Practice? We're Talking About Practice?

Okay, many of the walking wounded are back. Jansen (calf) and Todd Yoder (thigh) were the only ones not on the field for practice.

The rest seem good to go. Kenny Wright, Khary Campbell, and Phillip Daniels were back.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 7, 2006; 12:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Walt Harris - Ballin'
Next: Because You Asked For It

Comments

JLC what's the energy coming from Campbell this week after a bad game?

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Has Jansen been hurt all season? I'd prefer a nagging injury or three to my growing suspicion that he's just not as good as he used to be. Or maybe that's not fair, but I haven't been impressed with him this year.

We could NOT run to the right side (that is, behind Jansen) consistently last weekend, but runs to the left went really well almost all day.

Maybe somebody could put together a chart or graph to confirm or deny my suspicion that even among a largely underachieving O line (pass protection for the young QB, anyone?) Jansen has had an especially poor season thus far. Again, blaming an injury would at least shift my feelings from unmitigated disappointment to sympathy and concern.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX, congrats on getting into the paper, Superstar! (Check print edition).

Posted by: SMACK | December 7, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, I don't have ready access to the print Post. Help me out here, somebody. What's up?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

(Furiously searching online for a good newsstand here in downtown Portland...)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey there. Jansen has been beat up most of the year. Like a lot of guys he's gutting it out.
Nate, we run some clips of the "best" reader comments in the dead-fish edition, and you made the cut, bro. Rock on!

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | December 7, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Wasn't there a time in the NFL when a big tough physically put an out-of-line teammate in his place? Why hasn't someone in the locker room jacked Brandon "Can't Get Right" Lloyd up? I read where some players were seething after hearing about his post-woodshed comments. The guy just doesn't seem to get it. If you're perceived as a jerk everywhere you go. Chances are you really are a jerk and a personality adjustment may be in order.

Posted by: Learned Hand | December 7, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

You might want to ask Jason's Editor to send you a copy. That's the least they could do.....

Posted by: 4th Floor | December 7, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

So...what was Nate's comment that made it in?

Posted by: P Diddy | December 7, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Man I love Todd Yoder.

Everytime he does anything I imagine this very cro-magnan attitude with the voice from Mortal Kombat:

"Yoder Block"
"Yoder Catch"
"Yoder Score"

The sounds guys at FedEx need to embrace this diamond in the ruff. Imagine the roar

First Down - YOOOODERRRRR!

"Yoder Rulez"

Posted by: bbtp89854726 | December 7, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok, that is very cool but more than a little embarrassing. I feel like a johnny-come-lately on this blog.

I'd like to thank first and foremost God, in whom all blog achievements are possible. And my agent, and of course my PR rep, without whom I would not have all those millions of reasons to post.

Just back from a work trip so I'm late to the sharing-a-bit-of-personal-identification party, but I think my handle tells most of the story. Newly arrived in Portland, OR, like P Diddy and sfskins and some others cheering our guts out from the left coast. Early 30's, wife and child, spend way too much time on the blog, watch the Skins at a sports bar every Sunday.

Heading to Powell's, greatest bookstore on the planet, at lunch to hit their periodicals section...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Classic! lol

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

No swipe at B Lloyd in your blog...I must say I'm disappointed.

Posted by: karma | December 7, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm late to the party on this one (long night means late start in the morning), but great column by Wilbon.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 7, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

nWo 4 life. It's just toooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 7, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Nate, on Jansen, I remember he did a startlingly great job against the Panthers, esp. because they rushed on his side of the line on JULIUS PEPPERS of all people (admittedly, it was Peppers' first game back after sitting out multiple games due to injury). Congrats on the dead fish print!

Posted by: dcsween | December 7, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

dcsween, great point. I knew I was overlooking some solid efforts by Jansen... but didn't everyone look better against CAR? And though Peppers is a guy any team would love to have, he didn't look sharp again this past week against Runyan.

I should have noted that I like Jansen a lot, but for some reason he's been the focus of my frustration with the O line this year (which, frankly, should be directed primarily at the play calling and not the Hoglets). That's really where I was coming from. If you'd told me all five of them would have been on the field all season, I would have predicted they'd be one of the bright spots for the team, but they've underwhelmed. Especially in pass protection for the kid QB in some critical situations.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, everyong looked good in that Panthers game (and it was the first one I went to this year, it was awesome), but I remember asking my buddy which side Jansen was on and which side Samuels was on because it seemed like they actually avoided running away from Peppers and repeatedly (it seemed, maybe it was the Budweiser) kept pounding on Peppers' side. It was Jansen who was the gamer that day.

Posted by: dcsween | December 7, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

dcsween,

Please go to the game this weekend....maybe you will bring them luck again.

Posted by: Lisa | December 7, 2006 5:12 PM | Report abuse