Posted at 1:37 PM ET, 01/25/2011

Post Sports: NFL Championship games,
the Caps at midseason and college hoops

By Washington Post editors

Katie Carrera and Eric Prisbell joined LaVar Arrington, and host Jonathan Forsythe on this week's webcast to discuss the NFL championship games, how fun the NHL All-Star Game captains picks might be, take a midseason look at the Capitals, and address how many NCAA Tournament bids the Big East and ACC might get in March.

Post Sports Live streams live on washingtonpost.com every Tuesday at noon; archives can be found at washingtonpost.com/postsportslive.

By Washington Post editors  | January 25, 2011; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At the Senior Bowl: Evaluating NFL prospects
Next: Redskins looking at Senior Bowl offensive linemen

Comments

After checking out the posts on the last thread, I have to say: Popeye's. Thank goodness they got them out here .... finally.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not watching this.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 25, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

You loud mouth blowhards, shut up!

Posted by: iubiquity | January 25, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

You loudmouth blowhards, shut up!

Posted by: iubiquity | January 25, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Wtf is this?

I'm not watching this!

Idiots.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I like the idea of the NHL guys picking the All Star teams.

I'd also like to see all pro playoffs adopt a similar concept. The top seed gets to choose which of the remaining teams it wants to play. The second highest seed gets to choose next among the remaining playoff teams, etc.

It would be ok in baseball, where there are only 8 teams, more fun in football with 12 teams ... and great for b-ball and hockey, with 16 playoff teams.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 1:59 PM

I've thought that as well. Crazy that a team that positions itself all season long to be a top seed has to play a HOT team that sneaks into the playoffs. But I guess to be the best you need to beat the best, and be able to beat anyone...idk.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

was there a change to 'sports insider', because I thought this was 'redskins insider'.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 25, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

KFC sucks.

Popeye's rules.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

bean

...was there a change to 'sports insider', because I thought this was 'redskins insider'...

True.

And, btw, Spring Training commences about a month from today.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 25, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 1:59 PM

This would be awesome just for the hype it would generate.

The game becomes a little personal just by virtue of the fact that one team is straight up calling out the other...

I try to envision someone like Joe Gibbs, who was masterful at making the most crappy teams sound like terrifying juggernauts, handpicking a team he WANTS to play. Can't imagine him doing it.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 25, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 1:59 PM

Posted by: PlayAction

I like a lot of aspects about it. The team that gets picked at the lowest rank is going to be pi$$ed off.

And in sports like hockey, the top team might choose an opponent that is coming off a tough 7 game series, instead of a team that got through in 5 games.

You still have to beat whoever you play and its never easy. Still, the best teams ought to be able to choose their path

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

KFC sucks.

Popeye's rules.

Posted by: PlayAction

As far as chicken and biscuits, there isn't a doubt.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 25, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:22 PM

Oh snap...what if the top seed wants to play another top seed below them that earned a home game/series...we need to figure that part out first.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

You poor souls outside of the greater southeast who have never experienced the terrific feeling of going "Bojanglin'". May God rest your souls?

Posted by: ZornInMySide | January 25, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

9 for the BE, 4 for the ACC...

Posted by: Stu27 | January 25, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

SAVE THE T*TTIES!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | January 25, 2011 1:46 PM |
----

save the ta-ta's ?

Posted by: hessone | January 25, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

KFC sucks.

Popeye's rules.

Posted by: PlayAction

As far as chicken and biscuits, there isn't a doubt.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 25, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Fact. Not an opinion

Posted by: Stu27 | January 25, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

This would be awesome just for the hype it would generate.

Posted by: Alan4

You bet it would up the hype, create rivalries, etc

And you know someone would go offscript at some time a try to take out a hated rival in round 1, just to make statement. It'd be a lot of fun.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZornInMySide | January 25, 2011 2:26 PM

Bojangles is good too...definitely better than KFC...I'm not driving 50 minutes for fried chicken though.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

KFC sucks.

Popeye's rules.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

KFC sucks so bad I'd rather have grocery store fried chicken.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 25, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

PA

...I'm not driving 50 minutes for fried chicken though.

I'll brag and say the fried chicken I make is better than all of them...

...and I'm so good, I make my own buffalo wing sauce.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 25, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:22 PM

Posted by: PlayAction |

You could do this two ways. The top half (home teams) get to select from the 'away' teams. Or you could just go top to bottom. Me? I'd love it if a #1 seed went after a #2 seed in an early round. But I think, if it happened, home teams would have to select from the away teams.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I rarely eat fried foods but when I do chose to put low grade fuel in this high octane physique...it's would no doubt be Popeyes.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 25, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

f'n loseable type just ate my screed. It was awesmoe, too.

Basically:

* Teams choosing their own playoff opponents? WRONG

* Any part of the ball touching the ground still called a reception? WRONG

* Offense not allowed to advance it's own fumble when less than 2 min on the clock? WRONG!

They're turning the NFL into soccer. See? The QB takes a dive to avoid responsibility... awful. Just awful. They should just give everyone a floral print speedo and send them to the beach.

F the competition committee and their pu55y bs.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 25, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:52 PM

But what if a team like the Iggles (10-6) would rather play the division-winning Seahags (7-9) than the wild card Packers (10-6)?

I'd like to see it wide open, because I do like the idea that a #1 seed could call out the #2 seed immediately. That would be incentive for teams that lock up their division early not to coast through the end of the season.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 25, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Take this year's NFC playoffs. ATL would get to choose their opener from GB, Chi and Sea. From that group, I'm picking Sea, not GB.

Imagine if the Saints had won. Then ATL would choose from Chicago (coming off a bye), GB and NO -- their division rival. The hype over the choice would have been off the charts.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Bojangles!

That stuff was good back in the day. haven't had it in years, though.

Any of you ATL types been to the Gladys Knight Chicken & Waffle place?

Went there last time I was down there. I will go back next time. It's good.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 25, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | January 25, 2011 2:58 PM

I'm going to go home...have a few drinks...and figure all of this out tonight.

What's your take on fried chicken Alan?

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

And you can only imagine what Rex Ryan would say if the top seed selected to play his team over the other team eligible.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

What's your take on fried chicken Alan?

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 3:02 PM

There's no debate. Popeye's is the best. But if you don't want your chicken fried for some strange reason, KFC's grilled chicken is actually better than their fried chicken.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 25, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm supposed to make a rotisserie chicken tonight but it might just get fried instead. I have an iron skillet, lard, Tony Chachere's, and some buttermilk. I'm good to go.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 25, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

kfc is terrible, popeyes is da sheet, i mean you can get spicy, finally boycotted kfc after we were in canton for the hall of fame game in '08 and had a family meal for the tailgate, bad bad mistake, the chicken was eating itself

amish market in germantown has some bangin' fried chicken

saw my 1st Wiz game in damn near a decade last night, Wall is a beast, blatche is a bama, it really was like watchin Skins football out there, just so sloppy

Posted by: retroskins14 | January 25, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I designed a better playoff format for b-ball and hockey.

I've always felt that after a tough regular season, home court/ice advantage seemed awfully small as a reward for finishing higher up. Now, my suggestion would never fly because the leagues will think there would be less revenue (fewer games).

I'm not so sure, because it would make regular season games more valuable and the early playoff rounds much more interesting -- resulting in bigger audiences for both.

Plus, the most watched games are knockout games -- like in March Madness or game 7's. You get one week of knock out games -- 1 loss and you are done.

So here goes:

18 teams make the playoffs (compared to 16 now), 9 in the east, 9 in the west. Of the 9, the top 3 teams get a bye for the knockout week.

Right there, teams have a huge incentive to finish top 3 in the regular season -- making regular season games more meaningful.

On opening night, the #6 seed plays #9, #7 plays #8. Losers are one and done, the two winners move on.

The #4 hosts 1 of the winners, #5 seed hosts the other. Again, its 1 game. Winner moves on, loser is done. The two winners meet, and the winner of that game moves on. At that point, there are 8 teams left (4 in the east, 4 in the west), and you use the standard best of 7 format the rest of the way

What I like about this is that every team has reason to want to move up in the standings. The regular season isn't just about who gets to play at home in game 7. There is a big difference between being the #3 and #4 seed. Big difference between #5 and #6. And if its a 1 and done match, being at home is a big advantage. So every regular season game matters ... and I think that would draw more fans.

Of course, knockout games are always more better draws than a game 2 in a best of 7.

By the time there are 8 teams left, you get the top 3 from each conference and the hottest team from each conference.

If nothing else, I'm sure the Caps fans up here would have liked that format in 2010.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Fried Chicken Allen?

Is that like Chicken à la King?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 25, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 25, 2011 3:00 PM

Don't know what they're doing in the ATL but the GKC&W that opened here was terrible and it folded like Oscar DLH in the Hopkins fight. Roscoe's House of C&W, on the other hand, is the shizznit. If you're ever in LA it's a must you visit.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 25, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

If you're ever in LA it's a must you visit.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 25, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

It's on my bucket list.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 25, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Fried Chicken Allen?

Is that like Chicken à la King?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 25, 2011 3:21 PM

It's called "Fried Chicken Alan". And it's only to be eaten by attractive women... no teeth.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 25, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Mark this day down as the day when all the RI peeps actually AGREE on something (although moe says his fried chicken is better than anyones)...and hessone probably likes KFC.

...and zeke your new playoff format just gave me a headache haha thanks

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I went to Gladys Knight & Ron Wynan's Chicken & Waffle House in ATL this passed year and had the "Midnite Train" special (4 big wings and a waffle). Good food, but rough neighborhood. You have to tuck your leftovers away like you are carrying a football and run to your car dodging the homeless guys running up begging for your leftovers! Michael Turner didn't have anything on me!!

Posted by: mrlowery1 | January 25, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't necessarily disagree but before getting shot and going to jail Pac wasn't selling a ton of records like that. He has more posthumous albums than albums released while he was alive. His posthumous albums, which are filled with songs no one wanted to release while he was alive, sold way more than the All Eyez on Me and his best work Me Against the World. I just think he and Biggie have been mythologized to the extreme.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 25, 2011 1:32 PM

Agree...somewhat...there were alot of post-life albums that were bangers...he has over 15 albums post life.

Me Against the World and the 7 Day Theory are neck and neck as his best.....

7 Day Theory, Track 11, verse 2 is one of the realist verses ever......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 25, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

...and zeke your new playoff format just gave me a headache haha thanks

Posted by: PlayAction

But you'd love it -- if it ever happened.

I wouldn't want a championship decided in a 1 and done format except in football. But having the lower seeds go through that to get into the final 8 ... it'd be a fun week.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 25, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

More senior bowl beeps.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 25, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

KFC sucks.

Popeye's rules.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 25, 2011 2:19 PM

....STAMPED....

But, this is not how we write in RI....

Popeyes Rulz

KFC Drulz

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 25, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

meeps

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 25, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

moe says his fried chicken is better than anyones

try this:

I fry mine in canola oil in a fry daddy.

I only fry wings, thighs, drumsticks--not breast meat, backs.

This makes it less 'greasy' and fattening.

I season it with a wisp of garlic and onion powder, salt, and black pepper.

I lightly flour the meat.

The chicken is so good, Klansmen drive to my home from miles around to eat it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 25, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Please stop doing this. It's horrible.

Posted by: themantoyou | January 25, 2011 6:02 PM | Report abuse