Collins Struggles -- and Other Practice Buzz

I'm chatting on washingtonpost.com, but wanted to take care of you guys here, too. Was kind of a disjointed practice, with a lot of procedural penalties and a stilted pace early, and then a pretty good finish.

Todd Collins did not look crisp, and Jim Zorn seemed to be protecting him a bit in his comments to us. He went to great lengths to talk about the fact that Todd was working with the second team and facing the first-team defense, and Zorn even blamed himself for screwing up the call on a motion.

But still, Collins's body language alone conveyed frustration and, while it's still very early, it's also worth pointing out that he clearly is going through some learning pains in this offense after 10 years with Al Saunders. Collins has done things one way for a very long time, and Zorn is definitely an unorthodox guy who comes up with unique drills and takes on things; that dynamic is worth watching.

Zorn said he expects Chris Samuels to begin doing some team work this week, working back from elbow surgery, but it's unlikely he will play much if at all Sunday. Samuels took a cake in the face from his pal Randy Thomas in honor of his 31st birthday, and was serenaded by teammates.

I continue to hear a strong buzz about rookie tackle/guard Chad Rinehart, and Zorn told me he sees and hears the same thing. Again, it's very early, but the kid seems pretty unflappable, is clearly tough - not uncommon for his blocker to end up on the ground - and relishes contact. Basically, he's a quintessential Joe Bugel guy. "He could be really good," Zorn said.

Zorn said young lineman Andrew Crummey is also impressing to a degree, though he is more raw than Rinehart and has a ways to go. If these guys can supplant veterans like Todd Wade and Jason Fabini for back-up spots, all the better for the long-term growth of the franchise (though I imagine the vets will still be here, given the health and age of the starting line).

Jason Taylor didn't do a whole lot and admits he still does not know all of his teammates' names, after just a week here. He said he took regular work this weekend but is still adjusting to the defense. "I think I'm fitting in pretty well," he said, saying the staff is "pacing" him into things.

Stuart Schweigert said he strained his calf in Sunday's scrimmage, tried to play through it, and now is sore. He said his status is "practice-to-practice" and overall Zorn said he is going to be very careful with these muscle injuries, particularly with the youngsters.

I wouldn't expect to see either player Sunday night.

LB Rocky McIntosh hasn't done a whole lot lately, coming back from major knee surgery, and Zorn said that indeed "right now we're holding him back, but he's getting better."

Zorn said overall he's not overly concerned with the injury situation, considering most are minor, but does not like the fact that rookies are losing valuable learning days in practice.

By Jason La Canfora  |  July 28, 2008; 11:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schweigert Ailing as Kids' Week Begins
Next: Blades to Have Knee Surgery

Comments

First?

Where can I claim my prize?

Posted by: Not Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

oooooh

I like what I'm hearing about Rinehart

Posted by: cmurphy | July 28, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Good post.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 28, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

ABOUT BRINGING A VET BACKUP QB

So they BETTER not need a veteran backup QB, or have to bring in a CB or linebacker if, say, Springs and/or McIntosh goes down.

By the way I LOVE the "Collins is intentionally tanking to boost campbell's morale" Conspiracy Theory. Who startd that, Edgar Mitchell?

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I havent done my reasearch on this but I beleive its pretty accurate, but every year the Giants win the superbowl, the next year the skins win it. Not really saying we are super bowl bound just an interesting tidbit

Posted by: SAK | July 28, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Good call, if the aforementioned player were just a guy. JT's still one of the top DE's in the league.

Posted by: Greg | July 28, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"He said Malcolm Kelly and LaRon Landry are getting close to being ready to practice after suffering hamstring injuries last week, but in general Zorn said he will subscribe to his pal Steve Largent's philosophy on injuries - when you start to feel good, especially this early in the season, take another week and overcome it completely."

Completely agree with this quote. Later in the season, during crunch time, sometimes you have to push it. But during preseason, pushing it and risking re-injury can backfire immensely. I like that Zorn is taking steps to ensure full health before having his guys go full speed again.

Posted by: psps23 | July 28, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

+++Again, it's very early, but the kid seems pretty unflappable, is clearly tough - not uncommon for his blocker to end up on the ground - and relishes contact. ++++---JASNO

By "blocker" I assume you meant "blockee"

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Todd Collins..starting quarterback...anyone......................anyone.............DIDN'T THINK SO!!!!!

Posted by: virtueandvice | July 28, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Jasno on Colt Brennan, in his chat:

He's got a long road ahead of him. He kind of throws the ball like a shotput, and that's not going to play up here. He's getting [a] ton of information and mechanics thrown his way and trying to digest on the fly.

This guy is a project, and will need years - plural - to be ready to even stand in as a backup. If he becomes a capable backup, then it will have been a great value pick, and to hope for anything more than that would seem a stretch at this early stage.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

reposted from the previous thread:

brown,

you are probably wise to refrain from getting your hopes up but i look at our team and i really have a good feeling about this team. This team looks noticabely better than it did at the same time last year, and much better than it did the end of last season. Going in to this season, i was tempering my optomism for three reasons:

1) Jason Campbell. Is he the real deal? I had my doubts and was very vocal about him here. But I have heard nothing but good things about him and even peter king - who would love to find a reason to criticize anything about our team has been RAVING about Campbell. I'm no longer worreid about campbell.

2. No pass rush - This has been completely solved by Jason Taylor. Its hard to imagine one player completely changing a dynamic of the game, but Taylor does just that. I'm no longer worried about our defense generating a pass rush.

3. Zorn. He's a first year head coach who has never called plays before. This is the only concern that i have ANY doubts about, but everything i hear only diminishes my doubts. Sure he's inexperienced, but can he really be worse than a HC who is constantly in conflict with the offensive coordinator over what philosophy the offense will take, a guy who calls two consecutive timeouts to ice a kicker in a critical point in the season?

The way i see it, we've eliminated all the major problems with this team from last year and upgraded significantly at every position that needed to be upgraded. I'm very very VERY excited about this team in 08.

Posted by: talkshowhost | July 28, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

i hear all this stuff about collins struggling. how is CAMPBELL aka the STARTING QB doing??

Posted by: greg | July 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised by Rinehart. He was drafted in the same round that Dockery was picked in (a solid starter here), and he's got Buges coaching him up. If he's not replacing Kendall by next season, I'll be shocked.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from previous thread.

Hi all, an ugly day or two up here for comments...

* RI fantasy post *

I've reminded the final 4 o/s 'owners' to sign up for the RI fantasy league. I was also going to send out an email to ask when people would like to do the draft.

* end RI fantasy post *

Corkczar, are you STILL griping over Jason Taylor? Maybe you guys should send him back!! :)

He may have weighed in at 244, but I guarantee he won't be there by season opener, he'll be back in the 250s same as always. For some reason you seem to think that every running play will be directed at him - and only him - for every down he plays. Why is that? And if they bring a safety up to the line if that's going on, what then? Still can't stop them?

If they aren't trying to double-team JT it's probably a running play, so you might actually get some 'clues' from the offensive formations. But presumably no-one will read those....

Posted by: Redcoat | July 28, 2008 11:49 AM

Posted by: Redcoat | July 28, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

++++Oh wait, I forgot. All the Redskins free cap money is now invested in a 34 year old DE.

Posted by: Greg | July 28, 2008 11:46 AM++++

I'm just tweakin'. But honestly, if DANIELS is the only player lost for a long time on defense, the trade could look like a smart move.

BUT...the 'skins are very thin at CB, so thin at safety they have to move Springs over there in practice, and Gimpy-kneed Rocky Mac isn't even hitting yet at the very thin LB position.

BEST CASE: Sinclair or someone else picks up the slack at LB, both Torrence and J.T. Tryon can play in a reserve role at CB, and EVERYONE on D stays healthy.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, TSH...this team is still pretty top heavy talent-wise, and it looks like we're relying on rookies to have big years (one or both of the WRs, the coaches, Tryon at CB). Mix that in with a tough schedule (toughest division in football AND the AFC North) and I can't help but think that 8-8 would be a good year. I hope this team can get to at least 10 wins, but I can't see a better scenario than that.

But then again, the Giants won 10 games last year and won it all...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Jasno on the punt-off in his chat:

We will write about this later in the week.

The 5 preseason games will tell this tale. I can tell you that the coaches have been waiting to see if Durant Brooks blinks - if he freezes up or looks overwhelmed or has what Zorn calls that "fish" look: glazed over, mouth agape, bug-eyed. No one has seen it yet.

Frost knows that, having invested a pick in Brooks, he's got real competition on his hands. Should be pretty interesting.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:55 AM

I think they're just playing Springs back there 1) because they're trying to save Landry and Schweigert and the rookie (whose name escapes me right now) and 2) to get the idea into Springs' head that he may have to play back there in the very near future. I have a hard time believing he's going to be a top-notch corner for much longer...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I *heart* Todd Collins, don't care what anyone else says.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

am I completely off here, but didn't we have two punters one season - one for the distance punts and one for the finesse? I wanna say when Robie was here (tyvm Miamuh!)?

...anyone back me up here??...

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Chia, you'll always have Toddball. They can't take that away from you.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I know for a fact that Nate has a huge man crush on Todd Collins and secretly desires that he is thrust into the starting QB position, sooner rather than later.

Nate is also a big believer in the WAC and thinks Colt Brennan is the true future of this franchise.

Nate also doesn't believe JC is smart enough, fast enough, or anything else enough to lead the Redskins to the Super Bowl promised land.

Nate also loves David Klingler, who rewrote all the passing records for the mighty Cougars.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Damn. JLC has really been laying into Collins pretty hard these past few days. I'm sure that he's actually struggling, but why is JLC harping on it so much? Does he personally dislike him?
It's one thing to mention it if Collins throws a pick, but he's not talking about Brennan fighting for the backup spot and he's going on and on about it. Interesting. There have to be a few more prominent trends out there, eh?

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | July 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Is that really you, Heath?

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | July 28, 2008 12:15 PM

BOOOOO...Oh, sorry Heath. Force of habit...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Philadelphia's "championship curse" is over. They won the Arena Bowl. The victory parade will be held today on South Street frm 2:00 to 2:15. Dozens are expected to attend. Including Bon Jovi.

Posted by: dlhaze | July 28, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Heath,

I met you at Carlisle when you were just a rookie. You were riding your mountain bike to practice. My GF at the time had a huge crush on you and we chased you down.

Anyway, you signed your rookie card for us, which I still have to this day.

Thanks again for being so approachable.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Bon Jovi is a partial owner with Jaws

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

anyone seen any ocean front property in Arizona for the clay figurine?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Happy for John Bon Jovi.

Nice to see him raise that trophy...

He still looks great!

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze | July 28, 2008 12:20 PM

Yeah, that should end that angry streak Philly fans have...hope they enjoy it because that's the only title they're getting there anytime soon!

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Already scoped out that ocean front property in Arizona.

One word: Overpriced.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

And on what kind of mountain bike can you reach the pedals?

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet,

A signed Heath Shuler rookie card is currently worth -$5.00...that's right. You actually have to pay money out of your pocket if you want to continue to possess it.

Posted by: Beckett | July 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

We were on foot.

Heath was riding the bike.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

did he miss as many sidewalks as he missed receivers?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Arizona is just like being at the beach, without the water.

Once there was a lot of water there, though.

You can find sea fossils if you look hard enough!

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell me again why we resigned Todd Collins when we knew we were changing the offense? Couldn't we simply have scooped up Trent Dilfer or something?

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

RC - Send out that email so I can reserve my spot.

Someone else from the last post wanted to join as well.........

Posted by: 4th | July 28, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

JLa does read the blog.

Have no independent confirmation, just a gut feeling.Plus sometimes he makes references to comments posted up here.

For what it's worth, I like his panache. Keep up the good work, JLa!

Verve away, buddy...

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

4th, I sent the reminder earlier today to rightwaytax at hotmail dot com. Maybe your spam filter is blocking?

JM220, EaglesFan Adam, Zebra - I can't hold these slots open much longer as we need to tie down the draft date.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 28, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2008 12:37 PM

Dilfer f-ed up his Achilles tendon playing basketball a couple weeks ago. So his career is over. I think we should have brought in Frerotte for one more go, but that's just me.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Gus Ferotte?

The head banger?

I dunno...

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 12:04 PM

I don't think Springs ever plays Safety for the Redskins. I believe next year is his last year under contract with us and he'll be too expensive to keep to play safety. If we could get him to sign an extension that lowered his cap number significantly - MAYBE. but we've got young guys back there. Why cut them or relegate them to being backups when they are the future? is it worth it just to keep an aging defensive back a couple more years?

Posted by: talkshowhost | July 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

We were on foot.

Heath was riding the bike.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 28, 2008 12:30 PM

So a clay figurine on foot is faster than Heath on a bike... and you wonder why he never made it as a pro!?

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 28, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Expect a good year from Springs no matter where they play him, although that should just be at CB. It's a contract year for him, so he wants to play well AND show that he is not injury prone.....unless he is seriously mulling retirement. But now he is gonna have alimony checks, so I'm thinking he will want to extend his career and make a ton more money....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

above comment was me (about springs)

Posted by: dlhaze | July 28, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Ferrotte is no step above TC imho. I saw him for a season down here in tha 305 and it was ugly. He had a hard time beating out Culpepper... ugh.

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

++++For some reason you seem to think that every running play will be directed at him - and only him - for every down he plays. Why is that? And if they bring a safety up to the line if that's going on, what then? Still can't stop them?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 28, 2008 11:49 AM++++

Good post, but actually did DID NOT say that. If I implied it, let me clarify. What i said was, having two light DE's as the Redskins do, two DE's who mostly use an outside rush, opens up the OFF-TACKLE running game for the opponent.

That doesn't happen if the defense has one (primarilly) pass-rushing DE, and one adroit at stuffing the run. With that setup, you can adjust your defense to stop a run between the DT and the pass rushing DE. Remember how that was a great weakness of Carter's? In the Redskins case, they adjusted to "protect" Carter and let him rush, which is his primary skill.

Most of the time one DT plays off the center, while the other one plays outside shoulder of the other guard. That guy "protects" the pass rushing DE.

When you have TWO relative lightweight, pass-rushing defensive ends, however, the offense can chose to run either side, and will simply run toward the DE who is NOT being protected by overshifted DTs, a safety moving up, or a MLB cheating over.

Sure, it's a chess game, and the 'skins will adjust to that. I personally think Blache will use Evans more on running plays and put Taylor at LB. He may end up using Taylor like the 'skins did with Washington last year, (and with Lavar before that.)

That could end up pretty much solving the problem. It protects Taylor, it allows rotation in the thin LB corps, and of course, the OFFENSE now must game plan where Taylor will line up on each play.

Remember, too, Carter played a game at LEFT DE last year, against the Vikings, so he didn't have to go against 335 pound all pro McKinnon. I would NOT be surprised if Carter has some snaps at LDE with Taylor at RDE.

THAT could drive a OLT crazy.

One thing I hadn't really mentioned, was pointed out by former player Ross Tucker. Go to Sports Illustrated.com and see how he points out the difficulties Taylor might experience this year, particularly playing LEFT defensive end.

R

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when he's been doing those old tricks for over a decade.

Posted by: Josh | July 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Collins can "struggle" as much as he likes in training camp.

I'm confident that if called upon, he'll come through for the team as he did late last season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | July 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Rinehart's "blocker" ends up on the ground? Is Rinehart being used to rush the passer now? Typically, the guy opposing the O-lineman is a defender, while the O-lineman is the "blocker."

Posted by: Mike H. | July 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Keeping Collins without saunders's offense was a mistake. Oh well. Teach Colt the offense and let him be the backup with Collins serving as the emergency guy. They probably should have brought in a slightly less ancient vet with experience in some version of the west coast rather than resign Tom er... Todd Collins.

Posted by: Mike H. | July 28, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I doubt the salary cap would be a problem should the Skins need to sign another player. For instance, they could extend Jason Taylor's contract by a year and convert 5 mil of his 8mil/yr salary to a roster bonus. That would free up 3.3 mil/year for additional players; at the cost of 10 mil as a guaranteed bonus.

Posted by: Siris | July 28, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
What's with your attire at camp? You look like a frat boy who just rolled out of bed for a 9:00 a.m. class. Maybe the reason Vinny Cerrato doesn't talk to you is because you look so unprofessional. I know football practice isn't a black tie event, but at least look presentable, man! All the other media folk did.

Posted by: Frank | July 28, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Taking Corkczar's Vikings quote out of context to facilitate a spurious Jason Taylor post. Again....

JT vs. Vikings, November 2006...

1.0 sacks, 2x forced fumbles, 1x INT returned for TD (51 yards)

Note what Brad Johnson says in the 'recap' tab about JT 'reading' the whole play (a screen to Chester Taylor).

I posted the other day that in 2005 and 2006 Saban had JT lining up on both sides as well as lining up as a linebacker. If you guys do the same, he will wreak havoc...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 28, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It seems I'm probably the only one who feels we are at a big disadvantage in pass defense with Reed Doughty on the field. I wish they would cut him first, then work with whatever they have left on the roster.
To field that position.

Posted by: dmccall1 | July 28, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SIGN CHRIS COOLEY | July 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If we had a Seneca on the team then maybe we'd have some credibility with the Native American community.

Posted by: d-bag | July 28, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to hear that Reinhart is doing so well, particularly after all the complaining that Redskins did not address the OL line in this draft.

Posted by: M | July 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Native American Community????

Posted by: George Bush | July 28, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe there were actually fans lobbying for Collins to be the starter based on 4 games at the end of last season. He's a backup and Brennan is a project so all of you still hoping one of these guys becomes the starter and you don't like Campbell for whatever reason need to wake up to reality.

Posted by: Brian | July 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

When the Redskins drafted an OL in the 3rd round this year, I was relieved. Thought to myself "man I hope this guy turns out to be good" as I knew this would be the next hurdle. For a guy to get rave reviews 1 week into his NFL career is HUGE for us from an offensive line standpoint. If this guy is as good as advertised when the regular season comes around this is going to be one the most slept on and overlooked blessings this team has gotten in a long long time. This guy Rinehardt becoming a stud could be bigger than any of these WR's that we drafted in regards to how vital this is to our future. Don't underestimate how important it is for this team to see Rinehardt develop & prosper. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Because his development is almost as important as our young QB's development, and I'm not talking about Colt "45" Brennan. We are getting old and brittle in the interior of our O-LINE and when it's weak I don't care if you have Clinton Portis or Barry Sanders; Malcom Kelly or Ricky Sanders, none of that matters w/out a solid O-Line. I hope we draft early round linemen for the next 4 years...... offensive & defensive !

Posted by: Golden Showers for the ANON | July 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Colt as backup to JC? Wanna buy some land, cheap?

Posted by: FOZ | July 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I do believe Jeff Goerge is available....

Posted by: Marty Schottenheimer | July 28, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Crummey may turn out to be a player. Before a serious need injury last year, Crummey was pre-season All-ACC I believe at UMD. He could be like Stephon Heyer last year.

Posted by: Jay-O | July 28, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

If Todd Collins continues to struggle it will demonstrate that he was a product of Al Saunders system. you can also take from that, coaching continuity breeds success. Hopefully Jason Campbell will be playing in the same offensive system for many, many years to come, ie no more head coaching changes.

Posted by: candy | July 28, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

If Jason struggles I'd love to see Colt Brennan get a chance. He seems a good match for Zorn's O.

Posted by: Bob | July 28, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

PORTIS RUNS FOR 214 IN THE OPENER

Posted by: Skinstradamus | July 28, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: candy | July 28, 2008 6:32 PM
***********************************
Didnt everyone know that already?
I mean, no offense, but isnt Todd Collins struggling without Saunders EXACTLY what anyone would have expected?

Posted by: D | July 28, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Portis runs for 21.4 in opener.

Posted by: creativefunk | July 29, 2008 3:45 AM | Report abuse