Punter Smith might return Sunday against Broncos

Coach Jim Zorn was expected to make a decision on the Redskins' punter situation today but says he'll instead wait until Saturday, which bodes well for Hunter Smith.

Nursing a groin injury, Smith missed last week's game in Atlanta, and the team signed Sam Paulescu, who punted three times for 150 yards against the Falcons. If Smith wasn't ready to punt again this week, the team was expected to place him on season-ending injured reserve.

But Smith punted at practice today and said afterward he felt good. If he feels the same way after a night's rest, he should be Sunday's punter.

"I'm a competitor and a professional athlete," Smith said today after practice. "I want to be on the field."

All the talk about the injured reserve has been discomforting for Smith.

"I truthfully do want to do what's right for this team and if that's somebody else, then great," he said. "But I think it's going to be me."

So if Smith feels OK Saturday, Paulescu will no longer be on the roster. The team is expected to sign Lendy Holmes off the practice squad, which will give them some depth at safety Sunday.

Zorn doesn't need to wait until Saturday to make a decision about Stephon Heyer. He'll likely be listed as questionable on the injury report, but he should be able to start at right tackle Sunday. Dealing with a knee sprain, Heyer was limited in practice Thursday but was able to participate more Friday.

"I just needed some time off," Heyer said of Thursday's practice. "Cold and rain and everything else. It was stiff, couldn't really move. Today was better, I think."

Still Zorn said the team likely will keep an extra offensive linemen active Sunday, which means that Will Montgomery, D'Anthony Batiste and Edwin Williams will all likely be active.

By Rick Maese  |  November 13, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis still feeling effects of concussion
Next: Redskins will see familiar face of Dawkins again

Comments

BREAKING NEWS

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SAID TO BE CONSIDERING NEW REALITY TELEVISION SERIES

We interrupt this commentary to bring you breaking news that...

CBS Television executives have contacted the Washington Redskins to ask about filming a new reality series in their locker room, playing fields and team offices.

According to the report, the network has been searching for another daily drama series to fill a vacant afternoon time slot since their longstanding soap opera "A Guiding Light" was pulled off the air earlier this year.

Given the popularity of the reality television and some obvious crossover marketing opportunities, Redskin officials were initially said to be very keen on the idea... and even offered up a title for the project, "As the Stomach Turns."

Team officials also suggested that Hollywood actor Tom Cruise would be perfect to play a leading role as a short, insecure and megalomaniacal team owner who is universally reviled by an entire city.

Unfortunately, the CBS programming executives later decided to revoke their offer when the team VP for football operations, Vinny “Bugeyes” Cerrato, got involved.

A network official explained that they had been hoping to work with a team liaison who isn’t a complete idiot. Unfortunately for the Redskins, they were unable to offer up any such liaison from their front office who has even an ounce of wits to work with. The network also bawked at Cerrato’s insistence that he be played by former “Sopranos” lead actor James Gandolfini.

Network officials also explained there's just too much drama and hysterics coming out of the team headquarters each day to make for a credible series, as most audiences would have a hard time believing this is how you actually run a once-proud National Football League franchise.

However, before they entirely shut down any further consideration of a potential deal, the programming execs did suggest that the team might want to put their star running back -- Clinton "Rochester" Portis -- on injured reserve already -- and get him to the surgeon for the bone spurs -- a head shrink for ear ringing and player motivation issues -- and to Dr. Phil McGraw for his docility and sterility concerns.

Network executives suggested that the team should give Portis a whole off-season to “think up new excuses why he can't play, practice, condition himself, or even help to coach up some of the younger players.”

Posted by: Vic1 | November 13, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"I just needed some time off," Heyer said of Thursday's practice. "Cold and rain and everything else."

Geez dude, are you an NFL football player, kvetching about cold & rain? I can imagine Jack Lambert saying things like this... Uh wait a minute no I can't.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 13, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"I'm a competitor and a professional athlete," Smith said today after practice. "I want to be on the field."
--------------------------------------

You don't, by any chance, have experience at left tackle, do you?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Carry 8 OL? What a revelation.

Considering they've had multiple games where 2 OL have gone out plus a game last year where 3 OL went out, why has it taken so long for these f-in geniuses to figure out that keeping 3 backup OL active for game day might be a smart thing to do.

I swear, Zorn might as well just put on the Bozo nose and floppy ears.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 13, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

>>>Coach Jim Zorn was expected to make a decision on the Redskins' punter situation today but says he'll instead wait until Saturday,

Classic.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 13, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be the one to ask the elephant in the room to grab me a beer from the grooler, but Mr. Sam Paulescu has earned himself the 2nd highest punting average in the league after 3 punts. So can someone tell me why we are we in such a hurry to bring back Hunter '6.6 fewer ypp' Smith?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn channels Ricky Ray Rector:

For his last meal, he left the pecan pie on the side of the tray, telling the guards who came to take him to the execution chamber that he was saving it "for later".

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

How dare you speak ill of a guy that's tied for the most rushing TDs on this team!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

BeanTownGreg1,

Iffin' you out there, I got a question for you. Since you were the one that always told me to just go away when I said at the beginning of the season that this Team was not in football shape, the question is:

Do you think that Clinton Portis ever got into football shape this season?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn channels Ricky Ray Rector:

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------

There are days I wish I had an auto-lobotomy.

But I'd prefer it if Danny, Vinny, & Jimmy tried it first to tell me what it's like.

Please? No, really...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

from ESPN NFC East blog:

Stephen Kogon from the great state of Maryland says that we "ain't seen nothing yet" if the Redskins retain Vinny Cerrato at the end of the season. Stephen thinks the fan base would rebel at that point.

Mosley: I spoke to Cerrato via phone this morning. In the past, I would've said that Dan Snyder would keep Cerrato around no matter how the team finishes, but I'm sensing a new level of disgust from the owner. Not specifically with Cerrato, but with the entire situation. I think he realizes that fans have lost faith in pretty much anyone in a management position. Snyder and Cerrato settled for Jim Zorn as a head coach because they ran out of other options. They looked pretty smart in the first half of the 2008 season, but they were close to firing Zorn by the end of the season. Cerrato hasn't told me this, but I think his best chance of remaining with the organization is for Snyder to hire Mike Shanahan as head coach. Cerrato and Shanahan worked together in San Francisco and have a good relationship. If any of the other big names took the job (Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren), Cerrato could find himself without a job. But the last time Snyder "fired" Cerrato, he was only in exile for a season. That was the Marty Schottenheimer regime.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Headline: "Cutler's 5 INTs doom Bears vs 49ers"

But Cutler's an awesome QB! Let's give up a couple of 1st rounders and keep ignoring the O-line.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Should be 2 deep in quality at every position. Please call Brooks Barnard, Vinny. 44.5 as a junior. 2nd team AA and ALL-ACC. Winner.

HTTR

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

larry, tell me where you've noticed that the other 52 members on this team are not in shape?? in fact point out to me where Andre Carter is not in football shape....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 13, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

twis, NO, NO, and NO...ugh...lets hope and Pray that doesn't happen.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 13, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@TWISI,

Whats disgusting is that the COACH is expected to make the decision on Vinny. Vinny has the same title as Bill Parcells in Miami, who hired a GM and a Coach underneath him.

This just speaks volumes that we would basically let the coach take over the organization. No coach can do it. Gibbs, the consumate coach, professional, hard-worker, couldn't do it.

Disgusting.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Do you think that Clinton Portis ever got into football shape this season?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Is this some kind of trick question Larry?

Here's a better one....when is the last time CP practiced the entire week?

What are you seeing on Sunday's from CP that even begs this question?

Posted by: ksquare | November 13, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

here comes the 8 game win streak, led by hunter the punter.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

** FF **

Apparently, Vinny Cerrato is in the "RI Peeps" fantasy league, as the owner of 'Team2' [I've changed the team owner names to protect them from ridicule]. This trade just went down:

Team1 traded Aaron Rodgers, GB to Team2
Team1 traded Austin Collie, Ind to Team2
Team1 traded Heath Miller, Pit to Team2

Team2 traded Tom Brady, NE to Team1
Team2 traded Larry Fitzgerald, Ari to Team1
Team2 traded Javon Ringer, Ten to Team1

** End FF **

Posted by: 4-12 | November 13, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say is that despite the lack of effort from RI today, I did not get much work done today.

Yep, I feel like a Redskin player today.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Team 1 just did Team 2 prison style....

Posted by: ksquare | November 13, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

haynesworth is kinda shaped LIKE a football

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth: We're too relaxed
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
11/12/09 6:41 PM EST

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth told Denver reporters that he's not comfortable with the culture of the locker room. Part of it stems from still learning how teammates handle things -- and then what that means as far as their performance is concerned.

Here's some of what he had to say:

On the mood of the team: "I think it's OK. It's kind of like a mixed feeling. Sometimes I'm not comfortable with how relaxed we are. Different people handle it different ways. At Tennessee if this is going on, I can tell how we're going to bounce back. If people are relaxed, it's not a good thing. This is at Tennessee. If everybody is tensed up and everything that means we're going to try to get better. Right now I can't really get the feel of the team and know exactly how we're going to bounce back."

On what he can do to help: "All I can really do is _ I stress a lot about it early in the season. I can't play 11 positions on the field or play a different position on offense or whatever. All I can do is go out there and do my job. That's all I've been looking to do."

On whether he was happier making less money: "You know what, I feel like I made a lot of money last year. Here these damn taxes are killing me. Last year it was fun with the winning. I'm glad to be on a new team and hopefully I can help this team right the ship and get back to that redskins football, that tradition they had in the past."

Boo, hoo!!!

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 13, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

It's still kind of amazing how banged up and crappy this team is and HOW LITTLE activity we've seen from the FO on bringing in new players to try out. No signings off practice squads...nothing.

Way to phone it in Vinny.

Posted by: edvar | November 13, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Is this some kind of trick question Larry?

Here's a better one....when is the last time CP practiced the entire week?

What are you seeing on Sunday's from CP that even begs this question?

Posted by: ksquare | November 13, 2009 4:45 PM

KSquare,

No it was not a trick question. It was a direct dig at BeanTownGreg1.

For at the beginning of the season when I posted that this Team was not in Football Shape, BeanTown dismissed what I said out of hand.

When you have so many players go through a soft training camp and don't fully take part in it, a tip top physically ready football Team is not what you are going to end up with.

BeanTownGreg1, however points to the overall year round physical conditioning of atheletes today as being sufficient.

To play football well and win you have to be in great Football Shape.

BeanTownGreg1 will not admit that this Team was not Football Ready so that question was a direct dig to him and he knows it and is why he responded the way he did. Read his answer.

Clinton Portis did not get into Football Shape during training camp and I am so surprised that he did not get knocked from the game before now.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Portis had almost 500 yds in 7 games, 1 fumble, the longest run of his career 78 yds...not bad for not being in "football shape" he should not get into football shape every year. Oh wait that is what he does.

Riggins now there is a guy who worked incredibly hard, oh wait no he didn't

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 4:31 PM

Anyone else find it odd that Mosley's commenting on Snyder's disgust with Cerrato after speaking WITH Cerrato?

Posted by: skinswest | November 13, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 13, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse
________________

FYI, based on my own experience with knee injuries, the cold and rain and accompanying lower air pressure bothers injured knees. I think that's probably what Heyer was talking about with this comment. His knee was pretty stiff because of the weather.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 13, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 13, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse
________________

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 13, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Riggins now there is a guy who worked incredibly hard, oh wait no he didn't

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 6:23 PM

You make a great point about Portis and Riggins, but hear is where it falls short.

When a big portion of your Team dosen't train and get into tip top Football Shape in training camp, that is not a good thing.

Riggins played on Redskins Team that put in the Football conditioning in Camp and practice that this current Redskin Team has not done for awhile.

Portis's stats this year are meaningless. He hasn't done anything.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

** FF **

Team1 traded Aaron Rodgers, GB to Team2
Team1 traded Austin Collie, Ind to Team2
Team1 traded Heath Miller, Pit to Team2

Team2 traded Tom Brady, NE to Team1
Team2 traded Larry Fitzgerald, Ari to Team1
Team2 traded Javon Ringer, Ten to Team1

** End FF **

Posted by: 4-12

As person with knowledge of that trade, its hardly the one sided thing one might surmise. First, Rodgers has outplayed Brady by a bunch, save for 1 game Brady had in the snow vs Tenn when he had a huge day. Not sure if Fitzgerald was even in the top 10 WRs until the last game he played.

Second, if you look at the rosters, one team had two slots to fill, the other team had more depth. 3 guys for 2 works in situations like this.

As for Collie and Miller, both guys have been good, are with good teams and have QBs that throw a lot. They are both averaging 10 points per game over their last 5, while Fitz is averaging 13 a game for the season, even with a monster game last week.

Fitz and Brady have much better reputations than Collie, Miller and Rodgers. ESPN said Rodgers was the FF MVP for the 1st half of the year, not Brady or Manning or Johnson or Peterson.

If you don't judge the trade by reputation, but by what the guys are actually doing, you'd see its a trade that ought to help both teams.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 13, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Portis's stats this year are meaningless. He hasn't done anything.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Riggins was also fortunate to play behind of the greatest O-lines in NFL history.

Posted by: dcwun | November 13, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Portis and Cooley have been the only bright spots on the O, these last 5 years.

The team is certainly mismanaged, it is hard to judge any skill players without a consistent system much less an O line

Even if we return to being a competitive team we may never be as good as those Gibbs no salary cap teams.

Most franchises never have a dynasty even once and no team can afford to have the quality depth players that those teams' had, cause there was no cap

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

"(Portis) came in today. He still has a little, I don't know, if it was like a ringing in his head," Zorn said. "He checked in with our trainers. We sent him back home to keep him docile, if you will. We'll get a better evaluation next week." --WASHINGTON POST

I'll bet Clinton was just CRUSHED that they wouldn't let him practice today.

Posted by: TheCork | November 13, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Classic.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

Later today Zorn clarified his decision:

"Earlier this week I said Smith would not be our starting punter. This is still true for one very good reason. Third, Pelascue, or whatever his name is, has been asked to shave several letters off his name to speed up jersey preparation. For a punter it is extremely important that he have both legs. This is why there are no fewer than any one-legged punters. This is not meant to reflect on our brave wounded Veterans, who we honor this week, but won't start."

Posted by: TheCork | November 13, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003,
I think the Redskins can have a dynasty again but it is going to take a 180 in terms of direction. Teams with a hope of having a dynasty these days build through the draft and let go of those older players when they can no longer contribute. They don't trade away draft picks; they trade to get draft picks. They don't get hooked into keeping past-their-prime players because of the impact cutting them will have on the salary cap. They don't pay one hundred million dollar contracts to any one player, let alone a player that is past his prime. They have a commitment within their organization to not only hire the best and brightest, but to also develop the better and brighter. This has to be an organization where the football people run the show and the owner is supportive of whatever they do. The first critical step for the Redskins is for the owner to acknowledge that change must happen. Then he must hire a real football person to run the show and get out of his way. The Redskins could be that team, but they are not that team right now.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 13, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

In Peeps FF this weekend, pretty much every game is big, since the entire league is separated by 3 games!! 6-3 leads the league, 3-6 is the cellar.

Among the bigger matchups, two 5-4 teams, Tampa and Alex go head to head and two 6-3 teams, Redcoat and JohnD from Houston go head to head.

In the Hamsters league, the only game between teams with winning records is me vs 4th. Fortunately for me, 4th has a couple guys with bye weeks, notably Andre Johnson.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 13, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for p-brains Portoise, if they get rid of Campbell ... Portoise will quickly become the target of every fan's ire. He will certain not want to stay. He's an average back who has been somewhat above average in the past. Unfortunately, with this team we are all used to better ... if you don't like 'Diesel Fumes' I would point you at Mr. Ernest Byner. A man known for the famous fumble. Larry Brown comes to mind ... and even Terry Allen ...

Posted by: periculum | November 13, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum

Don't let your dislike for Portis cloud the truth. The numbers don't lie and Portis is (ok maybe was) and elite RB. To say he's worst than Earnest Byner is nuts.

Posted by: dcwun | November 13, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Portis has been fun to watch. I mean, he's no Priest Holmes, but then who is?

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Portis has been fun to watch. I mean, he's no Priest Holmes, but then who is?

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

To say he's worst than Earnest Byner is nuts.

Portis has been fun to watch. I mean, he's no Priest Holmes, but then who is?

Perhaps, but at least Byner was a team player ... whereas Portoise is the true stereotypical superstar.

2003:
16 games started:

att: 320 yds: 1,420 avg: 4.4 long: 31T TDs: 27

receptions: 74 Yards: 690 avg: 9.3 long: 36

Surely we would take Priest now wouldn't we?

Posted by: periculum | November 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

things are not looking good for jim zorn. too bad, he could have been the next gibbs.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Stop blaming the O-line for everything!

Portis is done...

Campbell is an average QB, no world beater...

Gibbs ruined Portis...He changed him into a between the tackles power back, which he never was...thus the punishment and pounding.

Sorry guys...

Posted by: rickyroge | November 13, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

he could have been the next gibbs.

You mean, in that he could've purchased a NASCAR team?

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | November 13, 2009 8:18 PM

He can still be the next Joe Gibbs. He has to buy a NASCAR team.

Posted by: League-Source | November 13, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

God, I feel so redundant sometimes.

Posted by: League-Source | November 13, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

he could have been the next gibbs.

You mean, in that he could've purchased a NASCAR team?

He means, Zorn would have made a nice OC for San Diego. Now that will never happen.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

God, I feel so redundant sometimes.

Posted by: League-Source | November 13, 2009 8:27 PM

Don't feel bad, Daggar was citing a league source.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

As I say, sometimes these things just write themselves.

Although I would say that my 40-yd. dash reply "Portis won, but only because Landry took a bad angle" is classic.

And "hip hip whatever" is really growing on me.

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Stop blaming the O-line for everything!

Portis is done...

Campbell is an average QB, no world beater...

Sorry guys...

Posted by: rickyroge

The O-line IS everything when it comes to a RB. I'll take Campbell over any QB we've had in the past 15 years. Yes, that includes Brad Johnson too.

While I think Portis has lost a lttle, he is still a good RB. Injuries are starting to wear him down.

Posted by: dcwun | November 13, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack

Huh? What?

Posted by: dcwun | November 13, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Portoise
Some one been drinking? Thought I wrote that there.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Betts is limited in practice, cut him, right guys

just like Portis, Thomas, Kelly, Davis, Heyer and everyone else

your a pro football player, practice no matter what or your cut

`satire

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Shefter loves them skins!
"Upset of the week: Redskins over Broncos -- Denver, coming off a physical Monday night loss, now travels back East to play a Redskins team that showed signs of life against the Falcons in Week 9."

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 13, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

and yes, jim zorn could have been the next joe gibbs, given he had a competent management staff, with scouts, and all the necessities of a normall nfl team. gibbs 2.0 didn't have that, neither does zorn.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 13, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely believe Zorn could have been the next Joe Gibbs if only he had: 1) better plays, 2) better decision-making, 3) better discipline and 4) a clue. Suggesting Zorn could ever have been the next Joe Gibbs is kind of like suggesting Al Sharpton is going to be the next Pope.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 13, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

it's easy to blame the head coach for everything, especially when their players are terrible.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 13, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

JLC on FA available in an uncapped FA market, which it looks like to be.

Quarterbacks
Charlie Batch, Kyle Boller, Mark Brunell, David Carr, Daunte Culpepper, A.J. Feeley, Rex Grossman, Josh McCown, Chad Pennington, Chris Redman, Brian St. Pierre.

Yep, that's it. Kyle Orton would be a restricted free agent (as would Jason Campbell). Orton could get an extension from the Broncos or the high tender placed on him; Campbell will likely be available for a draft pick. There isn't a surefire elite No. 2 QB on that list, much less a starter.

----------------------------------

As I mentioned b4. It's imperative that the skins get someone in who will be skilled in getting the proper value for JC if the team wants to move on without him. The skins should be able to get back the eir 3rd pick and maybe a conditional the following year. Of course, it might make more sense to keep JC at the tendered RFA price tag, because as we see, the would HAVE to draft a QB. Having to draft a QB may lead to reaching for a player.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Tackles
Starting tackles get paid, but this bunch includes mostly guys who were already on the street looking for jobs last season and into this season, with Chad Clifton (suffering through an injury-plagued season) the lone real exception.

Chad Clifton, Mike Gandy, Brandon Gorin, Cornell Green, Artis Hicks, Jon Jansen, Levi Jones, Scott Kooistra, Damion McIntosh, Tony Pashos, Ephraim Salaam, Barry Sims, Mark Tauscher, Langston Walker, Mike Williams.

Guards
What if interior linemen are more your thing? Okay, here's all the guards and centers. Again, hard to find someone you can count on to be a solid starter at this point. Kevin Mawae is the stud of the bunch, but he's 38.

Eugene Amano, Jeremy Bridges, Damion Cook, Kynan Forney, Rex Hadnot, Ben Hamilton, Russ Hochstein, Montrae Holland, Stephen Neal, Chester Pitts, Tutan Reyes, Ryan Tucker, Keydrick Vincent, Bobbie Williams, Billy Yates.

Centers
Nick Leckey, Kevin Mawae, Seth McKinney, Dennis Norman, Wade Smith, John Wade.

-------------------------------------

And looking at the list of potential OLmen, I'd say drafting OLmen would be the prudent thing to do. Of course, as JLC mentioned, teams may release under-performing high priced players into the FA market, but is that the best option? We shall see.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is a bad as s warrior and is the best QB we've had since Brad Johnson.

We probably need a QB next year as I imagine Collins will retire.

But whoever is here next year should have to beat Campbell out to get the job.

Our coach will probably someone who is currently on the staff, most likely Zorn, Lewis, Smith, Gray. I can't see any credible coach going into an agreement with Snyd-rrato

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

twisi, I couldn't help but notice Jon Jansen, Levi Jones, and Jeremy Bridges

son of a....

Bridges is the one that got away

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Vic1:

Priceless!!!! Fall down funny. LOL!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 13, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

How did Bridges get away? He was cut by Bugel who apparently felt he was not playing/practicing as well as the other backups.

Posted by: lifelongfan | November 13, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lifelongfan

good question, he stood out in the last pre-season game, and was immediately picked up by russ grimm and the Cards, we kept marcus mason, i'm going to go vomit now

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | November 13, 2009 8:18 P

BMACattack = ZEROCredibility. Seriously. Dumb.

Posted by: brianearman | November 13, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

What the FA OL list tells me is that in an uncapped year, barring a serviceable vet being cut,it'll be best to improve the line by the draft this year. All things considered, I wouldn't let JC walk without at least getting at least a third round draft pick. That way, the skins could draft a QB in the first, and grab a LT in the second, and a RT/RG in the third. They could then look at RB in the 4th, and address ST or defensive needs with the other picks. Al

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

First thing that needs to happen, as some have mentioned, is to start to raid practice squads for OL and maybe even SLB. This should start in the next two weeks.

Although the FA OL does not look very good at this point, my guess is that due to an uncapped year the Skins will not be the only team getting rid of monster contracts, so there should be a few good OL FAs available. Sign some of them as well as looking at some LBs, DBs and RBs.

Do not draft any QBs next year. Use the 1st on LT and the 2nd on RB, LB or OL depending on how FA goes. OL in 4th and then go with BPA (Morocco Brown is scouting the latter rd talent) for players that can help on ST right away.

What would really be nice is if Vinny would be replaced sooner rather than later so that the new GM can start to evaluate the talent that is currently on the team.

JC, if kept, would then compete for the QB job with Colt, Woodson, Collins and any FA QBs brought in during the offseason.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Got around to reading of JLC's column. Here's a little of what he had to say about the skins:

» It's hard to watch the Redskins and not come away startled by how their top draft picks have regressed. Jason Campbell was excellent in the first eight games of 2008 (or at least a thriving young player) and he badly needs a change of scenery now (no offensive line will do that to you). LaRon Landry is the master of the late hit, but wrapping people up and making plays in coverage remain big issues for him. They’re dabbling with moving him to the strong side, a more natural fit, but his technique issues are very real (the departure of Gregg Williams, who worked very closely with him as he did with Sean Taylor, has affected his play). Carlos Rogers' used to look like a solid cover corner, albeit it one with bad hands, but he's been lost since DeAngelo Hall came on the scene. Those are crucial first-round picks in recent years who are all suffering, and part of the reason why things are so bleak there. ...

------------------------------

The skins are of need of a serious upgrade within the coaching ranks now that Blache, who was the only one putting in some work, has checked out for the rest of the season.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:17 PM |

That's why I like the fact that Rhino is getting a chance to start this week and hopefully going forward. That's why Marko needs to play more. The future coaching staff need the game films to see what these players have.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

If dreams could come true, Tony Dungy would be hired as President of Football Operation and be given complete control of the Redskins. He would then hire the GM and together hire a HC based on a sound philosophy on what type of football the Skins will play. Next would be to round out the coaching staff, again based on this philosophy.

Since Tony Dungy is not available, Dano needs to hire a great football mind for that position (PFO).

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:17 PM

I like this strategy, but I think Danny wants a QB in the 1st round. Hopefully a more reasoned head would prevail.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:25 PM

Some one mentioned Casserly before. If that's the case, and if he deems JC a better option here than not, then theWCOin DC will be no more. He hates JC in the WCO.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

JLC is 100% correct on the state of the Redskins. It is obvious from watching the Skins play that coaching is having the opposite effect on the players.

All coaches need to be let go at the end of the year and only brought back if the new GM and HC deem them necessary.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:26 PM

My recommendations only work if Dan takes himself completely out of the football decisions once he hires the PFO. Otherwise its lather, rinse and repeat.

He needs to understand that thanks to an uncapped year, now is the time to build this team right. IMO, this could be done in two seasons.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

He hates JC in the WCO.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:30 PM

Regardless of what some think, JC is not a WCO QB. If you are going to keep him, he needs to be used the way Brady is used. From the shotgun.

Irregardless of how many systems JC has been through, he has only had one good year in college and the pros combined. If he is not put in the right system, this will still be true after next year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:38 PM

Curzon417 Maybe it's all the alcohol I've consumed, but I'm agreeing with nuch of what you're proposing. I think JC can be effective in a power offense such as the Ravens. I'm hoping the skins don't allow him to walk w/o getting something in return.

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

In the words of the "Great Forrest Gump"...."stupid is what stupid does"....it's Zorn's fault, the skins refuse to play some rookies on a regular basis in their first year. They wait until their 2nd year to give them a shot and then wonder why they are struggling. Most teams will play their rookies and reap the benefits during their 2nd year. But not the stupid a$$ skins.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 13, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

JLa is correct in his core point.

It has been painful to watch the talent here regress, or fail to develop. That is so much on the coaches.

Campbell is not a better QB for having been thru Zorn's tutoring. We saw that he can play well last year, but we haven't seen him improve this year. His first half this year was no better than his second half last year, given the difference in the competition, that is very disappointing. Its impossible to know if any of the young OL have been coached up, since none of them are performing at a decent level. The 2nd round WRs have been busts to date and the 2nd round TE still can't block, despite his size and lots of time to learn.

On defense, the secondary is hugely underachieving. Rogers and Horton have regressed, Landry has regressed more than anyone. Hall seems to think his contract doesn't include tackling. Well, little Darrell Green wasn't a great tackler, but he worked hard to be a better tackler than what you'd expect from a 5'8" guy. And he took pride in making tackles, not just defending passes and making plays.

This is mostly on the coaches. Its hard to find any coach, even Buges, who should feel safe in their job.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 13, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 13, 2009 11:56 PM |

I think Buges has done the most with the least amount of talent on the team. I do think it's time to move on from him. The coaching staff needs an overhauling.

Posted by: TWISI | November 14, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

=========================

Yeah, that's how I get my wife to agree with me too. A little tequila, a new set of golf clubs.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 14, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

again, guys, it's so easy to blame the coaches. here's the thing, anything daniel snyder does, extensively, through vinny cerrato, who is just a tool, ultimately undermines anything any coach is doing in the redskins locker room. it's the coaches, it's the coaches. jim zorn is a damn good coach, stump mitchell is a damn good coach. blache, jerry gray, sherm lewis, ALL GREAT COACHES. we can sit here and blame the coaches all day long, but in the end, you gotta think, this bozo is making 4-7 millions dollars a year, and he can't even make tackles? come on man, that's ridiculous, just like all of the comments on this blog, including my own. jim zorn COULD HAVE been the next joe gibbs. hindsight is always 20/20 though ladies and gentlemen.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 14, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

With the Skins playing the Broncos on Sunday, and since the Broncos are always on TV out here, the Skins will be televised by CBS.

With how they've played so far this year, can't decide if this is a good thing.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 14, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

and btw, if you think credibility matters, you're an idiot. just read anything from jason la canfora.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 14, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

BMAC, please tell me, what evidence do you have that zorn is a good coach. In all of his years of coaching what has he shown? One good year for Tim Hasselbeck?

Zorn blows and the right thing to do is clear all of them out after the season.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 14, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

i have no evidence, i'm stating opinion. even if i did have evidence it wouldn't matter, since i am neither a reporter or someone who is concerned with evidence. nor, do i proofread my posts I DON'T CARE. what dan snyder should is stop getting conned by vinny cerrato into thinking that vinny know's what he is doing. just stop it, cerrato is a loser. keep the coach, keep the system, hire a gm that knows what he's doing (holmgren), draft in the trenches, cut the check, sit down and shut the f up.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 14, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

BMACattack when Jerry Gray say, um in retrospect maybe working on tackling after the is a good idea, I wouldn't call what they are doing good coaching. How many times this year have we heard that the team had a good week of practice, only for them to lay a egg on Sundays. This coaching staff has not held these players accountable for their play. To that effect, they have played progressively soft and undisciplined; Falcons 1st half being the low point. Hopefully Buges' speech during the past game helped change course, but the skins to date have not been well coached.

Posted by: TWISI | November 14, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Whatever! I have better things planned like raking leaves, cleaning the garage and basement than watching the redskins lose another one.

Posted by: ahashburn | November 14, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ahashburn | November 14, 2009 6:26 AM

You're just the man I'm looking for: a day laborer. I can pay $8.50 an hour for that work, so that I can watch the Redskins game.

Please list two references who can vouch for your honesty and reliability. Can you provide your own transportation, or do you need me to pick you up at Metro?

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I would like to go back to the Cutler vs Campbell rant... As I have said all year and for the past two years... Be careful what you wish for. If the Ravens can win a SuperBowl with Dilfer, we can with Campbell. The QB is NOT the reason we aren't winning. It is all the pieces around him. Campbell needs to be back next year. We can draft a QB, but let Soups hold the reigns until that "Franchise QB" jumps off the apple cart!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 14, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

hold the reigns until that "Franchise QB" jumps off the apple cart!

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 14, 2009 8:35 AM

Wow. Somehow, I can't quite picture it: "holding the reigns" until a franchise QB "jumps off the apple cart." Is there a video on youtube that illustrates it? Is this how the good teams build--not through the draft or free agency but the apple cart?

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

weep weep

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Be a man and rake your own leaves

Posted by: hessone | November 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Riggins now there is a guy who worked incredibly hard, oh wait no he didn't

Posted by: pabrian2003

Are you kidding me? Go youtube some Riggo highlights and tell me Riggo didn't work hard. He knew how to finish a run. Not like these backs today that will run out of bounds instead of taking a hit.

Posted by: hessone | November 14, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse