Pro Bowl Might Be a Honolulu Lulu

Where some see a mockery, others see an opportunity. Whatever your opinion on the matter of fan voting for the Pro Bowl, the results are in and they're decidedly maroon and black.

Dan Steinberg has all the info on the final tally of fan votes, but here's the Cliff's Notes version:

So bring on Shaun Suisham as the leading kicker in either conference, even though he has more misses than any kicker in the league. Bring on Cornelius Griffin as the leading NFC D tackle, even though the Redskins D-line has been the subject of intense angst and RB bludgeoning in recent weeks. The offense is one of three in the NFL yet to crack 30 points? Bah, who cares? Bring on the leading RB, leading FB and leading tackle. Special teams have largely been a disappointment? Tell that to Khary Campbell, the leading specialist in either conference. Power to the people!

Teams will be announced next Tuesday with votes by fans, coaches and players each counting for a third of the final tally.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 11, 2008; 2:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn on the Locker Room, Rookies, and a Bubble
Next: Marty Weighs In

Comments

Awesome.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 11, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

HERE WE GO FOLKS

The response from a New Orleans fan when I asked them about Leigh Torrence. Make of it what you will :

"Redskins fan,

In reference to Torrence,

I have seen him make some good special teams tackles. I think he is still getting acclimated to the system, but I like what I see so far. I think there is a ton of potential there."

Posted by: TheTruth11

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

How's that punt protection looked the past 4-5 weeks.

He's now making plays for New Orleans, and as one scout said, is one of the 3-4 best gunners in the NFL. Football's not always about stats and Pro Bowls, much as a shock as that might be.

Yeah, the Skins score so many points that special teams doesn't matter at all. They're 1-3 since he got cut, too, if you're all about numbers.

Posted by: Masonman | December 11, 2008 3:03 PM |

This too, written by JLaC, does not mesh. Leigh Torrence is a gunner.

Gunners have NOTHING to do with punt protection......

So, when people throw out statements like this, how can I listen to you?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 11, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

why are people happy to see our guys go to the pro-bowl?

i want them hungry (see fletcher)...
also, the pro bowl just increases the value of the player when it comes time to re-sign...why do it?

keep'em wanting more and underpaid!

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | December 11, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I think not, which goes back to my original point. This is on Zorn.

And please don't give me the Eddie Royal/DJackson/Any other small receiver example that dosen't mesh with this argument......

Posted by: DaReal4th

Zorn can only call the plays and schemes for the opponents. He can't catch the balls that hit M Kelly right in the hands, or make Thomas run better routes.
I do think it's time to see what Davis can do. Cooley is good, but not the best blocker, and he won't run away from any LB in the league!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 11, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Cyn how can you agrue with CP getting a lot of votes?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 11, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

psp, whats your point in posting that?? Some fan thinks torrence has potential...isn't that the same as us saying he's not that good? Why does what they say hold more water??

Cork, you said this in a previous post:

w"hich means it can and will be cold as hell many weekends in December when runs work and passing doesn't"

You've heard of the New England Patriots right?? They've been to the super bowl a few times recently right, have had a ton of HOME PLAYOFF GAMES in the past few years?? What was their offense predicated on again?? I'd also venture to guess that playing outdoors, in both December and January, at NO POINT IN TIME did their passing game suffer.

Your thoughts....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Only Redskins who deserve trip to Hawaii

CP
Fletcher
Cooley

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The only ones who deserve it are:

CP
Sellers
Fletch
MAYBE Rogers
MAYBE Horton

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, all pass catchers in a WCo have a harder time to 'get it'. Think about how philly and sea always never seem to find the guys that fit.... or maybe they are from the horrible wr coaching tree of holmgren... but no real super stars on those teams from the WR position...

Posted by: Zeebs | December 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | December 11, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

keep'em wanting more and underpaid!

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | December 11, 2008 3:16 PM

And barefoot.

And pregnant.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 11, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I haven't watched a Pro Bowl in 10 years or more, and this year won't be any different.

If the Redskins manage to send 20 guys, that's fine by me; it's not like the Pro Bowl is important to me as a fan.

I'll be happy for the guys that make it though.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If you think that is bad. The Truth lead NFC bloggers for the pro-bowl. But he promptly turned his votes over to TheCork for 100,000 bonus points.

Posted by: NFeKPo | December 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"And barefoot.

And pregnant.

We're already paying most of these guys like Pro Bowlers. Might as well complete the charade."

why so they can become even more complacent?

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | December 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

zeebs, you bring up a good point.

When Philly was winning the east year in and year out, they had virtual garbage at the WR position, Thrash, Pinkston, etc. The year they did get a good player, TO, they went to the Super Bowl.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Ryp,

I agree w Sellars...had him on list but took him off at last second. I think we could develop him into a B Jacobs type bulldozer next season.

Rogers (drops too many INT's) but coverage wise played at high level

Horton made good impact as 7th rounder but still needs work (def candidate for D ROY)

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I disagree partly on Cooley's blocking. I think having him drop back as a pure pass blocker is the only weak spot his blocking has. His chip block and run-blocking is fine and he seems to do a bit of H-Back work now.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 11, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I would never argue with CP getting a lot of votes. Or, for that matter, London Fletcher.

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 11, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

CP LFB CC MS SM LL CR

Thats all.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 11, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

From the chat today RE: CP/Zorn:
Jason La Canfora: Thrown a player under the bus? By explaining a coaching decision? I don't buy it.

JLC, let me just see if I have this right...

Zorn, via the press, accused CP of being unprepared, not knowing the play call/blocking scheme because CP stayed in to block (apparently CP and Terrell Suggs are the only ones concerned about the health of our starting QB) instead of running out to catcha pass that would never have been thrown because JC would have been on his back...

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 11, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

When they first changed the site of the Pro Bowl (around 1980, when the world was young), most players were happy not only to get recognition but also because it meant a free trip to Hawaii and a check.

These guys today can go to HI whenever they damn well please, as often as they please, and the check is meaningless.

Which is probably why every year there are players who opt out at the last second with a "new" injury.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Can't be Cooley - no fault of his own, but he only has 1 TD this year. Has to be 2 other guys besides Witten who have had better years.

Santana is possible, but his 2nd half has been much worse than his first.

Landry - eh. Haven't been that impressed overall.

Rogers great corner but no stats.

Leaves me with CP London 45. Horton probably won't get in but does deserve DROY

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The NFL occasionally considers what to do with the Pro Bowl and mulls whether to hold it on the off-week between the conference title games and the Supe? It's not like they get the Supe players....Ordinarily I have no problem telling them what they should do, but I don't have a solution to this one.

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 11, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

...and it was like the media actually helped explain what was going on in rational terms...

Posted by: dcsween | December 11, 2008 1:12 PM

The media "helped explain" and was "rational?"
I'll speak for TheCindy and say we resent the implication.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 11, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Solution to the Pro Bowl? Simple. Don't play the stupid game.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 11, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

That's why Gibbs went max protect.....

Zorn has a long way to go. Will he ever understand the real world outside of Seattle? I doubt it at this point....

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh Noooooooo!!!! I feel dumber than that congresswoman who twice hung up on Obama. I thought it was a hoax. What’s his number? I owe Zorny running plays for Portis and some patterns so simple even a Redskin rookie receiver can learn them.

Posted by: TheCork | December 11, 2008 3:05 PM

Good one, Cork.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

++++So is it Vinny's fault that ALL 3 of them aren't working to this point? Not one of them?

I think not, which goes back to my original point. This is on Zorn.

Posted by: DaReal4th++++

I WILL TOO give you that argument. First of all, Moss is physically fragile. Had hammy issues for years. HE needed a backup, not the never injured Cooley. So, why NOT Jackson/Avery/Royal?

Some people say "hey they didnt' beat out anyone" to start.

Somehow I THINK they might have beaten out James Thrash to start in Washington.

So in answer to your question do I think it's Vinny's fault. Yup.

He wears the hat. When the cattle don't amke it to market, he takes the fall.

And, if you are going with the "give them time" argument fine. But then you ahve to blame Vinny for the Taylor and Erasmus James mistakes, which have taken away 2nd, 6th and 7th round picks to help rebuilt with.

He has NO PLAN. Even bringing in Zorn was an accident. They brought him in to coordinate, remember? Then they thought lack of experience wasn't an issue.

I believe it's turned out to be.

Posted by: TheCork

Posted by: TheCork | December 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Cork, you said this in a previous post:

Your thoughts....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Does "DaReal4th" = "4thFloor"?

Posted by: 4-12 | December 11, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Yup.

I had cleared out my history, maps, such as, and forgot the password to get back in as 4thFloor.

So, I had to use a new moniker.......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Jasno drives a rough bus. Read his Q&A transcript. He managed to run over many of the usual suspects, and a bunch more for good measure. Here's my body count:

The entire punt team
The front office
Erasmus James
Portis
Riggins
Gibbs
Jason Taylor
Shaun Alexander
Joe Bugel
The O-line
The D-line
The WRs
Randle El
Todd Collins

If he ever got a shot at Death Race 2000, Jasno and his bus would be the real deal.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

DaReal4th and I are playing for DaReal3rd place in our FF league. Even I'm yawning ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It is the stupidest game.

Even more stupider than the extra, bonus pre-season game the Skins landed this year.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | December 11, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I relunctantly set up my squad for the showdown. I'm feeling bummed I'm not in the Championship game and it was mine for the taking.......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The O-line
The D-line
The WRs
Randle El
Todd Collins

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

I say some people are good at revisionist history......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"psp, whats your point in posting that??"

Why not post it? It gives a different, non-Redskins biased opinion on the guy.

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

so its no different that someone here saying that it's not big loss then right?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Ryp,

Rogers (drops too many INT's) but coverage wise played at high level

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I love Sellers, think he is a beast. But IMHO he will not make a great running back like Jacobs. He can overpower people as a blocker, but he doesn't have the nimbleness to keep running when hit. I think he trips and falls too often to be a full-time RB.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

beepin heimer

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | December 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

You think Springs will be healthy enough to play in the pro bowl? He's had plenty of time to heal this year.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse