Posted at 12:46 PM ET, 12/15/2010

Punter Sam Paulescu ready to get to work for Redskins

By Jason Reid

Punter Sam Paulescu returned to the Redskins on Wednesday well rested and ready to work.

Signed Tuesday to replace punter and holder Hunter Smith, released after his key role in Sunday's costly botched point-after attempt against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Paulescu said he would be prepared to handle both punting and holding duties against the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium.

Paulescu punted in one game for the Redskins last season, and he hopes to stick long term in his second stint with the team.

"Definitely," he said before practice at Redskins Park. "But honestly, we play on Sunday, and I'm just thinking about today. I'm excited to be here today. You gotta take it one day at a time. I really believe you play the game during the week.

"You practice, you prepare during the week. And Sunday, you just go out there and have fun. That stuff [whether he returns next season] is out of my control. Decisions are going to be made. Honestly, yeah, I do want to be here for a number of years. But, you know, all you can do is take it one day at a time."

Paulescu, who was not not on a roster this season, performed best in Tuesday's punting-kicking audition at the complex. Although long snapper Nick Sundberg's high snap sailed through Smith's hands in the final nine seconds of the 17-16 loss to the Buccaneers, Smith primarily was released because he struggled punting, according to people familiar with the decision.

"You never want to see someone get cut like that at all," Paulescu said. "But it's part of the deal, part of the business, and that's how someone else gets a job, someone's got to lose it. I'm blessed. So, I'm thankful for that."

With Smith sidelined because of an injury last season, the Redskins signed Paulescu to punt in Week 9 against the Atlanta Falcons. He had overall and net averages of 50.0 and 46.0, respectively, during a 31-17 loss at the Georgia Dome.

In parts of three seasons, the former Oregon State player has punted for the Redskins, Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys and Buccaneers. Although technically sound and quick, Paulescu does not have a big leg.

Regardless of how he fares in the final three games of the season, the Redskins are expected to sign multiple punters to compete in the offseason and preseason. At the moment, however, Paulescu is their guy.

"I've been ready. I've been ready punting, holding," he said. "I've been practicing, I've been ready to go. I had a workout [with another team] earlier in the year in September, and I've been ready. I'm excited for the opportunity."

By Jason Reid  | December 15, 2010; 12:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb not worried about rumors that Rex Grossman might replace him
Next: Long snapper Nick Sundberg ready to 'just move on' from botched PAT

Comments

What the heck would be the point of starting Grossman now? No playoff shot, and he's a backup. If he's a Redskin next year, it will be as a backup.

McNabb's future with the Redskins is less clear, so if you're evaluating players for next year, why would you not give him every opportunity to show you (or a potential trade partner) what he's got?

Jay Glazer is a cotton-headed ninnymuggins.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 15, 2010 12:46 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | December 15, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

He is 25th in the league in Passer Rating. He has the 5th most INTs with 15. He is 20th in TD passes. He has more INTs than Tds. He is 27th in the league in comp %.
It is fair to say that McNabb sucks this year.

I've been off the McNabb bandwagon since Week 3.

Sobriety is my new way of life now that I'm not drunk on the notion that Shanahan plus McNabb was somehow going to equal playoffs and not the stupor of continued mediocrity.

It's good that now #5 has amassed numbers--such as they are--my thinking and observations were justified.

Too, McNabb defenders ignore that even where the skins' improved line play isn't the best, the receivers, playcalling, head coaching and running backs are much better than what JC had the past 3 years.

I'd like to think we are to McNabb like what the Giants were Kurt Warner: a way station, a stopping place a veteran quarterback goes through a struggle before moving on to his final destination.

And no matter what happens with him here, we all hope that Arizona is Donovan McNabb's last stomping ground (he does have a home there, after all).

Maybe he needs a job there, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey RI.

I hate the way you throw out multiple new posts back to back like this.

The commenters need to find some rhythm with our posting. Crap like this interrupts our rhythm and timing.

We don;t come here to read your AH nonsense, or your cut-n-paste info from ESPN. We come here to get in a commenting groove.

If you want us to keep coming back don;t throw off our groove.

Thanks.

Posted by: p1funk | December 15, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

he gets passionate verbal felatio from the media at every turn.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I like the regular good ole fashion felatio, but I'll settle for some verbal too!

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

This is what we spend the offseason dreaming about -- holding meaningful punter tryouts in December.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 15, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Jay Glazer is a cotton-headed ninnymuggins.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 15, 2010 12:46 PM

Remind me to stay on your good side zilla

Posted by: PlayAction | December 15, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey RI.

I hate the way you throw out multiple new posts back to back like this.

If you want us to keep coming back don;t throw off our groove.

Thanks.

Posted by: p1funk | December 15, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, 6 posts in 4 hours, how do you expect me to get my 'schtick rhythm' on? Now I know how Jason Campbell feels!

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla

What the heck would be the point of starting Grossman now?

Perhaps there's a desire to improve the turnover ratios of the Cowboys, Jags, and Giants.

It is the season of giving, you know, and Rex gives the ball away like his astrological sign are the letters INT.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Latest rumor is that the Redskins were looking for a punter who could ding the Dallas scoreboard.

Paulescu may not bring much in the way of distance punting, but he seems to better than most in getting height and hang time.

And even if Paulescu only proves to be a one-week wonder, the Redskins front office thought it was worth the effort to find someone who could dent the board.

It's all part of Dan Snyder’s evil little plan to discredit Dallas owner and division rival Jerry Jones -- and his brand new Texas stadium – especially at a time when Diminutive Dan can't seem to come up with enough cash to fund a much-needed indoor practice facility.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 15, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

This poll is on Redskins.com:

Which young player do you want to see more of in the final weeks?

Terrence Austin, WR
Kevin Barnes, CB
Erik Cook, C/G
Macho Harris, S
Jeremy Jarmon, DE
Perry Riley, LB

I'm torn between Cook and Austin, but I voted for Cook cause we need G help so bad.

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | December 15, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...F me if pabrian is agreeing with me. If that doesn't end my day on the blog, I don't know what will...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2010 12:35 PM

Maybe PlayAction soliciting certain sexual favors from you?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 15, 2010 12:43 PM |

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

monk, is there an option for "all of the above"....

seriously, what would be the harm in getting Jarmon active for game days from here on out??

Lather, rinse, repeat with the other guys as well....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Paulescu performed best in Tuesday's punting-kicking audition at the complex.

I thought the one-legged Australian punter they brought in would win that contest.

Not getting the redskin punting job made him so depressed, he died.

Don't worry, they buried him in the coffin-corner.

According to the funeral program his name was 'Shank Hangtime'.

And we can say, is that like Gano field goal attempt, he will be missed.

(INSERT rimshot audio and bad pun groan as Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanks his Crocodile Dundee aborigine made tie while complaining about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The reason those young guys aren't seeing the field is because they can't play. They're simply holding down roster spots for free agents and draft picks from next year. If they're all on the active roster opening day next year, I'll eat my hat. I don't see any of those guys ever start for this team.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 15, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I still laugh when I think back to all of the posters thinking he was the missing link. The posters that got upset when I questioned his accuracy. Now the almighty McNabb is endanger of getting replaced by Rex Grossman.

Those draft picks sure would have been nice right about now.

Posted by: srobert1117 | December 15, 2010 12:08 PM

missing "piece" would'a been better, and less unintentionally funny, than missing "link".

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 15, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Re: McNabb:

People want to make excuses for McNabb, about a bad, o-line, WR's, RB's and a new playbook, but for some reason those excuses weren't good enough for Campbell last year. Plenty of teams have had multiple issues like McNabb is facing yet their quarterbacks are preforming better. And it isn't just about the numbers. Look at Eli he leads the league in interceptions, yet the Giants (even in a year where 3 OL have been out, their top TE, and top 2 WR's) always have a better chance to win. Sure Eli might through some more picks, but he is also converting more 3rd downs and leading more scoring drives. McNabb is throwing picks, but doesn't have anything positive to show for it. He fails in every category: Inaccurate, Inefficient on 3rd downs, Inefficient in the red zone, takes too many sacks, throws too many interceptions... what is McNabb's upside, that he throws a deep ball? Fantastic, because that means nothing. The Redskins have basically won this year in spite of McNabb not because of him.

Posted by: Steveo11 | December 15, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's upside is that he throws for yardage (top 10 in the league) which means opposing defenses have to account for his arm - unlike certain other folks who make a living off a checkdown.

His upside is that he has pocket-awareness and can make plays on the run - unlike certain other folks who drop back and get immediately sacked if protection isn't perfect.

His downside is accuracy.

The Giants are not in the same situation we are. The Giants are not in Year 1 of their offense. The QB, coaches and players have been running that system efficiently for years.

A better example would be to look at what's going on in Arizona with Derek Anderson or Cleveland with Jake Delhomme - both veteran "pro bowl" QBs in Year 1 of a new offense with new coaches and players.

Posted by: p1funk | December 15, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Which young player do you want to see more of in the final weeks?

Terrence Austin, WR
Kevin Barnes, CB
Erik Cook, C/G
Macho Harris, S
Jeremy Jarmon, DE
Perry Riley, LB

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 1:12 PM

All of them.

Why no Capers?

Let's find out what we have with these guys.

Posted by: edvar | December 15, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 1:14 PM

Touche.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 15, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I am all for giving McNabb 1 more year. I'd rather have kept Campbell and 2 draft picks and just gone with drafting a QB this coming draft.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 15, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think McNabb has been inconsistent this year.

Grossman would be a far more consistent QB.

Consistently throwing INTs.
Consistently fumbling.
Consistently inaccurate.

Not, I believe, the kind of consistency that one would like.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 15, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Which roster will get the most hype next Spring:

a. Miami Heat

Wade, James, Bosh

b. Philadelphia Phillies

Owsalt, Lee, Halladay, Hamels

c. Redskins

Shanahan, Snyder, Allen

Moe rolls with C as Vinny Cerrato's absence will not stop the redskins from winning the Offseason Hype championship that commences sometime around Duke or some other ACC school winning that March Madness foolishness.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Rhythm Busting Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | December 15, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Hope the below helps us Sunday:

"Home record tied for worst in NFL:
The Cowboys enter their final home game of 2010 tied with Carolina for worst home record in the NFL at 1-6. This is Dallas' worst record at home since the 1989 team went 0-8.
A victory over Washington (5-8) on Sunday would keep the 4-9 Cowboys from matching the second-most home losses in franchise history."

HAIL...

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 15, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

He we are, back at that familiar part of another losing season when kickers and punters are the only thing worth writing about.
How exciting.