Practice Sizzles as Hitting Begins

The Redskins put on full pads Saturday morning for the first time since their season-ending loss to the San Francisco 49ers last December, and it didn't take long for the first hitting to take place.

Defensive players said they were excited to hit for the first time since last season, and in drills the unit looked better than an offense still installing plays and getting up to speed.

"It feels good - thudding," first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo said. "I finally got my first thud with Clinton [Portis], it felt good. It's a huge relief when you're a football player, you get to collide instead of hitting guys on the waist like it's tag football. It felt great."

There was plenty of buzz about a major hit between newly acquired defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and Portis, but both Pro Bowlers played down the contact.

"We had a deal that I wasn't trying to knock him out but then he tried to, he didn't really knock me out, but I tried to avoid him and I lost my footing," Haynesworth said. "If I was not trying to avoid him I mean, of course,,I would have won, but I didn't want to hurt our star running back."

The most notable hit of the morning came on another catch over the middle, this time with second-year receiver Malcolm Kelly going up in a crowd to snag a pass and holding
on despite a strong lick from linebacker London Fletcher.

Kelly "needed that, he definitely needed that," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "You gotta think, I haven't hit been hit since last December. I can imagine in preseason that's the first thing you want to do is get hit. I know it doesn't make sense, but you want to get hit so you can get all that soreness out of you early on."

Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said the pads helped increase the intensity in the session.
But while re-introducing hitting was a good thing, Landry said the contact had to be approached with some caution.

"You gotta hold back," Landry said. "You go out there with the mentality you want to kill somebody, you're going to hurt your own team. You just gotta be careful out there."

By Paul Tenorio and Rick Maese  |  August 1, 2009; 12:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers Sidelined By Calf Problem (Updated)
Next: Daniels Gets High Marks on First Real Day Back

Comments

""On the first play of 11-on-11 drills, second-year receiver Devin Thomas caught a pass in the middle of the field on a crossing pattern and was taken to the ground by cornerback Fred Smoot as safety LaRon Landry ran by and lowered his shoulder a second too late to make contact.""

Lucky for DT...getting wrassled to the ground by Smoot is preferable to an LL shoulder if you're a receiver.

Posted by: p1funk | August 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

See, what had happened was...

Posted by: p1funk | August 1, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah dirty thirty don't hurt Thomas. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

STEENKING BEEPS...

Mayor, I hope you saw this or heard about it and give it its due! Anybody else who was there, hope you got to see that.

Posted by Notorious LMG

Posted by: TheCork

Posted by: TheCork | August 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

“Judging from the comments, a few of you apparently believe I've been too soft on the team. With the Redskins only a few days into camp and having practiced three times to this point, I don't know what I would be critical of even if wanted to take that route.”—RI Duh Mayor.

PERSONAL ADVICE FROM TheCORK TO DUH MAYOR

Stop reading the damn blog. It will make you crazy. Most of us are wack jobs, sportswriter wannabes, borderline psychopaths, psychopaths who crossed the borderline years ago, fans frustrated by 17 plus years and counting since the last Superbowl, immature Mom-clingin' cellar dwellers, baby-seal clubbers, semi-senile old gits with bad prostates, and of course Talent-Evaluator, who is an experimental CIA Cyborg.

Our avowed goal is to steer you, or anyone else in your chair wrong, drive you nuts, make you doubt your talent, make you doubt your sanity, and confuse the living crud out of you with a shattered group personality that makes schizophrenics look like uber-focused Asperger Savants.

I’m the only normal one around here, which should give you an idea how bad off everyone else is. Now, if you’ll excuse me, my cat has just been kidnapped by aliens from the Planet Alderan.

Sincerely Yours,

TheCork

Posted by: TheCork | August 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

“I'm headed out to the field now. Perhaps I'll find something to rip.” —RI DUH MAYOR

Looks like Rogers’ calf beat you to it. I blame your negativism.

Posted by: TheCork | August 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Cork most times I think you way off in left field some damn where. However, I must admit that post was funny. Got me in tears right now.

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Mayor, can almost hear the thuddin´

Posted by: Surfercalavera | August 1, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

When LMG first reported this, I was actually surprised, I was of the opinion that AH was being careful with CP, now JR
just clarified the situation with CP and AH having agreement, and I believe Albert. I know CP is a great RB, but putting AH on his back with deal or no deal? Simply amazing.

Posted by: abxinc | August 1, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Rogers’ calf beat you to it. I blame your negativism.

Posted by: TheCork | August 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I blame Vinny.

Posted by: p1funk | August 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Sincerely Yours,

TheCork

Right, as normal as Pericullum, RedDMV, DickShuttle, Scampbell,4thFloor,talent-evaluator,MistaMoe, the all-star cast of perennial mental patient.

Posted by: abxinc | August 1, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Random Musing from an RI-addicted Skins Fan:

The other night I was flipping channels and came across "V for Vendetta" on TNT (or TBS? what's the difference?). They were showing a scene with Lewis Prothero on TV. Honest to God, the first thought that popped in my head: Larry Michaels on Redskins Nation...

Posted by: p1funk | August 1, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't want to hurt the star? Sure he doesn't...hehehe...

MK12 gets rocked by Fletcher and still holds on! And finished the practice!

progress!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Tavaris Jackson is already down.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: p1funk | August 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"....and in drills the (defensive) unit looked better than an offense still installing plays and getting up to speed..."

This is a trend that is worrisome.

But thing is, defense is usually ahead of offense when practice amps up.

But given how our offense ended up last year, you have got to hope that by the 3rd preseason game, there's marked improvement in the offensive unit's performance.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Cork, you're an amazing diagnostician. Now that camp's geared up, I need to go get my turkey baster with the Prozac back from JLC. Anybody got a forwarding address?

Posted by: boothintexas | August 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

but cork,
alderan are a peaceful people.

Posted by: augustiswest | August 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Should we be happy about this? We've known all along Portis could put people on their backs. What I didn't know was the 330 pound $100 million all world tackle the 'skins just got could be put on HIS back by any 220 pound back."

Really? You are going to judge our newest investment on one hit in training camp he received? And sorry but Portis is not just any back. He is possibly the best blocking back in the league...or at least the hardest hitting blocking back in the league. Umm, I kinda think Haynesworth is going to be ok. Not too worried about this one.

Posted by: Alvin_Walton | August 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse