Q&A with Jammal Brown

Jammal Brown, the newest Redskin, boarded a plane and left Washington earlier today. Before he departed, Brown did give us a brief interview and cleared up a few of the questions that might have popped up since the Redskins acquired him via trade with New Orleans Saturday.

First the highlights: Brown says he'll be slotted at right tackle in Washington, he says he's 100 percent healthy and after a year spent on injured reserve, he can't wait to return to the football field. Here's more:

Question: The Redskins have been looking at you all offseason. What was your reaction when the deal finally went down Saturday?
Brown: "I've been wanting this to happen for the past couple of months, but we just had to let everything play out, let the draft get done, let everything settle where it needs to settle. I talked to my agent earlier this week. He told me we were going to go for the big punch now. We went for it, and now I'm a Redskin. I couldn't be in a better situation."

Question: What about this situation seems ideal for you?
Brown: "I just think coming here, playing for Coach [Mike] Shanahan -- I watched him in Denver -- I like the scheme of offense that he runs. The zones, things like that. I'm gonna come in; they want me to play right tackle.I still think I'm a left tackle, but I'm going to do what they want me to do. I know they got my college teammate Trent [Williams] on the left side. We'll see how that all plays out. But I'm going to play wherever they want me to play. I'm just excited to be here and to be a part of a first-class program."

Question: You feel the Redskins' zone-blocking scheme favors a quick, athletic lineman like you?
Brown: "That's exactly it. If you look back at the Denver lines, they didn't have the biggest lines. Me and Trent aren't the biggest tackles. So we understand the concept of getting on the angle, getting off the ball, creating gaps for running backs to be able to run through. When Coach Shanahan was in Denver, no matter who he had in the backfield, they were good. They got their 1,000 yards. So any time, as an O-linemen, you see that, you know it's a good scheme and you want to be a part of it."

Question: You played your last three seasons in New Orleans at left tackle. What's the difference going back to the right side, where you played your rookie season?
Brown: "It's just going through everything -- the whole thought process, getting your body back to leveraging out the right way you want it to; it's a different side, so you have to distribute your weight different. So I just got to get used to that. It won't be a big deal. I started at right tackle, I made Pro Bowls at left tackle, so I can play wherever they want me to play."

Question: You didn't sign your tender with the Saints and didn't work out with them in New Orleans. What have you been doing, and what kind of shape are you in?
Brown: "Just working out. Just doing stuff on my own. Back at my old college and whatnot. I was just waiting for the right time for my agent to make this happen. I feel I'm in great shape right now."

Question: Jim Haslett is obviously the Redskins' defensive coordinator and he drafted you into the NFL. Good to be reunited with him?
Brown: "I just talked to Haslett when I got here yesterday. He picked me down in New Orleans, had me start for him, did a good job, so good to be back around him again."

Question: How are you going to look back on your time in New Orleans?
Brown: "Of course I wanted to play, be a part of the Super Bowl. They're a great team. I got a lot of friends down there. But it's business, baby, it's time to move on and get a Super Bowl here in Washington, D.C."

Question: Do you know any of the Redskins linemen, besides Trent Williams?
Brown: "No, none at all. From what I hear, it's a good set of guys. I haven't played football in a whole year, I'm just excited to get out there and just get with it. That's what I do. I play football and that's what I'm good at. I just want to go out there and play again."

Question: And your health -- you feel 100 percent?
Brown: Yeah. I saw Dr. [James] Andrews, he checked me out, looked good. The Redskins doctors looked at me, looked good. So everything is good."

Question: How bad were the injuries?
Brown: "Well, right before I had the surgery, I played the whole year with a torn labrum. That was the last year I played, when I made the Pro Bowl (2008). I had a torn labrum and a sports hernia. The next year came, I was practicing and in the preseason, my whole left side went numb. I went and had the surgery. I recovered from that pretty well. I could've played in the playoffs last year for New Orleans. But we didn't know how long it was gonna take, so they put me on IR."

Question: In your season off, the Saints found someone else to play left tackle. Do you feel like people have forgotten about you a little bit?
Brown: "If they have, I can easily remind them this upcoming year. They won't forget about me for long."

By Rick Maese  |  June 20, 2010; 1:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins acquire Ramzee Robinson off waivers from Browns
Next: Tight ends can do it all, coach says

Comments

So we suspect that Donovan McNabb to make known quickly and clearly, but hopefully discreetly, his desire to avoid another situation of that nature, lobbying for the team to get rid of Haynesworth before he can screw up the interests of a team that has a chance to compete right away in the relatively wide-open NFC East.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 20, 2010 11:51 AM

There's no pressing need to resolve this today or even before the start of the regular season. Time works to the Redskins' advantage, not to Haynesworth's. The longer we wait, the better off we are, the worse off Haynesworth is as fines accrue.

Haynesworth's power to "screw up the interests" of the Redskins is zero, given that no one on the team is on his side in this one. T.O./McNabb was a different story.

Posted by: greenback | June 20, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"How bad were the injuries?"
Brown: "Well, right before I had the surgery, I played the whole year with a torn labrum. That was the last year I played, when I made the Pro Bowl (2008"

He made the freakin pro bowl on a torn labrum! Now that's a hog!

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand people being negative about the Jammal Brown move. He was injured one year and was excellent the other years.

How many Pro Bowls has the Redskins had the last three years?

The Shanallen team has mixed FA signings, with trades and draft picks to change the team in one year.

After the coaching change I was thinking 6-8 wins the first year, with the McNabb move I upped that to 7-9. Now with the rebuilt o-line, I'm thinking 8-10 wins.

I may be drinking the Kool-Aid, but we have brought in younger players (outside of McNabb) and the roster is much better than last year.

We also have a coaching staff that know what they are doing on both sides of the ball.

Looking forward to camp starting next month.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

First time post, long time reader....I agree with the 8-10 wins. Now lets just move Fatty McButterpants (AH) for whatever we can get for that thief.

Posted by: ludlam33 | June 20, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Jamaal says "I talked to my agent earlier this week. He told me we were going to go for the big punch now. We went for it, and now I'm a Redskin. I couldn't be in a better situation."

Translation: I'm about to sign a contract that's going to be so lucrative and one-sided that I won't even be able to believe it. And, if in a year's time, I find out that I've got myself in a bad situation, I just won't show up. I'm pretty sure the Redskin lawyers still don't know how to write a contract that protects them, and I'm more than happy to sit at home and get paid.

Posted by: d-35 | June 20, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa

There is no reason to be negative. There is no down side to the trade. However people underestimating the seriousness of a torn hip labrum. I have to imagine that a torn Hip Labrum is not easy to fully recover from when you are a 300lb+ linemen.

There is a reason why the Saints gave him away for nothing.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 20, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Now, on Father's Day, the Redskins have announced the arrival of cornerback Ramzee Robinson, whom they acquired on waivers from the Browns.

The Redskins also announced the release of defensive lineman Greg Peterson and cornerback Melvin Stephenson.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 20, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: d-35 | June 20, 2010 1:19 PM

Guess you haven't been paying any attention to anyone other than Mr. Buttersworth. Hasn't been working out that way around here as of late.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 20, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"But I'm going to play wherever they want me to play."

Wow that's refreshing to hear right now

Posted by: tsaxsteve | June 20, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"But I'm going to play wherever they want me to play. I'm just excited to be here and to be a part of a first-class program."

Nothing more to be said...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Now lets just move Fatty McButterpants (AH) for whatever we can get for that thief."

Posted by: ludlam33

I completely disagree. The redskins should not trade Haynesworth. This is where we see the difference between Josh McDaniels and Coach Shanahan. McDaniels would get rid of Haynesworth for a 4th or 3rd rounder. That is so dumb. A 4th round pick is what? A back up linebacker (i.e Perry Riley). And a 3rd round pick is what exactly? A back up offensive guard (i.e Chad Rhinehart). What Shanahan will do is tell fat Albert that the redskins have the control in this situation and let it be known that they are not going to trade him until they receive the compensations they feel is right. Tell fat al that if he wants to be traded he is going to play nose tackle and play it well to improve his value and get out of town. And if he decides to hold out then the redskins can just fine broke until they get their money back. Either way fat al has no control over the situation and the redskins are the ones in control because they own him for the next six years! Hail!

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 20, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

uh...WOW....been busy with life the past few days. opened the sports page to see we got jamal brown for a song! freakin' awesome! now the OL seems pretty solid, with a chance of being really really good. jamal brown - that's a serious upgrade. wow.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 20, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

We are f'n straight now! Shanny is da bomb baby!

Posted by: Salinas1 | June 20, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

PAGING MISTER FAT SELFISH F@#K. Learn to be a pro from this kid... And I dont care if he comes in stays healthy and signs a lucrative deal. The Skins put the cards on the table and he understands. Sorry Fat Al, are yu shocked that in the NFL you signed and the team changed coaching staffs??? Yeah. that never happens... ESPECIALLY with the Skins???! If you wanted continuity you shoulda signed with the Steelers or Titans. Oh wait, one is a 3-4 and the other had no interest in matching. F'ing Cry baby...

Posted by: Club320 | June 20, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | June 20, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: d-35

No d-35, not bruce allen.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Seems to me that you'd want to play the guy with multiple pro bowls at LT and the rook at RT."

The great thing is that both can play either side. I'm confident that they will figure that out.

The most important thing is Shanny and Allen are bringing in QUALITY guys who have a burning desire to play.

As far as Haynesworth is concerned, dude can rot at home for all I care. Either way, he won't be a Redskin in 2010/11.

I hope they send him to the Raiders when this all blows out.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 20, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

My favorite line:

""If they have, I can easily remind them this upcoming year. They won't forget about me for long."

Oh yeah, this guy is gonna ball balls out.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 20, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We are f'n straight now! Shanny is da bomb baby!

Take it easy Clinton. What's on paper and what takes place on the field are two different things most of the time. More of the same.

Posted by: hessone | June 20, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

We are f'n straight now! Shanny is da bomb baby!

Posted by: hessone | June 20, 2010 2:17 PM
It makes me wish Jason Campbell were still here. That has been the hugest blunder this offseason!

Posted by: Risa_L | June 20, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

How refreshing is it to hear him say that he would rather play left tackle, but he's happy to go at right tackle for now and see how it plays out? Hello Albert, take a lesson from a pro... play where they tell you to play and earn the position you want to play.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | June 20, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Meanies, Syderrato and Shanallen don't deserve a winner after the way they treated Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Risa_L | June 20, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Risa_L

If Jason Campbell were still here he'd get nervous that he couldn't blame the o-line anymore. He'd panic and then tell reporters that he would be a better qb if the running backs weren't so old, if the running game was better, if all of the recievers were pro bowlers, etc... either way I'm sure he'd think of something

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

There is a reason why the Saints gave him away for nothing.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 20, 2010 1:20 PM
___________________________________________

Depending on the severity of the terar, a torn hip labrum really isn't that serious. I've got two right now, and they are pretty manageable with anti-inflammatories. At some point I'll get the arthroscopic surgery to clean it up. I play basketball & football regularly, but to your point, I'm not close to 300 bills! Now the sports hernia, that's an entirely different beast.

Posted by: wisdom80 | June 20, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell Loundon Fletcher he sucks because he still hasn't been elected to the pro bowl. You $nyder supporters are helpless. Jammal Brown has the same work ethic as Stompworth, the guy you've been trashing for days now.

Posted by: hessone | June 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Risa_L | June 20, 2010 2:30 PM

The NFL has an objective system to determine who "deserves" a winner. They play 16 games, starting every September.

Posted by: greenback | June 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Risa_L
Snyder is no longer directly involved with making player and coaching decisions. Ceratto is gone so saying they don't deserve a winner doesn't make sense because they aren't in line for any credit for winning anymore.
Why would you blame shanallen for losing Champbell? They didn't pick him... he wasn't right for what they wanted.
They aren't meanies, they have to make tough decisions.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I completely disagree. The redskins should not trade Haynesworth.
Posted by nfcBEaST

Im not sure. If we can get Haynesworth to play to his potential, or even fairly close to it, then maybe. My guess is that he will never be of any benefit to the redskins, and perhaps will never be of any benefit to any team.
He is a fantastically physically-gifted athlete but will never be worth a sh't as a player unless you are dangling something he wants in front of him.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"... they want me to play right tackle.I still think I'm a left tackle, but I'm going to do what they want me to do."--JAMMAL BROWN

Hey kid, with an attitude like that you'll never see a $100 million payday. Enough of this "Team" crap. It's all about YOU babe...

Ooops, sorry, I've been channeling Fat Albert. Never mind.

Posted by: TheCork | June 20, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I completely disagree. The redskins should not trade Haynesworth.
Posted by nfcBEaST

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

box of ho ho's baby!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@scampbell1975

Perfect

Posted by: hessone | June 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa

There is a reason why the Saints gave him away for nothing.
__________________________________
Who said it was a hip labrum? There is a labrum in the Glenohumoral joint. Similar to the hip's ball and socket joints. Ocho Cinco played with this injury and I dont know if he ever had surgery on it.
_______________
This was a phenomenal trade. Now only if we could pick up Flozell. We would instantly become playoff contenders.
We would literally run the NFC East screw the pASSIng game.
________________
AH -- that POS -- We should let him rot for a season and he would almost surely eat himself out of this league like BMW did. But noone would take a chance on a guy with attitude problems that can no longer be motivated by money.

Posted by: lsx981 | June 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I am seeing many little (and big) things that show me that the new FO under Allen is quite shrewd. I'm convinced that the big fat lemon that is Hanesworth is already being brewed into some lemonade. Fat Albert WILL get what he wants. It's not about him anymore. He is now a tool to get something bigger, that being major concessions from the NFLPA. The Skins will trade AH just before training camp for whatever they can get. If they can't trade him, they will wait to see if he shows up for camp (which I believe he will). If he does show up, they will cut him the first day, without even giving him a physical. If he doesn't show up, they will fine and suspend him, forcing the NFLPA to have to defend him. I can give good reasons for all of this, but it would make for a VERY long post.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 20, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If Dr. James Andrews got hit by a bus today, who would step up as king athlete doctor?

Posted by: Tank2 | June 20, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

He is very injury prone and a baby, ala Albert-lite....have fun with him

Posted by: Bious | June 20, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tank2 | June 20, 2010 3:50 PM |

The doctor who fixes Dr. James Andrews will be king.

Posted by: greenback | June 20, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Stay cool, guys, about Haynesworth. He may play, he may be traded, he may sulk, who's to say. Unless someone offers a great trade, the next act starts in late July. He holds some cards, but so do we. I'm guessing that this one will take some twists and turns that we haven't yet imagined.

Great pick-up on Jammal Brown. I think's he's motivated and will be effective. No reason to tie his work ethic to Haynesworth, absolutely no evidence of it. Also, he's smart enough to figure out all the lines to establish that he is the opposite of Haynesworth.

Pro's like working with Pro's, regardless of the field. Shanahan is a pro. Brown is a pro. Haynesworth isn't a pro.

Posted by: StevenGrossman | June 20, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

About the torn hip labrum vs the sports hernia: it's difficult to tell the difference, which is why players sometimes get diagnosed with both. Labrum tears produce a diffuse pain that's hard to pinpoint. I wasn't able to find much on Brown's case but it sounds like he had an arthroscopic procedure, relatively new with hip injuries. He's also had periodic problems with both knees beginning in college. It may like he says, he'd done extra damage by playing the entire '08 season on the injured hip, and that's why he lost a whole season.

IMO the important thing is that the Skins now have three healthy tackles (yep, I'm including Heyer) and one talented swingman in Hicks. I know I feel better.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 20, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

We have'nt been able to run to the right side in about 3 year's thank! God for this trade. and to the hater's of this trade hail!!!!

Posted by: dakel76 | June 20, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Somebody may already have mentioned this, but there is a vid on NFL.com of Jon Jansen's thoughts on the AH situation.

Posted by: craig81 | June 20, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you nfcBEaST A 100% What are some these people thinking trade AH are these people crazy he will come around and will play like a beast, he puts the defense over the top bar none.MR noonefromtampa 8-10 you must be in the kool aid to much no less 11-7 I have a bother who lives in Tampa a big redskin fan like me and he saids 12-6

Posted by: rdbdaddy | June 20, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rdbdaddy | June 20, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"MR noonefromtampa 8-10 you must be in the kool aid to much no less 11-7 I have a bother who lives in Tampa a big redskin fan like me and he saids 12-6."

Umm, they haven't changed the amount of games yet to 18. :P

You must be Fat Al's accountant. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 20, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

They aren't meanies, they have to make tough decisions.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 3:04 PM
I disagree with you. I agree with hessone. Nothing will change under Dan. Vinny was a scapegoat.

Posted by: Risa_L | June 20, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

box of ho ho's baby!

Posted by: scampbell1975

heheheh. Yeah, we could tie one to the end of a stick and attach the other end to the top of his helmet. It might work, however, we should still keep in mind that 32 million dollars buys a lot of hoho's for after practice.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tank2 | June 20, 2010 3:50 PM |

The doctor who fixes Dr. James Andrews will be king.

Posted by: greenback | June 20, 2010 4:02 PM

What if it's a woman? *shudder*

AH92 isn't a part of the team anymore. He may be on the roster, but that's as far as it goes. None of the players have his back. If they can't get rid of Fat Albert they should just set him off to the side, don't let him practice with the rest of the team, just hire some random guy to tell him to do more sprint drills (I'll do it for free), put him on inactive for every game, don't bring him to the sidelines, and if he stops showing up fine him.

Posted by: Keiser | June 20, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | June 20, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Risa_L
Risa L, I don't think you understand how bad it would have been for JC to stay here. Shanny made a tough choice but the right one.

Really, how could you possibly condemn Shanallen for doing was best for the team under their system?

JC17 wasn't their guy. They brought in a WC offense QB and found JC a place where he will have a better chance to be successful. They had a great opportunity to pick-up an excellent QB for their system in DM5, and they took it. If they wouldn't have done it then they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Here JC would have been attacked constantly by fans, media, et al.,for under-performing because he wouldn't have been a good fit in the offense he would have been playing in.

The ghost of JC17 haunts us still...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Shanahan is a pro. Brown is a pro. Haynesworth isn't a pro.Posted by: StevenGrossman"

Oh, I think Albert's very definitely a pro. He never forgets he's playing for $$,

Posted by: Samson151 | June 20, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

HA ha...

Posted by: will_ga

That is really interesting. The twists and turns involved in free-agency/trades I guess are often unseen.

I am not sure I totally buy the idea that the cowb'tches were competing for, or bidding-up the price for, Jamal Brown but it's possible.

DM5 will brutalize the iggles in their second game against the skins this year.

Book it!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dakel76 | June 20, 2010 4:41 PM |

Word up. As one prescient previous poster pointed out, there should now be plenty of open space for CP to get his walker through.

Posted by: DLoad | June 20, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 20, 2010 5:27 PM |

Some would say he never forgets he's playing for a 4-3, not a 3-4.

Posted by: DLoad | June 20, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 5:24 PM |

Wouldn't have? A strange verb tense to use when you consider that it had been going on for the last three years.

Posted by: DLoad | June 20, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tank2 | June 20, 2010 3:50 PM |

Whoever does Andrews' work now. He is too old to still be practicing but they trot him out for face time whenever it is needed.

Posted by: DLoad | June 20, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 5:24 PM |

Posted by: DLoad

I feel ya. I meant though, under shanahan's offense-the guy who traded him.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

There is a reason why the Saints gave him away for nothing.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 20, 2010 1:20 PM |

And mebbe a reason no other team tried to outbid the Skins for him. I tend to agree that one should be cautious about getting giddy over what one thinks is a real steal.

Posted by: DLoad | June 20, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
What's that? An offensive lineman with attitude? It has been a while since we saw that.

As for the Ramzee Robinson signing: he has all of the athletic ability of Leigh Torrence, the anonymity of Marko Mitchell, and the alarm clock of Fred Davis.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 20, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have some background on how it looks like the contract negotiations with mcnabb and brown will go down?

I know there is a moratorium on signing players soon after they have been traded, but I wonder if there is a break-down of how next year's potential for no NFL games, tags, compensatory picks,performance, individual players' positions and personal inclinations on signing, contract types (long or short term) etc., will affect our ability to keep our newly purchased players.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 20, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

The old Skins under Snyder: Why did we have to give up such high round draft choices for this guy? No one else would pay such a ridiculous price.

The 2010 Skins: How did we get away with giving up such a low-round pick for this guy? What's the catch?

Posted by: EdDC | June 20, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Not all that excited, not sure why. I guess I'm skeptical of quick fixes, I've been around for too long.

F Albert -- Keep Albert

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 20, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Two quotes stand out:

"I'm gonna come in; they want me to play right tackle.I still think I'm a left tackle, but I'm going to do what they want me to do. I know they got my college teammate Trent [Williams] on the left side. We'll see how that all plays out. But I'm going to play wherever they want me to play. I'm just excited to be here and to be a part of a first-class program."

Refreshing to hear in the wake of the Haynesworth tantrum.

Asked if he feels like folks have forgotten about him, Brown said, "If they have, I can easily remind them this upcoming year. They won't forget about me for long."

Pro-Bowl talent with a chip on his shoulder...nice.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 20, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Pepper5,

I totally understand your point of view. Many of us will get excited when the Skins start collecting extra draft picks, rather than trading them away. We do want to see a trend to add picks, so that the team will genuinely build towards a championship.

Nonetheless, this year's short term fixes seem far better than most years' short term fixes, so that is a good sign.

Posted by: EdDC | June 20, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Comfortable multi-probowler that plays left tackle should play left tackle. High drafted rookie that has played right tackle every year but one should play right tackle only if he's good enough. But a inflexible superior is a inflexible superior.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | June 20, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Larry Johnson is licking his chops with this new offensive line that has been assembled. Portis is done.

Posted by: isnadd | June 20, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone happy yet? I am.

Pro Bowl tackle that can play both spots, what's the problem.

I'll have to enter this into my super secret f*cking football formula and see how it changes my 11-5 prediction.

Hold Please........................................................................................... 12-4

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 20, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Thinking about Aintworth and what could be motivating him. I just don't buy the 3-4 thing. I think he could be looking for another payday. If the Skins decide to cut their losses and cut him, then he could sign another big contract. This is what Lavernius Coles was able to do.

Posted by: skinfanman | June 20, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget, the Allen and Shanahan(s) thing is just the icing. The cake is that Vinny is gone. GONE!

Seriously though, this team has turned around it's respectability in an unbelievable fashion. Now it's time to win.

Posted by: isnadd | June 20, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Pro Bowl tackle that can play both spots, what's the problem.
...

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 20, 2010 8:31 PM
........

well...that's the problem. i SO love having the problem of deciding whether to play all-pro tackle jamal brown at left or right tackle...sweet...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 20, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Good problem to have

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 20, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

> Saints got too little in the trade.
> JB is/was probably the best Saint OT but is coming off injury and didn't want to be in NO because of contract issues.
> JB was OK teammate; not a locker room problem guy.
> JB got a lot of holding and false start penalties.

Posted by: chris_zz | June 20, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Just want to say that if you're a dad/father (there's a difference) and you've posted on father's day before 6 PM, you're FOUL.

Nah, just kidding. Happy father's day, gumps!

chris_zz, I've read those same things from Saints fans. There are a few concerns, but all in all I think it was a good trade for the 'skins... still don't quite understand the stipulations and all, but the trade definitely upgraded the offensive line with out a doubt.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 20, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THIS IS A REAL GM MOVE!!!!

Best trade the Redskins have made in the past 10-years. yes, better than Mcnabb! 5-year pro, former 1st round Left tackle for a 4th round pick. that's a good deal!!!!

when we trade Cooley next year, we'll get picks back too.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 20, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I knew the SKINS would make a move at OT and said so a few days ago. NOW, they're ready to get in shape, and play ball.

A $10,000 fine for HAYNESWORTH? The man with the richest payout in NFL history? What a joke. It should be $100,000 a DAY.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 20, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"I've been reading Saints fan reaction to the trade. Here's what a lot of them say:
> Saints got too little in the trade.
> JB was OK teammate; not a locker room problem guy.
> JB got a lot of holding and false start penalties.Posted by: chris_zz"

What I learned from the Jason Campbell and Jammal Brown trades: draft picks seem to be a lot more valuable than they once were. Even just switching positions in the same round makes a difference in a trade.

Why? for one thing, with a player you know what you're getting, and that's part of the problem. Jammal Brown had a medical flag attached to him when he was drafted, and now he's coming off a lost season. The Saints were agitating to get Bushrod and Zach Strief onto the field even before he got hurt, and now they've added Charles Brown to the mix. With Brown wanting an extended, expensive deal, they were strongly motivated to move him -- as the Skins would be with Haynesworth, except for that 21 million bucks.

With a draft choice, you don't know who you'll pick, but you can project what you're going to pay him, and in most cases it's a hell of a lot less than you'll pay a vet. Plus you get to decide what area to invest in.

Still, it's surprising these vets bring so little in trade. And fans are all too aware of it.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 20, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Pro Bowl tackle that can play both spots, what's the problem.
...

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 20, 2010 8:31 PM
........

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 20, 2010 8:41 PM
..............

oh yeah, the other part of the problem is that the position not manned by jamal brown will be manned by 4th overall pick TW...again...sweet.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 20, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | June 20, 2010 8:37 PM

Tired of being abused on a regular basis, he's looking to play in a division without Andre Gurode in it.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 20, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Jamal Brown: "But I'm going to play wherever they want me to play."

Wow, talk about encouraging to a die hard 'Skins fan!

Bet my fellow RI Fans are encouraged by Brown's statement as well.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 20, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

"What Shanahan will do is tell fat Albert that the redskins have the control in this situation and let it be known that they are not going to trade him until they receive the compensations they feel is right. Tell fat al that if he wants to be traded he is going to play nose tackle and play it well to improve his value and get out of town. And if he decides to hold out then the redskins can just fine broke until they get their money back. Either way fat al has no control over the situation and the redskins are the ones in control because they own him for the next six years! Hail!"

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 20, 2010 1:43 PM

Beast,

Welcome to the discussions, first time I've seen your handle. Like your opinion on how to handle His Fatness but would just like to add a caution. While keeping control of the fat one should set a good example for others with similar thoughts, I think the unwanted daily media focus on the situation would do more harm than good to the team overall. Better to keep a roster of 53 who are motivated to winning and not distracted by the cancerous influence of that worthless piece of sh*t.

Posted by: bones21 | June 20, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 20, 2010 10:08 PM

I'm pretty sure he likes tap dancing on Gurode's head. If he could do that and eat five guys everyday, not get off the couch, bang skanks bareback, and not work out and play football he would be as happy as fat piece of shat with a whole cake in his fat paws.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 20, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for talent on the Oline.

Anyone critical of this move is stupid.

That is all.

...back to some World Cup.

Posted by: p1funk | June 21, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Happy Fathers day to those that are good fathers. If you're a less than average father....F U...

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 21, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 20, 2010 11:56 PM

The only tap AH would dance at is one pouring liquid bacon. Gurode ain't much good at the shotgun snap, but he whups up on slobs like Flabert, because he wants to.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 21, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Been away for the weekend, but like the new developments. Suddenly, we have talent, flexibility and depth on O line. If Trent W falters a little, we have a VERY solid plan for adjusting.

Dare I start to feel good about this team (like 11-5 good?)

Wow...

Posted by: edvar | June 21, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this kicks Heyer a little closer to the curb. It's all good.

Posted by: edvar | June 21, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

"I made Pro Bowls at left tackle, so I can play wherever they want me to play."

Jamal Brown

Haynesworth are you listening? Here is a Pro Bowler just like you that will do anything to help his new team, do you copy? 10-4?

Posted by: abxinc | June 21, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | June 21, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Not to get off the subject of the Jammal Brown trade, but I read something on ESPN insider that made me wonder. Something along the lines of the if the Lions really want Albert Haynesworth... then make them take the contract of another player such as Clinton Portis. The Lions would have to make good on a total of 15.43 million dollars to Portis/Haynesworth this season alone,but the bad part is Haynesworth would get to keep most if not all of the 22 million dollar bonus money. My question is what kind of compensation would Detroit offer us for two players of this caliber? To me this trade would benefit Detroit much more than it would the Redskins.

Posted by: robbkels | June 21, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Happy Fathers Day all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 21, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

WOOOW GUYS so glad we got a solid character pro bowl tackle, brown, not gaither. Dude got skill but no heart, we got brown n he's sounding like a Redskin already.

Haynesworthless aka butterball, aka The Cleat are you paying attention???

Ur the little kid who burns ur hand on the stove n doesn't learn then gets burned again. Then went smashkis with ur baby momma n got burned again. I think shanny holds Tubs until he get what we want, a 2nd rndr or a combo of this n nxt yr picks

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 21, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: robbkels | June 21, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Megatron and a 5th for AH and CP and KNOW i was stealing. Hell, they can keep the 5th, LOL.

I love CP when he is right... he balls on Sundays. Problem is he ain't right no more, or if he IS right, he won't be right for much longer. I think Shanny loves him some Ryan Torrain, and even if he doesn't, if you run CP, you are "stuck" with LJ, Torrain, used to be fast Willy, and suddenly things look more attractive to Mr Westbrook ex of Philly.

You put Megatron in the mix with whats already there... OMG.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 21, 2010 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Darnell Dockett rips Albert, Clinton and Redskins....

Posted by: TheCork | June 21, 2010 12:57 AM

Dude needs to shut his cakehole. I've always liked Dockett because he's a local guy, but I don't get why he thinks he can speak on guys he's never played with. Talking Haynesworth is one thing since it's such a hot-button topic right now, but bring CP into the equation is just gratuitous.

Robbkels, you can forget about the Skins trading Portis...he's probably one of only 2 backs on the roster that actually fit this system, plus his salary is such that it costs the same to keep him as it is to get rid of him. If given the choice, I'd think they'd rather have Portis earn his money this year and let him walk at the end of the season.

And that's not to mention that Portis probably has close to no trade value...he's a high mileage veteran guy coming of a stint on IR. Considering we just got a Pro-Bowl LT for a song and a dance, I doubt a veteran RB (the most fungible position on the field) on the downside of his career will draw more than a 7th round pick--if anything at all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

You put Megatron in the mix with whats already there... OMG.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 21, 2010 5:21 AM

That ain't gonna happen...he's about the only thing right with Detroit at this point and they'd be batsh*t crazy to deal him for ANY price. But I can't blame a guy for dreaming...or making such a deal on Madden just for giggles.

I agree with much of the RB analysis...I think Torain could be a nice piece if he can stay healthy. I just hate that we lack a true 3rd down back...which is why I'm anxious for us to shed LJ and Parker off the roster and make this Westbrook thing a reality.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh ok robbkels...now I see where you got this from. Here's the whole excerpt from ESPN.com:

Via Facebook, Donald writes: I am curious about Albert Haynesworth. Do you think Jim Schwartz or Lions brass would have interest in either trading for him (at a reduced rate) or claiming/signing him after he is released? I think he and Ndamukong Suh would be two unstoppable forces upfront for the Lions.

Kevin Seifert: Like many teams, I'm sure the Lions are conflicted about Haynesworth. When his head is right, Haynesworth can be a rare player. Schwartz built his scheme with Haynesworth playing defensive tackle at Tennessee, and I'm sure he could figure out a way for Haynesworth and Suh to play next to each other.

From a financial standpoint, many teams would jump at committing a relatively small total of $9 million guaranteed over the next two seasons. That bargain would come courtesy of the Redskins, who have already paid him $32 million.

Schwartz and the Lions would have to consider Haynesworth's well-deserved history of troublemaking and decide if he's worthy of insertion into their rebuilding process. After all of that, the hardest part of this decision is finding out how to pry Haynesworth away from the Redskins.

There is some thought that interested teams should wait for Haynesworth's eventual release, especially if the Redskins are successful in their efforts to capture part of his signing bonus. But if the Lions wanted to trade for him, and the Redskins just want to be done with this situation, it's worth revisiting a possibility we first broached in April.

Former Green Bay contract negotiator and current National Football Post columnist Andrew Brandt hatched a trade idea that would give the Redskins financial relief in another way. It calls for Haynesworth to keep all of the Redskins' money while the acquiring team takes on the expensive contract of another Redskins veteran -- namely, running back Clinton Portis.

Portis is due to make $7.2 million in 2010, of which $6.43 million is guaranteed. The Redskins would get some financial relief, and the new team would have to guarantee a total of $15.43 million for Haynesworth and Portis combined. The Redskins already have veteran running backs Willie Parker and Larry Johnson on their roster, while the Lions could surely use some backfield depth while Kevin Smith rehabilitates his knee injury.

You don't often see moves like this in the NFL. But you don't often see players demanding a trade from a team that has paid them $32 million over the past 15 months, either.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Hooray for talent on the Oline.

Anyone critical of this move is stupid.

That is all.

...back to some World Cup.

Posted by: p1funk

Anyone critical of this move is not in denial that $nyder has owned the team over a decade.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Best thing we can do:

o run him till his feet bleed
o fine him till we break even on our investment
o say no problem to not playing nose, you're now on special teams.

His value continues to diminish the longer he has an attitude and holds out. So hold onto him, put him IR, I don't care but don't cave in to the sob

Posted by: hatethemcowboys | June 21, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Refreshing attitude after Fat Albert!

Posted by: Pigman | June 22, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse