abuse

So if, in order to retain the exact snapping motion to which E-Alb is accustomed and thereby not compromise his precious muscle memory, Soup had to kneel down like a holder to receive the snap, when he received the snap and was touching the ground with his knee, would the play be whistled dead at the spot?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Any chance to bring up Ramsey's javelinning...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Nate, restate the question. Did you mean to say Jason Campbell or Homy Romo?

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

javelins? what if he charges at you with a pointed stick?

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

How was Mr. Tony on the MNF tonight with Jaws? Anybody watch?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Jaws couldn't get much oxygen when I was watching. Mostly, mostly it was Jerry Rice talking glory and Tony trying to get in a quip when he could.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"Red Snapper muscle memory"... there's a joke there, but what's the punch line?

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 14, 2007 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Now that was funny.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Btw, even though he IS the starting QB for Dallas (not that there's anything WRONG with that), I did not mean to impugn the man for non-football reasons. If Jessica Simpson were within my realm of possibilities, well, maybe romosexuality would might work too.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of Tony Romo and his Cowboy sidekicks. May they go 5-11. May he add several sidesplitting scenes to his career lowlight/laff riot reel.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

What's with all he negatory on no plan B for Wade? Just because he's a lifelong tackle who is 6'8" should be reason to suspect he won't work out just swell.

That swirley sound you hear is the season going down the porcelein conveyance. Lines take up to a year to coalesce and the skins have two problems. They have a new LG who can't play worth a lick (so far) and the all-pro tackle next to him is hurt, so no cohesion starts until Samuels returns.

The only good news to this mess is Heyer played quite well for an undrafted rookie LT. Heck, he played good for a high draft pick rookie LT.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 14, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

korktsar, that's negative for the sake of negative. this blog needs more cathodes, fewer anodes.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

McNabb ailing. Terry Glenn ailing. Portis ailing. Eli Manning sucking. The NFC East just remains tough, tough, tough. Lucky for the rest of the league that we're injured.

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Heyer kind of look weird, though? I know it's tough for a really tall fat dude, but something about him looked really awkward. Like really tightly stretched jersey numbers and tiny little shoulder pads.

Don't get me wrong, I wish him all the best and more, hope he's Samuels' heir apparent, but I just wish he didn't look like the fat slob second-string tackle on my high school team.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Anybody read that Maske book excerpt? It was pretty good. I kinda want to read his book.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Nate, totally. I mean the guy looks smart enough from the shoulders up. http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=5024 But he does seem like he is still growing into his body; filling out those hips. And someone needs to make sure his chin strap stays snapped on. [In the voice of Ralph Wiggum, "The doctor said I wouldn't get so many bloody noses if only I kept my finger out of there!"] I have no idea where that came from

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 1:02 AM | Report abuse

He and the fellow with the tiny ears should be roommates. Instant sitcom.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat - Won't bag you out too much, first game of the season and all. Second time round will be a different story!

I've just had a quick look at some of the RI's scores, did you guys remember to name a Captain? You get double points for him!

Posted by: kost52 | August 14, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

kost, I didn't realize how embarrassing it could be to fail so badly in a fantasy league for a sport I only casually follow.

Not that I want to panic after just one week. That would be like, um, someone up here on the blog after the first preseason game...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't feel as bad losing to Aussies in an EPL fantasy league as I will feel losing to Aussies in an American football fantasy league.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, no reason to panic after week one, you can always make changes to your team, and lineup.

So you're saying Redcoat should feel bad?

Posted by: kost52 | August 14, 2007 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I think Redcoat and I will spend the season duking it out for last place in the fantasy league. We are not good.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 1:20 AM | Report abuse

speaking of fantasy...give me your top 5RBs

im just curious

Posted by: Ryan Clark | August 14, 2007 1:31 AM | Report abuse

The pessimists need to hold on for a second. And enough with the "if only we were the Crows" stuff. Never take purple camo seriously.

Lets assess where we are at. The D was the problem last year. The O was top-half and that will be sufficient to compete for the playoffs if the D returns to top-10 form. There is no reason to believe the D won't come back this year.

As for the gloom and doom, lets not forget that the season before last we were a dropped Carlos Rogers (then a rookie) interception from the NFC Championship Game. When was the last time the purple birds made it that far in the playoffs.

Give it some time people. If we can come out of camp healthy, we have as good a shot as anyone at the division. Especially if McNabb isnot 100%.

Posted by: Mike H. | August 14, 2007 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Man, Skins fans are so down after this preseason game. Imagine if we had actually LOST!

j/k. We looked bad..thats the overriding factor.

Posted by: Ryan Clark | August 14, 2007 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark, my top five fantasy RBs: Larry Brown (1972), John Riggins (1983), Terry Allen (1996), Stephen Davis (1999), Clinton Portis (2005)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Mike, in the interest of being fair and balanced, while our D was craptastic in '06, our O was poopadelic as well. SJK

Um, Mark Brunell? SJK again

A lot of stuff has to go wrong for a team to wind up 5-11.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Where are the crickets? Doggone it, I was told there would be crickets!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Nate - You know how you were saying Heyer looked odd during the game, I haven't seen any footage, but do you reckon it could be because he wears boots which are vastly undersized!

Posted by: kost52 | August 14, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

So I see that this kid we signed on the previous post, Matthias Askew, got into some trouble in Cincinnati off the field. He was Tasered (TM) during a misunderstanding about a parking violation with some of Cincy's finest.

That plus injuries seems to have ended his Bengal career. But I can't quite suss out what he's been doing for the past year.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh that's right, the tiny boots cannot help big Stephon look any more natural out there. He needs a makeover, and soon.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse

That news page had the inactive lists on which Askew appeared many a time for the Bengals... some other familiar names appeared on those lists with him!

Ifeanyi Ohalete, Rashad Bauman, Casey Bramlet.

Good times. I hope you fellers planned for life after football.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:35 AM | Report abuse

I heard some funny chicken little jibba-jabba on the sports radio today about how if the SuperSonics move to Oklahoma City, Paul Allen might move his TrailBlazers up to Seattle, where he is more at home. (Why he didn't just arrange to buy the doggone Sonics is beyond me.)

Just the sort of thing to get people worked up around here in Rip City.

Dumb idea, but we've seen some really dumb ideas turn into dumb reality, haven't we?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:38 AM | Report abuse

From the Wikipedia:

"Ohalete played college football at the University of Southern California. Ohalete is remembered by many USC Trojans fans as the player who committed an unnecessary roughness penalty after a failed fourth down attempt giving the University of Notre Dame a crucial first down and allowing the Irish to complete a 21 point second half comeback in 1999 (25-24)."

Now that's a legacy.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:40 AM | Report abuse

All right, that's way too many comments from me tonight.

Again.

Have a good one, kost plus.

HAIL

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Crickets | August 14, 2007 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Jla;

I just heard that Portis practiced yesterday.

I am assuming that since you did not report it that it was not true. So is he planning on it today? Give us a update so these hamsters can run off on another tangent today. Thanks

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Let's not all be too negative after just one pre-season game. This is what pre-season is all about - getting rid of the rust and trying out a few things. I don't think our O-line is that bad. Once Samuels is back things will improve. This is a line that consistently allows whoever is playing at running back to run the ball effectively and who last year didn't give up many sacks. I don't believe it can just become that bad over one off-season and I don't believe the departure of Derrick Dockery could have this sort of impact. The O-line will be fine. The main thing that's concerning me just now is the number of key players who are either carrying injuries or are trying to come back from injury. Why are we getting so many injuries???? Other teams don't seem to be suffering as much as we are so what are we doing differently? Or are we just unlucky? Anyway, let's all just keep our fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy. If they do, then I can honestly see a playoff run ahead of us this season.

Posted by: Gordi | August 14, 2007 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Good way to start the day Gordi. And I dont know if that was your first post up here, ever, but if it was you will be deemed level headed like Lisa, Paps in Manila, and Old School... and that is a good thing

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Can always do with more level headed people!

Although the ones who don't fall into that catergory, are a heap of fun!

Posted by: kost52 | August 14, 2007 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Come on now kost;

the negative nellies can be frustrating as well

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the eagles looked horrible last night... not that 1 preseason game means anything... but it was better than seeing them look great.

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Gordi
SHUT THE FU** UP! and anybody else who says its only 1 preseason game? line will be fine? You and many others said this last yr and every yr! Your a FUC**NG broken record!!!And like turntable RECORDS your OUT OF DATE! Go back to attic and take that out of date COACH JOE with you!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Lions - 5-11

NFC WEST
Seattle - 12-4
49ers - 9-7
Rams - 8-8
Cardinals - 7-9

Actually probably isnt possible based upon schedules.. but hey, it was fun

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Zebra aka IDIOT REDSKIN FAN bloger that kind of talk is not level headed and gets you and him DEEMED closet fudgepackers! Now take your Sorry A** with GORDI up to the attic where you guys belong!Come back when youve thrown away those UGLY 80s redskins glasses OFF.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

There's the anon little SJK...

Trust me, i yell at the TV calling coaches, players and refs stupid. To the point where people think I am not a fan. But I am not going to get my PANTIES in a bunch over one game.

I know nothing, you know nothing, accept it.

"And like turntable RECORDS your OUT OF DATE!" whew, zing... d@mn, why hasnt Letterman or Leno come calling for you to write for them?

oh, and it is 'you're' as in 'you are'...

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Flag on the play! On Zebra for not ignoring... oh, why bother.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Nice try Nate;

I try to ITA, but sometimes its just too tempting... i accept the flag

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Be strong, buddy, be strong. It's a long season, and the wolves are already coming out of the forest to challenge us. Or something.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 8:23 AM | Report abuse

"Some times the Shepard has to tend to his flock, and sometimes protect it from the wolves"

5 TCCL's for whoever can name the movie this line came from. Also, complete blog get out of jail free card from 'the flag' if they can name the TV show said actor got his start.

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"Bangkokben - Did you join in time? There are a few Ben's in our comp, so I'm not sure if one of them is you. There aren't any Jason's so I guess Jasno didn't join in time."

Kost, I'm in. 1-0! Cashew Chicken wins by five points!

Posted by: bangkokben | August 14, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree that it is not time to panic yet. That said, this was not a win that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling about the future. No run blocking, no pass blocking, no consistant passsing or running attack. The defense looked much better than last year but I don't want to count on the D carrying the load this year. Again we are one or two injuries from being in the dumpster.

God help us if anything happens to Campbell because no matter what the coach says Brunell is done. Right now it looks like the skins have the personnel to go back to retro football. Two tight ends and a winged or split T backfield. Maybe even the single wing.

I probably won't get to see another preseason game down here in NC unless the NFL network carries another one so keep the blogs coming after the next one.

Posted by: oldskinsfan | August 14, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Zebra- Movie: The Patriot.
Actor started on: Benson ( Iknow that's wrong, but had to give a shout out to that show!). Hope I don't offend you PDX Fredskin, since this is also not Redskins related. Just ramping up for the regular season.....

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

old, NFL network replays almost every game. I have to wait til thursday this week for last weeks replay.

So I am almost positive they do so every week.

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Right on the movie 4-12.

The actor Rene Auberjonois started as a voice on the Jetsons.

Most notably on Benson and also Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as Odo the shapeshifter

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,

Mel Gibson got his start on "The Sullivans"

(Flag on me for using IMDB)

Posted by: etrod | August 14, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Nice etrod, so did I.

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

An interesting AP story on the situation: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10293945

Posted by: bangkokben | August 14, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Self-flag here too.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

bangkokben- "the situation". Nicely done. We'll add that to "the receiver". All leading me back to "the rememberies" of last season, which ain't so grand.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

hi, my name is skippy and I have a metal plane in my head. Today at the home we are having spinich for lunch with blue ice cream, yay.

We took the bus to redshins park yesterday and nice Mr Todd Weed asked if I would help him with his blocking but I told him that I dont like to share my legos.

Mr Suntanner Moth says he spoke to that nice Turtle Omens from Dulles and he is now lying in a crime-o-genic chamber to try to fix his hemmy.

I also asked Mr LaVon Lamprey about his broken groin, and he said that "my tentacle is much smaller now thankyou and will you please stop following me".

One of the large fat men who kneel down in front of the nice quakerback Glen Campbell told me that that I should go and play with Joe Bugle, but I can't see where I am supposed to blow into him.

I hope to see you all at redshins park soon.

fondly,
skippy

Posted by: skippy | August 14, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...skippy and Load Man. Separated at birth?

Question-- Why did we sign Todd Pinkston when Freddie Mitchel is on the market. They're equally terrible, but Fred-ex is far more entertaining.

Obscure tune of the day. Jasno, if you have this one, you are truly the master.

Occupation: Freak Magnet by Rainbow Truth.

An absolute must-have.

Posted by: etrod | August 14, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsfan | August 14, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

If there is a positive out of the Mike Vick story arc it may be how treacherous it can be to surround yourself with your "friends" once the big money rolls in. He was surrounded by these cousins and friends that dragged him down, got him to bank roll there lifestyle and pursuits and now are flipping quicker than a beef patty on a fast food grill. Wow. I guess loyalty ain't a two way street....

Posted by: chris Larry | August 14, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The first preseason game gives you a benchmark to improve on...run the ball a little better, protect the qb a little better, find a little more rythum. hopefully you improve and avoid any major injury, find out about some guys who can play, who can't, did your FO find anyone who will contribute .....thats preseason.

Posted by: Old School | August 14, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

How is that a positive, cL? Because it's a learning experience, a cautionary tale, for the rest of us?

I think I see what you mean, anyway...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

It's a no win situation for some guys when they get big. If they separate themselves from the troublemakers, they "Forgot where they came from" and when they don't, they end up #1 on PETA's hit list.

Posted by: etrod | August 14, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Hold up, that Sportsline article (linked above) says Poochie is going to get the start at left guard this week, with Heyer staying at tackle and Wade coming in off the bench.

I feel like that's a new wrinkle -- did anybody up here say definitively that Pooch was going to take first-team reps at LG, even momentarily?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

and theres old school being level-headed... we should be peaking in preseason week 3... if we have a bad game then (think the pats game last year) then we could be in real trouble.

Step away from the panic button

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeah nate cautionary tale...yadda yadda...

My question is...if its like they all won the lottery....just sit around and play Xbox, or invest in a legit buisness....or start a record label.....why not all get out of the lifestyle???? Dont bring the cash cow down...lift him up!

If i was a hanger on, I would be like "Lets not F up this money train!"

Posted by: chris Larry | August 14, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Vick is effed (SJK). The question is does he take a plea bargain here or go to trial? This really does not look good.

All these co-defendants rolling on him sure makes it look like Vick's the kingpin and the feds' #1 target here, doesn't it?

And the feds have that scary high completion % which must seem extra daunting to Vick.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to bring up the shin splints again, but I was late to the blog. Shin splints can be a pain in the SJK to have. Other's have already noted that rest and ice is the only way to let them heal...and possible new shoes.

However, if B. Lloyd did enough running and conditioning during the offseason, I'd imagine he shouldn't be having problems with his shins. I guess a music career is more important to him during the offseason. That's just my take though...

Posted by: CC | August 14, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I expect Vick to cop a deal as well. He will do the 3 months like Jamal Lewis and then halfway house, will owe the fine and have to do community service.

The reason they take this deal is because he would be back for the next season instead of waiting for trial and possibly getting 18 months.

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

This whole shin splints thing reminds me of a pesky high ankle sprain which just went on and on... was that Stephen Davis? Something that sounded innocuous but was really serious.

Without the suspicion of malingering which the wide receiver's situation engenders, of course.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Zebra

Playing competitively is whats important in preseason (looking good/ok)....concern is looking terrible and inept like we did last year and in marty's year. What we need to do offensively is run the ball better to set some passing just to get that rythum and then Joe will pull JC early, but until we do that once or twice he will stay out there in the first half of these games....winning the games is ok and for us its a little important to build confidence, but keep in mind most preseason games are won just like ours v tenn by a bunch of srubbs (both sides) who most likely are getting thier 15 minutes of NFL fame.

Posted by: Old School | August 14, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

CL, loyalty really doesn't come into play when the Feds have you by the short ones. You plead guilty and take your medicine. As far as flipping, what choice do they have? If you are subpoenaed, you have to testify truthfully. If you don't that's another charge and more time. And Vick is responsible for himself. He is the money train. Why would he let someone else F it up? He apparently bankrolled and participated in the dogfighting. Why would he do that considering the little bit of money to be realized from such a venture?

The AIs, PacMans and Vicks of the of the world need to peep the following:

"He had game since he used to hoop at chattum
Neither the ghetto nor defenders could trap him
The stones had his back and they'd pat him
He was living a life they couldn't fathom
Colleges getting at him with all type of scholarships
Even if he went they knew he'd leave college quick
For the pros the one from the hood that was chose
The black rose that grew in the jungle
But humble stud still had rumble in his blood
Women all around giving him trouble love
You know the love when you up they down
Cause you rap or ball they round
Your win is their crown
Dudes in the circle he known for years
Shared beers and cheers but chose different careers
when paper and fame came they ain't know how to react
Them same studs shot him in the back
Now that's black...maybe"

-Common, U, Black Maybe

Posted by: LH | August 14, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

On Mr. Ron Mexico:

"You ain't FAT! You ain't NUTHIN'"

tip o' the chapeu to Weird Al.

Posted by: Dik | August 14, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CC | August 14, 2007 10:07 AM

That's what makes no sense. This was the first offseason the guy worked out hard (in AZ with Springs) and he can't make it through 1 week of camp. He even said this was the first time he wasn't going to use camp to get in shape. I had high hopes he would turn it around, but this is probably a precursor to another disappointing season. We may as well have signed TO as big of an ahole as he is. At least we'd be seeing something on the field come game day.

Posted by: cdubb | August 14, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the past but Casey Bramlet signed with Atlanta..

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

nate

The injury thing is something that concerns me (litte bit) I would just assume not playing the guys at all so these don't carry over into the season, i really don't think portis should play a down samuels same thing, easy on thomas and griffin and any other important guy , even though they are putting more emphasis on the preseason veteran guys don't need much if any work especially if they are nicked.

Posted by: Old School | August 14, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Old School I see your point but guys have to play some so that they can get in a groove and build some chemistry playing together before they go live.

Posted by: LH | August 14, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

LH,

I hear ya, I dont think we disagree really but my point is still valid that seeing this played out to this kind of extreme adds perspective to the whole entourage/posse phenom. Also I was saying if I was a hanger on friend I wouldnt be advising the meal ticket into activities that put my man in jeopardy (RIP Merv) but instead keeping him straight and narrow.

Also I always hesitate to not lump AI into this. I think he has steered clear of a lot of this....being of your culture isn't the issue its being criminal.....

Posted by: chris Larry | August 14, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Wake up Jasno! Wake up! Time for a new post...we've killed this one.

Posted by: Alarm Clock | August 14, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Signing Pinkston states the obvious ...

Lloyd is going to get cut. Randle El is a 3rd receiver at best. Thrash worked with Pinkston in Philly. This might make more sense than Corey Bradford if Pinkston is health.

Posted by: periculum | August 14, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Heyer at guard, Wade at tackle?

Both Heyer and Wade are natural tackles. They agreed to try Wade at guard in order to get him to resign so that he could start. Knowing that they if he learned both positions it would afford them maximum flexibility with a talented player.

They also have guard / center combinations in Pucillo and Tucker.

Posted by: periculum | August 14, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Old School, as LH said, the worry is taking the field against Miami (or even later than that, perish the thought) and for the first time having your O line playing together.

I realize injuries are inevitable and handling them is one of the keys of the modern game, and I applaud the caution versus bringing guys back too quickly, and I also realize that getting guys like Heyer and Pooch reps is a good thing for their development... but still, I don't want to feel like we're in week one and week two and week three and our O line is still getting to know each other.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Cap question:

Would cutting the receiver now clear him from the books for next season or is this still considered "Post June 1st" thus spreading the cap hit over 2 seasons?

If he can be off the books next year, I'm all for cutting him and moving on with what we have. It can't be any worse without the receiver than with him.

Posted by: etrod | August 14, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"L. Johnson Could Rejoin Chiefs Soon

The Kansas City Chiefs appear to be making progress in negotiations on a new contract with Larry Johnson, their workhorse tailback who is holding out from training camp.

The Kansas City Star reported that the deal could be completed this week and enable Johnson to play in the final two preseason games. The newspaper also reported that Johnson's return to the team could put fellow tailback Priest Holmes in jeopardy of not making the club's season-opening roster, with Michael Bennett and rookie Kolby Smith around to back up Johnson.

Johnson set an NFL record with 416 carries last season, and his contract dispute perhaps could end up helping him by sparing him the wear and tear on his body of training camp."

So if priest holmes gets cut, how soon is Redskins One in KC?

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Calm down dirt bags. My plan is to use the 2nd and 3rd preseason games to gauge how Pucillo and Wade perform at LG against starting NFL defenses and how Heyer performs so we know what our depth is at tackle. In the 4th preseason game you'll see Samuels back at LT, the best of Wade/Pucillo at LG, and the rest of the starters. They'll go for about a quarter to work out the kinks. Stop worrying your pretty little heads. HOW DO I SUBMIT THIS DAMN MESSAGE?!

Posted by: Buges | August 14, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

" ... So if priest holmes gets cut, how soon is Redskins One in KC?"

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2007 11:15 AM

I thought Priest Holmes had a back neck injury last year ... wouldn't we need to send a Medi-vac helicopter?

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Nate

its a very long season... I would much rather go into the early part of the season healthy but a little rusty than rush back and be gimpy risking further damage... more time lost. They will find a combination that will play together. If wade doesn't work it might not be the end of the world, because they will play a natural guard and wade becomes a high quality reserve at tackle if samuels or jansen are hurt, giving heyer a year to hit the weights to add strength to his athletic ability (what do you think JM220)

just one mans opinion.

Posted by: Old School | August 14, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yep, sween, they could land the Medi-Vac on the field at the Park right next to Danny's chopper.

That would be the first time in history a player signs a contract while strapped to an immobilizing backboard. How dramatic. Vinny is probably drooling at the prospect.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

HOW DO I SUBMIT THIS DAMN MESSAGE?!

Posted by: Buges | August 14, 2007 11:26 AM

LMGO, Buges and these da#% (SJK) computer thingys.

Posted by: skinswest | August 14, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Now I'm that guy...

what is SJK?

Posted by: Dorf | August 14, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Dorf,

SJK = Sorry Jack's Kids

Jack posted that his kids (10 and soon to be 13) read the blog and that he was concerned about the amount of profanity they were being exposed to on the blog. So, posters began using SJK as an apology to his children after using a curse word or other unsavory language. SMACK (if I remember correctly) took it one step further and began using SJK as a substitution for the curse word, itself.

Posted by: JustMe | August 14, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, man, you have been gone for a while!

Sorry, Jack's Kids

Jack is a dude who came up here and complained that his kids were reading the blog and he was concerned about all the casual use of profane or otherwise objectionable language.

Somebody apologized 'Sorry, Jack's kids' and that was immediately run through the acronymizer. People started writing writing SJK when they used bad words. And then SJK itself became a sort of ubiquitous substitute for a bad word.

Try it out. It's SJK'in fun!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Great teamwork, JustMe. You hit 'em high, I'll hit 'em low.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Nate "I'll hit 'em low" - And finally, the true identity of "deep groin" is revealed.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

All this time I was trying to keep people focused on Deep Cover and Deep Stall... you shoulda guessed.

I woulda gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids and that darn dog!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 14, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.
I Look forward to hear you soon with impatience. Adult Dating[url=http://toplop.com/?idAff=59]Adult Dating[/url]

Posted by: datindksp | August 26, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindsdq | August 28, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindhoy | September 1, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindhoy | September 1, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse