Punter? We Don't Need No Stinking Punter

Alright, just got back from practice and it's Hall and Frostie out there, and no one else. No new bodies in camp.
Here's what I got on other guys. Novak is kicking well in Arizona's camp, but would they really keep Rackers and Novak? We'll see.

Been making calls on Gramatica and Edinger for a while now,. and last I heard neither had gotten a call from the Skins. Andy Groom got a look last year, and if the Rams cut him, I could see Danny Smith giving him a call. Gibbs has been offering his least ardent defenses of Frost yet in the last few days, and I know they have been in contact with some agents for kicker/punters.

This year is different because the big cuts don't come until after the final exhibition game, which means a lot of guys who will be on the street in a few days are still in camp now. Big cuts are next Tuesday and they may have to wait until then to do anything. Of course, then there's no preseason games to have the guys compete in, either.

I could still see the Skins going into the season with these two - yikes! - given how much support the coaches have expressed in them. But if it was up, there would have been at least another veteran punter in kicker in town at the start of camp.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 28, 2006; 5:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Get Well Soon, Don
Next: Free Nick Novak

Comments

I don't want to question a coach with three rings too much, but I think it would have only made sense to bring in competition for the kicking and punting duties. Seems logical. I'm still not sure why he let these two guys feel secure in their jobs.

Remember when the Skins raided the Jets a few years ago. Looks like only Randy Thomas has worked out. Can't say I don't blame the Jets for not resigning LC, Hall and Chad Morton. Although, they did trade for LC, so shame on them.

Posted by: Colin | August 28, 2006 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about Hall, but how can this team still have Frost on the roster? This isn't high school, there is no excuse for an NFL punter to routinely shank his punts. If he's got a mental issue, frankly its gone on too long to expect him to come around. Time to say goodbye.

Posted by: Uncle Bob | August 28, 2006 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Novak got cut by the Cards today. He made a 50 yarder on Friday night outdoors in Chicago. When was the last time John Hall made a 50-yarder?

Posted by: PeteinAZ | August 28, 2006 7:57 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

What about Dorsch from The NYG? He looked ok as far as I could tell. Give him a ring and see if he's heard from the Danny (Smith).

Posted by: TB | August 28, 2006 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see what Gibbs sees in these two Frost and Hall need to go! Bring on Novak and a punter that can at least punt the ball like Mike Bragg used to. I believe Brooks barnard is available to replace Frost.

Posted by: Lee | August 28, 2006 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Uncle Bob? Uncle Bob, is that you? Uncle Bob, I thought you weren't... with us any more... you always were intolerant of the mentally unbalanced and you never could play that thing! Where have you been, Uncle Bob? I still have the Swiss Army Knife you gave me for my Bar Mitzvah 26 years ago!

Posted by: Matt Goldenfried | August 28, 2006 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the final cuts are on Saturday, so a potential replacement could have a full week to practice before the game.

Also, the Skins can't contact Novak until 24 hours after he gets waived. All of the other teams have the right to put a claim in on him . If more than one team does he'll go to the team with the worst '05 record, so the Skins may not have a shot at him.

Posted by: Rich Tandler | August 29, 2006 7:19 AM | Report abuse