Punter Josh Bidwell wondered whether career was over

Redskins punter Josh Bidwell walked into the locker room last Sunday in St. Louis and wasn't sure when he'd be able to walk on a football field again.

"It was horrible," Bidwell said Friday. "Honestly, I was just kind of in a daze the whole rest of the game, thinking, is this my last game? Is my career over?"

But Bidwell received good news from doctors and not only does he plan to play Sunday at Philadelphia, he seems to be more flexible now than he was before the injury.

Bidwell suffered a torn labrum in August 2009 and had arthroscopic surgery that ended his season before it started. Last week, he felt pain during pregame warm-ups in the same right hip and feared he blew out his hip entirely.

Bidwell traveled to Tennessee on Wednesday to meet with the doctor who performed the surgery 13 months ago. The punter said an MRI showed "a little bit of tearing, little bit of fraying. Nothing to be concerned about." Structurally, he said his hip is fine, and doctors said the pain was caused by some scar tissue jarring loose, which actually has its benefits.

"There's a couple of spots that I normally couldn't get into stretching-wise that I can now," he said.

"At this point, maybe what was in the way is gone now," Bidwell continued. "With some of the mobility that I have now that I wasn't able to have early on, I'm really hopeful that that's the case."

Bidwell said his practice session Friday was like any other Friday. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan has said that Bidwell will play Sunday. He has 10 punts in two games and is averaging 43.9 yards per punt. He has put two inside the 20-yard line, and his season-long before the injury was a 52-yarder.

By Rick Maese  | October 1, 2010; 2:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: Trent Williams a game-time decision
Next: Haslett will remain flexible about using 3-4 defense

Comments

Good to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this fhucking idiot NPI is a piece of lying dog sh*t. Too bad you're mother didn't do the world a favor and pissed you out in the nearest lake after the failed abortion attempt with the rusty clothes hanger, you fhucking puke!

Hey NPI, have fun getting being butt fhucked by your sl*t ass moms, and getting dominated by your faggit ass dad, you fhucking pole smoker.

This ass hole comes up here perpetrating about the money he's got and the cars he drives. When in fact that clown ass fhucker lives at home with mommy, eats all the 2010 snacks, and ties up the phone line -- from his mother's sh*tty ass basement, that he shares with his step baby brother. Newsflash, fhuckboy, a d*ickhead with money, is STILL a d*ckhead.

What a fhucking simpleton you are. When you're finished tossing Daddy's salad and licking his taint, don't forget to wipe the sh*t crumbs form the side of your mouth. Maybe if you'd stop butt raping your sister for a second she could give you hand.

No not for that, for the crumbs on your mouth, I said, you fhucking taintwipe.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that I pull more women than you pull your own meat, fhuckface. Now go BOOK THAT!

Catch up with ya b*tch ass...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Dear Monk811 and Vic1:

I'm sure you're the same person. But, I'll say this to the "both" of you. Get a life.

Thanks,

Humanity

Posted by: MadeRED | October 1, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear MadeRED,

I think I guessed it!!! You are a tampon and you were made red by being stuck up your momma's p*ssy during her period!!!! Well, sorry bout your luck, you probably stunk before you were shoved in that loose hole!

I am just a simple monk living in my monastery, so I don't know who this vic is. So why don't you mind your own business jerk-off. I think you remind me of this monk at our Art School. He's kinda gay and always picks the dingles outta his azz, kinda nasty cause he just pulls his robe up too far!

Any who, just suck it and leave me alone, I'm sick of taking people's sh*t up in here!

Sincerely,

Monk

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

That's good to hear. I've seen that with some other hip injuries, glad it wasn't serious.

I just hope we don't him that much.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 1, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the fact that we have a PUNTER with a BUM HIP.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like a noodle-leg kicker to me. You get injured and you are more flexible afterwards? This guy's patella is going to fly off and hit someone in the facemask on Sunday.

Posted by: swowra | October 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else wince when they read the injury description..?

Just makes me itch weird....

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

an article about a punter... come on!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 1, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

an article about a punter... come on!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 1, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say that if McNabb runs for more yards than Vick that means we have some serious problems such as receivers not getting open and poor pass protection up front.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 11:11 AM

Or it means that nerd Vick ran for 2 yards.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Exactly- or it means that McNabb went into Beast Mode. Or it means we knocked the convict out, which is what I'd like to see. I almost never root for a player to get hurt but can't say I'd lose a second of sleep if we snapped that pun's leg.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2010 11:31 AM |

Sorry, I thought we were going for reality. Given what we've seen so far I still have to go with my thought. Now if we're talking hopes or fantasy then by all means ...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the fact that we have a PUNTER with a BUM HIP.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Really, this happens a lot. He'll be fine, better than fine.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I seriously doubt he's going to better after the injury than he was before it. But I admire the rationalizing.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Are you ready? Ok, I've administered the epidural. Will you be needing one as well?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

'TD' MARKO MITCHELL strikes again on a 69 yard TD in EDMONTON. It's not too late coach.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 1, 2010 2:50 PM

Which coach? Mike Shanahan, Jim Schwartz, and Brad Childress have all sent him packing in the last few months.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 1, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Catch up with ya b*tch ass...

Posted by: RedDMV
Damn Red,now tell'em how you REALLY feel bruh!

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the fact that we have a PUNTER with a BUM HIP.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Really, this happens a lot. He'll be fine, better than fine.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 1, 2010 3:00 PM

Romo I hope so...however let me rephrase that...I don't like the fact that we have a punter that gets scratched right before a game...and leaves me half drunk and confused as to why our placekicker is lined up in the punt formation.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2010 11:31 AM |

The last thing I want to do is root for Vick to get seriously injured.

But it's still on the list.

As I watch the game I will explain to my 2 Dingos that Daddy is a little upset with Mr. Vick. Once I tell them why they may piss on the TV when #7 has the ball for Philly.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 1, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 1, 2010 2:50 PM

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 1, 2010 3:08 PM

He can't be any worse than ROYDELL PHUKING WILLIAMS!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@scampbell1975, Vick has been a deep bomber so far this season more than a runner. He's got a lot of long TDs, and I'm more worried about him and Desean Jackson carving up our defense than Vick running for a bunch of yards.

Even though both QBs are mobile, any game McNabb runs for a lot of yards is most likely a game where the offense is struggling. Given his injury history, he shouldn't be running the ball too often.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 1, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 2:59 PM

Scamp...that was soooooo 4 hours ago haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 1, 2010 3:13 PM |

Those were my thoughts exactly. That's why I think Vick will have more rushing yards even though he seems tobe passing more as of late. McNabb can run but that is usually the very last resort for him. I think Vick is much quicker to pull it down and run for it even with his new found pocket passerdom. If Donovan does have a lot of rushing yards I think that does not bode well for us.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 2:59 PM

Scamp...that was soooooo 4 hours ago haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 3:17 PM |

Yea I know, late to the party...damn money to be made!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
I just get this image, in the spirit of the Naked Gun movies, where this guy punts and his leg flies off. I don't think I would be so complacent about "a little bit of tearing, little bit of fraying" - especially since it kept me from playing on game day.

Plan "B" is required here. Hope they gave Gano more reps as a punter in practice this week. I guess ringing your punts off the roof of that aircraft hangar is a lot like punting in the Cowgirls' new stadium....

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Snyder

My oh my, I do feel privileged to talk with Dan "The Man" today -- even if it's only through a personal assistant.

I should've figured you kept DT around for some other reason than just getting stuff off the "high shelves" for you -- but frankly, we see so little of the Dude that it's hard to figure if he's still with the team or anything.

Must also say that he's a definite upgrade in the personal assistant department -- if only because he doesn't keep falling down without so much as even a whisper of contact -- and it appears he can even speak a bit of the English language too, rather than all that Ebonics crap they taught Mr. UKnowWho at the U.

Anyways, thought I'd pass along one more suggestion going into this weekend's game with Philly:

DUCK TAPE.

As in, wrap a little around Clinton Portis' wrist to give that tender little chicken wing of his a bit of support, and then turn it around so the sticky side is out and wrap some around his fingers too. Then he won't feel so tempted to just drop and roll up into a fetal position when the Eagle defensive players start looking in his direction.

Then take some tape and wrap it around Trent Williams' knees and toes to give him a bit of support too -- and maybe even some around Josh Bidwell's hips for similar reasons.

Then rip off a nice long piece of duck tape and wrap it around DeAngelo Hall’s mouth -- if only to shut up all that yapping and encourage him to try letting his actions on the field do the talking for a change.

Likewise, give Carlos Rogers a nice-sized piece of tape to cover his eyes and mouth so he will keep from biting on the double move. I was tempted to suggest you sticky his hands up a bit too -- but then figured it wouldn't make much difference anyways.

But do take two rolls of tape and wrap them around the hands of Stephon Heyer, if only to keep him from grabbing and holding onto the Eagles linemen -- and then take a whole case of tape and securely fasten Fat Albert to the bench for the duration of the game – just prove you can play just as well (or badly) without him.

While I can't say that Duck Tape will solve all the problems for the Redskins this weekend, it might help with a few.

Hope this idea helps, and thanks again for your consideration!

Sincerely

Posted by: Vic1 | October 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't figure out why MS/BA got rid of Hunter the Punter. That guy was solid.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't figure out why MS/BA got rid of Hunter the Punter. That guy was solid.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 1, 2010 3:25 PM
------------------------------------------
He spent some time being injured last year, too, but when he was healthy, he wasn't bad.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003,
Looking through all of your be-a-tchy and whiney posts here tonight and I have just one thing to say:

Midol

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

1. only some of those are my beatchy comments, I'm not pabrian2008 (that guy's an idiot)

and B. eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, burn

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2010 10:16 PM

RSH- Not sure Midol has an indication for a sandy vagina.

pabrain- "that guy's an idiot"...too funny. 1 then 2, A and then B, never is it 1 then B.

You continue to add to your legacy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 30, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

part A - saying 1., then B is a joke, and it's funny

and, 2 - That I have to tell u that it is a joke, also funny

and, first of all, there it is again, did u see it, Bam

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 1, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Beware the Double Move.

Happened last year at FedEx vs the Eagirls.

Or is Carlos still under the impression that it happens, and you cant do anything about it?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 1, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 1, 2010 2:50 PM
------------------------------------------
I think Andy Warhol would have said, "In the future, Marko Mitchell will have ten minutes of fame with every team".

BTW, Marko was so yesterday. Our new savior is Brandon Banks. If only...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 3:11 PM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

part A - saying 1., then B is a joke, and it's funny

and, 2 - That I have to tell u that it is a joke, also funny

and, first of all, there it is again, did u see it, Bam

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 1, 2010 3:29 PM |

Actually when you have to explain that something you said was a joke that means it was 1) not funny and B) poorly thought out and III) stupid

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Our starting WR corps should be Marko Mitchell, Brandon Banks in the slot, and Anthony Mix.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 1, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | October 1, 2010 3:34 PM |

...and Marcus Mason should be our RB.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 1, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Vegas has got their shimmy in- 4 and 12 and the 5th 1st round pick, here we come..

Posted by: frak | October 1, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"Bid Well", get it?? The oddsmakers luv him!! Oi, let me go spew some cynic somewhere else..

Posted by: frak | October 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the fact that we have a PUNTER with a BUM HIP.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree! We've had 17 kickers in 11 years. Last year, our punter missed games, this year our punter missed a game. (fact)

This is indicitive of a team in disarray. JUST FREAGIN' PICK SOMEONE, WHO CARES! Focus on every other position, please.
(opinion)

It is also arrogant for a bad team to blame it's kicker or punter. Really Danny? If we only had a kicker...what? super bowl? (opinion)

One could certainly point out a game where a missed kick could've won it (fact), but football is won in the trenches and by playmakers. (op)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

DUCK TAPE??? WTF is duck tape? who tapes a duck? why would anyone name a tape after water fowl? oh you mean duct tape as in air conditioning duct.my bad, let me get the duck tape it's right next to the squirell saw and the pigeon mallet

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hazzzzzlett Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

laptop batteries getting low. one more dip in the pool and I'm outta here

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It's a brand name, Mr. FLA, like Coca Cola and Pepsi are different brands of cola.

See:

I personally prefer Duck Tape to several other versions of duct tape -- because it's stronger, stickier and more economical.

Gorilla Tape is pretty good for certain applications too -- but a little more expensive.

See: http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx