Colt Brennan predicts 'success right away' for Skins

Colt Brennan was the only quarterback selected in the two NFL drafts when Jim Zorn was the Washington Redskins' coach, and spent the past two offseasons as the third quarterback behind Jason Campbell and Todd Collins.

Since Mike Shanahan became head coach, both Campbell and Collins have been jettisoned. Two new quarterbacks - Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman - already have been added to the roster, but Brennan is actually more encouraged about his role in the organization.

Brennan interviewed with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan when he was coming out of college and Shanahan coached with the Texans. Shanahan has since made it clear that he's always been a fan of Brennan's.

"That kind of made things easy for me and put me at ease a little bit," Brennan said. "They expressed that I have some real talent and I got to really work and get this offense down so I can show that talent."

Like many players on the Redskins, Brennan has found that the organizational upheaval of the past few months has provided an infusion of vigor.

"What's been a really fun thing was Kyle, him coming in. He's a younger guy, younger coach, and he's unbelievably talented, but he's really easy to interact and be coached up by. He has a great understanding of what it's like to be a player, and the right things to be said to get that player to listen and kind of buy in. He's got a great sense of humor, as well. So there's a great balance of him and his work ethic and keeping [it ]fun."

The sense of humor is seen most in the meeting room, and it's a way to counteract the intense discipline of the offense, from reading the progressions of a play to the proper footwork required while passing.

Brennan said the atmosphere at Redskins Park is similar to what he's experienced elsewhere when he's been a part of winning teams - specifically during his period of success at Hawaii under then-Coach June Jones - and he predicts "success right away."

"One thing that is super fun, and the way this is relatable to June's offense, is June attacked defenses no matter what was going on," Brennan said. "We always had an answer to some degree. Last year it felt we always had to revolve around what the defense was doing. Well, this year, it's again we are attacking defenses.

"We are very aggressive. We are trying to score and score a lot. ...It's super exciting, because it's an offense where I get up in the morning, I like coming in, I like learning the new plays, learning the new concepts. I already see so much success at this time of year and compared to the last few years."

Brennan struggled with injury last season and spent the entire regular season on injured reserve. His rookie year was a whirlwind. He adjusted to the NFL while the team was acclimating to Zorn. That's why Brennan said 2010 feels like it's his first season in the league.

"Basically, I feel I've gained a ton of knowledge of this league and this game, but with me being injured, I feel I haven't felt like myself at all the last two years," Brennan said. "Even my first year when I was having success, I was like, 'Wow, this is a little easier than I thought.' And then last year, I was humbled having to get hurt, but also not having the success I had the previous year. So, through it all, I finally do feel healthy, I do feel the closest to myself in a real sense. I feel like this is my rookie year, and I'm coming in and I'm healthy and I have a brand new coach to get used to and a whole new coaching staff to prove myself."

But there are also different quarterbacks in front of Brennan, including McNabb. Brennan met McNabb while they worked at the same training complex in Arizona even before the Redskins traded for McNabb, so the pair was friendly before they were teammates. Brennan said it's comforting to know that he and McNabb are learning the offense together. Brennan has also developed by watching McNabb, realizing that the quarterback must trust himself to make plays - whether it's by running or passing downfield.

Brennan plans to take a week off to return home to California and go fishing with his father. He will then return to Redskins Park to train before reuniting with McNabb in Arizona in July. It's been an exhausting offseason, but Brennan has new coaches to impress and a team to try to make.

"Every year that you're competing, you're looking for a chance to get some playing time, compete for a position," said head coach Mike Shanahan. "It's very hard to be a quarterback in the National Football League. He's been working extremely hard to give himself every chance to make the football team."

By Zach Berman  |  June 24, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  quarterbacks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Safeties will be playing it safe less often
Next: Rookie LB Perry Riley likes the 3-4

Comments

Cult of Colt comeback!

Posted by: Keiser | June 24, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Unless he makes some major changes in his game, he's done. If I were him, I would be in the training room or weight room 24-7 until the preseason started. Instead, Colt will have a nice time fishing with his father. As I said, he's done.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Definitely LOVE the idea of getting away from that "take what the defense gives you" pu$$y crap.

Might have to get a kegerator for all the koolaid I'd be drinking if they lit up the scoreboard week 1 against the 'pukes.

HAIL!

Posted by: stevek20147 | June 24, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering…Why didn’t Kyle Shanahan draft Brennan if he was a fan?

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 24, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Cult of Colt'ers today is your day.

Posted by: Predator48 | June 24, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Sammy Baugh trophy winner. Some interesting names on this list.

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 24, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Foxsports.com ranked all the NFL players and the highest ranked Redskins are Albert Haynesworth (#56) and London Fletcher (#58).

Surprisingly enough, Colt Brennan isn't on the list...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Not that he's an authority on anything other than being a total d-bag, but Skip Bayless swears up and down that Colt Brennan will be a "star" in this Shanahan offense. As big an @sshat as he is, Skip Bayless is right about stuff like that more times than I care to admit. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to predict Colt will be a "star", but if he's even a solid and efficient backup that's a big win for the Redskins moving forward.

My biggest concern with Colt isn't whether he'll be able to pick up the offense or go out in preseason and play well. I'm more concerned with his lack of size and his ability to stay healthy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Blah blah blah. He'd better stop talking and start working out, cause something's wrong with him if he can't beat out Bartell for the 3rd string quarterback job. To be honest, he should probably be able to beat out Rex Grossman as well.....just saying......

Posted by: monk811 | June 24, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:21 AM
------------------------------------------
I'd add to this a poor work ethic and the attitude of a punk who doesn't want to work for what he gets.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Dude still appears to be mighty egotistical and presumptuous, despite having done nothing thus far in two-plus seasons with the NFL.

Senior Shanahan don't mince words -- so Colt would do well to read carefully and understand that he'll have to compete and hard just to earn a spot on the depth chart, and hopefully against another real QB prospect or two besides Wrecks Gross-man.

I'll also predict that Colt won't survive the cuts... especially given his misplaced humility and "fishing for fun" attitude.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 24, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | June 24, 2010 7:40 AM

Agreed...especially when you consider that Rexy completed a JaMarcus-esque 33% of his passes last year in this offense...

I'm still holding out hope that we can get our hands on Sage Rosenfels. That would be a GREAT pickup...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | June 24, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the way of the old regime still exists in some players, we need to cut him now before it spreads like a virus. I thought we got rid of all of that 'Vinny Cancer'.....

Posted by: monk811 | June 24, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 7:42 AM

He's brash and cocky, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing for a QB. Phil Rivers acts the same way for the most part and a lot of people seem to look the other way on it. But then again, he's got the game to back it up...

Where did you hear Colt has a poor work ethic? I'm willing to give him a pass for the last two years since Zorn doesn't know his butthole from a hole in the zone, and ended up on IR. You never know...maybe he'll pick up something good from McNabb and Shanahan.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

We are 1 McNabb injury away from being F*cked at the QB position, so one of those dudes better step up and be able to take the reigns.

Posted by: FedorEm | June 24, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

More trouble for AH...this dude is incredible...

Haynesworth's lawsuits keep piling up
Posted by Mike Florio on June 24, 2010 7:17 AM ET
Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has found himself on the wrong side of more than a few lawsuits. Most recently, a bank sued him for failing to make payments on a $2.38 million loan he took out in June 2009 -- only three months after signing a deal with a practical value of four years, $48 million. He also faces a lawsuit from a man seriously injured in an accident allegedly caused by Haynesworth, who allegedly was driving too fast. He's also battling with his ex-wife over health insurance and child support.

Then there's the $100 million paternity suit filed by an exotic dancer in New York.

A reader has tipped us off to another lawsuit involving Haynesworth. It possibly arises out of a group known as Crestview Townhomes, LLC. A pending lawsuit that had a court hearing on Wednesday includes Haynesworth and Bryan Puckett, two members of the Crestview Townhomes organization, and CP Construction, LLC. The plaintiff in the case is a company known as Dale and Associates, a Nashville engineering firm.

There's another lawsuit filed only against Haynesworth by Dale and Associates, which also went to court on Wednesday.

We've yet to track down any details regarding these cases. But we've got a feeling that the claims generally arise from Haynesworth and/or the other defendants owing money, and not paying the money.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | June 24, 2010 7:54 AM

So is every team...all you can ask for is a guy that's good enough to manage the game and don't turn the ball over. Which is why I continue to beat the drum for Sage Rosenfels...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Sage's success is not as great as the others I listed, but why is it so hard to develop a quarterback in Washington? I guess it's just one of those age old questions that can't be answered, like why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green? Why can't Ben stay out of women's bathrooms?

Posted by: monk811 | June 24, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Haha monk, I think it has more to do with the constant turnover. I'm sure you'll see a couple guys get developed here if the Shanahans (or at least their system) stick around for the long haul.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Turnover is the key: Hopefully less from the organizational standpoint, and more on the defensive side of the ball on Sundays.

Posted by: monk811 | June 24, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH CHARTERS CHARITABLE FOUNDATION

ASHBURN, VIRGINIA -- Washington Redskin Defensive Lineman Albert Haynesworth, in an apparent effort to rehabilitate his ever-worsening image with other players and fans, has decided to start his own charitable foundation.

Hayneworth's new non-profit organization, "G-Notes for G-Strings," will reportedly provide maternity leave benefits and "Lap Dance Lamaze" classes for strippers who are forced to take time off from their profession to have the illegitimate children of NFL “Players.”

Posted by: Vic1 | June 24, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Here, here...I'll second that, monk.

Damn, I can't wait for camp to start...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Colt, from what I understand, is that he isn't the best of practice guys. That is, he makes some poor reads and passes. However, he is a gamer, at least he was his first year. Unfortunately for Colt, I see a close race between him and Bartel.

Posted by: TWISI | June 24, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

This just in: Lawrence Taylor and AH have formed a corporation (Dumb and Dumber Inc.) and plan to open a chain of Gentlemen's Clubs along the east coast called "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Sue."

Posted by: dcarmy | June 24, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for Colt, I see a close race between him and Bartel.

Posted by: TWISI | June 24, 2010 8:25 AM

For what? The practice squad?

Redskins 2010 QB depth chart:

Donovan McNabb
Sage Rosenfels
Rex Grossman

Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

The Bog has a good thread on draft picks for players vs. players for draft picks.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 24, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcarmy | June 24, 2010 8:31 AM

The only reason I know this isn't true is because you couldn't possibly have an alliance involving "scrip" clubs without having Pacman Jones, Ben Roethlisberger, or Vince Young involved. I think it's in their contracts...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Lawrence Taylor walks on this one....

Book it!

Posted by: RedDMV | June 24, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

The only lineup Colt will be suiting up for will be as Chris Cooley's full-time Hype man /arse kisser after he gets the AX!

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 24, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Red, I love the Bog as much as the next RI hamster, but I gotta say that post was completely worthless...I mean, that was basically a transaction page. No analysis, no who got what with what picks...complete waste.

I'm not directing this at you in particular, but I'm not interested in comparing what this regime is doing compared to what the last regime did. It's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

And you know this from all the thousands of plays you have watched him run in practice like the coaches have?

Oh wait it must have been your assessment of his attention and smarts in the meetings rooms going over film for hours and grilling him with questions about Shanny's offense and what he should do in a particular situation.

Or did you just get this conclusion just by the over all feeling of everything you have seen and tried to teach to him?

Posted by: leevi98 | June 24, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Surprisingly enough, Colt Brennan isn't on the list...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

considering he is a 3rd string QB at tne moment...I'd would think not

Posted by: leevi98 | June 24, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 24, 2010 8:49 AM

Well played.

Colt Brennan = Flava Flav

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we can bash or praise any player on this team for anything done or not do done in the last 2 seasons...i mean the coaching and system were a joke....

let's wait and see what Colt as well as all the players do with the new regime before we throw them under the bus.

Posted by: leevi98 | June 24, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering…Why didn’t Kyle Shanahan draft Brennan if he was a fan?

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 24, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Maybe because he was not the GM and head coach and did not have much say in the matter...

Posted by: leevi98 | June 24, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Surprisingly enough, Colt Brennan isn't on the list...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

considering he is a 3rd string QB at tne moment...I'd would think not

Posted by: leevi98 | June 24, 2010 8:55 AM

Um, in case you didn't notice, that was sarcastic...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | June 24, 2010 7:54 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Sage Fosenfels. He is seasoned now and could be a Rich Gannon type... backup to relevant started late in his career.

Posted by: FedorEm | June 24, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired just from watching the highlights of that tennis match.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 24, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan = Flava Flav

Posted by: brownwood26

Colt Brennan....don't believe the hype!

Posted by: Predator48 | June 24, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired just from watching the highlights of that tennis match.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 24, 2010 9:12 AM

YOU'RE tired? Try being the guys having to play the same game for 3 days!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

8 LA Clippers Al-Farouq Aminu
9 Utah Greg Monroe
10 Indiana Luke Babbitt

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 24, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead
____
Weight room 24-7?? Why? Who says muscle bound QBs are better??? And he's taking a week off.. you don't think every other QB in the league is doing at least that much??? Look QB's will always blow their own horn but what's interesting is Kyle seems to like the kid. Dad meanwhile didn't draft a QB when guys like Tony Pike were available... Looks like Colt will get what he wants.. a shot. It's up to him now... And yeah I hope he succeeds.. if that makes me a member of the Cult so be it.

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I have a few questions, why is they guy still on the team? Wasn't Randle El a better QB than this guy? I thought that when they took away the #5 to give to McNabb they made him pack his stuff up.

He actually said "We are trying to score and score a lot" -- yeah. Let me clear up something, McNabb is going to score and score a lot. Brennan couldn't score a lot playing Madden.

Posted by: blackmanhl | June 24, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering…Why didn’t Kyle Shanahan draft Brennan if he was a fan?

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 24, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | June 24, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Because we chose him before they did.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 24, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44's 2010 NBA mock draft

1 Washington John Wall
2 Philadelphia Evan Turner
3 New Jersey Derrick Favors
4 Minnesota Wesley Johnson
5 Sacramento DeMarcus Cousins
6 Golden St. Ekpe Udoh
7 Detroit Ed Davis
8 LA Clippers Al-Farouq Aminu
9 Utah Greg Monroe
10 Indiana Luke Babbitt

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 24, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Diesel, I'm pretty sure that was Doug Gottlieb's (sp?) mock from ESPN this morning

Are you really trying to take credit?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | June 24, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44's 2010 NBA mock draft

1 Washington John Wall

________________________________________

I'm really hoping this guy lives up to his hype. The Wizards need some good vibes.

Posted by: TWISI | June 24, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811
____
I like Sage.. makes you wonder if Snyder didn't fire Schottenheimer would Sage have had a shot to start here and what he would have done with it. Meanwhile also makes you wonder if the Skins dump Colt how stupid will they feel if he turns out to be a solid QB on another team??? Lets at least give Colt a real shot to see how good he is before we talk about getting rid of him..

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

-- Yep, just add Rosenfels to the growing list of quarterbacks that had success when we let them go, such as Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Stan Humphries.
--------------
Brad Johnson wasn't too shabby after leaving, either.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | June 24, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Are you really trying to take credit?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | June 24, 2010 9:38 AM

Wasn't sure what Gottlieb said, so I researched it.

1. Wall
2. Favors
3. Turner
4. Johnson
5. Cousins

So yeah, I'll take credit for my own mock..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 24, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Just to clear up what is meant by "elsewhere when he's been a part of winning teams"
I am assuming they are talking about his High School where he attended Mater Dei in CA which is a HS powerhouse on a national scale. They sure arent talking bout his time at CU, oops. might be talking about Sadleback college, yeah that is real no jokin. He was the Juco transfer player of the year to Hawaii. Where at one point he got his team into the top 25. Until they played Georgia and he broke his hip. Anyone that thinks his size inst a problem should watch that game. I have seen few QBs look as helpless as he did in that game.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 24, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

1. Wall
2. Favors
3. Turner
4. Johnson
5. Cousins

So yeah, I'll take credit for my own mock..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 24, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough.......just sounded familiar to what I remembered from SportCenter this morning

Posted by: rupertpupkin | June 24, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"Yep, just add Rosenfels to the growing list of quarterbacks that had success when we let them go, such as Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Stan Humphries.Sage's success is not as great as the others I listed, but why is it so hard to develop a quarterback in Washington? I guess it's just one of those age old questions that can't be answered, like why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green?"Posted by: monk811

The Skins do develop QBs, and very effectively at times, and then let them go elsewhere. That's what happened with Green and Humphries. Charley Casserly was adamant about not paying Trent $4 mil a year, so he went to St Louis and got hurt in the preseason. Stan was a 6th round choice from a Div 1-AA college who was traded to San Diego (and Bobby Beathard, if I recall correctly) when their starter John Friesz went down to injury.

Rosenfels and Gannon probably shouldn't be included. Sage spent only his rookie year in Washington, and his career has been erratic. Gannon was basically passing through -- he'd already spent six seasons with NE and Minnesota when he hit DC and spent 3 more in Kansas City before finally landing in Oakland.

Why don't folks look this up? Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

anyone from hampton,VA?

Posted by: sthai75 | June 24, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I trust Mike Bruce and Kyle to figure out if Colt's worth keeping.

To the guy who said the thing about the sammy baugh trophy winner.

here is the list of them prior to Colt and how they did in the NFL:

1980 Mark Herrmann 40 games during his 11 year pro career
1981 Jim McMahon Epic Success
1982 John Elway Epic Success
1983 Steve Young Epic Success
1984 Robbie Bosco career cut short by injury, made a great chocolate milk though.
1985 Brian McClure Played in 1 game
1986 Vinny Testaverde Success
1987 Don McPherson Syracuse
1988 Steve Walsh 11-year career backup
1989 Jeff George Baldspot fail
1990 David Klingler Fail
1991 Ty Detmer Fail
1992 Elvis Grbac Same ring as Dilfer but was the backup.
1993 Trent Dilfer Has a ring, can't complain
2003 B.J. Symons Fail
2004 Stefan LeFors Fail
2005 Brady Quinn Fail
2006 Colt Brennan

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackmanhl | June 24, 2010 9:32 AM

That's what a lot of us are wondering, but I'm willing to trust the Shannies and see what happens.

They must have seen something they liked or he would have been gone long ago. I'm thinking elder Shanny likes the gambler in him.

Posted by: stevek20147 | June 24, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Further illustrates the fact that Zorn was an idiot and Snyderrato were even bigger idiots for:

1) bringing him in as "offensive coordinator" BEFORE they got a head coach and

2) hiring him as head coach.

Posted by: dc1020008 | June 24, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 10:00 AM

Bosco!!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | June 24, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead
____

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 9:31 AM
------------------------------------------
You'll note I said "training room or weight room". I would expect he needs to spend a fair amount of time looking at tape. In fact, if he would have done more of that last year, maybe he would have had a command of the offense instead of running around like a scared doe in the preseason. As far as being in the weight room - yes, he needs to spend some time in there because he is a) coming back from injury and b) has been injury prone. Better conditioning might lead to better play and better durability. I may have heard that somewhere...

This is a message to all Redskins fans. There is a new sheriff in town. He believes in holding players accountable and he is not interested in unrealized potential of players who have been around for the last few years. This preseason is all about where you are now. If Brennan enters the preseason throwing wounded ducks and running like a skiddish rabbit, it is all over. Shanny is not going to sit back and say, "He has great potential, let's give him another year of seasoning to develop". You can look at guys like Campbell, Ganther and Mitchell to understand this front office is not going to wait forever for guys to develop. Shanny might wait a year or two on guys he brought it, but he has no loyalty to anyone brought in under previous regimes. This means Colt better perform or he will be out.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

To sum up my post on the winners of the Baugh award.

7 of the QB's since 1980 to win the award, would have what I would call, above average success in the NFL. Out of the 26 listed. Thats a 1 in 4 chance for that award determining success at the next level.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

In honor of Colt, I'm going fishing with the guys today.... out the door in a minute.

Hoping to put some mahi and a couple of nice ahi in the boat.

J/K about the Colt part. I thought it was interesting that he mentions fishing the day wapo dragged out his story to feed the hamsters.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 24, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I don't get how you called Pennington average...dude has one of the highest completion % in NFL history and was a huge reason for the Dolphins going from 1-15 to 11-5 a couple years back. The big issue with him is that he's hurt a lot and you can't count on him for 16 games. I'd call him one of the most UNDERrated QBs in the league.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So how about that US win yesterday? After getting robbed twice in two separate games of legitimate game-winning goals and coming inches from putting the game away numerous times throughout the initial 90 minutes, those boys gutted it out and willed themselves to arguably the most emotional victory in US soccer history. That. Match. Was. Incredible. I think I watched the last 6 minutes of that game about 50 times on my DVR yesterday. Absolutely can't wait until Saturday at 2:30.

Oh yea, and Colt Brennan is great, nice attitude, blah, blah, blah...

Posted by: psps23 | June 24, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Brown,
I call him average exactly because of the issues you just listed. Guy messed up his arm so bad with NYJ that he went from being a bomb thrower to a dink and dunk guy. He is a great game manager.

There is nothing wrong with being an Average NFL starter, you don't go to the pro-bowl every year, but you can take a team to the playoffs in the right situation. Its the Brad Johnson's, of the league that keep the game worthwhile.

To me Average is the guys who are ranked 11-25 in the QB standings, who if they were to lose their job in 1 city could quickly move to another team and be a starter.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Brad Johnson wasn't too shabby after leaving, either.Posted by: InRealAmerica"

LOL Brad Johnson was a good QB long before he got to Washington. He'd spent six seasons with Minnesota and Vinny called him one of the five best QBs in the NFL at the time of the trade. He had a great first season in DC then struggled the following year, battling injuries and throwing more INTs than TDs. Washington let him go to Tampa where he finally won a Super Bowl. Don't forget the defense scored 21 points in that Super Bowl.

Seems to me if we're going to get on the Skins for not developing QBs, we should focus on QBs we actually tried to develop, and not on players who were already mature when they got here (like Gannon and Brad Johnson).

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Hoping to put some mahi and a couple of nice ahi in the boat.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 24, 2010 10:14 AM
------------------------------------------
Good luck fishing, and I get your fishing story reference. I let myself be "baited" because what else is there to do this time of year but rant and speculate?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I admit, I drink a lot during football season, but when Colt mentions the "Success in his first year", what exactly is he talking about?

Is he talking about that one average pre-season game?

Wow.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | June 24, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | June 24, 2010 8:03 AM |

It's because we can't keep one philosophy in place.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 24, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 10:35 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Gotcha Alex. Makes sense.

Am I the only one totally bored by talking about Colt Brennan? I mean, the 3rd string QB? Really?

Wake me up when dude actually plays in an NFL regular season game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

samson151

"Seems to me if we're going to get on the Skins for not developing QBs, we should focus on QBs we actually tried to develop,..."

The better question is, do NFL teams even bother to 'develop' quarterbacks?

I'd say no.

Impatience, head coaching turnover, unrealistic expectations, and money all mean that if a guy can't 'get it' within two years, he's a back up that somehow finds his way out of the league after a few years.

What franchises look for is the next Matt Ryan, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, Tom Brady or Matt Cassel: guys who show they have it right away.

Otherwise, a drafted 'developing' quarterback is forever the back up to the next boy wonder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 24, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse
----------------------

If your last dozen years is going to reach back to Heath Shuler and Gus Freheadbutt (1994 draft), then Trent Green should be in the mix as someone we should have developed more.

But also, tossing out guys who are projected as clipboard holders as somehow soiling our QB development history is unfair.

No one loses sleep when Micheal Bishop from KState doesnt work out for the Pats or when the Battleship Lorenzen fails the Giants.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 24, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Again, I allow for the fact that I was pretty well liquored up through the Z-man's tenure, but did I blackout and miss the fact that Colt did anything worthwhile in year 1? Is he talking about that one average pre-season game? Wow.
Posted by: WaitingGuilty
________
His first year Colt did this. And yes it was preseason BUT that was all he got a chance to play in. And that was a preseason that included Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. You wouldn't call this being successful? "Brennan led all 2008 NFL rookies in touchdown passes, passing yards and quarterback rating through the preseason. He finished the 2008 preseason with a strong performance, going 36-for-53, for 411 yards and three touchdowns and with no interceptions. For the preseason, Brennan's completion percentage was 67.9% and his quarterback rating was 109.9. "

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

We will draft a QB high next season. There is alot of talent at that position coming out.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 24, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Okay since its such a slow day and what not. Here is a hypothetical for ya all that requires some work... The NFL awards an expansion team and you are asked to help build its roster, you can take any available free agents right now as well as non starters on other team's rosters ah la the Texans a few years back. Who are you going to pick up?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Re: Sammy Baugh award

Seems like whoever was making the decisions about the award winnrs in the 80's was doing a lot better job than who's picking 'em now. It seems that once 1990 rolled around, receiving the award is almost a curse.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 24, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 24, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Errmmm... only Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were drafted for the 'right now factor'. Brady, Henne, and Cassel all started due to injury, and the jury is still out on Henne & Cassel being more than flashes in the pan.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 24, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Here's a cool screenshot of the Redskins' locker room on Madden '11:

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:41 AM

What is fred smoot doin in the redskins locker room?

Posted by: daddelonglegs | June 24, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

That's a tough one Alex

I looked at NFL.com's FA page, and it's not up to date. It still shows Jammal Brown with NO for 2010.

But I did notice Kevin Smith was out there, and I really like that kid.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 24, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Henne was drafted as Penningtons replacement, since they new he had limited time left. So they pretty much drafted him for right now.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 24, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Shanny might wait a year or two on guys he brought it, but he has no loyalty to anyone brought in under previous regimes. This means Colt better perform or he will be out. Posted by: RedSkinHead
_____
And I think that's double for McNabb and Grossman. McNabb better not disappoint because there will be a new QB in town to compete next year.. Remember what Shanahan did to Jake Plummer. As far as Colt yeah he needs to look good and beat Bartel but isn't this what we are talking about. The Redskins giving a quick hook?? If Colt is cut this year he will be picked up by another team. If that team gives him a chance to grow and he grows into a solid QB elseware.. then we might be adding Colt to the list of QB the Skins let go before they realized what they had.

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Here's a cool screenshot of the Redskins' locker room on Madden '11:

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:41 AM

What is fred smoot doin in the redskins locker room?

Posted by: daddelonglegs | June 24, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

When did McNabb become white?

also RE Sammy Baugh Award is for the most yards in a season...

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Damn somebody wasted 300 minutes of their life watching the same soccer game segment over and over. I can say for the first time ever that I'd rather be at work than do that.

Curious to see how Colt does in the offense but still have no more trust in him than Rex. At least Grossman has played legit games and been in a super bowl. Stay healthy #5.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | June 24, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

What is fred smoot doin in the redskins locker room?

Posted by: daddelonglegs | June 24, 2010 11:27 AM

Um, study your updated roster, dude...#27 in your program now belongs to Larry Johnson.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse
----------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 24, 2010 11:15 AM
------------------------------------------
No doubt, but there were a lot of draft picks in there picked with the expectation that they would become something more than a clipboard holder. I'm not suggesting this is anything more than a list of guys the Redskins drafted or signed as undrafted free agents.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 24, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

alex RE Sammy Baugh award. If you have ever seen a June Jones system this will come as no surprise. The QB that preceded Colt as a rainbow warrior timmy chang broke the record for passing yards i believe, then colt broke it. Throw the ball 80% of the time and the yards rack up. Wath an SMU game this year to see the future colt breenan.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 24, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | June 24, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Technically true, but they were certainly not expecting franchise material or pursuing a win now mentality which was the hypothesis of the original post.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 24, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I H8
ESPN.coms is better

One thing you see quickly, is there are No free agent QB's worth a look, unless you want to look at JaMRuss.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I actually think Brennan has real strengths as a QB, particularly his mobility and quick decision-making. But he's got three big flaws: average arm, sidearm delivery, and willowy frame that could break down if he ever had to play regularly. That's why he fell in the draft and that's also why he hasn't advanced much in his NFL seasons.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Isner finally beat Mahut...too bad tennis had to have a 3 day game to get any attention on the RI blog, but frivolous arguments routinely last 4 or 5 days here, so the collective response is 'Wussies!'

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

So true.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 24, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

H8
ESPN.coms is better

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse
Yeah, this would be a really bad year to start an expansion team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 24, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Well played matt...when I said "get any attention" I meant on a national stage, not on this blog. We all know anything goes up here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this would be a really bad year to start an expansion team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 24, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Most years are. I think you have to accept that with expansion teams in all sports, your starting of picking from the dregs. At least in the NFL you get the 1st pick in the draft.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld

"...they were certainly not expecting franchise material or pursuing a win now mentality which was the hypothesis of the original post."

I'd say any NFL team that drafts a quarterback high is looking for someone who's a player.

And Henne is.

And the fins do want to win now, that's why they've junked the very capable C Pennington for C Henne and have added B Marshall to be his go-to guy with D Bess.

The idea of the post is that NFL teams no longer draft quarterback to sit, learn, and absorb the game in the way they did a generation ago.

Teams look for any guy who--no matter how they get him--gets it and plays well right away.

That's why the the guys I listed--Ryan, Cassel, Flacco, Henne, Brady--stand as examples of what teams want now.

What this means in regard to C Brennan is that, well, he'd better get used to the phrase 'career back up'.

'Cuz that's what's going to be attached to his name from now on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 24, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"We will draft a QB high next season."Posted by: iH8dallas

You may be right. There are four QBs who look like strong candidates for round 1: Mallett, Locker, Luck, and Gabbert, possibly in that order. Then there's Christian Ponder and Pat Devlin very close behind them. For fans of undersized system QBs, there's Houston's Case Keenum, and for people who think Tim Tebow will be a good NFL QB, there's Terrelle Pryor. And two or three semi-knowns behind them, at least one of whom should go in the third or fourth round. It's a lot better class for QBs than either of the last two. And the Skins could get a good one even if they finish pretty well this season.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe
____
Does this go for Aaron Rodgers too???

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"It's not exactly a who's who list in the last dozen years: Chase Daniels, Jordan Palmer, Jason Campbell, Gibran Hamdan, Patrick Ramsey, Sage Rosenfels, Todd Husak, Heath Shuler, Gus Frerotte...Posted by: RedSkinHead"

Well, the original poster specifically mentioned Trent Green, Stan Humphries, Sage Rosenfels, and Rich Gannon, and another poster added Brad Johnson to the mix, so the discussion was mostly about the distant past. Nobody put Jay Schroeder on that list, but the Skins certainly developed him, from a guy who started only one game in college to one who threw for 4000 yards and led the club to the NFC championship game (and most importantly, brought Jim Lachey in trade). Obviously some development there, if not for Al Davis.

Jason Campbell has been discussed ad nauseum, but as for the others on your list, I don't know if it's fair to blame the Skins for not developing guys like Chase Daniel, a free agent passed on by 32 different teams with a total of what, 226 picks? He did wind up in NO, but behind Drew Brees. Guys like Jordan Palmer (pick 205, now behind his brother in Cincinnati), Gib Hamdan (pick 232, now with his 7th team, in Canada, career NFL passing yards= 7), Todd Husak (pick 202, now out of the league) -- really, how much was there to develop? Nobody else seems to have been able to do it, either.

Which leaves us with Heath Shuler, Pat Ramsey, and Gus Frerotte. Heath was a major bust, of course, and all we got out of him was a 3rd and a 5th from New Orleans. But Shuler's failure was Frerotte's opportunity, and you have to admit the Skins developed him, over four seasons from a 7th round pick to a Pro Bowl in 1997 and subsequent stints with the Vikes, Denver, Cincinnati, and Miami -- starting and going to the playoffs in three of those cities.

Pat Ramsey never went anywhere in Washington or NY. I'd count him a failure because of his high draft status.

It's harder to develop QBs in the past dozen years because of changes in the rules that have made it harder for teams to be patient with QBs, and patience is the essential ingredient at that position.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

But regime changed messed that up with Gibbs. Personally, I believe if you're not a top contender, let a young player play ahead of an armless old guy, ie Brunnell.

Posted by: TheMeccaHowardU | June 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

colt would have been an pre-season All pro under Spurrier. if he keeps touting pre season as a successful 1st year come on!!!

Under Spurrier he could have had a 300-yard preseason game against the opponents 3rd team.

He's still a 3rd string QB and i don't think he is being groomed for the future.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

themeccahowardu

"I may catch some heat for this but really, if the 'Skins kept Pat Ramsey, they could have had a pretty solid QB."

This begs the following question:

Which quarterback did the skins abandon too early and not try to retain?

pick'em:

Trent Green

Gus Ferotte

Jeff George

Pat Ramsey

Rich Gannon

Jason Campbell

Brad Johnson

Moe roles with Brad Johnson, the last dude to put up outstanding numbers at the quarterback position for the Washington Reedskins.

No need to re-hash Johnson's plight in D.C., but had dude been retained, we'd be having a whole other conversation right now about redskin quarterbacks.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 24, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 11:57 AM
=========================

Drew Brees: 6'0" 209 lbs.
Colt Brennan: 6'3" 212 lbs.

This (3rd year) is the perfect time for Colt to have a coach like Shanny and Shanny Jr.

Brennan = Theismann and you can take that to the bank! He'll be our starting QB in 2012. He'll get time this year, and start to push McNabb out in 2011 just like Theismann pushed out Kilmer.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I may catch some heat for this but really, if the 'Skins kept Pat Ramsey, they could have had a pretty solid QB. Before he got hurt his 2nd year, he was a good, air-it-out QB. But regime changed messed that up with Gibbs.
Posted by: TheMeccaHowardU
____
Well I agree with you. To me I think Ramsey was never really given a chance.. he didn't get half the shot Campbell did here. Lets review Ramsey won his first game as a rookie the next next he lead the league in passing after the first 4 or 5 weeks.. even beating the Pats (the last time the Pats lost that year before winning the SB). But defenses saw that Spurrier kept no one back to pass protect so they blitzed and Ramsey ended up getting killed. Next year Gibbs went with Brunell but when Mark struggled he made Ramsey starter.. Ramsey blew out NYG and SF and beat the Vikes knocking them out of the playoffs.. the games he lost to were the 15-1 Steelers and the SB heading Eagles twice (one game he almsot lead a comeback) But it was enough for Gibbs to name him starter.. then the following year Ramsey is chotheslined in the 1st half of the first game and Gibbs replaces him with Brunell for the rest of the season. Traded to the Jets he's there the one season Pennington isn't hurt. Traded to Denver he ends up behind Cutler. Talk about never getting a break.. But he did play for Shanahan and I say if say Rex or Colt gets hurt.. getting Ramsey wouldn't be the worse move Shanahan could make.

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing about Colt. He needs an opportunity to play in a real NFL regular season game. Tom Brady only became the star he did because the starter went down and he got the opportunity to get on the field.

I'm not wishing anything bad on McNabb, but if something does happen to him, I really hope it's Colt that takes the field. I want to see what he can do. Brady barely saw the college playing fields and see what he's done in the NFL. Imagine what Colt could be capable of with the display he put on in Hawaii.

He may be shorter than desired, but that's not the major indicator of success in this league. It's his play making ability and he's shown that in the past. It could be a really nice marriage with Kyle Shanahan's style of Offense!

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Colt might be a good fit for Shanahan's offense - in a Jake Plummer kind of way

Posted by: coparker5 | June 24, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

themeccahowardu

This begs the following question:

Which quarterback did the skins abandon too early and not try to retain?

pick'em:

Trent Green

Gus Ferotte

Jeff George

Pat Ramsey

Rich Gannon

Jason Campbell

Brad Johnson

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 24, 2010 1:26 PM
===================================

Trent Green

Especially since it is Charlie Casserley's fault for not offering him enough money and it was just 3 months before Snyder bought the team.

We would have had a young, mobile, strong armed QB to go along with a pretty darn decent offensive line and stephen davis in his prime.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 24, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

This begs the following question:

Which quarterback did the skins abandon too early and not try to retain?

pick'em:

Trent Green.... the Skins did give up on to soon but being he was replaced by Brad Johnson.. can't said they made a bad mistake goin with the better guy.

Gus Ferotte.... Gus got his shot here. problem was he wasn't consistant. Had a long career and did some good things.

Jeff George... Never should of signed him in the first place.. Caused Johnson to leave.

Pat Ramsey... Wouldn't have been a star QB here but have to wonder how much worse he would have been than Campbell?

Rich Gannon... Great career later but don't think anyone saw that coming.

Jason Campbell.. trading up to get him a huge mistake. Best we could get was a 4th round pick in 2 years for him? Next to Shuler the biggest draft bust at QB.

Brad Johnson... Best QB of all these here. Would have loved to see what he could have done on a Schottenhemer coached team. Huge mistake losing him.

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Ramsey... did play for Shanahan and I say if say Rex or Colt gets hurt.. getting Ramsey wouldn't be the worse move Shanahan could make.

Posted by: sovine08
================================

Ramsey is going to sign with the Saints.

Since his name was also mentioned, Brunell is going to sign with the Jets.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Where the heck did all these Sage fans come from???

Redskins 2010 QB depth chart:

Donovan McNabb
Colt Brennan
Rex Grossman

Book it!

Posted by: TKing1 | June 24, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Re: Which quarterback did the skins abandon too early and not try to retain?

Moe makes a srtong point for Brad Johnson, and I'll never understantand why Snider brought in Jeff George when Brad had just had an excellent season for the Skins

But I'm going with Trent Green. He could have been our franchise QB for a LOOOONG time. He was a very good field manager with the brains to run a complicated offensive system.

Trent Green

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 24, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm hopping we draft Gabbert next year. He's a big guy with a strong arm, and he has very good mobility. Kinda in the John Elway mold, and we all know how well Shanny did with him. I'm hoping that the Skins pick will be in the latter half of the 1st round, and is likely to still be available.

Of course I might be slightly biased, 'cause my wife is from Columbia, MO, and my inlaws still live there.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 24, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

This begs the following question:

Which quarterback did the skins abandon too early and not try to retain?

pick'em:

Rich Gannon... Great career later but don't think anyone saw that coming.

Posted by: sovine08 | June 24, 2010 1:48 PM
======================================

I don't agree that BJ was better than Trent Green, and I'm not just saying that because Green had a better career QB rating. I think Green was more mobile and was a great fit for Norv Turner's offense.

In addition, the jury is still out on Jason Campbell. We may be looking back on his trade as the biggest mistake Shanny made.

He had a QB rating of 86.3 last year.

McNabb's QB rating his first 4 years:
60.1, 77.8, 84.3, 86,0

JC's QB rating his first 4 years:
76.5, 77.6, 84.3, 86.3

Now consider that JC was being coached by Zorn those last 2 years.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 24, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

How come Tony Banks isn't on that QB list?

Actually the guy the Skins cut loose way too early was Marty Schottenheimer

Posted by: coparker5 | June 24, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"'ll never understantand why Snider brought in Jeff George when Brad had just had an excellent season for the Skins"

Because Brad hadn't had such a good season. He played in 12 games, started 11, threw 11 TDs and 15 INTs. You're probably thinking of the year before.

Jeff George was coming off a good year in Minnesota where he started 10 games yet threw for 23 TDs and only 12 INTs.

But yeah, it was a big mistake, and a lot of folks knew it at the time.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Things would have been much different for Skins fans had Marty stuck around

Posted by: coparker5 | June 24, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"I may catch some heat for this but really, if the 'Skins kept Pat Ramsey, they could have had a pretty solid QB. Before he got hurt his 2nd year, he was a good, air-it-out QB."

I like Pat, and he threw the prettiest pass I've seen, but you have to admit it was often to the wrong target. Plus he threw everything hard, which makes it tough on the short to medium routes. Time has shown him to be a career backup who was probably drafted two to four rounds too high.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Drew Brees: 6'0" 209 lbs.
Colt Brennan: 6'3" 212 lbs.
"...Brennan = Theismann and you can take that to the bank! He'll be our starting QB in 2012."Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU |

You're sort of proving my point: Brennan is basically the same weight as Brees but 3" inches taller. Willowy, that is.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"McNabb's QB rating his first 4 years:
60.1, 77.8, 84.3, 86,0
JC's QB rating his first 4 years:
76.5, 77.6, 84.3, 86.3
Now consider that JC was being coached by Zorn those last 2 years.
Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU"

Looks like they're very similar in terms of QB rating. But don't forget McNabb went to the 3-13 Eagles as a rook (along with a first time head coach, Andy Reid), while Jason got to sit and watch his first year. Funny to remember how the Iggles fans booed when Donovan was drafted. I guess they never stopped.

I know Zorn gets grief here, but he was pretty successful in Seattle with his QB there, and Baltimore snapped him right up when he left Washington to coach Flacco. How many errors does Ozzie Newsome make?

I think Jason's in the right place. He was basically the wrong QB for Shanahan, who prefers guys who can make plays, not game managers like Campbell. So does Al Davis, so we'll have to wait and see.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I feel like if Rex Grossman and Colt Brennan just switched names I would immediately like Grossman more and I wouldn't even care about Colt any more

Posted by: bosshog7169 | June 24, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The point of the Ramsey/Green/Johnson argument is that you can't expect stability at the helm when you are changing Captains too often.

Norv had three Pro Bowl caliber QBs walk out the door (Frerotte, Green, Johnson), and then you just have a cluster of square peg round hole pairings:

Jeff George + Martyball = fail
Ramsey + Fun N Don't block = fail
Ramsey + circa 1992 Hog Ball = fail
Brunell + circa 1992 Hog Ball = fail
Brunell + updated Hog Ball = playoffs
Brunell + too many offensive minds = fail
Campbell + too many offensive minds = fail
Collins + too many offensive minds = playoffs
Campbell + Zorny WC - Oline = epic fail

So... would it really have mattered if we hung onto the QBs that could have been? Probably not, because how do you build a team when you switch from play action (Norv) to Martyball to Spread (Spurrier) to Power (Gibbs) to play action (Saunders) to West Coast (Zorn), and give none of those systems longer than 2 years to develop?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I can not believe this schmoe would take a week to go fishing with his dad. He is sooooooo done. Everyone knows, football before family. Everyone except Colt. Well, and his dad. Jerks.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | June 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

D.C. sports fans and media will be licking their chops when Colt breaks out. You want fireworks at FedEx? Kyle and Colt's the answer (freking Farve Jr.)

Posted by: GoSk1ns | June 24, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

some one here mentioned they want to see mcnabb get injured so brennan can play..I predict that brennan will be injured again in the pre-season and won't play. shanahan said he likes qb's with strong arm's and mobility which brennan lacks in both and he is a weakling who can't take a hit this bum was injured by 3-4th string players last pre- season and with a mediocre arm throws off his back foot. washington is in big trouble if mcnabb goes down unless this bartel guy can play, I know that gross-man and brennan are frauds and should not be in the league..but then again they are white.

Posted by: wathu19 | June 24, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Let's get ready to rumble!!! Can't wait until open camp. Colt's taking off the gloves this season!!!

Posted by: GoSk1ns | June 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

You know nothing about Colt's work ethic. I live in Hawaii and had friends on the team when Colt was there and they said he worked harder than anyone else on that team. Always some jerk who knows nothing shooting off his mouth skin head..I think you are the PUNK

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 25, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Colt was on IR for the 2009 season and NOT the 3rd QB. Woodson from UK was the 3rd QB last year.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | June 25, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wathu19
_____
So you have a problem with white players huh?? Look you want to find a fraud who literally stole money from his team.. look up JaMarcus Russell

Posted by: sovine08 | June 25, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hand_of_doom
_____
Unbelieveable.. You know tell me the player NOT taking at least a week away from football now before you call anyone a jerk. And BTW fishing with Dad sounds a lot better than playing touch football and breaking an arm like Steve Smith or getting into a fight in a strip club like Vince Young...

Posted by: sovine08 | June 25, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I checked out that screenshot from Madden '11 that was posted earlier and it looks like Colt is doing what we really all expect, heading out the door.

Posted by: jpd721 | June 25, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I never knew there were so many Colt Brennan Haters out there... Brennan and the UH Warriors were certainly over powered by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, especially by the Bulldog's defensive line. Colt didn't have a chance in hell to succeed in that game. In fact, besides the UH offensive line being completely over-matched, Colt was sick with the flu and got injured in that game.

I don't think the Washington Redskins fans have ever seen a healthy Colt Brennan on the field yet. Two years ago, he had a solid preseason performance but you ain't seen nothing out of this kid yet. The Shanny's keep in touch with coach June Jones about Colt's strengths and weaknesses and they obviously see some positives in keeping him on the roster.

Colt should win the second string quarterback position during the preseason. If McNabb ever goes down with an injury, watch out... Colt will light it up in a hurry!

Posted by: Hawaiian | June 25, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoSk1ns | June 24, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Chris Cooley may have a way to get Colt onto the field... As his Jock/Strap... Ball Sak supporter!

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 25, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins would be wildly stupid to get rid of Colt Brennan. But it wouldn't be the first time they got rid of talent and replaced it with an over-the-hill has-been.

Posted by: rash67 | June 26, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse